PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 1: Sacred Heart @ Holy Cross

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2021, 02:08 PM
Game kicks off at 12PM ET on 11/27. Winner goes to #5 Villanova.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51694878087_64d43c4d8d_z.jpg

Who ya got?

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2021, 02:22 PM
I can play a Sacred Heart fan if Sader needs someone to talk to

crusader11
November 21st, 2021, 02:37 PM
I can play a Sacred Heart fan if Sader needs someone to talk to

I was worried this thread would just be five HC fans talking to each other for the next week. So thanks.

Gangtackle11
November 21st, 2021, 02:38 PM
I will be watching from afar……gl to both teams.xpeacex

crusader11
November 21st, 2021, 02:41 PM

Looking to get another shot after a tough loss in 2009.

Still think we got screwed on that non-fumble call…

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2021, 02:52 PM

Villanova is like 39-3 all times against PL schools since the league was formed. 'Nova has to be feeling pretty good....

Gangtackle11
November 21st, 2021, 03:03 PM
Villanova is like 39-3 all times against PL schools since the league was formed. 'Nova has to be feeling pretty good....

Doesn’t quite make up for sending us to SE Louisiana, but its a good draw. Holy Cross is dangerous if they advance, but our 1000+ fans will make it tough on our opponent. xpeacex

Libertine
November 21st, 2021, 03:47 PM
Sacred Heart, because I have zero faith in the Patriot League.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2021, 03:58 PM

Julius Chestnut, the All American RB for Sacred Heart was out for almost the entire year due to some mysterious injury, so what does Sacred Heart do...

they plug a 5 foot 7 inch scat back in his place and he ends up not only the number one rusher in the NE Conference but number 4 in the nation

Malik Grant has 1288 yards and is pretty quick

Chestnut is back now and both he and Grant went for 100 yards yesterday, and both in the backfield at same time, but against the low swimming Sharks

Holy Cross pretty good against the run

I think Holy Cross will win this game with passing as Sacred Heart Defense doesn't really look that good to me

Digby
November 21st, 2021, 04:09 PM
Holy Cross has more talent and depth. Sure it will be a game but really this is a gift draw for the Patriot League.
I expect the Crusaders to accept the gift, 33-14.

Digby
November 21st, 2021, 04:11 PM

Patriot League fans don’t have confidence in the league either, but HC is the better team.

Katfan
November 21st, 2021, 04:13 PM
Doesn’t quite make up for sending us to SE Louisiana, but its a good draw. Holy Cross is dangerous if they advance, but our 1000+ fans will make it tough on our opponent. xpeacex
You should tell them it’s a basketball game

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2021, 04:28 PM
By default, does the PL winner now play the NEC winner in the playoffs every year? PS Sacred Heart is Lafayette's first 2022 opponent.

NY Crusader 2010
November 21st, 2021, 04:48 PM
By default, does the PL winner now play the NEC winner in the playoffs every year? PS Sacred Heart is Lafayette's first 2022 opponent.

Nope.

But the scenario becomes more likely when

a) You have a dearth of CAA teams in the field, especially when you don't have any of the CAA New England teams in.
b) Monmouth misses the playoffs
c) Villanova is seeded

When UNH makes the playoffs and isn't seeded, it seems like they now by default host a PL team in the Round of 24.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2021, 05:45 PM

No. This is the first NEC-PL matchup in the first round since 2014.

The NEC has faced a CAA team in the first round for the last 6 years, including Sacred Heart's 19-10 loss at Delaware this past spring. For three consecutive years, the NEC AQ did face the Patriot league:

2012 - Colgate 20, at Wagner 31
2013 - SHU 27, at Fordham 37
2014 - SHU 22, at Fordham 44

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2021, 05:51 PM
Nope.

But the scenario becomes more likely when

a) You have a dearth of CAA teams in the field, especially when you don't have any of the CAA New England teams in.
b) Monmouth misses the playoffs
c) Villanova is seeded

When UNH makes the playoffs and isn't seeded, it seems like they now by default host a PL team in the Round of 24.

Agreed. The lack of a unseeded CAA team opens likelihood of a PL-NEC matchup. I like this "Catholic" bracket of SHU-Holy Cross/Villanova.

