PDA

View Full Version : SLU fans are very unruly

bonarae
December 1st, 2021, 06:45 PM
xsmhx Will the NCAA or SLC step up and might ban fans at SLU home games? xdontknowx

https://hbcusports.com/2021/11/30/florida-am-fans-alleged-hearing-racial-slurs-enduring-harassment-at-southeastern-louisiana-football-game/

Their treatment of FAMU fans is very unexcusable. xmadx

bonarae
December 1st, 2021, 06:50 PM
For the uninitiated, here is a link to an article from the Tallahassee newspaper on the issue:

https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/8787263002

What's more unbelievable is that there are no publicly available videos of the incidents AFAIK. xsighx

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2021, 06:59 PM
This was a topic in the game thread. I said "why would somebody lie about their kid being hit by a beer can"?

This was funny though. . . https://i.groupme.com/791x960.jpeg.02a23ac6d5ad48978c25b170760c8891.larg e

ASU33
December 1st, 2021, 07:10 PM
I knew SELU was rough but dayum! This is crossing the line if true

Daytripper
December 1st, 2021, 07:14 PM
I like to think that the large majority of fans from most every school are good fans. There are always inbred douchebags in every fanbase. All SLU fans I have met seemed like good people. Anyway, I like to assume the best in people until they prove me wrong. Those in this picture have proved me wrong. Hope they get a venereal disease.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2021, 07:36 PM
xsmhx Will the NCAA or SLC step up and might ban fans at SLU home games? xdontknowx

https://hbcusports.com/2021/11/30/florida-am-fans-alleged-hearing-racial-slurs-enduring-harassment-at-southeastern-louisiana-football-game/

Their treatment of FAMU fans is very unexcusable. xmadx

This has been thoroughly investigated with no evidence of any of this happening. No evidence of anyone throwing a beer can, much less hitting anybody and zero evidence of racist taunts. Zero. No EMT reports, no arrests, nothing. We have idiots like everywhere else but the allegations in this piece are total BS.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2021, 07:38 PM
This was a topic in the game thread. I said "why would somebody lie about their kid being hit by a beer can"?

This was funny though. . . https://i.groupme.com/791x960.jpeg.02a23ac6d5ad48978c25b170760c8891.larg e

The girl holding this sign brings the same sign every week and changes the name of the school. It is very crude and I don’t like it but students do what students do.

NY Crusader 2010
December 2nd, 2021, 04:11 AM
This has been thoroughly investigated with no evidence of any of this happening. No evidence of anyone throwing a beer can, much less hitting anybody and zero evidence of racist taunts. Zero. No EMT reports, no arrests, nothing. We have idiots like everywhere else but the allegations in this piece are total BS.

One reason to doubt the story:

Beer isn't sold at NCAA sporting events -- even if the host school typically sells alcohol during the regular season. Of course, booze can be snuck in.

crusader11
December 2nd, 2021, 05:46 AM
Every person above the age of 15 had a smartphone in that stadium. Surely there must be some videos circulating of this reprehensible and disgusting behavior, right?

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2021, 06:24 AM

Beer isn't sold at NCAA sporting events -- even if the host school typically sells alcohol during the regular season. Of course, booze can be snuck in.
Not sure when this changed but it isn't the case anymore. I saw fans with beers during the SIU/South Dakota broadcast last Saturday. They even sell beer in Frisco now for the championship game (have since the January 2017 title game).

ASU33
December 2nd, 2021, 06:31 AM

Yep because that totally stops beer and alcohol from getting inside the stadium.

CockyGeek
December 2nd, 2021, 06:47 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but we had a horrible experience at the stadium. There's no reason for the student section to be behind the visitors bench and next to the visitors section other than intimidation.

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2021, 07:34 AM
I posted this in the game thread, but we had a horrible experience at the stadium. There's no reason for the student section to be behind the visitors bench and next to the visitors section other than intimidation.

.....DAT'S PART...UH....HOME COOKIN'.......AWK!

ElCid
December 2nd, 2021, 07:44 AM

Well,...yeah! That is the name of the game. Doesn't mean it has to translate into over the line behavior.

