PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Flacco joins the Hen Nation

Blue Hen Nation
August 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM
DATE: August 30, 2005
NEWARK, DE -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler has announced that sophomore quarterback Joe Flacco, a transfer from the University of Pittsburgh, has enrolled at the University of Delaware and will join the Blue Hen football team Tuesday afternoon.

Flacco, a 6-6, 220 lb. native of Audobon, NJ, underwent a physical Monday and is enrolled in classes at Delaware, which started classes for the 2005-06 academic year on Tuesday. He will practice with the Blue Hens for the first time Tuesday afternoon.

Because Flacco was not released from his scholarship at Pittsburgh, he will not be eligible to play in any games this season for Delaware. Flacco sat out the 2003 season at Pittsburgh as a red-shirt before playing in three games for the Panthers last season, and will have two years of eligibility remaining at Delaware beginning in the 2006 season.

Last year Flacco completed one of four passes on the season, completing an 11-yard pass during the fourth quarter of Pittsburgh’s 43-14 win over South Florida on December 4. Flacco, who also played in the Panthers’ games against Ohio University and Nebraska, rushed six times for a net of zero yards last season.

Flacco was a two-time New Jersey All-Group II, two-time All-South Jersey, and two-time South Jersey All-Group II selection at Audobon High School. :)

youwouldno
August 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Just out of curiosity since I don't know, was Andy Hall homegrown or a transfer?

Actually Delaware got a commitment from a star QB out of PA a few years ago but then he was drafted by my baseball team (the Twins) in the 4th round, so he signed. Dave Shinskie. Good thing for the rest of the A-10 too from what I understand, he was good.

Blue Hen Nation
August 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Andy transfered from Georgia Tech

henfan
August 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Shinskie and Flacco were from the same 2003 recruiting class. Oddly enough, Rivals.com had Shinskie rated as the 37th best QB recruit in the country and Flacco as the 39th. We didn't land Shinskie but we eventually got someone comparable.

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Andy Hall was a transfer from Georgia Tech... it would be nice if Flacco worked out as well as Mr Hall. As for Shinskie... he was a highly regarded QB and his loss hurt the Hens QB situation... which ironically led to an opening for another transfer.

HensRock
August 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Just out of curiosity since I don't know, was Andy Hall homegrown or a transfer?

Actually Delaware got a commitment from a star QB out of PA a few years ago but then he was drafted by my baseball team (the Twins) in the 4th round, so he signed. Dave Shinskie. Good thing for the rest of the A-10 too from what I understand, he was good.

We were very excited to sign Shinskie too. Too bad he bolted for MLB. Not doing too well in the minor leagues from what I hear either. His failure to enroll and one other QB has made it necessary to go the transfer route to Flacco. Same recruiting class as Dave btw. Rated #39 and #37 QB's in the nation that year respectively.

youwouldno
August 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Do Hens fans think that getting so many transfers hurts your ability to recruit QBs? I'm not going to talk smack about taking transfers, Furman does have Martin (though he's basically the only transfer QB to play in at least 25 years for us), but I wonder what the effect is. Delaware's good enough that maybe it doesn't matter... Sam Houston, the way their going, won't be able to recruit a good QB if he has half a brain because they're taking transfers like it's going out of style.

89Hen
August 30th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Do Hens fans think that getting so many transfers hurts your ability to recruit QBs?
I'm think maybe, IF Flacco becomes the starter. Two year transfer Andy Hall, two year transfer Sonny Riccio, two year transfer Joe Flacco... if that's your starting QBs for six years running, that would scare me away if I'm a HS QB. :(

FightinBluHen51
August 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I'm think maybe, IF Flacco becomes the starter. Two year transfer Andy Hall, two year transfer Sonny Riccio, two year transfer Joe Flacco... if that's your starting QBs for six years running, that would scare me away if I'm a HS QB. :(
But there is this little protoche (sp?) of the most plorific passer in UD history waiting in the wings for next season. Flacco's transfer does not by any means assure him of the starting job, especially when this kid has one full year, and will have 2 full years and 1 season behind him come next fall camp. Should be a good one.

