PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Youngstown St. recruits

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 09:28 AM
It’s been rare for several years to talk positive about YSU football, but it appears they are FINALLY headed in the right direction. YSU announced their 2022 class on Twitter. Give them a Grade of A after failing miserably for years. The breakdown -

16 H.S. Recruits
2 Jucos
9 on Offense
9 on Defense
4 DBs
3 OL
3 LBs
2 DL
3 TEs
1 QB
1 RB
1WR

Gone are the days of recruits having no other offers save for YSU. Gone are multiple wasted schollies to area “local” stars. Gone are the days of not recruiting need. Gone are the days of recruiting “projects” who need developed. In with talent jumping out on film. In with size across the board. In with multiple sport stars.

Only one serious complaint - only one recruit from Florida. That’s a gold mine down there that can not be passed over.

YSU fans finally having something to look forward to. The last time I was this excited about recruiting, Wolf brought in a class to kick Pitt’s arse and ended up in the Natty as seniors.

I suspect they aren’t done. Look for some transfers and look to see some names missing from next years roster. Stick that up your arse , Mr. AD.

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 10:23 AM
They aren’t done yet.

Adding another Juco DB and H.S. DB.

Class now has 17 H.S.athletes and 3 Jucos.

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 01:14 PM
It’s been rare for several years to talk positive about YSU football, but it appears they are FINALLY headed in the right direction. YSU announced their 2022 class on Twitter. Give them a Grade of A after failing miserably for years. The breakdown -

16 H.S. Recruits
2 Jucos
9 on Offense
9 on Defense
4 DBs
3 OL
3 LBs
2 DL
3 TEs
1 QB
1 RB
1WR

Gone are the days of recruits having no other offers save for YSU. Gone are multiple wasted schollies to area “local” stars. Gone are the days of not recruiting need. Gone are the days of recruiting “projects” who need developed. In with talent jumping out on film. In with size across the board. In with multiple sport stars.

Only one serious complaint - only one recruit from Florida. That’s a gold mine down there that can not be passed over.

YSU fans finally having something to look forward to. The last time I was this excited about recruiting, Wolf brought in a class to kick Pitt’s arse and ended up in the Natty as seniors.

I suspect they aren’t done. Look for some transfers and look to see some names missing from next years roster. Stick that up your arse , Mr. AD.

I called you an ambulance... You must have fallen and can't get up!?!?

You know your getting old when the kid of your favorite all time YSU QB (arguably the best to play the position) is a new recruit.. Beau Brungard xthumbsupx

LOL! I was hearing through the channels that this class was going to be a good one but I like to see the full paper report.. 24 new flightless birds!!

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown
High School

Joe Blahovec
DB
6-2
Fr.
Greensburg, Pa.
Greensburg CC

Ezekiel Blake
DB
6-3
So.
West Palm Beach, Fla.
Wellington

Max Blanc
QB
6-5
Fr.
Bethel Park, Pa.
Bethel Park

Michael Boyd Jr.
DL
6-3
Fr.
Sylvania, Ga.
Screven County

Beau Brungard
QB
6-0
Fr.
New Middletown, Ohio
Springfield Local

Nate Damron
TE
6-4
Jr.
Elyria, Ohio
Elyria Catholic

Dylan Dominguez
DB
5-11
Fr.
North Lima, Ohio
South Range

Nehemiah Dukes
DL
6-2
Fr.
Douglasville, Ga.
Alexander

Keon Freeman
DL
6-0
Jr.
Whitehall, Ohio
Whitehall-Yearling

Andrew Hardin
DB
6-2
Jr.
Woodbridge, Va.
Woodbridge

Cephus Harris III
RB
5-9
Fr.
Clinton Township, Pa.
Chippewa Valley

Tico Jones Jr.
DL
6-3
Fr.
Lakewood, Ohio
Lakewood

Van Keen
OL
6-3
Fr.
Stow, Ohio
Stow

Shane Keenan
OL
6-5
Fr.
Toronto, Ohio
Toronto

Jack Kenneally
WR
6-6
Fr.
Elyria, Ohio
Elyria Catholic

Easton Korody
OL
6-4
Fr.
Carey, Ohio
Carey

Desmeal Leigh
OL
6-7
Fr.
Kent, Ohio
Roosevelt

Alex McDonald
TE
6-4
Fr.
Chardon, Ohio
Chardon

Jasiah Medley
DB
5-11
Fr.
Piqua, Ohio
Piqua

Jordan Rudolph
DB
5-11
Fr.
Lewis Center, Ohio
Olentangy Orange

Colt Sechrest
TE
6-4
Fr.
Bellarie, Ohio
Bellaire

Nathanael Sulka
LB
6-4
Fr.
Chardon, Ohio
Chardon

Michael Wells
LB
6-3
Fr.
New Castle, Pa.
New Castle

Bryce Wood
LB
6-3
Fr.
Erie, Pa.
McDowell

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Bringing up the rear are 4 more - another QB , 2 DL and another OL. One is a transfer. Total class ends with 24. Still expect a few more from transfers and a few leaving who have worn out their welcome.