When our home side was replaced, and everyone sat on the visitor's side, the Corps remained on the visitors side even after the home side reopened. And they were moved to right behind the visitors bench. Not sure we had many serious issues. They were eventually moved back to the home side though.

BNATION
December 2nd, 2021, 08:06 AM
If all that was in that article is true, there is a 0% chance that this behavior was not filmed. Especially if fans were regularly shouting racial obscenities'. I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing it. Sounds like someone sore over a very poor showing from FAMU. Jessie Smollet anyone?

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2021, 08:23 AM
Well,...yeah! That is the name of the game. Doesn't mean it has to translate into over the line behavior.

When our home side was replaced, and everyone sat on the visitor's side, the Corps remained on the visitors side even after the home side reopened. And they were moved to right behind the visitors bench. Not sure we had many serious issues. They were eventually moved back to the home side though.
Ahhh…one of my favorite memories of playing college football was when The Citadel Corps of Cadets mustered & marched into the (then 2-sided) stadium right by the visitor’s locker room. Because the locker room, at the time, was under the visitor’s stands and about the size of a large walk-in closet, most of us opposing Players were outside sitting on the grass/sand beside the gate where the Corps entered.

The verbal exchanges between the Players and the Corps were Shakespearean passages of beauty laced with every four letter word ever uttered. Until you’ve been dog-cussed by over 2,000 young men (men only…at the time) at close range, you haven’t really been dog-cussed. Most of us had our numbered jerseys on by that time and the Corps knew us by name, position, and reputation in some cases. In some cases, they were HS classmates with our Players…so they knew Girlfriends’ and Moms’ names. Nothing was ‘off-limits’ for insults and descriptions of imagined defiling of those gentle feminine souls. Of course, there were many verbal retorts and criticism of various unusual physical characteristics of individual members of the corps. IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Lots of threats of physical violence accompanied these exchanges, but…in those days, we young people weren’t completely stupid, as it seems people of any age are now. There never were physical altercations (we’d a-killed ‘em) or objects thrown. And, even in The Citadel climate of those days (Dixie was their fight song and they waved GIANT confederate flags everywhere), there were no ‘racial slurs’ involved.

….To better times…

(and, no, I don’t mean the times of Dixie & Confederate Flags…I mean the times when people had common sense….and thicker skins.)

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2021, 08:26 AM
If all that was in that article is true, there is a 0% chance that this behavior was not filmed. Especially if fans were regularly shouting racial obscenities'. I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing it. Sounds like someone sore over a very poor showing from FAMU. Jessie Smollet anyone?
FUBeAR wondered how long it would take before someone suggested SELA was being “Jussied.”

Libertine
December 2nd, 2021, 10:25 AM
There's no reason for the student section to be behind the visitors bench and next to the visitors section other than intimidation.

That's....where the student section is supposed to be. Kind of the whole point of having a student section.

ming01
December 2nd, 2021, 10:59 AM
Not saying there werent unruly fans, but I remember when the IUPUI bball team thought NDSU students were yelling the N Word at them. Turned out it was a different word that wasnt derogatory that was being said that sounded like the N word.

Not saying none of this happened. just saying things can be overblown, but also get out of hand.

katss07
December 2nd, 2021, 01:54 PM
Eh, totally believable with SLU fans. I’m sure the good outnumber the ****ty fans as in all fanbases, but I’ve heard more than a few bad things about Strawberry and SLU.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2021, 01:55 PM
FUBeAR wondered how long it would take before someone suggested SELA was being “Jussied.”
Yep. This is false flag bull****. Put up or shut up FAMU.

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2021, 02:44 PM

We have security cameras that can see everything that goes on in our student section, as well everywhere else in the stadium and surrounding environment. Additionally, just about everybody has a cell phone and if things had gone down as described, somebody would have caught at least part of it. Again, not saying we don't have rude students and there wasn't the typical back-and-forth between opponents, but we have a student body that is 30 percent minority, and 22 percent African-American and racial slurs and taunts of any kind are not tolerated in the least bit. If evidence emerges and the allegations are proven, or at least determined likely, then let's punish everyone involved to the fullest extent possible. If any proof emerges of someone hitting a child in the head with a beer can, that person needs to be identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent. But to this point, there is zero evidence of anything like that taking place, much less a perpetrator identified.

