PDA

View Full Version : Sean McDonnell retires at UNH.

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2021, 08:20 AM
Truly one of the good guys.

Coach Mac Retires - University of New Hampshire Athletics (unhwildcats.com) (https://unhwildcats.com/news/2021/12/1/CoachMacRetires.aspx)

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2021, 08:24 AM
...HE WAS UH PAIN IN DUH EGG-HOLE.......FO' HENS......xwavex.....AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2021, 08:26 AM
Cancer survivor and a helluva coach!

It will be interesting to see who UNH turns too. The Wildcat program has clearly slipped in recent years. UNH has a quite a bit of offer (flagship state school) but also has some major hurdles too. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Right now, Holy Cross (until Chesney leaves) is definitely the best playoff eligible program in New England.

HensRock
December 1st, 2021, 08:34 AM
I've always really respected Sean McDonnell. That guy did so much with so little.
As Tribe4FS said, definitely one of the good guys.

Happy retirement, coach!

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2021, 08:36 AM
Cancer survivor and a helluva coach!

It will be interesting to see who UNH turns too. The Wildcat program has clearly slipped in recent years. UNH has a quite a bit of offer (flagship state school) but also has some major hurdles too. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Right now, Holy Cross (until Chesney leaves) is definitely the best playoff eligible program in New England.

....NAW...IT'S UH GIVEN........COACH SANTOS........NEXT MAN UP........BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2021, 08:47 AM
....NAW...IT'S UH GIVEN........COACH SANTOS........NEXT MAN UP........BRAWK!

Fair enough, he was the interim coach 2 years ago. Wasn't sure if he was still on the staff. Be interesting to see how he does.....

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2021, 08:51 AM
....HE'S CURRENTLAH......ASST HEAD COACH......&....QB INSTRUCTOR.....................AWK!

Go Green
December 1st, 2021, 08:59 AM
Really a shame that he didn't go out on a higher note this season. He certainly won a lot of games against Dartmouth in his career.

dbackjon
December 1st, 2021, 09:05 AM
Great coach - enjoy your retirement!

caa51
December 1st, 2021, 09:27 AM
Great Coach, Better Man, Maker of Men!!! Best of luck and health in your retirement Coach Mac!!!

KPSUL
December 1st, 2021, 10:05 AM
I really appreciate all the great comments about Coach Mac you guys are making, and you are right on target - not much more to say.
We fully expect Ricky Santos to be named Head Coach at UNH in short order, the administration is likely just giving our iconic head coach a chance to recieve his congratulations and well wishes first.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2021, 10:10 AM
Congratulations on a fine career and have a long and great retirement Coach Mac!

BigCat
December 1st, 2021, 12:01 PM
Should probably hire Elon's HC Tony Trisciani. He's from Springfield and has a strong CAA recruiting ties to the area.

Daytripper
December 1st, 2021, 12:19 PM
Any chance they might reach out to Ryan Carty?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2021, 12:37 PM
I agree with KPSUL, our next head coach will be Ricky Santos. He has been the Head Coach in Waiting for some time now. His one year as Acting Head Coach IMHO just cemented his status as the next coach. And now with our AD retiring, I just don't see a search being initiated. It's Ricky's job!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2021, 12:51 PM
Truly one of the good guys.

Coach Mac Retires - University of New Hampshire Athletics (unhwildcats.com) (https://unhwildcats.com/news/2021/12/1/CoachMacRetires.aspx)

Very fitting that my friend Tribe4SF start this thread because his teammate and former Head Coach of the Tribe Jimmye Laycock had the utmost respect for Sean. Pretty sure it was a mutual admiration and that both coaches were friends.

I'll never forget a Saturday in Williamsburg quite a few years ago
now when Jimmye came out to the UNH bus after the game (a tough loss for UNH in the middle of a long losing streak to the Tribe) to talk with Sean. I had never seen that before and haven't seen it since that day. Two class acts for sure!

HensRock
December 1st, 2021, 01:28 PM
Nice to see UNH doing things the right way - Coach Mac grooming his own replacement from within the program.
What a novel idea !!!

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2021, 03:15 PM
I really appreciate all the great comments about Coach Mac you guys are making, and you are right on target - not much more to say.
We fully expect Ricky Santos to be named Head Coach at UNH in short order, the administration is likely just giving our iconic head coach a chance to recieve his congratulations and well wishes first.
Hey friend. A great HC. Im sure Santos will do well too

TribeNomad1
December 1st, 2021, 04:33 PM
Always had respect for coach M. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

NHwildEcat
December 1st, 2021, 07:36 PM
Will miss Coach Mac. Great man. It was a pleasure to just be able to witness that great run!

Excited to turn the page with Santos. Now, to get a health QB1 :)

- - - Updated - - -

Should probably hire Elon's HC Tony Trisciani. He's from Springfield and has a strong CAA recruiting ties to the area.

Love the name drop. His brother is currently on the staff as DII Saint Anselm, nice guy!

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 1st, 2021, 08:33 PM
Even though UNH teams had Maine's # for the past two decades had nothing but respect for Coach Mac. Such a class act and only hope he is retiring to relax and hope his retirement will be a happy and healthy one. Before Coach Cosgrove retired from Maine both Coach Mac as well as other long time CAA coaches really appreciated their battles and friendships they created.

ngineer
December 1st, 2021, 10:41 PM
Triscani is a good guy and did a nice job the short time he was at Lehigh and then left with Lembo for Elon.

NY Crusader 2010
December 2nd, 2021, 04:05 AM
Congrats to Coach Mac and best of luck to Santos, assuming the Wildcat legend is the guy. College football in New England is always better when UNH is winning and making the postseason.

I'm thrilled you have a succession plan with Ricky Santos as otherwise this job would very likely be Bob Chesney's to lose.

crusader11
December 2nd, 2021, 05:47 AM
What does UNH pay?

I’m not sure it would be lucrative enough to move Chesney out of Worcester.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2021, 07:14 AM
Very fitting that my friend Tribe4SF start this thread because his teammate and former Head Coach of the Tribe Jimmye Laycock had the utmost respect for Sean. Pretty sure it was a mutual admiration and that both coaches were friends.

I'll never forget a Saturday in Williamsburg quite a few years ago
now when Jimmye came out to the UNH bus after the game (a tough loss for UNH in the middle of a long losing streak to the Tribe) to talk with Sean. I had never seen that before and haven't seen it since that day. Two class acts for sure!

Those two are friends to this day. Saw their jobs through the same lens.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2021, 09:35 AM

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-new-hampshire-ricky-santos-new-head-coach

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2021, 01:10 PM
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-new-hampshire-ricky-santos-new-head-coach
Obvious choice. No question! Congrats HC Santos. When do we play the Cats again? We had a good game in Sept!

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2021, 01:19 PM
Obvious choice. No question! Congrats HC Santos. When do we play the Cats again? We had a good game in Sept!

....IFIN' HE COACHES..LIKE HE QB'ed......BETTERAH HIDE DUH WIVES AN' KIDDIES.....UH FARGO........AWK!!

......DAVID BALL....WR COACH??

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2021, 01:44 PM
Coach Mac is an incredible guy. I couldn't be happier that he is retiring healthy, he elevated this program to one of the most notable FCS programs today. I think hiring Ricky is a fantastic move for the program.

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2021, 01:47 PM
What does UNH pay?

I’m not sure it would be lucrative enough to move Chesney out of Worcester.

Coach Mac was making 290 with possibility of bonuses for league championship, playoffs etc...... I think Chesney does another year with HC then gets poached for somewhere else.