2010 - North Dakota State (MVFC) 43, Robert Morris 17
2011 - Stony Brook (Big South) 31, Albany 28
2012 - Wagner 31, Colgate (Patriot) 20
2013 - Fordham (Patriot) 37, Sacred Heart 27
2014 - Fordham (Patriot) 44, Sacred Heart 22
2015 - William & Mary (CAA) 52, Duquesne 49
2016 - Villanova (CAA) 31, Saint Francis U 21
2017 - New Hampshire (CAA) 14, CCSU 0
2018 - Duquesne 31, Towson (CAA) 10
2019 - Albany (CAA) 42, CCSU 14
2020-21 - Delaware (CAA) 19, Sacred Heart 10

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2021, 07:40 AM
You've gotta stop the run to beat Holy Cross, and SHU's stats suggest they won't be able to do that.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 08:08 AM
You've gotta stop the run to beat Holy Cross, and SHU's stats suggest they won't be able to do that.

they have 2 of the best RBs in the country though but yes, Sacred Heart won’t be able to keep up

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2021, 09:59 AM
Holy Cross if you win, you get JMU's spot in CAAFB xthumbsupx If not..........At least TreeHouse Brewery is down the road, Should be getting a case from my dad this weekend xdrunkyx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2021, 10:19 AM
I saw Temple plays Big 5 foes Penn at 4 PM on 12/4. If Holy Cross wins, and the double-header is possible (need a 12 or 12:30 kickoff), I will likely make the trip down 476. I made the trek to Hamilton in 2018 to root on the Raiders against the Dukes. I don't have to "muster up" much energy to go anti-Main Liners.....

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 10:32 AM
I saw Temple plays Big 5 foes Penn at 4 PM on 12/4. If Holy Cross wins, and the double-header is possible (need a 12 or 12:30 kickoff), I will likely make the trip down 476. I made the trek to Hamilton in 2018 to root on the Raiders against the Dukes. I don't have to "muster up" much energy to go anti-Main Liners.....

Villanova plays HC / SHU on Dec. 3 at 7:00. Bundle up.

VUCats02
November 22nd, 2021, 10:38 AM
Yes, Friday night game so the double header will be a little difficult! Last Friday game I can remember at Villanova Stadium was the whacky W&M / Nova semifinal game in 2009. I was one of the 4,000 people at that crazy game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2021, 10:45 AM
Villanova plays HC / SHU on Dec. 3 at 7:00. Bundle up.

Ohh boo! That sucks! I'll enjoy it on ESPN+...lol

Nothing like trying to get to Villanova for a Friday night football game. You think with a game that is guaranteed to have two "I95 teams" the committee (or whoever) would have went with a traditional Saturday game to allow for some semblance of attendance....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Friday night game so the double header will be a little difficult! Last Friday game I can remember at Villanova Stadium was the whacky W&M / Nova semifinal game in 2009. I was one of the 4,000 people at that crazy game.

Was that a snow game? I'm pretty sure I remember watching that one...

Sitting Bull
November 22nd, 2021, 11:00 AM

That was frigid and an epic game. About 2,000 or more of those there were Tribe fans along with our band, the only band at the game. Should have been in Williamsburg!

VUCats02
November 22nd, 2021, 11:53 AM
Ohh boo! That sucks! I'll enjoy it on ESPN+...lol

Nothing like trying to get to Villanova for a Friday night football game. You think with a game that is guaranteed to have two "I95 teams" the committee (or whoever) would have went with a traditional Saturday game to allow for some semblance of attendance....

- - - Updated - - -

Was that a snow game? I'm pretty sure I remember watching that one...

Snow game was the Quarter-final game before, the 48-7 thrashing of New Hampshire who beat Nova earlier in the year.

VUCats02
November 22nd, 2021, 11:55 AM
That was frigid and an epic game. About 2,000 or more of those there were Tribe fans along with our band, the only band at the game. Should have been in Williamsburg!

Really did not help at all that the Saturday after the game was the first day of finals. There would've at least been like 1,000 students who would've shown up if it wasn't finals hahaha.

Crazy that the Holy Cross opening round game had more than double the attendance that the W&M semifinal game had.

