View Full Version : 2021 Fall Quarterfinal: #7 East Tennessee State @ #2 North Dakota State

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 05:19 PM
These 2 have a regular season home/home scheduled starting in 2024 but they'll get a head start on that this week. Kick off at 11AM CT on Saturday 12/11. It will be nationally televised on ESPN.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51727977027_2bd095abd6_z.jpg

JacksFan40
December 4th, 2021, 05:25 PM
ETSU had a great comeback against KSU, but if they dig themselves that big of a hole against NDSU they won’t be climbing out of it. ETSU will have to play flawless to win this.

JSUSoutherner
December 4th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Am I the only one a little disappointed that this thread won't be a HOF-Caliber pissing match between Hooty and the Bison fans?

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Am I the only one a little disappointed that this thread won't be a HOF-Caliber pissing match between Hooty and the Bison fans?

No, I’ve been wanting that since the bracket was announced.

CPMPride
December 4th, 2021, 05:47 PM

Nope, me too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2021, 05:48 PM
I believe ETSU can be a thorn in NDSU's side of 4 quarters. They have that "it" quality imo....

bonarae
December 4th, 2021, 05:58 PM
NDSU will keep the game close, if the flu-stricken players will play. ETSU is hungry for its first national semifinal, though.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2021, 06:15 PM
NDSU will keep the game close, if the flu-stricken players will play. ETSU is hungry for its first national semifinal, though.After seeing how NDSU played without it's best WR, by a country mile, best LB, and a mediocre passing game, at best (but passing was not required by NDSU today), this game could get ugly real quick like it did against SIU.

A healthy Watson is damn near unstoppable and with the way NDSU has been running the ball since Roehl/Entz pulled their heads out of their asses and reinserted Cam Miller and made TaMerik the bellcow back, I see this being a 34-17 game.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 06:27 PM
FUBeAR voted for ETSU in the poll, but he lied. No way ETSU wins in the FargoDome in the Playoffs. Nobody does.

This game was over when the bracket was released.

Just hope that Holmes & Saylors get opportunities to demonstrate their fine abilities as RB’s and the Bucs keep it respectable.

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Golden Buffalo by 38

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 06:45 PM

No

We need a drunk swashbuckling raping pillaging plundering his weaselly black guts out Buccaneer fan to step up

NDSU1980
December 4th, 2021, 06:45 PM
I'm guessing even POD Knows will vote for NDSU to win this one. He sorta missed on the SIU game.

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 06:53 PM
I'm guessing even POD Knows will vote for NDSU to win this one. He sorta missed on the SIU game.

Doubt it.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Yes. I am completely bummed out. The ETSU fans seem to be a class act. We can’t have that around here. Not a slight to ETSU but this needed to be the Owls in Fargo for so many reasons.

bonarae
December 4th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Yes. I am completely bummed out. The ETSU fans seem to be a class act. We can’t have that around here. Not a slight to ETSU but this needed to be the Owls in Fargo for so many reasons.

Why the Owls? For just the trash-talkers on this board?

Anyway, ETSU will give the Bison a game. xpeacex NDSU is just too playoff experienced for ETSU to upset them.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2021, 06:56 PM
FUBeAR voted for ETSU in the poll, but he lied. No way ETSU wins in the FargoDome in the Playoffs. Nobody does.

This game was over when the bracket was released.

Just hope that Holmes & Saylors get opportunities to demonstrate their fine abilities as RB’s and the Bucs keep it respectable.
We got players dropping like flies up here. Lost a starting tight end today. Freaking hamstring for our best receiver, flu all over the place.

I would be surprised if we can even field a competitive team.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2021, 06:59 PM
We gonna even have 22 players to field a team? Get a bye week and come back with the most injuries to key players we have had all year.

ETSU carries the momentum toward and gets the W 28 to 21 #BOOKIT.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2021, 07:01 PM
Why the Owls? For just the trash-talkers on this board?

Anyway, ETSU will give the Bison a game. xpeacex NDSU is just too playoff experienced for ETSU to upset them.
Yea. Mostly the trash talk and run heavy teams like KSU will struggle up here. I don’t like close games in the playoffs. We get enough of those in conference play.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Looks like they'll make the decisions on kickoff times for next week public in about 90 minutes:

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1467272609192681473

Guessing that means that Sac St/SDSU vs Nova isn't going to be a national game. Going to guess that Montana/JMU gest the Friday night slot and ETSU/NDSU gets the Saturday 11AM spot. It would be up to SHSU on whether they want to play Friday or Saturday vs Montana St since that game would be streaming only.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2021, 07:35 PM
New team coming to the FD.

Has ETSU defended A-gap power/west coast power team? I probably doubt it. Good luck.

This game will be like the game today but I'm sure there will be plenty of other teams fans and some of our own saying "oh, they will come in and give the Bison a 4 quarter game it will go down to the end"......ya, ok.....

Bison by multiple TDs.

bonarae
December 4th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Has ETSU defended A-gap power/west coast power team? I probably doubt it. Good luck.

ETSU doesn't have much experience against teams west of the Mississippi River.

CobbFC09
December 4th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Have to imagine this will be the noon ET network TV game on Saturday. I'll be rooting for ETSU, so here's to hoping they can score a TD or two.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 10:06 PM
This game gets the 11AM CT Saturday slot on ESPN.

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1467342716749164544

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 10:38 PM
We got players dropping like flies up here. Lost a starting tight end today. Freaking hamstring for our best receiver, flu all over the place.

I would be surprised if we can even field a competitive team.On behalf of ETSU & the SoCon, FUBeAR accepts NDSU’s forfeit.

Congrats & onward to Missoula, Bucs Fans!

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2021, 10:45 PM
This game gets the 11AM CT Saturday slot on ESPN.

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1467342716749164544Going to be a fun early tailgate.

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 10:45 PM

This game will be like the game today but I'm sure there will be plenty of other teams fans and some of our own saying "oh, they will come in and give the Bison a 4 quarter game it will go down to the end"......ya, ok.....

Bison by multiple TDs.Nah…Mercer used to run B-C Gap Power (and Power O) to death…until they went all spread, got their HC fired…and now run a hybrid wing-T-based O, but no real Power scheme. Furman used to run it a good bit too…even ‘stole’ and started running a good bit of A-Gap Power after NDSU hammered them with it in 2013 (I think it was 2013), but Coaching change since there too and no real Power schemes.

So…all-in-all, nah…the Bucs ain’t seen much Power & probably 0 A-Gap Power.

bonarae
December 5th, 2021, 03:53 AM
ETSU doesn't have much experience against teams west of the Mississippi River.

Backed by facts (from ETSU Record Book (https://www.etsubucs.com/football/records/)):

Louisiana Tech, 4 games from 1969 until 1992 (3 consecutive Ls for the Bucs, 1980 and 1981, 1992)
Montana - 1 playoff game in 1996 (44-14 L)
Montana State - 1 regular season game in 2015 (63-7 L)
UTEP - 1 game in 1975 (6-3 L)
Tulsa - 1 game in 1995 (45-20 L)

Still yearning to have ETSU play teams from the PFL, PL or Ivy Leagues.

WeAreThePride
December 5th, 2021, 05:02 AM
That huge Tight End that won the final drive looks like a problem. I can see ETSU throwing his way 10 times in this game.

mvemjsunpx
December 5th, 2021, 05:20 AM
The Bison should win this game without much trouble. If they can't put the Bucs away, though, watch out. ETSU is probably the best team in the nation at pulling out close games.

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2021, 06:18 AM
ETSU had a great comeback against KSU, but if they dig themselves that big of a hole against NDSU they won’t be climbing out of it. ETSU will have to play flawless to win this.

Jacks I tried to follow that game on here last evening. Did I read someones post right that East Tenn came back from 14 down with 5 minutes left?? It was Owls 31-17 and someone said they had 5 minutes!

wcugrad95
December 5th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Agree with that. NDSU may very well win by multiple scores, but they need to get up big early because the Bucs have a crazy way to make games close. And if they have a chance in the 4th quarter, things like we saw yesterday seem to be typical for them the last 3 or so seasons. Hopefully ETSU doesn’t forget they have a talented RB (and a very good backup) and they give the ball to Holmes. They need to live and die by feeding him and sprinkling in passes to that TE to keep this respectable, but it is obviously a tall hill to climb traveling to Fargo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2021, 06:45 AM
NDSU more than likely will not be in a position to have to defend an onside kick with a minute left in the game....xcoffeex

Watching ETSU highlights, NDSU matchups up well against this team. Offense kind of looks like NDSU. They have a FB at times and do play action out of it and also do shotgun with pass/run out of it with motion. OL looks slow. Two big tackles then short light guys in the middle. Not a good recipe against the Bison DL.

Looks like a 3-4 defense with some 4 man fronts.

Here is where NDSU is going to have a huge advantage.

ETSU DL: 250-260-275
ETS LBs: 220-220-230-230

Bison should be able to run against this team with a light front 7.

ETSUfan1
December 5th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Backed by facts (from ETSU Record Book (https://www.etsubucs.com/football/records/)):

Louisiana Tech, 4 games from 1969 until 1992 (3 consecutive Ls for the Bucs, 1980 and 1981, 1992)
Montana - 1 playoff game in 1996 (44-14 L)
Montana State - 1 regular season game in 2015 (63-7 L)
UTEP - 1 game in 1975 (6-3 L)
Tulsa - 1 game in 1995 (45-20 L)

Still yearning to have ETSU play teams from the PFL, PL or Ivy Leagues.

We also played Colorado State in 2000 I believe.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2021, 10:16 AM
Looking thru ETSU's roster, Joe Schreiber #62 starting is college career at NDSU.

Football | Roster | Official Site of East Tennessee State Athletics (etsubucs.com) (https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11733/joe-schreiber/)

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 10:24 AM

Bison by multiple TDs.

This game will be over by halftime. ETSU getting their Fargo Dome initiation.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2021, 10:26 AM
Looking thru ETSU's roster, Joe Schreiber #62 starting is college career at NDSU.

Football | Roster | Official Site of East Tennessee State Athletics (etsubucs.com) (https://www.etsubucs.com/football/roster/2021-22/11733/joe-schreiber/)Starting Center

https://cdn.streamlinehosting.net/etsubucs/26448626-08B3-4485-B499-56C0E1909512/Week%2012%20-%20Kennesaw%20State.pdf

Maybe he can get the Buc’s D schooled up on A-Gap Power schemes & variations.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2021, 10:35 AM
This game will be over by halftime. ETSU getting their Fargo Dome initiation.
Nope - the game was over when the Playoff Committee created the brackets.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Starting Center

https://cdn.streamlinehosting.net/etsubucs/26448626-08B3-4485-B499-56C0E1909512/Week%2012%20-%20Kennesaw%20State.pdf

Maybe he can get the Buc’s D schooled up on A-Gap Power schemes & variations.

Like most teams that have not played NDSU before, they will probably have 7-8-9 guys close to the LOS to slow down the power run game with more bodies to block. If they come out in base 3-4 with such a small front 7, they will be worn down pretty quick. 3-4 defenses have given NDSU some trouble in the past but mostly Valley teams that know NDSU pretty well.

To beat the Bison you either "out NDSU" the Bison with ground control gun game or try to make it a track meet. I'm trying to remember if a "track meet of a game" has actually worked....

Honestly, for ETSU to win the Bison have to have multiple turnovers and not play well.

dewey
December 5th, 2021, 10:38 AM
The Bison should win this game without much trouble. If they can't put the Bucs away, though, watch out. ETSU is probably the best team in the nation at pulling out close games.

Sam Houston State is the king when it comes to winning close games. See their last 5 playoff games.

Dewey

dewey
December 5th, 2021, 10:40 AM
Jacks I tried to follow that game on here last evening. Did I read someones post right that East Tenn came back from 17 down with 5 minutes left?? It was Owls 31-14 and someone said they had 5 minutes!

Not exactly. According to the ESPN box score Kennesaw State got a field goal with 502 to go in the 4th quarter to go up 31-17.

Dewey

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2021, 10:40 AM

Nope. His posting today was worth the price of a ticket just to read it. Classic AGS HOF posting if there ever was any!

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Sam Houston State is the king when it comes to winning close games. See their last 5 playoff games.

Dewey

My cardiac health is not the better for it, for sure.

dewey
December 5th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Like most teams that have not played NDSU before, they will probably have 7-8-9 guys close to the LOS to slow down the power run game with more bodies to block. If they come out in base 3-4 with such a small front 7, they will be worn down pretty quick. 3-4 defenses have given NDSU some trouble in the past but mostly Valley teams that know NDSU pretty well.

To beat the Bison you either "out NDSU" the Bison with ground control gun game or try to make it a track meet. I'm trying to remember if a "track meet of a game" has actually worked....

