PDA

View Full Version : AGS Playoff Bracket Challenge - After 1st Round, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
November 28th, 2021, 11:20 AM
The scores have been tabulated, and taper is our leader in the clubhouse after the 1st Round with a 91 (out of 120 possible points).

A quick shoutout to paward and Puddin Tane for picking Tennessee-Martin over Missouri State. Of course this was tainted a bit by them also picking Florida A&M and UC Davis, respectively. ;)

Also, a shoutout to OhioHen and Roamingriz for having the best score predictions, and taper had the best margin predictions.

Below are the overall results after the 1st Round. In the Google Sheet in my signature, the raw data sheets for score and margin differential are hidden, but if people want, I can display them (just hid them for simplicity). Just let me know.

Player
1st Round

taper

OhioHen

Chalupa Batman

KsawOwls

Hambone

ElCid

Roamingriz

dewey

crusader11

FCSbuff319

Carolina010

Go Lehigh TU owl

POD Knows

Griz23

paward

TheValleyRaider

CenMEBlackBearFan

HootyHoo

Mfergy4

MSUBobcat

mvemjsunpx

Preferred Walk-On

Prime Power

ST_Lawson

Bisonator

CockyGeek

Karl Havoc

katss07

Professor Chaos

putter

HensRock

MR. CHICKEN

wapiti

Katfan

mvfcfan

RabidRabbit

caribbeanhen

NOLA

THE DANIMAL

atthewbon

Daytripper

JacksFan40

Pitz

grizband

MSUWineGuy

GoBlueHens83

Libertine

Catbooster

BigBlueMU

MSUDuo

MTfan4life

Puddin Tane

bobcathpdevil56

ming01

bonarae

JSUSoutherner

footballer23

Anthony215

bob12

dgtw

Drblankstare

Gangtackle11

McNeese75

NY Crusader 2010

PantherRob82

SpreadTheWord

TheKingpin28

HensRock
November 28th, 2021, 08:27 PM
So... how is scoring handled when a different team is in a slot than you expected.
As an example, let's say I picked SFA to beat Incarnate Word. Then, in the second round I had SFA (in the slot which UIW now occupies) beating Sam Houston 35 to 25.
And Let's say Incarnate Word beats Sam Houston 41 to 31 in the second round game. Do I...
1. Get 10 points for a 2nd round win?
2. Get 6 points for a 12-point score difference?
3. Get 10 points for getting the margin correct?

or does it actually have to be the right team to get any points?

Prime Power
November 28th, 2021, 11:30 PM
The scores have been tabulated, and taper is our leader in the clubhouse after the 1st Round with a 91 (out of 120 possible points).

A quick shoutout to paward and Puddin Tane for picking Tennessee-Martin over Missouri State. Of course this was tainted a bit by them also picking Florida A&M and UC Davis, respectively. ;)

Also, a shoutout to KsawOwls and Roamingriz for having the best score predictions, and although I stuck my neck out on Sacred Heart (and of course, was bitten by Missouri State), I managed to have the best margin predictions, but only one point better than taper.

Below are the overall results after the 1st Round. In the Google Sheet in my signature, the raw data sheets for score and margin differential are hidden, but if people want, I can display them (just hid them for simplicity). Just let me know.

Player
1st Round

taper

OhioHen

Chalupa Batman

KsawOwls

Hambone

ElCid

Roamingriz

dewey

crusader11

FCSbuff319

Carolina010

Go Lehigh TU owl

POD Knows

Griz23

paward

TheValleyRaider

CenMEBlackBearFan

HootyHoo

Mfergy4

MSUBobcat

mvemjsunpx

Preferred Walk-On

Prime Power

ST_Lawson

Bisonator

CockyGeek

Karl Havoc

katss07

Professor Chaos

putter

HensRock

MR. CHICKEN

wapiti

Katfan

mvfcfan

RabidRabbit

caribbeanhen

NOLA

THE DANIMAL

atthewbon

Daytripper

JacksFan40

Pitz

grizband

MSUWineGuy

GoBlueHens83

Libertine

Catbooster

BigBlueMU

MSUDuo

MTfan4life

Puddin Tane

bobcathpdevil56

ming01

bonarae

JSUSoutherner

footballer23

Anthony215

bob12

dgtw

Drblankstare

Gangtackle11

McNeese75

NY Crusader 2010

PantherRob82

SpreadTheWord

TheKingpin28

I would love to see how the scoring works. I guess point margin is more important than picking the actual winner. Kinda weird.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 11:32 PM
So... how is scoring handled when a different team is in a slot than you expected.
As an example, let's say I picked SFA to beat Incarnate Word. Then, in the second round I had SFA (in the slot which UIW now occupies) beating Sam Houston 35 to 25.
And Let's say Incarnate Word beats Sam Houston 41 to 31 in the second round game. Do I...

I believe you get zero points for the team advancing, and you would get the points earned for total score and margin.

Preferred Walk-On
November 29th, 2021, 07:27 AM

I believe you get zero points for the team advancing, and you would get the points earned for total score and margin.

