PDA

View Full Version : 5 Games I'm Keeping An Eye On--9/8/2007

BigApp
September 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
By far, this has been one of the toughest weeks since I've been compiling this list. The App/UM game along brought enough distractions, but taking a look at the national schedule (especially out West--Ft Lewis?)...it was doubly tough. To top it off, for the 2nd week in a row, I step away from my own set of guidelines (actually 2 this week-a SoCon game and a Top 25 game). Nonetheless, here we go:

#5 New Hampshire (0-0) @ #10 James Madison (0-1) --the only storyline needed to pique my interest in this matchup is this: UNH backup QB Hank Hendricks has been charged with Murder. This is a distraction of sad proportions, right as the team would be leaving NH for Harrisonburg. Plus, it's the home opener for JMU and they already have a game under their belts, this is the opener for UNH. And, it's on the road.
#2 UMass (1-0) @ #44 Colgate (1-0) --For UMass, this is a classic "sandwich" game for the Minutemen. After their tough opener against Holy Cross, there's this game, then 2 CAA games and the Boston College tilt. Both are coming off difficult openers, I'm certain the Raiders have had this one circled for a loooong time. This is a statement game for Colgate. We'll see if that statement is punctuated with a period or an exclamation point.
#9 Furman (1-0) @ Hofstra (0-0) --This game looks like a mismatch. But let's take a stroll through recent history, shall we? Hofstra went down to Greenville, SC and defeated Furman 31-24 in the 1st Round of the 2000 playoffs. In 2005, they travelled again to Greenville and lost to FU in 2OT's 44-41. Hofstra returns 17 starters (2 all-CAA LB's and an All-American placekicker) from a team that did finish 2-9 last season, but their 8 FCS losses were by a combined 50 points (only 2 losses were by more than 7 points). Since 1983, Hofstra is 22-2 in season openers, and 20-4 in home openers. The Paladins may very well win this game, but they'll have earned it if they do.
#15 Hampton (0-0) @ Howard (0-0) --Season opener for both teams. But looking through the MEAC preseason guides, I can't quite figure something out: Howard places 4 on the all-MEAC defense, and 2 on offense (6 total all-conference selections), yet are picked to finish 8th in the MEAC? Only one team placed more on the all-MEAC squads: Hampton, with 7 selections.
I haven't done this before, but due to lack of compelling games, I'm wrapping all these up into one, I look for the sum of these games to be upsets: #8 Northern Iowa @ Iowa St, #11 Southern Illinois @ Northern Illinois, #22 Cal-Poly @ Idaho.

AZGrizFan
September 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
By far, this has been one of the toughest weeks since I've been compiling this list. The App/UM game along brought enough distractions, but taking a look at the national schedule (especially out West--Ft Lewis?)...it was doubly tough. To top it off, for the 2nd week in a row, I step away from my own set of guidelines (actually 2 this week-a SoCon game and a Top 25 game). Nonetheless, here we go:

#5 New Hampshire (0-0) @ #10 James Madison (0-1) --the only storyline needed to pique my interest in this matchup is this: UNH backup QB Hank Hendricks has been charged with Murder. This is a distraction of sad proportions, right as the team would be leaving NH for Harrisburg. Plus, it's the home opener for JMU and they already have a game under their belts, this is the opener for UNH. And, it's on the road.
#2 UMass (1-0) @ #44 Colgate (1-0) --For UMass, this is a classic "sandwich" game for the Minutemen. After their tough opener against Holy Cross, there's this game, then 2 CAA games and the Boston College tilt. Both are coming off difficult openers, I'm certain the Raiders have had this one circled for a loooong time. This is a statement game for Colgate. We'll see if that statement is punctuated with a period or an exclamation point.
#9 Furman (1-0) @ Hofstra (0-0) --This game looks like a mismatch. But let's take a stroll through recent history, shall we? Hofstra went down to Greenville, SC and defeated Furman 31-24 in the 1st Round of the 2000 playoffs. In 2005, they travelled again to Greenville and lost to FU in 2OT's 44-41. Hofstra returns 17 starters (2 all-CAA LB's and an All-American placekicker) from a team that did finish 2-9 last season, but their 8 FCS losses were by a combined 50 points (only 2 losses were by more than 7 points). Since 1983, Hofstra is 22-2 in season openers, and 20-4 in home openers. The Paladins may very well win this game, but they'll have earned it if they do.
#15 Hampton (0-0) @ Howard (0-0) --Season opener for both teams. But looking through the MEAC preseason guides, I can't quite figure something out: Howard places 4 on the all-MEAC defense, and 2 on offense (6 total all-conference selections), yet are picked to finish 8th in the MEAC? Only one team placed more on the all-MEAC squads: Hampton, with 7 selections.
I haven't done this before, but due to lack of compelling games, I'm wrapping all these up into one, I look for the sum of these games to be upsets: #8 Northern Iowa @ Iowa St, #11 Southern Illinois @ Northern Illinois, #22 Cal-Poly @ Idaho.

The definition of MEAC in the dictionary: Land of great athletes and crappy football. xlolx xeyebrowx

HIU 93
September 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Howard is much improved in terms of talent, but they have a new coach and are largely unproven. I'll be there. We beat them 41-7 last year, but we have struggled in recent years in DC. It should be interesting, but I still see us winning, 31-10.

mcveyrl
September 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
#5 New Hampshire (0-0) @ #10 James Madison (0-1) --the only storyline needed to pique my interest in this matchup is this: UNH backup QB Hank Hendricks has been charged with Murder. This is a distraction of sad proportions, right as the team would be leaving NH for Harrisburg. Plus, it's the home opener for JMU and they already have a game under their belts, this is the opener for UNH. And, it's on the road.

I'm not sure how much of a distraction that will be. Does anyone know the exact timeline of events? My guess is that the team knew something might be going on before this broke. But, I hope you're right about the distraction.

Anyway, if UNH goes to Harrisburg, they will be arriving in the wrong town and the wrong state. JMU is in Harrisonburg, VA. Harrisburg (at least the most popular one) is in Penn. Yea, I'm a smart a$$

HIU 93
September 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
The definition of MEAC in the dictionary: Land of great athletes and crappy football. xlolx xeyebrowx

I see we play such crappy football that Montana refuses to schedule us. If you going to sing it, the bring it to Armstrong and see what you can do. If not, then you are, as our band plays so well, "Talking out the Side of Your Neck"!xasswhipx

mikebigg
September 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Peep the score board early Saturday afternoon to see how my GMEN are doing against Pitt. It's show and tell time but man, if we somehow pulled this one off. Not as big nationally as App St beating #5 (well previously) Michigan, but another notch for us FCS folk.

In the SWAC... A big game between SU and MSVU who surprised pre-season Western Division favorite Ark Pine Bluff. MSVU has former Toledo Defensive Line Coach Dennis "Dirt" Winston as defensive coord. Gonna be a good one in Chicago!

AZGrizFan
September 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I see we play such crappy football that Montana refuses to schedule us. If you going to sing it, the bring it to Armstrong and see what you can do. If not, then you are, as our band plays so well, "Talking out the Side of Your Neck"!xasswhipx

12 minutes. You're gettin' slow, old man. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

Actually, we WERE going to schedule Hampton, but wanted to improve our SOS, so we went with Fort Lewis this weekend instead. ;)

ysubigred
September 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
This should be a 6th. It's not being talked about much but;

YSU vs SDSU has to be a game of intrest. "IF" the JR's can get it done at the Ice Castle YSU will have to be perfect in the GFC. Two OOC loss's and a DII on the schedule will not look good to start the season.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I hope Colgate is both hungry and good enough to handle that "sandwich game". Go Red Raiders!!!

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Upsets over FBS teams usually come from ranked FCS teams. These games are the ones I am keeping an eye on.

