PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 1: Davidson @ Kennesaw State

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2021, 02:14 PM
Game kicks off at 2PM ET. Winner goes to #7 East Tennessee State.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51695947678_07eeb4f3db_z.jpg

Who ya got?

JacksFan40
November 21st, 2021, 02:16 PM
This one could get ugly. Don’t think this Davidson team is as good as the San Diego teams that won some playoff games in years past. KSU is also a very solid team.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2021, 02:21 PM
Top 2 rushing offense in the FCS going in this one. I'm going to guess you'll be able to look at TOP and see who won without even needing to see the score. This should be a quick game with a lot of moving clock between plays.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2021, 02:29 PM
Davidson was the #1 rushing offense last year and we beat them by like 40.

Kennesaw should have a similar result.

BurialGround
November 21st, 2021, 02:41 PM
Really wanted to see us take on Mercer. Would've been very exciting, great for our program (and theirs). Davidson is a boring matchup, but hey, at least we'll be able to say that we've won another playoff game, I guess.

ksu_owls
November 21st, 2021, 03:52 PM
The only thing I know about davidson is Steph Curry. I just found out they are in a league called the pioneer which objectively looks worse than the big south.

Here goes a 5k attendance thanksgiving weekend game against another weak opponent. Hope we play up more than we did against gardener Webb.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2021, 04:32 PM
The only thing I know about davidson is Steph Curry. I just found out they are in a league called the pioneer which objectively looks worse than the big south.

Here goes a 5k attendance thanksgiving weekend game against another weak opponent. Hope we play up more than we did against gardener Webb.

Pioneer is a non-scholarship league.

If you guys don't win by 30+ you should honestly just forfeit as to not waste ETSUs time.

HootyHoo
November 21st, 2021, 04:48 PM
Really wanted to see us take on Mercer. Would've been very exciting, great for our program (and theirs). Davidson is a boring matchup, but hey, at least we'll be able to say that we've won another playoff game, I guess.

Does anything make you happy? Davidson is a glorified bye and a reward for our success. Why would we want to give Mercer a boost in the ATL area? Let them stay in the wilderness. Besides, ETSU is an exciting matchup being our first opponent and all that.

BurialGround
November 21st, 2021, 05:21 PM
Does anything make you happy? Davidson is a glorified bye and a reward for our success. Why would we want to give Mercer a boost in the ATL area? Let them stay in the wilderness. Besides, ETSU is an exciting matchup being our first opponent and all that.

I want to watch some good football, I guess you don't?

Also, I've been wanting to watch us beat Mercer since 2015. Not sure why you think they'd get a boost in the ATL area after we beat them. Anyway, ETSU will be fun, but I don't like that they get two weeks to prepare for us.

Chalupa Batman
November 21st, 2021, 05:30 PM
I'm setting the over/under for combined passes between these teams at 19.5

ksu_owls
November 21st, 2021, 05:34 PM

This will be a boring ground and pound game. I doubt we show any passing plays/formations that might be needed in later rounds.

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2021, 05:39 PM
Kennesaw is VERY good on defense. With Davidson up first and a potential date with ETSU after, they have a very fortunate draw. Chattanooga gave ETSU fits with strong defensive play and the Owls have a much better run defense than Chatty. If Davidson can't convert on 3rd down, it's going to be a very long day. This one could get out of hand in a hurry.

ksu_owls
November 21st, 2021, 05:54 PM
Kennesaw is VERY good on defense. With Davidson up first and a potential date with ETSU after, they have a very fortunate draw. Chattanooga gave ETSU fits with strong defensive play and the Owls have a much better run defense than Chatty. If Davidson can't convert on 3rd down, it's going to be a very long day. This one could get out of hand in a hurry.
Defense was the only thing I was confident in going into the Monmouth game. Liked how we moved the ball against them, but they do not represent the level of defense that awaits us assuming we handle Davidson. I think KSU/ETSU will be fun for all to watch.

Chalupa Batman
November 21st, 2021, 06:01 PM
Kennesaw should roll in this one, then I'm hoping they handle ETSU the following week solely because HootyHoo riling up the Bison faithful could make for a real ****show of a thread and we haven't had one of those in a while.

ksu_owls
November 21st, 2021, 06:22 PM
Kennesaw should roll in this one, then I'm hoping they handle ETSU the following week solely because HootyHoo riling up the Bison faithful could make for a real ****show of a thread and we haven't had one of those in a while.
Lol the game our friend Hooty has been dreaming of!!

If we make it I’ve got to figure out a way to get out of in-law-family Christmas. We don’t have the resume but at least ESPN got our name right.

Lol AGS would melt if we beat NDSU. Anything is possible!

ElCid
November 21st, 2021, 07:18 PM
Chattanooga gave ETSU fits with strong defensive play and the Owls have a much better run defense than Chatty.

Much better? Based on? Pure numbers are about the same and that doesn't take into account the SOS each faced. But having seen each, Chatty wins the D run strength or total D for that matter. If you are basing it on Chatty's loss to us this past week, that would be a mistake. We played better than we have all year. When KSU, probably, meets ETSU, they will be hard pressed facing the toughest D they have all year.

ksu_owls
November 21st, 2021, 07:31 PM
Much better? Based on? Pure numbers are about the same and that doesn't take into account the SOS each faced. But having seen each, Chatty wins the D run strength or total D for that matter. If you are basing it on Chatty's loss to us this past week, that would be a mistake. We played better than we have all year. When KSU, probably, meets ETSU, they will be hard pressed facing the toughest D they have all year.

We’ll find out soon enough…

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 07:33 AM
I watched a good amount of the Kennesaw - Monmouth game.

Kennesaw has some dudes.

This one smells like a 42-14 kind of game.

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2021, 07:37 AM
Solid non-scholarship option team vs. good scholarship option team—the winner here is pretty obvious.

I doubt either one gets past ETSU, though.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 08:30 AM
Solid non-scholarship option team vs. good scholarship option team—the winner here is pretty obvious.

I doubt either one gets past ETSU, though.
What makes ETSU special? Props on the Vandy win. They beat what is arguably the weakest P5 program of the last decade, which legitimately is still a great accomplishment— not being sarcastic.

I don’t see the argument that Chattanooga’s defense is better than ours. Only current sources claiming that are SoCon homers who hate KSU for making them look weak year after year.

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2021, 08:50 AM
What makes ETSU special?

1. They're used to playing option teams.
2. They have a knack for winning close games.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 08:58 AM
1. They're used to playing option teams.
2. They have a knack for winning close games.
1. Our offense has expanded beyond TO. We have an actual QB with an arm. (Doubt you’ll see that vs Davidson).

2. Hope it’s close so they have their chance.

I agree they are a great team. I’m predicting our Davidson game won’t be a very impressive win and ETSU will be confused as to why we look completely different than what they watched the week prior. Ask Monmouth about the film they watched on us vs gardener Webb and how much that helped.

HootyHoo
November 22nd, 2021, 09:16 AM
What makes ETSU special? Props on the Vandy win. They beat what is arguably the weakest P5 program of the last decade, which legitimately is still a great accomplishment— not being sarcastic.

I don’t see the argument that Chattanooga’s defense is better than ours. Only current sources claiming that are SoCon homers who hate KSU for making them look weak year after year.

I believe I know the answer. I saw this once on a nature show.This is what happens when vulnerable prey detects the presence of a large Alpha predator in their environment. They try to make themselves appear larger than they actually are in attempt to scare off the threat.

Do not worry friend, if you take a look at ETSU there really isn't much to them. Their best game by far was against the Citadel. But other than that some very unimpressive performances:

27-21 W vs Wofford
17-13 W vs Furman
55-48 OT W vs Samford
21-16 L vs Chattanooga

interesting stat, 5 of their 7 SOCON wins were by a TD or less. I understand KSU had some close shaves vs UNA and GW, but the Owls have proven they can control games and win convincingly. The two teams the Bucs managed to blow out? The Citadel and Western carolina, who have a combined record of 8-14. Woof!

The Owls win by 14. Book the flights to Fargo.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 10:56 AM
I believe I know the answer. I saw this once on a nature show.This is what happens when vulnerable prey detects the presence of a large Alpha predator in their environment. They try to make themselves appear larger than they actually are in attempt to scare off the threat.

Do not worry friend, if you take a look at ETSU there really isn't much to them. Their best game by far was against the Citadel. But other than that some very unimpressive performances:

27-21 W vs Wofford
17-13 W vs Furman
55-48 OT W vs Samford
21-16 L vs Chattanooga

interesting stat, 5 of their 7 SOCON wins were by a TD or less. I understand KSU had some close shaves vs UNA and GW, but the Owls have proven they can control games and win convincingly. The two teams the Bucs managed to blow out? The Citadel and Western carolina, who have a combined record of 8-14. Woof!

This is just drivel and trolling. Hope nobody takes it seriously. What are combined records of the "blowouts" KSU had? And what kind of metric is that anyway. And close conference games are conf games, with history and familiarity. KSU hasn't seen a D like ETSU this year. I'm not saying KSU is bad, they are OK. But don't use selective cherry picking criteria to try and make a point. It's sad to watch your attempt.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 11:04 AM

This just demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge.
Vandy is far from the worst P5 the last decade. You need to look a little deeper before you make easily disprovable claims. They certainly are not very good this year, but your claim was "the decade." Silly.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 12:04 PM
This just demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge.
Vandy is far from the worst P5 the last decade. You need to look a little deeper before you make easily disprovable claims. They certainly are not very good this year, but your claim was "the decade." Silly.
I suggested they are arguably the worst. Do you have a contender to take their place? Their two wins were to teams that are a combined 4-18. They are a shell of a football team, an eye sore to the SEC, what team is more of a disappointment than Vandy?

Again, that’s a big win for ETSU and again, I believe ETSU is a great team. You’ve done nothing more than to further my angry SoCon homer theory.

HootyHoo
November 22nd, 2021, 12:54 PM
This is just drivel and trolling. Hope nobody takes it seriously. What are combined records of the "blowouts" KSU had? And what kind of metric is that anyway. And close conference games are conf games, with history and familiarity. KSU hasn't seen a D like ETSU this year. I'm not saying KSU is bad, they are OK. But don't use selective cherry picking criteria to try and make a point. It's sad to watch your attempt.

Am i missing something? ETSU's defense is ranked 63rd in Total Defense in the FCS, 27th in scoring Defense. Those are pretty pedestrian numbers. KSU has a higher rank in both statistics(19th,16th). In fact, only one SOCON team has a better ranking than the Owls defense and that is Chattanooga(10th,12th), whom ETSU lost to...