I just remember there was a big moment in the game that relied on replay, and ESPN 2 was doing the game, and everyone in attendance's minds were blown that they were able to have replay for an FCS game.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 11:58 AM

I remember that game

Mary had a bone crusher on DL if memory serves

CAA heyday

Sitting Bull
November 22nd, 2021, 12:09 PM
I remember that game

Mary had a bone crusher on DL if memory serves

CAA heyday

Adrian Tracy.

We had a 10-0 halftime lead which seemed a lot in this game. Our touchdown was a 98y TD pass, still in the W&M record books. The big play mentioned on replay was I think a 4th down pass play for what ended up being a 1st down and led to the final TD giving VU a 14-13 win. Another big play in q3 with Tribe up 10-0, Scuzsr (not sure the spelling) just made enough barely on a fake punt for a 1st down to keep a drive going for first VU touchdown. We started this particular season with the 26-14 win at Virginia. Really was a great season.

Sitting Bull
November 22nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
Really did not help at all that the Saturday after the game was the first day of finals. There would've at least been like 1,000 students who would've shown up if it wasn't finals hahaha.

Crazy that the Holy Cross opening round game had more than double the attendance that the W&M semifinal game had.

I just remember there was a big moment in the game that relied on replay, and ESPN 2 was doing the game, and everyone in attendance's minds were blown that they were able to have replay for an FCS game.

I was at the Holy Cross game as well. It was a beautiful, sunny day. HC had Dom Randolph who kept them in the game. I don’t think Villanova ever trailed but they never seemed to get more than 10 points ahead. I think the next Saturday, Villanova clobbered UNH in a snowstorm in the quarterfinals. W&M started with a home crushing of Weber State and then beat #2 seed Southern Illinois out in Carbondale.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2021, 02:21 PM
Holy Cross opens as 17.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 39.5.

VUCats02
November 22nd, 2021, 03:29 PM
Holy Cross opens as 17.5 point favorites on 5dimes (https://madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php). O/U of 39.5.

Wow, so predicted final score 28-10 according to the odds. If you're betting on Sacred Heart you're betting on them to simply score two touchdowns.

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2021, 03:34 PM
I'd take SHU and the points.

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2021, 04:16 PM
Who ya got?

Based on the schools involved, obviously God in this case. xlolx

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2021, 04:35 PM

What's funny is that I was seriously considering doing the Holy War (i.e. St. Joe's/Villanova for those not familiar) & Penn/Temple basketball doubleheader on Saturday 12/4; SJU/VU starts at 12 PM while Penn/TU is a 4 PM tip. The Holy War is the only Philadelphia Big Five matchup (and one of only two City Six matchups, the other being Drexel/Villanova) I've never seen in person, and I've only ever seen the Penn/Temple matchup once. Taking the Norristown High Speed Line, Market-Frankford Line, and Broad Street Line from Villanova to Temple would be easy. But secondary market ticket prices are obscene for the Holy War. Why St. Joe's can't move the game to the Palestra (I hate Hagan Arena because there is no leg room) when they host and why Villanova can't move the game to the Wells Fargo Center when they host is beyond me.

I'm still annoyed the Villanova game against the Sacred Heart/Holy Cross winner is on Friday 12/3 rather than Saturday 12/4; it would have provided a great opportunity for a Villanova basketball/football doubleheader and gotten some people who wouldn't attend VU football otherwise to hang around after the basketball game. A 4 PM kickoff would have been great. (I probably still would have attended Penn/Temple basketball in the scenario I outlined above had that scheduling come to pass.) I understand why the NCAA did it - it will be a long trip to Sacramento State for the winner of the Friday 12/3 game should the #4 seed Hornets also win their first game. But a two sport doubleheader on Saturday 12/4 would have been a good thing for Villanova.

As for Sacred Heart/Holy Cross, I have to pull for the Patriot League here. (Maybe the Temple sports brass can also make their way out to the Main Line to scope out Bob Chesney should the Crusaders beat Sacred Heart and play VU.)

ysubigred
November 22nd, 2021, 05:49 PM
Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.. two ambulance companies right?

Don't know much about either team but my sister in law works at Sacred Heart childrens NICU.. SH for the W..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 05:55 PM
Holy Cross hasn’t seen the likes of Julius Chestnut

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 07:01 PM
Holy Cross hasn’t seen the likes of Julius Chestnut

Sacred Heart hasn’t seen Jake Dobbs.

