PDA

View Full Version : Butler Head Coaching Vacacny

acbearkat
November 30th, 2021, 02:29 PM
According to Football Scoop, Jeff Voris has resigned at Butler, so there's yet another head coaching vacancy.

Jeff Voris resigns at Butler - Footballscoop (https://footballscoop.com/news/jeff-voris-resigns-butler)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2021, 05:13 PM
One has to wonder what Butler is doing with their basketball money? It has to be re-invested back into athletics somehow (create pointless administrative positions at P5 schools) and the Bulldogs do not have a vast athletic program. They have a nice, but fairly small, stadium and I'm sure a loyal following if they have a product worth supporting. I can't help but think they have a fairly easy path to success with some (modest) ambition.

https://www.shawsportsturf.com/ShawSportsTurf/media/Original-Project-Photos/resized/Butler-University-Butler-Bowl.jpg

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2021, 05:26 PM
One has to wonder what Butler is doing with their basketball money? It has to be re-invested back into athletics somehow (create pointless administrative positions at P5 schools) and the Bulldogs do not have a vast athletic program. They have a nice, but fairly small, stadium and I'm sure a loyal following if they have a product worth supporting. I can't help but think they have a fairly easy path to success with some (modest) ambition.

Yeah, what about that other Big East school and their basketball money? They have a nice, but fairly small, stadium and I'm sure a loyal following if they have a product worth supporting. I can't help but think they have a fairly easy path to success with some (modest) ambition....just kidding.

The Butler Bowl was once a nice facility that kept getting cut and sliced back.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1468/9176/products/3e13a7ee-6ae3-4ec7-9156-3ba06d4d9e87_500x500.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Yeah, what about that other Big East school and their basketball money? They have a nice, but fairly small, stadium and I'm sure a loyal following if they have a product worth supporting. I can't help but think they have a fairly easy path to success with some (modest) ambition....never mind.

Indeed! I could have included Dayton (and considered it) but didn't. The reason Butler was specifically on my mind is in addition to reading this post, I'm watching them on FS1 against D2 Saginaw Valley State.

There are some significant differences between Butler and Georgetown. Ambition and leadership ultimately being the potential qualifier/equalizer like anywhere else....

I know the parents of a current Georgetown XC runner (father is faculty at U of Scranton); great insight. They went out to Butler this year for the Big East XC Championship. Loved the school...even though it's not Catholic xsmiley_wix:D

crusader11
November 30th, 2021, 05:40 PM
What’s the average heading coach salary for PFL schools? $150K?

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2021, 05:45 PM
There are some significant differences between Butler and Georgetown. Ambition and leadership ultimately being the potential qualifier/equalizer like anywhere else....I know the parents of a current Georgetown XC runner (father is faculty at U of Scranton); great insight. They went out to Butler this year for the Big East XC Championship.

Any insight appreciated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2021, 10:45 PM
Any insight appreciated.

Check your PM....

Bill
November 30th, 2021, 10:53 PM

Ok, but it's not like Butler is making money overall via their program...extra money to invest just isn't there. In fact, it's not there (as a department) for ANY FCS athletic department. As recently as 2019, not a single FCS school reported revenue that exceeded expense (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/Finances/2020RES_D1-RevExp_Report.pdf)s.

Sure, some of the individual teams have more revenue than expenses, but no one at that level is making money (and by the way, the same statement can be made about the D1 "basketball only" schools like Providence College or St. John's...not a single one of them had revenue exceeding expenses either).

edit - after the financial report was published in 2019, Gonzaga signed a deal with the WCC to give them a larger share of their conference revenue...so they may now be the one non football playing D1 school turning a modest profit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Ok, but it's not like Butler is making money overall via their program...extra money to invest just isn't there. In fact, it's not there (as a department) for ANY FCS athletic department. As recently as 2019, not a single FCS school reported revenue that exceeded expense (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/Finances/2020RES_D1-RevExp_Report.pdf)s.

Sure, some of the individual teams have more revenue than expenses, but no one at that level is making money (and by the way, the same statement can be made about the D1 "basketball only" schools like Providence College or St. John's...not a single one of them had revenue exceeding expenses either).

Bill,

I get that FCS football is a losing financial endeavor. Are you saying that every institution that has FCS football has an athletic department which loses money? I would have to dig deeper on those numbers because I was under the impression that (depending on athletic department structure) there's money (wealth) to be had with proper handling.

From simple accounting principles (non-profits) there has to be re-investment of "revenue". As private schools they might be able to allow themselves a little less transparency when it comes to "shuffling those deck chairs". Honestly, these are things I'm fascinated by and continue to research/learn more about.

I should also note, there's "indirect monetary" revenue that institutions gain due to athletics. That calculation is obviously based on indirect data (based on the "Flutie Effect"). There are people who care capable of mining for this "money" based on various metrics that can discern these dollars and cents.

I was never good with accounting/math/statistics/analytics. I know enough to hire people who are...lol

Bill
December 1st, 2021, 06:58 AM
Bill,

I get that FCS football is a losing financial endeavor. Are you saying that every institution that has FCS football has an athletic department which loses money? I would have to dig deeper on those numbers because I was under the impression that (depending on athletic department structure) there's money (wealth) to be had with proper handling.

From simple accounting principles (non-profits) there has to be re-investment of "revenue". As private schools they might be able to allow themselves a little less transparency when it comes to "shuffling those deck chairs". Honestly, these are things I'm fascinated by and continue to research/learn more about.

I should also note, there's "indirect monetary" revenue that institutions gain due to athletics. That calculation is obviously based on indirect data (based on the "Flutie Effect"). There are people who care capable of mining for this "money" based on various metrics that can discern these dollars and cents.

I was never good with accounting/math/statistics/analytics. I know enough to hire people who are...lol

Basically - yes! The link I put in the post is from the NCAA presentation on this...there are other sources with similar claims out there too.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2021, 08:22 AM
......EVEN IF DUH SPORTS PROGRAMS ARE UH DRAIN....ON DAT SIDE UH EQUATION........DEY'RE'S PROFIT....BEIN' MADE......IN STUDENT DRAW...........AWQ!

walliver
December 1st, 2021, 09:17 AM
At lower levels such as PFL, D2, and D3, there can be some money made by getting players to pay tuition to play football. this revenue, however, never appears on the athletic department balance sheet.

Football and men's basketball, and in special cases, women's basketball, hockey, lacrosse or baseball, may be profitable. But for most schools, everything besides football and men's basketball loses money.

Baron Sardonicus
December 1st, 2021, 02:47 PM
Voris is yet another victim of the Sports Illustrated jinx.

https://www.si.com/college/2018/09/06/butler-youngstown-state-upset-fcs-pioneer-league