Newest QB is Brungard from Springfield Local. While local , he is an athlete and in all probability won’t play QB. See him as a Safety. Several, while listed at a position are moving over from other positions played in H.S. This adds speed to new positions and some will have to bulk up but have big frames to do it with ( 6’5, 6’6). Some came from state championship teams. Some have a very obvious nasty streak on film that shows openly. Amazingly, except for 2, they are good academics. One Juco had 10 D-I offers but had to go Juco before coming here. He may be outstanding. Many had 3 stars giving them exposure to Power D-I programs.

All they need now , Red , is back to back classes !

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Bringing up the rear are 4 more - another QB , 2 DL and another OL. One is a transfer. Total class ends with 24. Still expect a few more from transfers and a few leaving who have worn out their welcome.

Newest QB is Brungard from Springfield Local. While local , he is an athlete and in all probability won’t play QB. See him as a Safety. Several, while listed at a position are moving over from other positions played in H.S. This adds speed to new positions and some will have to bulk up but have big frames to do it with ( 6’5, 6’6). Some came from state championship teams. Some have a very obvious nasty streak on film that shows openly. Amazingly, except for 2, they are good academics. One Juco had 10 D-I offers but had to go Juco before coming here. He may be outstanding. Many had 3 stars giving them exposure to Power D-I programs.

All they need now , Red , is back to back classes !

I'd like to see more beef for the trenches.. Appear to be set at QB.. The RB we got was a 3 star from Mich :)

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 01:57 PM
I’m expecting a transfer RB and another WR. Check the frames on the linemen. Some are already big enough and other have the height to pack more weight. McDonald a TE from D-III state Championship Chardon may more to interior OL and bulk up. He is fast , strong and nasty. Korody from D-VI state Championship Carey has an impressive list of D-I offers can carry more than his 280 and has good feet and techniques. They did some homework on many of these kids.

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 01:59 PM
I’m expecting a transfer RB and another WR. Check the frames on the linemen. Some are already big enough and other have the height to pack more weight. McDonald a TE from D-III state Championship Chardon may more to interior OL and bulk up. He is fast , strong and nasty. Korody from D-VI state Championship Carey has an impressive list of D-I offers can carry more than his 280 and has good feet and techniques. They did some homework on many of these kids.

Can we change our evaluation on the HC? I put his pink slip back in my desk drawer LOL!!

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Can we change our evaluation on the HC? I put his pink slip back in my desk drawer LOL!!

Only as it relates to recruiting. That he passed with flying colors. Game day coaching still has problems. 😎

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Only as it relates to recruiting. That he passed with flying colors. Game day coaching still has problems. 

Needs to addapt a killer instinct.. Look back over the last season (spring and fall).. Started to play not to lose way too early.. Needed to keep the foot on the pedal..

Listening to Coach's presser YSU should be getting two transfer OL and a WR to add to the 24..

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 06:42 PM
Pally, any word on the WB QB? MAC?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Red, DeShields is just a Junior. The 6’4 QB if he has another jumbo year goes Big 10, not MAC. West Branch steamrolled just about everyone. The dual threat QB had unreal numbers running and throwing ( 2600 passing if I remember).

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Red, DeShields is just a Junior. The 6’4 QB if he has another jumbo year goes Big 10, not MAC. West Branch steamrolled just about everyone. The dual threat QB had unreal numbers running and throwing ( 2600 passing if I remember).I wondered,, I was watching the WB Poland game and I could of swore the guy calling the game said he was a senior?!.. Kid looked pretty special.. no chance of a Y helmet in his future?

Paladin1aa
December 15th, 2021, 08:51 PM
I wondered,, I was watching the WB Poland game and I could of swore the guy calling the game said he was a senior?!.. Kid looked pretty special.. no chance of a Y helmet in his future?

😂

Not a chance in he11

ysubigred
December 15th, 2021, 08:54 PM
[emoji23]

Not a chance in he11BYU? LOL..

BeamMeUp
December 16th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Paladin, add another signee to the class. A 6'4" 295lb DE from Clyde, OH that went the JUCO Route. Nice side, hopefully he has some nice speed and can get after the QB.

https://twitter.com/ysufootball/status/1471565090574929924?t=i8kfGe-OUGAT2sZkHedw1g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Devin_LeeO/status/1471560510592147470?t=0M-Awv4MS7sG_xkLJRod8Q&s=19

Paladin1aa
December 16th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Paladin, add another signee to the class. A 6'4" 295lb DE from Clyde, OH that went the JUCO Route. Nice side, hopefully he has some nice speed and can get after the QB.

https://twitter.com/ysufootball/status/1471565090574929924?t=i8kfGe-OUGAT2sZkHedw1g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Devin_LeeO/status/1471560510592147470?t=0M-Awv4MS7sG_xkLJRod8Q&s=19

Thanks, Beam. He was the player they were waiting on. Not sure why he didn’t sign on during the day, but he is part of the class. He will play DT. Not fast but very strong. He dominated in Jucos.

