PDA

View Full Version : ETSU's Randy Sanders Retires

OpTimeGuy
December 13th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Sanders just announced that he is retiring....

Mocs123
December 13th, 2021, 11:36 AM
That has to be a big shock to the Buc fanbase. Any idea on who will replace him?

OpTimeGuy
December 13th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Who knows, but my guess is DC Billy Taylor will be on the list.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Any idea on who will replace him?https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11709/jared-folks/

Mocs123
December 13th, 2021, 11:49 AM
Who knows, but my guess is DC Billy Taylor will be on the list.

I got to know Billy a little bit when he was the Mocs DC fifteen years or so ago, and he was a really great person and I really liked him. I know he's an ETSU grad ( I tried not to hold that against him!) and I'm sure it would be a dream job for him. If he gets the job, I'll wish him the best - unless he's playing the Mocs of course!!

ScrappytheOwl
December 13th, 2021, 11:59 AM
This amuses me. ETSU sniffs relevance and their coach bails. Back to the depths of the SOCON for them.

HootyHoo
December 13th, 2021, 12:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This made Hooty’s week. ETSU reminds Hooty of Icarus, who flew to close to the Sun. This move makes sense. Defeating KSU was the pinnacle of SOCON existence. The program can only go down from there. Hooty is pretty sure the conference declared Dec 4th a holiday. Why stick around for the revenge game when the Owls will inevitably obliterate the Bucs?

Lorne_Malvo
December 13th, 2021, 12:13 PM
He has been coaching for 32 years. Good for him to retire.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Ah, the KSU fans - you can always count on them to come in and make every post somehow about them. They remind me a bit of Georgia Southern, App State, and NDSU fans only without the National Championships. And since KSU didn't compete in FCS football during this time, I'll fill you in that GSU and App State were once top teams in the FCS and multiple National Championship winners.

As much as I would love to see the Bucs be the SoCon doormat, I don't think they will be. I'm not sure if they will stay SoCon Championship caliber in the post Quay Holmes era, but their administration has put a commitment into football where they won't drop too far down for long. The Bucs will be fine.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 12:17 PM
And…

https://twitter.com/tremondshorts/status/1470448183990001665

And…

https://twitter.com/_ho11ywood_/status/1470438499765698567

And…

https://twitter.com/donmanuel27/status/1470466518869856268

Hammerhead
December 13th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Leaving early for the NFL draft is a risky proposition for any FCS player. Does anyone know how many have declared for the draft before their eligibility was up? (not counting the extra season due to the pandemic)

Mocs123
December 13th, 2021, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Holmes has exhausted his eligibility - I don't think he's actually leaving early. That being said, today that is hard to keep up with with all the NCAA extra years.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Holmes has exhausted his eligibility - I don't think he's actually leaving early. That being said, today that is hard to keep up with with all the NCAA extra years.
Nah…he has another year…redshirted in ‘17 & used 3 years… ‘18, ‘19, ‘21…has his ‘free’ Covid year (‘20) left. - https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11677/quay-holmes/

Same as Shorts - https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11727/tremond-shorts/

Milktruck74
December 13th, 2021, 01:24 PM
https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11709/jared-folks/

Folks was offered the position, but he has decided to slow down and enjoy his grandkids!

Daytripper
December 13th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Leaving early for the NFL draft is a risky proposition for any FCS player. Does anyone know how many have declared for the draft before their eligibility was up? (not counting the extra season due to the pandemic)

I agree. Taking a big chance.

Milktruck74
December 13th, 2021, 01:42 PM
I was told those in Holmes ear have told him there is a limited shelf life to RBs. That his body only has so many carries left in it....and they aren't wrong...but...he may not get drafted, but he will get an invite and a shot!!!

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2021, 01:56 PM

He's listed as a junior

Edit: I see FUBeAR already beat me to it

JSUSoutherner
December 13th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Psst, John Grass is available and he's 8-0 vs the SoCon.