NY Crusader 2010
December 2nd, 2021, 02:51 PM
Yep because that totally stops beer and alcohol from getting inside the stadium.

You must not have read the part where I wrote, "of course booze can be snuck in."

Given that I wasn't there, I don't know exactly how strict the NCAA personnel were as far as checking bags, monitoring re-entry, etc.

crusader11
December 2nd, 2021, 02:52 PM
We've all seen this movie before.

WestCoastAggie
December 2nd, 2021, 03:08 PM
The girl holding this sign brings the same sign every week and changes the name of the school. It is very crude and I don’t like it but students do what students do.

I loved the "FAMU Falls 4 Clickbait" poster.

Puddin Tane
December 2nd, 2021, 05:52 PM
Hmmm …they do realize that Sela isnt an all white school?

we lost, throw out the race card

dgtw
December 2nd, 2021, 07:33 PM
The sign is funny but it references an event that happened before any current college student was born. Get new material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickels
December 2nd, 2021, 10:34 PM
I've witnessed worse at Strawberry than what FAMU is claiming.

Tons of thrown drinks
Literally spitting on passerbys
Little girl intentionally pushed down
Stealing from players and slapping the backs of their helmets (visitor bench is really close to visitor stand walkway)
Bad natured **** talk
Saying awful **** to women
Starting fights
The same experience as FAMU with the police.

Worst group of people I've ever been around in my entire life.

When they're trash, it's not an issue because the students dont show up. If they're competitive going forward, it will happen again.

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2021, 08:34 AM
.....SO.....DEY'RE DUH RELATIVES.....UH MARSHALL FANS?...........BRAWK!

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2021, 09:13 AM
.....SO.....DEY'RE DUH RELATIVES.....UH MARSHALL FANS?...........BRAWK!LOL!!!

In Marsha’s old stadium, their fans were absolutely on top of the visiting team bench….and those fans weren’t students. They were HARD coal miners & factory workers, etc. - definitely a blue collar & black lung crowd. Those games were their only enjoyment for the entire week…and Marsha was terrible in those days - we didn’t call them “The Blundering Turd” for no reason. So, cheering for their Team’s successes didn’t offer much opportunity. Instead, they rained insults non-stop & more than a few liquor bottles down on us throughout the game…and like a fireworks display, hit us with a grand finale assault after the final whistle blew in yet another defeat of their Home Team. Their insults were hilarious and some of those liquor bottles held enough content for a healthy surreptitious celebratory post-game swig.

Don’t recall any injuries and our thick skins appreciated their verbal creativity and, honestly, to some extent, we empathized with their plight. All in good fun.

Now, the many & large concrete & asphalt spots showing thru their awful indoor/carpet turf was another matter entirely. FUBeAR still has the bone chips in his elbow to remember it by.

Houndawg
December 3rd, 2021, 10:00 AM
LOL!!!

In Marsha’s old stadium, their fans were absolutely on top of the visiting team bench….and those fans weren’t students. They were HARD coal miners & factory workers, etc. - definitely a blue collar & black lung crowd. Those games were their only enjoyment for the entire week…and Marsha was terrible in those days - we didn’t call them “The Blundering Turd” for no reason. So, cheering for their Team’s successes didn’t offer much opportunity. Instead, they rained insults non-stop & more than a few liquor bottles down on us throughout the game…and like a fireworks display, hit us with a grand finale assault after the final whistle blew in yet another defeat of their Home Team. Their insults were hilarious and some of those liquor bottles held enough content for a healthy surreptitious celebratory post-game swig.

Don’t recall any injuries and our thick skins appreciated their verbal creativity and, honestly, to some extent, we empathized with their plight. All in good fun.

Now, the many & large concrete & asphalt spots showing thru their awful indoor/carpet turf was another matter entirely. FUBeAR still has the bone chips in his elbow to remember it by.

xbowx

SHSU90
December 3rd, 2021, 12:55 PM
Have heard from other SHSU fans of lots of stories of crazy behavior at Strawberry