Honestly, for ETSU to win the Bison have to have multiple turnovers and not play well.

From what I remember.....back in 2016 Charleston Southern gave NDSU all they could handle because their defense would "cut" the offensive line to create a pile. It was very effective and really caused NDSU problems.

I am really interested in hearing about Gindorff (big time TE) and Watson (future NFL receiver) in terms of their injuries.

Dewey

dewey
December 5th, 2021, 10:45 AM

If the doctor ever suggests you get a cardiac stress test you can laugh in his/her face and tell them you are a SHSU fan. You should be hood then.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2021, 10:45 AM

Hey DT, having issues getting on Kats site, don’t let my friends on their call me a no show

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Hey DT, having issues getting on Kats site, don’t let my friends on their call me a no show

Sure. what is the issue and I can see if they can fix it?

MSUBobcat
December 5th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Far from it, I suspect.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 12:29 PM
If the doctor ever suggests you get a cardiac stress test you can laugh in his/her face and tell them you are a SHSU fan. You should be hood then.

Dewey

Truth!

WeAreThePride
December 5th, 2021, 01:52 PM

The great example of making it a track meet was when Eastern Washington came here in 2016. We ran a retarded 3-3-5 defense most of the game, and won in overtime because Cooper Kupp (now one of the great NFL receivers) got hurt around halftime.

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2021, 02:55 PM
We also played Colorado State in 2000 I believe.

Hey this PL would love to visit TriCities. Never have before. Closest I have been is Asheville and Knoxville! Johnson City here the Leopards would come! BTW congrats on a storied comeback. Nice to see a new name in quarterfinals!

Chalupa Batman
December 5th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Jacks I tried to follow that game on here last evening. Did I read someones post right that East Tenn came back from 17 down with 5 minutes left?? It was Owls 31-14 and someone said they had 5 minutes!

No that is incorrect, ETSU was down 31-17 with about 5 minutes left.

Sam Houston led Incarnate Word 31-14 late in the 1st half and the Cardinals did take a 35-34 lead at the beginning of the 4th quarter, so maybe that's where you got that score from.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 5th, 2021, 04:08 PM

I agree with that statement. NDSU had what, a 29-1 playoff record in Fargo. They're no joke and I hope ETSU does not treat this game like one either (something tells me ETSU won't either).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 5th, 2021, 04:09 PM

Me too, was hoping to get tickets to the NDSU bandwagon if the Bucs lost yesterday.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 5th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Hey this PL would love to visit TriCities. Never have before. Closest I have been is Asheville and Knoxville! Johnson City here the Leopards would come! BTW congrats on a storied comeback. Nice to see a new name in quarterfinals!

ETSU was there in 1996 as we faced Montana who beat the daylights out of us. Montana would then burninate Troy State in the semis and get woodshedded by Marshall in the title game. Thank you for the kind words.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 5th, 2021, 04:44 PM

I wish I attended a NASCAR race at Bristol back in the 90s when that place was simply a sports fan bucket list event. The drive on I-81 from Winchester, Va to Knoxville, TN is fantastic! Easily one of the nicest highway cruises on the East Coast. I'd love for Lehigh to do a h&h with Western Carolina, VMI (again) or ETSU! Likewise, Temple needs to make a trip to Boone! Heck, I'd love to see Lehigh schedule a game with App State!

The Roanoke/Blacksburg/Christiansburg area is great too! Beautiful mountain vistas, all 4 seasons without brutal heat or frigid cold. I'd live there.....

As a golf fan, the Cashiers, NC area has blown up big time the last 10-15 years! A truly hidden golf destination!

I really think ETSU will show themselves well against NDSU. The Bison might end up winning by 17-21 points but they'll work for it....

Did you make it to Fargo when Lafayette played NDSU in 2011? I was there in 2011 but not for the Lehigh game; YSU in early November because I was ironically visiting the U of North Dakota. I was out there in 2019 for their game against South Dakota and for a meeting at the university.. Love Eastern ND too!

mvemjsunpx
December 5th, 2021, 04:49 PM

Dewey

I was thinking more this season. Sam Houston has only had 2 close games this year.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Well, since Who-teee is still imagining that KSU is better than ETSU and, really (in hoootease personal truth), won the game…we could all just play along with his imaginary win and make this thread about the epic KSU @ NDSU matchup that Hoooooteee endlessly fantasizes about.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 5th, 2021, 05:11 PM

Bison by multiple TDs.

I can only harken back to 2007 when no one and I mean NO ONE, thought that Michigan was going to lose to Appalachian State. But App State showed up and shocked the entire football world one September afternoon. Show of hands, how many of you in 2007 thought Michigan was going to lose to App State?

ETSU came a very long way from when it was restarted several years ago and made a very astute hire in Randy Sanders in 2017. Sanders brought the vision, mindset, energy and discipline to a football team that was lacking in all of the above. He did have two FBS nattys to his name as an assistant and he had a Big Brother pedigree. Big Brother, mind you, was and still is one of the winningest football programs on the FBS level.

I remember seeing an article on who the winningest programs were in the FCS level and among them was North Dakota State. That by itself is why I consider North Dakota State to be FCS royalty. They may have shown a decade and half ago but after they got established, they won natty after natty until the cows came home, got milked and put out to pasture. Yes, Sam Houston and JMU got lucky one year here or there but NDSU is to FCS what Bammerland is to FBS.

I think this will be a measuring stick as to how far ETSU has come against one of the nation's best.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 5th, 2021, 05:21 PM
I can only harken back to 2007 when no one and I mean NO ONE, thought that Michigan was going to lose to Appalachian State. But App State showed up and shocked the entire football world one September afternoon. Show of hands, how many of you in 2007 thought Michigan was going to lose to App State?

ETSU came a very long way from when it was restarted several years ago and made a very astute hire in Randy Sanders in 2017. Sanders brought the vision, mindset, energy and discipline to a football team that was lacking in all of the above. He did have two FBS nattys to his name as an assistant and he had a Big Brother pedigree. Big Brother, mind you, was and still is one of the winningest football programs on the FBS level.

I remember seeing an article on who the winningest programs were in the FCS level and among them was North Dakota State. That by itself is why I consider North Dakota State to be FCS royalty. They may have shown a decade and half ago but after they got established, they won natty after natty until the cows came home, got milked and put out to pasture. Yes, Sam Houston and JMU got lucky one year here or there but NDSU is to FCS what Bammerland is to FBS.

I think this will be a measuring stick as to how far ETSU has come against one of the nation's best.

ETSU is a school with some resources so long as the red tape/politics allow some flexibility. I found it pretty cool that TN had two high quality public FCS football teams this year. Tiny UTM (would be a D2 school in a lot of states) beat Missouri State then played FCS heavyweight Montana State tough for 4 quarters. I believe ETSU has a legitimately high ceiling in FCS so long as the right people remain in place or are properly replaced. It's made more possible by the fact Chattanooga remains one of FCS's great enigmas. Much of what I said could be applied to the Mocs although ETSU is a bit bigger (bit more reach) and imo located in a nicer area. Although Chattanooga is pretty cool....

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2021, 05:34 PM

I tuned into that App State Michigan game with great eagerness to see how they would hold up and thinking they could make it a game, but to say I thought Michigan would lose would be a lie

POD Knows
December 5th, 2021, 05:45 PM

I wouldn’t say that both JMU and SHSU got lucky and won nattys. Truth be told, they were both better teams than NDSU the years they beat us

i am looking to the home and home with ETSU starting in 2024. If we are still around then.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 5th, 2021, 05:49 PM
and I saw this on Twitter (don't know if that is true or not), but...

https://twitter.com/matthewfraase/status/1467572681990197252?s=20

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2021, 05:50 PM
I wouldn’t say that both JMU and SHSU got lucky and won nattys. Truth be told, they were both better teams than NDSU the years they beat us

i am looking to the home and home with ETSU starting in 2024. If we are still around then.

Yeah....the 2016 Bison were pretty banged up by the playoffs and the spring season was hot garbage. NDSU will still be FCS in 2024....nowhere to go.

dewey
December 5th, 2021, 06:08 PM

Agreed. The JMU and SHSU wins in the playoffs against NDSU were not flukes. Those 2 teams were better.

Dewey

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2021, 06:25 PM
and I saw this on Twitter (don't know if that is true or not), but...

https://twitter.com/matthewfraase/status/1467572681990197252?s=20
https://twitter.com/matthewfraase/status/1467572681990197252

ElCid
December 5th, 2021, 06:49 PM
I wish I attended a NASCAR race at Bristol back in the 90s when that place was simply a sports fan bucket list event. The drive on I-81 from Winchester, Va to Knoxville, TN is fantastic! Easily one of the nicest highway cruises on the East Coast. I'd love for Lehigh to do a h&h with Western Carolina, VMI (again) or ETSU! Likewise, Temple needs to make a trip to Boone! Heck, I'd love to see Lehigh schedule a game with App State!

The Roanoke/Blacksburg/Christiansburg area is great too! Beautiful mountain vistas, all 4 seasons without brutal heat or frigid cold. I'd live there.....

As a golf fan, the Cashiers, NC area has blown up big time the last 10-15 years! A truly hidden golf destination!

I really think ETSU will show themselves well against NDSU. The Bison might end up winning by 17-21 points but they'll work for it....

Did you make it to Fargo when Lafayette played NDSU in 2011? I was there in 2011 but not for the Lehigh game; YSU in early November because I was ironically visiting the U of North Dakota. I was out there in 2019 for their game against South Dakota and for a meeting at the university.. Love Eastern ND too!

Good God. You been on I-81 lately? Way too crowded especially with trucks. Pretty yes when aren't trying to dodge traffic. A lot of folks use it going south instead of I-95. I know we did making the trek from Jersey to Charleston back in the 80s going to school. I used to do it often the last 10 years visiting my folks outside Staunton, I-26 through Asheville to I-81. The drive over the mountain to Tenn is gorgeous.

Cashier's is about 15 mile's from my house. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a golf course there. I take my dad on drives out highway 64 quite often.

But to get back to the game, ETSU may do better than folks believe. Not that I am predicting a victory, but they find opportunities and are well coached. I don't think that their "misuse" of Holmes was necessarily some big goof. When you keep played your main trick, they become less effective. KSUs D was keying in on him and was somewhat effective slowing him. They went to passing to him and it worked a couple times until it didn't and then they tried forcing it to him a couple times and wasted a series because of it. If they just kept the play calling creative and unpredictable, they would have gotten better results but they became horribly predictable, at least until their epic come back.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2021, 07:05 PM

I thought App could beat them. That was a great App team. Upper level FCS can compete a beat good FBS teams on a one game basis.

ysubigred
December 5th, 2021, 07:12 PM
I thought App could beat them. That was a great App team. Upper level FCS can compete a beat good FBS teams on a one game basis.My son in-law is a die hard Kentucky fan. He was here while NDSU and SIU was on.. ask if NDSU was any good... my response was I bet if their team bus pulled up in front of Kroger stadium some Wildcats might be ****ting their pants.. LOL.. he won't ask stupid questions anymore [emoji106]

Daytripper
December 5th, 2021, 07:14 PM

That's the beauty of the fcs playoffs. You have to win a minimum of 4 games against good teams. Luck may get you one of them, but most teams that get the chip deserve it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 5th, 2021, 07:14 PM
Good God. You been on I-81 lately? Way too crowded especially with trucks. Pretty yes when aren't trying to dodge traffic. A lot of folks use it going south instead of I-95. I know we did making the trek from Jersey to Charleston back in the 80s going to school. I used to do it often the last 10 years visiting my folks outside Staunton, I-26 through Asheville to I-81. The drive over the mountain to Tenn is gorgeous.

Cashier's is about 15 mile's from my house. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a golf course there. I take my dad on drives out highway 64 quite often.

But to get back to the game, ETSU may do better than folks believe. Not that I am predicting a victory, but they find opportunities and are well coached. I don't think that their "misuse" of Holmes was necessarily some big goof. When you keep played your main trick, they become less effective. KSUs D was keying in on him and was somewhat effective slowing him. They went to passing to him and it worked a couple times until it didn't and then they tried forcing it to him a couple times and wasted a series because of it. If they just kept the play calling creative and unpredictable, they would have gotten better results but they became horribly predictable, at least until their epic come back.

I live about 10 minutes from 81; driven it a ton from the Canadian border (Thousand Islands) to the Roanoke area (especially Harrisburg to Syracuse) over the years. There's definitely some "less than ideal" spots but it still beats the worst portions of 95 and 80 imo. Truly "relaxing" driving doesn't exist until I get west of Chicago; or so it seems....

Hopefully ETSU fans make the trek to Fargo (by land or air)! It's worth it even if your team loses! As of now the weather in the Red River Valley next weekend looks "reasonable".

