PDA

View Full Version : Here They Go Again: College AD Reporting SLC/OVC Merger Talks

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Behind a paywall but the Southland and Ohio Valley are apparently at it again. This would be a football-only merger of the leagues.

I thought this thing had died down but maybe not? Perhaps the latest circle of conversation ties into future concerns about membership? Both leagues not getting the Division II interest that they may have though they were getting and there was some talk in various circles (even more now that Little Rock just joined) that the Ohio Valley may be leaning more into basketball-driven league? So this provides a home for their football schools while keeping them separate for the other sport(s) most notably hoops.

https://twitter.com/collegead/status/1471126813258792962

dgtw
December 15th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Would they create a football-only league like the MVFC or would one take in the others as affiliates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Would they create a football-only league like the MVFC or would one take in the others as affiliates?

This is football only but the management of the league and what they would be willing to do remains to be seen. We have some other questions (i.e. Murray State's future in the OVC, the 'focus' of the OVC going forward) that would need to be answered in the coming months if this is becoming something.

walliver
December 15th, 2021, 12:47 PM
There are already 3 multi-conference leagues in FCS with varying models : CAA football, MVFC, and the Big South. I don't think either the SLC or OVC can completely rebuild football on their own, and a complete merger would create excessive travel expenses and mean the loss of one March Madness allocation.

ST_Lawson
December 15th, 2021, 01:09 PM
I was just talking with someone about this yesterday. My thought...if the OVC can find a home for their football-playing teams, they should stop sponsoring football and be an "olympic sports" only league (like the MVC or Horizon). Maybe this could be the start of that possibility...football playing OVC members join up with football playing Southland members either as a football-only conference or under the Southland banner.

I'd be ok with WIU joining an OVC like that for basketball, et al. while staying in the MVFC for football.

Going MVFC to OVC in football doesn't really save us much in travel costs, since we have teams like the ISUs, SIU, MSU, and UNI all within about a 5-hour drive.

Going Summit League to OVC for the other sports is a big difference, since we'd go from having 1 team under 6 hours away (UMKC) to having EIU, SIU-E, Murray State (depending on what they do with the MVC), possibly Southern Indiana (if they pull the trigger and move up from DII) all within that same range. SIU-E can be our "travel partner" at only about 2 3/4 hours away.

lionsrking2
December 15th, 2021, 01:14 PM
Behind a paywall but the Southland and Ohio Valley are apparently at it again. This would be a football-only merger of the leagues.

I thought this thing had died down but maybe not? Perhaps the latest circle of conversation ties into future concerns about membership? Both leagues not getting the Division II interest that they may have though they were getting and there was some talk in various circles (even more now that Little Rock just joined) that the Ohio Valley may be leaning more into basketball-driven league? So this provides a home for their football schools while keeping them separate for the other sport(s) most notably hoops.

https://twitter.com/collegead/status/1471126813258792962

This is old news. I mentioned this last week as a possibility/probability. My understanding is it's a football only arrangement and each league would continue as usual in other sports.

dgtw
December 15th, 2021, 02:00 PM
With the ASUN not taking off as planned, maybe they should look into a formal football-only league with the Big South.

SDFS
December 15th, 2021, 02:01 PM
I was just talking with someone about this yesterday. My thought...if the OVC can find a home for their football-playing teams, they should stop sponsoring football and be an "olympic sports" only league (like the MVC or Horizon). Maybe this could be the start of that possibility...football playing OVC members join up with football playing Southland members either as a football-only conference or under the Southland banner.

I'd be ok with WIU joining an OVC like that for basketball, et al. while staying in the MVFC for football.

Going MVFC to OVC in football doesn't really save us much in travel costs, since we have teams like the ISUs, SIU, MSU, and UNI all within about a 5-hour drive.

Going Summit League to OVC for the other sports is a big difference, since we'd go from having 1 team under 6 hours away (UMKC) to having EIU, SIU-E, Murray State (depending on what they do with the MVC), possibly Southern Indiana (if they pull the trigger and move up from DII) all within that same range. SIU-E can be our "travel partner" at only about 2 3/4 hours away.

