PDA

View Full Version : Just say NO !

HensRock
September 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Lots of folks talking about how we can parlay ASU's historic win into more success and recognition for FCS. Michigan winning out would be great.

But Here's a scenario:
Appalachian State goes undefeated in the regular season and keeps the attention of the national media. They're invited to a $$$bowl game$$$ ... and they turn it down.

JUST SAY: "NO, We'd rather play for a TRUE National Championship!"

Appstate29
September 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Lots of folks talking about how we can parlay ASU's historic win into more success and recognition for FCS. Michigan winning out would be great.

But Here's a scenario:
Appalachian State goes undefeated in the regular season and keeps the attention of the national media. They're invited to a $$$bowl game$$$ ... and they turn it down.

Absolutely, we play for rings, not for the Toilet-Cleaner Target bowl runner up trophy!

Unless we get invited to the bcs national championship and Ohio St is the opponent so I can stuff my foot up herb kirkstreits ass

Seahawks Fan
September 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Can an FCS team be invited to a bowl game? xconfusedx

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM

probably not just like we cant be voted into their poll... but jeff sagarin said if both asu and mu go undefeated the rest of the year... asu could be ranked number one

andy7171
September 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
It's an exhibition game that the NCAA is not a part of. Unless something is stated specifically in the FCS rules I don't see why not. They would have to waive their playoff bid of course.

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
which asu would never do unless it was a bcs game which would never happen!

OhioHen
September 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM

An FCS team could be invited to a bowl game if it meets the minimum 7 wins against Division I teams, with a maximum of 1 of those wins being against a non-FBS team.

So the reality is No, an FCS team cannot be invited to a bowl game.

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It's an exhibition game that the NCAA is not a part of. Unless something is stated specifically in the FCS rules I don't see why not. They would have to waive their playoff bid of course.

Couldn't they play in both. The FCS playoffs end before the bowls even start. If App State played Ohio State, App State would be more ready since they had played every week and Ohio State had taken off 2 months.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2007, 11:05 AM

But Here's a scenario:

No way they have to make that decision. They won't be eligible for any bowl games because they won't have the necessary number of wins against FBS teams to be eligible. Six or seven or whatever the hell it is now.

Doc

Seahawks Fan
September 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
An FCS team could be invited to a bowl game if it meets the minimum 7 wins against Division I teams, with a maximum of 1 of those wins being against a non-FBS team.

Several teams last year that went to bowl games did not have 7 wins. How is that?

Iowa (Alamo Bowl)

Minnesota (Insight Bowl)

New Mexico (New Mexico Bowl)

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2006_archive_bowls.html

OL FU
September 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM

But Here's a scenario:

Let's don't get ahead of ourselves here. xeyebrowx

AZGrizFan
September 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
probably not just like we cant be voted into their poll... but jeff sagarin said if both asu and mu go undefeated the rest of the year... asu could be ranked number one

I doubt it, given their relative strength of schedules..... xrolleyesx ;)

OL FU
September 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Time to take Sagarin out of the GPIxrolleyesx

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Several teams last year that went to bowl games did not have 7 wins. How is that?

Iowa (Alamo Bowl)

Minnesota (Insight Bowl)

New Mexico (New Mexico Bowl)

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2006_archive_bowls.html

The minimum for a bowl game is 6 wins. That was set when teams still played only 11 games, so 6 wins would be a winning season. Now that most teams play 12 games, 6 wins is only .500, but the rule hasn't changed, so 6-6 teams go to bowls in order to fill out all the slots.

And I find it hard to believe they could play in both. Winning the National Title would give the Mounties a 15 game season. Adding another game, which while it could be an exciting matchup, would still be anti-climatic, and their 16th game of the season. I know it happens from time to time here in FCS (Colgate and Delaware played 16 back in '03), but it's still a lot of football to be played for anyone.

AZGrizFan
September 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The minimum for a bowl game is 6 wins. That was set when teams still played only 11 games, so 6 wins would be a winning season. Now that most teams play 12 games, 6 wins is only .500, but the rule hasn't changed, so 6-6 teams go to bowls in order to fill out all the slots.