On a side note, the review on the cheerleader board showed why it’s toxic and harmful to the program. One of the local experts complained that the Hubbard OT was not signed by YSU and they were missing out on another local star. HELLO ? 6’5,290 does not equal a D-I scholly. He will be lucky to star at D-III football with bad feet and poor techniques but he got those 50 pancake blocks against 170-180 lbs opponents. Just because you are rewarded with a phony award from TV station WKBN as one of their 5 Blocks of Granite that does not translate . Losing another scholly on a local substandard player has murdered the YSU program over the last 20 years. Pressuring the staff to recruit locally needs to stop.

ysubigred
December 16th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Beam. He was the player they were waiting on. Not sure why he didn’t sign on during the day, but he is part of the class. He will play DT. Not fast but very strong. He dominated in Jucos.

On a side note, the review on the cheerleader board showed why it’s toxic and harmful to the program. One of the local experts complained that the Hubbard OT was not signed by YSU and they were missing out on another local star. HELLO ? 6’5,290 does not equal a D-I scholly. He will be lucky to star at D-III football with bad feet and poor techniques but he got those 50 pancake blocks against 170-180 lbs opponents. Just because you are rewarded with a phony award from TV station WKBN as one of their 5 Blocks of Granite that does not translate . Losing another scholly on a local substandard player has murdered the YSU program over the last 20 years. Pressuring the staff to recruit locally needs to stop.Nothing wrong with recruiting locally if it's the WB QB..

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Nothing wrong with recruiting locally if it's the WB QB..

And that is EXACTLY one of the central problems WHY YSU is no longer a football powerhouse. IF and I say IF the player is really outstanding they don’t get him. Goes MAC and usually higher. Warren Harding had an all star this season but he went to Syracuse. Shannon from Ursuline took a baseball scholly, etc. The left overs are not worth a scholly , yet YSU loaded up on them. We had a ton of Mooney players and none started. Many recruited in the area left the team when their abilities were far less and they knew they weren’t competitive. On rare, very rare occassion, the Coach ran them off - insert Wolf here. All others- Heacock, Bozo and early on Phillips bought into the pressure to recruit local “stars”. I note that Phillips in his press release noted he was looking for local players TWO HOURS away. Note only 2 were from the Valley out of 25 recruits. Tressel did the same thing with his “State of Youngstown” recruit area. It meant none to few from the Valley, many from Cleveland and Pittsburgh and beyond and then “snuck” in multiple out of state players, half or more some years. So much for recruiting locally.

You will always have some dumbarse who demands more local recruits from the Valley. Do it and you continue to doom the program. Phillips has stood up to the AD and political pressures and finally done the right thing as Wolf did. It has to continue and if it does , we will have players to soundly beat Pitt again and return to the Natty. Give in to the AD pressures and get fired for not winning.

ysubigred
December 17th, 2021, 08:10 AM
And that is EXACTLY one of the central problems WHY YSU is no longer a football powerhouse. IF and I say IF the player is really outstanding they don’t get him. Goes MAC and usually higher. Warren Harding had an all star this season but he went to Syracuse. Shannon from Ursuline took a baseball scholly, etc. The left overs are not worth a scholly , yet YSU loaded up on them. We had a ton of Mooney players and none started. Many recruited in the area left the team when their abilities were far less and they knew they weren’t competitive. On rare, very rare occassion, the Coach ran them off - insert Wolf here. All others- Heacock, Bozo and early on Phillips bought into the pressure to recruit local “stars”. I note that Phillips in his press release noted he was looking for local players TWO HOURS away. Note only 2 were from the Valley out of 25 recruits. Tressel did the same thing with his “State of Youngstown” recruit area. It meant none to few from the Valley, many from Cleveland and Pittsburgh and beyond and then “snuck” in multiple out of state players, half or more some years. So much for recruiting locally.

You will always have some dumbarse who demands more local recruits from the Valley. Do it and you continue to doom the program. Phillips has stood up to the AD and political pressures and finally done the right thing as Wolf did. It has to continue and if it does , we will have players to soundly beat Pitt again and return to the Natty. Give in to the AD pressures and get fired for not winning.Seems the FL Pipe line is missing? Was it one of the older Stoops that had it going for YSU?

I agree that the left overs in the Valley are probably better suited for d II, III.

The MAC is a crap league. 1BCS imposters that should be 1FCS. I'd say all the local "stars" go for the Tuesday, Wednesday night Maction games on espn.. xtwocentsx

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2021, 08:22 AM
Seems the FL Pipe line is missing? Was it one of the older Stoops that had it going for YSU?

I agree that the left overs in the Valley are probably better suited for d II, III.

The MAC is a crap league. 1BCS imposters that should be 1FCS. I'd say all the local "stars" go for the Tuesday, Wednesday night Maction games on espn.. xtwocentsx

Yes, Florida is missing. Only one recruit. A typical year would have 5-6 and do that all 4-5 years and you have a solid roster of 20-30 studs/skill players that produce great winning seasons.

