PDA

View Full Version : Montana State/Sam Houston 2011

acbearkat
December 9th, 2021, 09:11 PM
In the quarterfinals the Bobcats and Bearkats met up in Huntsville, with Sam Houston winning 42-13. I was a student at that time at Sam, and I was at the game. I don’t remember much about the game, and then the next week was beating Montana 31-28 at Bowers to go to the national championship game. The next year, the Kats went to Bozeman and beat Montana State in the quarterfinals and then beat Eastern Washington the next week in Cheney to make it back to the national championship game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2021, 09:21 PM
In the quarterfinals the Bobcats and Bearkats met up in Huntsville, with Sam Houston winning 42-13. I was a student at that time at Sam, and I was at the game. I don’t remember much about the game, and then the next week was beating Montana 31-28 at Bowers to go to the national championship game. The next year, the Kats went to Bozeman and beat Montana State in the quarterfinals and then beat Eastern Washington the next week in Cheney to make it back to the national championship game.

While Rob Ash was a great guy he was not cut out to take Montana State to the next level nationally. Those McGee Montana State teams were sadly quite overrated. I lived in Bozeman during a time of great hype but little substance imo. Granted, Ash inherited a mess given the fact Kramer had little to no moral compass. Or so that was the narrative I heard....

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2021, 09:39 PM

I am all for that 2011/2012 history repeating for Sam this year! ;)

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Sam had one good quarter in that one, and then it was pretty much all Griz. Came up just short, as the score would indicate. And then the whole program went to ****.

Katfan
December 10th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Sam had one good quarter in that one, and then it was pretty much all Griz. Came up just short, as the score would indicate. And then the whole program went to ****.
Actually Sam dominated the first half until Bell threw a pick near half. So much so that you guys went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a fg. In hindsight had you taken the 3 you guys probably would have won because you clearly out played us in the 2nd half. It was probably the best game ever played at Bowers!looking forward to your game against JMU tonight. Expecting a classic. Good Luck!

Silenoz
December 10th, 2021, 01:18 PM
The worst part was the deep pass to a wide open Jabin Sambrano that would have given us the lead. Not sure what happened, but the ball just died and landed way short. Alas...

Now, would we have gotten our ass kicked by NDSU the next round anyway? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

And of course it would have technically been vacated, which would be a fun ongoing debate xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Actually Sam dominated the first half until Bell threw a pick near half. So much so that you guys went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a fg. In hindsight had you taken the 3 you guys probably would have won because you clearly out played us in the 2nd half. It was probably the best game ever played at Bowers!looking forward to your game against JMU tonight. Expecting a classic. Good Luck!

I remember seeing Bell and Sam Houston for first time in the Stony Brook game

10 years gone 😞

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2021, 04:14 PM
The worst part was the deep pass to a wide open Jabin Sambrano that would have given us the lead. Not sure what happened, but the ball just died and landed way short. Alas...

Now, would we have gotten our ass kicked by NDSU the next round anyway? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

And of course it would have technically been vacated, which would be a fun ongoing debate xlolx
Not so sure we would have lost to NDSU, and I'm also not sure we would have vacated a national championship, since we were the ones that decided to vacate the wins in 2011.

It's one thing to willingly vacate 2 playoff wins when you fall short, and entirely another to willingly vacate your school's 3rd NC.

Katfan
December 10th, 2021, 04:16 PM
I remember seeing Bell and Sam Houston for first time in the Stony Brook game

10 years gone 
That was a slugfest