PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire - James Madison

PantherRob82
September 8th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Last year I sat at my computer for this game watching the CN8 feed. I was BLOWN AWAY by the way the game went.

What do CAA fans think of this years matchup?

JMUSaxMRD
September 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Well, it is going to be a really close game. This week JMU has their two starting cornerbacks back, so that should help against the passing game that NH has. If our passing defense steps up, and Landers feels more comfortable I'd say we can pull off the win. We also have homefield advantage, and with our crowd and the Marching Royal Dukes (our band which I'm in) it could easily turn the tide to a JMU upset over NH!

GO DUKES!

rcny46
September 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Well, it is going to be a really close game. This week JMU has their two starting cornerbacks back, so that should help against the passing game that NH has. If our passing defense steps up, and Landers feels more comfortable I'd say we can pull off the win. We also have homefield advantage, and with our crowd and the Marching Royal Dukes (our band which I'm in) it could easily turn the tide to a JMU upset over NH!

GO DUKES!

I'm not sure it would be considered an upset if JMU wins the game.I wouldn't want to pick a winner in this one,but if UNH gets off on the wrong foot,and their revamped D isn't up to par,I think it could get ugly.

ChickenMan
September 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
If UNH can control the running game and make JMU throw 25+ times I think they will get the win.. as I'm far from convinced that Rodney Landers can carry the load when it comes to the passing game.

mcveyrl
September 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM
If UNH can control the running game and make JMU throw 25+ times I think they will get the win.. as I'm far from convinced that Rodney Landers can carry the load when it comes to the passing game.

Someone said this earlier, but if Landers has to throw a lot and doesn't get it done, there could be some calls for Drew Dudzik (the backup).

bandl
September 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM

NOt quite 25 throws....and UNH definitely did not even come close to controlling the running game. 20 carries for 128 yards and two touchdowns rushing, 14-of-22 for 241 yards and one touchdown passing for Landers.

Santos was good (except for his two interceptions, which were just huge). But Landers was better. Seems like some teams might just have to worry about Landers now. xnodx

ChickenMan
September 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Seems like some teams might just have to worry about Landers now. xnodx

there's another CAA QB you might need to worry about as well.. through the first two games he's...

36 for 45... 510 yrds... ;)

Peems
September 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
NOt quite 25 throws....and UNH definitely did not even come close to controlling the running game. 20 carries for 128 yards and two touchdowns rushing, 14-of-22 for 241 yards and one touchdown passing for Landers.

Santos was good (except for his two interceptions, which were just huge). But Landers was better. Seems like some teams might just have to worry about Landers now. xnodx

Hard to say, I mean Santos has to win the game, while Landers just has to manage it. But Landers did do that, on the ground and through the air. So congrats to him, but he has a ways to go.

bandl
September 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
there's another CAA QB you might need to worry about as well.. through the first two games he's...

36 for 45... 510 yrds... ;)

I'll give you that...West Chester is certainly known for their stellar defense! xnodx xnodx xrotatehx xrotatehx

bandl
September 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hard to say, I mean Santos has to win the game, while Landers just has to manage it. But Landers did do that, on the ground and through the air. So congrats to him, but he has a ways to go.

Anyone who actually watched the game knows who was the better quarterback. xthumbsupx

NYJMUSupporter
September 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Landers really showed why coach Matthews and Durden have been so high on him. He really has all the tools to be a dominant QB at the FCS level. I am really excited about watching him grow as a QB!

CopperCat
September 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Landers really showed why coach Matthews and Durden have been so high on him. He really has all the tools to be a dominant QB at the FCS level. I am really excited about watching him grow as a QB!

Welcome to the board NYJMU!!!!

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Almost the same result as last year.

th0m
September 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Yes only last year we dominated them throughout the game whereas this game it was fairly even until the 3rd quarter when UNH's wheels came off.

Also, this was the first game for UNH.

UNH SUPERFAN
September 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I thought Landers was super, a much better QB than Rascati. UNH could not contend with his speed and strength. Hard for me to believe he was ever Rascati's backup.

Dukie95
September 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
It was really oppressively hot - the hotest game I can remember at JMU - JMU was winning the possession battle and you could tell the UNH defense was struggling in the 3rd and 4th quarters - they just couldn't make any plays and they stopped leaving their feet.

As the sun sets, it sets behind the JMU bench, so the JMU players got some shade in the 4th quarter, while UNH continued to bake.

rcny46
September 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Excuses,excuses.xsmiley_wix

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Just don't let UMass off the hook this year! No excuses allowed there at all!

BDKJMU
September 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Good luck to UNH against the Thundering Herd. Go pull another upset of a I-A team!

WrenFGun
September 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
JMU continued to the beating from last year, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what kind of defense they're teaching this UNH team, but I saw so many arm tackles and headshot attempts that it was ugly. Flanders looks very, very good, though I'd like to see them get more out of their talented WR's. I'm not sure JMU's defense proved they could stop UNH, but UNH got victimized by continued roll-outs that saw Santos on the run. They also good not run the ball at all, though Kackert getting hurt surely hurt.