I don’t get the Stoops comment. Translate please.

ysubigred
December 17th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Yes, Florida is missing. Only one recruit. A typical year would have 5-6 and do that all 4-5 years and you have a solid roster of 20-30 studs/skill players that produce great winning seasons.

I don’t get the Stoops comment. Translate please.He was recruiting down there for YSU now retired? That's what I've heard.. I thought maybe you knew something different [emoji848]

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Bob Stoops while the HC at Oklahoma used to pass on tips especially about Jucos Oklahoma looked at but passed on recruiting. Bob may well continue to pass on tips but being retired he isn’t as involved now. I note he will serve as Oklahoma’s honorary HC in their Bowl game since Riley left.

The Stoops brother at Kentucky does the opposite. He raids the Valley and doesn’t share tips. Needs all the help he can get, 😂

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2021, 08:43 AM
BTW, the Wolf is at Kentucky with Stoops as his OL coach and his top recruiter along with former Cardinal Mooney player Vince Marrow. Both those guys can recruit. Marrow brought in a Warren Harding player who tore up the SEC and got Stoops a big contract extension recently.

ysubigred
December 17th, 2021, 08:46 AM
I was talking about Ron Stoops.. some said he had the FL connection took it over from one of JTs assistant coordinator? Maybe why it fell apart?

ysubigred
December 17th, 2021, 08:47 AM
BTW, the Wolf is at Kentucky with Stoops as his OL coach and his top recruiter along with former Cardinal Mooney player Vince Marrow. Both those guys can recruit. Marrow brought in a Warren Harding player who tore up the SEC and got Stoops a big contract extension recently.I know. Wolf is a great assistant, recruiter.. HC not so much..

Paladin1aa
December 17th, 2021, 09:21 AM
I was talking about Ron Stoops.. some said he had the FL connection took it over from one of JTs assistant coordinator? Maybe why it fell apart?

Ron Stoops ? 😂😂😂😂😂

You got bad info. Most Florida recruiting came from former YSU players coaching in Florida who passed on tips. The few times a coach or two went to Florida to recruit, it was not Ron,lol. Some of our black assistants coaches did very well recruiting down there. And long establish contacts from Tressels days favored YSU.

ysubigred
December 17th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Ron Stoops ? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You got bad info. Most Florida recruiting came from former YSU players coaching in Florida who passed on tips. The few times a coach or two went to Florida to recruit, it was not Ron,lol. Some of our black assistants coaches did very well recruiting down there. And long establish contacts from Tressels days favored YSU.Yup just as I thought also..

penguinpower
December 17th, 2021, 12:43 PM
I agree. This is an excellent class. However he needs to stack one on top another...... hopefully for several years.

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2021, 09:21 AM
....WHAA DON'T YOUSE TWO...EXCHANGE PHONE #'s............xdontknowx.......BRAWK!

ysubigred
December 18th, 2021, 09:28 AM
....WHAA DON'T YOUSE TWO...EXCHANGE PHONE #'s............xdontknowx.......BRAWK!Awe.. I say we might be little but we know how to skin a chicken BRWAK!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211218/7d383d1557be6dcc5308ebce39d96c5c.jpg

BeamMeUp
December 18th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Recruiting Stars
Other Offers (per Twitter, 247Sports, ScoutingOhio)

Joe Blahovec
DB
6-2
Fr.

Ezekiel Blake
DB
6-3
So.

N. Colorado, North Dakota

Max Blanc
QB
6-5
Fr.

Yale, Lehigh, Valpo

Michael Boyd Jr.
DL
6-3
Fr.

Beau Brungard
QB
6-0
Fr.

Nate Damron
TE
6-4
Jr.

E. Kentucky, SEMO, UT Martin, Morehead State

Dylan Dominguez
DB
5-11
Fr.

Nehemiah Dukes
DL
6-2
Fr.

SEMO, Samford, N. Alabama, Furman, E. Tennessee,

Keon Freeman
DL
6-0
Jr.

SEMO, Arkansas Pine Bluff

Andrew Hardin
DB
6-2
Jr.

Arkansas Pine Bluff, Texas A&M Commerce, Presbyterian, Bethune-Cookman, Robert Morris, Duquesne,

Cephus Harris III
RB
5-9
Fr.
3 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/player/cephus-harris-46111498/)

Tico Jones Jr.
DL
6-3
Fr.
2 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/Player/Tico-Jones-Jr-46109208/)
Akron, Ball State, Illinois State, Miami (OH), Western Michigan

Van Keen
OL
6-3
Fr.
2 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/Player/Van-Keen-46100292/)
Akron

Shane Keenan
OL
6-5
Fr.

Akron

Jack Kenneally
WR
6-6
Fr.
2 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/player/jack-kenneally-46117839/)

Easton Korody
OL
6-4
Fr.
2 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/player/easton-korody-46115263/)
Brown, Bucknell, Columbia, Furman, Illinois State, Lehigh, Montana State, Robert Morris

Desmeal Leigh
OL
6-7
Fr.

Charleston, Notre Dame College (OH)

Alex McDonald
TE
6-4
Fr.