Rumors about the potential NCAA changes focused on conferences taking on more responsibilities. So, single sport conferences could to be more expensive to operate in the future and being in a single all sport conference could to be more efficient for schools. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the next couple of years. So, you are hearing rumors on the Summit League side of things that they could be looking at offering more sports and what would that look like? Which is the opposite of what you have with the OVC/Southland discussion. Interesting times.

JSUSoutherner
December 15th, 2021, 02:04 PM
This is interesting because last I heard the OVC was vetting Grand Valley State.

And if GVSU made the jump I'd suspect that Ferris State wouldn't be far behind.

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2021, 02:54 PM
Matt Brown has shot again the CollegeAD story over on CSNbbs.

CollegeAD clearly looking to get some clicks with a "juicy story" that no longer has legs, though may have at some point?

HootyHoo
December 15th, 2021, 03:03 PM
With the ASUN not taking off as planned, maybe they should look into a formal football-only league with the Big South.

As a KSU alum, I am worried about the ASUN. It’s been a rough start.

dgtw
December 15th, 2021, 03:11 PM
As a KSU alum, I am worried about the ASUN. It’s been a rough start.

That was my big concern in joining, that it wouldn’t work out as Gumball envisioned. When TX/OU joined the SEC, I worried there would be a domino effect that caused an ASUN member to move up and we’d be stuck. Luckily, it was us that got the call.

I truly feel bad for those that joined the ASUN with us. It could have been us.

HootyHoo
December 15th, 2021, 03:18 PM
That was my big concern in joining, that it wouldn’t work out as Gumball envisioned. When TX/OU joined the SEC, I worried there would be a domino effect that caused an ASUN member to move up and we’d be stuck. Luckily, it was us that got the call.

I truly feel bad for those that joined the ASUN with us. It could have been us.

Exactly, KSU is kind of in limbo right now. If I was the AD. I’d call the SOCON. They have 9 football members. It’d be an easy fit.

dgtw
December 15th, 2021, 03:23 PM
I doubt the SoCon would expand. A nine member football league gives you a full 4/4 round robin. Plus they have a non-football member to keep basketball an even number.

mvfcfan
December 15th, 2021, 03:23 PM
I've been wondering if Austin Peay might change their minds about joining the ASUN. As in if maybe they were nice about paying their exit fee in case the ASUN didn't work out. Seems like they weren't quite as into the ASUN as EKU and JSU were, but I could be wrong.

HootyHoo
December 15th, 2021, 03:42 PM
I doubt the SoCon would expand. A nine member football league gives you a full 4/4 round robin. Plus they have a non-football member to keep basketball an even number.

Well screw it. If no one wants KSU because they’re too scared to play us. We’ll just become an independent and be the Notre Dame of the FCS. Complete with preferential treatment from the playoff committee.
HERE COME THE OWLS!

The Cats
December 15th, 2021, 04:11 PM
I see that ChattaQuitta made the correct decision in not jumping into the ASUN...

dgtw
December 15th, 2021, 08:43 PM
On a related expansion note, I don’t get the WAC’s interest in UTA if they don’t get in the MVC. I thought the WAC was moving toward a football model. Don’t see the appeal in adding a mediocre basketball program to a one bid league that is bloated as it is.

Sir William
December 16th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Well screw it. If no one wants KSU because they’re too scared to play us. We’ll just become an independent and be the Notre Dame of the FCS. Complete with preferential treatment from the playoff committee.
HERE COME THE OWLS!

Nobody’s scared to play you guys. It’s not a matter of being scared; it’s a matter of whether or not KSU is the right fit for the SoCon…but that’s a discussion for another thread.

What I’m interested in understanding is the fascination with KSU being in the SoCon. What’s wrong with the Big South? Seems to me you’ve got it pretty good over there. I mean, KSU should run the table and win the Big South 2 out of every 3 years, if not more. Then make the playoffs, beat a SoCon team in the playoffs every so often, and rub it in our faces. Not a bad deal.