ElCid
December 5th, 2021, 07:23 PM
I live about 10 minutes from 81; driven it a ton from the Canadian border (Thousand Islands) to the Roanoke area (especially Harrisburg to Syracuse) over the years. There's definitely some "less than ideal" spots but it still beats the worst portions of 95 and 80 imo. Truly "relaxing" driving doesn't exist until I get west of Chicago; or so it seems....

Hopefully ETSU fans make the trek to Fargo (by land or air)! It's worth it even if your team loses! As of now the weather in the Red River Valley next weekend looks "reasonable".

I think if we ever play NDSU I will make the trek because I want to do a game there and also to meet as many of the NDSU fans from here who might be there. Not sure we will ever schedule a game with them minus a playoff game. But maybe a H&H one day.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2021, 07:53 PM
I don't think that their "misuse" of Holmes was necessarily some big goof. When you keep played your main trick, they become less effective. KSUs D was keying in on him and was somewhat effective slowing him. They went to passing to him and it worked a couple times until it didn't and then they tried forcing it to him a couple times and wasted a series because of it. If they just kept the play calling creative and unpredictable, they would have gotten better results but they became horribly predictable, at least until their epic come back.
Nah…it was a HUGE “goof”

4 Carries in a row to cap off an 8 play 74 yard TD drive to begin 3rd Quarter…

ETSU AT 15:00

3rd and 2 at ETSU48
Quay Holmes rush for 6 yards

1st and 10 at KSU46
Quay Holmes rush for 14 yards

1st and 10 at KSU32
Quay Holmes rush for 1 yard

2nd and 9 at KSU31
Quay Holmes rush for 31 yards TOUCHDOWN

https://twitter.com/etsufootball/status/1467235346974969860

Then…not 1 more rushing attempt for the rest of the game…NADA! Insanity!

They (and/or) ETSU’s QB did target him again 2x…with 3 minutes elapsed in the 4th quarter…I think this is what you described as “They went to passing to him and it worked a couple times until it didn't and then they tried forcing it to him a couple times and wasted a series because of it.”…but it hadn’t “worked a couple of times”…

He had been on the side of a Milk Carton for the past 15:00 when this happened.

ETSU AT 12:15

1st and 10 at ETSU38
pass incomplete to Quay Holmes

2nd and 10 at ETSU38
pass incomplete to Quay Holmes

…So, they went, essentially, 1 full quarter without even trying to put the ball in his hands. That’s crazy!

Then…the next series, they WISELY went right back to him…thru the air…the 1st 3 below on consecutive plays

ETSU AT 04:59

2nd and 19 at ETSU41
pass complete to Quay Holmes for 5 yards PENALTY KSU

1st and 10 at KSU39
pass complete to Quay Holmes for 4 yards

2nd and 6 at KSU35
pass complete to Quay Holmes for 8 yards

4th and 5 at KSU22
pass complete to Quay Holmes for 10 yards

…and then, finally, and on the next series…for the TD that enabled them to win the game

ETSU AT 01:26

3rd and 0 at KSU04
pass complete to Quay Holmes for 4 yards TOUCHDOWN

Maybe Coach Sanders is such a magician that he ‘tricked’ KSU into (also) forgetting about Holmes during the full quarter that he was being reported to the Johnson City Police as a Missing Person, but I just don’t think KSU’s Players & Coaches are that clueless.

When ETSU decided to put the ball in (or near) Holmes hands, really good things happened 9 of 11 times (82%) in the 2nd half. When they didn’t, they nearly lost a very winnable game.

that guy
December 6th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Does ETSU qualify for southern speed? If they do NDSU is in trouble.

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:26 AM
That's the beauty of the fcs playoffs. You have to win a minimum of 4 games against good teams. Luck may get you one of them, but most teams that get the chip deserve it.
It is literally a third to a half of a season just in the playoffs alone, which is too much in my opinion but that is another conversation. NDSU has had a few fortunate moments in their run for sure.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2021, 08:51 AM
NDSU new secret weapon Kobayashi.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:17 AM
NDSU new secret weapon Kobayashi.
Ha! I lol'd pretty good at that one. If Kobe Johnson is Kobayashi then Tamerik Williams is Joey Chestnut. ;)

For those who weren't there the PA guy in the Farogodome mistakenly said "Kobayashi the ball carrier" for one of NDSU RB Kobe Johnson's carries last Saturday.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 09:26 AM
The NCAA teams stats site finally got updated so I put the team stats comparison in the first post.

Also, NDSU opens as a 23 point favorite with an O/U of 49.5 on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php).

BNATION
December 6th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Does ETSU qualify for southern speed? If they do NDSU is in trouble.

You win the board today.

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU 39-10

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Just heard the MountainPirates are practicing in their Mini-Dome all week

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/41/73/ef4173eb6ac460b666ab60ffbeef9ee4.jpg

….with crowd noise piped in up to 120db

Any help…or nah?

Christiank22
December 6th, 2021, 10:35 AM

Any help…or nah?

Doubt it. Pretty much everyone does this their first time to the dome. I think playing in Fargo in the playoffs is more than just crowd noise. It’s landing in Fargo and feeling the brutal cold and snow hit your face, seeing all the fans tailgating on your way to the stadium, and all the history plastered throughout the building and the banners on the rafters.

And then on top of that you have to play an energized Bison team who is already probably more athletic than you…

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 10:43 AM

Any help…or nah?
Crowd probably won't be as much of a factor as we used to be since there will probably only be about 10-12k of us there but it's still an environment you can't really prepare for if you haven't played there before. The best way to combat the Fargodome crowd is to jump out to a quick start... or let the Bison jump out to a quick start... we tend to quiet down if the home team has a 3+ score lead. :)

ElCid
December 6th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Doubt it. Pretty much everyone does this their first time to the dome. I think playing in Fargo in the playoffs is more than just crowd noise. It’s landing in Fargo and feeling the brutal cold and snow hit your face, seeing all the fans tailgating on your way to the stadium, and all the history plastered throughout the building and the banners on the rafters.

And then on top of that you have to play an energized Bison team who is already probably more athletic than you…

Well, I am NOT sure every team HAS a dome to practice in..... So how does every team do this? And looks like a sunny day, on game day at least, but cold, teens and twenties, but it ain't exactly warm in Johnson City in the winter. I know its gets down to single digits occasionally where I live and they are north of me. It ain't like they are on the coast or in the deep south. I will give you the intimidation factor though to a degree. It is an intimidating place based on history. Your last point is highly subjective. ETSU has some pretty athletic players if you haven't watched then at all. And I'm sure they believe they are just as good and that can go a long way. But what always impressed me when I have watched NDSU play is that they play smart. I haven't seen a lot of boneheaded decisions by players. At least compared to some other teams I've seen. I still think NDSU will probably win. I think by 2-3 scores, but it wouldn't surprise me if ETSU made a game of it, or if they get blown out, just never know.

Christiank22
December 6th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Well, I am NOT sure every team HAS a dome to practice in..... So how does every team do this? And looks like a sunny day, on game day at least, but cold, teens and twenties, but it ain't exactly warm in Johnson City in the winter. I know its gets down to single digits occasionally where I live and they are north of me. It ain't like they are on the coast or in the deep south. I will give you the intimidation factor though to a degree. It is an intimidating place based on history. Your last point is highly subjective. ETSU has some pretty athletic players if you haven't watched then at all. And I'm sure they believe they are just as good and that can go a long way. But what always impressed me when I have watched NDSU play is that they play smart. I haven't seen a lot of boneheaded decisions by players. At least compared to some other teams I've seen. I still think NDSU will probably win. I think by 2-3 scores, but it wouldn't surprise me if ETSU made a game of it, or if they get blown out, just never know.

The fact you called teens and twenties cold is all I’ll have to say about the weather lol

Maybe not every team has a dome but every team does something about pumping crowd noise in, etc.

I’m not saying the other team goes in with the mindset that they’re less athletic, but it doesn’t change the fact that they probably are less athletic and less of a complete team. The point I’m saying is, you can’t prepare well for your first trip to Fargo because a lot of what you need to prepare for is more than just crowd noise.

WeAreThePride
December 6th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Richmond famously advertised that they were running practices in their basketball facility, blasting the noise as loud as it would go, back in the 2015 playoffs.

It didn't help them, and it won't help ETSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2021, 11:42 AM
From the NCAA stats, NDSU has an infinitely better defense compared to ETSU.

ETSU gives up a respectable 143.5 rushing yards/game. That stat is going to be tested hard on Saturday.

Christiank22
December 6th, 2021, 11:45 AM
From the NCAA stats, NDSU has an infinitely better defense compared to ETSU.

ETSU gives up a respectable 143.5 rushing yards/game. That stat is going to be tested hard on Saturday.

If this was week 1-4ish NDSU I would say it’s going to be a close game.

The way the team is playing now, I fully expect to be having a few beers at Labbys by 1

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 11:54 AM
I think ETSU is going to need to control the ball on offense if they're going to have a chance. Looks like their starting d-line goes 245, 275, and 260. That's a little undersized for a 3-4 front. I think NDSU's o-line will lean of them and they'll be worn out by the 2nd half if they're not able to keep the Bison offense off the field.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2021, 12:03 PM

90 % of it is the last sentence, they are superior athletes top to bottom than the teams they play

10 % Boston Garden mystique

apaladin
December 6th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Still not sure ETSU is/was the best team in the SoCon. 5 of 7 conference wins were by one score or less. Certainly not a dominant team but the ball seems to bounce their way a lot. They scored on the last play to beat Furman by 4. Mercer missed a makeable FG to tie at the end are just a couple of examples.

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Still not sure ETSU is/was the best team in the SoCon. 5 of 7 conference wins were by one score or less. Certainly not a dominant team but the ball seems to bounce their way a lot. They scored on the last play to beat Furman by 4. Mercer missed a makeable FG to tie at the end are just a couple of examples.
Don’t disagree with you, but ETSU earned the right to represent as the SoCon Champion by winning those extremely close, hard fought SoCon games.

That said, as you noted, give Mercer, Furman, Chattanooga, VMI, or even Samford (with the right matchup) a week off / 2 weeks to prepare, and a home game against any of the non-seeded Teams in the Playoff Field and, like ETSU, those 5 Teams would have been more likely than not to advance to the Quarterfinals also.

*WCU - With the way they were playing at the end of the season (don’t let the score of their game with ETSU fool you as the outcome of that game was also in doubt until the final minutes), it wouldn’t be a stretch to include the Catamounts on that list of a total of 7 SoCon Teams that more likely than not would have advanced to the Quarterfinals, as ETSU has.

ElCid
December 6th, 2021, 01:27 PM
The fact you called teens and twenties cold is all I’ll have to say about the weather lol

Maybe not every team has a dome but every team does something about pumping crowd noise in, etc.

I’m not saying the other team goes in with the mindset that they’re less athletic, but it doesn’t change the fact that they probably are less athletic and less of a complete team. The point I’m saying is, you can’t prepare well for your first trip to Fargo because a lot of what you need to prepare for is more than just crowd noise.

Teens and twenties is cold relatively speaking to mid fall games, but it really doesn't matter for the game, in a dome, does it? I've been up to ND in Jan when it was -45F and even lower with the wind, it was shocking to work or even be outside, but I'm sure it won't be a big deal for them trotting between buildings and buses. The noise does matter, I get it, but at least it will be a little less shocking for some if they have a taste of what can happen. Every bit helps.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Joe Schreiber, O-Line for ETSU, former Bison, was mentioned in the presser today. How is he doing with ETSU?

Also mentioned 26 year old Jared Folks, first player with 8 years of eligibility.

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Joe Schreiber, O-Line for ETSU, former Bison, was mentioned in the presser today. How is he doing with ETSU?Starting Center all year. No All-SoCon accolades.

Noryan34
December 6th, 2021, 03:42 PM
The great example of making it a track meet was when Eastern Washington came here in 2016. We ran a retarded 3-3-5 defense most of the game, and won in overtime because Cooper Kupp (now one of the great NFL receivers) got hurt around halftime.

That EWU also had Kendrick Bourne. The NE Patriots #1 WR

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2021, 07:01 PM
That EWU also had Kendrick Bourne. The NE Patriots #1 WR
And also Shaq Hill and Nsimba Webster who made 53 man rosters in the NFL after their EWU careers. And none of those guys was their leading receiver that day since that was Stu Stiles (8-169-1) who didn't even get more than a mini-camp look in the NFL I don't think.

POD Knows
December 6th, 2021, 08:28 PM
90 % of it is the last sentence, they are superior athletes top to bottom than the teams they play

10 % Boston Garden mystique
We should have the visiting teams dress in a freaking tent in the parking lot.

BisonFan02
December 6th, 2021, 09:25 PM
We should have the visiting teams dress in a freaking tent in the parking lot.

