PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 2: Holy Cross @ #5 Villanova

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Game kicks off on Friday 12/3 at 7PM ET. Odd to have a 2nd round game on a Friday but guessing Villanova wanted to avoid a conflict on Saturday.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51711372994_82ef3899c8_z.jpg

leopardball2010
November 27th, 2021, 02:53 PM
I'm just happy a PL team won a game! Let's go second round! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

CHIP72
November 27th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Game kicks off on Friday 12/3 at 7PM ET. Odd to have a 2nd round game on a Friday but guessing Villanova wanted to avoid a conflict on Saturday.

I'll post the stats breakdown with national ranks tomorrow when they're updated.

I think what happened is 1) the NCAA wanted to give the winner of this game an extra day of preparation because they are expected to play across the country at #4 seed Sacramento State in the national quarterfinals and 2) based on the scheduled start times for the first two rounds, they didn't want teams hosting Saturday games after 3 PM local time unless they played at a warm weather site or in a domed stadium. Because Villanova basketball hosts St. Joe's on campus at 12 PM on Saturday 12/4, the earliest the Villanova football game could feasibly start on Saturday 12/4 would probably be 3:30/4:00 PM ET.

I think most Villanova fans would have welcomed a basketball/football doubleheader if the weather was reasonably nice.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 04:09 PM
I think what happened is 1) the NCAA wanted to give the winner of this game an extra day of preparation because they are expected to play across the country at #4 seed Sacramento State in the national quarterfinals and 2) based on the scheduled start times for the first two rounds, they didn't want teams hosting Saturday games after 3 PM local time unless they played at a warm weather site or in a domed stadium. Because Villanova basketball hosts St. Joe's on campus at 12 PM on Saturday 12/4, the earliest the Villanova football game could feasibly start on Saturday 12/4 would probably be 3:30/4:00 PM ET

I think most Villanova fans would have welcomed a basketball/football doubleheader if the weather was reasonably nice.
Idk... that seems very presumptuous to assume that Sac St will make it past the 2nd round. Villanova could very well be hosting SDSU in the quarters.

I know the host institution gets to send the NCAA/ESPN their preferred start times and unless it's a national TV game it doesn't seem like either care that much when the host school wants to kick off. I'm guessing it's a conflict with commencement or something like that (or maybe it is just something they didn't want to have going up against the basketball game). Montana is also scheduled to host their 2nd round playoff game on Friday and that could be against a UNI team making their 2nd trip west in less than a week.

CHIP72
November 27th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Idk... that seems very presumptuous to assume that Sac St will make it past the 2nd round. Villanova could very well be hosting SDSU in the quarters.

I know the host institution gets to send the NCAA/ESPN their preferred start times and unless it's a national TV game it doesn't seem like either care that much when the host school wants to kick off. I'm guessing it's a conflict with commencement or something like that (or maybe it is just something they didn't want to have going up against the basketball game). Montana is also scheduled to host their 2nd round playoff game on Friday and that could be against a UNI team making their 2nd trip west in less than a week.

It may be presumptuous…but the other Friday 12/3 game involves #6 seed Montana, who would have a long trip across most of the U.S. to play #3 seed James Madison should the Grizzlies win.

The two #5 through #8 seeds who are hosting games on Saturday 12/4 (#7 East Tennessee State and #8 Montana State) would have shorter trips for their quarterfinal games should they win, which I believe is part of the reason those teams are playing on Saturday 12/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
November 27th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Is Gordie Lockbaum still at Holy Cross? xpeacex

Sader87
November 27th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Is Gordie Lockbaum still at Holy Cross? xpeacex

Remembah the curb-stomping he and the rest of the Saders did to your Cats in 1987? I do...

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Nova is in for a battle

Hayak saves day for Nova

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Nova is in for a battle

Hayak saves day for Nova

I got it 31-13 'Cats. I could see it being a TD closer, 24-13? My concern is HC being able to score enough to seriously make the 'Cats sweat the last 10 minutes of the game. Holy Cross has the defense and FG kicker to win a grind it out ugly affair. But I think 'Nova is able to execute enough on offense and put together some solid scoring drives to win without too much worry. A couple of short fields makes their job easier.....

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 10:21 PM
It may be presumptuous…but the other Friday 12/3 game involves #6 seed Montana, who would have a long trip across most of the U.S. to play #3 seed James Madison should the Grizzlies win.

The two #5 through #8 seeds who are hosting games on Saturday 12/4 (#7 East Tennessee State and #8 Montana State) would have shorter trips for their quarterfinal games should they win, which I believe is part of the reason those teams are playing on Saturday 12/4.

Just seems like a silly reason to me for the NCAA to care. They're traveling by plane not stage coach. It's a 4 hour flight from Montana to JMU or a 5 hour flight from Nova to Sacramento. Not much different from most other quarterfinal games which are usually flights (more than 400 miles between opposing institutions).

ngineer
November 27th, 2021, 11:34 PM
HC will need a couple turnovers that flip field position to win this. I'm picking 'nova, but I will not be shocked if Crusaders have it within reach in the fourth quarter. Health of Covington could be a factor, though I think 'nova has decent depth. Weather looks pretty good at present. could be close to 50F. I say 'nova, 31-21.

Chalupa Batman
November 28th, 2021, 06:27 AM
Holy Cross needs to bring the team that blew out Monmouth to have any shot, if it's more like the one that played yesterday this should be over quick.

NY Crusader 2010
November 28th, 2021, 06:50 AM
The Holy Cross defense played very well yesterday. SHU's only TD drive came on the game's first possession and the key play was a 38-yard catch on 3rd and 15 on a busted play after QB evaded a sack. To be fair, I think having a healthy Chestnut for the entire game would've resulted in at least 3 more points for Sacred Heart somewhere along the line. He came back in 3rd Q but was clearly not 100%.

Here's the issue for Holy Cross => Sacred Heart came into the game with the #1 pass defense in FCS, statistically speaking. They allowed an average of 119 yds in the air per game. Their strategy of stacking the box and forcing an uncomfortable Sluka to throw the ball and make difficult run/pass decisions worked very well. Our passing attack won't get a break against the Wildcats, who will have the luxury of employing the same plan. Vilanova is the #6 ranked defense in FCS against the pass, and did so against a much more challenging schedule than the Pioneers.

To keep us in the game, the defense will need to hold Villanova to 21 points or less IMO. One of our top three running backs (Tyler Purdy) was out yesterday and our #1 back Peter Oliver appeared to be banged up. If both are close to 100% by Friday night, we'll have a better shot to move the ball consistently.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 06:56 AM
The Holy Cross defense played very well yesterday. SHU's only TD drive came on the game's first possession and the key play was a 38-yard catch on 3rd and 15 on a busted play after QB evaded a sack. To be fair, I think having a healthy Chestnut for the entire game would've resulted in at least 3 more points for Sacred Heart somewhere along the line. He came back in 3rd Q but was clearly not 100%.

Here's the issue for Holy Cross => Sacred Heart came into the game with the #1 pass defense in FCS, statistically speaking. They allowed an average of 119 yds in the air per game. Their strategy of stacking the box and forcing an uncomfortable Sluka to throw the ball and make difficult run/pass decisions worked very well. Our passing attack won't get a break against the Wildcats, who will have the luxury of employing the same plan. Vilanova is the #6 ranked defense in FCS against the pass, and did so against a much more challenging schedule than the Pioneers.