JohnStOnge
September 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'm interested in Central Arkansas vs. Northwestern State. Central Arkansas lost 28-7 at Louisiana Tech last week but the Bears had 6 turnovers. They outgained the Bulldogs 386 - 261 and had a 28 - 13 edge in first downs. One McNeese guy was at the game and said the stats were a little deceptive because Tech had the short field so much. Still...Central Arkansas obviously was able to move the football.

It'll just be interesting to see what happens when UCA plays its first conference game at Northwestern State.

BigApp
September 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Anyway, if UNH goes to Harrisburg, they will be arriving in the wrong town and the wrong state. JMU is in Harrisonburg, VA. Harrisburg (at least the most popular one) is in Penn. Yea, I'm a smart a$$

didn't you get the memo? it's a neutral site game! xsmiley_wix xoopsx xsmiley_wix

(fixed it, apologies for the slight)

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Colgate is always a hard game for UMass. Should be interesting

appfan2008
September 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
they all have potential to be upsets

Death Dealer
September 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Hofstra makes me always makes me nervous. If we win by 30 or 3, I don't care, as long as we win, and get the he!! outta L.I.

Big Dawg
September 8th, 2007, 01:24 AM

Quit it...

Big Dawg
September 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM
[/B].

[/LIST]

Actually FAMU had 9 total and we're picked to finish 5th.

Also the DSU vs FAMU game in Tallahassee is one to watch.

BigApp
September 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Actually FAMU had 9 total and we're picked to finish 5th.

does that make sense to you?

citdog
September 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
does that make sense to you?

no

HofstraFB
September 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM

One thing that worries me about Hofstra. They are 8-30 when scoring less than 30 pts per game (saw that stat on ESPN.com) They can only win shootouts. I dont see this game being a shootout.

JALMOND
September 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM
A few good games out west. Cal Poly @ Idaho should be a good one, a good test for the Stangs as they catch the Vandals right after playing USC. Northern Arizona @ Arizona also, as the Jacks move up to the Pac-10 and play instate. Also, within FCS, UC-Davis @ Portland State as both teams saw playoff dreams dashed in the first week and both need a win to get back on track.

Good football is played out west, as long as you look beyond the Griz and see others. Montana is not the only team out here.

HIU 93
September 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
12 minutes. You're gettin' slow, old man. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx ;)

Actually, we WERE going to schedule Hampton, but wanted to improve our SOS, so we went with Fort Lewis this weekend instead. ;)

Well good luck with your D-II opponent, or are they NAIA? Great for your SOS.xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

skinny_uncle
September 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM

#5 New Hampshire (0-0) @ #10 James Madison (0-1) --the only storyline needed to pique my interest in this matchup is this: UNH backup QB Hank Hendricks has been charged with Murder. This is a distraction of sad proportions, right as the team would be leaving NH for Harrisonburg. Plus, it's the home opener for JMU and they already have a game under their belts, this is the opener for UNH. And, it's on the road.

Good call on #5

BigApp
September 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
3-2 (with a close call) not too shabby!xbeerchugx xsmileyclapx xbeerchugx

#5 New Hampshire-24 @ #10 James Madison-41
#2 UMass35 @ #44 Colgate-17
#9 Furman-17 @ Hofstra-32
#15 Hampton-31 @ Howard-24 ooohhh so close!
#8 Northern Iowa-24 @ Iowa St-13, #11 Southern Illinois-34 @ Northern Illinois-31, #22 Cal-Poly-13 @ Idaho-20 (hey 2 outta 3 here!)

th0m
September 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah all your selected games were very good games and exciting (save for the UMass game perhaps?) Good selection beforehand BigApp. I'll be keeping an eye out for your thread for this upcoming weekend.

BigApp
September 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah all your selected games were very good games and exciting (save for the UMass game perhaps?) Good selection beforehand BigApp. I'll be keeping an eye out for your thread for this upcoming weekend.

thanks th0m!! xthumbsupx