Put up some curtains at The Turf.

dewey
December 6th, 2021, 10:52 PM
Put up some curtains at The Turf.

Dam dude. They get dressed in the old bathrooms at the turf. Then walk to the dome. I am probably dating myself with that old bathroom comment.

Dewey

Houndawg
December 7th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Teens and twenties is cold relatively speaking to mid fall games, but it really doesn't matter for the game, in a dome, does it? I've been up to ND in Jan when it was -45F and even lower with the wind, it was shocking to work or even be outside, but I'm sure it won't be a big deal for them trotting between buildings and buses. The noise does matter, I get it, but at least it will be a little less shocking for some if they have a taste of what can happen. Every bit helps.

Then you haven't felt a true -45F.

TheKingpin28
December 7th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Dam dude. They get dressed in the old bathrooms at the turf. Then walk to the dome. I am probably dating myself with that old bathroom comment.

DeweyThose bathrooms were well, they existed...

wcugrad95
December 7th, 2021, 07:28 AM
On Saturday, I see a high of 27 and a low of 21 for Fargo. And obviously this game is in a dome. So what does weather have to do with any of this? The history and crowd and simply playing in a dome can be actual factors - of course on top of how good NDSU’s players are. No idea if ETSU having a chance to prepare in a mini-dome makes any difference at all, but it is at least something they can try and emulate that most FCS teams can’t. I expect the home team to win, but I don’t think it will be because ETSU is scared or not prepared (or cold :)).

The Bucs will be well coached and will be dangerous the longer they can hang around.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2021, 07:33 AM
On Saturday, I see a high of 27 and a low of 21 for Fargo. And obviously this game is in a dome. So what does weather have to do with any of this? The history and crowd and simply playing in a dome can be actual factors - of course on top of how good NDSU’s players are. No idea if ETSU having a chance to prepare in a mini-dome makes any difference at all, but it is at least something they can try and emulate that most FCS teams can’t. I expect the home team to win, but I don’t think it will be because ETSU is scared or not prepared (or cold :)).

The Bucs will be well coached and will be dangerous the longer they can hang around.

Its very loud in the dome

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Dewey

Those bathrooms were well, they existed...

Best thing about the old turf bathrooms was the chicken scratch on the wall that said "flush twice - it's a long way to Grand Forks".

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Best thing about the old turf bathrooms was the chicken scratch on the wall that said "flush twice - it's a long way to Grand Forks".
I wonder if they lost that in the fire.

ElCid
December 7th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Then you haven't felt a true -45F.

Unfortunately I have. I was supposed to be in Grand Forks for 8 hours but got stuck for three days waiting for the temp/wind chill to rise above -45 so some maintenance could be done on a jet I was ferrying out. And all I had was light, relatively speaking, winter clothes, but I did have my long johns. And to think I almost requested to be stationed at the based there. What was I thinking, geez. It wasn't even that cold when I was once in Fairbanks Alaska in winter chasing Bears.

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Didn’t NDSU have to get dressed in a tent at the quarters in SHSU last spring or did I dream that?

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2021, 09:41 AM
32341....C'MON....BIZONZZZZZZZ'S.......DIS GAME OVERAH....WHEN SPOT LIGHTS DIM....AN' ETST.....JUMPS OFF-SIDES.....FIRST THREE PLAYS............BRAWK!

ps....KEEP DUH FAKE........IN POCKET....FO' JMU.....AWK!

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 10:04 AM
32341....C'MON....BIZONZZZZZZZ'S.......DIS GAME OVERAH....WHEN SPOT LIGHTS DIM....AN' ETST.....JUMPS OFF-SIDES.....FIRST THREE PLAYS............BRAWK!

ETSU is pretty good on offense. Their RB and TE are the real deal. It will be closer than people think.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2021, 10:16 AM

The fake against Delaware was priceless.

Herder
December 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM
https://twitter.com/matthewfraase/status/1467572681990197252

I chuckle at NDSU passing offense and total offense stats. A lot of designed 4th Qtr punts in those stats, when cruising by 20. NDSU's passing offense has gotten really solid in the 2nd half of the season. Dorf and Watson out hurts though.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2021, 10:57 AM
I chuckle at NDSU passing offense and total offense stats. A lot of designed 4th Qtr punts in those stats, when cruising by 20. NDSU's passing offense has gotten really solid in the 2nd half of the season. Dorf and Watson out hurts though.

There was an article on NCAA.com that re-ranked the final 8 teams. Dropped the Bison to 3rd because they didn't need to pass that much against SIU.

TheKingpin28
December 7th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Best thing about the old turf bathrooms was the chicken scratch on the wall that said "flush twice - it's a long way to Grand Forks".Now that's funny. I cant tell you the amount of time Nick or Kelsey would find someone in there passed out against the corner by the broken tiles and then laugh.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2021, 11:19 AM
There was an article on NCAA.com that re-ranked the final 8 teams. Dropped the Bison to 3rd because they didn't need to pass that much against SIU.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-12-06/fcs-football-playoffs-re-ranking-remaining-fcs-teams-entering-quarterfinals

As FUBeAR has stated in this thread, he gives ETSU 0% chance of winning on Saturday. The outcome of the game was determined when the brackets were constructed.

That said, he would have the Bucs ranked somewhere from 4-6 on this list.

Been saying they were a Top 5 FCS Team all year, when they they were ranked from low to high teens, most of that time…

…And the thing is, they are barely a gnat’s eyelash better than 3-4 other SoCon Teams and barely 2 gnat’s eyelashes better than 1-2 other SoCon Teams…but….

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/015/878/thatsnoneofmy.jpg

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2021, 01:44 PM
I wonder if they lost that in the fire.
I've been in there a few times since then and the bathrooms are remodeled so the old bathroom graffiti is gone but new stuff is slowly taking over.... it's still cold as hell in there in the winter time. ;)

Didn’t NDSU have to get dressed in a tent at the quarters in SHSU last spring or did I dream that?
Yep... pretty sure that was because they were working on stadium locker room upgrades last spring though. I'm thinking they were building a new home locker room so SHSU got the visitor locker room and the visiting team got tents.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2021, 03:20 PM
ETSU is pretty good on offense. Their RB and TE are the real deal. It will be closer than people think.

No

NDSU covers the spread.

POD Knows
December 7th, 2021, 04:02 PM
No

NDSU covers the spread.
What. 23?

Bison56
December 7th, 2021, 04:15 PM
This will be a 4 point game, a real nail biter.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 04:15 PM
I've been in there a few times since then and the bathrooms are remodeled so the old bathroom graffiti is gone but new stuff is slowly taking over.... it's still cold as hell in there in the winter time. ;)

Yep... pretty sure that was because they were working on stadium locker room upgrades last spring though. I'm thinking they were building a new home locker room so SHSU got the visitor locker room and the visiting team got tents.

Yes. We were remodeling the locker rooms. The Bearkats dressed in a building nearby...not the visitor dressing room. If I am correct the visiting team had dressing rooms in the kinesiology building about a block from the stadium. They dressed there and then were bused to the stadium. They had the option to go back to those dressing rooms at half time but preferred to have tents set up next to the stadium. It wasn't the best look, but we tried to make it as little of a disruption as possible.

It was worth the hassle: https://vimeo.com/602078640

ETSUfan1
December 7th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Holmes in Final 3 for the Walter Payton. I think the North Dakota State fans will be surprised at how legit he is. At least he’s being taken serious nationally.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2021, 04:27 PM
Holmes in Final 3 for the Walter Payton. I think the North Dakota State fans will be surprised at how legit he is. At least he’s being taken serious nationally.

Coach mentioned both your backs in the press conference yesterday.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Lets go POTC ....shock em

once Holmes gets rollin down hill it will be all over for the Bizun

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2021, 05:23 PM

once Holmes gets rollin down hill it will be all over for the BizunWell…if the Bucs are able to stay in the game for more than a quarter, let’s hope that the ETSU Coaching Staff doesn’t forget that Holmes plays for them & not even try to put the ball in his hands for over 15 straight minutes of clock time, as they did last week vs. Kennesaw…as their ESPN Game Summary Win Probability went from 75% to -100% during this “Quay who?” brain-fart period their Coaching Staff had.

Kinda like the old line, “Who’s the only person that ever held Michael Jordan under 20 points?” and the answer is “Dean Smith.”

C’mon Bucs! #FeedYourBeast

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Well…if the Bucs are able to stay in the game for more than a quarter, let’s hope that the ETSU Coaching Staff doesn’t forget that Holmes plays for them & not even try to put the ball in his hands for over 15 straight minutes of clock time, as they did last week vs. Kennesaw…as their ESPN Game Summary Win Probability went from 75% to -100% during this “Quay who?” brain-fart period their Coaching Staff had.

Kinda like the old line, “Who’s the only person that ever held Michael Jordan under 20 points?” and the answer is “Dean Smith.”

Dean Smith! ACC hoops and he owned Lefty

Dean could devise a 4 corners for football and keep ole Jolly Rogers in this game

Daytripper
December 7th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Well…if the Bucs are able to stay in the game for more than a quarter, let’s hope that the ETSU Coaching Staff doesn’t forget that Holmes plays for them & not even try to put the ball in his hands for over 15 straight minutes of clock time, as they did last week vs. Kennesaw…as their ESPN Game Summary Win Probability went from 75% to -100% during this “Quay who?” brain-fart period their Coaching Staff had.

As a kid growing up in the Houston area, I love Olajuwon, but I always wondered what Jordan would have been like on those running Phi Slama Jama teams.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2021, 07:00 PM

once Holmes gets rollin down hill it will be all over for the Bizun

In your Buccaneer ;)

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2021, 07:17 PM
In your Buccaneer ;)Q: What did Quay Holmes say when Coach Sanders asked him here his helmet was?

A: “Over my Buccaneers, dumba$$! Now gimme the damn ball!”

Note: It’s a joke…a pun. FUBeAR is sure #1 would never speak to his Head Coach that way…but he shoulda last Saturday.

WeAreThePride
December 7th, 2021, 07:25 PM
You have some absolute DUDES on your team. I'm not looking forward to seeing that huge tight end of yours breaking free. NDSU has to make this game about the trenches if they want to get a solid lead early. Your quarterback is too clutch expect to coast to a 10 point win. We'll have to slug you in the mouth and do it early, not let you stay in striking range in the fourth quarter.

HootyHoo
December 8th, 2021, 10:00 AM
You have some absolute DUDES on your team. I'm not looking forward to seeing that huge tight end of yours breaking free. NDSU has to make this game about the trenches if they want to get a solid lead early. Your quarterback is too clutch expect to coast to a 10 point win. We'll have to slug you in the mouth and do it early, not let you stay in striking range in the fourth quarter.

I wouldn't worry too much. Holmes is a beast and he will get his. However, KSU made #44 look better than he is by leaving the seams wide open. Shadow holmes, cover the seams, Bison win by 30.

WeAreThePride
December 8th, 2021, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. Holmes is a beast and he will get his. However, KSU made #44 look better than he is by leaving the seams wide open. Shadow holmes, cover the seams, Bison win by 30.
C'mon man. Jealousy and hindsight sandbagging is an ugly look.

HootyHoo
December 8th, 2021, 10:27 AM
C'mon man. Jealousy and hindsight sandbagging is an ugly look.

Just keeping it real. enjoy your bye week.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Holmes reminds me of David Johnson for UNI. UNI used to put Johnson to sleep in games as well.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 10:47 AM
So…the FBS P5 transfer with prior experience as a Starter in the Secondary for a B1G Team; the guy who is KSU’s co-leader in INT’s and just 1 off the lead in Pass Breakups for KSU; the guy who was trying to cover #44 (Atkins) one-on-one on the game winning 2-point conversion…um…made him “look better than he is” by choice, then?

All credit to you Hooooteeee, you have truly turned self-delusion into an art form.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Just keeping it real. enjoy your bye week.Odd word choices coming from someone who is still imagining that KSU is a better Team than ETSU and that the owlets actually won the game last Saturday.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Holmes in Final 3 for the Walter Payton. I think the North Dakota State fans will be surprised at how legit he is. At least he’s being taken serious nationally.I remember how good Tim Flanders, Eric Breitenstein, Terrance West, etc... were against NDSU.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2021, 11:50 AM
That's not to say they weren't good backs, but a great RB vs NDSU's D-Line and I'd choose the D-Line each time.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2021, 01:11 PM
NDSU twitter is on an all out ticket selling blitz for this game. There's a few former players buying tickets for fans and my feed is littered with tweets from NDSU athletics accounts, coaches, and players pleading with fans to buy tickets. Looks like as of now we've got maybe 10-11k tickets sold. Pretty sad it's gotten to this point... the fan base is bored/spoiled and many who used to never miss a game have new priorities now and there's no fans to take their place since most who couldn't get tickets the last 10 years have settled on watching from afar or not watching at all.