To keep us in the game, the defense will need to hold Villanova to 21 points or less IMO. One of our top three running backs (Tyler Purdy) was out yesterday and our #1 back Peter Oliver appeared to be banged up yesterday. If both are close to 100% by Friday night, we'll have a better shot to move the ball consistently.

observations are all on point

27 bottled up Chestnut several times yesterday but yes, it was obvious Chestnut was not 100 percent

I think your defense is good enough to hold Nova down but obviously you will be challenged to score enough points to win

Your QB's personality reminded my of Danny Ainge, but you can see he has talent

The Cats
November 28th, 2021, 07:48 AM
voted - Villanova

Daytripper
November 28th, 2021, 09:07 AM
Based on that D-3 display yesterday, I will say Villanova by 31.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2021, 09:08 AM
This game won't be close.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 10:33 AM

haha D3

Your lucky you have FBS talent to watch

I don’t think Holy Cross is getting blown out

MSUBobcat
November 28th, 2021, 11:23 AM
haha D3

Your lucky you have FBS talent to watch

I don’t think Holy Cross is getting blown out

Posts like this are why you're the "Reigning Humor Champ", right?

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 11:34 AM

let me guess, You formed your opinion based on yesterday’s game only?

be honest

grayghost06
November 28th, 2021, 11:59 AM
I'll be rooting for Holy Cross. That said, the HC 2 minute drill was about as inept as I've seen. The entire package, from play calling, to time management to execution-just turrible. Really got bailed out on that last pass.

MSUBobcat
November 28th, 2021, 12:08 PM
let me guess, You formed your opinion based on yesterday’s game only?

be honest

Hahaha. No. I've been forming my opinion of HC all year. Yesterday's lackluster performance at home cemented my thought that HC has no chance @Nova. Shooting from the hip, Nova by 21+.

crusader11
November 28th, 2021, 12:10 PM
I think this game will be competitive. HC wasn't sharp last week, no doubt.

As they say in the playoffs, defense travels. I'm banking that on a cold December night in Philly, our ability to play defense and run the ball are going to be key.

I imagine Villanova opens as around 10-13 point favorites.

Villanova needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat an average Delaware team, lost to W&M who missed the playoffs, and narrowly beat a not-so-good Albany team.

If HC is at their best, this will be a game into the 4th quarter.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2021, 12:24 PM

As they say in the playoffs, defense travels. I'm banking that on a cold December night in Philly, our ability to play defense and run the ball are going to be key.

Villanova needed a 4th quarter comeback to beat an average Delaware team, lost to W&M who missed the playoffs, and narrowly beat a not-so-good Albany team.

uh oh, looks like there is a new humor champ

just kidding! I like your analysis

Nova is inconsistent, they can look really good when everything is clicking, but can also put out very average performances.

Sacred Heart gave Delaware, who was undefeated at time, a tough battle in spring playoff game and this was the week after Delaware beat Villanova.

If Nova brings A game yes they can win by 21 for sure, but Holy Cross is capable of making this a very competitive game.

NY Crusader 2010
November 28th, 2021, 03:51 PM
Yesterday was the first game of the season that our defense didn't force at least one INT. Of course, SHU only threw the ball a handful of times. We'll need at least one on Friday to stay in the game.

Sluka also got away with 4 balls that could've/should've been picked, including the ridiculous flip pass. He'll need similar luck and/or better decision-making and execution in Round 2.

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Villanova opens as a 12.5 point favorite on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php) with an O/U of 49.

NY Crusader 2010
November 28th, 2021, 07:59 PM
I'll be rooting for Holy Cross. That said, the HC 2 minute drill was about as inept as I've seen. The entire package, from play calling, to time management to execution-just turrible. Really got bailed out on that last pass.

What will be difficult for us against top-flight competition like Villanova, is that we're not really built for the two-minute drill or to come from behind. Case in point -- it took us 55 minutes of football to come back from an early 7-0 deficit against Sacred Heart.

On offense, we're most successful when we play smash-mouth football. When we get the run game going downhill, it opens up opportunities for Sluka to run outside or behind a block -- and sometimes throw the ball downfield. Unlike last year against South Dakota State, we do have some solid weapons at the WR position in Asante, Ayeni and Coker. It's just getting them the touches that's the challenge.

Obviously, our defense is the golden goose. The big talk about the HC-SHU matchup was who would win the strength-vs-strength battle between their running game (2 top RBs in the NEC) and our stout run defense which had allowed just 1,000 yards rushing on the season. After the first drive, we won this battle decisively. The wrinkle in the matchup was the fact that Sacred Heart forced us to run the ball, trusting their secondary (#1 pass defense in FCS statistically) to leave few opportunities downfield for our QBs. My fear is that Villanova will be effectively able to follow this same blueprint on Friday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2021, 08:22 PM
Villanova is literally like a PL team on steroids which is a big reason they've dominated the league. Talley and now Fuente look at these PL games as "must wins" for the "sake of the program". They have smart players who operate within an established framework for success. They're very solid along the lines (watch the PSU game) and have three skill guys on offense who can kill you. Defensively they do some different (even quirky) things and usually have a lot of speed/athleticism that fly around.

Holy Cross is a physically tough, fundamentally sound defensive team but they don't have a lot of team speed imo. I think Villanova can exploit that in space. Offensively, their WR's have some big play ability but between Sluka's sketchy accuracy and Chesney's style they never really get to showcase their stuff. HC's OL is "decent" but I don't think it's a strength which is part of their problem on offense. RB had a good year statistically. However, his stats were helped by HC beating up on awful PL competition; Silva he is not. HC is a very well coached team that's tough as hell. I still don't see the difference makers and overall team speed that Colgate, Fordham and Lehigh have had in the past.

HC without question has the coach and defense to give themselves a "chance" heading into the 4th quarter. I think the 12.5 point line is fair. This has the feel of a game where Nova will break HC's back (go up 2 possessions) with a late score or cover which makes the score "look worse than it was".

I really think this and the Montana State vs UTM game will be similar.....

prospect
November 28th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Remembah the curb-stomping he and the rest of the Saders did to your Cats in 1987? I do...

I was there and i remember that great Holy Cross team I also remember that is was Villanova's third season and first full schedule since they brought back football in 1985 after a 4 year hiatus, so they were just finding their way. I also know that the programs have gone in very different directions since then with 14 playoff appearances, 3 Walter Payton Award winners, and a National Championship. We'll see what happens this week.

prospect
November 28th, 2021, 09:05 PM

Fair points. Villanova clearly didn't show up for William and Mary (though William and Mary was a game away from making the FCS playoffs), the Albany game was played in a monsoon, and Delaware is a rivalry game where you can throw out the records. Delaware would have loved to have taken a first round bye away from Villanova. And they legitimately held Penn State to less than 3 yards per carry. And they beat JMU at JMU. I am concerned about this game for sure, but if Villanova is at their best, I don't think it will matter if Holy Cross is at their best. But that is why they play the game. You never know. Over the course of a season, Villanova is a better team, but the only thing that matters is who the better team is on Friday. We shall soon see.

Gangtackle11
November 28th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Villanova is 25-2 vs. the Patriot League since 2000. Lost to Lehigh in 2006 & Fordham in 2013. Beat Holy Cross in 2009 Playoffs 38-28.

Nova has a tendency to play up or down to their opponents in 2021. I don’t see Holy Cross coming to the Main Line and getting a W unless Nova is flat as a pancake. I think 2 Tds seems about right although if Nova offense is clicking it could be more.

