PDA

View Full Version : For Those of You Coming to Frisco for the National Championship Game

acbearkat
December 24th, 2021, 10:24 PM
If you want some good barbecue, I highly recommend Hard 8. I was there today with my parents and my niece, as my sister had to work today. My mom takes care of my niece while my sister is at work (my niece is nine months old). They have two locations close to Frisco in The Colony and Coppell. You might want to bring an N95 respirator with you into the restaurant because of all the smoke. I'm up here in the Metroplex spending time with my family for Christmas. I live in East Texas, but my sister lives up just outside Little Elm, which is just outside Frisco. I'm likely trying Mod Pizza next week. My mom said it's really good. I think I saw someone make a comment about Hutchins in another thread, or that maybe that was just Orangebloods (the Rivals website for the University of Texas; I'm a UT fan and Sam Houston alum). Hutchins has locations in both Frisco and McKinney. Just be prepared if you go to Hard 8 or Hutchins to spend quite a bit of money on food. The brisket at Hard 8 was great. I enjoyed it. I don't get to have barbecue very often, but I enjoy a good brisket without barbecue sauce, as barbecue sauce makes me gag. We three barbecue restaurants in my hometown of Lufkin, which is just south of Nacogdoches, which is where Stephen F. Austin State University, better known as SFA is located. By the way, I heard about Hard 8 on here.

For those of you coming to the game have fun, and just enjoy yourselves here in Texas. Also, if you get a chance go to Legacy West if I'm correct, and go eat at a place called North Italia. That's an excellent Italian restaurant in Plano, and they also have a Shake Shack as well in that area.

JSUSoutherner
December 24th, 2021, 10:36 PM
If you want some good barbecue, I highly recommend Hard 8. I was there today with my parents and my niece, as my sister had to work today. My mom takes care of my niece while my sister is at work (my niece is nine months old). They have two locations close to Frisco in The Colony and Coppell. You might want to bring an N95 respirator with you into the restaurant because of all the smoke. I'm up here in the Metroplex spending time with my family for Christmas. I live in East Texas, but my sister lives up just outside Little Elm, which is just outside Frisco. I'm likely trying Mod Pizza next week. My mom said it's really good. I think I saw someone make a comment about Hutchins in another thread, or that maybe that was just Orangebloods (the Rivals website for the University of Texas; I'm a UT fan and Sam Houston alum). Hutchins has locations in both Frisco and McKinney. Just be prepared if you go to Hard 8 or Hutchins to spend quite a bit of money on food. The brisket at Hard 8 was great. I enjoyed it. I don't get to have barbecue very often, but I enjoy a good brisket without barbecue sauce, as barbecue sauce makes me gag. We three barbecue restaurants in my hometown of Lufkin, which is just south of Nacogdoches, which is where Stephen F. Austin State University, better known as SFA is located. By the way, I heard about Hard 8 on here.

For those of you coming to the game have fun, and just enjoy yourselves here in Texas. Also, if you get a chance go to Legacy West if I'm correct, and go eat at a place called North Italia. That's an excellent Italian restaurant in Plano, and they also have a Shake Shack as well in that area.
Mod is okay. It's a national chain and it's pretty much everywhere. It's nothing next level, but it's good.

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2021, 11:16 PM
I think I saw someone make a comment about Hutchins in another thread, or that maybe that was just Orangebloods (the Rivals website for the University of Texas; I'm a UT fan and Sam Houston alum). Hutchins has locations in both Frisco and McKinney. Just be prepared if you go to Hard 8 or Hutchins to spend quite a bit of money on food. The brisket at Hard 8 was great. I enjoyed it. I don't get to have barbecue very often, but I enjoy a good brisket without barbecue sauce, as barbecue sauce makes me gag.

Good barbecue is like a good steak: it does not need A-1 sauce all over it.

Agreed on Hutchins: good but expensive. If you have the time, Goldee's in Ft. Worth made it to #1 on the Texas Monthly survey this year but there will be a 2-3 hr. line. Pecan Lodge in downtown Dallas is also a solid option, but it's a long way from Frisco. If the cost of brisket is too expensive ($24-30/lb), turkey is a solid substitute and half the price.

Gil Dobie
December 24th, 2021, 11:34 PM
Fast Food Burgers - In-and-Out
BBQ - Hard 8
Steak - ?
Mexican - ?