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2021, 01:39 PM
That's not to say they weren't good backs, but a great RB vs NDSU's D-Line and I'd choose the D-Line each time.

They were all actually pretty good against us (not so much Flanders the 2nd time but the 1st game he was). 67 carries for 326 yards combined in 3 games. We did win all those games which is the most important thing. Holmes looks like he may very well be the best back in the country and I expect he'll have some decent success against us. He's also an excellent receiver, I see him having somewhere between 120-150 total yards against us.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 8th, 2021, 02:07 PM

Sour grapes? Care for some Crow-Fil-A?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 8th, 2021, 02:18 PM

Saw that one Tri-Cities area media member posted earlier this week that it would cost 500 round trip airfare from TRI to Fargo. It might have changed since then.

Prime Power
December 8th, 2021, 02:21 PM
NDSU twitter is on an all out ticket selling blitz for this game. There's a few former players buying tickets for fans and my feed is littered with tweets from NDSU athletics accounts, coaches, and players pleading with fans to buy tickets. Looks like as of now we've got maybe 10-11k tickets sold. Pretty sad it's gotten to this point... the fan base is bored/spoiled and many who used to never miss a game have new priorities now and there's no fans to take their place since most who couldn't get tickets the last 10 years have settled on watching from afar or not watching at all.

Could also be that the tickets are overpriced for the product. Not the team, but everything else. The Sac State tickets were $10 for adults and $5 for kids. At that price I would be going.... I could take my family of 5 for the same price as one endzone ticket.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 02:41 PM
They were all actually pretty good against us (not so much Flanders the 2nd time but the 1st game he was). 67 carries for 326 yards combined in 3 games. We did win all those games which is the most important thing. Holmes looks like he may very well be the best back in the country and I expect he'll have some decent success against us. He's also an excellent receiver, I see him having somewhere between 120-150 total yards against us.

Based on your post, FUBeAR thought you bizuns fans might be interested in some info he compiled & updated for the KennySaw @ ETSU Round 2 thread…and has now updated for this thread (below)…

BOTTOM LINE: Stopping ETSU’s O is not just about containing Holmes’ rushing yards. Most likely, the Bucs’ opponents will need to contain both Holmes AND Jacob Saylors (#8) both Rushing & Receiving. Saylors is also #5 in FCS in KOR avg (29.4), but those yards (646) aren’t included in the info below. In ETSU’s 2 most recent games, Mercer & Kennesaw both ‘tried him,’ but after he returned 4 vs. Mercer for 125 yards with a long of 42 yards & 2 for 50 yards with a long of 35 yards vs. Kennesaw, both opponents began ‘pooching’ their Kickoffs.

—————————————————-

The owlets (now bizuns also) will need to contain Homes AND Saylors…Rushing AND Receiving.

#1 Quay Holmes & #8 Jacob Saylors Combined - 2021 - Rushing/Receiving - Game-by-Game

Opponent
CAR
YDS
AVG
TD
LG

REC
YDS
AVG
TD
LG

TCH
YDS
AVG
TD
LG

Vanderbilt

UVa-Wise

Del. State

Samford

Wofford

The Citadel

Chattanooga

Furman

VMI

WCU

Mercer

Kennesaw

Total

AVG/Game

They average gaining almost 7 yards every time they touch the ball. Only an SEC Defense, along with Mercer’s & Furman’s excellent D’s, have been able to ‘contain’ them to under 6 yards / touch (Kennesaw failed in this quest, allowing Holmes & Saylors to average 6.6 yards/touch). I’ve been reading here about Kennesaw’s outstanding Defense. They will need to be ready for a challenge on Saturday. (They weren’t quite ready enough, it seems)

Also…in a separate post in that thread, FUBeAR mentioned the following [with new updates bracketed]…

Only Mercer, Furman, and Vanderbilt held Holmes and Saylors under 200 yards. [FUBeAR thinks, if NDSU does this, the bizuns will win the game].

So there’s an attainable goal to which the owlets [now bizuns] may aspire.

Of course Mercer & Furman both lost to ETSU on, essentially, the last play of the game. So, maybe shooting for under 150 would be a more useful target [probably not req’d for the bizuns to win…<200 total yds for the pair should get it done].

How many yards did the Top 2 backs from 4-7/2-5 Gardner-Webb & 3-8/2-4 North Alabama each amass vs. the Weak-neckedPigeons ‘impenetrable’ Defense? Since KayEssYou somehow pulled a final-seconds W out of their nasty tailfeathers against both of those 2 soft sisters, perhaps improving on those results would be advisable. [Probably not applicable to NDSU]

Just checked the stats for those near owlet losses to 2 FCS bottom-feeders. Looks like, as odd as it seems, Who-T may have been right from the start…[Probably not applicable to NDSU]

…the VerminVacuums will need to hold Holmes AND Saylors to under 100 Total Yards combined to have any hope of winning on Saturday. [Probably not applicable to NDSU]

Good luck with that.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2021, 02:43 PM
Could also be that the tickets are overpriced for the product. Not the team, but everything else. The Sac State tickets were $10 for adults and $5 for kids. At that price I would be going.... I could take my family of 5 for the same price as one endzone ticket.
It's the cheapest ticket of the season ($35 for endzone and $45 for sideline). That's $15 cheaper per ticket than any of the conference regular season games and even $10 cheaper than the Valpo game. Plus no Team Maker dues like are attached to season tickets either. Per NCAA policy they can't charge less for the playoffs than they do for their cheapest regular season game and I'm pretty sure NDSU reduces prices on one home game each regular season for this exact reason (this year it was the opener vs Albany).

Mfergy4
December 8th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Correct...too many Bandwagon jumpers are now leaping off, play-off tickets prices are not the issue....it is the normal season ticket prices with the added Team maker fees added in. Although for my 7 seats it does run about $245 per play-off week-end. Add in hotels and food for many of the people from out-of town and yes it is an expensive weekend.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2021, 02:46 PM

There are also people that are still staying away from crowds, due to Covid. I drive 4 hours both ways on game day, so add $60 worth of gas. Bison season tickets are cheaper for me, than my wife and I going to 1 Packer game at Lambeau. My first Lambeau game was a playoff game in 1983, $12.50, 19 rows up on the 45, behind the Packers bench. The cost of entertainment has gone up all over. It's up to each person, what they want to spend. Times they are a changin.

Mfergy4
December 8th, 2021, 04:30 PM
There are also people that are still staying away from crowds, due to Covid. I drive 4 hours both ways on game day, so add $60 worth of gas. Bison season tickets are cheaper for me, than my wife and I going to 1 Packer game at Lambeau. My first Lambeau game was a playoff game in 1983, $12.50, 19 rows up on the 45, behind the Packers bench. The cost of entertainment has gone up all over. It's up to each person, what they want to spend. Times they are a changin.

Have to agree with the Covid statement, did not really think about that aspect of it.

Prime Power
December 8th, 2021, 04:56 PM
It's the cheapest ticket of the season ($35 for endzone and $45 for sideline). That's $15 cheaper per ticket than any of the conference regular season games and even $10 cheaper than the Valpo game. Plus no Team Maker dues like are attached to season tickets either. Per NCAA policy they can't charge less for the playoffs than they do for their cheapest regular season game and I'm pretty sure NDSU reduces prices on one home game each regular season for this exact reason (this year it was the opener vs Albany).

Cheapest of the season doesn't make it cheap. They did what NASCAR did and lost the loyal fan base for big wig bandwagon fans and it's costing them now.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2021, 05:05 PM
IIRC ticket prices were $15-$25 in 2006, and nobody was coming to games. The first playoff game against Robert Morris was pretty sparse.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2021, 05:10 PM
So I went and looked at my old tickets

1992 Dakotah Field North Side $8.00
1993 Fargodome $10.00
2004 $12.00
2010 Playoffs Endzone $18.00
2015 Playoffs Endzone $30.00
2021 Playoffs Endzone $35.00

Daytripper
December 8th, 2021, 05:14 PM
So I went and looked at my old tickets

1992 Dakotah Field North Side $8.00
1993 Fargodome $10.00
2004 $12.00
2010 Playoffs Endzone $18.00
2015 Playoffs Endzone $30.00
2021 Playoffs Endzone $35.00

This doesn't seem like excessive price gouging. There is a thing called inflation. The price of everything of value always goes up eventually.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 05:24 PM
This doesn't seem like excessive price gouging. There is a thing called inflation. The price of everything of value always goes up eventually.
Actually looks like the cost of NDSU Playoff tickets has almost (endzone) doubled or quite a bit more than (sideline) doubled the rate of the thing called inflation since 2004…

Inflation Calculator

If in

I purchased an item for $
$12.00

then in

that same item would cost: $17.57

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Actually looks like the cost of NDSU Playoff tickets has almost (endzone) doubled or quite a bit more than (sideline) doubled the rate of the thing called inflation since 2004…

Inflation Calculator

If in

$12.00

then in

2004 was the first season in DI, not eligible for the playoffs.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2021, 05:39 PM

Inflation Calculator

If in

$12.00

then in

Season tickets for home games are a lot more money than the playoffs are. We pay 60 a seat and ours are on the goal line on the Bison side of the field. Lots and lots of seats are well into 3 figures per game. It is pretty tough to bitch about the prices of playoff tickets as a reason for current season ticket holders staying home in the playoffs.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 06:11 PM
2004 was the first season in DI, not eligible for the playoffs.
OK…

Inflation Calculator

If in 2010

I purchased an item for $18.00

then in 2021

that same item would cost: $22.83

53% > than inflation rate.

Prime Power
December 8th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Season tickets for home games are a lot more money than the playoffs are. We pay 60 a seat and ours are on the goal line on the Bison side of the field. Lots and lots of seats are well into 3 figures per game. It is pretty tough to bitch about the prices of playoff tickets as a reason for current season ticket holders staying home in the playoffs.

Not really bitching only about playoff ticket prices...I am saying the prices for regular season and playoffs are too damn high. Probably staying home because they had their regular season fun/tailgating with nice warm weather and are old and can't handle the cold.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Not really bitching only about playoff ticket prices...I am saying the prices for regular season and playoffs are too damn high. Probably staying home because they had their regular season fun/tailgating with nice warm weather and are old and can't handle the cold.
There is no rational reason why playoff attendance is less than some regular season game. I have never understood that outside the Thanksgiving weekend and we never play then anyway. The entire season is geared towards playoffs and then people quit going. I simply don’t get it.

All people are doing by not showing up for the playoffs is ****ting on the team and the guys that got them their. But these same people will go to Frisco and pretend they are super fans.

Prime Power
December 8th, 2021, 06:56 PM
There is no rational reason why playoff attendance is less than some regular season game. I have never understood that outside the Thanksgiving weekend and we never play then anyway. The entire season is geared towards playoffs and then people quit going. I simply don’t get it.

All people are doing by not showing up for the playoffs is ****ting on the team and the guys that got them their. But these same people will go to Frisco and pretend they are super fans.

I totally agree. I don't understand it either. I know for me I go to one or two games a year, because it's what I can afford. I usually went to regular season games, because it was hard to get playoff tickets....not anymore.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2021, 07:03 PM
I totally agree. I don't understand it either. I know for me I go to one or two games a year, because it's what I can afford. I usually went to regular season games, because it was hard to get playoff tickets....not anymore.
I am sure we have the most expensive ticket in FCS and they are probably higher than most G5 teams and they should probably look at ticket pricing. I have heard some ridiculous numbers thrown out there for mid field seats.

I don’t what the answer is but it needs to be addressed. There are a lot of people that go to tailgating and then leave and go home to watch the game or go to a bar. I have offered free tickets to a few of these types and get turned down. I cannot wrap my head around that mentality. Would they go to the game if alcohol is as served in the dome, maybe. I don’t know.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Trust me our team is taking you guys seriously. That's all that really matters. Looking forward to the game and watching your team take on the Bison!

Bisonator
December 8th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Attendance is down pretty much every where is it not? Probably has a lot to do with covid and the games being televised or streamable more than anything. People can't sit and watch something for more then 15 minutes now days. Just the way it is and has been trending for awhile.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Attendance is down pretty much every where is it not? Probably has a lot to do with covid and the games being televised or streamable more than anything. People can't sit and watch something for more then 15 minutes now days. Just the way it is and has been trending for awhile.
Furman attendance was way up this Fall. Mercer remained at solid levels. I’m sure ETSU is up & I know CIT had a good year at the ticket booth. Would be surprised if WCU wasn’t seeing substantial increases by the end of the season with their strong finish.

SoCon peeps, even though we had a full conference round-robin this past Spring & 4 Teams played games Fall of 2020, and Southern peeps in general, sure missed ‘normal’ Football last Fall.