I’ll be there to see it. I’ll say Nova 31-14 as the Cats usually have too much for Patriot League competition. xpeacex

NY Crusader 2010
November 29th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Villanova is 25-2 vs. the Patriot League since 2000. Lost to Lehigh in 2006 & Fordham in 2013. Beat Holy Cross in 2009 Playoffs 38-28.

Nova has a tendency to play up or down to their opponents in 2021. I don’t see Holy Cross coming to the Main Line and getting a W unless Nova is flat as a pancake. I think 2 Tds seems about right although if Nova offense is clicking it could be more.

I’ll be there to see it. I’ll say Nova 31-14 as the Cats usually have too much for Patriot League competition. xpeacex

If our offense is a disaster like it was last week and we turn the ball over multiple times (like what could've easily happened against SHU), this game could end up like the Rhode Island and Elon games. I think best-case scenario our offense manages to carve out 2 or 3 solid drives resulting in at least a FG, our defense keeps us in the game with key stops, we get lucky with at least one big special teams play, and we go into the fourth quarter within 7-10 points. Let's see.

ngineer
November 29th, 2021, 07:25 PM
Since Friday night, you might have gotten a break as some snow is now predicted for Saturday in eastern PA. Friday night will be "chilly"--mid to upper 30's during the game. 'Saders must play a clean game to have a shot; no drive stalling penalties, no turnovers that are costly and play smart. I see them staying within 7-10 pts if they can do that and then, who knows.

Nova09
December 1st, 2021, 07:48 AM
It's not unreasonable to consider a scenario where nova wins and then hosts again (sdsu beats sac) and then if able to win, hosts AGAIN (mont st beats shsu). Not saying that's likely or that I want to play those teams, but it's not ridiculously unlikely and after this round it's all good teams anyway, so give us the home games!

Anyway we have to take care of business Friday so we can enjoy Saturday action. I think we win easily if we just play reasonably well, win close if we make a couple big play mistakes, or lose if we lay a dud which our offense sometimes does for a few drives in a row for some reason.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2021, 08:07 AM
.....AN' TRY NOT TA PEAK.......YOUSE'LL NEED PEAKIN'......DOWN DUH ROAD.........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2021, 10:37 AM
It's not unreasonable to consider a scenario where nova wins and then hosts again (sdsu beats sac) and then if able to win, hosts AGAIN (mont st beats shsu). Not saying that's likely or that I want to play those teams, but it's not ridiculously unlikely and after this round it's all good teams anyway, so give us the home games!

Anyway we have to take care of business Friday so we can enjoy Saturday action. I think we win easily if we just play reasonably well, win close if we make a couple big play mistakes, or lose if we lay a dud which our offense sometimes does for a few drives in a row for some reason.

Smith to Hayak late.... game over

VUCats02
December 1st, 2021, 02:15 PM

Since 2017, Villanova's aggregate score against the PL is 271-75, with 35 of those 75 points coming from Lehigh in the 2017 38-35 Nova win @ Lehigh.

This being said, I still do not believe Nova has very good coaching when it comes to in-game decisions. They are the type of team where if they get up by a couple TD's, it could turn into an absolute blood bath, but if it's close in the 2nd half, I really do not trust the decisions that are made. Ever since Nova miraculously choked away the game in 2019 to Stony Brook due to some of the craziest in-game coaching decisions I've ever seen in my life, I've lost absolute faith in those types of decisions that are made.

The one other thing to mention is that for the first time since 2009, when Nova won the championship, they actually have an extremely reliable kicker. They went 10+ years straight of having one of the sketchiest FG units in FCS, so that is at least a nice breath of fresh air.

VUCats02
December 1st, 2021, 02:21 PM

I don't like thinking ahead at all because the Holy Cross game will not be easy, but for the sake of discussion, I would absolutely rather travel to Sacramento St. than host SDSU. I think @ Sacramento St, the game would be very close to an even spread, or maybe Sacramento St. -1 to -3, and SDSU is probably 4-6 point favorites playing @ Villanova.

FCS futures are posted right now for Teams to win the Championship, and Villanova has extreme long shot odds of +1800, while SDSU's odds are +600, which is telling you that they would be pretty big favorites against Nova regardless of where game is played.

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 07:25 AM
Gameday! Forecast 39 degrees at kickoff, dropping just a few over course of game. Light cloud cover no precipitation. Virtually no wind at all.

Sitting Bull
December 3rd, 2021, 12:28 PM
Will be interesting to see if Holy Cross can join Penn State and William & Mary in the “2021 we beat Villanova” club.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 12:37 PM
Will be interesting to see if Holy Cross can join Penn State and William & Mary in the “2021 we beat Villanova” club.

Go Jacob Dobbs

If Chesney and Holy Cross can pull the upset tonight the young Head Coach is on the map!

wouldn’t be surprised if UD AD attends game

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 01:25 PM
Jake Dobbs is going to announce himself to the country tonight. I like HC's front seven a lot agains the Nova ground game. I really do think we can neutralize them there.

My fear is HC's ability to string together first downs. Too many three and outs and we are toast. Big difference in 2009 compared to tonight is that I believe our defense can hang with Nova's skilled players.

With points being hard to come by tonight, I'll take the HC defense and rushing attack in a 23-20 game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 03:22 PM
Going to be a "brisk" night with a noticeable breeze on the Mail Line. I ended up playing golf in Harleysville (about 20 miles north of Villanova) this afternoon. Those 3.5 hours outside was enough for me.

This should be a pretty fast moving game. I could see possessions being reasonably low even if there's not a lot of points scored.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2021, 03:34 PM
Going to be a "brisk" night with a noticeable breeze on the Mail Line. I ended up playing golf in Harleysville (about 20 miles north of Villanova) this afternoon. Those 3.5 hours outside was enough for me.

This should be a pretty fast moving game. I could see possessions being reasonably low even if there's not a lot of points scored.

It will be brisk this evening. How was your Bucknell golf visit?

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2021, 03:53 PM
Holy Cross is #1 in total defense, so they could pull a Colgate like win and advance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:10 PM
#10 for 'Nova just dragged Dobbs for about 8 yards on a reverse. 'Nova looks good to start. Look good in space use that speed against HC...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:13 PM
Is the camera sitting in the 10th row? What a terrible vantage point at this "stadium."

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:13 PM
HC holds 'Nova to a 50 yard FG which comes up short. 'Nova will be able to move the ball. That's the type of defense that HC needs to play to have a chance....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:17 PM
HC has a solid opening drive of their own going....

Bison56
December 3rd, 2021, 06:17 PM
Is the camera sitting in the 10th row? What a terrible vantage point at this "stadium."
I’m guessing it’s in the 6th row.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:21 PM
Who can get TDs vs FGs? Who can get produce a few big plays? So far it's the anticipated grinder...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:23 PM
Crowd looks pretty good for a cold Friday night in metro Philly!!

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 06:24 PM
Big decision coming up here for the Crusaders

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:25 PM
Two weeks in a row Chesney goes for it on 4th instead of taking the 3! In a game where points might be a premium and another curious decision. See if 'Nova can make them pay...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:26 PM
Right decision to go for it and don't hate the play call, either. Just didn't pick it up.

Leaves Villanova with a long field now. I like the pace of this game through the first 11 minutes.