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2021, 01:28 AM
BBQ - Hard 8
Steak - ?
Mexican - ?

Steak---Randys Steak House ---Frisco , Bobs Chop House , Pappas

Gil Dobie
December 25th, 2021, 08:49 AM
Steak---Randys Steak House ---Frisco , Bobs Chop House , Pappas

Going to be in the area a couple months, so hopefully, we can try them both, and more.

Panther88
December 25th, 2021, 10:45 AM
BBQ - Hard 8
Steak - ?
Mexican - ?

Steak - I strongly suggest Lawreys off the Dallas north toll. Slightly expensive but well worth it. Also, the prime rib melts in your mouth like ice cream on a 104 degree Dallas summer day.

If the htown vacinity were evident, there are too many ma/pa places and food trucks I would easily recommend in the Porter/New Caney area. The ntx chain "Chuys" and Pappas box, pre-packaged bull gets far more positive recommendations than they should. Elote (sp?) should NEVER come from a can and has to be grilled on the cob, inside the husks.

The question one needs to ask self is are you seeking Mexican food, bland tex-mex, or more Carribean friendly Spanish food? Any place which doesn't have tostadas con pollo doesn't get my $$$. Love central american/more Carribean based foods.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Steak - I strongly suggest Lawreys off the Dallas north toll. Slightly expensive but well worth it. Also, the prime rib melts in your mouth like ice cream on a 104 degree Dallas summer day.

If the htown vacinity were evident, there are too many ma/pa places and food trucks I would easily recommend in the Porter/New Caney area. The ntx chain "Chuys" and Pappas box, pre-packaged bull gets far more positive recommendations than they should. Elote (sp?) should NEVER come from a can and has to be grilled on the cob, inside the husks.

The question one needs to ask self is are you seeking Mexican food, bland tex-mex, or more Carribean friendly Spanish food? Any place which doesn't have tostadas con pollo doesn't get my $$$. Love central american/more Carribean based foods.

Trying Lawrys this time around.

dewey
December 25th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the post acebearkat! We were planning to hit Hard 8's. I will have 2 of my sons with. Was there a non smoking section?

Worst case we will hit Pecan Lodge and get takeout from Hard 8's. Then hit Hutchins after the game as that is our yearly tradition.

Dewey

NDSUtk
December 25th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the post acebearkat! We were planning to hit Hard 8's. I will have 2 of my sons with. Was there a non smoking section?

Worst case we will hit Pecan Lodge and get takeout from Hard 8's. Then hit Hutchins after the game as that is our yearly tradition.

DeweyHe means smoke from the bbq. The restaurant doesn't allow smoking. We have done Hard 8 two or three times. It's tasty but in my experience the Colony one is not as good as the one in Coppell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

dewey
December 25th, 2021, 08:05 PM
He means smoke from the bbq. The restaurant doesn't allow smoking. We have done Hard 8 two or three times. It's tasty but in my experience the Colony one is not as good as the one in Coppell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ahhh. I gotcha. Thanks. We will make sure to hit up Hard 8's.

Dewey

Gil Dobie
December 25th, 2021, 09:06 PM

Lawrys is now on my list. I like authentic Mexican, my wife is more tex-mex. Caribbean food is great too, I usually stop at Tony Oliva's at Target Field for a Cuban Sammich. Orlando Cepeda had a good Caribbean stand at the SF Giants game. The best was curried lobster at a mom & pop place in Jamaica. Outdoors, cats running around between the tables. Have to check out both.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Going to be in the area a couple months, so hopefully, we can try them both, and more.

There is also a Mortons in Dallas as well.

Gil Dobie
December 25th, 2021, 09:30 PM
There is also a Mortons in Dallas as well.

I've been to one in Chicago. Like to try different places when we are on the road.

DFW HOYA
December 25th, 2021, 09:59 PM
I've been to one in Chicago. Like to try different places when we are on the road.

A Google search for "steakhouses near frisco tx" turns up a number of good, non-chain choices.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2021, 10:02 PM

I understand that. We do that as well. WE are going to hit some of our favs but still try 2-3 new ones.

Gil Dobie
December 25th, 2021, 10:06 PM
A Google search for "steakhouses near frisco tx" turns up a number of good, non-chain choices.

We do that too, but it's nice to get another person or more, opinion that has been there.