ElCid
December 8th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Furman attendance was way up this Fall. Mercer remained at solid levels. I’m sure ETSU is up & I know CIT had a good year at the ticket booth. Would be surprised if WCU wasn’t seeing substantial increases by the end of the season with their strong finish.

SoCon peeps, even though we had a full conference round-robin this past Spring & 4 Teams played games Fall of 2020, and Southern peeps in general, sure missed ‘normal’ Football last Fall.

We were up from 2019, the last normal year, by about 600 a game. Had a hair shy of 10k average. Still not good compared to even 10 years ago, but glad to see the trend reverse a little. Maybe when our visitors side is completed it will give us a bump. I know I went to every home game from 07-15 but only about 6 since.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2021, 06:36 AM

Pretty interesting debate on this. The reduced attendance is probably many factors but IMO the covid crap has a lot to do with it.

Price? Maybe but anyone bitching about price is a non-starter for me. Prices go up, it is part of life/business and college athletics is a business. I've had my tickets in sec 20 3rd row for 19 years and it has been worth every penny. In fact, I would pay more for them because I enjoy the games.

Your beer comment might bring out some more.

Tough call on why all these bandwagon fans are not buying playoff tickets but the athletic department needs to address it with some better promotions/hype in the offseason/summer. Get a better "fan gameday experience"....

mvemjsunpx
December 9th, 2021, 07:23 AM

This is true basically everywhere. Season tickets count toward attendance in the regular season whether the holder shows up or not, but season-ticket holders have to re-buy each week in the playoffs (they may only count gate attendance, too, I'm not sure).

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2021, 07:56 AM
It was great to see RoadWarrior honored at the SIU game for attending his 500th consecutive Bison game. Awesome fan!

POD Knows
December 9th, 2021, 08:36 AM
It was great to see RoadWarrior honored at the SIU game for attending his 500th consecutive Bison game. Awesome fan!
That is an amazing number to me. You would think that somehow in that stretch that a storm would have kept him away from a game or something. And it isnt like we play all of our games close to home. I thought it was amazing when I heard about this streak back in 07 when I moved over here.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2021, 08:39 AM
This is true basically everywhere. Season tickets count toward attendance in the regular season whether the holder shows up or not, but season-ticket holders have to re-buy each week in the playoffs (they may only count gate attendance, too, I'm not sure).
Somebody had stated that NDSU reports attendance during the regular season based on scanned tickets. I have no idea if that is correct or not. I do know that it is pretty easy to get a season ticket now for NDSU but there used to be a big waiting line for them a few years ago.

Mfergy4
December 9th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Went to every game I could during college and after. Missed for Desert Storm 1. In 1993 when they moved inside all end zone seats were General admission, loved them. Missed the 1998 and 1999 seasons because our kids came along and were too young to bring to the games yet. Returned in the late 2000 season as youngest could walked then. Between 2001 and 2009, when the end zone lower seats went season tickets we bought in. Kids had the run of rows C and D in Section 8 most times. 6 Flags had the Bells and clangers, and I had my 1983 vintage Yellow horn from the Dakota Field days, we made lots of racket. The loss of noise makers has always been a sore issue with me. Missed the 2002 season after being deployed for Operation Enduring Freedom, but we kept the season tickets. Starting in 2009 seats started to fill in around us but kids still high-five the players after TD's. After 2010 demand went crazy. Many people bitching because they could not get tickets. A family of three bought the seats next to ours. They were from the Twin cities and never missed a game and they added a fourth to the family but only had three seats...they purchased General Admissions and had the youngest sit in their laps. Their daughter came down sick with cancer a few years back missed most of the season I believe that was 2016. I have not seen them since 2018. Guessing kids are involved in lots of stuff now and hard to balance that and the travel up to the games. My kids have all grownup, oldest Is a Nurse with Mayo Clinic, and my son is in his Senior year at NDSU. He rotates between Student seating and our seats. Have my brother and his family going to the games now, they used to UND fans since that is where he worked.
So just wondering in the loss of fans is it "boredom" as some are reporting or just major life style changes, Covid, the affect of rising Team Maker mandatory fees each year, Dome food has not changed in years in selection but prices are up, lack of Alcohol sales in the dome, and fan dissatisfaction with the venue (cramped seating, narrow seats, lack of maintenance). I do know of several fans whose seats have been broken in our section and it took a full year to get them repaired.

dewey
December 9th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Here is a really interesting article about ETSU starting their program back up not too long ago.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/7315487-McFeely-Dormant-for-11-years-East-Tennessee-State-football-program-coming-to-Fargo-was-built-back-from-scratch

Dewey

Mfergy4
December 9th, 2021, 10:14 AM
There my longest dissertation in a while. But lets get back to the game coming up and save the attendance discussion for later. Lots was made of ETSU practicing inside with loud noise... great, but it is the switching back and forth between ear splitting noise when we are on defense and the quiet when we are on offense which can affect the mind greatly during the game. You cannot prep for that.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2021, 10:44 AM
There my longest dissertation in a while. But lets get back to the game coming up and save the attendance discussion for later. Lots was made of ETSU practicing inside with loud noise... great, but it is the switching back and forth between ear splitting noise when we are on defense and the quiet when we are on offense which can affect the mind greatly during the game. You cannot prep for that.Agreed that is weird, but they can approximate that in their Mini-Dome just by clicking the On/Off switch on the Artificial noise. Because of their ability to just practice in a dome (and they do use it regularly for inclement weather practices), FUBeAR thinks they can/will be more prepared for the 1st few series than prior SoCon / southern schools that have come in there and have 3 or 4 Illegal Procedure penalties during those series, getting behind the chains, pinning themselves deep in their own zone, losing field position, and giving NDSU’s O short fields to more readily build an early lead. The blitzkrieg (lightning war) effect should be lessened.

Not even considering the noise aspect, just playing in a Dome is weird and unsettling if you haven’t done it before…and most SoCon/Southern schools (outside of ETSU) have not. FUBeAR remembers the one time he played in the Mini-Dome way back when. It was just really unsettling. No crown on the field was odd, the walls very near the sidelines were unsettling, the sound echoed differently. Our Kickers and Punters were hitting the ceiling with the ball during Friday walkthrough and Pre-game. FUBeAR did not like it - just wanted to get that game over with and get on the bus.

ETSU’s Players shouldn’t be too affected by the venue itself, they can much more readily prepare themselves for the noise and the initial onslaught that has, I believe, crushed prior challengers. Now…are they good enough to compete with NDSU’s Team, System, and Players? FUBeAR thinks not…but we will see…with the usual vast bizuns Home Field advantage possibly reduced…they might have a puncher’s chance.

dewey
December 9th, 2021, 10:50 AM
From my memory teams that come to the Fargodome the 1st time do not do well (Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Richmond, New Hampshire, etc) but there are teams that have done well their 1st time here (JMU in 2016 - different team and coach then from the 2011 team, Wofford in 2012).

I think practicing with noise in a dome is a different animal than playing inthe Fargodome Eben though the attendance has not been good.

My prediction
NDSU 27
ETSU 13

Dewey

AmsterBison
December 9th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Pretty interesting debate on this. The reduced attendance is probably many factors but IMO the covid crap has a lot to do with it.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable being in an enclosed space with thousands of unvaccinated people for 3+ hours. NDSU can't bar the unvaccinated though, the backlash would be incredible - the ND legislature would go ape****.

That said, if NDSU makes it to the semis, that'll be a good crowd unless there is a natural disaster.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2021, 02:22 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable being in an enclosed space with thousands of unvaccinated people for 3+ hours. NDSU can't bar the unvaccinated though, the backlash would be incredible - the ND legislature would go ape****.

That said, if NDSU makes it to the semis, that'll be a good crowd unless there is a natural disaster.

I'm vaccinated and do not give 2 sh**s if someone around me is not....

Mfergy4
December 9th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Agreed that is weird, but they can approximate that in their Mini-Dome just by clicking the On/Off switch on the Artificial noise. Because of their ability to just practice in a dome (and they do use it regularly for inclement weather practices), FUBeAR thinks they can/will be more prepared for the 1st few series than prior SoCon / southern schools that have come in there and have 3 or 4 Illegal Procedure penalties during those series, getting behind the chains, pinning themselves deep in their own zone, losing field position, and giving NDSU’s O short fields to more readily build an early lead. The blitzkrieg (lightning war) effect should be lessened.

Not even considering the noise aspect, just playing in a Dome is weird and unsettling if you haven’t done it before…and most SoCon/Southern schools (outside of ETSU) have not. FUBeAR remembers the one time he played in the Mini-Dome way back when. It was just really unsettling. No crown on the field was odd, the walls very near the sidelines were unsettling, the sound echoed differently. Our Kickers and Punters were hitting the ceiling with the ball during Friday walkthrough and Pre-game. FUBeAR did not like it - just wanted to get that game over with and get on the bus.

ETSU’s Players shouldn’t be too affected by the venue itself, they can much more readily prepare themselves for the noise and the initial onslaught that has, I believe, crushed prior challengers. Now…are they good enough to compete with NDSU’s Team, System, and Players? FUBeAR thinks not…but we will see…with the usual vast bizuns Home Field advantage possibly reduced…they might have a puncher’s chance.

Excellent counter-points FUBeAR! Those who generally show up to the games can really bring the noise yet, but just not with the same decibel level. Hoping to see a good close game but with a Bison winning ending.

TribeNomad1
December 9th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Me neither. I was out to a holiday "event" last evening sponsored by some vendors. Held in a party room in an upscale suburban restaurant. About 30 people, grouped around, open bar and tables of food. Hand shaking, no one worried about getting food from the tables short of a guy telling me he cannot have red meat after a tick bite made him highly allergic. As I was leaving, one hostess (who I had not met previously) gave me a hug goodbye.

People (short of the ones who have not left home and still get nightly doses of gloom, doom and scares) know we have to live life. The Fauci's and their ilk want us scared and submissive.

Mfergy4
December 9th, 2021, 02:46 PM

Wife is a teacher in a middle in Fargo, you would not believe how many kids show up for school with Covid Symptoms, the parents are called, they get tested with positive results and still return to school the next day only to be sent home. Parents are pissed because the kids can't go to school sick.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Looking into the ETSU rushing attack, some stats stuck out to me:

First of all, when they actually faced a good rushing defense they didn't perform to well like against Kennesaw State. KSU has the #13 rushing defense in the FCS and ETSU ran for a whopping 70 yards. Same in the Chattanooga game. UT-C has the #27 ranked rushing defense and ETSU managed 160 yards.

Mercer has a mediocre rush defense (#54) and ETSU managed 161 yards on them. Another mediocre rushing defense was The Citadel (#63) and ETSU rushed for 145 on them.

Well, they did pretty good against teams with piss poor rushing defenses like Wofford, VMI, WCU (last in the FCS in rushing defense), Samford (2nd to last in rushing defense).

Now they face the #6 rushing defense and #1 scoring defense and #4 total defense. If mediocre rushing defenses really slowed them down and top 15 rushing defense held them to 70, there is no way they are running over NDSU.

Let's see how they perform against a physical Valley defense.

IMO, this game is a 35-10 or 42-10 game!

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2021, 02:53 PM
From my memory teams that come to the Fargodome the 1st time do not do well (Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Richmond, New Hampshire, etc) but there are teams that have done well their 1st time here (JMU in 2016 - different team and coach then from the 2011 team, Wofford in 2012).

I think practicing with noise in a dome is a different animal than playing inthe Fargodome Eben though the attendance has not been good.

My prediction
NDSU 27
ETSU 13

Dewey

JMU didn't do too bad in 2011 either.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2021, 03:01 PM
Me neither. I was out to a holiday "event" last evening sponsored by some vendors. Held in a party room in an upscale suburban restaurant. About 30 people, grouped around, open bar and tables of food. Hand shaking, no one worried about getting food from the tables short of a guy telling me he cannot have red meat after a tick bite made him highly allergic. As I was leaving, one hostess (who I had not met previously) gave me a hug goodbye.

People (short of the ones who have not left home and still get nightly doses of gloom, doom and scares) know we have to live life. The Fauci's and their ilk want us scared and submissive.

I'm keeping politics out of my answers in the football forum but for me personally now, I do not care if someone around me is vaccinated or not. I am along with my family and that is what matters to me. But I'm sure this covid dynamic is keeping people away from the FD. Not the sole reason but probably a significant one.

Professor
December 9th, 2021, 03:08 PM
I watched them vs KSU and i think KSU let up on them. They have a chance but i think NDSU will be too much

Hammerhead
December 9th, 2021, 03:23 PM
The administrator at their csnbbs.com forum won't even approve my account. Maybe I should send a new request and not say my team is NDSU? :) If that admin is on here, I registered as Gar Bear.

