PDA

View Full Version : Jax State over Chatty 33-19

JaxSinfonian
September 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM
JSU seemed to continue their struggles from the Alabama State debacle last week, but got it going in the second half, with a little help from the Mocs. Total of six turnovers in the game from UTC, leading to 17 points for the Gamecocks.

10,123 in attendance for a brutally hot, sunny game, with a 2:30 p.m. kickoff. Nice crowd from Chattanooga.

Best outcome from the game: Jack Crowe says he's scrapping the two-QB "system" we started the year with, and will now be starting Cedric Johnson, a juco transfer with a good set of legs. Now if the OL will stiffen up a bit we might just make a run at a cnother conference title.

appfan2008
September 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
chatty is looking like a pretty bad football team this year...

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM

WCU, too....oh well, less competition for us to get the wins we would like to get to make it into the playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Unfortunately, Chattanooga played a top 10 DII team instead of playing WV Who or Webber Cooker International.

As the scoreboard today showed...even nationally ranked FCS teams can get beaten by a good DII team (and ACU was just barely ranked in DII).

As for the JSU contest, 4 minutes left in the game, on the road, with 4 turnovers (to that point), and a backup QB (actually 3rd string) with no previous college starts (hell, he hasn't even been at Chattanooga for 9 months)...and at that point it was still anybody's game.

Fortunately, will have Miller back this week...and this game helped give the Mocs a good look at who is his backup.

Good game by JSU...glad to know that the series will continue another 4 years (UC has signed the paperwork, just waiting on JSU)

Maroons
September 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I'd like to hear from more of the JSU fans. Did you guys really get it all straightened out? And who do you play next week before my Colonels come to Alabama?

Cocky
September 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
We need to improve quite a bit. We play Memphis next week in Memphis. Should be a good test to see if we are improving. If Memphis beats us we will still have a long ways to go.

JaxSinfonian
September 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Good game by JSU...glad to know that the series will continue another 4 years (UC has signed the paperwork, just waiting on JSU)

The Anniston Star says this morning that we signed the contract. See y'all in Finley next year. Big River Brewery, here I come.

Maroons, there are still a lot of question marks, but settling on a true starting QB was the first step. Defense has not been the weak spot I thought it would be so far this year. But it looks from your WCU result that our D will have its hands full with your running game in two weeks. Speaking of QBs, is Josh Greco still with Eastern? Looks like Holland has developed into a quality starter.

You guys have Western next, right? Punish them for killing the Battle of the Bluegrass. I work with a couple WKU grads. I will be pulling out the goat jokes this week.

Cocky
September 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I work with a couple WKU grads. I will be pulling out the goat jokes this week.

Just don't let them close to your goats. Remember it is a tradition at WKU.

Golden Eagle
September 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
And West Virginia Tech if goats are not available it seems.

ElonPride
September 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately, Chattanooga played a top 10 DII team instead of playing WV Who or Webber Cooker International.

How about not slighting our wins, to justify your loss.xnonox Over the previous 2 season, Elon played and defeated top 25 D-II teams (1 top 10 team), all while SoCon fans labeling Elon as "terrible." I think you may have to bit the bullet this year and take all the heat you get.

appfan2008
September 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
yeah two wins from utc and wcu never hurt when trying to add up some wins

Maroons
September 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Greco is still with Eastern and he played 2 or 3 series late in the game against WCU. He was 1-6 passing and looked lost most of the time. I don't think anyone knows what to make of it. It is as if he is suffering a Chuck Knoblach like meltdown. I feel very bad for him.

As for wku... we are making our last trip in what could be a long time to play the godless heathens in Bowling Green. I guess I need to be careful or this post will end up in the smack thread... but we certainly plan to show them that being the third FBS team in Kentucky doesn't make them the third best program.

gophoenix
September 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM

WV Wesleyan offers more than the maximum of 25 scholarships allowed in the SAC. Why don't you just get the job done instead of playing the blame game.

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
WV Wesleyan offers more than the maximum of 25 scholarships allowed in the SAC. Why don't you just get the job done instead of playing the blame game.

First let me say, so what if WVW has more scholarships than CN? If there is anything we have learned recently, it is not the amount of schollies you provide, it is how you use them.

But I digress,

My only point was, there is a world of difference between playing a top 10 Carson Newman (any of the top 10 could play with the middle to lower end of FCS) and Webber and Wesleyan (if you don't see that, your not much a of student of football...Wesleyan has won 5 games in the last 2 seasons in a weak DII league).

