PDA

View Full Version : What is more impressive about this weekend?

Mountain Panther
September 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
1. FCS Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois going on the road to beat FBS Iowa State and Northern Illinois.

-or-

2. Division II North Dakota and Chadron State going on the road to beat FCS Southern Utah and Northern Colorado.

IMO, it's the DII victories, since they both seemed to do it so convincingly.

"I just realized how ridiculous I look......"
http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/090807mp_uni_isu_fb_72.jpg

89Hen
September 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
IMO, it's the DII victories, since they both seemed to do it so convincingly.
xsmhx I predicted both of those. As far as I'm concerned both DII's were favorites.

Gil Dobie
September 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM
xsmhx I predicted both of those. As far as I'm concerned both DII's were favorites.

I agree about the DII's, I expected both to win, and win easily. Thought UNI would have a tougher time. Same with SIU. So I'll go with a strong #1.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Your missing a Div II win by Abilene Christian over ranked Texas State...a very dominating win at that according to Bobcat posters...

appfan2008
September 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
the wins by siu and uni take the cake for me

bisonguy
September 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM
The DII wins aren't suprising. SUU didn't win any GWFC conference games last year, and their only conference win in 2005 was over Northern Colorado.

Abilene Christain's win might be closer to SIU and UNI.

skinny_uncle
September 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
The amazing thing about the SIU win was the way they did it, coming from behind in the fourth quarter. We were 4-6 on fourth down conversions. Talk about pulling one out of the fire!

FargoBison
September 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Beating UNC isn't impressive, they are terrible. SUU is a bit better and I would say it was very impressive how the Sioux handled them. I was also impressed with UNI and SIU. That comeback for SIU most have been something else and for UNI taking down a in-state FBS is always nice.

mistersykes
September 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I was a bit surprised/impressed by the butt-wiping that North Dakota gave SUU (I thought that they might win, but not by that much), and Abilene Christian dominated as well. The Chadron State win didn't surprise me at all. SIU and UNI had great wins which I thought would be toss-ups. I would weigh the DII and FCS wins as equally impressive.

JALMOND
September 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
The most impressive thing about this weekend, Portland State welcoming the Ducks and Beavers fans to PGE Park to see that we, too, play big time football in Portland, then going out and laying the biggest egg ever seen in this city. It would not have been as bad had there not have been so many people wearing orange and big "O"'s throughout the stands. As it is, Glanville and Co. have once again relegated us as the laughing stock in Portland.

The most impressive thing is watching the run and shoot trying to punch it in from inside the one on six tries and failing each time. Welcome to big time football in the city of Portland, Ducks and Beavers fans!!!

brownbear
September 9th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I was impressed by the win, but the fact that Chadron State shut out Northern Colorado. This would be like an FCS team shutting out an FBS team, even bad ones. Has that ever happened?

JohnStOnge
September 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I was impressed by the win, but the fact that Chadron State shut out Northern Colorado. This would be like an FCS team shutting out an FBS team, even bad ones. Has that ever happened?

Yes. I don't know about all I-AA/FCS but I keep a database for I-AA/FCS playoff teams vs. I-A/FBS. There were six instances in which I-AA teams that made the playoffs shut out I-As:

1978 UMass 27, Boston College 0
1985 Akron 24, Kent State 0
1990 Youngstown State 27, Ohio 0
1993 Youngstown State 19, Akron 0
1996 Western Illinois 17, Northern Illinois 0
2002 Northeastern 31, Ohio 0

I gotta say again, however, that there isn't as much difference between D-II and FCS and there is between FCS and FBS. My favorite illustration (again):

2003 D-II Valdosta State 45, I-AA seminfinalist Florida Atlantic 17

FCSFAN
September 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I was impressed by the win, but the fact that Chadron State shut out Northern Colorado. This would be like an FCS team shutting out an FBS team, even bad ones. Has that ever happened?Just last year, Richmond 13-0 over Duke. Not comparable with a D-II team shutting out a bad FCS team. The D-II team's wins this week were expected, even over Texas State.

Plus D-II's academic standards are much more relaxed than D-I, and FCS and FBS share the same standards.

brownbear
September 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for answering. I had no idea that it had been done several times.

cats2506
September 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Chadron is good and has Whitehead who will be the all time all division rushing leader by midseason, they return 19 starters from last years playoff team, UNC sucks.

I was surprised that SUU didn’t do a little better in fact they scored more points on the Griz in WaGriz than they did at home against D2 ND.

I would say I was more impressed by the wins over the FBs teams; I was also impressed this weekend with how bad Michigan really is.

CopperCat
September 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Wins over FBS teams, especially SIU for the way they did it.