Grand Valley State, Notre Dame College (OH)

Jasiah Medley
DB
5-11
Fr.

Buffalo, Toledo, Eastern Illinois, Lake Erie College

Jordan Rudolph
DB
5-11
Fr.

Tiffin, Notre Dame College (OH)

Colt Sechrest
TE
6-4
Fr.

Nathanael Sulka
LB
6-4
Fr.
3 Stars - 247Sports (https://247sports.com/player/nathanael-sulka-46103878/)
Iowa State

Michael Wells
LB
6-3
Fr.

Bucknell

Bryce Wood
LB
6-3
Fr.

St. Francis

Devin Lee
LB
6-4
Jr

Eastern Illinois, Stony Brook

Took bits of time since signing day, but this is what I was able to uncover.

Paladin1aa
December 22nd, 2021, 08:55 AM
Good job, Beam. Here’s some updates-

Quite a story with Keen. He was named Van Shyjka. Changed his name to Keen to honor his stepdad. Was a commit to Akron who had the offer pulled ( along with other recruits when the coach was fired) and had others looking at him who dropped off when he committed to Akron. Here’s the kicker, he dropped interests in other schools as his HC was Tom Phillips, YSU HC Dougs brother. He will join his brothers YSU staff in January. Keen is a nasty monster left OT who wants to play for his coach again.

Hardin, in H.S., had 10 D-I offers and another 9 seriously looking at him. For some unknown reason he picked Sacred Heart, played 4 games but redshirted. He flamed out and went Juco next where he was outstanding and drew new offers, picking YSU offer among others.

Both these players bear watching. I’d also keep an eye on the star rated players. Best class in a long while.

The Yo Show
December 22nd, 2021, 09:59 AM

16 H.S. Recruits
2 Jucos
9 on Offense
9 on Defense
4 DBs
3 OL
3 LBs
2 DL
3 TEs
1 QB
1 RB
1WR

I have been away from sports for a bit (been busy the last few weeks), and while I have been more positive about YSU recently, I also agree that the current recruiting is one of the best classes in years. Only 2 local players, and the two that were gotten seem to be pretty decent.

Paladin1aa
December 22nd, 2021, 10:30 AM
Yo - of the two local players, the key word is decent. Nothing more , nothing less. Brungard is probably a DB, not a QB as his Dad was at YSU quarterbacking 2 National Champ teams. He is athletic enough to also play special teams but a DB backup for sure and maybe a Starter at S. Unfortunately , he is one of the areas best which doesn’t speak well for D-I players. Area is way down again.

The South Range player , Dominguez ,is a reach. Good athlete but not a lock for this level of play. DB for sure probably as a backup and special teams player. No where near the abilities of a RB to play here. But it’s good to see YSU has come to their senses and backed off recruiting heavy in the Valley. Politics ( and the AD) be damned.

They need RBs. Look to the transfer portal. Transfer WRs welcome too.

BeamMeUp
January 5th, 2022, 08:49 PM
Paladin, add another one.

Jaelen Crider, a DL from Stow, OH is transferring to YSU from the University of Toledo. 247Sports had him as a 3-Star prospect out of high school.

”@CriderJaelen: At this time I would like to thank @CoachJ_Schaefer and @fbcoachdp for this opportunity. I am happy to announce that i will be continuing my college career at Youngstown State University. #GoGuins🐧🐧”
https://twitter.com/criderjaelen/status/1478916167796502530?s=21

BeamMeUp
January 5th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Another one just came through. Latrell Fordham, a WR from Davidson, MI is transferring to YSU from Eastern Michigan. 247Sports had him as a 3-Star prospect out of high school as well.

@TrellFordham10
https://i.postimg.cc/Jn2dGShj/2-CAF9-C6-F-B8-BE-4-C68-8-F39-C313-DDD69189.jpg

Paladin1aa
January 6th, 2022, 06:58 AM
Thanks, Beam. Fordham is a Frosh who played in 7 games catching 8 passes for 107 yds and a TD. Seeking to be number 1 WR while EMU was loaded and returns starters. He played in very good H.S. program. Very good prospect who wanted more playing time.

Still ,looking for another transfer WR and a RB, maybe two.

Paladin1aa
January 6th, 2022, 07:11 AM
Beam - I see the Crider transfer as just the beginning of a pipeline from Stow H.S. to YSU. Tom Phillips, YSU HC Doug Phillips brother, was well liked as Stows HC. He joins his brothers YSU staff this January. Stow is a very, very good big H.S. with many annual recruits to college FB. Besides having a foot in the door with upcoming H.S. players who liked Phillips, there are a lot playing at other D-I schools who may transfer as well. The footprint at Akron- Massillon-Canton grows.

Crider is a 6’2, 305 Frosh. Had 5 D-1 offers. Brother plays at Toledo.

BeamMeUp
January 6th, 2022, 09:02 PM
Encouraging. However, let’s hope these are the types of FBS transfers that make an impact and not just fizzle out. One of my all time favorites was Marcus Mason in the Heacock years.

