PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Dealing with QBs

ElCid
December 10th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Actually saw this play live and thought, wow, that was cheap. Pittsburg QB faked a slide against WF in ACC championship game. It's now a penalty to do that per the NCAA That was fast work. I think they whole over-protecting the QB is a little overboard, but this should hopefully prevent it from happening much. Also, it isn't reviewable.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-to-implement-kenny-pickett-rule

mvemjsunpx
December 10th, 2021, 05:20 PM
They had to make sure this wasn't allowed. Allowing a fake slide is basically like allowing a fake whistle.

NY Crusader 2010
December 10th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Saw the play. Wasn't impressed. Good rule.

ysubigred
December 10th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Actually saw this play live and thought, wow, that was cheap. Pittsburg QB faked a slide against WF in ACC championship game. It's now a penalty to do that per the NCAA That was fast work. I think they whole over-protecting the QB is a little overboard, but this should hopefully prevent it from happening much. Also, it isn't reviewable.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-to-implement-kenny-pickett-ruleFootball has become a pussy sport.. if you put on cleats and a helmet,, game on! Targeting WTF! That's why hockey is the ultimate athletes..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wapiti
December 10th, 2021, 10:17 PM
Is it a penalty or the play is dead at the point of the fake slide?

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Is it a penalty or the play is dead at the point of the fake slide?
It's just dead at the spot of the fake, no penalty according to this.

Ball Declared Dead – Rule 4-1-3

Play #1: 3/10 @ B-40. QB A12 takes the snap and rolls out to the right. Finding no receiver open, A12 turns up field and runs. After making the line to gain, A12 breaks stride as if he is going to slide feet first at the B-27, stays upright and runs for a touchdown.

RULING: The live ball becomes dead at the point where A12 simulates or fakes as if he will begin a feet-first slide. An official shall sound their whistle and declare the ball dead. Team A will have 1/10 @ B-27.

Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball

ElCid
December 10th, 2021, 11:10 PM
I got the impression it would be a penalty from the article, but it wasn't clear. But holy cow, QBs, or any ball carrier, need to be careful making a cut or a ref might just "think" he was trying to fake a slide. Or what about a slick turf, and unintended body english, but the ball carrier stays on his feet. It's not reviewable either. I would hate to see abuse by home-cooking refs. But in practical application, I think just having the rule will prevent its abuse.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 11:17 PM
I got the impression it would be a penalty from the article, but it wasn't clear. But holy cow, QBs, or any ball carrier, need to be careful making a cut or a ref might just "think" he was trying to fake a slide. Or what about a slick turf, and unintended body english, but the ball carrier stays on his feet. It's not reviewable either. I would hate to see abuse by home-cooking refs. But in practical application, I think just having the rule will prevent its abuse.
I disagree a little. It was really blatant in the Pitt example, so much so that no one had ever really seen it before. I doubt you're gonna get a weird juke that tricks the refs into thinking the guy was going down, otherwise we'd have seen something like this before.

peavy
December 11th, 2021, 12:08 AM
https://giphy.com/gifs/aeCu0ynws6jrl1yNY6Someone on the SDSU message board saw that QB Chris Oladokun tweeted this image along with a gif of the play that happened at the end of the Sac St game. His play has also been included with the fake slide rule (See Unsportsmanlike Conduct – Unfair Tactics – Rule 9-2-2). This new change will undoubtedly trickle down to high school football and eventually peewee football, thereby creating a very slippery slope in the world of trick plays (much to the dismay of youth football coaches everywhere). Word on the street is the following plays are next on the chopping block, and the rule will eventually include the weird formation plays such as that one failed Colts fake punt where only one person is under center and everyone else is on the other side of the field.
https://i.postimg.cc/4Nh7gthg/c.jpg
https://media.giphy.com/media/sELCRKLGJGeH0ZaP0y/giphy-downsized-large.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/P5EXkFTUvHjnGzlEXr/giphy-downsized-large.gif

peavy
December 11th, 2021, 12:11 AM
Oladokun play for those who haven't seen it
https://media.giphy.com/media/aeCu0ynws6jrl1yNY6/giphy-downsized-large.gif

ElCid
December 11th, 2021, 12:14 AM
I disagree a little. It was really blatant in the Pitt example, so much so that no one had ever really seen it before. I doubt you're gonna get a weird juke that tricks the refs into thinking the guy was going down, otherwise we'd have seen something like this before.

Oh I agree. That is why I said in practical application it shouldn't be an issue since players know its a foul. So I would hope the refs do not get "over" sensitive. I would just hate to see it applied in error. I'm actually a little surprised it has never come up before. Maybe it has, but in low profile games so only a few saw it. Unlike this episode, where EVERYONE saw it.

peavy
December 11th, 2021, 12:25 AM
Sorry, I can't edit my posts yet. Here is rule 9-2-2-b from the 2019 handbook along with the approved rulings
"No simulated replacements or substitutions may be used to confuseopponents. No tactic associated with substitutes or the substitution processmay be used to confuse opponents (Rule 3-5-2-e) (A.R. 9-2-2-I-V)."
https://i.postimg.cc/Z500YdQH/9-2-2-b.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/D0FdRgBB/9-2-2-approved-ruling.jpg

WeAreThePride
December 11th, 2021, 12:35 AM
I think a self correcting way to fix this would be, do it once? Fine. You don't get any more RTP calls in your favor.