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
So far under Keeler in three classes... UD has recruited just one HS QB and he is a red shirt Fr this year. So as of yet NO recruit has been ousted by a transfer. Maybe you could fault KC for not recruiting more HS QBs... but he was shooting high and lost a few gambles. As it is... without Flacco... UD would be heading into the '06 season with just two scholarship QBs on their roster. Not a good situation to be in. Having lost one QB recruit to MLB and another who was expect to sign to Central Florida... Keeler could be faulted far more... if he didn't bring in a transfer before the start of the '06 season.

Blue Hen Nation
August 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Jared "Nuke" Moyer is a gifted QB and will give Flacco a run for his money. If I remember correctly, Moyer's Center from Manheim Central also signed with the Blue Hens. The synergy between the two could play big in Moyer's run to start in 2006.

Go Hens!

MR. CHICKEN
August 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
DATE: August 30, 2005
NEWARK, DE -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler has announced that sophomore quarterback Joe Flacco, a transfer from the University of Pittsburgh, has enrolled at the University of Delaware and will join the Blue Hen football team Tuesday afternoon.

Flacco, a 6-6, 220 lb. native of Audobon, NJ, underwent a physical Monday and is enrolled in classes at Delaware, which started classes for the 2005-06 academic year on Tuesday. He will practice with the Blue Hens for the first time Tuesday afternoon.

Because Flacco was not released from his scholarship at Pittsburgh, he will not be eligible to play in any games this season for Delaware. Flacco sat out the 2003 season at Pittsburgh as a red-shirt before playing in three games for the Panthers last season, and will have two years of eligibility remaining at Delaware beginning in the 2006 season.

Last year Flacco completed one of four passes on the season, completing an 11-yard pass during the fourth quarter of Pittsburgh’s 43-14 win over South Florida on December 4. Flacco, who also played in the Panthers’ games against Ohio University and Nebraska, rushed six times for a net of zero yards last season.

Flacco was a two-time New Jersey All-Group II, two-time All-South Jersey, and two-time South Jersey All-Group II selection at Audobon High School. :)

NEWS JOURNAL...SAID FLACCO HAD 3 YRS. ELIGIBILITY!...WHAT DOES NOT BEIN' RELEASED FROM DUH PITT SCHOLARSHIP HAVE TA DO WHIFF HIM HAVIN' TA SIT OUT IN '05?.........AH BELIEVE HE IS ENTITLED TA PLAY DIS YEAR...BUT HAS TA PAY HIS OWN WAY...UNTIL PITT RELEASES HIS SCHOLLIE!...HE WOULD HAVE TA PAY HIS OWN WAY EVEN IF HE DIDN'T PARTICIPATE DIS SEASON!....ANYTIME YA GO FROM I-A TA I-AA YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TA PLAY WHIFF OUT SITTIN' OUT DUH SEASON!.......IF DUH AVIAN IS INCORRECT...PLEASE EXPLAIN!..........:confused:.........BRAWK!

FightinBluHen51
August 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Jared "Nuke" Moyer is a gifted QB and will give Flacco a run for his money. If I remember correctly, Moyer's Center from Manheim Central also signed with the Blue Hens. The synergy between the two could play big in Moyer's run to start in 2006.

Go Hens!

That is exactly right BHN, now that you mention it, I recall the exact same thing. Um, btw, isn't that the same HS that another good UD QB came from? HMMMMMMMMMMM *while scratching my chin*

How the hell did he get the nickname Nuke? I LIKE IT! :D

MR. CHICKEN
August 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM
K.C. .....RECRUITED SHINSKIE....STOLE HIM FROM MICHIGAN STATE.......DEN BASEBALL CAME KNOCKIN' ON DUH SHINSKIE ABODE!..(SIGNIN' BONUS DUCATS!)....WHAT'S UH COACH TA DO...WHEN YA HANG YOUR HAT ON SOMEBODY....AN' DEY LEAVE YA HIGH 'N DRY?...DAT'S RIGHT LADS......TRANSFERS!.......BEEN GOIN' ON SINCE ADAM 'N EVE.....JUCO'S.....UNHAPPY I-A LADS.........PREP SCHOOLERS........COME ON BOYZ.........YA'LL GOTTA KNOW HOW DUH GAME IS PLAYED BY NOW!!!!!!!................xbdayx ................BRAWK!

