PDA

View Full Version : Now we need to be Michigan fans

JohnStOnge
September 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
If you think App State beating Michigan gained respect for FCS, think again. Michigan is now the first team in history to drop from the top 5 in the major I-A/FBS polls to unranked in one week.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=710026

And that for a two point loss. What that tells me is that an awful lot of people think that Michigan lost to a team that no top 25 FBS team should lose to. To me, it's saying that the thought is that the Wolverines lost to a really bad team.

So let's hope Michigan does well and finishes ranked...as highly ranked as possible.

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
If you think App State beating Michigan gained respect for FCS, think again. Michigan is now the first team in history to drop from the top 5 in the major I-A/FBS polls to unranked in one week.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=710026

And that for a two point loss. What that tells me is that an awful lot of people think that Michigan lost to a team that no top 25 FBS team should lose to. To me, it's saying that the thought is that the Wolverines lost to a really bad team.

So let's hope Michigan does well and finishes ranked...as highly ranked as possible.

After this coming Saturday I'll cheer for the maize and blue all year long.

After this Saturday.

:D

RadMann
September 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I generally root for Michigan (except against ASU) and will continue to root for the Wolverines (especially against Notre Dame).

Griz0383
September 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
The Wolverines are out of the top 25 with one loss!!! This is a slap in the face to the entire FCS community and it shows the FBS folks will never give any FCS team the respect no matter what the score is. It will always be what Michigan did wrong rather than what APS did right! I saw more speed, better coaching, execution on both sides of the ball and what truely impressed me was APS played as a TEAM. APS is amazing!!

Peems
September 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I was going to start the same topic, we need Michigan to prove themselves, or have FCS win all remaining matchups against FBS

bkrownd
September 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
"We"? Uhhh...that's a negative, Houston. (The very thought makes me feel dirty. xoopsx )

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I really don't see Michigan coming close to winning out this season, not because I don't think that they are good but because their goal was to win a national championship, and their morale is probably not salvageable right now. Also, ASU's win could embolden Michigan's opponents.

And if Michigan does well for the rest of the season, the pundits will probably just say "my how UM has improved since week 1, great job coach Carr!!". I just don't think ASU will get any credit, unless they go 15-0 and have an average margin of victory of 40+.

But you are right, I'd rather them do well than suck this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
The Wolverines are out of the top 25 with one loss!!! This is a slap in the face to the entire FCS community and it shows the FBS folks will never give any FCS team the respect no matter what the score is. It will always be what Michigan did wrong rather than what APS did right! I saw more speed, better coaching, execution on both sides of the ball and what truely impressed me was APS played as a TEAM. APS is amazing!!

I know what you mean...in '04 UGA moved down one space in the AP poll because they lost to us by 20 frikkin' points. 20!! I myself would have voted Michigan at 12 or so.

JohnStOnge
September 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yep. If Michigan would have lost to, say, Southern Miss by 2 points, they'd have dropped but they'd have stayed well within the top 25. And I think App is comparable to Southern Miss in caliber. But the fact that App is in FCS (actually, "I-AA" to most people) means the loss carries a greater consequence.

bobbythekidd
September 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I know what you mean...in '04 UGA moved down one space in the AP poll because they lost to us by 20 frikkin' points. 20!! I myself would have voted Michigan at 12 or so.
We beat UGA? Sweet! I missed that one.

I know it was just a typo. UGA-48, GSU-28, for those of you without the Cliff's Notes.

I agree with JSO, the better Michigan does this season, the better the rest of the FCS will look. Right now, Michigan stinks for losing to the little guys of football. If they pound everyone else into the ground, Appy will be the better team.xtwocentsx

bshgriz
September 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Why?If Michigan does good noone will respect them anymore,they will just say it was a fluke and if they played again scUM would kill app.

bobbythekidd
September 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Why?If Michigan does good noone will respect them anymore,they will just say it was a fluke and if they played again scUM would kill app.
If they played again, I would expect Michigan to beat App. Just like I did last time. Michigan would better prepare and App would not be so lucky as to win off of 2 blocked kicks.

They won't play again, so it doesn't matter. The point is, if Michigan runs the table, and wins by large margins, then App is great to keep this game close. The divide between FBS and FCS will be perceived as very narrow versus very large, as the populace thinks it now.

CamelCityAppFan
September 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I just don't think ASU will get any credit, unless they go 15-0 and have an average margin of victory of 40+.