JSUSoutherner
December 25th, 2021, 11:19 PM
Is the one in Chicago any good? I saw it when my fiancee and I were walking around downtown but I haven't tried it yet.

Gil Dobie
December 26th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Is the one in Chicago any good? I saw it when my fiancee and I were walking around downtown but I haven't tried it yet.

From what I remember, it was good. My wife notified me that we have a gift card for Morton's, so it will be on the list.

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2021, 09:41 PM

Caribbean friendly Spanish food? Lmao 😂

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2021, 09:49 PM
Lawrys is now on my list. I like authentic Mexican, my wife is more tex-mex. Caribbean food is great too, I usually stop at Tony Oliva's at Target Field for a Cuban Sammich. Orlando Cepeda had a good Caribbean stand at the SF Giants game. The best was curried lobster at a mom & pop place in Jamaica. Outdoors, cats running around between the tables. Have to check out both.

those cats will be on the menu tomorrow

katss07
December 29th, 2021, 02:18 AM
In N Out? Really?

If you’re into a fast food burger or chicken go to whataburger if in Frisco. It blows out that cali chain harder than JSU gets blown out of the second round.

Chalupa Batman
December 29th, 2021, 06:04 AM
In N Out? Really?

If you’re into a fast food burger or chicken go to whataburger if in Frisco. It blows out that cali chain harder than JSU gets blown out of the second round.

I wanted to love Whataburger. I really did. But it's been merely good, or okay, in all the times I've ate there. I think it's been 5 times. Maybe my expectation was way too high and that never gave them a fair chance, but to me it is nothing special. It's good, but nothing that stands out as a must have.

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 07:54 AM
In N Out? Really?

Well we can't all play Incarnate Word in round 2.

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 09:43 AM
In N Out? Really?

I like In N Out better.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2021, 09:46 AM
I like In N Out better.
Both places suck, they are the Waffle Houses of the burger world.

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Both places suck, they are the Waffle Houses of the burger world.

True, but they are one of the better fast food burger places. Which fast food burger place do you like?

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 10:13 AM
True, but they are one of the better fast food burger places. Which fast food burger place do you like?
Culver's. Because Curds

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Culver's. Because Curds

We have one in town here. Culvers is good overall.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Culver's. Because Curds
This. Culver’s is better that both of the other ones referenced.

POD Knows
December 29th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Both are better that McDonalds, Hardee’s, Burger King and the other large chains. I like Culver’s better.

MSUBobcat
December 29th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Anyone who's planning to fly to Frisco getting nervous about all the cancellations?? I may be interested in your game tickets..... xsmiley_wix

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Anyone who's planning to fly to Frisco getting nervous about all the cancellations?? I may be interested in your game tickets..... xsmiley_wix
Which cancellations? Flight cancellations? If the game is cancelled a ticket will do you no good.

Hammerhead
December 29th, 2021, 01:05 PM
I'm sure the poster is referring to flight cancellations since they asked about people planning to fly.

Which cancellations? Flight cancellations? If the game is cancelled a ticket will do you no good.

Chalupa Batman
December 29th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Culver's. Because Curds

Yeah Culver's is awesome, but we have those up here. When I travel I like to eat at places I can't eat at when I'm home. Hence I'll be hitting up In N Out.

MSUBobcat
December 29th, 2021, 01:17 PM

I'm sure the poster is referring to flight cancellations since they asked about people planning to fly.

Yes... the flight cancellations. Obviously, I'm not looking to buy tickets to a cancelled game (if that were to happen). I was looking to fly out of Denver myself, but with all the cancellations and since I'd be driving to Denver anyway, I think I'll mitigate my risk by just planning to drive the whole way if we decide to come. The better half is swamped at work so she's unwilling to commit at this time. I may end up having to leaver her (behind xlolx).

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 01:26 PM

Yes... the flight cancellations. Obviously, I'm not looking to buy tickets to a cancelled game (if that were to happen). I was looking to fly out of Denver myself, but with all the cancellations and since I'd be driving to Denver anyway, I think I'll mitigate my risk by just planning to drive the whole way if we decide to come. The better half is swamped at work so she's unwilling to commit at this time. I may end up having to leaver her (behind xlolx).

JSU reading comprehension strikes again.

I've flown twice in the past week so I'm not worried. They've only cancelled a couple hundred flights. Delta alone runs 4000 flights a day so as long as you are flying to a major airport (like DFW) you shouldn't have an issue. Even if they cancel your flight they just put you on another one. Which for an airport like DFW is usually an hour or so later.