ETSUfan1
December 9th, 2021, 03:28 PM
The administrator at their csnbbs.com forum won't even approve my account. Maybe I should send a new request and not say my team is NDSU? :) If that admin is on here, I registered as Gar Bear.

ETSU fans don’t control the site wide account creation.

1992Bison
December 9th, 2021, 03:47 PM
funny thing is the season tickets are bought and paid for, people just don't show up to the games. When they have to pony up for Playoff tickets, alot just don't

AmsterBison
December 9th, 2021, 04:07 PM

My theory is that many people do care. Obviously, many people think somewhat like you or the dome would be even emptier.

I think we are on the same page here.

Chalupa Batman
December 9th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Talk to Lakes, he’s an admin over there.

bobcathpdevil56
December 9th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Talk to Lakes, he’s an admin over there.

Lakes still exists, I miss him.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Looking into the ETSU rushing attack, some stats stuck out to me:

First of all, when they actually faced a good rushing defense they didn't perform to well like against Kennesaw State. KSU has the #13 rushing defense in the FCS and ETSU ran for a whopping 70 yards. Same in the Chattanooga game. UT-C has the #27 ranked rushing defense and ETSU managed 160 yards.

Mercer has a mediocre rush defense (#54) and ETSU managed 161 yards on them. Another mediocre rushing defense was The Citadel (#63) and ETSU rushed for 145 on them.

Well, they did pretty good against teams with piss poor rushing defenses like Wofford, VMI, WCU (last in the FCS in rushing defense), Samford (2nd to last in rushing defense).

Now they face the #6 rushing defense and #1 scoring defense and #4 total defense. If mediocre rushing defenses really slowed them down and top 15 rushing defense held them to 70, there is no way they are running over NDSU.

Let's see how they perform against a physical Valley defense.

IMO, this game is a 35-10 or 42-10 game!so…this is why FUBeAR included the Rushing/Receiving/Touches table (Post #141) for Holmes & Saylors combined. They are not just good RB’s. Both are excellent Receivers as well. To be honest, they both block their a$$e$ off too…and not just for each other…seen ‘em both put unsuspecting DE’s on their a$$e$ as they were ‘chipping’ the the DE on their way to a flat route. As noted in another post, Saylors is also a top-tier Kickoff Return man…but excluding that aspect, the key, in FUBeAR’s opinion is to hold them under 200 total yards combined. Other than Vandy, Teams that did that - Mercer, Furman, and KSU and lost to ETSU only lost because of ETSU pulling another miracle out of their below-deck stern.

The conclusions you have reached about the run D’s that ETSU has faced are skewed because they face the 6 SoCon Offenses that are ranked in the Top 25 in Rushing. By contrast, the MVFC only has 3 Teams in the Top 25 in Rushing.

No disagreement on the outcome of the game or even your score projections, but it won’t be because ETSU hasn’t faced a physical Defense - Chattanooga (#10 D), Furman, Mercer (#21 D), and Kennesaw (#17 D) - 4 OF ETSU’s last 5 games are all very physical on D. WCU, and particularly, Samford…not so much. But Samford’s O can hang half a hundred on an SEC Defense…so they got that going for them…which is nice. :)

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Bison 105
ETSU 0

Neil Lomax Bowl

Hammerhead
December 9th, 2021, 11:05 PM
I've always wondered how many season tickets are purchased by businesses that don't want to spend the extra money for playoff games.

funny thing is the season tickets are bought and paid for, people just don't show up to the games. When they have to pony up for Playoff tickets, alot just don't

dewey
December 9th, 2021, 11:21 PM
I'm keeping politics out of my answers in the football forum but for me personally now, I do not care if someone around me is vaccinated or not. I am along with my family and that is what matters to me. But I'm sure this covid dynamic is keeping people away from the FD. Not the sole reason but probably a significant one.

Agreed. I think COVID is not the sole reason (previous seasons prove that) but I think it is a significant one. I think there are quite a few other factors as I have said too.

Dewey

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2021, 06:58 AM
I keep seeing these score predictions and wonder when FuBear is gonna toss out another avatar wager?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 07:20 AM
I keep seeing these score predictions and wonder when FuBear is gonna toss out another avatar wager?

xboringx

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 07:23 AM
FUBeAR may have played way too many plays without a helmet, but he ain’t stupid.

Play this one at a (truly) neutral site or in Johnson City & FUBeAR would be willing to place an appropriately handicapped wager, but no one can really project how 70+ 18-23 (26 in ETSU’s case) year olds and/or their Coaching Staff are going to respond to playing in that venue.

In other words, FUBeAR wouldn’t bet this game even if he had Milktruck’s money.

Milktruck74
December 10th, 2021, 07:34 AM
but no one can really project how 70+ 18-23 (26 in ETSU’s case) year olds are going to respond

I whittled down your statement a little and was reminded of the time my wife and I had a long and difficult discussion about me NOT taking a GA spot upon graduation. I was not sure staking my ability to provide for my family on this segment of the population was wise.

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Wonderful weekend for a winter storm. Any of the forecasted storm hitting Fargo?

CPMPride
December 10th, 2021, 09:43 AM
I think it's due to track further south, unlike last weekend when the white stuff went north. I'm in Woodbury and expecting to get blasted.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Wonderful weekend for a winter storm. Any of the forecasted storm hitting Fargo?
Nope…looks like a nice, if chilly, weekend in Fargo…

Fri 10 | Day
29°
7%
SSW 7 mph
A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 29F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Fri 10 | Night

8%
WSW 7 mph
Partly cloudy skies. Low 8F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sat 11 | Day
30°
7%
SW 13 mph
Mainly sunny. High near 30F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Nope…looks like a nice, if chilly, weekend in Fargo…

Fri 10 | Day
29°
7%
SSW 7 mph
A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 29F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Fri 10 | Night

8%
WSW 7 mph
Partly cloudy skies. Low 8F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sat 11 | Day
30°
7%
SW 13 mph
Mainly sunny. High near 30F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
That is a heat wave on Saturday. There will be people tailgating in short sleeve shirts. Not kidding.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2021, 10:31 AM
The winter storm in southern MN today could impact travel if anyone is flying to MSP and driving up to Fargo today.

Why is ETSU's mascot the Buccaneers when their campus has an elevation around 1,600 ft. and a whole state away from the ocean?

semobison
December 10th, 2021, 10:37 AM
so…this is why FUBeAR included the Rushing/Receiving/Touches table (Post #141) for Holmes & Saylors combined. They are not just good RB’s. Both are excellent Receivers as well. To be honest, they both block their a$$e$ off too…and not just for each other…seen ‘em both put unsuspecting DE’s on their a$$e$ as they were ‘chipping’ the the DE on their way to a flat route. As noted in another post, Saylors is also a top-tier Kickoff Return man…but excluding that aspect, the key, in FUBeAR’s opinion is to hold them under 200 total yards combined. Other than Vandy, Teams that did that - Mercer, Furman, and KSU and lost to ETSU only lost because of ETSU pulling another miracle out of their below-deck stern.

The conclusions you have reached about the run D’s that ETSU has faced are skewed because they face the 6 SoCon Offenses that are ranked in the Top 25 in Rushing. By contrast, the MVFC only has 3 Teams in the Top 25 in Rushing.

No disagreement on the outcome of the game or even your score projections, but it won’t be because ETSU hasn’t faced a physical Defense - Chattanooga (#10 D), Furman, Mercer (#21 D), and Kennesaw (#17 D) - 4 OF ETSU’s last 5 games are all very physical on D. WCU, and particularly, Samford…not so much. But Samford’s O can hang half a hundred on an SEC Defense…so they got that going for them…which is nice. :)

If the SoCon plays such physical defense it hasn’t won them many games in the playoffs. If ETSU could pull off a stunner this saturday they would be the first SoCon team to reach the semi’s since GSU in 2012. In that same time frame the Valley has had 3 teams not named NDSU make the final. The SoCon sure ain’t what it used to be!

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 11:25 AM
If the SoCon plays such physical defense it hasn’t won them many games in the playoffs. If ETSU could pull off a stunner this saturday they would be the first SoCon team to reach the semi’s since GSU in 2012. In that same time frame the Valley has had 3 teams not named NDSU make the final. The SoCon sure ain’t what it used to be!
Many, many reasons for the results you quote which are far beyond the physicality of some Teams’ Defenses…you’re saying something similar to saying that Tom Hanks is not a good actor and the fact that “Bachelor Party” didn’t win Best Picture proves that. FUBeAR believes the Statistician types call this a spurious correlation.

But you are correct in that the SoCon sure ain’t what it used to be…in 2014. It is far better now…regardless of the outcome of the ETSU @ NDSU game tomorrow. Could turn about to be a “Turner & Hooch” for ETSU, but that won’t disprove the veracity of FUBeAR’s commentary vis a vis the strength of the SoCon.

Mfergy4
December 10th, 2021, 11:40 AM
Many, many reasons for the results you quote which are far beyond the physicality of some Teams’ Defenses…you’re saying something similar to saying that Tom Hanks is not a good actor and the fact that “Bachelor Party” didn’t win Best Picture proves that. FUBeAR believes the Statistician types call this a spurious correlation.

But you are correct in that the SoCon sure ain’t what it used to be…in 2014. It is far better now…regardless of the outcome of the ETSU @ NDSU game tomorrow. Could turn about to be a “Turner & Hooch” for ETSU, but that won’t disprove the veracity of FUBeAR’s commentary vis a vis the strength of the SoCon.

FUBeAR - all those helmet kisses of the pass have not hurt your literary skills at all. But all the same, on the offensive & defensive lines if athleticism is the same mass still rules the game...and you are a bit on the lighter side on the defense. How many of your guards and tackles can pull down the line and move fast enough to take on CB's and Safeties downfield before the running back arrives? Gotta feeling the our O-Line will be cutting and stacking the defense just like they do the hay bales at home.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2021, 11:44 AM
It would be more like saying an actor is no longer a superstar if their last eight movies tanked at the box office.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 12:06 PM
FUBeAR - all those helmet kisses of the pass have not hurt your literary skills at all. But all the same, on the offensive & defensive lines if athleticism is the same mass still rules the game...and you are a bit on the lighter side on the defense. How many of your guards and tackles can pull down the line and move fast enough to take on CB's and Safeties downfield before the running back arrives? Gotta feeling the our O-Line will be cutting and stacking the defense just like they do the hay bales at home.
You? Your?

FUBeAR is not an ETSU fan and is not affiliated with their Football Program or University in any way. Nor does he have any desire to be.

You did a nice job of describing what FUBeAR saw in Mercer’s O-Line this year though. Too bad they played 1 bad game and their Admin Team dropped the ball in getting a PFL, a D2 Transitional, or a Houston Baptist game or 2 on their schedule for a couple of easy W’s that would have really proved to the Playoff Selection Committee that the Bears were just as capable of padding their resume as almost any other At-Large Playoff Team that was selected.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 12:16 PM
It would be more like saying an actor is no longer a superstar if their last eight movies tanked at the box office.
No…that would be like a Team that has years of capacity crowds and then can barely get to 60% of capacity for Playoff games.

The prior postulate picked a subjective attribute that is only a part of multiple parts of a whole, then leapt to the conclusion that failure of the whole to achieve the pinnacle of past success is definitive proof that this subjective attribute is not currently present in any parts of the multiple parts of the whole.

See the difference?

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2021, 12:18 PM
89Hen had a logo on here back in the day for the modern Southern Conference, SoGon.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 12:33 PM
89Hen had a logo on here back in the day for the modern Southern Conference, SoGon.
89Hen…was he a DelaWhere fan?

Probably a big cheerleader for the CAA, the CoalOnly Athletic Abomination, yes? Y’know the conference whose 3rd best Team got whipped at home by a Team that went 0-fer (yep…0-8) in the SoCon. The only game they even won all year was over the CAA’s 3rd best Team!

*CoalOnly …cuz it’s Xmas Time…and that’s all Santa would bring them…because they are BAD! Get it? (Oh well, I tried)

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 12:51 PM
Why is ETSU's mascot the Buccaneers when their campus has an elevation around 1,600 ft. and a whole state away from the ocean?
Dunno…but it has enabled FUBeAR to dub them the MountainPirates, Felons of the Foothills, LandlockedSailors, OceanlessPirates, Sealess Swashbucklers, DryDocked Desperados…and others, so it’s all good.

WeAreThePride
December 10th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Price? Maybe but anyone bitching about price is a non-starter for me. Prices go up, it is part of life/business and college athletics is a business. I've had my tickets in sec 20 3rd row for 19 years and it has been worth every penny. In fact, I would pay more for them because I enjoy the games.

Your beer comment might bring out some more.