Chattanooga was derided for losing to Carson Newman, fans (just like the Mocs football team) didn't not respect them and CN bit 'em (just like ACU did to Texas State yesterday).

My comment was not a slap at Elon (though it was a retort that all Non DI games are not the same)...if WCU or Wofford or anyone else would have played them, I would have made the same comment (I could have used WKU as an example too, but I chose to mention only SoCon schools)...because the comment wasn't meant as a slight of a SoCon team...so get the chip off your shoulder.

Actually, I applaud your school for knowing how to properly schedule a tune up game...the Chattanooga admin should take notes (because the minute that CN game was scheduled, a number of Moc fans...me included...said "yikes, we could lose that one")

NashMoc
September 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Chattanooga had better athletes than Jax St. on the field. However, and more importantly the Gamecocks were better coached. The Mocs suprised me with their play after their poor defensive and offensive performance last week. Chattanooga QB had 6 turnovers which accounted for the loss. I know that JSU caused the fumbles and interceptions and congrats to them. All I am saying is that UTC's linebackers and offensive line looked much improved from last week. It was uplifting to see these go toe to toe with a FCS opponent and have a good showing.

Cocky
September 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Chattanooga had better athletes than Jax St. on the field. However, and more importantly the Gamecocks were better coached. The Mocs suprised me with their play after their poor defensive and offensive performance last week. Chattanooga QB had 6 turnovers which accounted for the loss. I know that JSU caused the fumbles and interceptions and congrats to them. All I am saying is that UTC's linebackers and offensive line looked much improved from last week. It was uplifting to see these go toe to toe with a FCS opponent and have a good showing.

You must have watched a different game than me. I wouldn't swap Chattanooga's players for JSU's based on athletic ability. I'm also not sure our coaching is any better either.

Neither teams OL is very good and Chattanooga needs more WRs if the QB is going to have a chance.

NashMoc
September 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
You must have watched a different game than me. I wouldn't swap Chattanooga's players for JSU's based on athletic ability. I'm also not sure our coaching is any better either.

Neither teams OL is very good and Chattanooga needs more WRs if the QB is going to have a chance.

Mocs do need some help at WR. The starting 5 on the OL did a pretty good job against JSU. However, there is virtually no depth as evident by the fact that the starters played every snap against Carson-Newman. I think this was a winnable game for the Mocs. Poor coaching from Allison and staff caused UTC to go home losers. Players were better than JSU.

NashMoc
September 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I am really glad that this series will continue. These have been pretty competitive games and I think that there is a chance to grow a really good rivalry here. Now we just have to develop the deep seeded contempt for one another.

I will start JSU fans eat boogers!

citdog
September 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I am really glad that this series will continue. These have been pretty competitive games and I think that there is a chance to grow a really good rivalry here. Now we just have to develop the deep seeded contempt for one another.

I will start JSU fans eat boogers!

i actually heard that! if chatt could have held onto the ball this game wouldn't have been close, i saw it on tv, the slowest LB i ever saw had two LONG returns of turnover for jsu

NashMoc
September 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM
i actually heard that! if chatt could have held onto the ball this game wouldn't have been close, i saw it on tv, the slowest LB i ever saw had two LONG returns of turnover for jsu

It still would have been close, but Chattanooga would have won. D only gave up 16 despite 6 turnovers. I was surprised by the LB play, those guys were flying around the ball. I am just hoping that they can keep their spirits up going into conference play. A real question given the coaching issues we currently have.

Cocky
September 10th, 2007, 09:27 PM

He is one of our slower ones. He only run a 4.6 forty. I guess Chattanooga must have some of the slowest RBs and WRs ever if it took that long to catch him.

It must really hurt to get beat by a bunch of non-athletic, slow football players.

nothingbutjsu
September 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'll put my 2 cents in. It was the hardest game in the world to watch until the 4th qtr. Neither team had a lot of spark.

I couldn't believe how few UTC fans were at the game. I bet there wasn't 100. It's only a 2 hour drive from Chattanooga to the Gem of the Hills. Do you guy's care that little.

OFF TO BEALE STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

citdog
September 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
He is one of our slower ones. He only run a 4.6 forty. I guess Chattanooga must have some of the slowest RBs and WRs ever if it took that long to catch him.