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 01:19 PM

I'm not even sure Vandy is the weakest P5 team of this YEAR. Arizona HAS to be in contention for that claim. They lost to NAU, whose other wins were the cellar dwellers of the BSC (ISU-o, SUU, Idaho, and Cal Poly) and NAU even lost to Northern Colorado. Massey has Vandy at 118, with 'Zona at 116.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 01:21 PM

27-21 W vs Wofford
17-13 W vs Furman
55-48 OT W vs Samford
21-16 L vs Chattanooga

Roundtrip from ATL to Fargo is currently only $317. Put your money where your mouth is. Worst case scenario, you'll get to tailgate with some awfully friendly people.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 01:24 PM
I suggested they are arguably the worst. Do you have a contender to take their place? Their two wins were to teams that are a combined 4-18. They are a shell of a football team, an eye sore to the SEC, what team is more of a disappointment than Vandy?

Again, that’s a big win for ETSU and again, I believe ETSU is a great team. You’ve done nothing more than to further my angry SoCon homer theory.

You said decade. Not this year alone. Words mean something. You need to be accurate if make claims. I can list 5-8 p5 teams much worse the last decade.

Utgrizfan
November 22nd, 2021, 01:27 PM
I don't think Kennesaw State can Overlook Davidson like many of you already are. Both teams run the option which means both teams know how to defend against the option. This could very well turn into a service Academy game where it is a legitimate slug match. I do think Kennesaw State is favored for having better athlete but by no means is this going to be a blowout

HootyHoo
November 22nd, 2021, 01:46 PM
I don't think Kennesaw State can Overlook Davidson like many of you already are. Both teams run the option which means both teams know how to defend against the option. This could very well turn into a service Academy game where it is a legitimate slug match. I do think Kennesaw State is favored for having better athlete but by no means is this going to be a blowout

Davidson got blown out by Jacksonville St 49-14 in the spring playoffs. KSU is one of the more athletic teams in the field. Davidson doesn't stand a chance. Owls by 30.

I think you will be surprised with how potent the Owls passing attack actually is. Hopefully, Montana and KSU meet up in the Semis. I've always wanted to play in Missoula.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 01:58 PM
You said decade. Not this year alone. Words mean something. You need to be accurate if make claims. I can list 5-8 p5 teams much worse the last decade.

Dear God let me fix it.

Vandy is *arguably* one of the top 10 worst P5 teams in the last decade. Source: ElCid

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 02:03 PM

I do believe we will win but I agree that it may not be pretty. I think Hooty and I are going to catch a lot of crap in the “round 2: KSU @ ETSU” thread because of what will likely be a not impressive win against a weaker Davidson. I hope I’m wrong and the game is a blowout but we’ll see.

MSUBobcat
November 22nd, 2021, 02:09 PM
Am i missing something? ETSU's defense is ranked 63rd in Total Defense in the FCS, 27th in scoring Defense. Those are pretty pedestrian numbers. KSU has a higher rank in both statistics(19th,16th). In fact, only one SOCON team has a better ranking than the Owls defense and that is Chattanooga(10th,12th), whom ETSU lost to...

Context... What you are missing is... context. The Owls haven't really played many decent, let alone "good", offenses. The best scoring offense Kenny has played was Monmouth (32ppg, 26th) and 4 of the 8 FCS teams they've played (omitting UNA b/c I couldn't find them on the NCAA statistics list (https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21) anywhere) are in the bottom 3rd of all of FCS (Wofford 89th, Jax 85th, NC A&T 82nd, and Bob Morris 92nd). Of those 8 FCS teams, they average 25.1ppg at an average rank of 65.1 and 358.4 ypg and an average rank of 63.6. Conversely, ETSU has faced 4 teams that are in the TOP 3rd of total scoring (Samford 6th, VMI 31st, WCU 25th and Mercer 29th). Of the 9 FCS teams that ETSU has faced, they average 28.1ppg with an average ranking of 50.67 and 385.8 ypg (48.33 average ranking).

Does that mean ETSU's defense is better or worse? No. But saying KSU's defense is better because they have better raw numbers omits the fact that they aren't playing high powered offenses.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 02:10 PM
I'm not even sure Vandy is the weakest P5 team of this YEAR. Arizona HAS to be in contention for that claim. They lost to NAU, whose other wins were the cellar dwellers of the BSC (ISU-o, SUU, Idaho, and Cal Poly) and NAU even lost to Northern Colorado. Massey has Vandy at 118, with 'Zona at 116.
The fact that an SEC school is ranked below a team as trash as Arizona kinda = they are in some league of bottom dwellers in P5. ElCid said there were 5-8 teams worse than them this decade so I wasn’t far off and still makes my point that they suck. BUT AGAIN great win and an SEC scalp is an SEC scalp. We’re 0-3 against FBS, I’d brag like hell if we beat any P5 team, much less an SEC one.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 02:22 PM
Kennesaw St opens as 23.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 57.5.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 02:23 PM
Kennesaw St opens as 23.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 57.5.
I’d take the under and Davidson to cover. No joke.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 02:32 PM
I’d take the under and Davidson to cover. No joke.
I'd definitely agree with you on the under... this will be a low possession game so 8-10 scoring drives between the 2 teams to hit the over seems like a lot. Not sure Davidson will cover but we'll see.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 02:35 PM
I'd definitely agree with you on the under... this will be a low possession game so 8-10 scoring drives between the 2 teams to hit the over seems like a lot. Not sure Davidson will cover but we'll see.

We only beat “good” teams by more than 23 lol

*edited from 27 bc I messed up

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 04:42 PM

Yeah that could bite KSU, but I think it is safe to say if they play clean (turnovers, penalties, special teams), they will still come away with a 2-3 score win based on the talent. Davidson is not great or real bad, but while they can control clock against like teams in conf, they will be hard pressed to roll down the field against KSU. But who knows when it gets started.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 04:46 PM
Dear God let me fix it.

Vandy is *arguably* one of the top 10 worst P5 teams in the last decade. Source: ElCid

See that wasn't hard. You were trying to minimize ETSU's win by making a silly claim. Just fess up. But we can do this all over again next week. If you don't melt down down this week.

ScrappytheOwl
November 22nd, 2021, 05:16 PM
I do not think this game will be particularly close. I give KSU a pass against North Alabamma and Gardener Webb. Bohannon was clearly toying with implementing the Owl Raid aerial attack. Did you notice that when KSU went back to their triple option roots against Monmouth it was dominance? If KSU can incorporate their Owl Raid offense into the Triple option in the playoffs we will be hard to stop. It also helps having Xavier Shepherd at quarterback who is leading the FCS in rushing touchdowns. Davidson does not have the talent to match up with KSU.

Utgrizfan
November 22nd, 2021, 05:34 PM
Also this matchup is really helping ETSU funny enough. They now get 2 weeks to prepare for the Triple Option regardless of who wins.

ysubigred
November 22nd, 2021, 05:44 PM
Would love to see Davidson win this just to shut hooties ****ing mouth but, Owls by a lot..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 05:46 PM
Also this matchup is really helping ETSU funny enough. They now get 2 weeks to prepare for the Triple Option regardless of who wins.

From what I saw, Davidson and KSU's versions are not quite the same, but I think that is valid to a point.

BurialGround
November 22nd, 2021, 06:17 PM

Davidson's TO looks different from KSU's, I'd even call it a bit weird. But I can all but guarantee ETSU won't run a single rep of it in practice this week. There's no reason to (if Davidson somehow wins, then I'm sure they'll be confident one week of preparing for the Wildcats' TO will be enough). And yeah, I would call it a decent advantage to know exactly who you're going to play two weeks before you play them.

Chalupa Batman
November 22nd, 2021, 08:34 PM
Would love to see Davidson win this just to shut hooties ****ing mouth but, Owls by a lot..

Hell no! I’m cheering for the Owls to get to Fargo because I wanna see Hooty and the Bison fans talk smack for a week. And this Scrappy fella seems like he’s in the Hooty mold too. The thread leading up to that game will be fun. A ****show, but fun.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2021, 08:38 PM
KSU easy

In the meantime, We get to hear wonderful takes (https://twitter.com/mccrearyradio/status/1462950694265266178?s=20) by the KSU voice or whatever about how awful ETSU is throwing the ball. His evidence: Tyler Riddell was 22/30 for one touchdown and 170something yards against Furman. No picks. He threw the game winning touchdown pass in the final minutes. (For further context, this same guy says that it's invalid that Riddell is 19th in the country in pass efficiency and 12th among playoff QBs...this is "not acknowledging grass is green" levels of stupid)

I'm only bringing this up because this is a mindnumbingly dumb take and this dude deserves to be piled on lol Some KSU fans need to be bullied more.

ksu_owls
November 22nd, 2021, 09:06 PM
See that wasn't hard. You were trying to minimize ETSU's win by making a silly claim. Just fess up. But we can do this all over again next week. If you don't melt down down this week.

Coming from the guy who said they were “far from the worst” and then proclaims them somewhere between 6-9th worst out of how many teams?

They’re the only SEC school that wouldn’t make the FCS tournament. I think that sums up how we should view ETSU’s win.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 09:07 PM

not at all, let’s see Hooty and the blowfish go to Fargo

HootyHoo
November 22nd, 2021, 09:24 PM
not at all, let’s see Hooty and the blowfish go to Fargo

Lol, that was good. But you are correct, it is time for the two supreme powers of FCS to finally meet on the gridiron. Hooty has foretold of this. KSU will end the Bison dynasty. So let it written. So let it be done.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2021, 09:33 PM
Coming from the guy who said they were “far from the worst” and then proclaims them somewhere between 6-9th worst out of how many teams?

They’re the only SEC school that wouldn’t make the FCS tournament. I think that sums up how we should view ETSU’s win.

You keep hedging. Go look at records of the bottom P5 dwellers since 2010 and get back to me. It'll be educational.

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2021, 01:10 AM

Vanderbilt would most definitely make the playoffs. Vandy plays in the SEC, if you didn’t know it’s a pretty tough conference.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 06:49 AM
Vanderbilt would most definitely make the playoffs. Vandy plays in the SEC, if you didn’t know it’s a pretty tough conference.

“SEC! SEC! SEC!”

Why do all conference homers sound the same? This hypothetical situation is a weird hill to die on, so I’ll leave at this. The only sample we have would place them 2nd if not 3rd in the SoCon. FINALLY a reason UNI should not have been selected. I’m sure you’d make the argument they would lose to Vandy? Or no, let’s *hypothetically* assume they are in a weaker (lol) conference so you can force your argument to make sense.

Vandy is trash. They’ve been trash. I’ve been to more SEC football games than KSU only because of the massive difference in years they’ve existed.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 08:15 AM
“SEC! SEC! SEC!”

Why do all conference homers sound the same? This hypothetical situation is a weird hill to die on, so I’ll leave at this. The only sample we have would place them 2nd if not 3rd in the SoCon. FINALLY a reason UNI should not have been selected. I’m sure you’d make the argument they would lose to Vandy? Or no, let’s *hypothetically* assume they are in a weaker (lol) conference so you can force your argument to make sense.