Agree on your RB comment. I’d like a bit more depth at that position as well.

ysubigred
January 14th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Another portal guy.

Joe Groeber - OL - 6'3 330lbs from University of Cincinnati transfer.. Looks like a quick fix for the Oline for the upcoming fall season. 1year of elegibility?!?

Paladin1aa
January 14th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Actually Red, Groeber is a definite reach. He went to small school Cincinnati Christian College, barely better than local Cincinnati H.S. ball. CC suspended FB, so since he was local , he transferred to Cincy where he didn’t play at all. Apparently holds a weight lifting record at Cincy but play ability is highly suspect. Since he has little eligibility left he tries YSU for playing time where I project he will see little or none.

ysubigred
January 14th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Actually Red, Groeber is a definite reach. He went to small school Cincinnati Christian College, barely better than local Cincinnati H.S. ball. CC suspended FB, so since he was local , he transferred to Cincy where he didn’t play at all. Apparently holds a weight lifting record at Cincy but play ability is highly suspect. Since he has little eligibility left he tries YSU for playing time where I project he will see little or none.Always leary of transfers. Usually a 50/50 crap shoot especially with 1 year left.

Good info [emoji106]

Paladin1aa
January 20th, 2022, 07:18 PM
YSU has added 3 transfers with the start of second semester.

Dominick Fiscelli, WR, 5’9, 180 , Saginaw Valley St. ( was also a sprint champ in h.s. In Mich.)

Trenton Gillison , TE, 6’4, 250, Michigan St ( played in 25 games, 6 starts)

Errol Walker, OL, 6’3, 330, Grambling

Still need that RB. Maybe the kid at UND in the portal would like to transfer to YSU 😀

ysubigred
January 20th, 2022, 07:29 PM
YSU has added 3 transfers with the start of second semester.

Dominick Fiscelli, WR, 5’9, 180 , Saginaw Valley St. ( was also a sprint champ in h.s. In Mich.)

Trenton Gillison , TE, 6’4, 250, Michigan St ( played in 25 games, 6 starts)

Errol Walker, OL, 6’3, 330, Grambling

Still need that RB. Maybe the kid at UND in the portal would like to transfer to YSU [emoji3]Yup.. need a Brown, Cook, Smith or Mason style RB..

Some on the raw raw board isn't impressed with the xfers..

You never know till the whistles blow for play on the field..

Paladin1aa
January 25th, 2022, 04:45 PM
YSU adds anther transfer -

Caleb Burr, DB, 6’2, 200, transfers from Lafayette

Started a lot of games for the Leopards, even as a Frosh. Former sprint champ from Avon Lake, Ohio

Paladin1aa
January 27th, 2022, 03:00 PM
YSU has a commit for Wednesday signings from Joe Sferra, a 6’3, 285 OL from Boardman,Ohio. He was an HM All Ohio player in D-II.

ysubigred
January 27th, 2022, 06:19 PM
YSU has a commit for Wednesday signings from Joe Sferra, a 6’3, 285 OL from Boardman,Ohio. He was an HM All Ohio player in D-II.Still waiting for a 5-10 225 lb 4.2 40 TB [emoji41]

ysubigred
February 2nd, 2022, 02:10 PM
This appears to be the final push for the recruiting class.. Must be satisfied with the TB/RB situation??

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown
Previous School

Ezekiel Blake
DB
6-3
So.
West Palm Beach, Fla.
Indy CC

Jaelen Crider
DL
6-2
So.
Stow, Ohio
Toledo

Nate Damron
TE
6-4
Jr.
Elyria, Ohio
Indy CC

Dominick Fiscelli
WR
5-9
Sr.
Utica, Mich.
Saginaw Valley State

Keon Freeman
LB
6-0
Jr.
Whitehall, Ohio
Charleston (W. Va.)

Latrell Fordham
WR
6-4
Sr.
Flint, Mich.
Eastern Michigan

Trenton Gillison
TE
6-4
Sr.
Pickerington, Ohio
Michigan State

Joey Groeber
OL
6-3
Sr.
Williamsburg, Ohio
Cincinnati

Andrew Hardin
DB
6-2
Jr.
Woodbridge, Va.
Monroe

Van Keen
OL
6-3
Fr.
Stow, Ohio
Stow-Munroe Falls H.S.

Devin Lee
DL
6-3
Jr.
Clyde, Ohio
Coffeyville

Errol Walker
OL
6-3
Jr.
Bronx, N.Y.
Grambling

Paladin1aa
February 2nd, 2022, 05:21 PM
This appears to be the final push for the recruiting class.. Must be satisfied with the TB/RB situation??

Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown
Previous School

Ezekiel Blake
DB
6-3
So.
West Palm Beach, Fla.
Indy CC

Jaelen Crider
DL
6-2
So.
Stow, Ohio
Toledo

Nate Damron
TE
6-4
Jr.
Elyria, Ohio
Indy CC

Dominick Fiscelli
WR
5-9
Sr.
Utica, Mich.
Saginaw Valley State

Keon Freeman
LB
6-0
Jr.
Whitehall, Ohio
Charleston (W. Va.)

