PDA

View Full Version : Montana Punter Transfers to Nebraska After Winning FCS Punter of the Year

MSUBobcat
December 13th, 2021, 06:49 PM
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montanas-brian-buschini-enters-transfer-portal-after-winning-fcs-punter-of-the-year-award/article_85c9a81e-5d7d-5e89-851d-935888dbe631.html

Not sure I've ever heard of a punter hitting the portal to move up to FBS but good for him. Big loss for the Griz.

CopperCat
December 13th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Smart man. He's moving up AND he's not playing for Bobby anymore.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Smart man. He's moving up AND he's not playing for Bobby anymore.
Bobby's coaching and special teams expertise was a big reason he led the country in net punting.

Best of luck to the kid. He was pretty special this year for us. Hopefully he finds what he's looking for at the FBS level.

peavy
December 13th, 2021, 07:08 PM
9 AM announced as FCS Punter of the Year
10:05 AM Brian announces he's entering transfer portal
12:24 PM Brian announces first offer from Nebraska
6:11 PM Brian likes a tweet calling him future Nebraska punter

What a day, and what a time to be alive.
I'm not sure if Dickie V follows college football, but if he does I'm sure he'd offer his 2cents on the matter about this timeline

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 07:17 PM
He’ll have some competition for the job as Furman’s Kicker/Punter committed to Nebraska today.
https://twitter.com/timmybleekrode/status/1470176791872557064

More of a Placekicker than a Punter, but he’s a pretty fair Punter also…

Career Punting Statistics

Season
GP
ATT
YDS
Long
AVG
TB
FC
I20
50+
BLK

Total

“FCS, we’re the new JUCO’s. Shop us and see!”

grayghost06
December 13th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Nebraska did not have a dedicated special teams coach this year and it definitely showed in ALL aspects. Hard to imagine a P5 team that doesn't have one. Hope for his sake they finally hire one.

MTfan4life
December 13th, 2021, 09:08 PM
I don't believe he has selected a place to go yet. Nebraska was just his first offer.

dewey
December 13th, 2021, 10:05 PM
I don't believe he has selected a place to go yet. Nebraska was just his first offer.

You know that the tweet above he said "Very excited to announce my commitment to the University of Nebraska"

That sure seems luke he has selected Nebraska to me.

Dewey

peavy
December 13th, 2021, 10:22 PM
You know that the tweet above he said "Very excited to announce my commitment to the University of Nebraska"

Dewey

That's the Furman punter announcing his intentions. The Montana punter is Brian Buschini, and this is the closest thing he's done to announcing his commitment. Doesn't seem 'official' to me either but you may be able to read into it

https://i.postimg.cc/xdY1rsGB/b-Copy.jpg

Laker
December 13th, 2021, 10:29 PM
Well, on Fansville they did get a punter through the transfer portal to State after losing Rico. I bet that he came there because of Natasha Marc (Natalie).

https://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/21046440/740full-natasha-marc.jpg

MTfan4life
December 13th, 2021, 10:29 PM

Dewey

He retweeted a guy who said that. He didn't say that. He'd be a fool to pick Nebraska after the first day, especially with so many other teams still playing this season. I guess if you want to be able to focus on your studies during finals week every year, you might as well go to Nebraska. He lists himself as a "transfer portal punter" not a Nebraska punter. He's just hanging on to the attention right now.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2021, 10:38 PM
Well, on Fansville they did get a punter through the transfer portal to State after losing Rico.

beat me to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzboj89x0KY

dewey
December 13th, 2021, 10:51 PM
He retweeted a guy who said that. He didn't say that. He'd be a fool to pick Nebraska after the first day, especially with so many other teams still playing this season. I guess if you want to be able to focus on your studies during finals week every year, you might as well go to Nebraska. He lists himself as a "transfer portal punter" not a Nebraska punter. He's just hanging on to the attention right now.

DOH! Thanks for the correction.

Dewey

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 10:57 PM
That's the Furman punter announcing his intentions.
*Furman Kicker/Punter

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Not sure I've ever heard of a punter hitting the portal to move up to FBS but good for him. Big loss for the Griz.
Are you referring specifically to the transfer portal, or any kind of transfer? We've had some kickers move up, but they were all grad transfers.

Pat Smith (https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/pat-smith/15089) - 3 year placekicker for the Leathernecks, grad transfer to Nebraska
Luke Otto (https://nusports.com/sports/football/roster/luke-otto/5305) - 3 year punter for the Leathernecks, grad transfer to Northwestern
Sam Crosa (https://gobearcats.com/sports/football/roster/sam-crosa/9140) - 2 year placekicker for the Leathernecks, grad transfer to Cincinnati

Thankfully they didn't have that back in the early '00s, otherwise we probably would have lost Mike Scifres to a P5 team as well.

McNeese72
December 14th, 2021, 08:26 AM
beat me to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzboj89x0KY

He was good enough that I bet he didn't even have to have some Dr Pepper to be picked up by Nebraska. ;)

Doc

putter
December 14th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the new FCS. The minor leagues for the FBS where teams may/will lose their top players who want film against FBS competition .... ugh

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2021, 09:22 AM

Sonuva... I coulda swore it said he signed but after rereading, I must have presumed that he signed from reading some comments on the article on FB. I suppose there's no way to change the title?

peavy
December 14th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Sonuva... I coulda swore it said he signed but after rereading, I must have presumed that he signed from reading some comments on the article on FB. I suppose there's no way to change the title?

no need now. he made it official an hour ago. here's a little something extra that has since been deleted

https://i.postimg.cc/xdvkmdvM/np-Copy.jpg

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2021, 02:15 PM
no need now. he made it official an hour ago. here's a little something extra that has since been deleted

A little salt in the wound on the way out. Classy.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2021, 02:32 PM

I can change the title but the first article I read yesterday as it was going down said what you said too. Contrary evidence now could be because he's going back in the portal now. xlolx

POD Knows
December 14th, 2021, 03:27 PM

WTF

uofmman1122
December 14th, 2021, 04:55 PM
WTF
The scuttlebutt is that the animosity was related to not being offered a scholarship last year.