I’d be surprised if this is a game heading into the 4th quarter.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 07:21 PM
Sacred Heart hasn’t seen Jake Dobbs.

I’d be surprised if this is a game heading into the 4th quarter.

what is his number?

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 07:24 PM
what is his number?

Number 27 in your program, number two in your heart only behind Matt Sluka.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2021, 07:49 PM
Number 27 in your program, number two in your heart only behind Matt Sluka.

27 got it

Naples, Florida.... very nice, have you seen Larry Bird walking around yet

crusader11
November 22nd, 2021, 09:01 PM
Ha, I think Larry sold his place in Port Royal (I assume that’s where his house was).

NY Crusader 2010
November 22nd, 2021, 09:04 PM

We may be opening as a 17.5 point favorite but I see the final spread coming down a bit. My original projection of Holy Cross -8.5 appears to be way off, however.

While they haven't won a playoff game since moving up to Division I, SHU seems to play well in the postseason.

Holy Cross had what was possibly the worst performance against the spread for any Division I team this year in our one game against the NEC. We were -27.5 favorites against Merrimack and lost by 14.

My game prediction: Holy Cross 31, SHU 21 => Crusaders score late to ice it.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2021, 09:39 PM
Goin' with the Crusaders by two TDs. SHU can run the ball, but I see Holy Cross as a much more balanced team, both in their attack as well as a good defense. I also think HC can give Villanova all it can handle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2021, 05:23 PM
What's funny is that I was seriously considering doing the Holy War (i.e. St. Joe's/Villanova for those not familiar) & Penn/Temple basketball doubleheader on Saturday 12/4; SJU/VU starts at 12 PM while Penn/TU is a 4 PM tip. The Holy War is the only Philadelphia Big Five matchup (and one of only two City Six matchups, the other being Drexel/Villanova) I've never seen in person, and I've only ever seen the Penn/Temple matchup once. Taking the Norristown High Speed Line, Market-Frankford Line, and Broad Street Line from Villanova to Temple would be easy. But secondary market ticket prices are obscene for the Holy War. Why St. Joe's can't move the game to the Palestra (I hate Hagan Arena because there is no leg room) when they host and why Villanova can't move the game to the Wells Fargo Center when they host is beyond me.

I'm still annoyed the Villanova game against the Sacred Heart/Holy Cross winner is on Friday 12/3 rather than Saturday 12/4; it would have provided a great opportunity for a Villanova basketball/football doubleheader and gotten some people who wouldn't attend VU football otherwise to hang around after the basketball game. A 4 PM kickoff would have been great. (I probably still would have attended Penn/Temple basketball in the scenario I outlined above had that scheduling come to pass.) I understand why the NCAA did it - it will be a long trip to Sacramento State for the winner of the Friday 12/3 game should the #4 seed Hornets also win their first game. But a two sport doubleheader on Saturday 12/4 would have been a good thing for Villanova.

As for Sacred Heart/Holy Cross, I have to pull for the Patriot League here. (Maybe the Temple sports brass can also make their way out to the Main Line to scope out Bob Chesney should the Crusaders beat Sacred Heart and play VU.)

If the weather is decent next Friday i might consider a round of golf somewhere just north of Plymouth Meeting and then head to the game. I've had a dearth of live sports this year and the golf season here in the Northern Hinterlands of PA (not far from Binghamton, NY) will basically end on Sunday with the impending snowstorm.

I was really banking on the Sacred Heart/Holy Cross vs Villanova game being a Saturday but it obviously was not to be. That would have made for a great double-header/holiday season Saturday in Philly. I've only been to the Pavilion once for a game and that was years ago when I was a student at Temple (saw them against Drexel with my Dragon friend). Never made it to St. Joe's place. DePaul plays 'Nova on Tuesday 1/25 at 5 PM which i find odd? After returning from a couple of weeks in Chicago I won't be attending that one.

Both the Crusaders and Pioneers are off to 2-4 starts in men's hoops. One of Sacred Heart's wins was over Big 5 La Salle.

Really looking forward to the football game. I think the Pioneers will hang around until Holy Cross ends it with a couple of 4th quarter scores. I see a 13-17 point type margin....

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2021, 05:01 AM
This game has been dubbed the both smoked by the Ivies bowl

CHIP72
November 26th, 2021, 06:13 AM
This game has been dubbed the both smoked by the Ivies bowl

I hear God prefers the name "God's game".

