PDA

View Full Version : Travel Squad Limit(s)

carney2
September 6th, 2007, 08:56 AM
This came up on the Lafayette board:

The Patriot League apparently sets a travel squad limit of 58 "dressed" players. What is the NCAA limit? How is it worded (i.e., is the word "dressed" in there or is there a firm limit on the number of bodies that can make the trip at school expense)?

I am assuming that the PL limit is lower than the NCAA limit or else it wouldn't work - and they wouldn't need their own set of rules it it's the same. Do other leagues have limits of their own? Does everything default to the NCAA rule in inter-conference games; does the home team's rule apply; is it "negotiated" in the game contract?

The minutia of a small mind.

andy7171
September 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Interesting, I think it's up to the school doing the traveling. I remember the traveling team at Towson being 7-8 players smaller when flying compared to bussing to away games.

jmuroller
September 6th, 2007, 09:21 AM
There is no NCAA limit on how many players a team can take on an away game. Basically all conferences have limits. The CAA's is 56. They do this so teams can't bring 70 players on an away game and others can only bring less than 60 for budget reasons. Some schools have alot bigger rosters because they have a large number of walkons. It's good to keep the number set for all schools. The number goes up and down for each conference, but most of them are in the 56-60 range

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM
i have no idea but i think i heard that 65??? players went to michigan but that is so like fifth person info so i am not sure if it is right

gsuwinsudont
September 6th, 2007, 09:44 AM
i have no idea but i think i heard that 65??? players went to michigan but that is so like fifth person info so i am not sure if it is right

The SoCon limit is indeed 65.

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM
wow good call on my part!

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
If the SoCon limit is 65, could App State have taken more than that to Michigan.

Go...gate
September 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM

I have heard this number as the set limit, as well. I think the Ivy and Patriot use 58 by mutual agreement.

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
56 is also the limit you can dress for a playoff game...home or away. That's an NCAA rule.