Mfergy4
December 13th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Congrats to Randy Sanders for 32 years of hard work and family sacrifice in the coaching world. May your retirement be nothing more stressful than finding the right fishing spot.

Mfergy4
December 13th, 2021, 02:32 PM
This amuses me. ETSU sniffs relevance and their coach bails. Back to the depths of the SOCON for them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This made Hooty’s week. ETSU reminds Hooty of Icarus, who flew to close to the Sun. This move makes sense. Defeating KSU was the pinnacle of SOCON existence. The program can only go down from there. Hooty is pretty sure the conference declared Dec 4th a holiday. Why stick around for the revenge game when the Owls will inevitably obliterate the Bucs?

Pretty classless responses.....thought Owls were smarter than that.

HootyHoo
December 13th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Pretty classless responses.....thought Owls were smarter than that.

What part of Blood feud do you not understand? Hooty is ruthless.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 13th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Holy cow, that was a mouthful over the past 48 hours or so. Coach Sanders deserves the thanks of a grateful fanbase. He brought a culture of winning and discipline to a team that was lacking in both. Here's hoping the next head coach will bring ETSU to the next level. I am grateful that he showed up at the time he did and made ETSU football relevant again.

The Cats
December 13th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Those KSU fans just exudes class....... both of them!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 13th, 2021, 05:10 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

When I was in the Navy and representing App State in 2007, I had a shipmate who had the nerve to give me a friendly reminder that Western Carolina was the better team. Never mind the fact that his side got a mudhole the size of Kidd Brewer Stadium stomped in them. I responded by giving him a friendly reminder as to who the superior team was. So HootyHoo, this serves as your friendly reminder that ETSU is STILL the superior team. And why is that?

32-31.

32-31!

HootyHoo
December 13th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Lighten up francis. The Coach retired, It's not like he got fired. The dude is probably going to fish and golf the rest of his days.

HootyHoo
December 13th, 2021, 05:15 PM
When I was in the Navy and representing App State in 2007, I had a shipmate who had the nerve to give me a friendly reminder that Western Carolina was the better team. Never mind the fact that his side got a mudhole the size of Kidd Brewer Stadium stomped in them. I responded by giving him a friendly reminder as to who the superior team was. So HootyHoo, this serves as your friendly reminder that ETSU is STILL the superior team. And why is that?

32-31.

32-31!

See! this is an appropiate response. Not this "so classless" whining. Yes, the Bucs won the day and deserve to be called the superior team. Howevever, i would advise not making the playoffs for a couple seasons. The Owls will be waiting for you.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2021, 05:25 PM

True. He certainly had the Mocs number and Samford wouldn't even play him.

rtzlunar
December 13th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Saunders figured getting b*tch slapped by the 🦬 once was enough. He remembered they had a future home and home with NDSU and decided “no mas”.

semobison
December 13th, 2021, 05:39 PM
I was impressed by the man. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2021, 06:51 PM

Chattownmocs even thinks Hooty and the KSU boys need to win a bit more first.

POD Knows
December 13th, 2021, 06:55 PM
They had the best defense in the FCS this year. What are you talking about.

ScrappytheOwl
December 13th, 2021, 08:37 PM
If taking enjoyment in ETSU falling back to the cellar is wrong, I dont want to be right. KSU does not get the respect they deserve. Literally no program EVER has won more games in their 1st 5 years and the comments on the board are ksu needs to win more games....right...

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Folks was offered the position, but he has decided to slow down and enjoy his grandkids!

good for him

JSUSoutherner
December 13th, 2021, 09:37 PM
Literally no program EVER has won more games in their 1st 5 years and the comments on the board are ksu needs to win more games....right...
You're right, it's impressive.

What's more impressive is that even though this is the case, Kennesaw has found a way to elude building a fanbase of more than 35 people.