If you were in the SoCon, you’d definitely be competitive. But you wouldn’t be running the table every year, or even every other year. Not smacking here, just being honest.

walliver
December 16th, 2021, 09:12 AM
For the last thirty years, the SoCon has stayed at 9 football members except for a few transitional years of 8 after VMI and ETSU left. 9 just works. I don't see any drive to expand, especially if it means giving up an OOC game or not playing every team every year.

Wofford was in the right place when Marshall left. Samford on the other hand had a more difficult time. At times Samford and the SoCon had mutual interest, but not at the same time until ETSU's departure.

The Cats
December 16th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Nobody’s scared to play you guys. It’s not a matter of being scared; it’s a matter of whether or not KSU is the right fit for the SoCon…but that’s a discussion for another thread.

What I’m interested in understanding is the fascination with KSU being in the SoCon. What’s wrong with the Big South? Seems to me you’ve got it pretty good over there. I mean, KSU should run the table and win the Big South 2 out of every 3 years, if not more. Then make the playoffs, beat a SoCon team in the playoffs every so often, and rub it in our faces. Not a bad deal.

If you were in the SoCon, you’d definitely be competitive. But you wouldn’t be running the table every year, or even every other year. Not smacking here, just being honest.

I think they are in the ASUN starting next season for all sports, including football. But, with JSU gone, they will essentially have the same deal as in the BS.

-

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2021, 10:44 AM
For the last thirty years, the SoCon has stayed at 9 football members except for a few transitional years of 8 after VMI and ETSU left. 9 just works. I don't see any drive to expand, especially if it means giving up an OOC game or not playing every team every year.

Wofford was in the right place when Marshall left. Samford on the other hand had a more difficult time. At times Samford and the SoCon had mutual interest, but not at the same time until ETSU's departure.
FUBeAR would like to see the SoCon SMARTLY expand. The old saying that there is ‘strength in numbers’ applies in today’s topsy-turvy Athletics environment.

Would like to see the SoCon add 2-4 All-Sports Teams, have 2 Divisions for Football, and leave the final week of the regular season flexi-scheduled…so the 2 Division Leaders can play a SoCon Championship game in Charlotte (perhaps) and flex the final week to plug-in opponents for the Teams that ‘lost’ their game with the Leaders. Maybe play all both of those games in CLT as sort of a “SoCon Fest”…would need some work by peeps smarter than FUBeAR, but we (pretended to) put a man on the moon, surely we can figure that out. Still 8 Conf. Games with All in ‘your’ division and X from other on a rotating basis…and 3 OOC.

Would target Richmond, William & Mary, (reluctantly) Elon, TennTech, UTM, NC A&T, APSU, and similar…Campbell maybe.

Not KSU though…sorry guys…the disgraceful Hoops program there makes that convo a non-starter.

Sir William
December 16th, 2021, 10:50 AM
I think they are in the ASUN starting next season for all sports, including football. But, with JSU gone, they will essentially have the same deal as in the BS.

-

Correct. I’m going on the assumption of KSU’s membership in the BS and the possibility they may remain there if the the ASUN doesn’t work out. (BTW, if I’m the OVC, I’m courting EKU and APSU to come back, and I’m inviting KSU, UNA and UCA to the party as well. That would be a nice conference with stability.)

NY Crusader 2010
December 16th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Can someone outline exactly whose in the A-Sun, SLC and OVC as of right now? Assuming no changes, what does each league's lineup look like as of Fall 2022?

There's been so much moving around, plus this A-Sun/WAC AQ merger, it's all gotten very confusing.

WestCoastAggie
December 16th, 2021, 12:52 PM
HERE COME THE OWLS!

Simmer down. You'll be playing a Big South schedule in 2022.

EKU05
December 16th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Correct. I’m going on the assumption of KSU’s membership in the BS and the possibility they may remain there if the the ASUN doesn’t work out. (BTW, if I’m the OVC, I’m courting EKU and APSU to come back, and I’m inviting KSU, UNA and UCA to the party as well. That would be a nice conference with stability.)

We're not interested. We want to go FBS, but short of that EKU is fully committed to the ASUN. There is no scenario in play in which we return to the OVC. There's too much dead weight in the OVC, and the leadership has demonstrated time and time again that they don't have vision and they don't value football. Even if they suddenly seemed to change course it would be a "boy who cried wolf" situation at this point.