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2021, 06:26 PM
How do you run constantly out of the shotgun? Its 4th and 1 and you immediately set yourself back 4-5 yards in the shotgun formation. Dumb call by the coach.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 06:27 PM
Two weeks in a row Chesney goes for it on 4th instead of taking the 3! In a game where points might be a premium and another curious decision. See if 'Nova can make them pay...

probably has a Nova like FG kicker

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:27 PM
probably has a Nova like FG kicker

Ng is one of the best kickers in FCS...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 06:29 PM
I liked the decision to go for it, Holy Cross needs to get TD's and not settle for FG's to win this game. Good play from Nova to stop them.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:31 PM
Our defense punching Nova in the mouth. We are more physical so far. Need to take advantage of great field position on this drive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:34 PM
Our defense punching Nova in the mouth. We are more physical so far. Need to take advantage of great field position on this drive.

Both teams are playing physical. Can either QB throw?

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 06:35 PM
Ng is one of the best kickers in FCS...

you know the meaning of that comment

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:37 PM
Yikes. Thoroughly unimpressed with Daniel Smith. Although Sluka hasn't been much better.

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2021, 06:37 PM
I don't understand Holy Cross's offense. Doesn't feel like they try to develop anything. It's just let Sluka do Sluka things.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:38 PM
That first quarter is a win for HC.

Kicked off to start and now Nova is facing a 3rd and long in their own territory at 0-0.

We'll take it!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:38 PM
Interesting first quarter. Not too much of a surprise in terms of style imo. I am a bit "shocked" by how off Smith looks throwing. 'Nova has a lot of team speed if they're able to get guys in space. HC very fundamentally sound and tough up the middle....

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:39 PM
I don't understand Holy Cross's offense. Doesn't feel like they try to develop anything. It's just let Sluka do Sluka things.

We sometimes don't understand it, either.

Don't be surprised if Siderman (the more traditional passer) comes in for the next series.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:40 PM

Definitely very high school'ish. Against bad PL teams it works. To advance in the playoffs?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:42 PM
Sluka...yikes...Can 'Nova do anything with the INT?!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:44 PM
The Cats are cooking inside the Crusader 5!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:47 PM
TD Cats on 4th down! HC stood tough but the 'Nova coach takes his own gamble and it pays off....

Interested to see how the HC offense responds.....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 06:48 PM
Not sure if HC will have enough to win, but Nova is in for a 4 quarter fight tonight.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:50 PM
Not sure if HC will have enough to win, but Nova is in for a 4 quarter fight tonight.

I've been worried all week that our defense will largely stand tall and keep us in it, but too many three and outs on offense will be too much to overcome.

Need our offense, at the very least, to string some first downs together to give our defense a blow.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:50 PM

HC offense needs to possess the ball and at least flip the field. This could be 14 or 21-0 before half if HC isn't careful...

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2021, 06:51 PM
Definitely very high school'ish. Against bad PL teams it works.

This year, there were a lot of those.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 06:52 PM
HC offense needs to possess the ball and at least flip the field. This could be 14 or 21-0 before half if HC isn't careful...

If they can find a way to get to halftime down 7-3 or even 7-0 they will have a lot of confidence for the 2nd half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:52 PM
Huge first down for HC!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:55 PM
That's two dicey (cheap?) shots on Sluka that weren't called...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 06:57 PM
Sluka was in bounds (barely) on that last one. Looked like he was chirping to the defender on his way out of bounds.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 06:58 PM
I still like where we are...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 06:58 PM
Sluka was in bounds (barely) on that last one. Looked like he was chirping to the defender on his way out of bounds.

He loves to talk!

This feels like I'm watching Cowboys vs Saints 2.0.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:00 PM
Huge spot in the game! 'Nova with a demoralizing drive chance while HC can get ball back with great field position...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:01 PM
Big break for the Crusaders there

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:03 PM
Villanova very well might beat HC, but it's hard to see them advancing far with Daniel Smith at quarterback.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:06 PM
That's a bad spot

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:07 PM
Whew, that was close. I think he might have been a hair short.

Another big spot in the game....

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:07 PM
Uhhh, can the booth not check the spot here? This was a first down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:08 PM
That's a bad spot

The camera angle makes it tough to see if the sticks were on the 33 or 34...lol If it's the 33 it's definitely a first down...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:08 PM
What a bull**** call! He caught the ball right on the line to gain.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:10 PM
In what's been a pretty cleanly played game so far, don't like the whistle we've been getting on a couple 50/50 calls.

Sader87
December 3rd, 2021, 07:11 PM
Home job...we're getting screwed

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:12 PM
Dobbs looks like he's hurt. That would be a brutal blow....

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:14 PM
Absolutely devastating if Dobbs is done for the night. Looks like he's putting a bit of weight on it, so maybe there's a chance he's back for the second half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:15 PM
Absolutely devastating if Dobbs is done for the night. Looks like he's putting a bit of weight on it, so maybe there's a chance he's back for the second half.

Weird situation but he seemed "ok" as we walked off. Covington's strength worked against him...

'Nova in HC territory....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:17 PM
FG here might put the game away, but a TD would for sure.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:18 PM
Can we get one late hit / unsportsmanlike call? Good god.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:20 PM
'Cats inside the Crusader 10....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:20 PM
#18 should've been playing the receiver instead of the ball.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:21 PM
Boom! TD 'Cats!

This is starting to feel like another 'Nova PL beatdown...

katss07
December 3rd, 2021, 07:26 PM
Good looking crowd!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:26 PM
HC just needs to run this on 3rd down....

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 07:28 PM
who knew John Belushi was coaching

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:28 PM
HC finally gets their penalty....can their offense do anything?

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 07:29 PM
Boom! TD 'Cats!

This is starting to feel like another 'Nova PL beatdown...

what a difference Dobbs makes

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:31 PM
HC driving!

- - - Updated - - -

Take the 3!!!

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:32 PM
HC can get one ball into the endzone here...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:33 PM
Ouch! Nice drive to end the half but still can't score as FG is wide

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:33 PM
Idiotic by Chesney.

1) :07 is enough time to throw it in the endzone for one play.

2) He was too slow on the call to kick the FG and ended up running the entire FG operation.

3) That was stupid.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:34 PM
Might have been a delay of game, HC misses the FG...

Crusaders just aren't doing the little things needed to win. The Dobbs injury hurts but he's not playing offense and was on the field when 'Nova hit on a big screen play on their first TD drive.

I'll be interested to see how Chesney approaches their first drive of the second half. This game is trending towards a 28-0, 35-0 controlled mauling....

Tribe4SF
December 3rd, 2021, 07:39 PM
Smith way off in first quarter but better in second. If he continues to play well they could pull away.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:45 PM
HC needs to take a shot or dial up some sort of trick play/big play. I don't understand why they so rarely take shots given their defense and "painful at times" attempt to execute consistently...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 07:47 PM
HC needs to take a shot or dial up some sort of trick play/big play. I don't understand why they so rarely take shots given their defense and "painful at times" attempt to execute consistently...

Maybe that last drive will give them some confidence to open it up a little bit. Unless they force multiple turnovers the 2nd half they'll need to do that.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 07:47 PM

Yeah, agree.

May have been too big of a gamble, but I'm surprised Chesney did go for it on 4th and six inches from HC's 35. A first down there most likely ensures Villanova doesn't get a TD at the end of the half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 07:52 PM
Just for reference, South Dakota State led Holy Cross 17-3 at the half in the spring before going on to win 31-3 (tonight feels similar). The Crusaders defense is FCS legit but my goodness their offense is below average. Part of it is scheme imo but a big part is a lack of speed/explosiveness. Chesney just hasn't been able to land that stub RB, QB or elite group of WR's. Crusader WR's are "good" but the PL has seen better.