CB is correct here. Once a team is eliminated, they (or the team in their slot) cannot garner you any more points. However, the losing team IS sliding in to that slot regarding score prediction and margin. So in the instance above, one would receive 0 pt for 2nd round win, 6 pt for score prediction, and 10 pt for margin prediction (like Chalupa indicated). This is a way for someone who has picked the team incorrectly to still stay in the game to the end. Ultimately, however, that player will have a difficult time "keeping up" with just score and margin predictions (unless they are an extremely awesome predictor, which in that case, they probably should have at least gotten the teams correct, right?). ;)

I would love to see how the scoring works. I guess point margin is more important than picking the actual winner. Kinda weird.

In theory, one could earn more points from point margin and score prediction; however, not having correct picks will already put that player at a disadvantage (missing 1/3 the possible points for that game). Based on 1st Round results, this really does not seem to be a major concern. Ultimately, I think that the person that picks the most correct picks (or very, very close to the most correct picks), including the champion, will win the contest, but we'll see I guess.

I will reveal the hidden sheets. The sheets are as follows:

Standings: sheet where scoreboard is sorted.

Overall Total (with Correct, Score, and Margin): similar to 'Standings' sheet, but just tallies overall score and shows score per game for each player.

Player Picks: shows who each player picked for each game.

Pick Ratio: shows the breakdown of picks by round.

Correct: shows the points awarded to each player for a correct pick for each game.

Tally of Score Differential: mathematical calculation of actual score difference for each game and player.
Converted Score Differential: conversion of score differences into points for each player (this is used in overall score calculation).

Tally of Margin Differential: mathematical calculation of actual margin difference for each game and player.
Converted Margin Differential: conversion of margin differences into points for each player (this is used in overall score calculation).

Official Results: sheet showing actual final scores and teams advancing (this is the sheet from which all calculations are based off of).

Players' Brackets: the remaining sheets are individual players' brackets (differences from the 'Official Results' sheet are used in the calculations).

Positive and Negative Control Brackets: used to help ensure that the sheets and calculations are working properly.

Basically, I enter the game scores after each game into the 'Official Results' sheet, and Google Sheets does the remainder of the calculations. However, if you do see an error, please do not hesitate to let me know.

HensRock
November 29th, 2021, 11:06 AM
Thanks. That makes sense and that is what I assumed would be the case, but just wanted to get it official.

Preferred Walk-On
November 29th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Thanks. That makes sense and that is what I assumed would be the case, but just wanted to get it official.

Had actually gone back-and-forth with how to do the score and margin differentials. Decided that they needed to continue and not necessarily be tied to a team, otherwise, we could just pick winners and championship score and call it a day.

Felt there would be much more interest if one was not immediately out of it, even after some of their picks had been eliminated. Also, theoretically, if you picked SFA to win, then win again, then is there a really good reason for why the team that beats SFA shouldn't (couldn't) have the same success? Of course, one can make many arguments for/against this logic, but ultimately it is why even if a players loses a team(s) in a particular part of the bracket, scoring for the fill-in(s) (just not the fill-in(s) itself) is still considered.

Still, losing a team means losing at least 1/3 of the points for that particular game and starting with a 1/3 deficiency for potential points for the next game that team would have been involved in (if picked as the winner). I think even with accruing points via score and margin differential, it is still quite challenging (although not impossible) to make up for a lack of correct winner picks.

The point is, nobody is out of it at this point (unless you did not make picks), but those that make correct picks with good score predictions should eventually distance themselves from the field...that is my hope anyway.

paward
November 30th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Florida A&M winning first FCS/Division II Championship has gotten its last legend vote from me. What’s my name Pudding Tane is always shadowing me.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2021, 06:22 AM
Florida A&M winning first FCS/Division II Championship has gotten its last legend vote from me. What’s my name Pudding Tane is always shadowing me.

You are forgiven for picking Florida A&M, but UC Davis? not good paw

Preferred Walk-On
December 1st, 2021, 09:20 AM
You are forgiven for picking Florida A&M, but UC Davis? not good paw

paward had South Dakota State. It was Puddin Tane that picked Tennessee-Martin, but also picked UC Davis (prevented an all correct week for Puddin).

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2021, 10:41 AM
paward had South Dakota State. It was Puddin Tane that picked Tennessee-Martin, but also picked UC Davis (prevented an all correct week for Puddin).

gotcha, Paward to smart to pickin UC Davis

ElCid
December 5th, 2021, 12:39 AM
I took a look at the sheet just to see how the field was doing, and I could be wrong, but I think you are using the point totals for score MOV and total differential from round one instead of round two. Only reason I noticed was I tracked my picks and it was half what I thought it would be. I got an 11 on one and saw 3 points instead of 6. Do I have it wrong?

Example
3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 pt (depending on round) - within 11-15 points of actual score

Preferred Walk-On
December 5th, 2021, 06:29 AM
I took a look at the sheet just to see how the field was doing, and I could be wrong, but I think you are using the point totals for score MOV and total differential from round one instead of round two. Only reason I noticed was I tracked my picks and it was half what I thought it would be. I got an 11 on one and saw 3 points instead of 6. Do I have it wrong?

Example
3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 pt (depending on round) - within 11-15 points of actual score

ElCid, thank you for finding this mistake in calculations. It affected everyone equally (in that the same equation was applied to everyone), but it also meant that margin scores were unequally weighted for those that nailed them vs. those that didn't (they got 10, whereas others did not get as much as they should have). I have gone in and corrected the mistake, but just wanted to point out that it is 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 pt, since it was the 2nd round. I do appreciate the double-check of the sheet. Thanks again.