MSUBobcat
November 26th, 2021, 11:52 AM
We may be opening as a 17.5 point favorite but I see the final spread coming down a bit. My original projection of Holy Cross -8.5 appears to be way off, however.

While they haven't won a playoff game since moving up to Division I, SHU seems to play well in the postseason.

Holy Cross had what was possibly the worst performance against the spread for any Division I team this year in our one game against the NEC. We were -27.5 favorites against Merrimack and lost by 14.

My game prediction: Holy Cross 31, SHU 21 => Crusaders score late to ice it.

I also was thinking HC by 8-10. But the money appears to be coming in on Holy Cross. 5dimes has them at 18.5 pt favorites now. MTSportsBet (sports betting run by Montana Lottery) now has them at -19.5, so I'm taking SHU to cover on my parlays.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Less than 24 hours until kickoff! Yet, a Crusader hasn't posted in 4 days. What gives?...Where's 87?!

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Less than 24 hours until kickoff! Yet, a Crusader hasn't posted in 4 days. What gives?...Where's 87?!
Probably trying to figure out how this game compares to games that could have potentially played in the Big East…

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Probably trying to figure out how this game compares to games that could have potentially played in the Big East…

Perhaps Sacred Heart should be in the Big East? I had no idea how big the school was until I did some research last night. SHU is the second largest Catholic university in New England with about 5,500 undergrad and 3,100 grad students!

If Holy Cross wins I have to believe there will be a lot of reminiscing about "what could have been". Holy Cross had a pretty famous football game against Villanova in the late 80s that was on ESPN iirc.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Julius Chestnut is the X factor in this game

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Underway in Worcester! Sacred Heart on the move...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:12 AM
TD Pioneers! Impressive opening drive! Crusaders tend to start slow before Chesney and company adjust. Time will tell if that holds true today....

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 11:17 AM
#GoBigRed

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:23 AM
HC WR with a sick catch along the sideline!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:29 AM
HC stuffed on 4th and 2! Crusaders have a great FG kicker but Chesney wanted 7.

Definitely a cold day in New England. Great football weather....

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 11:30 AM
#GoBigRedThanks! Oh you mean...

SHUAlumni55
November 27th, 2021, 11:31 AM
It’s been a long time since I’ve checked in here! But it’s playoff football! Great start by SHU O and D!

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 11:31 AM
Holy Cross should throw this game, not talkin fix

Pass Pass Pass

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:35 AM
SHU 7 HC 0 End 1Q

Prime Power
November 27th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Anyone know where this officiating crew is from, I feel like I have seen this crew in the Missouri Valley....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Sluka with an absolutely absurd play that ends in a first down!!

Chalupa Batman
November 27th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Looked like Brett Favre on that play

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Holy crap. What did you think of that desperation pass by HC? Crazy the guy caught it.

SHUAlumni55
November 27th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Or young Josh Allen as a rookie.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 12:02 PM
HC's long drive results in a FG...

SHU 7-3 3:53 2Q

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Hmm, where is the offense? Neither team is close to their average.

ElCid
November 27th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Hmm, where is the offense? Neither team is close to their average.

Yeah, its going to screw up my picks unless they start scoring, like they were supposed to.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Sacred Heart 7 Holy Cross 3 Half

Both defenses are dominating on a blustery day in Worcester. A turnover or a special teams play is often the difference in a game like this. Interested to see if Chesney changes anything up for the second half. Not going for the FG on the 4th and 2 is huge right now. Ng is automatic.....

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Yeah, its going to screw up my picks unless they start scoring, like they were supposed to.

Yep, throwing my point spread to the dogs right now.

MSUBobcat
November 27th, 2021, 12:33 PM
I got excited yesterday when I saw HC was at -19.5 on the MT sports bet site because I didn't think HC would win by 20. Went to a bar to place some parlays. Could no longer pick the winner, just the O/U. The difference in payout not getting this on the parlay is pretty huge. HC better come back and win by 20+. xpissedx

SHUAlumni55
November 27th, 2021, 12:45 PM
You spoke that into existence..

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Poor choice by QB to throw that pass.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Is the Holy Cross QB Danny Ainge?

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 12:57 PM
The only offense for HC is to keep it on the ground.