Combine Fordham's offense with HC defense and the PL might have a Frisco contender...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:03 PM
And we have ourselves a game, friends.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Great drive by HC!! The 2nd half snuck on me! Tebowesque TD!

Chalupa Batman
Great drive!! Game on!

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:04 PM
Big question is if Dobbs is back. I saw him running onto the field out of the locker room. We are going to need him to slow down Covington.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:06 PM
HC ball! Wow!! Here we go!

CenMEBlackBearFan
Sluka looked great on that drive, kid is tough to take down.

Chalupa Batman
HC ball! Wow!! Here we go!

Dammit they’re calling him down.

OMG that’s not even close!!!

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:07 PM
It's only appropriate we get fuc*** on a bad fumble call at Villanova. Same bull**** happened in 2009 at the same end of the field.

Sader87
December 3rd, 2021, 08:07 PM
My God are they trying to steal this game from us....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:08 PM
Dammit they’re calling him down.

OMG that’s not even close!!!

It will be Crusader ball...

Can they make the most of it? This is a huge shift in momentum. I think all HC/PL fans wanted was this to be close (10 points or less) heading into the 4Q....

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2021, 08:08 PM
My God are they trying to steal this game from us....
Officiating has been hot garbage in this game.

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 08:09 PM
Ugh, the Wildcats might want to come of the locker room for the 2nd half.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:10 PM
Sluka finally gets a call….. on a Lebron-esque flop! [emoji23]

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:12 PM
Sluka hesitated and it killed him...

Chalupa Batman
Sluka hesitated and it killed him...

Yep, thought he had a guy open

CHIP72
That was a cowardly decision by Holy Cross to not go for it on 4th and 2 at the Villanova 4 yard line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:13 PM
That was a cowardly decision by Holy Cross to not go for it on 4th and 2 at the Villanova 4 yard line.

I think it was the right call. They could be up 16-14 right now...

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:14 PM

Meh, already got stopped once and barely converted 3rd & 1 on the last drive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:15 PM
Cats with a big return!

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 08:16 PM
Meh, already got stopped once and barely converted 3rd & 1 on the last drive.

You get the ball at the other team's 25 yard line after scoring a touchdown, you need to try to keep the momentum. Kicking a field goal there dampens it.

Villanova then gets a long kickoff return into Holy Cross territory.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:17 PM
You get the ball at the other team's 25 yard line after scoring a touchdown, you need to try to keep the momentum. Kicking a field goal there dampens it.

I can see both sides of the decision.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:17 PM
'Nova strikes quick! That was easy...

'Nova 21 HC 10 4:37 3Q

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:18 PM

Yeah, that was a very perplexing sequence.

Offensive line has been getting a great push all half. Not sure why they didn't plow forward for a yard.

And then I'm not sure how good a field goal does here. Field goals aren't winning this game.

It was a bit of a weak move by Chesney. He's had some really questionable decisions tonight.

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 08:18 PM
That's the way for Villanova to respond! Killer possession for Holy Cross' special teams and defense when the Crusaders had the momentum.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:21 PM
Terrible delay of game penalty...1st and 15...

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 08:22 PM
Inexcusable for Holy Cross to have a delay of game penalty on the first play of a possession.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:23 PM
That was a helluva throw! Need to catch that!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:27 PM
Nova defense could be getting a little tired. Keep leaning on them....

Ugh!! Run the ball!! You don't want Sluka as a drop back passer....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:30 PM
Nova defense could be getting a little tired. Keep leaning on them....

Ugh!! Run the ball!! You don't want Sluka as a drop back passer....

HC needs to force a 3 & out here to get the offense back on the field and in good field position.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:31 PM
Still within reach.

An absolute must Villanova goes three and out on this drive so HC gets the ball in favorable field position.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:31 PM
Villanova 21 Holy Cross 10 End 3Q

'Nova 2nd and long to start the 4th quarter. This game really has gone pretty much to script imo....

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 08:32 PM
Villanova very well might beat HC, but it's hard to see them advancing far with Daniel Smith at quarterback.

Smith is a completely different qb from drive to drive. Strength and weakness kinda thing. But if he has 3+ bad drives next week we're done, so you're right in that sense. But he could play out of his mind. And be the REASON we advance. Or the defense could be shut down and he just needs to manage the game. We're a weird team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:36 PM
Big 3rd down!!

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:39 PM
LMFAO at the dude next to the boom mic! [emoji23][emoji23]

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:39 PM

LOL...someone was NOT happy...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:40 PM
Need points on this drive to stay within reach and apply a bit more pressure. We are doing the things that need to be done, just need to go make that play.

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 08:41 PM

Stranger call to even object to, very little judgment involved

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:42 PM
Wow, you’ve got to catch that.

Bison56
Wow blew that opportunity.

Chalupa Batman
Stranger call to even object to, very little judgment involved

Some fans yell at absolutely everything

Chalupa Batman
If HC ran this offense in the first half they may well be winning.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:46 PM
Huge play right here!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:46 PM
First down HC!

Just need points! Chesney has pissed away too many chances tonight to secure points....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:47 PM
Thought that was a gift call but it was a good call

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:49 PM
Wow great effort there by Sluka

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:51 PM
Sluka didn't hear no bell...

CHIP72
Villanova's defense has been on the field most of the half. The Wildcats need to get some first downs on their next offensive possession.

Go Lehigh TU owl
TD Cross! We got a game! This is all HC could have asked for. Their defense will be well rested. Get the ball back to the offense and HC might will themselves to another TD. Likely the win...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:53 PM
Lot of pressure on Daniel Smith to get a few first downs now, something he's struggled with tonight.

Chalupa Batman
TD Cross! We got a game! This is all HC could have asked for. Their defense will be well rested. Get the ball back to the offense and HC might will themselves to another TD. Likely the win...

HC has outplayed Villanova for all but about 10 minutes of this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Villanova's defense has been on the field most of the half. The Wildcats need to get some first downs on their next offensive possession.

'Nova has responded pretty much every time. If they don't get a first down they're in deep doodie. The Wildcat defense has to be tired....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:55 PM

Not sure about that. Villanova has made quite a few explosive plays which doesn't surprise me. HC has grinded this into a "chance". With that said, if Chesney would have taken points they could be ahead...

HC has played their game to give themselves a chance. Just hang in there...

hebmskebm
December 3rd, 2021, 08:56 PM
Chesney looks like the lovechild of Sean McVay and Jeremy Renner.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I think so, but Nova has made a couple bigger plays.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fearful Nova is just going to salt this game away on the ground without Dobbs in the middle to slow Covington down.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 08:57 PM
Not sure about that. Villanova has made quite a few explosive plays which doesn't surprise me. HC has grinded this into a "chance". With that said, if Chesney would have taken points they could be ahead...

HC has played their game to give themselves a chance. Just hang in there...

They’ve dictated play and made this their style of game

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:58 PM
They’ve dictated play and made this their style of game

It's kind of Villanova's style too. Similar to their game against UD. Smith has really struggled too...

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:58 PM
Thoroughly unimpressed with Daniel Smith. Thoroughly.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 08:59 PM
HC has to love that! Let Smith throw! wow!

Here ya go Crusaders! A chance!

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 08:59 PM
And here. We. Go.

Can't ask for anything more.

Have the ball with a chance to win it.

MUHAWKS
December 3rd, 2021, 09:00 PM
LFG CROSS!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:00 PM
Thoroughly unimpressed with Daniel Smith. Thoroughly.