Latrell Fordham
WR
6-4
Sr.
Flint, Mich.
Eastern Michigan

Trenton Gillison
TE
6-4
Sr.
Pickerington, Ohio
Michigan State

Joey Groeber
OL
6-3
Sr.
Williamsburg, Ohio
Cincinnati

Andrew Hardin
DB
6-2
Jr.
Woodbridge, Va.
Monroe

Van Keen
OL
6-3
Fr.
Stow, Ohio
Stow-Munroe Falls H.S.

Devin Lee
DL
6-3
Jr.
Clyde, Ohio
Coffeyville

Errol Walker
OL
6-3
Jr.
Bronx, N.Y.
Grambling

That’s the early group, Red. Today’s signings aren’t up yet but they signed another ton of players, including a 4 star WR from Mich. also 2 RBs, a bunch of LB, DBs and OL. Still doing the research on them, but appears to be another home run.

They signed RBs from Akron SVSM and Cleveland Glenville. Both are burners. They have DB brothers from Fork Union Military too. Look like an additional 12 h.s. players. I suspect DP is not renewing some schollies. This will be a huge changeover for the roster.

BeamMeUp
February 2nd, 2022, 06:21 PM
Just a quick post. Will have to do more research.

On that WR from Michigan...
"Harper Woods WR Tay’shawn Trent, a former Michigan commit, signs with Youngstown State"
Article Link: https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2022/02/harper-woods-wr-tayshawn-trent-a-former-michigan-commit-signs-with-youngstown-state.html

Paladin1aa
February 2nd, 2022, 06:54 PM
YSU adds 13 to NLOID bringing their total of early signings and 2nd semester transfers in at grand total of 44 new players to the program. Trent, a 3 and 4 star WR ( 6’4,220) who committed to Mich is the headliner. Farthing, a 6’5, 190 WR from Dover is right behind him. He is the defending D-I Ohio state HJ champion as well.

RBs Whatley (5’9, 190) from Cleveland Glenville and Linberger (5’11, 210) from Akron SVSM both are burners who played in big time programs.

Breakdown is 2 S, 1 DB, 2 WR, 3 LBs (6’2,220..6’2,210...and 6’0, 220), 2 OL, 1 PK and 2 RBs.

With all the transfers and Frosh, the roster will be gutted and look a lot different next year. This late signing isn’t as good as the early group, but not bad. It’s does show DP can recruit.

ysubigred
February 2nd, 2022, 08:05 PM
YSU adds 13 to NLOID bringing their total of early signings and 2nd semester transfers in at grand total of 44 new players to the program. Trent, a 3 and 4 star WR ( 6’4,220) who committed to Mich is the headliner. Farthing, a 6’5, 190 WR from Dover is right behind him. He is the defending D-I Ohio state HJ champion as well.

RBs Whatley (5’9, 190) from Cleveland Glenville and Linberger (5’11, 210) from Akron SVSM both are burners who played in big time programs.

Breakdown is 2 S, 1 DB, 2 WR, 3 LBs (6’2,220..6’2,210...and 6’0, 220), 2 OL, 1 PK and 2 RBs.

With all the transfers and Frosh, the roster will be gutted and look a lot different next year. This late signing isn’t as good as the early group, but not bad. It’s does show DP can recruit.Any word on a DC? Going to be an interesting fall.

Paladin1aa
February 3rd, 2022, 10:29 AM
Got to wonder about 4 star WR Trent from Mich. He had 14 BCS offers(Mich., Mich St., Penn St., Syracuse, WVU, Indiana, Kentucky, Cincy, Louisville, etc. Then had an FCS offer - YSU. He committed to Mich but signed with YSU. WTF ?

Huge target ,great hands, big size (6’4, 220), devastating blocker, big stats. Is this guy a head case ? Bad academics ? YSU should never have sniffed him much less signed him. But we did. There has got to be a story here.

ysubigred
February 3rd, 2022, 11:18 AM
Got to wonder about 4 star WR Trent from Mich. He had 14 BCS offers(Mich., Mich St., Penn St., Syracuse, WVU, Indiana, Kentucky, Cincy, Louisville, etc. Then had an FCS offer - YSU. He committed to Mich but signed with YSU. WTF ?

Huge target ,great hands, big size (6’4, 220), devastating blocker, big stats. Is this guy a head case ? Bad academics ? YSU should never have sniffed him much less signed him. But we did. There has got to be a story here.

Well maybe he came to Y-town to enjoy the wonderful fan base like yourself xsmiley_wix

The Yo Show
February 4th, 2022, 05:57 AM

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but maybe it had to do with how Harbaugh was playing around with NFL coaching opportunity and it seemed like he would leave? Then after that, he went with YSU because of DP and the fact that DP is a genuine guy he could trust?

Paladin1aa
February 4th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Cmon, Yo...lol. Hairball ? If that was the case , why not #2 BCS choice, #3 choice, etc.