I won't elaborate too much, but UNH may HAVE TO swing that upset over Marshall to have any reasonable shot at surviving the season. I'll be there!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
UNH will still be good. We JMU fans were about to throw poor Rodney Landers under the bus after what we witnessed in Chapel Hill, but he redeemed himself this week. It's a long season, and Harrisonburg and 92 degrees is not an easy start for any team.

As usual, UNH will continue to put up more points than most of their opponents. We just hope you outscore UMass to keep our hopes of an outright CAA-title alive!

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I thought Landers was super, a much better QB than Rascati. UNH could not contend with his speed and strength. Hard for me to believe he was ever Rascati's backup.

There was never any doubt that Landers was much quicker than Rascati. However, the season is young and Landers still has to prove himself. Lander's speed and mobility does open the play book and should be exciting to watch for the next couple of years.

Go Dukes....

rcny46
September 11th, 2007, 01:11 AM
JMU continued to the beating from last year, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what kind of defense they're teaching this UNH team, but I saw so many arm tackles and headshot attempts that it was ugly. Flanders looks very, very good, though I'd like to see them get more out of their talented WR's. I'm not sure JMU's defense proved they could stop UNH, but UNH got victimized by continued roll-outs that saw Santos on the run. They also good not run the ball at all, though Kackert getting hurt surely hurt.

I won't elaborate too much, but UNH may HAVE TO swing that upset over Marshall to have any reasonable shot at surviving the season. I'll be there!

Just a couple of comments on your post:The radio guys were commenting for most of the game about the sloppy and poor tackling on the part of UNH.The coaching staff supposedly thought going in to that game that the D was much improved over last year.I don't know if I agree---so far.You mentioned Santos being continually on the run,which seemed to be the case.I read a local sports article on Monday which said that the O line gave Ricky all the protection he needed,but was less than adequate when run blocking.Strange.If Kackert has a typical hamstring problem,he may not see much playing time this season,which is a shame.I hope Boyle doesn't have a recurrence of that problem.They can't afford to lose him.BTW,in `05 M.B. led the A-10 in punt returns,but I don't think he was even used in that role against JMU.If they lose to Marshall,I would think they'd pretty much have to go 8-1 the rest of the way to qualify for the playoffs.

WrenFGun
September 11th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Indeed, if UNH loses to Marshall, they'd have to go 2-1 against the group of UMass, Delaware and Richmond, and defeat everyone else on their schedule (Northeastern, Maine, Hofstra, URI, Iona, Dartmouth).

Yes, Kackert being hurt would really kill us. Chris Ward is awful.

UNHWILDCATS05
September 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
It's really looking like a must win this weekend - sounds strange being the second game of the season, but otherwise I don't see them going 8-1 the rest of the way - the league is just too tough, there are bound to be slip ups.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
It's really looking like a must win this weekend - sounds strange being the second game of the season, but otherwise I don't see them going 8-1 the rest of the way - the league is just too tough, there are bound to be slip ups.

This sounds like the echoes of JMU fans last week. It does sounds strange for game 2, but there is just too little room for error in this league. URI, Northeastern, W&M, Villanova, Maine - all capable of winning against anyone. And those are the "easy" teams to some people.

Best of luck, we took care of business in week 2, I sincerely hope you smack around Marshall in what is bound to be a VERY high scoring affair. xnodx

rcny46
September 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Indeed, if UNH loses to Marshall, they'd have to go 2-1 against the group of UMass, Delaware and Richmond, and defeat everyone else on their schedule (Northeastern, Maine, Hofstra, URI, Iona, Dartmouth).

Yes, Kackert being hurt would really kill us. Chris Ward is awful.

I'm not sure what the problem is with Chris Ward.A number of FBS schools - including BC - were taking a serious look at him from what I read at the time,but he just hasn't lived up to expectations.Until Chad Kackert returns,Simpson should be the go to guy at RB.I'd even give Kaysonne Anderson a shot.He looked good going into `06.Shawn Jellison could be a surprise too,but he's injured at the moment as well.

WrenFGun
September 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Chris just seems to run into the first defender he sees. He is terrible in the open field and he really can't get around anyone. It's unfortunate because he's got great size for an FCS RB. Simpson is the only RB we have who can get inside yardage, and he's a better outside runner than Ward, too. I'd rather see snaps for Matt O'Brien, Sean Jellison, K. Anderson (who may now be a DB) and even Levan or Boyle.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Chris just seems to run into the first defender he sees. He is terrible in the open field and he really can't get around anyone. It's unfortunate because he's got great size for an FCS RB. Simpson is the only RB we have who can get inside yardage, and he's a better outside runner than Ward, too. I'd rather see snaps for Matt O'Brien, Sean Jellison, K. Anderson (who may now be a DB) and even Levan or Boyle.

Only problem Wren is that O'Brien and Jellison are hurt. I believe Anderson has been moved back to RB (after being moved from RB to DB during Spring Practice).