P.S. ASK DUH BEARKATS.....ASK UMA$$......ASK DUH GRIZ.........ASK FURPLE......ASK JMU........AWK@A-10/GPI.BRAWK!

ChickenMan
August 30th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I guess that answers your question.

Sorry Ralphie but it doesn't... UD only went after one QB in each of Keeler's three recruiting classes. KC got the first one Shinskie... but then lost him to the Minnesota Twins... he also got the second one Moyer... who's on the roster now and looks like a quality talent The third... was Neaseman a QB out of Florida who had UD as his second choice and told KC he was coming... but 1A Central Florida (his top choice) offered very late and the kid stayed home. So in reality Keeler was two for three. UD fans aren't too worried about KC's ability to recruit QBs or anything else. However... when you get the opportunity to pick up quality transfers like Hall... Riccio and now Flacco I think you had best take them and worry about recruting high school QBs later.

PS... maybe transfer QBs is really the way to go. Three of last year's four 1AA semi final teams had them...

JMU... Rascati
Montana... Ochs
Furman... Martin

youwouldno
August 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I think to some degree it's a predictable situation, because I-A schools overrecruit at QB (given they have more schollies to offer) and the playing time losers still want to play, and often have limited options aside from QB (a receiver has a better chance to play ST, maybe move to defense, etc.).

Since, barring injury, only 1 gets major PT, that means some quality players are going to transfer down.

And it's not reasonable for a I-AA to take a pass on Ingle Martin, or Dustin Long, or Craig Ochs, or a guy like that. But not every transfer turns out well. It's smart to try and develop guys, IMHO, but to adapt if a transfer opportunity comes along.

Personally, I was glad Furman landed Jordan Sorrells, because bringing a talented QB up in the system from day 1 has its benefits.

headdressguy
August 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM
CM, minor correction. Furman wasn't a semifinalist last year, but SHSU was with their transfer from Texas A&M, Dustin Long.

FlyBoy8
August 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Delaware can only be criticized if Keeler fails to land a solid freshman QB recruit next year. As CM said, UD is two for three:

2002 - signed Dave Shinskie
2003 - signed Jarryd Moyer
2004 - failed to sign Marquel Neasman

Shinskie went on to pro baseball.

Moyer has looked tremendous and may very well start next year.

Neasman told UD that as long as UCF didn't offer, he was a Blue Hen. UD coaches talked to UCF and UCF told them they had somebody else and wouldn't offer. Then UCF lost one of their recruits, came in and offered Neasman literally days before Signing Day. Nothing UD could do.

We will see next February whether or not these transfers have an effect.

Tribe4SF
August 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM

I remember taking alot of heat from UD fans on the CaaZone last spring for saying the same thing. I believe a history of I-A transfer QBs will inevitably make I-AA level prospects think twice. JMU was unable to recruit a H.S. QB this year, and I believe has brought in another transfer from Kent State.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 05:42 AM
This guy wasn't a transfer, 2004 Payton Award winner Lang Campbell (neither was Buchanan winner Jordan Beck):

But these two guys were...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cs/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/99521.jpeg

Justin Rascati... 2004 I-AA Championship QB

http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/content/awards/tristate_player/2003/hall3.jpg

Andy Hall... 2003 I-AA Championship QB

;)

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:25 AM
I remember taking alot of heat from UD fans on the CaaZone last spring for saying the same thing.
But that was pre-Flacco. :p

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 08:30 AM
But that was pre-Flacco. :p

Flacco.....I don't know about that name. Makes me want to reach for toilet paper. :D

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 08:36 AM
Flacco.....I don't know about that name. Makes me want to reach for toilet paper. :D

If he leads UD to two wins over the Tribe... toilet paper may not be enough... :p

GannonFan
August 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM
You know, the next thing we're going to hear is if Moyer, the HS recruited kid, beats Flacco, the IA transfer, for the starting job next Spring. Then people will be saying that will hurt our ability to recruit transfers because they can be beat out by top notch high school recruits. UD has a long history (Komlo, Brunner, Scully, Gannon, Vergantino, Hamlett, Nagy, Hall) of quality QB's over the past 25 years that rivals anyone else's list and only 1 of them was a transfer - this only hurts recruiting if Keeler and the rest of the bunch aren't the top notch recruiters they claim to be. So far there's no evidence that it has so we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, now we have real competition for the job next Spring so all is good in Hen Land.