I'm more concerned about weather issues on the flight back.

Out of Denver if you fly United or American there should be an bunch of flights direct to DFW.

DFW HOYA
December 29th, 2021, 05:11 PM
I've flown twice in the past week so I'm not worried. They've only cancelled a couple hundred flights. Delta alone runs 4000 flights a day so as long as you are flying to a major airport (like DFW) you shouldn't have an issue. Even if they cancel your flight they just put you on another one. Which for an airport like DFW is usually an hour or so later.

Two points:

1. If you're flying Delta, know that DL flies 25 flights a day through DFW, but only four from MSP (where many Delta flights for MSU and NDSU fans would connect through). The only carrier with the capacity to cover cancellations is American, and even they aren't that good due to the airline scheduling models which seek to fill every flight 100% on every day. If your flight is cancelled expect a 12 to 36 hour wait because no one is rolling up a new plane to meet the demand.

2. Southwest is also an option but many of the same rules on cancellations apply--they are usually better than AA when it comes to rebooks. However, know that SWA only flies from Love Field, not DFW.

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Two points:

1. If you're flying Delta, know that DL flies 25 flights a day through DFW, but only four from MSP (where many Delta flights for MSU and NDSU fans would connect through). The only carrier with the capacity to cover cancellations is American, and even they aren't that good due to the airline scheduling models which seek to fill every flight 100% on every day. If your flight is cancelled expect a 12 to 36 hour wait because no one is rolling up a new plane to meet the demand.

2. Southwest is also an option but many of the same rules on cancellations apply--they are usually better than AA when it comes to rebooks. However, know that SWA only flies from Love Field, not DFW.
Delta isn't the only airline. It's just the only one I use and why I mentioned it.

Also you don't have to go direct from MSP to DFW. Itd be a pain but if Delta cancelled a flight and you really had to get somewhere you could probably be routed from MSP to DTW or ATL to DFW pretty easily. Again, only as a backup. But based on my experience, you'd likely snag a $500 voucher out of the deal.

Moral of the story: when you fly through hubs you have more options and airline-based flight cancellations matter less.

Lorne_Malvo
December 29th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Delta has cancelled my flight before and put me on a United or American flight with no charge.

MSUBobcat
December 29th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Delta has cancelled my flight before and put me on a United or American flight with no charge.

I'm just worried about the cascading cancellations. All these people have to get on a flight if canceled and I don't have much room for error. This isn't some event that can be missed due to a travel snafu, like Christmas or your wedding or something. This is important!

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Packing up tomorrow, hitting I-35 Friday.

swaghook
December 29th, 2021, 08:13 PM

For anyone passing through OKC stop in to a Tuckers for a damn good burger. I like Culvers's but Tuckers beats them by a long shot IMO. Tried both In N Out and Whataburger and I don't see the reason for the hype for either.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2021, 08:27 PM
For anyone passing through OKC stop in to a Tuckers for a damn good burger. I like Culvers's but Tuckers beats them by a long shot IMO. Tried both In N Out and Whataburger and I don't see the reason for the hype for either.

Agree

Swag.....you 9/9 on these title games for going down?

JSUSoutherner
December 29th, 2021, 08:44 PM
Packing up tomorrow, hitting I-35 Friday.

Making a week out of it?

swaghook
December 29th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Swag.....you 9/9 on these title games for going down? Yes we have always bought our tickets in August since the second go around so we have not missed a game in Frisco yet. Didn't get the best seating the first year but that was a scramble to even get tickets right after the semi-final game. Also our first time was a quick one down and back now we go early and enjoy some time in TX.

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 09:43 PM
Making a week out of it?

2 1/2 months of it. Rented a house north of Dallas. Large national sports memorabilia show in Dallas the week after Frisco. Lot of Minnesota people in the hobby, go there, plus friends from AZ, KS, ND should be there. Probably head to San Antonio for a few days, and check out some other sites, maybe a Stars game.

Gil Dobie
December 29th, 2021, 09:54 PM

We won't be going thru OKC, but I looked it up and it looks good. We like to try new places like Zombie Burger in Des Moines, or Burger Me in the Donner Pass were good stops. Stella's in Bellevue, NE, is probably our favorite. Good old greasy burger. I've never in my live heard any hype about Whataburger. They are around us in Florida where we hang out but prefer Steak and Shake. Not saying they are bad, just prefer Steak and Shake. No In N Out in Florida, so we will go there at least once.