What rumors are saying is it may have been academics and more probably, everyone wanted him to play defense. Kid wants to play WR and DP took him saying he could play that. So he passes on all the great BCS offers to play at an FCS at his preferred position.

The RBs offer contrasting styles. Both are TBs. Both show speed, good field vision, balance, use their blocking well and both have good leg strength with power. But size difference means one won’t take a pounding as an every down back. He , however shows good hands catching the ball. The other one, not so much.

The question is does McLaughlin get another year. Haven’t heard anything yet from the NCAA.

BeamMeUp
February 4th, 2022, 07:33 PM
Cmon, Yo...lol. Hairball ? If that was the case , why not #2 BCS choice, #3 choice, etc.

What rumors are saying is it may have been academics and more probably, everyone wanted him to play defense. Kid wants to play WR and DP took him saying he could play that. So he passes on all the great BCS offers to play at an FCS at his preferred position.

The RBs offer contrasting styles. Both are TBs. Both show speed, good field vision, balance, use their blocking well and both have good leg strength with power. But size difference means one won’t take a pounding as an every down back. He , however shows good hands catching the ball. The other one, not so much.

The question is does McLaughlin get another year. Haven’t heard anything yet from the NCAA.

Believe your rumors are on point Paladin. Haven’t heard of the kid being a head case, so hopefully he makes the most of the opportunity to play his desired position and does what he needs to do in the classroom. You’d know more than me, but would THAT many FBS schools offer a kid if his academics were that poor? As you state, likely a case of a kid with mediocre academics wanting to play WR in FCS over defense in FBS.

I’ll let you know if I hear more.

On the RB’s, two perennially strong programs with deep D1 recruiting pedigrees. Glad we have our foot in the door at both. It is programs like those in “State of Youngstown” which we should embrace along with connections in Sunshine State.

penguinpower
July 30th, 2022, 11:57 AM
What's up with the Ohio State transfer Hooker?

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2022, 01:40 PM
What's up with the Ohio State transfer Hooker?

Other than the announced transfer, nothing to report. Not on the roster yet and have not heard if he is on campus. I’ll have a report when players report and rosters are updated.

penguinpower
July 30th, 2022, 03:38 PM
Thanks! Please share your thoughts on him once you know more.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2022, 02:05 PM
Hooker is now on the roster. So too are all 44 recruited Frosh and transfers plus 2 new players. Biggest roster turnover in recent YSU history.

Hooker was an HM All B1G player in 2020. Solid defender of both run & pass. Played in 11 overall games for Ohio St. but had injuries and discipline problems that kept him out of the line up. Not as good as his older brother who played at Ohio St and is still tearing it up in the pros, but way better than this level of play. If he stays healthy ( and out of the doghouse), potential all star here.

BEAR
July 31st, 2022, 02:27 PM
My son is being recruited by various FCS schools including Youngstown (Nick Rosen) though not heavily. It was really cool visiting these FCS programs and their facilities and meeting their coaches and staff. He's got 9 offers so far with the biggest probably Air Force. NO idea what he will pick but he still has his senior year left so we'll see. Would love to visit Youngstown State campus though..

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2022, 02:44 PM
My son is being recruited by various FCS schools including Youngstown (Nick Rosen) though not heavily. It was really cool visiting these FCS programs and their facilities and meeting their coaches and staff. He's got 9 offers so far with the biggest probably Air Force. NO idea what he will pick but he still has his senior year left so we'll see. Would love to visit Youngstown State campus though..

No matter if he picks YSU or not, l would encourage a visit. Impressive facilities, both the stadium and the indoor practice WATTS. They look to be on the way back to playoff glory days.

BeamMeUp
July 31st, 2022, 08:19 PM
Paladin... can't recall if the brother duo from Fork Union (JUCO) were originally committed to YSU. Both are DB's, but didn't recall them on the original recruiting lists.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2022, 09:18 PM
Paladin... can't recall if the brother duo from Fork Union (JUCO) were originally committed to YSU. Both are DB's, but didn't recall them on the original recruiting lists.

Beam - they were not part of the early class. They signed on later, Feb. 2, 2022. The Julius brothers are solid recruits. This is a rare year where all who signed actually showed up. Good sign.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2022, 09:37 PM
BTW, one of my announced predictions last fall has come true. Tom Phillips, brother of YSU HC Doug Phillips is now on board as member of staff as an assistant to the HC. A former HC at Stow and Pickerington North ,as well as a former officer in the coaches association, I see him as a big assist in recruiting with contacts in Columbus suburbs and the Cleveland suburbs. Anything to get them away from wasting schollies on Valley players. Recruiting from the 3 Cs ( Cincy, Columbus , Cleveland) plus Florida puts them back in the playoff business. Smart move.

The Yo Show
July 31st, 2022, 10:03 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised with this recruiting class, great gets and as you pointed out paladin, ALL have shown up. Now, if the strength and conditioning program can develop what we already had returning this past off season, we could be on the way to a turn around. Regardless of what happens this year, I would like to see DP back for next year. He may not turn the corner this year, but next year will be highly promising.