PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 2: Incarnate Word @ #1 Sam Houston

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Game kicks off at 2PM CT on Saturday 12/3. It's the incoming WAC team vs the departing WAC team.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51709910427_95b0a1977d_z.jpg

Daytripper
November 27th, 2021, 08:00 PM
I think we match up better against UIW than SFA. I will take it.

McNeese75
November 27th, 2021, 11:59 PM
Man press the receivers, send the house after Ward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 07:05 AM
I think we match up better against UIW than SFA. I will take it.

Better not be sleep walking like the Monmouth game last year, IW could jump up early and you will be in for a battle

The Cats
November 28th, 2021, 07:45 AM
done

Daytripper
November 28th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Our front 4 should be able to get pressure on Ward without blitzing. If not, it could be a high-scoring, long day for the Bearkats.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Really interested to see how SHSU's defense does against UIW. This is by far the best offense they've seen. I think SHSU scores enough to win but I think they could give up more points than usual for them.

SHSU90
November 28th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Really interested to see how SHSU's defense does against UIW. This is by far the best offense they've seen. I think SHSU scores enough to win but I think they could give up more points than usual for them.

Possibly in the Spring our D Line dominated the game and it was not close 42-14
I like us to score 42 again

Katfan
November 28th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Probably not we’ve played them before!

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Probably not we’ve played them before!

Yeah I meant this season.

Possibly in the Spring our D Line dominated the game and it was not close 42-14
I like us to score 42 again

And we all know that rematches ALWAYS go the exact same way the 1st game did.

Katfan
November 28th, 2021, 04:03 PM

I know what you meant but I’m not sure why you expect it to be much different. It will be different but they were dominated in that game and I saw nothing yesterday that makes me think the outcome will be much different

lion4life
November 28th, 2021, 04:07 PM
This is a much better UIW team than in the spring. I like SHSU to win but it will be closer than the Spring matchup. Cameron Ward is a stud but he’s not the same player away from San Antonio

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 04:09 PM
I know what you meant but I’m not sure why you expect it to be much different. It will be different but they were dominated in that game and I saw nothing yesterday that makes me think the outcome will be much different

What he said:

This is a much better UIW team than in the spring. I like SHSU to win but it will be closer than the Spring matchup. Cameron Ward is a stud but he’s not the same player away from San Antonio

I got something like 42-31

Katfan
November 28th, 2021, 04:12 PM
What he said:

I got something like 42-31
If they score 31 I’ll be very surprised. Ward will get his yards but I don’t see them scoring more against Sam than they did against SFA in regulation

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 04:24 PM
If they score 31 I’ll be very surprised. Ward will get his yards but I don’t see them scoring more against Sam than they did against SFA in regulation

You’re scoring defense in conference games is pretty close to SFA’s. Including Dixie Normous State and Tarlton it’s almost identical. So I guess they don’t get 31 they only get 27.

Katfan
November 28th, 2021, 04:38 PM
You’re scoring defense in conference games is pretty close to SFA’s. Including Dixie Normous State and Tarlton it’s almost identical. So I guess they don’t get 31 they only get 27.
Now your being rational!

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2021, 07:20 PM
SHSU opens as a 13 point favorite on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php) with an O/U of 63.5.

Daytripper
November 28th, 2021, 09:19 PM
SHSU opens as a 13 point favorite on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php) with an O/U of 63.5.

Take SHSU points and the under..

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2021, 08:49 AM
Sam should have no problem in this one, against a good team.

katss07
November 29th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Their defense is much improved and has progressively got better through the season. If Schmid starts slow as he has most of the year we could be down early. Our secondary is already a weakness and it’s fairly banged up, think Downes is out for the year and Tristan McCollum went down vs ACU so that could give Incarnate Word a chance. Just hope we’re able to slow down Kevin Brown and neutralize Ward in the running game. If we can make their offense one dimensional we’ll be fine IMO.