And I find it hard to believe they could play in both. Winning the National Title would give the Mounties a 15 game season. Adding another game, which while it could be an exciting matchup, would still be anti-climatic, and their 16th game of the season. I know it happens from time to time here in FCS (Colgate and Delaware played 16 back in '03), but it's still a lot of football to be played for anyone.

The minimum for a bowl game is 6 I-A wins, I believe. ;)

EmeryZach
September 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah. They can not be invited to any of the bowls. But, lets say, some really rich guy wants to pay both App State and some FBS team to play (after all the bowls) I think that is possible. But the NCAA would probably freak out and stop it from happening. But I would love to see the Ted Turner Bowl, or the Bill Gates Bowl, after the season and it would have a App State vs Michigan rematch.

CID1990
September 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM

1. The Citadel beat Tennessee Tech in the 1960 Tangerine Bowl (27-0) in Orlando, FL.

2. If a SoCon team goes 7-3, then they have beaten 7 Division I foes.

No_Skill
September 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM

No.

We Bison fans know this topic well from last season. I'm not sure on the numbers, but you have to win at least 5 or 6 FBS games to qualify for a bowl.

HIU 93
September 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM

No. You must have six FBS wins to get invited to a bowl game. In 1994, the Liberty Bowl committee toyed with the idea of inviting Alcorn State (quaterbacked by Steve McNair), but NCAA rules prohibited it, and Alcorn played in the playoffs that year against Jim Tressle's Youngstown team.

HIU 93
September 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
1. The Citadel beat Tennessee Tech in the 1960 Tangerine Bowl (27-0) in Orlando, FL.

The Tangerine Bowl was a "College Division" (now FCS, Div. II, and Div III teams) bowl. Morgan State won a Tangerine Bowl in the 60's as well.

CID1990
September 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
The Tangerine Bowl was a "College Division" (now FCS, Div. II, and Div III teams) bowl. Morgan State won a Tangerine Bowl in the 60's as well.

Hey, it was worth a try! xsmiley_wix

DUPFLFan
September 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
App state has about as much chance of being invited to an FBS bowl game as a PFL team has to get invited to the playoffs...

It's amazing to me how people on this board will diss the PFL while secretly hoping that their team is invited to a FBS bowl.

Seahawks Fan
September 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
App state has about as much chance of being invited to an FBS bowl game as a PFL team has to get invited to the playoffs...

It's amazing to me how people on this board will diss the PFL while secretly hoping that their team is invited to a FBS bowl.

The question isn't whether ASU would be invited to a bowl, it's can it be invited? The answer is no.

CID1990
September 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Um. Aren't you guys in the Southern Conference? Why won't you come out and play football with us?

Oh. Nevermind. Wrong "D".

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I think you would only have to win 5 games against FBS opponents because the sixth could be against an FCS one, so a team like Minnesota last year went 6-6 with one win over NDSU, but Michigan still has to win six.

lizrdgizrd
September 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Of course that was before 1978 when DI was subdivided into IA and IAA. xreadx

AshevilleApp
September 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Bowl schmoll there are too many bowls in the FCS anyway.....I'd say limit them to 5 or 6 bowls but that will never happen due to the money made by bowls.

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Bowl schmoll there are too many bowls in the FCS anyway.....I'd say limit them to 5 or 6 bowls but that will never happen due to the money made by bowls.

lots of bowls in boone too! i imagine most were lit up sat nite!

ysubigred
September 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM

xdohx I mean xdohx but xdohx LOL good one CD

EmeryZach
September 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Guys, seriously, it can't happen, against the rules, thats final.

mistersykes
September 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM

xlolx

NorCalJack
September 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Maybe Michigan should have scheduled two FCS schools this year. They have a 50-50 chance of winning one of those games.xlolx xlolx xlolx

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Maybe Michigan should have scheduled two FCS schools this year. They have a 50-50 chance of winning one of those games.xlolx xlolx xlolx

What if you lose both? Then you have to 6-4 on the rest of your schedule.