Hammerhead
December 30th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Many fans who want to attend this game live near smaller airports that don't have many flights to begin with so there probably isn't another DFW flight in an hour. Even if there was, it could be full of other fans travelling from ND/MT to the game. Fargo has about 20 outbound flights scheduled on the 7th with only three of those direct flights to Dallas.

JSU reading comprehension strikes again.

I'm more concerned about weather issues on the flight back.

Out of Denver if you fly United or American there should be an bunch of flights direct to DFW.

CopperCat
December 30th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Two points:

1. The only carrier with the capacity to cover cancellations is American.

Not sure if you're referring to covering cancellations to DFW from MSP specifically, but your point isn't true in any case. Other airlines do have the capacity to cover via reroutes, it just might take another stop (via SLC, SFO, or LAX) to get there.

This mess that is going on in Seattle should be resolved in about 5 days when the weather normalizes. That will resolve alot of the problems we are seeing right now specifically with Delta. The omicron excuse the airlines are using is a farce. Everyone was understaffed for the holiday rush, which is the real reason for so many cancellations.

JSUSoutherner
December 30th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Many fans who want to attend this game live near smaller airports that don't have many flights to begin with so there probably isn't another DFW flight in an hour. Even if there was, it could be full of other fans travelling from ND/MT to the game. Fargo has about 20 outbound flights scheduled on the 7th with only three of those direct flights to Dallas.

My point is those three straight from Fargo to Dallas aren't your only way to get to Dallas. You can fly from Fargo to Denver or MSP. Both of those are major hubs that can get you to Dallas.

Every single flight out of Fargo is to a major hub. Literally any of them can get you to Dallas same day unless there's weather or you're catching a late flight.

DFW HOYA
December 30th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Not sure if you're referring to covering cancellations to DFW from MSP specifically, but your point isn't true in any case. Other airlines do have the capacity to cover via reroutes, it just might take another stop (via SLC, SFO, or LAX) to get there.

Certainly, other carriers can and do reroute, but I was speaking to the capacity at DFW, where 86 percent of traffic goes through one airline (AA), with limited service through UA and DL and none on Southwest. By sheer options, it's easier to get a flight rebooked out of AA to different places than the other carriers.

The good news is that there are no weather issues forecasted for the next ten days.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Dallas+TX

MSUBobcat
December 30th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Certainly, other carriers can and do reroute, but I was speaking to the capacity at DFW, where 86 percent of traffic goes through one airline (AA), with limited service through UA and DL and none on Southwest. By sheer options, it's easier to get a flight rebooked out of AA to different places than the other carriers.

The good news is that there are no weather issues forecasted for the next ten days.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Dallas+TX

Weather in Dallas wouldn't be the issue. I would think there's little chance that weather would prevent a plane from landing in Dallas. I'd be more worried about flight cancellations from my originating point or connection, i.e. SLC, Denver or MSP. My only concern would be MAKING it there on time (or a reasonable proximity to the scheduled ETA). As long as I made it TO the game, we'll work out getting home later. That's future-me's problem and I **** on him all..... the.... time.... xdrunkyxxlolx

MSUBobcat
December 31st, 2021, 10:48 AM
Welp... while half in the bag watching the Peach Bowl, we booked our flights and hotel. The little lady decided to pull the trigger. Probably knew I was going to leave her behind. Maybe we'll run into some of ya at the recommended food joints.

Panther88
January 1st, 2022, 09:41 AM
Weather this time of year is iffy. Today has a high of 82 and Monday night it is predicted to dip at 27.

Bring flip-flops/shorts/tees and big coat/gloves/skull hats. Who knows how the weather will flip on game-day.

Gil Dobie
January 1st, 2022, 10:24 AM
Weather this time of year is iffy. Today has a high of 82 and Monday night it is predicted to dip at 27.

Bring flip-flops/shorts/tees and big coat/gloves/skull hats. Who knows how the weather will flip on game-day.

Forecast looks great, 60 degrees.

Gil Dobie
January 3rd, 2022, 06:29 PM
Tried Jack in the Box tonight. Cluck Sammich and Onion Rings. Exact same Onion Rings as A&W and Sonic. Sammich ok.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2022, 09:25 PM
Tried Jack in the Box tonight. Cluck Sammich and Onion Rings. Exact same Onion Rings as A&W and Sonic. Sammich ok.
Jack in the Box, what, no road kill available?