HootyHoo
December 13th, 2021, 10:09 PM

Right, because 45 wins in the last 4 full seasons just wasn’t enough. Hooty will not tolerate anymore of this “prove it” BS. KSU will be a top 5 preseason team and there’s nothing you can do about it. We’ve won Atleast one game in every postseason we’ve competed in, 3 conference titles. KSU officially has a seat at the Table in FCS. We’re not elite yet, but we’re the next tier down.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2021, 10:53 PM
KSU officially has a seat at the Table in FCS. We’re not elite yet, but we’re the next tier down.
KSU - the George & Weezy of the FCS.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2021, 10:58 PM
Right, because 45 wins in the last 4 full seasons just wasn’t enough. Hooty will not tolerate anymore of this “prove it” BS. KSU will be a top 5 preseason team and there’s nothing you can do about it. We’ve won Atleast one game in every postseason we’ve competed in, 3 conference titles. KSU officially has a seat at the Table in FCS. We’re not elite yet, but we’re the next tier down.

Looks like a tshirt in the making.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2021, 06:13 AM
If taking enjoyment in ETSU falling back to the cellar is wrong, I dont want to be right. KSU does not get the respect they deserve. Literally no program EVER has won more games in their 1st 5 years and the comments on the board are ksu needs to win more games....right...

not more games

more playoff games

Mocs123
December 14th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Literally no program EVER has won more games in their 1st 5 years and the comments on the board are ksu needs to win more games....right...

KSU's first five years is impressive - I can't deny that, though if you really want to talk the most successful start up program EVER you should look at Georgia Southern. They played their first FCS game in 1984, won National Championships in 1985 and 1986. Went to the Quarterfinals in 1987, lost the NC game in 1988 (and then went on to win NC's in 1989 and 1990 - though that was year 6 and 7 of the program). So in the first five years of the Eagles program they had two National Championships, another Runner Up, and a playoff record of 12-2. That sort of success will probably never be seen again in a programs first five years.

Milktruck74
December 14th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Rumor up here is there is a ton of push from former players, Alumni, and donors/supporters for Scott Carter and Brian Nolan to name Billy Taylor the HC. He is the safe and easy pick, but is he the right pick? I just have to wonder if it was him, why wasn't this all set up and announced a month or so ago to avoid the flood to the portal that is usually inevitable and to maintain commitments....we are 24 hours away from signing day!!!

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Rumor up here is there is a ton of push from former players, Alumni, and donors/supporters for Scott Carter and Brian Nolan to name Billy Taylor the HC. He is the safe and easy pick, but is he the right pick? I just have to wonder if it was him, why wasn't this all set up and announced a month or so ago to avoid the flood to the portal that is usually inevitable and to maintain commitments....we are 24 hours away from signing day!!!yeah…despite all the nicey-nicey words here…something smells just a little off…kinda like milk on its expiration day…doesn’t quite smell bad, but there’s something in the aroma that tells you it might get a good bit worse in the days ahead.

Milktruck74
December 14th, 2021, 08:15 AM
yeah…despite all the nicey-nicey words here…something smells just a little off…kinda like milk on its expiration day…doesn’t quite smell bad, but there’s something in the aroma that tells you it might get a good bit worse in the days ahead.

Maybe this is me talking out of both sides of my mouth, but.... I think Randy seems to be an honorable guy and I don't foresee some scandalous dealings that led to this (if so, they have done a great job keeping it quiet), but the timing is REALLY SUSPECT and if something comes out later, I won't be shocked.

Milktruck74
December 14th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Fortunately for him I have neither, but if I had and pull or clout with Brian Nolan and Scott Carter, I would use every bit of it to advocate for making FuBear "an offer he couldn't refuse" to take over this program....simply to see him have to add an eyepatch to his avatar and forever be known as FuBearBuc.

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Fortunately for him I have neither, but if I had and pull or clout with Brian Nolan and Scott Carter, I would use every bit of it to advocate for making FuBear "an offer he couldn't refuse" to take over this program....simply to see him have to add an eyepatch to his avatar and forever be known as FuBearBuc.
BucFUBeAR has a better ring to it.