Really looking forward to this one. UIW is the toughest team we’ve faced all year and will be our biggest test to date. And good on them for getting here, shows how far they’ve come as a football program. People can hate on their facilities or the SLC for adding them but they’re playing winning football.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2021, 11:01 AM

xsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

BNATION
December 2nd, 2021, 08:12 AM
44-23 Kats. Didn't see anything from them that tells me we wont be harassing Ward with a 4 man rush. We have arguably the best D-Line in FCS, UIW will move the ball and will have some success throwing the football, but once in the redzone and the field gets smaller for them I think they will be kicking a lot of field goals. Look for Eric to have a big game with his legs and the Kats roll at Bowers per the usual.

katss07
December 2nd, 2021, 02:57 PM
Yeah the real question is who will we play in Frisco lol

McCowboys
December 3rd, 2021, 09:09 AM
Courtesy of the Dunkel Index:
Incarnate Word at Sam Houston State
Time: 3:00 pm ET
Dunkel Ratings: Incarnate Word 67.729; Sam Houston State 87.560
Dunkel Line & Total: Sam Houston State by 20; 62
Vegas Line & Total: Sam Houston State by 13 ½; 53 ½
Dunkel Pick: Sam Houston State (-13 ½); Over

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 02:46 PM
7 penalties for Incarnate Word so far and we have over 2 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Courtesy of the Dunkel Index:
Incarnate Word at Sam Houston State
Time: 3:00 pm ET
Dunkel Ratings: Incarnate Word 67.729; Sam Houston State 87.560
Dunkel Line & Total: Sam Houston State by 20; 62
Vegas Line & Total: Sam Houston State by 13 ½; 53 ½
Dunkel Pick: Sam Houston State (-13 ½); Over

Damn the Philly Inquirer used to run Dunkels on Saturday AM paper. I havent seen Dunkel name in like 30 years! I thought the dude had died lol

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 04:23 PM
Start of the 2nd half with SHSU leading 31-21.

UIW QB Ward was 26-42 in the 1st half, on pace for more throws than Barriere last night.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Sammy better wake up

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 04:56 PM
I’m surprised there was no targeting review there.

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Does the SHSU football program provide heart medication for their fans? Jeesh. Another tight game.

Dewey

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Touchdown Word!

35-34 Word leading early in the 4th quarter.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:07 PM
UIW scores on a long pass play in the first play of the 4th. 35-34 Cardinals with 14:52 left.

Bison56
December 4th, 2021, 05:08 PM
Upset alert!

acbearkat
December 4th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Incarnate Word is a bad matchup for us. SFA would have been a better matchup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Schimd is tough, taking some vicious hits in this game

Nickels
December 4th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Incarnate Word is a bad matchup for us. SFA would have been a better matchup.

Agreed. For whatever reason, the majority of our fans were saying the opposite. Never understood why.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:28 PM
Sam scores a TD and gets the 2 pointer.

Ward throws a long TD pass on the first play after the kickoff. Tied at 42 with 8 minutes left.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Boom! TD UIW!!

knit35
December 4th, 2021, 05:29 PM
Lets go UIW

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:36 PM
I don’t think the Cardinals are getting the ball back.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Agreed. For whatever reason, the majority of our fans were saying the opposite. Never understood why.

because your fans are not the brightest shining stars in the galaxy

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2021, 05:40 PM
UIW likely would have been better off if the SHSU player scored....

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:42 PM
UIW likely would have been better off if the SHSU player scored....

Cardinals agree, they let Schmid score on the next play.

49-42 with 2:07 left.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Free timeout for UIW here during targeting review. Maybe 10 free yards too.

dewey
December 4th, 2021, 05:49 PM
That shouldn't be targeting.

IUW at the SHSU 19 1:00 to go 4th quarter.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Incarnate Word might score too quickly.

Go Lehigh TU owl
That was a brutal call imo....and I'm pulling for the Catholic school from Texas....

dewey
Bad call on the targeting....

Dewey

acbearkat
December 4th, 2021, 05:51 PM
How did the replay booth call that targeting?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2021, 05:52 PM
UIW QB stopped short (in a bad way) on 4th down!

Or was he? Ball might have crossed the goal line?!?!

FUBeAR
December 4th, 2021, 05:53 PM
OMG - FUBeAR doesn’t care who wins this game and came here to see y’all were laughing at the SHSU homer announcers saying it wasn’t targeting.

Textbook targeting. No doubt about it.

dewey
IUW gets stopped in 4th down at the SHSU 1 on the QB draw play. SHSU survives and advances....again.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
Another cardiac finish for the Bearkats.

