PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for Conference Rivals

turfdoc
September 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Just a question on rivalries and who you root for.

I am quickly closing in on 100 posts....only took 2 years....Thanks to all you frequent posters.... us readers get a lot of entertainment.

BlueHen86
September 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Just a question on rivalries and who you root for.

I am quickly closing in on 100 posts....only took 2 years....Thanks to all you frequent posters.... us readers get a lot of entertainment.
As a general rule yes, but there are exceptions. For example; I hope Lehigh stomps on 'Nova this week.

bandl
September 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
As a general rule yes, but there are exceptions. For example; I hope Lehigh stomps on 'Nova this week.

We all do....we all do. xwhistlex

kardplayer
September 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM
There's really no clean answer here...

During the playoffs, I root for Patriot League teams (even Lafayette), knowing their wins make it easier to justify an at large for the conference in future years.

During the season, I root for them if they play "up" or "across" (vs. CAA schools, Ivies) since again it gives better credibility but against them against them when they play "down" (e.g. Marist) since it gives us something to smack them about when the trash talking gets flying.

If I was a tOSU or Penn State fan, I would have been rooting for Appalachian State down the stretch on Saturday since I don't "need" Michigan to prove my team is elite.

Seahawks Fan
September 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm always rooting for NEC schools when they play OOC opponents. Last year was a banner year for the NEC.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM
under no circumstances will i root for Virginia's Marching Idiots

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Go Weber Internationalxpeacex

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Go Weber Internationalxpeacex

Ol FU we have come so close to ending the rancor and hatred between the our two schools by the virtue of our friendship...................

and now this!

sniffle, i thought you were different! sniffle you are just like all the others!

TTUEagles
September 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I think it comes from playing against those opponents that I had respect for, but hated them so bad when I played. I cannot bring myself to cheer for the rivals, and never understood how SEC fans, for example, hated a team with a passion, yet cheered for them in the bowls. Like the extra $ 1 mil. mattered to those schools. I do agree, though, that I always pull for OVC teams in the playoffs/tournaments - except for former 1-AA MTSU, NEVER will cheer for MTSUx.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now, there is a rivalry.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now, there is a rivalry.

indeed sir, indeed!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I almost had to go with the 3rd chioce because it's so funny.

But I pull for CAA teams when playing ooc

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Ol FU we have come so close to ending the rancor and hatred between the our two schools by the virtue of our friendship...................

and now this!

sniffle, i thought you were different! sniffle you are just like all the others!

Ah man now you gonna make me feel bad:o
My fingers won't get close to a keyboard for a weekxbawlingx

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I always cheer for NCC, WCHA, and Big 10 teams in non-conference football/hockey games. The only exception to this rule was NDSU when they used to be in the NCC. I could never ever cheer for them under any circumstances. Next year I plan to cheer for Great West teams, so I'm glad NDSU will no longer be a part of that conference.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Ah man now you gonna make me feel bad:o
My fingers won't get close to a keyboard for a weekxbawlingx

enough to make your guts tremble!

Death Dealer
September 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Absolutely pull for conference rivals, even the bellhops. I was very happy to see them stomp CSU this weekend. I was in a bar watching the ASU game Saturday. At first I thought I was the only one pulling for App, because I was the only one yelling and cheering when they did well, and there were plenty of Wolverines in there groaning and complaining. I kinda made a spectacle of myself and then a table of guys over on the other side of the bar started cheering and making some noise, so I went over and struck up a conversation. They were all App State alumns. I told them up front I was a Vermin, and they let me pull up a chair anyway. We had a great time yelling and screaming, by the end of the game we had everybody in the place, except the Michigoners pulling for App State. When Lynch blocked that last FG, the whole place erupted! It was great, casue a ton of FBS'ers were actually watching the App State game instead of their own teams games.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Absolutely pull for conference rivals, even the bellhops. I was very happy to see them stomp CSU this weekend. I was in a bar watching the ASU game Saturday. At first I thought I was the only one pulling for App, because I was the only one yelling and cheering when they did well, and there were plenty of Wolverines in there groaning and complaining. I kinda made a spectacle of myself and then a table of guys over on the other side of the bar started cheering and making some noise, so I went over and struck up a conversation. They were all App State alumns. I told them up front I was a Vermin, and they let me pull up a chair anyway. We had a great time yelling and screaming, by the end of the game we had everybody in the place, except the Michigoners pulling for App State. When Lynch blocked that last FG, the whole place erupted! It was great, casue a ton of FBS'ers were actually watching the App State game instead of their own teams games.

a verminite in a bar? whatever will the goyas say?

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
a verminite in a bar? whatever will the goyas say?

When is he buyingxconfusedx xeyebrowx xlolx

travelinman67
September 4th, 2007, 03:09 PM

We all do....we all do. xwhistlex

Note to self: Add BlueHen86 and bandl to "People I Owe A Beer To" list.
xcoffeex

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I root for confy guys only when:

A. They're playing an FBS
B. Somehow, their winning benefits UNI
C. They're in the playoffs.

Death Dealer
September 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
a verminite in a bar? whatever will the goyas say?xlolx Yeah really.xrolleyesx I remember telling my religion professor that some of my most spiritual experiences had been after spending a night in a bar. He didn't seem to think I was very funny!xcoolx xlolx xwhistlex

walliver
September 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I generally pull for conference rivals, but on occasion my baser instincts come out and I pull against them. I don't want them to get too big for their britches.

Right now, I am pulling for Lenoir-Rhyne so all the Jerry Moore is god and Armanti Edwards is his prophet nonsense will die out (and we can get back to the "six flags" nonsense).:D

Ivytalk
September 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I voted yes in a rare gesture of Ivy solidarity. However, it's hard to foam at the mouth about OOC games against the PL, which is just about all the Ivies do any more with limited exceptions like Yale-USD, Princeton-Hampton and Penn-Villanova.*

*Confession: I always root for whatever team is playing Penn, even Villanova!:p

lizrdgizrd
September 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I always pull for SoCon teams in OOC games. Better SOS makes us look better when we win out. xsmiley_wix

HiHiYikas
September 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
For the most part, yes, I do. I root hardest for our biggest present rival, which has been Furman lately. Year in, year out, I want Furman to win all but one game. All but two, if the 'Dins and Apps should meet in Chattanooga.

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I can't really say I even hate any of Colgate's conference mates. Not even a strong dislike, to be honest. Mutual respect, at worst. Now Cornell on the other hand.... xmadx :D

Seawolf97
September 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Im rooting for the NEC teams this year even thought we are an Indy- except of course when they face Stonybrookxsmiley_wix

ATrain
September 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I always want fellow Big South teams to win their OOC games...we can't afford to really be hating on each other like that right now.

blukeys
September 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I voted yes in a rare gesture of Ivy solidarity. However, it's hard to foam at the mouth about OOC games against the PL, which is just about all the Ivies do any more with limited exceptions like Yale-USD, Princeton-Hampton and Penn-Villanova.*

*Confession: I always root for whatever team is playing Penn, even Villanova!:p

We will have to part company on this one. It would be great to find a way for both teams to lose in this game xnodx xnodx !!