I’ve heard a lot of people say something that sounded a lot like “Buc FUBeAR” over the years.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2021, 09:30 PM

Nevermind, Grass got hired by Dabo Swinney.

kdinva
December 18th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Coach Sanders finished 3rd in the Eddie Robinson Coach of Year voting, did get more first place votes than others, just not enough other votes to overtake the winner, Coach D Sanders

POD Knows
December 18th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Coach Sanders finished 3rd in the Eddie Robinson Coach of Year voting, did get more first place votes than others, just not enough other votes to overtake the winner, Coach D Sanders
His name isn’t D Sanders, it is @CoachPrime I saw it on the back of his ****ing shirt.

OpTimeGuy
December 19th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Jeff Fisher…..what?

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/news/former-titans-coach-fisher-in-the-mix-for-etsu-job/article_83300210-60ff-11ec-8e4e-d7c377cd7ea9.html

JSUSoutherner
December 19th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Jeff Fisher…..what?

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/news/former-titans-coach-fisher-in-the-mix-for-etsu-job/article_83300210-60ff-11ec-8e4e-d7c377cd7ea9.html

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 19th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Jeff Fisher…..what?

Fisher is a former NFL coach with a trip to Super Bowl to his name. He could work, at least he would be a better choice for us than Schellno was at Big Brother. Hell, if we're looking at former NFL head coaches, why not ETSU alum Mike Smith? Smith has a Lombardi to his name thanks to his stint with the Raisins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Smith_(American_football_coach)

Milktruck74
December 20th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Fisher would be terrible as a College coach. Coaching is one thing but at our level, you got to get recruits...Yeah he has a super bowl ring, but he is 63 years old and hasn't been the Titan's coach since most of the kids he will be recruiting were in 1st grade. HE ain't the guy!!! Then again, as a Mocs fan....he is perfect!!!!

FUBeAR
December 20th, 2021, 02:01 PM
If you think about…and think about trends in FCS & College Football overall, there is really only 1 viable candidate for the ETSU Head Coach job…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwkvd7sCQAAk1bC?format=jpg&name=900x900

POD Knows
December 20th, 2021, 06:01 PM
If you think about…and think about trends in FCS & College Football overall, there is really only 1 viable candidate for the ETSU Head Coach job…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bwkvd7sCQAAk1bC?format=jpg&name=900x900
Who is that. He looks like that gay guy that Renee Zellwinger married back in the day

FUBeAR
December 20th, 2021, 06:17 PM
Who is that. He looks like that gay guy that Renee Zellwinger married back in the day
Sure…but he knows Football…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEc1m-r_0gM
…and, more importantly, can bring media attention/NIL providers to Johnson City, TN

POD Knows
December 20th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Sure…but he knows Football…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEc1m-r_0gM
…and, more importantly, can bring media attention/NIL providers to Johnson City, TN
That is true. Style over substance. I get it. He could have a shirt that says @Reneeisaliar and all will be good.

TheKingpin28
December 20th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Who is that. He looks like that gay guy that Renee Zellwinger married back in the dayI see what you did there.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 23rd, 2021, 03:42 PM
ETSU confirms the news that George Quarles will succeed Randy Sanders as their head coach.

https://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2021-22/18402/george-quarles-named-head-coach-of-etsu-football/

FUBeAR
December 23rd, 2021, 04:18 PM
ETSU confirms the news that George Quarles will succeed Randy Sanders as their head coach.

https://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2021-22/18402/george-quarles-named-head-coach-of-etsu-football/
Happy for Coach Quarles & family, but without Coach Chesney on the job, ETSU’s QB Tyler Riddell’s Reality Show, “Not Rocky Top, Carrot Top,” is off the table.

https://cdn.streamlinehosting.net/etsubucs/1FCFEDB7-D5D6-453B-AC40-0A9C38DF1E3B/18837L.jpg