Vandy is trash. They’ve been trash. I’ve been to more SEC football games than KSU only because of the massive difference in years they’ve existed.

Pretty interesting strategy to question an FBS win coming from a guy whose team can't beat Georgia State, has zero ranked wins this year, and plays in a conference that's 28-42 this year against D1.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 08:56 AM
Pretty interesting strategy to question an FBS win coming from a guy whose team can't beat Georgia State, has zero ranked wins this year, and plays in a conference that's 28-42 this year against D1.

Makes almost as much sense as a JSU fan trying to remain relevant. Any holes in my logic you want to critique or …. ?

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 08:59 AM
Makes almost as much sense as a JSU fan trying to remain relevant. Any holes in my logic you want to critique or …. ?

I like how you don't have any real rebuttal and your only response is "lul JSU". Even when I don't bring the team up.

It's almost like we're living in your head rent free.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 09:00 AM
I like how you don't have any real rebuttle and your only response is "lul JSU".

Gives you a lot of credibility.
If you have anything other than a meaningless observation I’ll be happy to rebuttal

BurialGround
November 23rd, 2021, 10:38 AM
It's almost like we're living in your head rent free.

Now THAT is an interesting comment, considering how omnipresent JSU fans are on any thread regarding KSU. Do you guys still make 5 threads about us on your message board every year?)

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 10:56 AM
Sorry for asking. Guess FUBeAR stumbled into the wrong thread. This thread appears to be about ETSU…and Vanderbilt (did they move to FCS?).

Do y’all know where FUBeAR can find the Davidson @ Kennesaw thread?

JacksFan40
November 23rd, 2021, 11:01 AM
“SEC! SEC! SEC!”

Look once your program can beat bottom of the barrel G5 teams like Georgia State and Kent State maybe you can talk. You KSU fans on this site have such an unmatched level of arrogance despite the fact that your program always gets steamrolled when it gets up against good teams. Have fun beating Davidson and maybe ETSU, I look forward to watching KSU get publicly executed by NDSU.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 12:17 PM
Lots of ETSU talk. Let's get back to the takes that matter: dunking on the KSU play-by-play guy on twitter. Not seeing nearly enough of that in this thread!

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 12:51 PM
Lots of ETSU talk. Let's get back to the takes that matter: dunking on the KSU play-by-play guy on twitter. Not seeing nearly enough of that in this thread!
Who?

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 02:19 PM
Look once your program can beat bottom of the barrel G5 teams like Georgia State and Kent State maybe you can talk. You KSU fans on this site have such an unmatched level of arrogance despite the fact that your program always gets steamrolled when it gets up against good teams. Have fun beating Davidson and maybe ETSU, I look forward to watching KSU get publicly executed by NDSU.

My comments have been:
- “We are 0-3 against FBS, I’d brag like hell if we beat an SEC school.”
- “Great win — not being sarcastic” [ETSU @ Vandy]
- “Vandy wouldn’t make the FCS playoffs” (haven’t seen any argument for them making it other than they are in the SEC?)
- “KSU @ ETSU would be a nail-biter if we advance”

I can’t speak for Hooty, but outside of him and a few rando’s that may occasionally pop up, where’s the arrogance? And who tf has steam rolled us?? Our worse playoff loss was by 10 points to SDSU. Our backup QB brought us to within a score of y’all in the 4Q.

Monmouth has beat us worse than any FCS school we’ve played (from memory, I know JSU fanboy will let us know if I’m wrong) and that same year we were a quarterfinal team.

If we happen to beat ETSU, my comment was “AGS would melt if we beat NDSU…anything can happen”

Do y’all read or just react with conference bias to every post?

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 02:29 PM
But most importantly… who are you claiming to have steamrolled us or are you just running your uneducated mouth?

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 02:45 PM
Who?

Some McCreary guy, who is trying really hard to say that ETSU's QB is struggling (or something). Riddell, ETSU's redshirt freshmen (R-SO if you count COVID) is 19th in the country in passing efficiency, second among listed freshmen, 11th or so among playoff QBs, aver about 200 yards a game, completing 64% including 16 TDs and only 3 picks. His evidence is that he was 22 or 30 for 177 yards 1 touchdown and a pick against Furman. In what universe is that bad?

https://twitter.com/village_terrier/status/1462936130421202954?s=20

It's abundantly obvious to me that he has ETSU-jealousy because the Bucs were climbing the rankings faster than KSU. He went so far to say they weren't a top 15 team in the FCS despite beating Vandy and being undefeated at the time. Regardless of your POV on the strength of the socon, anyone who watches FCS football could tell you the top 15 is the clearest cut bunch in the FCS (16-25 are hard to rank) and ETSU was clearly in it.

I really hate that my team loses to KSU and I think KSU is in the same boat as the socon in terms of getting hosed by unreasonable standards and regionalization when it comes to playoff time, and lots of KSU folks are nice people, but this dude is a joke who does not represent the program well (for being the voice of the owls or whatever). I'm not saying he should be canceled or anything like that, but he should definitely be bullied into better takes lol

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 02:47 PM
Probably won’t see much more of Jacksfan-40IQ in this thread. He’s either frantically searching ESPN to learn we out gained them by 100 yards and it was a 3pt score with 2:30 left in the 4Q or trying to change the definition of being steamrolled. Either one won’t work great for him.

Maybe you’ll get to finally see it this year. Our defense is legit and our offense has had questionable days. NDSU would be the most likely to steamroll us — for the first time in our playoff history. Is that where the good teams are?

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 02:49 PM
My comments have been:
- “We are 0-3 against FBS, I’d brag like hell if we beat an SEC school.”
- “Great win — not being sarcastic” [ETSU @ Vandy]
- “Vandy wouldn’t make the FCS playoffs” (haven’t seen any argument for them making it other than they are in the SEC?)
- “KSU @ ETSU would be a nail-biter if we advance”

I can’t speak for Hooty, but outside of him and a few rando’s that may occasionally pop up, where’s the arrogance? And who tf has steam rolled us?? Our worse playoff loss was by 10 points to SDSU. Our backup QB brought us to within a score of y’all in the 4Q.

Monmouth has beat us worse than any FCS school we’ve played (from memory, I know JSU fanboy will let us know if I’m wrong) and that same year we were a quarterfinal team.

If we happen to beat ETSU, my comment was “AGS would melt if we beat NDSU…anything can happen”

Do y’all read or just react with conference bias to every post?

My experience with KSU fans has been overall neutral. I've only blocked one of them on twitter who feigned positivity with me via DMed and then liked some negative tweets I said about my team in a very schadenfreude way after they stomped us. Didn't vibe with me that well.

Overall though, I don't want hooty to change and the folks I interact with online are pretty good here. I think KSU leaving the Big South will be a net positive for everyone because it's such a garbage conference and it's led to some fans/others associated with the program to have a swollen sense of worthiness, and it's only obnoxious (to me) because they act like they're so much better than other teams (see my last post about mccreary guy)

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 02:52 PM
My experience with KSU fans has been overall neutral. I've only blocked one of them on twitter who feigned positivity with me via DMed and then liked some negative tweets I said about my team in a very schadenfreude way after they stomped us. Didn't vibe with me that well.

Overall though, I don't want hooty to change and the folks I interact with online are pretty good here. I think KSU leaving the Big South will be a net positive for everyone because it's such a garbage conference and it's led to some fans/others associated with the program to have a swollen sense of worthiness, and it's only obnoxious (to me) because they act like they're so much better than other teams (see my last post about mccreary guy)

I enjoy your posts because you can say honest things about our weaknesses without pointing to dumb made up scenarios as your evidence. I only get snappy with people who aren’t even trying.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 02:57 PM
I enjoy your posts because you can say honest things about our weaknesses without pointing to dumb made up scenarios as your evidence. I only get snappy with people who aren’t even trying.

Well you see, this is what FCS posting is nowadays. The winning teams' fans don't have to provide nuanced evidence, they just need their team to win and all their arguments are correct. It's why FCS is kind of a joke right now, because this wasn't the case a decade ago (even if a decade ago we had wonderfully dumb discourse about "southern speed" or whatever)

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 03:04 PM
Well you see, this is what FCS posting is nowadays. The winning teams' fans don't have to provide nuanced evidence, they just need their team to win and all their arguments are correct. It's why FCS is kind of a joke right now, because this wasn't the case a decade ago (even if a decade ago we had wonderfully dumb discourse about "southern speed" or whatever)

My original intent of being on this site (2017, first year we made the playoffs) was to get some indicator of where we were in relation to “real” teams because I knew the big south was a joke.

Since then I’ve enjoyed watching us do everything BUT be steamrolled by teams that have no argument other than their conference affiliation. We’ve even won some impressive games, but you won’t often read that here.

Mfergy4
November 23rd, 2021, 03:04 PM
Sorry for asking. Guess FUBeAR stumbled into the wrong thread. This thread appears to be about ETSU…and Vanderbilt (did they move to FCS?).

Do y’all know where FUBeAR can find the Davidson @ Kennesaw thread?

I have to agree with FUBeAr....looked at this thread to gain insight into the game and I think I am in a Pro Tennis match with hot slams about future football play-off wishes. Gotta play the game before you can count the win folks!

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 03:14 PM
I have to agree with FUBeAr....looked at this thread to gain insight into the game and I think I am in a Pro Tennis match with hot slams about future football play-off wishes. Gotta play the game before you can count the win folks!LOL - yeah, I just dropped back in to see if anyone had responded to my request for directions to the Davidson @ Kennesaw thread and see this one has now moved on past Round 2 and is becoming a discussion of the upcoming Quarterfinals matchup with NDSU.

DM, please, if you would, if they are ever start a Round 1 game thread.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 03:29 PM
LOL - yeah, I just dropped back in to see if anyone had responded to my request for directions to the Davidson @ Kennesaw thread and see this one has now moved on past Round 2 and is becoming a discussion of the upcoming Quarterfinals matchup with NDSU.

We’ll be discussing Frisco in the next hour lol

A lot of distractions, many of which I’m responsible for, the Davidson game just feels like another Big South game and I’d rather talk Owls then everyone agree we “should win but nothing is guaranteed” and move on.

Anyone have any info on Davidson that would make this a fun read that aligns with the topic? I hear they run a version of the TO.

I’m guessing we will win but they cover the -23.5

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 03:30 PM
Some McCreary guy, who is trying really hard to say that ETSU's QB is struggling (or something). Riddell, ETSU's redshirt freshmen (R-SO if you count COVID) is 19th in the country in passing efficiency, second among listed freshmen, 11th or so among playoff QBs, aver about 200 yards a game, completing 64% including 16 TDs and only 3 picks. His evidence is that he was 22 or 30 for 177 yards 1 touchdown and a pick against Furman. In what universe is that bad?

https://twitter.com/village_terrier/status/1462936130421202954?s=20

It's abundantly obvious to me that he has ETSU-jealousy because the Bucs were climbing the rankings faster than KSU. He went so far to say they weren't a top 15 team in the FCS despite beating Vandy and being undefeated at the time. Regardless of your POV on the strength of the socon, anyone who watches FCS football could tell you the top 15 is the clearest cut bunch in the FCS (16-25 are hard to rank) and ETSU was clearly in it.