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2022, 12:52 AM
The eagle has landed. 10:30 Monday night. :D

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2022, 06:24 AM

No armadillos in sight. Never tried Jack before, not in a hurry to go back.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2022, 12:18 PM
Chicken Waffle with Gravy for lunch today. Embracing the southern flavors. From a ma and pa cafe, not Waffle House.

TheRevSFA
January 4th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Hope to run into some of y'all fine folks this weekend.

I'll be wearing Sam Houston gear Friday night...because I said if a fundraiser got to a certain amount that I'd do it.
Saturday you'll find me in the end zone in SFA gear. Come say hi

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2022, 04:36 PM

I'll be wearing Sam Houston gear Friday night...because I said if a fundraiser got to a certain amount that I'd do it.

Randys Steak House. 6pm Friday Frisco

Gil Dobey you are invited also.

POD Knows
January 4th, 2022, 04:39 PM

Dude

What was that drink you were serving at the tailgate at the NDSU EWU game. I was thinking about that the other day.

JSUSoutherner
January 4th, 2022, 05:34 PM
I'll probably be the only one in the DFW metro wearing JSU gear. I just got my hat cleaned so I'd appreciate y'all not dumping beer on my head. :)

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2022, 06:12 PM

Thanks, coming down Saturday morning. Taking my grandson to his first Bison game.

SeattleCat
January 4th, 2022, 07:32 PM
picked up a SRO ticket today, can't wait for Saturday!

Puddin Tane
January 4th, 2022, 07:38 PM

that had to be a helluva fundraiser.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Puddin Tane
January 4th, 2022, 07:47 PM
Forecast looks great, 60 degrees.

hope it holds up. Looks like a little front may be pushing thru on game day.

froze a couple days ago…puddin dont do cold. Ill be watching in my foot jammies, then hibernate till March

TheRevSFA
January 4th, 2022, 10:10 PM
Dude

What was that drink you were serving at the tailgate at the NDSU EWU game. I was thinking about that the other day.

western son blueberry vodka and lemonade.

TheRevSFA
January 4th, 2022, 10:11 PM

thanks sir. If I don’t see you there, I’ll definitely see you Saturday morning

Bisonoline
January 4th, 2022, 10:33 PM
thanks sir. If I don’t see you there, I’ll definitely see you Saturday morning

WE are going to Rudys BBQ for breakfast tacos at 7am. Eat then head to a friends tailgate.

Chalupa Batman
January 5th, 2022, 01:28 AM
that had to be a helluva fundraiser.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It was. An NDSU fan who is an admin for the FCS Fans Nation Facebook and Twitter pages started a Gofundme for a local food shelf the week before the NDSU-JMU semifinal game. If it got to $500 he would wear a JMU jersey in the Fargodome and throw a streamer when JMU scored a TD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/16/james-madison-north-dakota-state-charity/

As it blew past $500, other fans (like the Rev) also stepped in and said they would wear their rivals’ gear at certain thresholds. An EWU fan topped them all when he said he would get a GrIz tattoo if it reached $15,000.

Which it did:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/matt-wears-a-jmu-jersey-for-charity?

mvfcfan
January 5th, 2022, 05:45 AM
I'm getting on the road tomorrow morning to head down to Texas from Indiana. Pulling for Montana State because I want to see the upset and a new champ. I don't have any MSU gear, so I'm going to wear my Texas State "Bobcats" gear. I think most will understand who I'm rooting for.

I'm also going to try to drive all non-interstate routes all the way down. That should make for an interesting road trip. As a semi truck driver I get sick of being on the interstate all the time.

TheRevSFA
January 5th, 2022, 06:57 AM
It was. An NDSU fan who is an admin for the FCS Fans Nation Facebook and Twitter pages started a Gofundme for a local food shelf the week before the NDSU-JMU semifinal game. If it got to $500 he would wear a JMU jersey in the Fargodome and throw a streamer when JMU scored a TD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/16/james-madison-north-dakota-state-charity/

As it blew past $500, other fans (like the Rev) also stepped in and said they would wear their rivals’ gear at certain thresholds. An EWU fan topped them all when he said he would get a GrIz tattoo if it reached $15,000.