HensRock
August 31st, 2005, 08:48 AM
So far under Keeler in three classes... UD has recruited just one HS QB

Just to be clear so that no one misunderstands your point CM...

In 3 years, Keeler has recruited about 16 quarterbacks, probably about 4 of which were offered scholarships, 3 of which gave verbal commitments, 2 of which signed letters of intent, and only 1 of which actually enrolled at UD.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM
UD has a long history (Komlo, Brunner, Scully, Gannon, Vergantino, Hamlett, Nagy, Hall) of quality QB's over the past 25 years that rivals anyone else's list and only 1 of them was a transfer
Yeah, but it's the last one, and IF Sonny has a good year and IF Flacco wins the starting job and their names get added to the list... you see my point.

henfan
August 31st, 2005, 09:22 AM
I believe Lang Campbell transferred to W&M from Handley HS in Winchester, VA. ;)

Look, all kids that come into a program transfer in from somewhere else. What difference does it make where the student-athletes come from, whether it be directly from a high school, or via a community college, another university or abroad, so long as they qualify according to the institutions' and the NCAA's academic standards? Kids who enroll directly from HS are not somehow more pure than those who come in another way.

FightinBluHen51
August 31st, 2005, 10:00 AM
I believe Lang Campbell transferred to W&M from Handley HS in Winchester, VA. ;)

Look, all kids that come into a program transfer in from somewhere else. What difference does it make where the student-athletes come from, whether it be directly from a high school, or via a community college, another university or abroad, so long as they qualify according to the institutions' and the NCAA's academic standards? Kids who enroll directly from HS are not somehow more pure than those who come in another way.
Media perception my friend, media perception.

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Nice helmet!

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 10:54 AM
Nice find BHN. Can you name the other UD transfer that also had a winged helmet in HS?

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM

It has nothing to do with purity. Transfers are not recruited, they just become available. If a program becomes dependent on them, they are rolling the dice that they'll attract more in the future.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 11:00 AM
Transfers are not recruited
Yes, they are.

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Nice find BHN. Can you name the other UD transfer that also had a winged helmet in HS?

Hmmm, you got me. :confused:

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Here's one more gents

henfan
August 31st, 2005, 11:17 AM
It has nothing to do with purity. Transfers are not recruited, they just become available.

Yeah, so? A student-athlete recruited out of HS is not any more worthy of a scholarship than one who walks on, transfers in from another institution of higher learning, etc. Athletic scholarships, like academic grants, are renewable annually. All have to compete (academically and athletically) to earn that 'free' education.

If your FB program isn't doing everything it can to attract the best student-athletes available, that's certainly their perogative.

henfan
August 31st, 2005, 11:22 AM
Can you name the other UD transfer that also had a winged helmet in HS?

Keith Burnell from Western Branch HS, (Chesapeake, VA). Apparently their coach, Lew Johnston, has a lot of respect for Tubby Raymond, Delaware and the Wing-T.

Blue Hen Nation
August 31st, 2005, 11:30 AM
Good call Henfan.

Speaking of Burnell, he was just released by the Ravens on Monday.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
It seems to me... that the fans of the schools who question the wisdom of taking 'transfers' the most... are the fans of the schools who get them the least... :p

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Keith Burnell from Western Branch HS, (Chesapeake, VA). Apparently their coach, Lew Johnston, has a lot of respect for Tubby Raymond, Delaware and the Wing-T.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner and bonus points for recalling that they ran the Wing-T at Western Branch.

http://www.deepcreekalumni.com/DCSports/football/PictureOfTheYear2004.jpg

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
It seems to me... that the fans of the schools who question the wisdom of taking 'transfers' the most... are the fans of the schools who get them the least... :p

Well, I've succeeded as I did last spring in ending up at odds with a flock of yardbirds over this. :deadhorse

My question about taking multiple QB RECRUITS has nothing to do with ethics, worthiness, or ANY OTHER POSITION. My point is the same as 89Hens was in the first post I replied to in this thread.