I really hate that my team loses to KSU and I think KSU is in the same boat as the socon in terms of getting hosed by unreasonable standards and regionalization when it comes to playoff time, and lots of KSU folks are nice people, but this dude is a joke who does not represent the program well (for being the voice of the owls or whatever). I'm not saying he should be canceled or anything like that, but he should definitely be bullied into better takes lol
I'm struggling to see how Kennesaw got hosed in the playoffs. They drew a bye week without even needing a seed.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 03:33 PM
I'm struggling to see how Kennesaw got hosed in the playoffs. They drew a bye week without even needing a seed.
No complaints here. Being familiar with ETSU feels like our best chance at another quarterfinals run.

But we can’t say it’s a “bye week” because there is a strong demand for us to talk about alllll the possibilities of the Davidson game………..

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 03:35 PM
No complaints here. Being familiar with ETSU feels like our best chance at another quarterfinals run.

But we can’t say it’s a “bye week” because there is a strong demand for us to talk about alllll the possibilities of the Davidson game………..
Nobody cares about Davidson.

And if you are someone who reads the above and is mad about me not taking your program seriously then maybe get some scholarships and take your program seriously.

ETSUfan1
November 23rd, 2021, 03:43 PM
LOL

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 03:48 PM

And if you are someone who reads the above and is mad about me not taking your program seriously then maybe get some scholarships and take your program seriously.

Yea I don’t have any control over that but I’m enjoying FCS football. Can’t we have like 15-20 years before we move? Our stadium will be upgraded in 5 and we may even trick more than 6k people to come to games.

Plus, to Hooty’s obnoxious point, we will be a title contender in FCS. It would take a miracle for that to happen this year, but it’s fun learning more about these other conferences and teams that I’ll never remember once we do move up.

NOW BACK TO THE MOST INTERESTING TOPIC AVAILABLE: DAVIDSON

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 03:54 PM
Yea I don’t have any control over that but I’m enjoying FCS football. Can’t we have like 15-20 years before we move? Our stadium will be upgraded in 5 and we may even trick more than 6k people to come to games.

Plus, to Hooty’s obnoxious point, we will be a title contender in FCS. It would take a miracle for that to happen this year, but it’s fun learning more about these other conferences and teams that I’ll never remember once we do move up.

Truth be told, I think Kennesaw is like SHSU. No matter how much success you guys have, no one will go to your games. The Bank isn't even that big and you guys can't fill that. I'm pretty sure the biggest game Kennesaw ever had attendance-wise was when we went to 5OT in SunTrust (which I still think needs to be a yearly game).

The problem is most of the student body really doesn't care. You guys win over students and in time the numbers will rise.

But as far as FBS goes, upgrading the Bank doesn't move the needle for facilities. You guys need a real stadium.

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2021, 03:54 PM

The karma of Steph Curry will lead to Davidson winning by a "3 pointer." (field goal)

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 04:04 PM
Truth be told, I think Kennesaw is like SHSU. No matter how much success you guys have, no one will go to your games. The Bank isn't even that big and you guys can't fill that. I'm pretty sure the biggest game Kennesaw ever had attendance-wise was when we went to 5OT is SunTrust (which I still think needs to be a yearly game).

The problem is most of the student body really doesn't care. You guys win over students and in time the numbers will rise.

But as far as FBS goes, upgrading the Bank doesn't move the needle for facilities. You guys need a real stadium.
Being in metro Atlanta it would take clearing out an established neighborhood or hoping the huge mall down the road eventually closes (this could actually happen).

I agree the SunTrust (now Truist Park) game was amazing and should happen more often. Most people in Georgia have heard of NDSU but that’s it for FCS— they don’t care to watch a peewee league when the team of their childhood is hosting Game Day every other week.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 04:07 PM
The karma of Steph Curry will lead to Davidson winning by a "3 pointer." (field goal)
If they bring a basketball out we will get crushed lol

They do have impressive stats, and it would be mighty hypocritical of me to assume they are trash because of their conference. Wait no they aren’t even full FCS scholarship so it’s actually fair to say they probably won’t win.

ScrappytheOwl
November 23rd, 2021, 04:19 PM
People have seemed to calm down too much on this thread. Let me change that. xlolx

See below for a list of why KSU is so great.
-KSU is the winningest program in their 1st 5 years of any football program ever. KSU is the blueprint of how to start a football program.
-KSU has 70 straight games of over 150 yards rushing
-KSU has been ranked in the top 25 for 58 straight weeks
-KSU is 1st in the fcs in 4th down conversion success rate, 2nd in passing yards per completion, 3rd in red zone defense, and 4th in rushing yards per play
-If you dont know "dos equis" you will.

https://ksuowls.com/news/2021/10/30/football-hills-last-second-touchdown-lifts-owls-over-gardner-webb.aspx

In all seriousness though, like I previously mentioned, I am pretty confident in beating davidson. I think the ETSU game will be closer but I still think KSU wins. It is just hard for me to belive ETSU will out run KSU even given their monster at RB. Going into Fargo and beating NDST is going to be tough. Not many teams go into Fargo and leave with a W.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 04:39 PM
Being in metro Atlanta it would take clearing out an established neighborhood or hoping the huge mall down the road eventually closes (this could actually happen).

This statement is so dumb.

"Boohoo we're in the 5th largest metro in the nation and we can't find 5000 people to come to our game because Athens is 100 miles away. Despite having a 40k+ enrollment"

We draw 20k 90 miles away in Barn and Bama territory. And our student body is a fifth of the size of yall. And a good chunk of our fans drive over from ATL for GameDay.

It's hogwash. It's just that the school doesn't put any emphasis on the football team or going to the games. If Bohanon gets hired away you guys are screwed.

If we can do it you guys should be able to. You guys have a helluva lot more money than us. The administration just has to want it and I really don't think they care.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2021, 04:50 PM

"Boohoo we're in the 5th largest metro in the nation and we can't find 5000 people to come to our game because Athens is 100 miles away. Despite having a 40k+ enrollment"

We draw 20k 90 miles away in Barn and Bama territory. And our student body is a fifth of the size of yall. And a good chunk of our fans drive over from ATL for GameDay.

It's hogwash. It's just that the school doesn't put any emphasis on the football team or going to the games. If Bohanon gets hired away you guys are screwed.

If we can do it you guys should be able to. You guys have a helluva lot more money than us. The administration just has to want it and I really don't think they care.

Serious question.

I don't follow JSU so I ask you. Can JSU raise the $$ necessary to compete in the FBS?

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 04:53 PM
Serious question.

I don't follow JSU so I ask you. Can JSU raise the $$ necessary to compete in the FBS?

Truthfully, Im kinda wondering that myself. But my comment was specifically about being able to pack out a stadium.

I think JSU is in a good spot from a facilities standpoint as we will be one of the top in CUSA from day 1. If CUSA can find a way to help us limit travel to New Mexico I think we'll be fine. But it's really a topic for a different thread.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 05:07 PM

So…you’re saying 1 of UNI’s 6 “D1” wins was over a non-serious program (non-scholarship, St Thomas…who Davidson curb-stomped, BTW…so I guess St. Thomas is WAY less serious than Davidson).

So…just wondering…are Scholarshipped D2 & NAIA Teams more or less “serious” than non-scholarship “D1” Teams?

Sorry…FUBeAR has now taken this laser-focused thread off-topic. Just ignore the preceding text / questions.

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 05:15 PM
If people are interested in Davidson's version of the Triple vs the Owl's. The Wildcats run a "Zone based" system whereas the Owls run a "Veer based" option. (The Veer obviously created by Matthew Mconaughay in the Marshall movie).

Now you ask "Pray tell Hooty, What is the difference between a Zone based TO vs Veer Based?" Well i'm glad you asked my curious and convenient friend. The main difference obviously is Davidson lines up predominantly in the Shotgun. This allows them to incorparate the bubble screen into the option while running the zone-read mesh. A popular play at all levels of Football.

Another difference is the blocking scheme. I'm sure most people have heard of a zone blocking scheme, this is what Davidson runs. So not a lot of cut-blocking like the Owls. Hooty also will note the Tight end position is a threat in this system. The Wildcats like to slip the end into the seam for a quick hitting big play.

Now for the Owls famed Spread Option. To understand the greatest offensive system one must understand the History of Option football. Into the time machine we go....

It's 1906 and a man named Pop Warner has invented the Single Wing offense, his star player? Top 5 American athlete of all time Jim Thorpe. This system getes spread around the country popping up most notably at Tennesee under General Neyland, William Alexander of Georgia Tech, Wallace Wade of Alabama. Moving on....

It's 1940 and the bright boys of Stanford think it's a great idea to put three running backs in the backfield to create the "T-Formation". This proves to be more effective than the Single wing mainly due to it being easier to pass from the T. George Halas of the Chicago Bears sees this system, implements it, and beats the Washington Football team (not their name then btw) 73-0 in the 1940 NFL championship. The Single wing is extinct in pro football 10 years later and the era of the Wing T is born...

Part 2 Hooty pontificates on the History of Option Football coming soon!

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 05:18 PM

Think beyond your desire to prove me wrong. We have sellouts every year. We also rarely play a team that more than 0.0001% of our student population has ever heard of.

There are a lot of kids in the stands that will come to KSU games with their families for generations to come. Tradition must be one of the biggest factors in FCS attendance (at least in the South/South East). Competition is something we don’t often see at 5/3rd bank— it’s simply not fun.

My metro Atlanta comment was primarily about available land? I have made comments in the past about competing entertainment options, I admit. I even skip some games to play golf because who cares about Point or whoever.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 05:18 PM
Not many teams go into Fargo and leave with a W.
29 Playoff Teams have tried. 1 has emerged with a victory.

It’s like playing in the pitch dark & the bizuns are equipped with night goggles.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 05:27 PM
If people are interested in Davidson's version of the Triple vs the Owl's. The Wildcats run a "Zone based" system whereas the Owls run a "Veer based" option. (The Veer obviously created by Matthew Mconaughay in the Marshall movie).

Now you ask "Pray tell Hooty, What is the difference between a Zone based TO vs Veer Based?" Well i'm glad you asked my curious and convenient friend. The main difference obviously is Davidson lines up predominantly in the Shotgun. This allows them to incorparate the bubble screen into the option while running the zone-read mesh. A popular play at all levels of Football.