Tough call on why all these bandwagon fans are not buying playoff tickets but the athletic department needs to address it with some better promotions/hype in the offseason/summer. Get a better "fan gameday experience"....
I don't think ticket prices are much of a deterrent for fan attendance. I'd say COVID and quality free/cheap streaming are tied for first place, weather is second, apathy/entitlement is third, and expense of the whole experience (ticket plus hotel plus parking plus insanely expensive prices for really ****ty food) is fourth.

Have you tried one of those mini Dominos pizzas they sell? They taste like they were made three weeks ago, and have been frozen and then thawed several times since, before being warmed up in a microwave an hour before you buy it.

ElCid
December 10th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Dunno…but it has enabled FUBeAR to dub them the MountainPirates, Felons of the Foothills, LandlockedSailors, OceanlessPirates, Sealess Swashbucklers, DryDocked Desperados…and others, so it’s all good.

It is kind of weird. But this site discusses it a little. Something about a "Pirate Creek" nearby.

https://www.etsualumni.org/s/974/bp18/interior.aspx?sid=974&gid=1&pgid=1222

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Bachelor Party!

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 01:29 PM
It is kind of weird. But this site discusses it a little. Something about a "Pirate Creek" nearby.

https://www.etsualumni.org/s/974/bp18/interior.aspx?sid=974&gid=1&pgid=1222Appears that explanation is rather tongue-in-cheek, but FUBeAR did discover what may have made him so uncomfortable playing in the Mini-Dome. It may not have been the structure itself after all. It very well have been the presence of this ridiculous thing….

https://www.etsualumni.org/s/974/images/editor/web_pages/pepper1.jpg

…masquerading as a mascot. Yeccchhhh!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 02:11 PM
I don't think ticket prices are much of a deterrent for fan attendance. I'd say COVID and quality free/cheap streaming are tied for first place, weather is second, apathy/entitlement is third, and expense of the whole experience (ticket plus hotel plus parking plus insanely expensive prices for really ****ty food) is fourth.

Have you tried one of those mini Dominos pizzas they sell? They taste like they were made three weeks ago, and have been frozen and then thawed several times since, before being warmed up in a microwave an hour before you buy it.

The only concessions I buy is water. My wife likes the almonds and they are good. That is one thing that could use a major makeover is the concessions.

Last week for only being 2/3s full, the dome was pretty loud until the game got out of hand....which was pretty quick.

AmsterBison
December 10th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Well, if pregame trailers decided games, it'd be over.

Here's the last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pip2cTd_2lo

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Welp…looks like the Buccaneers mustered up enough courage to get on the plane to Fargo…

https://twitter.com/etsufootball/status/1469364256520998913

Not sure if they’ll be able to keep from gettin’ that rabbit in their blood once they land or not…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJk2vxi1wI

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 02:18 PM
That NDSU hype video is pretty good...xnodx

dewey
December 10th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Here's the last one:

Dang does NDSU do a great job on those hype videos.

Dewey

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Welp…looks like the Buccaneers mustered up enough courage to get on the plane to Fargo…

https://twitter.com/etsufootball/status/1469364256520998913

Not sure if they’ll be able to keep from gettin’ that rabbit in their blood once they land or not…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJk2vxi1wI

Is that Kentucky Fried Chicken in them boxes?

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Is that Kentucky Fried Chicken in them boxes?
Nah…Ted Turner is an ETSU alum…so, he sponsors all of their meals…

https://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/menu-bison.html

…should be helpful in the semis also, when the Bucs get to Grill Montana

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 03:26 PM
This game will come down to this:

Bison OL:

Bucs DL:

Bucs LB:

Plus the Bison use an OL as a tight end sometimes (switches jerseys). So they would have a 292 lb extra TE also...xnodx

Bison have averaged 51 carriers over the last 3 games. Tomorrow there will be more....xnodx

I see one Bison fan has picked ETSU.....xrolleyesx

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 04:13 PM
This game will come down to this:

Bison OL:

Bucs DL:

Bucs LB:

Plus the Bison use an OL as a tight end sometimes (switches jerseys). So they would have a 292 lb extra TE also...xnodx

Bison have averaged 51 carriers over the last 3 games. Tomorrow there will be more....xnodx

I see one Bison fan has picked ETSU.....xrolleyesxLOL…
So…

Bison Front 7 on D avg 244 lbs
Bucs Front 7 on D avg 243 lbs

Bison OL avg = 308
Bucs OL avg = 303

…and the game is going to come down to a total avg weight difference of 6 lbs?

Thought y’all were better informed fans than this.

All OL’s are heavier than all D-Fronts at this level and most all levels of Football these days. Bison may win by 100, but it won’t be because their OL outweighs the ETSU D-Front. Outplay? Sure, probably will happen. Outweigh by significantly more than normal? Nah.

Are all the other D-Fronts in the MVFC just massive and NDSU’s is just puny for the Conference?…cuz they the same dang size as ETSU’s.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2021, 04:20 PM
The food isn't great, but you can get two hot dogs and a pretzel for $10 when just the pretzel is probably $8 at professional games.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2021, 04:23 PM
If any ETSU fans visit Fargo, you can get your picture taken with the wood chipper used in the movie at the vistor's center. https://www.facebook.com/thewoodchipper

Here's the last one:

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 04:37 PM
If any ETSU fans visit Fargo, you can get your picture taken with the wood chipper used in the movie at the vistor's center. https://www.facebook.com/thewoodchipper
That’s pretty cool. You betcha.

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2021, 04:39 PM
LOL…
So…

Bison OL avg = 308
Bucs OL avg = 303

All OL’s are heavier than all D-Fronts at this level and most all levels of Football these days. Bison may win by 100, but it won’t be because their OL outweighs the ETSU D-Front. Outplay? Sure, probably will happen. Outweigh by significantly more than normal? Nah.

Are all the other D-Fronts in the MVFC just massive and NDSU’s is just puny for the Conference?…cuz they the same dang size as ETSU’s.

Bison do a great job of rotating the d-line during the game.

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 04:53 PM
Bison do a great job of rotating the d-line during the game.So…NDSU, like every other college Football Team, typically rolls 6-8 DL guys throughout the game. Unbelievable!

Yep - they all do. Now, FUBeAR would be willing to bet that NDSU’s 2nd & 3rd DL rotations, like most FBS Teams, are a lot closer Talent-wise to their 1st rotation than most FCS Teams.

Quality depth is so much more important than something like weight differential…particularly when facing an O that runs the ball with power and Power (A-Gap or ‘Standard’ Power) 51 times.

If the game should happen to stay close, that’s something to watch. Most likely, NDSU will be able to stick with rolling their D personnel. Not sure, because of the depth factor, if ETSU will be able to do that. As MilkTruck called out during the KSU @ ETSU game, there was a major fall off in being able to stop KSU’s ground game when ETSU subbed out 1 of the DLMen. That guy will get all he can handle tomorrow. Can his back-up step up more than he was able to vs. KSU? Dunno…kinda doubt it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2021, 07:24 PM
LOL…
So…

Bison OL avg = 308
Bucs OL avg = 303

xblahx

marenlee
December 10th, 2021, 08:41 PM

Puddle Pirates?

ysubigred
December 10th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Puddle Pirates?Porch Pirates?

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2021, 09:00 PM
xblahx
Facts ARE way more mundane than bizun bluster

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 10th, 2021, 10:22 PM

The SoCon is a different league now since App State and Georgia Southern headed off to greener pastures. The new kids on the block (ETSU, Mercer and VMI) have done a mighty fine job filling their shoes. When App State had their natty teams (2005-07), NDSU was in its DI infancy. One item of note was that NDSU started to run the Great West like they owned it. It would make for a nice discussion to see how the NDSU teams from that time period would have fared against App's natty teams. I have no doubt in my mind NDSU will give those App teams a run for its money. Conversely, it would make for a nice discussion how the 69 NDSU team would have fared against the 69 ETSU team.

I have said this a time or two about this year's ETSU side (said this back in 2018 when ETSU won their first conference title) but it is worth repeating. ETSU is a well coached team and has a way of showing up and showing out when you least expect them. The more I look at the stats, the more I am not scared of NDSU. Call me crazy but I like ETSU's chances of winning their first game in a dome since 2003 (ETSU's last home game in the Mini-Dome vs. The Citadel).

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 01:25 AM
Thought y’all’d wanna see this since you been asking bout him.

https://twitter.com/wcyb_caseygoetz/status/1469505728805228545

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Facts ARE way more mundane than bizun bluster

I'll explain it to you since you are such a mental giant on here.

NDSU's OL is going to wear down the Bucs defense, death by a thousand cuts. Same recipe since 2011 for the Bison. Most OLs I've seen come into the dome are fat bodies. They have big bodies....oh, awesome....let's see how athletic they are. Bison OLs are athletic.

Bluster? xlolx Ya, go with that. NDSU is the better team and they will prove that today!

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 07:53 AM
NDSU's OL is going to wear down the Bucs defense, death by a thousand cuts. Same recipe since 2011 for the Bison. Most OLs I've seen come into the dome are fat bodies. They have big bodies....oh, awesome....let's see how athletic they are. Bison OLs are athletic.

Bluster? xlolx Ya, go with that. NDSU is the better team and they will prove that today!Correct.

Weight differential, detailed & highlighted in your prior post as the single factor that will determine the outcome of the game, has very little to do with the above.

The prior “Look how BIG we are & look how wee-tiny they are!” post…when both fronts for both Teams are almost exactly the same size is a perfect example of the bizun bluster…kind of like the ‘analysis’ often written by Sophomores in HS newspaper sports columns.

The wearing down part is 100% on the money & the real key…and what FUBeAR loves about NDSU’s style of Football.

As far as body fat % of various OL’s…don’t doubt you…those would sure be some interesting (non-blusterous) metrics to review, compare, and consider. Do you have any data like that? “Eye tests,” over the years, don’t contradict your claim, but some numbers on it would be fun.

How many people have you found doubting that NDSU is the better Team and will validate that today?

Repeatedly stating the obviously consensus opinion, when almost no one is claiming otherwise…um…yep…just more bluster.

EDIT: FUBeAR just learned a new word. “Bluster” is not quite accurate because no one can doubt that the bizuns Team does follow through. Shoulda used the term “rodomontade” which is a much more accurate descriptor. But…a) didn’t know the word until just now & b) it doesn’t quite flow nor have the alliterative appeal of bizun bluster. Oh well…

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 08:27 AM
You’re looking LIVE at a lake (I guess) somewhere in Washington, Carter, and/or Sullivan County, TN where the ETSU MountainPirate’s dock their commandeered sloop. Seems they are running full sail in stormy waters today. May be a bit like the blitzkrieg their ball club faces in FarToGo, ND in just a few hours…

https://twitter.com/etsu_cc/status/1469658254720573448

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 09:04 AM
This game could get ugly. I don’t think ETSU has the players to match up physically in the run game. And if you can’t shut down NDSU run enough to make them have to pass to beat you it’s over. So this one is over before it begins. 38-9 NDSU

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 09:05 AM
ETSU 28. NDSU 17. #BOOKIT

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 09:13 AM
POD, first off I have not recognized you for honoring your avatar bet. But second, is this pick satire?

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 09:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1mSzlpfkg

MR. CHICKEN
December 11th, 2021, 09:22 AM
.......ET..........PHONE HOME.........BRAWK!!

dewey
December 11th, 2021, 09:24 AM
POD, first off I have not recognized you for honoring your avatar bet. But second, is this pick satire?

Yes, POD always pucks against the Bison with the #bookit. Him amd "Mmiller" the SDSU fan are always using the "ability" to pick winners against each other.

Dewey

BNATION
December 11th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Yes, POD always pucks against the Bison with the #bookit. Him amd "Mmiller" the SDSU fan are always using the "ability" to pick winners against each other.

Dewey
Haha nice, I’m thinking the exact reverse of his pick.

AmsterBison
December 11th, 2021, 09:45 AM
I'll explain it to you since you are such a mental giant on here.

Bluster? xlolx Ya, go with that. NDSU is the better team and they will prove that today!

I think of NDSU as a boxer that works the body.

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Uhoh…foreshadowing that the bizuns are ready to take an unexpected tumble today?

https://twitter.com/taylor_mcgregor/status/1469682604916064262

Winindy
December 11th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Still, it was a pretty good gain.

FUBeAR
December 11th, 2021, 10:37 AM
I think of NDSU as a boxer that works the body.
Yep…exactly!

https://c.tenor.com/sjGeAYcyFKcAAAAC/rocky-beat.gif

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 10:48 AM
No. It is a real pick. Everybody is looking past this team. Lots and lots of talk amongst the green and yellow glasses crowd about the upcoming JMU game. Bison sleep walk and lose. #BOOKIT.

POD Knows
December 11th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Haha nice, I’m thinking the exact reverse of his pick.
And you would be wrong #BOOKIT.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Anish and Golic Jr! This should be fun!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2021, 11:07 AM
"Wood Chipper Loud"...lol