Like your namesakes, you Hens sure are an edgy bunch. :shakingma

And if UD is recruiting transfers, I'd like to know how. Who talks to them? Do their current coaches not mind? :confused:

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 04:17 PM
And if UD is recruiting transfers, I'd like to know how. Who talks to them? Do their current coaches not mind? :confused:
Not before their current school signs a 'permission to contact' letter, but after that they're fair game. All transfers visit schools the same way they do when they are coming out of HS. Current UD QB Sonny Riccio was thought to be going to YSU until Keeler lured him to UD.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM
You can bet if a particular program or coach has a track record of success with a 1A QB transfers that any future prospective QB transfers are made well aware of that history as they consider their options. Transfers are no different than recruits... in that they are looking for a place where they believe that they will have a real shot to play... as well as a program that has a track record of success. While some fans seem to believe that having a history of accepting QB transfers will hamper the future recruiting of HS QBs... I think that having a positive history with transfers is more likely to insure that your school will always be an attractive option when quality 1A QBs look for a new home in 1AA.

youwouldno
August 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM

Doubtful. The schools that accept the most transfers, i.e. UTC, are usually not too good- hence why they need so many transfers. Quantity-wise UD doesn't take an enormous number from what I understand, it's mainly high-quality players and recently a few of them have been QBs.

I question the wisdom of taking transfers too much and I'm a Furman fan... our QB and 2 of our 3 top receivers are transfers. It's unusual for us, but that's currently the case. I still think it's better to develop guys from within as to promote team cohesion.

If a really good player becomes available, though, not many people are arguing a smart team will turn them away. They may be saying it's unwise to rely on them, but I don't think that's a criticism of UD. A couple Hens fans seem a little defensive though, for some reason.

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Doubtful. The schools that accept the most transfers, i.e. UTC, are usually not too good- hence why they need so many transfers. Quantity-wise UD doesn't take an enormous number from what I understand, it's mainly high-quality players and recently a few of them have been QBs.

You missed my point

Originally Posted by ChickenMan
It seems to me... that the fans of the schools who question the wisdom of taking 'transfers' the most... are the fans of the schools who get them the least...

I didn't say anything about schools who take the "most" having success... I agree that they seldom do. My point was about the 'complaining' of the schools who take the "least"... ;)

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Not before their current school signs a 'permission to contact' letter, but after that they're fair game. All transfers visit schools the same way they do when they are coming out of HS. Current UD QB Sonny Riccio was thought to be going to YSU until Keeler lured him to UD.

Obviously Flacco was not recruited. He hasn't been released from his contract with Pitt.

foghorn
August 31st, 2005, 05:54 PM
Obviously Flacco was not recruited. He hasn't been released from his contract with Pitt.
That's correct Tribe, but we've got him and he's SPECTACULAR! :D Go Hens!

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
My point was about the 'complaining' of the schools who take the "least"... ;)

I've never complained about UD or any other school taking transfers. So I know you weren't referring to me. ;)

ChickenMan
August 31st, 2005, 06:32 PM
I've never complained about UD or any other school taking transfers. So I know you weren't referring to me. ;)

Not W&M fans... our friends from the Patriot League... those Mountain Squawks... :D

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:35 PM
The 'permission to contact' letter is not the same as being released from scholarship. He couldn't have even talked to Keeler if the former hadn't happened.