Another difference is the blocking scheme. I'm sure most people have heard of a zone blocking scheme, this is what Davidson runs. So not a lot of cut-blocking like the Owls. Hooty also will note the Tight end position is a threat in this system. The Wildcats like to slip the end into the seam for a quick hitting big play.

Now for the Owls famed Spread Option. To understand the greatest offensive system one must understand the History of Option football. Into the time machine we go....

It's 1906 and a man named Pop Warner has invented the Single Wing offense, his star player? Top 5 American athlete of all time Jim Thorpe. This system getes spread around the country popping up most notably at Tennesee under General Neyland, William Alexander of Georgia Tech, Wallace Wade of Alabama. Moving on....

It's 1940 and the bright boys of Stanford think it's a great idea to put three running backs in the backfield to create the "T-Formation". This proves to be more effective than the Single wing mainly due to it being easier to pass from the T. George Halas of the Chicago Bears sees this system, implements it, and beats the Washington Football team (not their name then btw) 73-0 in the 1940 NFL championship. The Single wing is extinct in pro football 10 years later and the era of the Wing T is born...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=305HYAefDRE

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2021, 05:41 PM
LOL - yeah, I just dropped back in to see if anyone had responded to my request for directions to the Davidson @ Kennesaw thread and see this one has now moved on past Round 2 and is becoming a discussion of the upcoming Quarterfinals matchup with NDSU.

xoutofrepx

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 05:56 PM
FUBeAR won’t try to compete with Hooty’s recent pièce de résistance…but he does find this interesting about the Formerly-Mildcats…

Scott Abell enters his fourth season on the Wildcat sideline after being named the program’s 28th head coach in January 2018.

In just his third year at the helm, Abell led Davidson to its first conference crown in over 50 years, winning the Pioneer Football League and earning the programs first postseason berth in 52 seasons and a trip to the FCS Playoffs.

In the unorthodox 2020-21 season, Abell and the ‘Cats faced the most daunting schedule in the modern era, opening at nationally ranked Elon and facing top-25 foe San Diego, where he earned the school’s first ranked win on the road in Southern California, snapping the Torero’s FCS record-tying 39-game conference win streak.

Davidson has clearly supplanted the San Diego Toreros as the Top Team in the PFL.

Due to geography, San Diego was usually matched up with the Big Sky’s best in the Playoffs…on the road, of course. Now FUBeAR’s sorta becoming a Silverback Bear (if that’s a thing) these days…so the memory ain’t always great…but FUBeAR just seems to remember the Toreros regularly whipping the Big Sky’s best in Round 1.

Don’t see Davidson being able to duplicate those feats in their new role as TopCat of the PFL because they will usually be paired up with solid Teams from the SoCon (assuming the SoCon doesn’t secede from the FCS…the bellhops on the battery have loaded their cannons) that will rub their faces in their own litter box.

We really should fight against this Regionalization thing so Davidson could get the chance to go out and ‘get some’ of those sweet & easy Playoff wins vs. the Big Sky’s best too.

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 06:14 PM
Part 2

Now we getto the KSU version of the Triple Option. The Flexbone created by Paul Johnson. It breaks the wishbone and moves the Slotbacks closer to the line of scrimmage. This allows the backs to be utilized as receivers usually matched up on linebackers and safeties. PJ designed the system with Air Raid concepts. Basically the Triple Option meets the Run and Shoot. June Jones had a big impact on old Paul.

Xavier Shepherd is a true dual threat QB. The Owls are one of the most efficient passing teams in the country. Ranked 1st in the FCS in Team pass efficiency and passing yards per completion. They don't call it the Owl Raid for nothing.

This offense dominated the FCS from 1982 to 2002. Now it has returned to end North Dakota State's reign of terror. Enjoy these last two weeks Bison fans. The Owls are coming.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 06:20 PM
Part 2

Now we getto the KSU version of the Triple Option. The Flexbone created by Paul Johnson. It breaks the wishbone and moves the Slotbacks closer to the line of scrimmage. This allows the backs to be utilized as receivers usually matched up on linebackers and safeties. PJ designed the system with Air Raid concepts. Basically the Triple Option meets the Run and Shoot. June Jones had a big impact on old Paul.

Xavier Shepherd is a true dual threat QB. The Owls are one of the most efficient passing teams in the country. Ranked 1st in the FCS in Team pass efficiency and passing yards per completion. They don't call it the Owl Raid for nothing.

This offense dominated the FCS from 1982 to 2002. Now it has returned to end North Dakota State's reign of terror. Enjoy these last two weeks Bison fans. The Owls are coming.

Is there an AGS HOF? If so, I’d like to submit a candidate.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 06:36 PM
Is there an AGS HOF? If so, I’d like to submit a candidate.Part 2 pales in comparison to Part 1.

Identifying Matthew McConaughey as the Father of the Veer Offense is the kind of savant-like constructs we haven’t seen since GSU88 disappeared from TheUFFP.

Hmmmm? Could it be?

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2021, 06:58 PM

Did you have a part in The outlaw Josie Wales ?

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2021, 06:58 PM
Part 2

That's really impressive. Just get out of the first round and start beating good teams. You have a legit path to NDSU. We will talk after that game.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2021, 07:07 PM
That's really impressive. Just get out of the first round and start beating good teams. You have a legit path to NDSU. We will talk after that game.
Hooty won't be around after that game.

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2021, 07:08 PM
Part 2

Georgia Southern and Wofford brought the TO into Fargo and both got beat in some classic playoff games

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2021, 07:10 PM
What would happen if Davidson goes all San Diego vs Big Sky on the Owls? We may be able to put this thread right alongside the legendary Official 2013 Chattanooga, Who is laughing now? Thread (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?135592-Official-2013-Chattanooga-Who-is-laughing-now-Thread&highlight=official+chattanooga) in whatever Hall of XXXX they would reside in.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 07:17 PM
What would happen if Davidson goes all San Diego vs Big Sky on the Owls? We may be able to put this thread right alongside the legendary Official 2013 Chattanooga, Who is laughing now? Thread (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?135592-Official-2013-Chattanooga-Who-is-laughing-now-Thread&highlight=official+chattanooga) in whatever Hall of XXXX they would reside in.

Thank you for bringing us back to topic.

I do not think we will beat Davidson decisively. There’s more evidence (this season) that it’ll be close rather than a blowout. This doesn’t mean we aren’t capable of being a good team, we have just consistently played mediocre football against terrible teams— except maybe the JSU game. That’s the one terrible team we played well on defense. Offense could have been much better but we did our job.

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 07:22 PM

So this is the famous Chattown I have heard so much about? This thread is great. I’m not worried about sharing his fate. I predict a 41-17. Victory for the Owls on Saturday .

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2021, 07:25 PM
So this is the famous Chattown I have heard so much about? This thread is great. I’m not worried about sharing his fate. I predict a 41-17. Victory for the Owls on Saturday .

Confidence is one thing; and a good thing. Arrogance is bad karma. It can be a fine line.

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 07:49 PM
Confidence is one thing; and a good thing. Arrogance is bad karma. It can be a fine line.

As the Braves legend Guillermo Heredia says “It’s the playoffs. Be cocky.” That’s my mentality. Be cocky. KSU is ready for this opportunity. I will say it out right. I guarantee that the KSU Owls will beat the Davidson Wildcats. Then the Owls are going to end the SOCON champ’s season again. No Fear.

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2021, 08:04 PM

Did you just literally "predict" exactly what 5dimes opened at? xthumbsupx

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 08:09 PM

Looks like a pretty good prediction to me.

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 08:09 PM

Hooty text me his prediction after the selection show. 5dimes is copying him lol

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 08:22 PM
Hooty text me his prediction after the selection show. 5dimes is copying him lol

Lol see. That’s teamwork. Thank you good sir.

I can’t help reading that 2013 Chattown thread. Man that is a blast from the past. It’s like looking into the previous era of FCS. So much is different, The SOCON was still relevant, Professor Chaos was hilarious(that song was inspired), Good stuff.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 10:14 PM
Truth be told, I think Kennesaw is like SHSU. No matter how much success you guys have, no one will go to your games. The Bank isn't even that big and you guys can't fill that. I'm pretty sure the biggest game Kennesaw ever had attendance-wise was when we went to 5OT in SunTrust (which I still think needs to be a yearly game).

The problem KSU has is that the "event" that is their football games is just really boring, and worth staying the 3 hours or so to watch. It's not because KSU is bad, it's because the Big South is awful. And the fact that KSU runs the option, which many generic "walmart" football fans think is a boring offense, that doesn't help either.

Just glancing back to 2017, the year they were first eligible for the playoffs, they are 28-2 at home. One of those losses was in the playoffs, in December, when a lot of students are home. I was at the first Wofford-KSU game and the student section was empty-that's not a knock on KSU, ALL student sections outside the usual suspects are lackluster in December because of exams and holidays and other things at this level

But the point is, of those 28 wins since 2017, only 5 were within 7 points or OT. And even then, there's lots of caveats. One of those was the JSU game at a somewhat neutral venue. One of those games was Wofford in the playoffs in 2018. Of the remaining 3, one was against Charleston Southern in the COVID year, one was North Greenville early in the 2017 season (right before KSU caught fire IMO), and one was *this season* against Gardner Webb a few weeks ago.

So, if you're a KSU student who is a total normie who watches football and goes to campus events, but isn't the kind of person to get super involved (which is most student sections, Bamas often clears out after half time if it's a blowout), through 30 games in 4 years, you likely only watched them lose to Monmouth in 2019 (which was a blowout), you probably didn't go to the playoff games because of exams and holidays, including the one they lost and were competitive with Wofford, you didn't see them have a close-ish game against Charleston Southern last year.

Put simply, the Gardner Webb game is the only recent game they've been to where KSU didn't win easily. That doesn't attract student sections, especially when you run the option. There's no drama, no big names, and you're much more likely to win by 20 than anything else (they've won 17 games by 19+ points at home since 2017). Why go?

In short, yes, it helps Kennesaw on some level to play in a weak conference and winning football games is the whole point, but the Big South has been awful for them. It stiffles enthusiasm for their brand and it doesn't put them in a position to go far in the playoffs. It doesn't prep them for a tough, deep run and the committee will unlikely give them a seed outside of 4.

I think the ASun or whatever they're forming will be better, but even then, that's a little suspect with JSU leaving.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 10:32 PM

Anyone slated to to Fargo in the quarterfinals is, in my view, hosed. That game is unwinnable unless you are the actual next coming of an FCS superpower (see JMU 2016).

KSU, like most teams not in the MVFC/Big Sky will only rarely host a quarterfinal game until they have a crazy good season where they blow out 8 of 10 opponents by 14 points plus.