Pretty ****ty way to head out the door, though.

wapiti
December 14th, 2021, 04:57 PM
The scuttlebutt is that the animosity was related to not being offered a scholarship last year.

Pretty ****ty way to head out the door, though.

He should be on scholarship. He is a good punter.

uofmman1122
December 14th, 2021, 05:05 PM
He should be on scholarship. He is a good punter.
Yeah, he definitely earned it after this year, but there's no college football program on the planet that is going to give a walk on punter a scholarship before he's ever played in a single game.

JayJ79
December 14th, 2021, 05:11 PM

LetsGoGriz could use some remedial English and/or typing classes
(and I'd be shocked if a large percentage of student athletes entering the transfer portal didn't have "unofficial" communication of some sort with potential landing spots before they officially entered the portal)

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Yeah, he definitely earned it after this year, but there's no college football program on the planet that is going to give a walk on punter a scholarship before he's ever played in a single game.

100%. He HAD no big name offers before this season or he wouldn't have walked on in the first place. You can't get pissed at not getting a scholarship when YOU approach THEM for a spot on the team. I would suspect the Griz were going to be very amicable to the prospect of offering a scholarship next season.

Chalupa Batman
December 14th, 2021, 10:11 PM
That bridge didn't just get burned, it got blown up like it was the Bridge on the River Kwai.

Bobcat99
December 14th, 2021, 11:31 PM

BS. This **** isn’t hard.

They knew how he was punting in practice. All it takes is a simple, “hey kid, we believe in you but we need to see it in real time. Do this during the season and you’ll get a scholarship and we’ll retroactively apply it so you’re covered.” Makes everybody happy. It’s not uncommon. But Bobby couldn’t even do that.

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2021, 12:02 AM
BS. This **** isn’t hard.

They knew how he was punting in practice. All it takes is a simple, “hey kid, we believe in you but we need to see it in real time. Do this during the season and you’ll get a scholarship and we’ll retroactively apply it so you’re covered.” Makes everybody happy. It’s not uncommon. But Bobby couldn’t even do that.
You're trying so hard to turn this into a way to **** on Bobby and UM by making up nonsense to get mad at. You assume that UM even had scholarship money available to give to him retroactively (this doesn't happen very often for a reason. Most schollies awarded to players that earn it are given out before the season starts).

This doesn't even matter. It's clear from his posts that he wasn't planning on sticking around at UM either way, and decided to completely burn his bridges on the way out. Best of luck to him, I'm sure he'll do great.

MTfan4life
December 15th, 2021, 12:39 AM
I don't really understand going to Nebraska. With Toure it made more sense. He wasn't going to get a WR1 spot at any major contending program. With Buschini, though, if you take his average, he'd be top 10 in the FBS. Penn State and Michigan State, among many others, both had senior punters this season. Hopping on the first program that bit could be a mistake. Although, he's sure to be punting a lot in Nebraska, so he'll get a chance to showcase his skills there. Just a strange choice for a guy who could literally be a top contender at almost any program in the country.

Laker
December 15th, 2021, 07:18 AM
I don't really understand going to Nebraska. With Toure it made more sense. He wasn't going to get a WR1 spot at any major contending program. With Buschini, though, if you take his average, he'd be top 10 in the FBS. Penn State and Michigan State, among many others, both had senior punters this season. Hopping on the first program that bit could be a mistake. Although, he's sure to be punting a lot in Nebraska, so he'll get a chance to showcase his skills there. Just a strange choice for a guy who could literally be a top contender at almost any program in the country.

Maybe he figures that he will be punting a lot instead of going to a team that scores almost every time that they have the ball.

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2021, 11:58 AM
You're trying so hard to turn this into a way to **** on Bobby and UM by making up nonsense to get mad at. You assume that UM even had scholarship money available to give to him retroactively (this doesn't happen very often for a reason. Most schollies awarded to players that earn it are given out before the season starts).

This doesn't even matter. It's clear from his posts that he wasn't planning on sticking around at UM either way, and decided to completely burn his bridges on the way out. Best of luck to him, I'm sure he'll do great.
He was also on in-state tuition, and they try to save as many full schollys as possible for out of state kids. And yes, how sad but predictable that an MSU fan is preoccupied with UM drama when his team is hosting a semifinal this weekend.

CopperCat
December 15th, 2021, 02:08 PM
He was also on in-state tuition, and they try to save as many full schollys as possible for out of state kids. And yes, how sad but predictable that an MSU fan is preoccupied with UM drama when his team is hosting a semifinal this weekend.

You can't sit there and tell me that you wouldn't be saying the same thing if MSU was losing a player like that.

uofmman1122
December 15th, 2021, 03:02 PM
You can't sit there and tell me that you wouldn't be saying the same thing if MSU was losing a player like that.
If the circumstances were similar, I would be saying the same thing about MSU that I am about UM. Nothing wrong with taking your talents to the next level, but circumventing recruiting rules through your punter training group while you're still playing and then ****ting on the team that gave you a shot in the first place is always a bad look.

Bobcat99
December 15th, 2021, 03:28 PM

Unlike most Gris fans, I can think about more than one thing at a time. And no, I’m not thinking about a football game several days from now 24/7. My most excellent observations are fairly worthless, they don’t need my undivided attention.