I'm all for that!xsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
September 5th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Disclaimer for what I'm about to write. There would better chance of one person winning the mega millions and powerball on the same days but.

How about Mich wins out 11-1 undefeated in FBS. Except for one team, all other FBS teams finish with 2 losses or more and Meechicken then goes to the champ game, and wins the Sears trophy. APP goes undefeated wins championship and holds the win over Mich. xbowx Kirk Herbstriet is then fired! xthumbsupx :D

SCPALADIN
September 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
"We"? Uhhh...that's a negative, Houston. (The very thought makes me feel dirty. xoopsx )

DITTO...I could never lower myself to pull for UM...the mere thought would make my grandfather spin in his grave. xthumbsdownx xnonox

SoCon48
September 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM

That's your opinion. Mine differs in that I recall an App FG attempt hitting the post and a TD pass dropped in the end zone. Hell, it might would be worse next time.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Damn, all the newspapers, TV scoreboards, and reporters got it wrong. They had UGa winning.xrulesx

HaveFunKc
September 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I really don't see Michigan coming close to winning out this season, not because I don't think that they are good but because their goal was to win a national championship, and their morale is probably not salvageable right now. Also, ASU's win could embolden Michigan's opponents.

And if Michigan does well for the rest of the season, the pundits will probably just say "my how UM has improved since week 1, great job coach Carr!!". I just don't think ASU will get any credit, unless they go 15-0 and have an average margin of victory of 40+.

But you are right, I'd rather them do well than suck this year.

I think Michigan is between the 'rock and a hard place.' The team will come out storming this week because of all the 'bad' press (the local press in Ann Arbor/Detroit has been eating them alive - on top of all the national schtuff). Oregon will see an entirely different team.
What makes it doubly bad is that Oregon has pressure on them as well because of the 'perception' issue of FCS/I-AA. Do you think Oregon wants to lose to Michigan? (The team that just lost to a FCS/I-AA "cupcake".) This weekend will be one helluva game between Oregon and Michigan, and it will be like this all season for the Wolverines. Nobody will want to lose to them - talk about a target on them...
I'm not too big on Michigan personally, but I'm with you; I hope they have a successful season. Every win just adds credence to the APP win (and FCS overall). Come on Big BLUE!! Step up and Play! xthumbsupx

813Jag
September 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
At best I see Michigan winning the Big 10 and going to the Rose Bowl. There's really no way (even if they win out) they'll make the BCS championship. It's hard enough for teams in the 10-15 range in the BCS to move that high. I'm hoping they have a good season to make the ASU win look better. But they have a tough road ahead and we all know how Lloyd Carr does against the Buckeyes. Wisconsin will be a tough game too.

Johnny5
September 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
sorry can't root for michigan much unless they play OSU. As a Notre Dame fan it would just be wrong

The Moody1
September 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
If they played again, I would expect Michigan to beat App. Just like I did last time. Michigan would better prepare and App would not be so lucky as to win off of 2 blocked kicks.

They won't play again, so it doesn't matter. The point is, if Michigan runs the table, and wins by large margins, then App is great to keep this game close. The divide between FBS and FCS will be perceived as very narrow versus very large, as the populace thinks it now.

Too bad you didn't get to actually watch the game or you may have a different take. We should have beaten them worse.

NDState6531
September 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hate to say it but the way ND is playing this year...../shudder I don't see them winning much if any games this year.....

brownbear
September 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hate to say it but the way ND is playing this year...../shudder I don't see them winning much if any games this year.....

With Duke and Stanford on their schedule, I don't see them losing every game. Also, they've beaten Navy about 45 times in a row. Why stop now?

Go...gate
September 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Not a chance will I root for Michigan.

blur2005
September 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I want Wisconsin to win the Big Ten but Michigan going 9-2 and beating Ohio State would be great.

NDState6531
September 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
With Duke and Stanford on their schedule, I don't see them losing every game. Also, they've beaten Navy about 45 times in a row. Why stop now?

True, I guess I should elaborate more and say I don't think they will win against PSU, UM, MSU, Purdue, UCLA, BC, or USC they way they played GT. From what I saw of that game (which wasn't much) it didn't look as though they had any direction on offense and their defence was flat footed and confused. Now I could be wrong and they might be able to snap it all together and pull a couple wins out but they have a LONG way to go for improvment in my opinion.