You can blame that particular instance on scheduling (I would agree with that assessment), but there's standards creep going on for everyone outside of the big sky/MVFC. To use one data point, from 2013-2016, there were 4 teams not named SHSU/JMU and hosted a quarterfinals game. Since 2017, omitting the weirdness of the COVID year, there have been only one: Kennesaw, in 2018. I'm not sure if they will be able to pull that off again. It really depends on what a post JMU/JSU/SHSU FCS looks like (those are literally the only other teams not from the Big Sky/MVFC to host since 2017)

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 10:47 PM
KSU, like most teams not in the MVFC/Big Sky will only rarely host a quarterfinal game until they have a crazy good season where they blow out 8 of 10 opponents by 14 points plus.

If the Playoff Selection Committee wants KSU to host a quarterfinal game, then they will spin up those 14 plus point blowouts of 8 out of 10 opponents as the logic for seeding KSU in the Top 4.

If the Playoff Selection Committee doesn’t want KSU to host a quarterfinal game, then they will spin up equally as strong alternate logic for seeding KSU outside the Top 4, if they are seeded at all.

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 10:57 PM
The problem KSU has is that the "event" that is their football games is just really boring, and worth staying the 3 hours or so to watch. It's not because KSU is bad, it's because the Big South is awful. And the fact that KSU runs the option, which many generic "walmart" football fans think is a boring offense, that doesn't help either.

Just glancing back to 2017, the year they were first eligible for the playoffs, they are 28-2 at home. One of those losses was in the playoffs, in December, when a lot of students are home. I was at the first Wofford-KSU game and the student section was empty-that's not a knock on KSU, ALL student sections outside the usual suspects are lackluster in December because of exams and holidays and other things at this level

But the point is, of those 28 wins since 2017, only 5 were within 7 points or OT. And even then, there's lots of caveats. One of those was the JSU game at a somewhat neutral venue. One of those games was Wofford in the playoffs in 2018. Of the remaining 3, one was against Charleston Southern in the COVID year, one was North Greenville early in the 2017 season (right before KSU caught fire IMO), and one was *this season* against Gardner Webb a few weeks ago.

So, if you're a KSU student who is a total normie who watches football and goes to campus events, but isn't the kind of person to get super involved (which is most student sections, Bamas often clears out after half time if it's a blowout), through 30 games in 4 years, you likely only watched them lose to Monmouth in 2019 (which was a blowout), you probably didn't go to the playoff games because of exams and holidays, including the one they lost and were competitive with Wofford, you didn't see them have a close-ish game against Charleston Southern last year.

Put simply, the Gardner Webb game is the only recent game they've been to where KSU didn't win easily. That doesn't attract student sections, especially when you run the option. There's no drama, no big names, and you're much more likely to win by 20 than anything else (they've won 17 games by 19+ points at home since 2017). Why go?

In short, yes, it helps Kennesaw on some level to play in a weak conference and winning football games is the whole point, but the Big South has been awful for them. It stiffles enthusiasm for their brand and it doesn't put them in a position to go far in the playoffs. It doesn't prep them for a tough, deep run and the committee will unlikely give them a seed outside of 4.

I think the ASun or whatever they're forming will be better, but even then, that's a little suspect with JSU leaving.

The Big South served it's purpose as an incubator for the program. Coastal and Liberty leaving was a double edged sword. On one side, it removed two major roadblocks to the auto bid. But on the other, it removed any semblance of competitive balance from the conference. As you say, it resulted in a bunch of blowouts against outmanned opponents.

However, all that winning has its benefits. It allowed KSU to build an outstanding culture based on the E.A.T. motto, winning, and teamwork. It might sound cliche but that culture saved us vs GW and UNA. Our winning habits kicked in and pulled out the W both times. This also helps in recruiting and the Transfer Portal, where we already have a reputation for success.

I do agree with you that it is time for KSU to move on. The ASUN has nice potential but it has lost some of its luster since JSU bailed and I have my doubts in the commisioner's competence. If KSU bailed too, Would you welcome KSU into the SOCON? It makes sense. SOCON needs a boost and KSU needs local rivalries that will attract fans. Thoughts?

ksu_owls
November 23rd, 2021, 11:03 PM
Anyone slated to to Fargo in the quarterfinals is, in my view, hosed. That game is unwinnable unless you are the actual next coming of an FCS superpower (see JMU 2016).

You can blame that particular instance on scheduling (I would agree with that assessment), but there's standards creep going on for everyone outside of the big sky/MVFC. To use one data point, from 2013-2016, there were 4 teams not named SHSU/JMU and hosted a quarterfinals game. Since 2017, omitting the weirdness of the COVID year, there have been only one: Kennesaw, in 2018. I'm not sure if they will be able to pull that off again. It really depends on what a post JMU/JSU/SHSU FCS looks like (those are literally the only other teams not from the Big Sky/MVFC to host since 2017)

I learn a lot about FCS from you! You add value to every thread I’ve ever seen you comment on— thanks for both posts!

I hope the move to the ASUN 1) happens as planned and 2) starts a trend towards more competitive/higher quality games for the Owls.

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 11:20 PM
FUBeAR would wholeheartedly welcome KSU to the SoCon, along with Richmond, William & Mary, and Davidson (with 63 Football Scholarships). FUBeAR would even grudgingly concede to let E*Loan back in. FUBeAR would, in addition, consider UT Martín, Tennessee Tech, and APSU for SoCon membership. Happy to have SC State (once their overall school’s and Athletics finances are in order and solid); elated to have NC A&T join also.

Would Kennesaw be willing to deposit the standard $1M exit fee in an escrow account in advance? We know y’all are good for it, but with JSU skipping town on the OVC recently…well, you know how Lawyers are. Oh, also…those dang Lawyers made the SoCon add an additional $1M buyout if ‘you’ leave the SoCon to go FBS. With the untold riches, veritable pot of gold, at the end of the FBS rainbow, that should be mere pin money for any school going in that direction. If we’re all good the terms, FUBeAR will have SoCon Commissioner Schaus get the paperwork started Wed. AM.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 11:24 PM
I do agree with you that it is time for KSU to move on. The ASUN has nice potential but it has lost some of its luster since JSU bailed and I have my doubts in the commisioner's competence. If KSU bailed too, Would you welcome KSU into the SOCON? It makes sense. SOCON needs a boost and KSU needs local rivalries that will attract fans. Thoughts?

For football, I would love it and welcome it. It would work for everyone, and with JMU/SHSU/JSU leaving, cement the conference as the new "power" conference.

But for basketball, and I say this with all due respect and humor, y'all can **** clean off xlolxxlolxxlolx . Would ruin our RPI/Net big time. Football only would be a nice compromise.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2021, 11:28 PM
I learn a lot about FCS from you! You add value to every thread I’ve ever seen you comment on— thanks for both posts!

I hope the move to the ASUN 1) happens as planned and 2) starts a trend towards more competitive/higher quality games for the Owls.

You are a minority here. Everyone hates my takes, I kinda wanna lean into it lol

HootyHoo
November 23rd, 2021, 11:31 PM
For football, I would love it and welcome it. It would work for everyone, and with JMU/SHSU/JSU leaving, cement the conference as the new "power" conference.

But for basketball, and I say this with all due respect and humor, y'all can **** clean off xlolxxlolxxlolx . Would ruin our RPI/Net big time. Football only would be a nice compromise.

lol the basketball team has potential! Besides, our baseball program is legit. We made it to the Super Regionals a few years back. Two out of three ain't bad. Full memebership is a requirement. And no Fubear, we are not putting the exit fee in an escrow account. xlolx

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2021, 11:37 PM
lol the basketball team has potential! Besides, our baseball program is legit. We made it to the Super Regionals a few years back. Two out of three ain't bad. Full memebership is a requirement. And no Fubear, we are not putting the exit fee in an escrow account. xlolx
We can ease y’all in slowly if you get (a lot) better in hoops…

…but the escrowed Buyout fee is non-negotiable (Thank the Cocks for that clause)

Oh well…we tried.

https://c.tenor.com/jqpE5sL3RtkAAAAM/c-ya-dueces.gif

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2021, 03:07 AM

Wrong

The Big South has put them on the map

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Wrong

Y’all really don’t read lol

He says it has helped us but it’s also basically our achilles heel. Tons of logic up there you’re missing out on.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Y’all really don’t read lol

He says it has helped us but it’s also basically our achilles heel. Tons of logic up there you’re missing out on.

Logic? A lot of what he said is not specific to Kennesaw State, just condense it and it fits a host is schools

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Logic? A lot of what he said is not specific to Kennesaw State, just condense it and it fits a host is schools
The only thing you said was “wrong”. Which part? There are plenty of negatives to playing in the Big South/or other weak conferences. It has also helped us, which I believe we all agree on?

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Probably won’t see much more of Jacksfan-40IQ in this thread. He’s either frantically searching ESPN to learn we out gained them by 100 yards and it was a 3pt score with 2:30 left in the 4Q or trying to change the definition of being steamrolled. Either one won’t work great for him.

Maybe you’ll get to finally see it this year. Our defense is legit and our offense has had questionable days. NDSU would be the most likely to steamroll us — for the first time in our playoff history. Is that where the good teams are?
I can see this thread left me behind, but we still beat you by 10. It was arguably our weakest team between 2016 and this year as well, considering we had just lost two of our greatest players the year before. We went on to get steamrolled by the Bison in Fargo.

Maybe you guys will beat the Bison this year, they are definitely not the dominant force they used to be, but I doubt it.

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Lol see. That’s teamwork. Thank you good sir.

I can’t help reading that 2013 Chattown thread. Man that is a blast from the past. It’s like looking into the previous era of FCS. So much is different, The SOCON was still relevant, Professor Chaos was hilarious(that song was inspired), Good stuff.
We also had legitimate teams running the option like Georgia Southern as well. Not so much of that anymore, how times change.

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2021, 08:38 AM
I can see this thread left me behind, but we still beat you by 10. It was arguably our weakest team between 2016 and this year as well, considering we had just lost two of our greatest players the year before. We went on to get steamrolled by the Bison in Fargo.

Maybe you guys will beat the Bison this year, they are definitely not the dominant force they used to be, but I doubt it.

Just happy you’re man enough to admit you had no idea that we have yet to be steamrolled. We all say dumb unfounded things on occasion. I mean hell, I said Vandy was the worst P5 in the last decade lol

But I’d still argue they wouldn’t make the FCS playoffs…

ScrappytheOwl
November 24th, 2021, 08:42 AM
I personally have very little interest in going SOCON especially if there is a financial commitment involved. The ASUN should add SELA and move along. This would keep things flexible going forward if KSU decides to move up to FBS. KSU'S strength of schedule should be much improved in the ASUN and I could see the WAC and the ASUN continuing their scheduling partnership if needed. The key is that the ASUN gets to the 6 team minimum to get an AQ.