Ever again.

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 08:01 AM
I think a self correcting way to fix this would be, do it once? Fine. You don't get any more RTP calls in your favor.

Ever again.
I wonder if that trick play UND used against NDSU would be included in this deal.

MR. CHICKEN
December 11th, 2021, 08:48 AM
......DELAWARE LOST UH GAME ONCE...(CAIN'T REMBERAH WHAA TEAM).....WHEN OPPOSIN' PLAYER....JOGGED OFF DUH FIELD.....BUT STOPPED @ SIDELINE IN BOUNDS.....TRICK PLAY......NEEDLESS TA SAY....WIDE OPEN FO' TD......DAT SHOODUH..SPURRNED...UH RULE CHANGE THERE.....IT HAPPENED MANY MOONS AGO...ANY HEN REMEMBER DUH TEAM??........BRAWK!

ps....AH MIGHT BE OLDEST HEN FAN HERE......BUT MAYBEAH SOMEONE....'MEMBERS.............AWK!

JSUSoutherner
December 11th, 2021, 09:46 AM
This play is clean. It's essentially a wildcat with a diversion. Even Peyton Manning has done this.

clenz
December 11th, 2021, 04:26 PM
This play is clean. It's essentially a wildcat with a diversion. Even Peyton Manning has done this.
He hasn't.

Chris put his hands under center. That instantly means he is the only one allowed to take the snap - long been the rule. He wouldn't even be able to go back into gun without a full audible to take the snap. Once your hands are under center you're locked there for taking the snap

Peyton always made sure, and there is well known footage of it, to tell the refs to "Make sure to watch my hands"

EDIT

After watching it a few more times - he should have been hit with a false start

He runs up to the center, gets under center, barks a few fake snap calls...he's fine until there

He also then starts to back out from under center, and then before he is all the way out he dives back in and starts barking more fakes before being set again

That's a false start on the QB. He didn't back out to make changes. He never fully left being under center. He shifted his weight backwards while staying under center and then rocked forward again in an attempt to get a jump from the defense.

That's a false start.

JayJ79
December 11th, 2021, 09:04 PM

what's that have to do with the "fake sliding" rule? I don't see him faking a slide in that play.
the issue with faking a slide is that with the player safety rules, when someone slides, defensive players are required to avoid hitting them or risk a penalty.
that isn't the case with the trick play shown here.

peavy
December 11th, 2021, 09:34 PM
what's that have to do with the "fake sliding" rule? I don't see him faking a slide in that play.
the issue with faking a slide is that with the player safety rules, when someone slides, defensive players are required to avoid hitting them or risk a penalty.

You're right. What I meant to say was that they made a ruling on the Oladokun play, just as they did on the Pitt QB fake slide, and they released the info on the same bulletin.

ngineer
December 11th, 2021, 09:37 PM
The issue is whether the player is taking advantage of a rule designed to protect the safety of the players. The QB fake slide rule is clearly that, knowing that the opposition will 'pull up' upon seeing the feint by the runner. Trick plays are okay so long as they are just diversions or taking advantage of the opposition not being alert. Like the old 'hidden ball' trick by the first baseman in baseball. But abusing a rule designed to protect a player is wrong, and in my view is unsportsmanlike--15 yards from point of the infraction. That will stop it.

Go Green
December 12th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Anyone curious to hear about the time that the NCAA told the Ivy to knock **** off, see below:

Gridiron Garb: Cornell Big Red (1965) (http://gridirongarb.blogspot.com/2015/01/cornell-big-red-1965.html)

WeAreThePride
December 12th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Exactly. I like trick plays. Heck, every play in football is a trick play to some degree. It's a game of deception. Even when NDSU got burned by UND with that fake sideline consultation this year, I admired the play design.

But if you're going to take advantage of a rule designed to keep you safe, and force a defender to let up? Let's just say I wouldn't shed a tear if a 330 pound nose tackle lifted Picket up and set him back down not so gently in his bowl game.

JSUSoutherner
December 12th, 2021, 10:39 AM
He hasn't.

Chris put his hands under center. That instantly means he is the only one allowed to take the snap - long been the rule. He wouldn't even be able to go back into gun without a full audible to take the snap. Once your hands are under center you're locked there for taking the snap

Peyton always made sure, and there is well known footage of it, to tell the refs to "Make sure to watch my hands"

EDIT

After watching it a few more times - he should have been hit with a false start

He runs up to the center, gets under center, barks a few fake snap calls...he's fine until there

He also then starts to back out from under center, and then before he is all the way out he dives back in and starts barking more fakes before being set again

That's a false start on the QB. He didn't back out to make changes. He never fully left being under center. He shifted his weight backwards while staying under center and then rocked forward again in an attempt to get a jump from the defense.

That's a false start.
I can't seem to find the clip, but Peyton had a play with the Broncos where he got under center, then moved over a spot like he was yelling at the right tackle on an adjustment and they direct snapped to the running back. I don't remember what year. It was either 14 or 15 but I remember watching it live. It may not have been the exact same, but it was the same premise of having the QB be a distraction on a direct snap.