EKU05
December 16th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Simmer down. You'll be playing a Big South schedule in 2022.

No they won't.

ST_Lawson
December 16th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Can someone outline exactly whose in the A-Sun, SLC and OVC as of right now? Assuming no changes, what does each league's lineup look like as of Fall 2022?

There's been so much moving around, plus this A-Sun/WAC AQ merger, it's all gotten very confusing.

I think, as of the Fall 2022 football season, these are the lineups you're looking at:
A-Sun - Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, North Alabama, Austin Peay (2022 will be their first year), Jacksonville State (at this point scheduled to join CUSA in 2023)
Southland - Houston Baptist, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana, Texas A&M-Commerce
Ohio Valley - Eastern Illinois, Murray State, Southeast Missouri State, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin

There are rumors of other possible changes (Murray State getting looked at by MVC which might lead to a MVFC invite, TN State looking at the SWAC, etc.), but as far as I'm aware, those are "officially" the teams for the 2022 football season.

Also, since they're involved in some of this, here's the WAC:
Abilene Christian, Dixie State, Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton State, Southern Utah, Incarnate Word
UT-Rio Grande Valley will be starting up a FCS football team, but they are not expected to be ready to play football until 2024.

NY Crusader 2010
December 17th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Sounds to me like the OVC and A-Sun should merge and WAC and SLC should merge. At least for football.

EKU05
December 17th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Sounds to me like the OVC and A-Sun should merge and WAC and SLC should merge. At least for football.

There are two ASUN members that moved there specifically to avoid everything about the direction the OVC seems to be moving. That won't happen. The ASUN can build a much better conference than that by taking a few of the D2 powerhouses that may be ready to move up (West Florida? Valdosta State?). No one in the ASUN camp is panicking here. I have real, genuine confidence in the leadership of this conference (which was not at all true in the OVC).

ScrappytheOwl
December 17th, 2021, 02:27 PM
KSU is sticking with the ASUN. The flexibility of being in the ASUN is significantly more attractive than joining an already established conference. Also it is nice the control KSU has of what direction the ASUN will go. The short term goal needs to be to get the ASUN to 6 members for the AQ with the best team possible. The team I am most targetting is SLU. As it sits, the ASUN has 4 top 40ish programs which is already double of what the big south had.

lionsrking2
December 17th, 2021, 06:01 PM
KSU is sticking with the ASUN. The flexibility of being in the ASUN is significantly more attractive than joining an already established conference. Also it is nice the control KSU has of what direction the ASUN will go. The short term goal needs to be to get the ASUN to 6 members for the AQ with the best team possible. The team I am most targetting is SLU. As it sits, the ASUN has 4 top 40ish programs which is already double of what the big south had.

I can assure you that just about everybody associated with our athletics department would leave for the ASUN in a heartbeat; but I don't foresee our president ever getting on board, unless Nicholls and NW State come along with us. Had remaining Southland presidents not voted to give McNeese both Manhattan and the Louisiana Territory in order to stay, things might be different.

walliver
December 20th, 2021, 12:55 PM
The conferences should stick to scheduling alliances until after the NCAA reorganization occurs. There is no rush to make long-term commitments at this time.

Daytripper
December 20th, 2021, 01:01 PM
There are two ASUN members that moved there specifically to avoid everything about the direction the OVC seems to be moving. That won't happen. The ASUN can build a much better conference than that by taking a few of the D2 powerhouses that may be ready to move up (West Florida? Valdosta State?). No one in the ASUN camp is panicking here. I have real, genuine confidence in the leadership of this conference (which was not at all true in the OVC).

The Texas 4 left the Southland for the same reason...poor leadership and a rudderless direction. ACU, Lamar and SFA aren't going back.

EKU05
December 20th, 2021, 01:57 PM
The conferences should stick to scheduling alliances until after the NCAA reorganization occurs. There is no rush to make long-term commitments at this time.

Not if they need to add to get to the six-team minimum (as the ASUN will after JSU is gone).