Professor Chaos
Why are these announcers so adamant that the UIW ball carrier needed to get out of bounds there? They had all sorts of time to get lined up for the 3rd and 4th down plays. Those were the last two plays they were going to run anyway.

BisonFan02
This game is setting defense back a few decades. xlolx

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 05:59 PM
OMG - FUBeAR doesn’t care who wins this game and came here to see y’all were laughing at the SHSU homer announcers saying it wasn’t targeting.

Textbook targeting. No doubt about it.

That’s exactly what my brother and I were saying watching this game, how much in the bag the announcers were for SHSU.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 06:00 PM
Why are these announcers so adamant that the UIW ball carrier needed to get out of bounds there? They had all sorts of time to get lined up for the 3rd and 4th down plays. Those were the last two plays they were going to run anyway.

Those announcers, like most they give FCS games, are dumbasses.

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Shame UIW coaching staff didn't school them on the importance of the side lines.. Fun game to watch..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

katss07
December 4th, 2021, 06:10 PM
Hell of a game, Kats escape another close playoff game with a win at home! Congratulations to UIW on a hell of a season. Bearkat fans have a lot of respect for what Morris is building in San Antonio! Glad our defense got to face a top 5 quarterback, we’ll be better for it in the long run.

kdinva
December 4th, 2021, 06:25 PM

true, the guys calling the ETSU/KSU game didn't know that NDSU would host next week..... seven seed @ two seed.....xsighx

Bearkat04
December 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Came here to see everyone roasting us for scoring there at the end. Unbelievable that we wouldn’t take 3 knees and kick a fg to either walk it off or little time left for uiw. We went from a no lose situation to potentially giving up a 2 point conversion to lose 50-49.
I need to hear this question asked to keeler. Either he or Schmid royally screwed that up

katss07
December 4th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Came here to see everyone roasting us for scoring there at the end. Unbelievable that we wouldn’t take 3 knees and kick a fg to either walk it off or little time left for uiw. We went from a no lose situation to potentially giving up a 2 point conversion to lose 50-49.
I need to hear this question asked to keeler. Either he or Schmid royally screwed that up
I was also a bit surprised that Keeler didn’t use his final timeout with about 30 seconds left in the game before the fourth and goal. Would’ve left time for 4-5 plays for us to get into FG range if necessary.

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 06:55 PM

The fact that you guys had to consider doing that against the 'word because of an almost certainty that they would score another TD with 2 mins left and 1 time out should give you some pause.

Bearkat04
December 4th, 2021, 07:01 PM
The fact that you guys had to consider doing that against the 'word because of an almost certainty that they would score another TD with 2 mins left and 1 time out should give you some pause.

Consider what? I’m not following you?

Good game management would’ve been score the td on third down since they were letting us. Or potentially walk it off for a fg. We have uiw the ball back which is asinine in a 1 score game no matter who you’re playing

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Consider what? I’m not following you?

Good game management would’ve been score the td on third down since they were letting us. Or potentially walk it off for a fg. We have uiw the ball back which is asinine in a 1 score game no matter who you’re playing

Don't get me wrong....don't disagree with you about running the clock out for a chip shot FG (assuming you make it versus the gift points by UIW). Both teams didn't show much on the defensive side of the ball....horrific tackling...not much faith in your defense to hold a TD lead at the end is where I was going with it.

Bearkat04
December 4th, 2021, 07:17 PM
Don't get me wrong....don't disagree with you about running the clock out for a chip shot FG (assuming you make it versus the gift points by UIW). Both teams didn't show much on the defensive side of the ball....horrific tackling...not much faith in your defense to hold a TD lead at the end is where I was going with it.

Never said I didn’t have faith. But that wasn’t even necessary. Just terrible game management I’m that one moment from either keeler carty or Schmid. The two most valuable things for uiw in that instance were time and the ball and we have them both.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I thought it was smart to run the ball on 3rd down (not so much on 4th down) to get the clock moving if they didn't get into the endzone since if they scored there they would've given SHSU a minute to drive down themselves and kick a FG.

acbearkat
December 4th, 2021, 07:29 PM
Don’t be surprised if Cameron Ward’s name is called in the 2024 NFL Draft. That dude can play.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:29 PM

i just find it funny that nobody has talked about the Montana EWU game that was the same type of game. I guess Montana has a trash defense and JMU should win easily right?