MR. CHICKEN
August 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM

TRIBAL MEMBER...DIDN'T CORLEY...TRANSFER FROM N.C. STATE?......IF SO....:rotateh:...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

blukeys
August 31st, 2005, 09:59 PM
I've been interested in Dave W's refusal to release Flacco from his scholarship. UD has typically gotten 3-4 I-A transfers for the last 25 years. I have never heard of a coach not releasing a player to go to I-AA. I'm sure there are cases where a coach plays hardball if the player is going to another I-A school or a conference opponent but I can't recall a similar situation for a player going to a I-AA school that will not compete with the I-A institution.
Flacco was unhappy enough at Pitt that he is willing to pay his own way at UD and sit out a year. It sounds as if he was going to leave Pitt regardless and could have chosen a half dozen quality I-AA programs who would have been interested in him.

I think there is a big downside for Pitt in this situation. It makes Dave W look petty and vengeful. There is a recruiting bonus for schools competing with Pitt. ("You better love playing for Pitt because Wannstadt won't let you transfer even to a I-AA school."). By holding the scolly Dave W. can't reward a deserving walk on who deserves a little help in the tuition department. This always goes a long way by giving encouragement to walk ons who give competition to the scholarship players.

Is anyone aware of a similar situation where a player leaves one division for another and the coach refuses to release the scolly?

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM
TRIBAL MEMBER...DIDN'T CORLEY...TRANSFER FROM N.C. STATE?......IF SO....:rotateh:...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

No, Corley was a H.S. recruit out of South Carolina. He won the job as a redshirt freshman over Kevin Carty (his little brother is at UD now), who had transfered from UNC.

The only transfer who has started at QB for W&M was Ken Lambiotte in the mid 80s. He was a basketball player at UVA, but did not play football there.

ChickenMan
September 1st, 2005, 05:47 AM
The only transfer who has started at QB for W&M was Ken Lambiotte in the mid 80s.

Obviously you guys need to improve the quality of your transfers... :D

SunCoastBlueHen
September 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM
It has nothing to do with purity. Transfers are not recruited, they just become available. If a program becomes dependent on them, they are rolling the dice that they'll attract more in the future.

Transfers (especially good ones) are recruited to the degree that they likely have many options to choose from at the I-AA level and they have to be sold on a school and a program. It seems to me that this is a strength of coach Keeler as he is passionate about UD and is an excellent salesman.

It also would appear that KC has a great network in place as he always seems to have an inside track on a quality transfer who fits a team need.

I think some teams will take any old transfer that looks their way, while Delaware can pick and choose based on need. This is why UD has been more successful on the transfer front than other programs.

foghorn
September 1st, 2005, 08:38 AM
:) Excellent post, SCBH. KC's high profile has enabled UD to get over 200 transfer applicants last year alone. This is not by accident; it is through hard work and networking. Getting quality transfers is indeed an aspect of recruiting, and while not its main focus, can sure put a team over the top, UD, JMU, Montana, etc., can certainly attest to that. :D Go Hens!

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 09:32 AM
UD to get over 200 transfer applicants last year alone
:confused: Huh?

SunCoastBlueHen
September 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM
I believe KC had stated before that he had hundreds of letter of inquiry from transfers looking to UD. Fog's use of the word "Applicants" may not have been 100% correct, but the point remains the same.

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 10:02 AM
I think that figure has to include JUCO transfers, which would be understandable.

foghorn
September 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM
I think that figure has to include JUCO transfers, which would be understandable.

KC said on his last radio show of '04 that, during the year, he had around 200 'inquiries' from I-A football players interested in transferring to UD . He did NOT mention JUCOS. Has KC taken a JUCO? I'm sure there are a lot of frustrated D-IA players riding the pines trying to find an option. As a coach, finding the right 'fit' for your program requires a lot of insight and keen evaluation. Fortunately for us, KC has both. :p

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2005, 12:49 PM
KC said on his last radio show of '04 that, during the year, he had around 200 'inquiries' from I-A football players interested in transferring to UD . He did NOT mention JUCOS. Has KC taken a JUCO? I'm sure there are a lot of frustrated D-IA players riding the pines trying to find an option. As a coach, finding the right 'fit' for your program requires a lot of insight and keen evaluation. Fortunately for us, KC has both. :p

How can this mean anything but a 'nice fit with Delaware' meaning 'you will have a great chance to play football'? Do academics ever enter into KC's discussions with recruits? I'm sorry, if this is true that KC has 200 inquiries from I-A players on his desk, it violates the entire spirit of transfers... and fully justifies the view of Delaware as Transfer U.