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Just happy you’re man enough to admit you had no idea that we have yet to be steamrolled. We all say dumb unfounded things on occasion. I mean hell, I said Vandy was the worst P5 in the last decade lol

But I’d still argue they wouldn’t make the FCS playoffs…
Monmouth steamrolled you guys in 2019 or whenever it was. But regardless maybe we didn’t steamroll you, but I can’t recall ever thinking we’d lose that game. I was on a flight to Las Vegas at the time and never once felt doubtful about us winning.

I think KSU has a very good program, and you have a great coach as well. I just dislike fans coming in here and demanding respect without earning it, something certain KSU fans have been doing.

TheRevSFA
November 24th, 2021, 08:50 AM

I was going to set it at 12.5

Mfergy4
November 24th, 2021, 09:38 AM
29 Playoff Teams have tried. 1 has emerged with a victory.

It’s like playing in the pitch dark & the bizuns are equipped with night goggles.

Great analogy...have to remember that one.

Mfergy4
November 24th, 2021, 09:47 AM
Part 2

I agree with FUbeAR, Part 1 was definitely more informative than Part 2. Had Hooty completed his homework on the veer option, he would have notice the NDSU Bison used the veer option to Dominate 1980's with it and collect a bunch of Natties with it. GSU used to use the veer option and we shut it down both times we played them in the play-offs. It is nothing more than going to our Football library and dusting off Don Morton's book on the veer.

HootyHoo
November 24th, 2021, 10:00 AM
I agree with FUbeAR, Part 1 was definitely more informative than Part 2. Had Hooty completed his homework on the veer option, he would have notice the NDSU Bison used the veer option to Dominate 1980's with it and collect a bunch of Natties with it. GSU used to use the veer option and we shut it down both times we played them in the play-offs. It is nothing more than going to our Football library and dusting off Don Morton's book on the veer.

Well then...it sounds like Hooty needs to do a redraft of the History of Option Football. Part Deux.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2021, 10:15 AM
The only thing you said was “wrong”. Which part? There are plenty of negatives to playing in the Big South/or other weak conferences. It has also helped us, which I believe we all agree on?

you mean which chapter

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2021, 10:40 AM
you mean which chapter
Sure. Which chapter was he wrong about?

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 11:12 AM
I just dislike fans coming in here and demanding respect without earning it, something certain KSU fans have been doing.

Just curious, JacksFan40. 4 questions. In your FCS World Order…

1) Is it the Fans themselves that have to earn respect or is it the results/performance of the Team that earns respect and that confers this earned respect to the Fans?

2) Who determines and confers this respect upon Fans and/or Teams - you, individually, or is there a Committee?

3) What are the specific criteria that Fans and/or Teams must meet to earn respect as determined by you or the Committee?

4) Do Furman Fans and/or Furman’s Team meet the qualifications for this earned respect conferred by you or a Committee?

HootyHoo
November 24th, 2021, 11:24 AM
The History of Option Football Part Deux or How i learned to stop worrying and love the Dive
By Dr. Hooty Archimedes Hoo

Now where were we...ah yes! The Time Machine....

It's 1941 and Missouri AD Don Faurot has bit off more than he can chew. The man has scheduled Ohio State for a decade long series in the 40's
(he lost every game) and he needs some help. So he turns to his experience as a basketball player to try an simulate a two on one fast break. The result is the foundation of the Option play. Faurot found that by leaving a defender unblocked, he could isolate him into a 2 v 1 disadvantage. Thus the Option is born...

1943: Faurot is living large. His option is taking the nation by storm. The Tigers have won 13/15 games and nothing can stop the fearless Faurot exept one thing....

He told his friends about it.

Author's note: Dear Reader, If you discover a groundbreaking innovation that will lead to great personal success and recognition. DON'T TELL ANYBODY!

Faurot gets picked to coach a war-time all star team and wanting to show off his new play, teaches it to his two assistant coaches. Their names? Bud Wilkinson and Jim Tatum. The problem is these guys had full time jobs as head coaches of Oklahoma and Maryland. Faurot would proceed to go 0-17 vs Wilkinson and Tatum with highlights including a 74-13 loss to Tatum's Maryland in 1954 and a 67-14 loss to Wilkinson's Oklahoma in '56. Faurot retired at the end of that season. Oops.

Now we are smack-dab in the middle of the triple option golden age. Innovations are everywhere. The Delaware Blue Hens invent the Wing T by combining the Single Wing and the T formation, establishing that program as a National Power. Down in Houston, the Split-Back Veer is created. Dive, Pitch, and Keep are as American as Apple Pie, an option utopia where Hooty's forefathers frollicked freely through the fields. But soon a team from Austin would introduce a new system....

It's 1968 and the Longhorn's are sick and tired of watching Bud Wilkinson and Oklahoma dominate college football. So they get to work altering the T formation by moving the fullback closer to the QB so he can "hit" quicker on the dive. This change wasn't a big deal at all and didn't alter the way the game was played for the next 30 years. Oh what happened to Texas you ask? They went 31-1-1 with four top 5 finishes over the next five years.. All from moving a Fullback two yards.

Over the next 20 years most things stay the same. The Bone is the dominant system across college football until an evil genius arrives on the scene in the 80's with a new defensive formation called the 4-3 and a suitcase full of Pomade.

Jimmie Johnson.

This man takes it upon himself to make the Wishbone obselete. By fielding a defense with big fast ends and smaller LBs who can play sideline to sidelne and thrive making tackles in space. JJ nuetraliizes the advantages of the option culminating in the 1987 National Championship win over #1 Oklahoma. Thus the Golden era of Option Football ends and the Dark ages of one-back offenses and the Forward pass begin.

Dick move Jim...

JacksFan40
November 24th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Just curious, JacksFan40. 4 questions. In your FCS World Order…

1) Is it the Fans themselves that have to earn respect or is it the results/performance of the Team that earns respect and that confers this earned respect to the Fans?

2) Who determines and confers this respect upon Fans and/or Teams - you, individually, or is there a Committee?

3) What are the specific criteria that Fans and/or Teams must meet to earn respect as determined by you or the Committee?

3) Do Furman Fans and/or Furman’s Team meet the qualifications for this earned respect conferred by you or a Committee?
1) Your team has to actually win meaningful games at some point to get respect. KSU has yet to do this and yet some of their fans act like they’re in the top tier of the FCS with NDSU, SHSU, and JMU.

2) See point one.

3) See point one. KSU could’ve earned respect by being competitive with Georgia Tech, or beating Kent State and Georgia State in years past.

4) Furman hasn’t beaten anyone of note. They could’ve gotten in had they beaten a bad WCU team, but they couldn’t do that. Their best win was against a mediocre VMI team. Compare this to fellow 6-5 UNI who made the playoffs. They have a good win over SIU, and really good wins over SDSU and Sac State. They also played Iowa State competitively, a team who has been in and out of the FBS T25. UNI also played well with Missouri State, hence why UNI made the playoffs at 6-5. It’s not hard, win meaningful games.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 01:34 PM
1) Your team has to actually win meaningful games at some point to get respect. KSU has yet to do this and yet some of their fans act like they’re in the top tier of the FCS with NDSU, SHSU, and JMU.

2) See point one.

3) See point one. KSU could’ve earned respect by being competitive with Georgia Tech, or beating Kent State and Georgia State in years past.

4) Furman hasn’t beaten anyone of note. They could’ve gotten in had they beaten a bad WCU team, but they couldn’t do that. Their best win was against a mediocre VMI team. Compare this to fellow 6-5 UNI who made the playoffs. They have a good win over SIU, and really good wins over SDSU and Sac State. They also played Iowa State competitively, a team who has been in and out of the FBS T25. UNI also played well with Missouri State, hence why UNI made the playoffs at 6-5. It’s not hard, win meaningful games.
LOL - easy to understand why we’re pulling down statues of Thomas Jefferson these days. That guy hasn’t won a game in forever and he’s been really bad the past couple of seasons. Need to commission some carvings of people that have earned our respect, like the Kardashians, to replace Jefferson and those other 3 losers - Lincoln, Washington, and Franklin.

Chalupa Batman
November 24th, 2021, 01:52 PM

We shut GSU down the first time, but in the rematch not so much. McKinnon was next to impossible to stop in the 2nd game.

Mfergy4
November 24th, 2021, 02:18 PM
We shut GSU down the first time, but in the rematch not so much. McKinnon was next to impossible to stop in the 2nd game.

We still were able to stop them and win the game....but thank you for the renewed nightmare of McKinnon.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Sure. Which chapter was he wrong about?

tell me what he was right about

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 04:21 PM
https://twitter.com/davidsonfb/status/1463175303216439309

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 04:25 PM
https://twitter.com/davidsonfb/status/1462561125069901824

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 04:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRt29EGjsE

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PUP6Jr2bn8

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2021, 05:34 PM
https://newsofdavidson.org/2019/12/24/21600/the-holiday-bowl/

It was the 1960s, and the idea of Davidson playing in a bowl game initially sounded strange to Dave Fagg.
https://newsofdavidson.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/IMG_1351-e1577216573149-350x263.jpg
But once the then-assistant football coach understood that it was possible on paper, that there was a path, that the Southern Conference champion got an automatic bid to the Tangerine Bowl, he embraced the idea. Fully embraced it.
“If you want to go to a bowl, come to Davidson. I told everybody that,” Fagg recalled recently, while sitting in Davidson’s Nisbet Hall of Fame. “I meant it.”

Side Note: Coach Fagg recruited FUBeAR when he was at Georgia Tech. FUBeAR stayed in touch with Coach Fagg, who became the OC at South Carolina in 1982, and FUBeAR was a-gonna be a Grad Asst @ USC…but we (Furman) beat the Gamecocks that year…and they fired the whole staff after 1 season. Dangit…but it was worth it.

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2021, 07:02 PM
tell me what he was right about
All of the chapters. Your turn.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2021, 08:38 PM
All of the chapters. Your turn.

#3 Iaan Cousins is fast

HootyHoo
November 24th, 2021, 09:08 PM
#3 Iaan Cousins is fast

That is the truth. Mike Mike burnt Monmouth last saturday. 3 carries 114 1 TD. Extra crispy.

ksu_owls
November 25th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Happy thanksgiving everybody!

Final prediction for the game: Davidson 13 - KSU 31. Hope you take the under and Davidson to cover. Go Owls!

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Wrong

I agree it put them on the map, and it's helped them get good reps in for perfecting their craft (the option) but my general point with the big post I just made is that it's hurt them in other ways (boring product on the field doesn't get their 40k students and who knows how many alumni excited to catch a home game), and so they're not meeting their potential as a program. They're the Boise State of FCS, but if Boise State students/alums didn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

baseball? Never heard of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to say Davidson doesn't score 10 points in this one. 38-6 Owls

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2021, 10:49 AM
I agree it put them on the map, and it's helped them get good reps in for perfecting their craft (the option) but my general point with the big post I just made is that it's hurt them in other ways (boring product on the field doesn't get their 40k students and who knows how many alumni excited to catch a home game), and so they're not meeting their potential as a program. They're the Boise State of FCS, but if Boise State students/alums didn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

baseball? Never heard of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to say Davidson doesn't score 10 points in this one. 38-6 Owls

I hear you but FCS college football is hurting all over the land.