SHU has to play smarter for sure.

mmiller_34
November 27th, 2021, 12:58 PM
HC can't do anything.

Prime Power
November 27th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Is the Holy Cross QB Danny Ainge?

No, Danny Ainge was good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:00 PM
HC still might be able to win this game 9-7 if they can control field position. SHU still has to do something otherwise one mistake and they're cooked....

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Both teams are very one dimensional, but I like SHU chances based on what we've see so far.

This is anyone's game and a single big play could be the difference.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Too many mental errors by HC...SH playing good clean ball and should win....score and win will throw lots of boards in the John...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:13 PM
This is shaping up to the game defining drive. SHU could be on a 10 minute clock purge here if HC isn't careful. A TD here could be curtains....

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 01:15 PM
If SHU can ground out a TD here and eat some clock, it will be hard for HC to respond.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Huge defensive stand by the Crusaders! Will force a short FG.....

Sacred Heart 10 Holy Cross 3 12:09 4Q

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 01:22 PM
HC alive by holding SHU to a FG.

Sacred Heart up 10-3

SHUAlumni55
November 27th, 2021, 01:23 PM
10-3 SHU. Tough FG in to the wind. HC ball.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:23 PM
The way HC is playing that FG could be the stake to the heart in HC's season...impressed by SH but they will be hard pressed next week, should they hold on to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:24 PM
SHU opts for a real short kickoff. HC ball around midfield.....

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 01:26 PM
No, Danny Ainge was good.

his lippyness

typical cocky New Englander

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Another False start when in scoring position for HC....killing themselves.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Big sequence here. HC burns some clock before Chesney calls a timeout on 4th and 6. I'd still consider kicking it again know you should get the ball two more times...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:34 PM
HC opts for 3....right call imo..

SHU 10 HC 6 8:26 4Q

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Did that Announcer just say SH or HC will win their first FCS championship?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Wow! HC with a huge defensive holding penalty on 3rd and 10! SHU gets a 1st down!

SHUAlumni55
November 27th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Did that Announcer just say SH or HC will win their first FCS championship?

“Championship Game” meant championship playoff game is what I took from it.

FYI SHU did win a natty in 2001 (mid-major).

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Penalties kill you in the regular season and are devastating in the play-offs.

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:45 PM
“Championship Game” meant championship playoff game is what I took from it.

FYI SHU did win a natty in 2001 (mid-major).

Just ran it back, did say first championship game....guessing he forgot then word play-offs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:46 PM
SHU opts to punt from the HC 34 yard line, goes into the EZ, nets 14 yards. SHU could have come close to ending it with a first down....

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 01:49 PM
False start to cause 2 & 15 was huge. HC needs a TD in this drive, period.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Sluka had #80...and missed him....

- - - Updated - - -

4th down! here we go!

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:50 PM
HC QB sucks....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:52 PM
First down Crusaders!

Prime Power
November 27th, 2021, 01:52 PM
HC QB sucks....

That's an understatement..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:53 PM
HC QB sucks....

He looks awful...

If HC loses there's going to be a lot of talk imo regarding the future of Chesney and Sluka in Worcester.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Potential target? fumble?

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 01:58 PM
looked like he lead with the crown...

UNHWildcat18
November 27th, 2021, 01:59 PM
No targeting?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:00 PM
HC on the move!

UNHWildcat18
November 27th, 2021, 02:01 PM
TD Holy Cross! Crushing to the hearts of....sacred heart

Chalupa Batman
Holy crap what a play!

Go Lehigh TU owl
TD HC! Sluka throws into double coverage but amazingly the HC receiver comes down with! Wow!! Made the plays when they had to....

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 27th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Wow, great throw and catch!!!

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Interesting...a hail mary into double coverage....

UAalum72
November 27th, 2021, 02:03 PM
QB that sucks throws 35-yd TD pass

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Wow that was a great catch

Mfergy4
November 27th, 2021, 02:06 PM
If I am a NOVA DB I would be licking my chops next week..lots of INT chances.

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Didn't see that ending.

Congrats HC. Not sure either team deserved to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Holy Cross wins! Nice to get a playoff win but man that was ugly.

Villanova should roll the Crusaders next week. If nothing else the "Chesney Watch" will last a few more days....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Didn't see that ending.