GannonFan
September 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
How can this mean anything but a 'nice fit with Delaware' meaning 'you will have a great chance to play football'? Do academics ever enter into KC's discussions with recruits? I'm sorry, if this is true that KC has 200 inquiries from I-A players on his desk, it violates the entire spirit of transfers... and fully justifies the view of Delaware as Transfer U.

Wow, just more rants, less substance. Seeing how UD only takes a handful of IA transfers per year (still on the average of 3 a year) then 3 out of 200 inquiries must mean that some filtering out is taking place. Academics must be a consideration as no transfer has struggled to graduate from UD - heck, the much maligned Sean Johnson transfer was probably one of the more intelligent football players in all of football - I believe his Wonderlic score at the NFL combine was reported to be one of the highest in over 10 years (until Ryan Fitzgerald's this past year, btw). Fact is many of the transfers are guys who have had sterling academic credentials. As for the "great chance to play football" of course the ones selected out of that pool will be good candidates to play, but nothing's guaranteed. Ryan McDermond transferred from Louisville and never was able to start for UD over 3 years here - he couldn't beat out the guys in front of him. There are other examples just like that.

And what spirit of transfers has been "violated" here?

And while you may think that makes UD Transfer U, it still doesn't get around the facts that UD, in KC's term, has never brought in a JUCO transfer (as many schools do and often these are more questionable recruits), and that the number of transfers UD brings in is well in the middle of IAA schools in terms of numbers. Maybe KC just does a better job of determining who's the best in the bunch and he gets those. Quality over quantity.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM

????! This speaks to the fact that players are looking toward Delaware, not that Delaware is advertising for transfers. The point is that UD can be very selective if they need to look toward a transfer to fill a hole. By selective, I mean kids that fit in both athletically and academically. All of the transfers that Delaware has taken, to my knowledge, have been good students and quality people.

henfan
September 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Do academics ever enter into KC's discussions with recruits?

You must be kidding me. That has to be one of the most sanctimonious comments I've read recently, considering that Lehigh has taken two UD & 1 Rutgers QB transfer in the last 4 years. I'm sure Lembro brought those kids in purely because of LU's superior academics though. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, if this is true that KC has 200 inquiries from I-A players on his desk, it violates the entire spirit of transfers... and fully justifies the view of Delaware as Transfer U.

I'm not sure I follow the logic. The players are contacting UD, not the other way around. Only a small fraction of the kids interested get a sniff from Keeler.

The only thing UD's guilty of is being viewed as a desirable transfer destination for kids who want to play football and get a good education in a supportive, pleasant environment. Guilty as charged.

(Now that I think of it, I think your basketball team took one of our point guards also. If UD's 'Transfer U', then LU must be 'Transfer U's Farm Team'.)

ChickenMan
September 1st, 2005, 01:44 PM
Isn't it ironic that the LU Moutain Squawks... in very recent years... have taken two UD transfers... both would you believe it... QBs ... :p while the Hens have never... to my knowledge... taken a Lehigh transfer... at any position... ;) Seems to be to be a lot of unwarranted LU squawking on this topic... but I guess that's to be expected... :D

foghorn
September 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
:rolleyes: Still waiting for the "but we don't give athletic scholarships" routine from the mountain hawks yet. But, stay tuned, I'm sure it's forthcoming. :D
Go Hens !

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
KC said on his last radio show of '04 that, during the year, he had around 200 'inquiries' from I-A football players interested in transferring to UD
No way do I believe even half of that figure. I don't know if 200 I-A players transfer over a two year period. Doesn't Rock or somebody keep numbers on I-A to I-AA tansfers.

foghorn
September 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
No way do I believe even half of that figure. I don't know if 200 I-A players transfer over a two year period. Doesn't Rock or somebody keep numbers on I-A to I-AA tansfers.
He's on WDEL tonight and RDX next Thursday. Call him on it. :confused:

89Hen
September 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Not worth wasting his time. We can waste our debating it.