This has a Colgate-JMU feel. DiNucci struggled while Colgate just kept grinding in the second half. Ended up winning on their last possession in a low scoring slugfest....

If nothing else, the PL need a good playoff showing after 3 pretty rough ones. HC played SDSU kinda tough but a 4 TD loss is still a 4 TD loss....

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:02 PM
Great start to the drive!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:05 PM
You got to throw the ball there! ugh!

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:07 PM
Welp, that was unfortunate.

I didn't like the start of that drive airing it out on 1st and 10.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:08 PM
Welp, that was unfortunate.

I didn't like the start of that drive airing it out on 1st and 10.

Had the guy open but just under threw him. The 2nd down play has got to be a guaranteed 4-5 yard gain though after that

CHIP72
Villanova might actually pull this game out. I'm only listening to the game, and man Dan Smith has sucked tonight.

Go Lehigh TU owl
1st down Cats! That might do it. Covington is a beast....

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 09:09 PM
Huge first down for Villanova. The game isn't quite over, but the fat lady is warming up her pipes.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:09 PM
Great season and great game.

Chesney is getting HC closer and closer every season.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:11 PM
SDSU is going to murder this team next week.

If Sac State wins tomorrow that should be a closer game but Hornets probably pull it out.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:11 PM

He's also getting closer to leaving. These next few days will be interesting imo. Does he really think HC is capable of making a deep playoff run as presently constructed? They need more explosive players on offense to have a chance....

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:12 PM
He's also getting closer to leaving. These next few days will be interesting imo. Does he really think HC is capable of making a deep playoff run? They need to more explosive players on offense to have a chance....

I mean, they were a couple plays away from making the quarters. That's pretty deep, no?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:13 PM
SDSU is going to murder this team next week.

If Sac State wins tomorrow that should be a closer game but Hornets probably pull it out.

I agree. I knew 'Nova was offensively challenged (HC is really good on defense) but Smith isn't leading them deep into the playoffs....

This game was there for the taking if your HC but 'Nova PL dominance continues....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:14 PM
I mean, they were a couple plays away from making the quarters. That's pretty deep, no?

I really wish they could have played someone other than SHU in the first round. It's nice to get that win but I think they need to beat a known FCS entity. That's something they really haven't done under Chesney. Monmouth still might be the "best win"....

CHIP72
December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss. Villanova is playing next week.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
Strong effort from both teams. Well played.

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 09:18 PM
I think we win easily if we just play reasonably well, win close if we make a couple big play mistakes, or lose if we lay a dud which our offense sometimes does for a few drives in a row for some reason.

Somewhere between big mistakes and lay a dud. Obviously kickoff fumble biggest mistake. Ready to put game away, even after HC td, with our first 2nd half possession, but didn't get that possession. Whole 2nd half thrown off by that.

Not "impressed" by HC d, which is not intended disrespect, kind of middle pack caa. Good, not great. Smith was way off tonight, and no, it wasn't due to the d. I didn't post it here, but I said ABSOLUTELY bang the under, didn't like the spread but gun to head said HC cover. So all in all things went not far off from what I expected.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 3rd, 2021, 09:18 PM
Great comeback by HC, really impressed by the play of Matt Sluka. Congrats on a great season Crusaders. Good luck to Nova in the quarters.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:19 PM
Strong effort from both teams. Well played.

Tough physical game! Subpar QB play (passing) imo. Like watching Taysom Hill vs Tim Tebow..

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:20 PM

Really like your team and your HC

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:20 PM
Somewhere between big mistakes and lay a dud. Obviously kickoff fumble biggest mistake. Ready to put game away, even after HC td, with our first 2nd half possession, but didn't get that possession. Whole 2nd half thrown off by that.

Not "impressed" by HC d, which is not intended disrespect, kind of middle pack caa. Good, not great. Smith was way off tonight, and no, it wasn't due to the d. I didn't post it here, but I said ABSOLUTELY bang the under, didn't like the spread but gun to head said HC cover. So all in all things went not far off from what I expected.

I'm kind of confused. Is the HC defense good or does the Nova offense suck? I could buy the latter, because I wasn't impressed at all by them.

VUCats02
December 3rd, 2021, 09:21 PM
Very impressed with Holy Cross’s team. This game was way more of a Holy War than the St Joes basketball game will be tomorrow. Nova had to squeak by Holy Cross on its run to a championship 12 years ago, but it does seam like Smith is missing something. SDSU is going to be really tough and Nova will be a TD underdog if that is the matchup, but we’ll see what happens!

Impressed with the crowd turnout for Nova standards tonight.

crusader11

Yeah, thank you...let's hope UD doesn't try and poach him now!

Go Lehigh TU owl

Really interested to see who pursues Chesney and if he at least accepts and interview or two....

katss07
December 3rd, 2021, 09:22 PM
Impressive effort from Holy Cross in my opinion! Certainly looked like they belonged among the remaining 15 tonight. Really liked watching Sluka.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:22 PM
observations are all on point

27 bottled up Chestnut several times yesterday but yes, it was obvious Chestnut was not 100 percent

I think your defense is good enough to hold Nova down but obviously you will be challenged to score enough points to win

Your QB's personality reminded my of Danny Ainge, but you can see he has talent

This was it

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:23 PM
If Holy Cross would've opened up the offense from the jump they very well could've won.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2021, 09:24 PM
This was it

You are very flexible, the way you constantly pat yourself on the back

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:25 PM
Impressive effort from Holy Cross in my opinion! Certainly looked like they belonged among the remaining 15 tonight. Really liked watching Sluka.

funny because some dumb ****s were saying last week that he sucked, I backed him up

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:26 PM
You are very flexible, the way you constantly pat yourself on the back

because I'm always right I dont even need to flex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 09:26 PM
If you're a 'Nova fan you have to be extremely concerned about the offense after the UD game and now tonight. HC has a very good defense but 'Nova left several plays/points on the board that were there to be had.

'Nova and Montana State feel very much the same right now. Can UTM do what HC couldn't?

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 09:27 PM
I'm kind of confused. Is the HC defense good or does the Nova offense suck? I could buy the latter, because I wasn't impressed at all by them.

Our offense is INCREDIBLY inconsistent. You shouldn't be impressed, they weren't impressive tonight. Your d did a good job. I don't know how to express this in typed words, your d is good but not great. They deserve credit for us looking like ****, but also thongs like throwing to sideline for a wr behind d who needs ball at hash has nothing to do with you. W&M is not elite d, but they held us to 18 bc our o is inconsistent. We missed.big plays against them too, and turned ball over in red zone. It's really hard to describe our team, our strength is probably our d run but also kinda o creativity but if o is making mistakes then "creativity" becomes liability

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:28 PM

I will say you were wrong

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:29 PM

jokes on you bud

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:35 PM
I will say you were wrong

A lot of people on this board discounted Holy Cross for the same reason they don't give two poops about the Ivy League -- New England based schools in conferences that don't play great non-conference schedules. My guess is they didn't watch two snaps of HC football before tonight so don't really know anything about the football team. Meanwhile, HC was a couple plays away from being one of the final eight teams.

Sitting Bull
December 3rd, 2021, 09:39 PM
HC defense is a top unit. They have 9 starting seniors, 7 were all PL 1st string. They kept HC in the game tonight. As much as I like Sluka, they will be a big miss for HC next year.