Congrats HC. Not sure either team deserved to win.

Looked like a bracket filler game. Those two teams are nowhere close to being on a "national level". NEC and PL football....yikes....

crusader11
November 27th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Was thinking of flying up to Philly for our game against Villanova.

After what I saw today, may be better off staying home.

Sacred Heart outplayed and outcoached us. We shouldn’t have won.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Sacred Heart’s DC had to have money on Holy Cross.

Playing D like they had a 2+ score lead with :30 to play…in a 4 point game with plenty of time remaining. Coaching malpractice.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:12 PM

Playing D like they had a 2+ score lead in a 4 point game with plenty of time remaining. Coaching malpractice.

Should have went for it on the HC 34. Punting made zero sense at the time....

crusader11
November 27th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Should have went for it on the HC 34. Punting made zero sense at the time....

Yes. First down likely would have won the game.

Especially when that punt netted them 14 yards.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 27th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Congrats to HC nice comeback, thinking Nova wins by a couple of TD's. Both these teams seem to be a step below the CAA. Maine destroyed SHU in 2019, time will tell. Good luck to HC and Nova next week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Congrats to HC nice comeback, thinking Nova wins by a couple of TD's. Both these teams seem to be a step below the CAA. Maine destroyed SHU in 2019, time will tell. Good luck to HC and Nova next week.

Dartmouth clobbered SHU to start the year. Just a shame the IL doesn't participate in the playoffs. Northeast/New England football is not good right now....

Fordham
November 27th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Congrats HC. Ugly game but any playoff win is a million times better than even a well played playoff loss

Sader87
November 27th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Just got back....brrrr....shades of the Merrimack game earlier this year, HC O seemed out of sync (until the end) all day...but kudos to SHU on inspired defensive play overall.

Chesney wins these types of games...Gilmore lost them.

Gangtackle11
November 27th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Congrats to Holy Cross on the win. See ya on the Main Line next Friday! xpeacex

Sader87
November 27th, 2021, 09:53 PM
SHU played Delaware pretty tough in the FCS playoffs in the Spring....it was only 12-10 Hens pretty late in that one, before winning 19-10.

It was a tough day to play today with the wind-chill and wind-speed....hats off to SHU for playing a great game.

Sluka may not always look "good" at QB but the kid is a winnah. Glad we have him.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 09:57 PM
SHU played Delaware pretty tough in the FCS playoffs in the Spring....it was only 12-10 Hens pretty late in that one, before winning 19-10.

It was a tough day to play today with the wind-chill and wind-speed....hats off to SHU for playing a great game.

Sluka may not always look "good" at QB but the kid is a winnah. Glad we have him.

All true, I really wasn’t onboard with all those saying your QB sucked.. not at all really

ysubigred
November 27th, 2021, 10:02 PM
All true, I really wasn’t onboard with all those saying your QB sucked.. not at all reallyWatching this game really enforces the need for only 16 teams.. wowsa..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 27th, 2021, 10:04 PM
All true, I really wasn’t onboard with all those saying your QB sucked.. not at all really

Sluka is a tough cookie and good runner but he did not play well today. The game winning throw was an answered prayer into double coverage. #80 made a helluva play! That type of offense isn't going to cut it against 'Nova. SHU has a legitimately good defense but 'Nova's is still a bit better relative to competition/personnel.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 10:17 PM
Sluka is a tough cookie and good runner but he did not play well today. The game winning throw was an answered prayer into double coverage. #80 made a helluva play! That type of offense isn't going to cut it against 'Nova. SHU has a legitimately good defense but 'Nova's is still a bit better relative to competition/personnel.

Yes, Sacred Heart played Delaware very tough last spring in playoff game. Nova has off days but if they are clicking they will win without much of a struggle
However
Nova RB Covington doesn’t look 100 % coming off injury and running game was bottled up all day vs the Hens

HC plays run well

Daniel Smith has locked on to WR Hayak and for good reasons...he is good

ngineer
November 27th, 2021, 11:20 PM
Congrats to HC for getting to play another week. I'll take an ugly win any day. There are no 'style points'. Weather actually appears to be milder next week with temps in upper 40's and around 50.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 28th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Playing D like they had a 2+ score lead with :30 to play…in a 4 point game with plenty of time remaining. Coaching malpractice.

NEC football, baby!