Which it did:

yeah I wasn’t about that tattoo life xlolx. I should have made my price higher but the gentleman who runs FCS Reddit is a sam alum and he’s wearing a SFA shirt so it works out. All of the podcasters who take part in podcasts on FCS Fans Nation are wearing their rivals gear. Worth it to help the kiddos

TheRevSFA
January 5th, 2022, 07:11 AM
WE are going to Rudys BBQ for breakfast tacos at 7am. Eat then head to a friends tailgate.

7 for tacos? What happened to starting tailgating at 6? You've gone soft xlolx All seriousness, looking forward to seeing you

MSUBobcat
January 5th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Which it did:

Great story. Always love the fan bases doing fundraisers. The annual Can the Griz fundraiser (not sure what they call their side) prior to Cat-Griz generates an enormous amount of food and money to the local food banks.

Winterborn
January 5th, 2022, 09:07 AM
My point is those three straight from Fargo to Dallas aren't your only way to get to Dallas. You can fly from Fargo to Denver or MSP. Both of those are major hubs that can get you to Dallas.

Every single flight out of Fargo is to a major hub. Literally any of them can get you to Dallas same day unless there's weather or you're catching a late flight.

Yup.

I am a Delta fan and always fly through MSP. American and United have left me high and dry too many times.

JSUSoutherner
January 5th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Yup.

I am a Delta fan and always fly through MSP. American and United have left me high and dry too many times.
I fly Delta pretty much exclusively. I hate MSP almost as much as I hate Detroit. Nothing is ever open to eat when I fly through MSP and I always land in Detroit at like gate A1 and have to walk the whole ass terminal to like A40 something. There are definitely worse airports, but those two always annoy me for those reasons.

I'm flying through Atlanta on Friday on the way down and DTW on the way back Sunday.

Winterborn
January 5th, 2022, 02:15 PM
I fly Delta pretty much exclusively. I hate MSP almost as much as I hate Detroit. Nothing is ever open to eat when I fly through MSP and I always land in Detroit at like gate A1 and have to walk the whole ass terminal to like A40 something. There are definitely worse airports, but those two always annoy me for those reasons.

I'm flying through Atlanta on Friday on the way down and DTW on the way back Sunday.

MSP was one of the best airports (domestic) I have been through pre-COVID. Ever since then, it has gone down hill with how much is still closed and them gutting G-terminal. And I hear you on Detroit.

Schiphol and Incheon (massive amounts of green space for an airport) are my two favorite international airports so far. Berlin-Tegal was on my list (now closed) mainly because it felt like an old Cold War movie. xlolx

Detroit, O-Hare, Sea-Tac, Cleveland, JFK, LAX, and Charles De Gaulle round out my not a fan list. I avoid Charles De Gaulle if at all possible. Security, when swapping certain flights, is just a complete disaster. LAX isn't much better. Denver security has also been a massive mess since COVID due to them shutting down the North security and getting rid of the TSA Pre-check on the south side last year.

Two airports on my visit list are Changi (Singapore) and Haneda (Tokyo).

TheRevSFA
January 5th, 2022, 03:52 PM
MSP was one of the best airports (domestic) I have been through pre-COVID. Ever since then, it has gone down hill with how much is still closed and them gutting G-terminal. And I hear you on Detroit.

Schiphol and Incheon (massive amounts of green space for an airport) are my two favorite international airports so far. Berlin-Tegal was on my list (now closed) mainly because it felt like an old Cold War movie. xlolx

Detroit, O-Hare, Sea-Tac, Cleveland, JFK, LAX, and Charles De Gaulle round out my not a fan list. I avoid Charles De Gaulle if at all possible. Security, when swapping certain flights, is just a complete disaster. LAX isn't much better. Denver security has also been a massive mess since COVID due to them shutting down the North security and getting rid of the TSA Pre-check on the south side last year.

My least favorite airport in the US is Memphis. What a dump, just like the city itself.

I haven't been to Haneda, but I have done Narita and that's an interesting airport when you are just coming off of a 14 hour flight and trying to connect to your flight to Manila xlolx

Dublin's terminal 2 is my favorite international airport. Love it. I think my favorite airport in the USA is probably Raleigh-Durham. I also like PDX.

For this weekend, I'm doing the Houston-Hobby to Dallas-Love run. So easy to get in and out of.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2022, 04:01 PM
My favorite airport to fly into is Aéroport de Moorea Temae, not because of the airport, but for the fun ahead of staying on the island.