Sam Houston plays a very exciting brand of football with talented players in a hotbed state for football and can barely draw 5000 fans.

Daytripper
November 25th, 2021, 10:54 AM

Sam Houston plays a very exciting brand of football with talented players in a hotbed state for football and can barely draw 5000 fans.

Truth. A lot of our problem is that we are surrounded by UT, TAMU, UH, BU, TCU, and SMU. All within a 3-4 hr. drive from Huntsville.

ElCid
November 25th, 2021, 10:55 AM

That really is pitiful.

ElCid
November 25th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Truth. A lot of our problem is that we are surrounded by UT, TAMU, UH, BU, TCU, and SMU. All within a 3-4 hr. drive from Huntsville.

To a degree. But I do get that issue. How about USC, Clemson, GA, as well as NC, NC ST, WF, Duke, ECU, CCU, Charlotte, GASo..... All within about 4 hours of us or Wofford, or Furman. All colleges in general need to do better developing dedicated fans. But SHSU better improve if they hope succeed in FBS. The virus is still impacting to a degree though. Especially keeping some older folks away, who have the time and money to go in person.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2021, 02:22 PM
I think the days of FCS football teams inaugurating a program and averaging 15k+ are long over. Football is no longer an event you spent your saturday attending, but a product you consume online or on TV. There's nothing wrong with that. My general point re: KSU is that it's much harder to make it an event that's fun when you're blowing everyone out. It's almost as not-fun as if you lose all the time, albeit probably a little better.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2021, 05:30 PM
I think the days of FCS football teams inaugurating a program and averaging 15k+ are long over. Football is no longer an event you spent your saturday attending, but a product you consume online or on TV. There's nothing wrong with that. My general point re: KSU is that it's much harder to make it an event that's fun when you're blowing everyone out. It's almost as not-fun as if you lose all the time, albeit probably a little better.

This right here. I have been saying for a while that attendance, while important and valuable, is no longer the measuring stick for validation. Have a good digital product and social media presence. Make sure your brand is getting exposure. Get a large following and get people buying your gear. Get them watching your game on their phone while visiting family or at another game. And, of course, win games.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Does ESPN + put out the ratings on how many are streaming specific games?

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 07:13 AM
This right here. I have been saying for a while that attendance, while important and valuable, is no longer the measuring stick for validation. Have a good digital product and social media presence. Make sure your brand is getting exposure. Get a large following and get people buying your gear. Get them watching your game on their phone while visiting family or at another game. And, of course, win games.
Validation? Maybe…whatever that means…whatever it means is pretty dang squishy.

Valuation…As in dollarinis, ducats, simolyans? Not so sure. Pick a number…FUBeAR will use $30/head/game (ticket, parking, concessions, programs, other) x 6 home games…

5,000 avg attendance = $900k
10,000 = $1.8M
15,000 = $2.7M

Just a guess, but FUBeAR doesn’t see many FCS Programs grossing $2M off digital content marketing, clicks, or licensing of merch.

Agree that FCS programs need to do these things well and do them BIG, but don’t think the economics yet favor cyber-fandom over hindquarters on aluminum or hard plastic…or concrete in some older venues.

Would certainly be interested in seeing some ‘validated’ data showing otherwise.

Also…FWIW

Twitter Followers - Football Accounts (for Teams shown below by school name/abbreviation)

SHSU = 27.1k
Some guy named Sam Houston = ~10k
KSU = 31.3k
Kennesaw Mountain National Park = ~10k
Davidson = 24.8k
Pete Davidson is The King of Staten Island = 23.5k
Mercer = 31.3k
Jordy Mercer (Wash. Nats Player) = 62.1k
Furman = 25.9k
Dean Furman (Soccer Player that FUBeAR has never heard of) = 113k
NDSU = 86.3k
Travel North Dakota = 39.7k
Montana = 43.5k
Hannah Montana = 248.7k
JMU = 45.5k
Hostess Snacks (makers of Dolly Madison brand products) 110.8k

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Kennesaw looking sharp.....

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Kennesaw looking like their playing Davidson

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Davidson looks like absolute trash. There is zero reason for them to be in the playoffs.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Kennesaw is gonna put 60 on the Wildcats

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Kennesaw looking really impressive, wondering when Davidson will depart the bus and get on the field?

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Nice TD run.

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 01:39 PM
Looking like I might be wrong on the under lol

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Kennesaw looking really impressive, wondering when Davidson will depart the bus and get on the field?
Probably waiting for some fans to show up for the game.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Finally, a Davidson drive for a TD.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Probably waiting for some fans to show up for the game.

xlolxxlolx

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 01:44 PM
Davidson sucks. Their conference which usually sucks, sucked really hard this year.

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Davidson sucks. Their conference which usually sucks, sucked really hard this year.

We are all aware

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 01:50 PM
I hope we have an OL next week

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Kennesaw in a rout thus far.

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Wow, Davidson getting some long runs.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:55 PM
That counter is working for Davidson...two scores off it.

ETSUfan1
November 27th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Quay Holmes will eat these clowns alive.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Davidson D looks over matched...

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 02:22 PM
14-41 Owls at the half

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:25 PM
It's a shame teams have to risk injury in a sport like football for "equity" purposes. Some of these teams have no business being the playoffs. San Diego had some legit Top 25 teams. Davidson clearly was not one....

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 02:29 PM
It's a shame teams have to risk injury in a sport like football for "equity" purposes. Some of these teams have no business being the playoffs. San Diego had some legit Top 25 teams. Davidson clearly was not one....

I hope 2nd/3rd string takes it from here… I don’t care if the final is 38-41. The committee needs to do better than this crap.

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 02:30 PM
I think PC can start the ETSU/KSU thread

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 02:35 PM
https://i1.wp.com/malechastityjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/disciplinaryfootball-307x350.png?resize=307%2C350&ssl=1

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Bump.

UNHWildcat18
November 27th, 2021, 02:44 PM

lol don't be like me and suggest they shouldn't get an auto bid. The one San Diego fan will come after ya. This game is a joke though.

ETSUfan1
November 27th, 2021, 02:49 PM

Kennesaw has been the team with the injuries. They won their league, they should get a shot. That’s the type of mindset of the power five teams who want to eliminate Mid majors from the NCAA basketball tournament.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Yeah…IF is a big word, but IF Davidson’s QB keeps that double-move ball wide at the end of the 1st half, we’d have a 34-28 game right now.

just sayin’

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 02:55 PM
This game is a laughter...a spanking...a rout...a scrimmage....(insert your statement)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Kennesaw has been the team with the injuries. They won their league, they should get a shot. That’s the type of mindset of the power five teams who want to eliminate Mid majors from the NCAA basketball tournament.

Some of these teams are below "mid-major" level though. MOST years the non-power leagues, OVC, SoCon (as presently constructed), Big South, Southland and yes even the PL usually have at least one team worthy of their name being called. Even the NEC teams have been tough outs. But when the PL sends a 5 loss team, or worse one with a losing record, or a clear inferior NEC or PFL team (maybe OVC) wins the auto-bid there should be a threshold that can keep them out.

Didn't the MEAC lose something like 15 straight playoff games before saying no mas?

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Davidson isn't a midmajor. They're just dog****.

Scholarships should be a requirement for the autobid.

UNHWildcat18
November 27th, 2021, 03:17 PM

I see your point but I disagree, Pioneer League isn't mid major conference that offers less scholarships like the NEC. They offer NO scholarships, for FCS football.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 03:51 PM
FUBeAR sees a Davidson Team that is far better overall than those San Diego Teams. It’s just that they are playing a Big South / Southeastern US Team that is much better than those Big Sky Teams that San Diego blew
away in the Playoffs.

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2021, 03:55 PM
I’m glad this thread is over. That second half was painful to watch. Go Owls! See you soon, ETSU!

BurialGround
November 27th, 2021, 04:09 PM
I’m glad this thread is over. That second half was painful to watch. Go Owls! See you soon, ETSU!

We did what we needed to do. Nothing more, nothing less. We're gonna have to play our best game of the year against ETSU to advance. Hopefully we can get it done.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Davidson isn't a midmajor. They're just dog****.

Scholarships should be a requirement for the autobid.
This.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2021, 08:43 PM
FUBeAR sees a Davidson Team that is far better overall than those San Diego Teams. It’s just that they are playing a Big South / Southeastern US Team that is much better than those Big Sky Teams that San Diego blew
away in the Playoffs.
Really?

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Really?
Yep - Those San Diego Teams were thin & soft. Davidson, overall, is a better team than those Torero Teams. Nothing has changed @ San Diego in the intervening years, while Davidson has brought in a Head Coach that is a winner & he has brought wins, championships, and enhancement of the resources that Davidson is now willing to commit to Football. Those Big Sky Teams that San Diego ran out of the Playoffs were even fluffier frauds, much like the UC Davis Big Sky fraud that got blown tf out today by a Team with only 5 wins over full fledged FCS Teams.

Kennesaw is a rugged Team that has proven themselves for multiple seasons & in the Playoffs. They will be a formidable opponent for ETSU, the well-deserving #7 seed (should have been seeded higher), out of the SoCon next week.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2021, 10:49 PM
Yep - Those San Diego Teams were thin & soft. Davidson, overall, is a better team than those Torero Teams. Nothing has changed @ San Diego in the intervening years, while Davidson has brought in a Head Coach that is a winner & he has brought wins, championships, and enhancement of the resources that Davidson is now willing to commit to Football. Those Big Sky Teams that San Diego ran out of the Playoffs were even fluffier frauds, much like the UC Davis Big Sky fraud that got blown tf out today by a Team with only 5 wins over full fledged FCS Teams.

Kennesaw is a rugged Team that has proven themselves for multiple seasons & in the Playoffs. They will be a formidable opponent for ETSU, the well-deserving #7 seed (should have been seeded higher), out of the SoCon next week.
Davidson is a wasted bid. Get scholarships or GTFO.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 11:13 PM
Davidson is a wasted bid. Get scholarships or GTFO.OK…no argument from FUBeAR on that point.

Not the point of the discussion though. We were comparing San Diego’s non-scholarship Teams that regularly bounced fluffy Big Sky Teams from the Playoffs vs. Davidson’s non-scholarship Teams that don’t bounce hard-nosed non-Big Sky Teams.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 28th, 2021, 12:21 PM
I see your point but I disagree, Pioneer League isn't mid major conference that offers less scholarships like the NEC. They offer NO scholarships, for FCS football.

The NEC should go to 63 or drop scholarships. This halfway stuff is part of the problem.