It must really hurt to get beat by a bunch of non-athletic, slow football players.

you will find out that the SoCon is a little tougher that where you are next season, when you go 0-9 in our conference

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
How about not slighting our wins, to justify your loss.xnonox Over the previous 2 season, Elon played and defeated top 25 D-II teams (1 top 10 team), all while SoCon fans labeling Elon as "terrible." I think you may have to bit the bullet this year and take all the heat you get.

I have an ever growing respect for Elon, it seems they are getting back to their big south winning ways. xthumbsupx

I'm not looking forward to that game at your place, i'll be at home watching on TV though!

ElonPride
September 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I have an ever growing respect for Elon, it seems they are getting back to their big south winning ways. xthumbsupx

I'm not looking forward to that game at your place, i'll be at home watching on TV though!

Bad thing is, the game is over our fall break.....so the stadium will probably be empty xnonono2x It could end up being just as much of a home game for you guys, as it is for us!

It probably will be a good game. 2 seemingly high powered offenses could mean a lot of points! Your offense is a lot more 2 deminsional than ours though.

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I dont know about that, although we did run a skeleton playbook for the first game over West Georgia, your coach is a HUGE step forward from hamilton, as is our coach a huge step forward from moron last year.

I still expect any combination of GSU, Elon, Furman, Wofford, or citadel to be fighting it out for second. I just hope someone can upset the mountaineers.

I've been watching Elon ever since that upset over CCU last year!

ElonPride
September 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I dont know about that, although we did run a skeleton playbook for the first game over West Georgia, your coach is a HUGE step forward from hamilton, as is our coach a huge step forward from moron last year.

I still expect any combination of GSU, Elon, Furman, Wofford, or citadel to be fighting it out for second. I just hope someone can upset the mountaineers.

I've been watching Elon ever since that upset over CCU last year!

I'm not trying to be a self promoter, but Elon has made pretty good strides over the past year and a half. Lembo raised expectations from the players and has turned some into beleivers. The good thing is, most of the roster consists of freshman and sophmores. The stars on the team are all underclassmen. The growth is apparent, as the game on Saturday was the biggest scoring output in nearly a decade.

The team is still going through growing pains, but aside from the Citadel game last year (our biggest loss of the '06 season), the fans have seen great improvment.

I think both schools are lucky to have the current staffs in place (though Lehigh would speak differently of Lembo).

JaxSinfonian
September 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM
you will find out that the SoCon is a little tougher that where you are next season, when you go 0-9 in our conference

Hmm. I doubt Jax State will go 0-9 in the SoCon next year. Mostly because we're not going to be in the SoCon. It's Samford that's leaving the OVC, not us.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulldogs go 0-9 on their conference slate next year. But I think Jax State just proved there's at least one SoCon win we could have hoped for had that conference invited us.

Have fun with Samford.

Cocky
September 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Samford won't go 0-9 in the SOCON next year, maybe the OVC but not the SOCON.

catamount man
September 12th, 2007, 06:33 AM
At best they will go 0-8. Citdog should know that much math at least!xlolx xlolx

OL FU
September 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
At best they will go 0-8. Citdog should know that much math at least!xlolx xlolx

If THE Citadel beats you he counts it twicexnodx

but not knowing the difference between Samford and Jacksonville State is a little bothersomexsmiley_wix

JaxSinfonian
September 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
but not knowing the difference between Samford and Jacksonville State is a little bothersomexsmiley_wix

The difference:

Samford is the Alabama team the SoCon invited to join.

Jacksonville State is the Alabama team they should have invited to join.

xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
The difference:

Samford is the Alabama team the SoCon invited to join.

Jacksonville State is the Alabama team they should have invited to join.

xsmiley_wix

Maybe that is why Dog was confusedxeyebrowx

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Maybe that is why Dog was confusedxeyebrowx

i wanted JSU not Samford, i made one mistake. somebody gonna offer me a cigarette before you shoot me?

OL FU
September 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
i wanted JSU not Samford, i made one mistake. somebody gonna offer me a cigarette before you shoot me?

You should take as point of honor that we feeled so compelled to point out the one mistake you have made on this boardxnodx

and that we feel so inclined to sit around and chat about it:p

http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/gathering.gif

citdog
September 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
You should take as point of honor that we feeled so compelled to point out the one mistake you have made on this boardxnodx

and that we feel so inclined to sit around and chat about it:p

http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/gathering.gif

i do take it that way, nice to know that y'all get such pleasure from my posts!

JaxSinfonian
September 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM

What's one mistake, especially when balanced with such a reasonable opinion?

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
What's one mistake, especially when balanced with such a reasonable opinion?

you have given out too much reputation..........