So this is no win to take lightly in my view. As with the HC game with SHU last week, I think a tough first round win is a big positive. It will build some confidence for Villanova next week who I think will play tougher than some may think.

ngineer
December 3rd, 2021, 09:41 PM
Turnovers and special teams were big elements tonight that made this a nail biter into the fourth quarter. I really question the 2nd and ten play call by HC late in the fourth quarter on that crucial last drive. They had 3 TO's remaining and still over 3 minutes left around the 'nova 40 and had been quite effective on the run with Sluka and Oliver. Passing it, with the resultant incomplete, put the O behind the 8 ball by having to pass on the subsequent plays, which everyone knew was coming. The way HC was moving the ball, I feel they would have gotten some good positive yardage making the 3rd down call putting much more pressure on the 'nova D. Was really rooting for Crusaders to pull it out. That missed FG also huge turning point, otherwise a 21-19 game with HC driving without the pressure of needing to score a TD. Kudos to the Crusaders for a valiant effort, and good luck to the 'cats next week. They will certainly have to clean up tonight's mistakes against either opponent, but will be rooting for them.

Will now be interesting to see if Chesney is pursued or pursues a greener ($$$) pasture. I wouldn't be surprised if Delaware comes a-calling.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:44 PM
Hahaha. No. I've been forming my opinion of HC all year. Yesterday's lackluster performance at home cemented my thought that HC has no chance @Nova. Shooting from the hip, Nova by 21+.

lol

nice call humor champ

crusader11
December 3rd, 2021, 09:50 PM
Credit to you, Caribbean. You’ve largely nailed it with where the top three Ivy teams and holy cross fall within the larger FCS landscape.

Harvard, Princeton, or Dartmouth would have beaten Nova by two scores tonight…

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 09:55 PM
Credit to you, Caribbean. You’ve largely nailed it with where the top three Ivy teams and holy cross fall within the larger FCS landscape.

thank you Sir! I totally agree with you on the Ivies. I really enjoyed the game and liked watching your team, Holy Cross has at least one new fan tonight

It's really a shame about Dobbs getting hurt

You know what, I often quote myself when wrong too but these guys never say anything about that

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 10:00 PM
thank you Sir! I totally agree with you on the Ivies. I really enjoyed the game and liked watching your team, Holy Cross has at least one new fan tonight

It's really a shame about Dobbs getting hurt

You know what, I often quote myself when wrong too but these guys never say anything about that

I've been on the "Ivies deserve respect" bandwagon the last several years as well! It's a damn shame they refuse to play in the playoffs.

Tonight's game was honestly pretty easy to forecast if you followed both HC and 'Nova this season. The only real caveat being; not sure what's going on with Smith.....

Nova09
December 3rd, 2021, 10:07 PM
I've been on the "Ivies" deserve respect bandwagon the last several years as well! It's a damn shame they refuse to play in the playoffs.

Tonight's game was honestly pretty easy to forecast if you followed both HC and 'Nova this season. The only real caveat being; not sure what's going on with Smith.....

Smiths unpredictability us exactly what made this easy to predict! Just say nova by 1 score bc you have no idea what Smith is bringing to the table. Smith plays slightly better tonight? Put the game away earlier, milk the clock late. Smith plays slightly worse? We lose! But typicak Smith all over the place game? Win by 1 score, as anyone should have predicted, easy peasy!

VUCats02
December 3rd, 2021, 10:22 PM

Nova can be beaten by anyone on any given night but not many schools could win @ JMU. Coaching is great at recruiting, terrible at in game decision making.

Sader87
December 3rd, 2021, 10:22 PM
Holy Cross coulda, shoulda won this game tonight....the leap between a strong CAA team and a solid PL team really isn't that much given good coaching and institutional support.

Holy Cross is a solid program and will be a force in the FCS if we continue to support the program and its coaches.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 10:24 PM
I've been on the "Ivies deserve respect" bandwagon the last several years as well! It's a damn shame they refuse to play in the playoffs.

Yep, I agree with you on no big deal forecasting this game.

Smith, had some nice moments but you said it, something just not right with him.

Maybe the earrings?

Sader87
December 3rd, 2021, 10:28 PM
Harvard was much bettah than Villanova.....not even close really

Gangtackle11
December 3rd, 2021, 10:57 PM
Just getting back from the game. I have never thought Nova was a serious contender for the FCS title even after beating JMU. They are a good, but far from
great team.

Kudos to Holy Cross for playing competitive football. Our QB has not had a season
close to his 2018 season. He’s far too inconsistent for my liking.

I hope they will show better next week or it will be the end for sure. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2021, 11:21 PM
Just getting back from the game. I have never thought Nova was a serious contender for the FCS title even after beating JMU. They are a good, but far from
great team.

Kudos to Holy Cross for playing competitive football. Our QB has not had a season
close to his 2018 season. He’s far too inconsistent for my liking.

I hope they will show better next week or it will be the end for sure. xpeacex

what happened to Smith? He just doesn’t look right

and where was Hayak?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2021, 11:51 PM
Also of note, while Villanova and Philly have the reputation of a "bad" college football school/city respectively, I thought tonight's crowd was "good" and the atmosphere "very good". Especially for a Friday night in Metro Philly! Was it Montana? No. But it was still a fun, energetic environment for FCS football. Nova and SEPA have nothing to be ashamed of imo given the variables that exist....

ElCid
December 4th, 2021, 12:03 AM
I know this will not be accepted by many, but I think HC was better than many gave them credit for and I think Nova was expecting a bit easier time mentally. They certainly had some issues tonight and they have been a inconsistent with some down weeks even with Ws, but they seem to bounce back. So I wouldn't necessarily expect an easy road game next week for the Sac/SDSU winner like some are thinking.

Gil Dobie
December 4th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Nova last night, reminded me of the Richmond game. Played just good enough to win, after HC, this time, came back in the game.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 06:24 AM
I know this will not be accepted by many, but I think HC was better than many gave them credit for and I think Nova was expecting a bit easier time mentally. They certainly had some issues tonight and they have been a inconsistent with some down weeks even with Ws, but they seem to bounce back. So I wouldn't necessarily expect an easy road game next week for the Sac/SDSU winner like some are thinking.

agree

Pards Rule
December 4th, 2021, 06:55 AM
Good show Cross. PL wasnt toasted

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2021, 07:02 AM
....MORAL DUBBYA'S.............AIN'T.....DUBBYA'S........... BYE WEEKS.....SOMETIMES...HAVE DUH REVERSE EFFECT...........BRAWK!

vutomcat
December 4th, 2021, 07:41 AM
A surprisingly good crowd at the stadium last night. It was a cold uncomfortable night but the students and Nova faithful braved the weather to root their Cats to a playoff victory. Didn't see what was reported, but it looked to be about 8k to my eyes.

Holy Cross fans were there in good numbers as well and represented their team enthusiastically. Reminded me a little of the W&M fans. Classy group for the most part.

Two very good defenses on display. #27 was amazing for the Crusaders and his loss may have been the difference in the game. Nova's defense has three really top flight players in Benford, Rhyne and Fisher.

Covington looks totally healthy and ready to help the Cats O in this playoff run.

Holy Cross QB very slippery and the Cats struggled to control his running. His passing was even worse than Smith's and he was very lucky the 4-5 blocked passes flying through the air didn't turn into interceptions.

I concur with many of the comments about Danny Smith on this thread. A real head scratcher. He is SO streaky. Reminds me of a 3 point shooter who goes cold for stretches. I was surprised he didn't run more since his passing was so erratic. His long run on the last scoring drive was very important though.