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I thought it was smart to run the ball on 3rd down (not so much on 4th down) to get the clock moving if they didn't get into the endzone since if they scored there they would've given SHSU a minute to drive down themselves and kick a FG.

Yeah they had the whole playbook to work with after that bogus (IMO) targeting call gave them 1st & goal. UIW is always running plays at a fast pace so they had plenty of time. Even the guy not getting out of bounds on 3rd down was no big deal.

ysubigred
December 4th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Don’t be surprised if Cameron Ward’s name is called in the 2024 NFL Draft. That dude can play.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBest QB I've seen all year [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 07:32 PM
i just find it funny that nobody has talked about the Montana EWU game that was the same type of game. I guess Montana has a trash defense and JMU should win easily right?

Probably. EWU plays about as much defense as you guys do. xlolx

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Probably. EWU plays about as much defense as you guys do. xlolx
Enough to completely shut y’all down in the spring….

Daytripper
December 4th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Our defense is great when we are up against a run-heavy team or a balanced offense. We force them to pass more than they are comfortable with. The problem is when we encounter offenses like UIW's and a f***ing freak of a QB like Ward. That is best single performance I have seen by a visiting QB in the last 10 years. USD's Streveler comes close.

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Enough to completely shut y’all down in the spring….

Many teams did that to us in the spring. That'll happen when your former redshirt freshman QB gets drafted and the team is a shell of itself. xlolx

We'll see.....just hold up your end of the bargain and make frisco.

Katfan
December 4th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Many teams did that to us in the spring. That'll happen when your former redshirt freshman QB gets drafted and the team is a shell of itself. xlolx

We'll see.....just hold up your end of the bargain and make frisco.
Curious! This officiating crew was MVFC. I’ll say in watching games for over 50 years this may have been the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen. Is this typical in your league games?

acbearkat
December 4th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Curious! This officiating crew was MVFC. I’ll say in watching games for over 50 years this may have been the worst officiated game I’ve ever seen. Is this typical in your league games?

Have you watched Big 12 games and did you watch the officiating atrocity that was the SFA game?

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Our defense is great when we are up against a run-heavy team or a balanced offense. We force them to pass more than they are comfortable with. The problem is when we encounter offenses like UIW's and a f***ing freak of a QB like Ward. That is best single performance I have seen by a visiting QB in the last 10 years. USD's Streveler comes close.

Your rushing defense is going to be tested next week more than any other game this season. MSU's running game is excellent, and even if you shut them down early MSU is stubborn enough to stick with it plus they're smart enough to know they can't really pass anyway.

Katfan
December 4th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Have you watched Big 12 games and did you watch the officiating atrocity that was the SFA game?

Yes and this was terrible

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 07:44 PM

Montana allowed 5.58 yards per play and forced 2 turnovers last night, you guys allowed 7.23 yards per play and forced no turnovers today. xcoffeex

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Montana allowed 5.58 yards per play and forced 2 turnovers last night, you guys allowed 7.23 yards per play and forced no turnovers today. xcoffeex
Both are atrocious numbers. Best thing is, next week we play another one and the playoffs are about advancing. We also almost lost to Monmouth last spring…

Preferred Walk-On
December 4th, 2021, 07:50 PM

Of course it was.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Both are atrocious numbers. Best thing is, next week we play another one and the playoffs are about advancing. We also almost lost to Monmouth last spring…

Your half right. The first number would rank 63rd in the nation this year, which is bad. The 2nd number would rank DEAD LAST in the nation this year, which is atrocious.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:54 PM
Your half right. The first number would rank 63rd in the nation this year, which is bad. The 2nd number would rank DEAD LAST in the nation this year, which is atrocious.
It’s one game against one of the top Offenses in FCS

katss07
December 4th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Your rushing defense is going to be tested next week more than any other game this season. MSU's running game is excellent, and even if you shut them down early MSU is stubborn enough to stick with it plus they're smart enough to know they can't really pass anyway.
It was tested in the spring and held up. Held up against Kevin Brown today too. Not at all a concern.