Bisonoline
January 5th, 2022, 04:06 PM
7 for tacos? What happened to starting tailgating at 6? You've gone soft xlolx All seriousness, looking forward to seeing you

7 because thats when Rudys opens. :D

JSUSoutherner
January 5th, 2022, 05:21 PM

Yeah I'd probably like MSP outside of Covid. But the restaurants all close at like 7 or 8 and I can never find anything good to eat on the way home. Last time I was there the only thing open was McDonalds and even if I hated myself enough to eat that garbage the line was a mile long.

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Their burgers weren't bad. When we lived in Oregon it was one of the closest fast food places to our last house. We tried their tacos once and that was enough. :)

Winterborn
January 6th, 2022, 09:17 AM
My least favorite airport in the US is Memphis. What a dump, just like the city itself.

I haven't been to Haneda, but I have done Narita and that's an interesting airport when you are just coming off of a 14 hour flight and trying to connect to your flight to Manila xlolx

Dublin's terminal 2 is my favorite international airport. Love it. I think my favorite airport in the USA is probably Raleigh-Durham. I also like PDX.

For this weekend, I'm doing the Houston-Hobby to Dallas-Love run. So easy to get in and out of.

Landing after 14 hours flying is an experience no matter what. Doing it in a foreign country that doesn't list out items in English is just icing on the cake. At least if you ask an airline employee for help, they almost always speak pretty good English.

In one of my trips to South Korea I left Monday morning through Detroit, landed at my destination late on Tuesday. Then flew back home though Detroit to MSP, then home on Thursday afternoon. Time I landed in MSP my body was so messed up from jet leg that I had no clue where I was at. xlolx

PDX is another good one that I forgot about. Last year the crossover between the terminals was (still is?) under construction and you had to go out and back through security. Not a big deal if you had a long layover. Though when I was going through they were setting record highs (114) and the AC was down. But it was a nice airport prior to that and should be again. Bonus is that they have a Deschutes shop in the concourse, along with a bunch of other local beer for purchase. xnodx

Winterborn
January 6th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Yeah I'd probably like MSP outside of Covid. But the restaurants all close at like 7 or 8 and I can never find anything good to eat on the way home. Last time I was there the only thing open was McDonalds and even if I hated myself enough to eat that garbage the line was a mile long.

Don't blame you on that. I would rather eat a protein bar than McDonalds.

There used to be a pretty good selection till about ten pm but talking to one of the waitstaff at the Stone Arch they said getting help and dealing with MN COVID policy has been very difficult.

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2022, 09:25 AM

There used to be a pretty good selection till about ten pm but talking to one of the waitstaff at the Stone Arch they said getting help and dealing with MN COVID policy has been very difficult.
Yeah even the food courts been closing down early. I like Firehouse and Moe's but they're both closed by the time I get in.

Hammerhead
January 6th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Restaurants not in airports are also closing early. Here in Fargo some of the fast food places close at 7:00 or 8:00 PM. The Jimmy John's near our house is closed on weekend and the closest pizza joint for us that has been around for decades is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Restaurants not in airports are also closing early. Here in Fargo some of the fast food places close at 7:00 or 8:00 PM. The Jimmy John's near our house is closed on weekend and the closest pizza joint for us that has been around for decades is closed on Sundays and Mondays.
The Taco Bell down the road from my apartment has been closing at 4PM.

Which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2022, 03:28 PM
The Taco Bell down the road from my apartment has been closing at 4PM.

Which I'm pretty sure is illegal.
They should open at 4pm and close at 2 am

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2022, 03:33 PM
YES.

Winterborn
January 6th, 2022, 04:27 PM

Know your customers.

Drunk munchies are hard to resist.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Know your customers.

Drunk munchies are hard to resist.
I mean nobody that works is going to risk a lunch at that place and then commit to a productive afternoon. It is happy hour food and then getting the base down for the impending morning hangover. This should be their mission statement

marenlee
January 6th, 2022, 07:38 PM
Their burgers weren't bad. When we lived in Oregon it was one of the closest fast food places to our last house. We tried their tacos once and that was enough. :)

This makes me sad. Jack in the Box tacos are one of my favorite things in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Decided to jump on one of the hotel cancelations, instead of the 1.5 hour drive. Grandson enjoyed pepfest.