Holy Cross never led in this game and even though they had a chance to win the game on their last possession, the best team won this game IMO.

No QB since the Penn State game has thrown a TD pass against the Cats. A tribute to their DB's and the D line's ability to get pressure on QB's.

Hard to assess whether this Cat team has a couple more wins left because of their inconsistency. They are a mature team though and they appear to be very healthy which is important this time of year.

GO CATS!

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2021, 07:59 AM
A surprisingly good crowd at the stadium last night. It was a cold uncomfortable night but the students and Nova faithful braved the weather to root their Cats to a playoff victory. Didn't see what was reported, but it looked to be about 8k to my eyes.

Holy Cross fans were there in good numbers as well and represented their team enthusiastically. Reminded me a little of the W&M fans. Classy group for the most part.

Two very good defenses on display. #27 was amazing for the Crusaders and his loss may have been the difference in the game. Nova's defense has three really top flight players in Benford, Rhyne and Fisher.

Covington looks totally healthy and ready to help the Cats O in this playoff run.

Holy Cross QB very slippery and the Cats struggled to control his running. His passing was even worse than Smith's and he was very lucky the 4-5 blocked passes flying through the air didn't turn into interceptions.

I concur with many of the comments about Danny Smith on this thread. A real head scratcher. He is SO streaky. Reminds me of a 3 point shooter who goes cold for stretches. I was surprised he didn't run more since his passing was so erratic. His long run on the last scoring drive was very important though.

Holy Cross never led in this game and even though they had a chance to win the game on their last possession, the best team won this game IMO.

No QB since the Penn State game has thrown a TD pass against the Cats. A tribute to their DB's and the D line's ability to get pressure on QB's.

Hard to assess whether this Cat team has a couple more wins left because of their inconsistency. They are a mature team though and they appear to be very healthy which is important this time of year.

GO CATS!

......HERE DAT............WABBITS ??.................BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Great post Vutomcat

Maybe consider posting more

KPSUL
December 4th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Daniel Smith's accuracy was just plain awful. He was overthrowing receivers all day.

No question Holy Cross came to play. They were clearly not intimidated by playing Villanova. Sluka was beating some very good Nova defenders in the open field all day; and his passing was better than vs Sacred Heart. It was very unfortunate for HC to lose Jacob Dobbs - certainly a factor in the final outcome. Like almost everyone else, my main take-away is that Holy Cross is a legitimate FCS Play-Off team.

CHIP72
December 4th, 2021, 08:12 AM

GO CATS!

It’s still too bad the game couldn’t have been today at say 3:30 PM or 4 PM after the Holy War game ended.

Gangtackle11
December 4th, 2021, 08:15 AM

GO CATS!

Good post. Actually most of the starting offense was sick this week (flu not Covid obviously) from what I heard from my football sources. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
December 4th, 2021, 08:17 AM
what happened to Smith? He just doesn’t look right

and where was Hayak?

Our QB had a phenomenal 2019 season. 2021 meh.

Hayek for some reason falls in & out of the Federal Witness Protection program with the OC. Head scratcher. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
December 4th, 2021, 08:22 AM
......HERE DAT............WABBITS ??.................BRAWK!

Love to get another shot at them. We lost a 10-7 heartbreaker in 2016 in Brookings. Some TE named Goedaert was a beast that day for the Wabbits. Would be a tall task for Nova, but I’d like to see it. xpeacex

vutomcat
December 4th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Love to get another shot at them. We lost a 10-7 heartbreaker in 2016 in Brookings. Some TE named Goedaert was a beast that day for the Wabbits. Would be a tall task for Nova, but I’d like to see it. xpeacex

Would love to get another home game! Go Jackrabbits!

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 08:49 AM
Our QB had a phenomenal 2019 season. 2021 meh.

Hayek for some reason falls in & out of the Federal Witness Protection program with the OC. Head scratcher. xpeacex

witness protection program....let’s keep that quite

on Smith, I don’t think the dangling earrings are helping his game, maybe a pearl necklace?

Not sure South Dakota State will actually beat Sacramento St, this is gonna be a good one

KPSUL
December 4th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Princeton or Dartmouth may have beaten Nova today…

FIFY. Settle down, the moral victory has gotten you a little too hyped up.

CHIP72
December 4th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Love to get another shot at them. We lost a 10-7 heartbreaker in 2016 in Brookings. Some TE named Goedert was a beast that day for the Wabbits. Would be a tall task for Nova, but I’d like to see it. xpeacex

Yeah, I remember that same day Temple won the the AAC championship game against Navy (a game I attended) and I was disappointed Villanova couldn't complete the double Philly win that day. :(

crusader11
December 4th, 2021, 09:00 AM
FIFY. Settle down, the moral victory has gotten you a little too hyped up.

Disagree. Princeton, Dartmouth and Harvard were better than HC this year. They’d have beaten the Villanova team I saw last night.

Daytripper
December 4th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Disagree. Princeton, Dartmouth and Harvard were better than HC this year. They’d have beaten the Villanova team I saw last night.

Agree.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2021, 09:46 AM

But they didn't because they have bad games too

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Believe it or not they got a TE who could already be better than Goedert in Tucker Kraft and he's only a sophomore.

Gangtackle11
December 4th, 2021, 10:26 AM

I have a healthy respect for Ivy football, but I was at the Princeton-Harvard game this season. I must admit that I walked out the stadium that day thinking that neither team would beat Nova most Saturdays.

I guess until the Ivy gets out of the 1950s and plays post season football there will be the proverbial chest pumping on how they can beat teams like Nova like a drum. xcoffeexxpeacex

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Totally onboard with your opinion crusader11

To bad these Ivies are afraid of becoming known as “football schools”

Princeton wasn’t as good as a few years ago though

Dartmouth solid and Harvard dangerously good

Sader87
December 6th, 2021, 12:58 AM
It is what it is.....Harvard looked much bettah against HC than Villanova did.....I'll be very surprised if they beat SD State...

Fordham
December 6th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Again, well done HC on both a great season and great battle with Nova.

What's the word on Chesney? Is he emphatic about being back? Is he likely to move up? Or is it just radio silence so far?

NY Crusader 2010
December 7th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Again, well done HC on both a great season and great battle with Nova.

What's the word on Chesney? Is he emphatic about being back? Is he likely to move up? Or is it just radio silence so far?

We dodged two bullets with both Delaware and UNH (allegedly/Santos announcement hasn't OFFICIALLY been made yet) deciding to hire head coaches from within their alumni networks.

Chesney is going to get his day with a higher-visibility head coaching job by the end of next year's "coaching carousel" if I were to predict. Rumor has it that he interviewed at UD this past weekend and was their #2 choice behind Carty.

Luckily for HC, we made the decision to abandon alumni loyalty and hired Chesney over Lee Hull '87 after Gilmore was let go. Great choice.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2021, 09:08 AM
We dodged two bullets with both Delaware and UNH (allegedly/Santos announcement hasn't OFFICIALLY been made yet) deciding to hire head coaches from within their alumni networks.

Chesney is going to get his day with a higher-visibility head coaching job by the end of next year's "coaching carousel" if I were to predict. Rumor has it that he interviewed at UD this past weekend and was their #2 choice behind Carty.

Luckily for HC, we made the decision to abandon alumni loyalty and hired Chesney over Lee Hull '87 after Gilmore was let go. Great choice.

not 100% sure the bullets have stopped flying yet

Delaware has not named Carty as head coach, I would love for the Hens to poach your boy Chesney