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 07:58 PM
It’s one game against one of the top Offenses in FCS

Yes it is, and you guys will bounce back. Just pointing out that EWU had to work much, much harder for everything they got last night than what the Cardinals got today.

BNATION
December 4th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Yes it is, and you guys will bounce back. Just pointing out that EWU had to work much, much harder for everything they got last night than what the Cardinals got today.
No doubt UIW moved the football with ease all night. Very frustrating.

Katfan
December 4th, 2021, 08:16 PM
True but their drives were greatly aided by penalties. Either we played our worst game or officiating was terrible or a combination of both. At any rat I don’t see that happening again.

- - - Updated - - -

True but their drives were greatly aided by penalties. Either we played our worst game or officiating was terrible or a combination of both. At any rat I don’t see that happening again.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2021, 10:46 PM

Oh yeah - the worst

McCowboys
December 7th, 2021, 06:13 AM
Damn the Philly Inquirer used to run Dunkels on Saturday AM paper. I havent seen Dunkel name in like 30 years! I thought the dude had died lol

It used to run in papers I read in Thursday's editions long, long ago. It is online now at www.dunkelindex.com

BNATION
December 7th, 2021, 07:03 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve heard a lot of SH fans talking about the penalty aided drives. While we had some penalties on the defensive side of the ball, but those were all legit calls. If anything I thought that the Refs hammered UIW on holding calls for the majority of the game. It was an evenly called bad game for both teams. UIW did not score 42 points because of the officiating. It was because we are terrible in pass defense.

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2021, 07:58 AM

....AH KINDAH REMEMBER...NEWS JOURNAL.....ON TUESDAYS....MAYBE WEDNESDAY.......SATURDAY MORN.....TOO LATE FO'...DUH GAMBLERS.....YA HAD TA HAVE YER CARDS IN.......... LONG B/4 SATURDAY......LEST...YA LIVED IN TOWN....(WILMIN'TON).........BRAWK!

Katfan
December 7th, 2021, 08:07 AM
I’ve heard a lot of SH fans talking about the penalty aided drives. While we had some penalties on the defensive side of the ball, but those were all legit calls. If anything I thought that the Refs hammered UIW on holding calls for the majority of the game. It was an evenly called bad game for both teams. UIW did not score 42 points because of the officiating. It was because we are terrible in pass defense.
We can agree to disagree on the roughing the passer calls. But the point is we typically don’t have that many major penalties in a game. So if we play to our normal level there we’re at least 3 scoring drives where we’re off the field. That was huge in this game weather it was bad officiating or sloppy play or a combination

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2021, 08:49 AM
....AH KINDAH REMEMBER...NEWS JOURNAL.....ON TUESDAYS....MAYBE WEDNESDAY.......SATURDAY MORN.....TOO LATE FO'...DUH GAMBLERS.....YA HAD TA HAVE YER CARDS IN.......... LONG B/4 SATURDAY......LEST...YA LIVED IN TOWN....(WILMIN'TON).........BRAWK!

Back in late Seventies Seaford DuPont plant used to have a little gambling ring where you could make bets, but as I remember it was NFL

My dad used to bring home a betting card for me, I think minimum bet was 5 bucks... fuzzy on the details

I hit on a few but once I lost that was enough for me

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2021, 08:55 AM
....YEAH..DUH USUAL CARDS....HAD SELECTED COLLEGE....AN' COMPLETE...PRO SKED........LOTTA COLLEGE GAMES ON DUH CARD.......WERE PRETTY MUCH TOSS UPS.....TA GIVE DUH BANK....EVEN BETTER ODDS.....GAMES LIKE........NORFFWESTERN/INDIANA......IOWA ST/MIZZOU.....BOTTOM FEEDER GAMES....OR DUH HARD TA CALL......O. STATE/MICHIGAN.......UCLA/USC.......BOSTON COLLEGE/PITT......YES $5.....AN' 3 WINNERS MUST REMAIN.....SO KINDA FORCED YA TA PICK FOUR.....TIES WERE UH WASH.....'NOTHERAH.....GUIDO ADVANTAGE........AWK!

ps.....TRUCK LOADS UH DUCATS.......MADE DEY'RE WAY...TA CHICAGO......ON...SUNDAE NITE..........BRAWK!