PDA

View Full Version : 2021 AGS Survival Pool, National Championship: Montana State vs. North Dakota State

Chalupa Batman
December 18th, 2021, 08:45 PM
5 players were eliminated this week and just 3 remain, but now I have a little bit of a problem that I didn't have the foresight to anticipate. All of the 3 remaining posters (Chalupa Batman, crusader11, and Daytripper) have used both Montana State & North Dakota State already so no game winner can be picked. With no tiebreaker formula established for such a scenario, the best thing I can think of is to have the 3 remaining posters pick a winner and score for the championship game. It will be sort of like Preferred Walk-On's bracket challenge, and whoever ultimately wins the game will be less important than picking the score as close as possible.

For instance say I pick NDSU to win 23-17 (this is an example, not my pick), and Montana State wins 20-14. I would be off 12 points on the margin (NDSU went from +6 to -6), and off 6 points on the point total for a total of 18 points off. Whoever is closest to zero wins.

**I am certainly open to other suggestions on how to decide a winner.**

I sure hope everyone who participated enjoyed the game! It was fun to put on and am planning on doing something like this next season, though I do have a couple ideas I'm toying around with.

Here are last weeks results, along with teams picked that are still in the playoffs:

Advanced:

Chalupa Batman Montana State, North Dakota State

Crusader11 North Dakota State, Montana State

Daytripper Montana State, North Dakota State

Eliminated:

Catbooster Montana State, James Madison, Jackson State

Hambone Jackson State, Montana State, James Madison, South Dakota State

MikeyLoBets Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Jackson State

Preferred Walk On Montana State, James Madison, South Dakota State

Puddin Tane Montana State, North Dakota State, Jackson State

Daytripper
December 19th, 2021, 10:23 AM
I'm cool with this system. Do we need a rule that once a specific margin of victory for a team is posted, no future predictions can be the same margin for that team? This would avoid a tie.

crusader11
December 19th, 2021, 11:12 AM
I think the three remaining should send their picks privately to another poster. Once that poster has received all picks, he can post them to the thread.

Daytripper
December 19th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I think the three remaining should send their picks privately to another poster. Once that poster has received all picks, he can post them to the thread.

That could work. Are you volunteering?

crusader11
December 19th, 2021, 11:47 AM

I would, but I’m one of the three standing.

grizband
December 19th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I'll volunteer.

Chalupa Batman
December 19th, 2021, 12:59 PM
I'm cool with this system. Do we need a rule that once a specific margin of victory for a team is posted, no future predictions can be the same margin for that team? This would avoid a tie.

That’s why I included both margin of victory and total score to reduce the chances of a tie.

This is a good idea.

I'll volunteer.

Thanks grizband! Can you save them until just before the game? I’m thinking Friday night before the game. But if you want to post them Saturday morning too that’s fine, just so they’re posted before the game starts. This way if one of us wants to change our pick we can.

We will each PM you who wins along with the score for both teams.

Tiebreakers will be:

1. Closest to both margin of victory AND total score as outlined in the original post.
2. Closest to total score only.
3. Closest to margin of victory only. Like in tiebreaker #1 this is regardless of who wins, so if I pick NDSU to win by 3 and MSU wins by 3 I’m off by 6 points.
4. Winner of the game.
5. I throw my hands up in the air and declare a co-champion! [emoji2369]

grizband
December 19th, 2021, 01:25 PM
That’s why I included both margin of victory and total score to reduce the chances of a tie.

This is a good idea.

Thanks grizband! Can you save them until just before the game? I’m thinking Friday night before the game. But if you want to post them Saturday morning too that’s fine, just so they’re posted before the game starts. This way if one of us wants to change our pick we can.

We will each PM you who wins along with the score for both teams.

Tiebreakers will be:

1. Closest to both margin of victory AND total score as outlined in the original post.
2. Closest to total score only.
3. Closest to margin of victory only. Like in tiebreaker #1 this is regardless of who wins, so if I pick NDSU to win by 3 and MSU wins by 3 I’m off by 6 points.
4. Winner of the game.
5. I throw my hands up in the air and declare a co-champion! [emoji2369]
Sounds good; I'll post them Friday before the game.

grizband
December 31st, 2021, 12:16 PM
I'm still waiting on picks from Chalupa Batman, and Crusader 11.

Daytripper
January 4th, 2022, 12:20 PM
I'm still waiting on picks from Chalupa Batman, and Crusader 11.

I might win the big prize by default!!

Puddin Tane
January 4th, 2022, 07:50 PM
Im filing a temporary insanity defense for picking an unpredictable hbcu.

hoping for reinstatement!

grizband
January 8th, 2022, 12:41 AM
Many of you won't see these until Saturday morning, but here are the three picks for the National Championship:

Daytripper: North Dakota State beating Montana State 18-16

Chalupa Batman: North Dakota State beating Montana State 19-17

crusader11: North Dakota State beating Montana State 27-17

Chalupa Batman
January 8th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Many of you won't see these until Saturday morning, but here are the three picks for the National Championship:

Daytripper: North Dakota State beating Montana State 18-16

Chalupa Batman: North Dakota State beating Montana State 19-17

crusader11: North Dakota State beating Montana State 27-17

I feel like I Price-is-Righted Daytripper lol

Thanks again grizband for being the arbiter.

mmiller_34
January 8th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Whoops. Wrong thread.

Good picks, everybody.

grizband
January 8th, 2022, 01:15 PM
I feel like I Price-is-Righted Daytripper lol

Thanks again grizband for being the arbiter.
I was fairly surprised the picks were that close, but it looks crusader11 may ultimately end up winning.

Daytripper
January 9th, 2022, 11:56 AM
I was fairly surprised the picks were that close, but it looks crusader11 may ultimately end up winning.

Wasn't expecting an MSU injured starting QB, or the MSU run defense to turn into a sieve. I really thought the MSU defense would hold up better.

crusader11
January 9th, 2022, 07:14 PM
Thanks for putting this on, Chalupa.

Happy the hardware is coming back to Worcester.

Catbooster
January 9th, 2022, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the fun contest Chalupa (and grizband for wrapping it up).

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2022, 08:40 PM
Thanks for putting this on, Chalupa.

Happy the hardware is coming back to Worcester.

Congrats Crusader11

Chalupa, thank you for providing something to do, great job with the game.

Chalupa Batman
January 9th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Congratulations to crusader11 for being the inaugural AGS survival pool champion!

The official results for the tiebreaker in the championship game:

crusader11: -22 points (4 points off of total score and 18 points off of final margin)
Chalupa Batman: -38 points (12 points off total score and 26 points off of final margin)
Daytripper: -40 points (14 points off total score and 26 points off of final margin)

Hope everyone enjoyed participating and had as much fun as I did putting it on. Hope to see you all back next season and hopefully we can get a few more to play too. I will definitely be making sure that there are tiebreaker scenarios set up beforehand so I don't have to scramble to decide a champion like this year! And as always, I am open to anyone's suggestions and ideas on what you would like to see or how you think it could be better.