PDA

View Full Version : Petrino Out (Idaho not Missouri State)

Catbooster
November 18th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Not too surprising:

https://tubsattheclub.com/2021/11/18/breaking-news-paul-petrino-out-as-head-football-coach-of-idaho-vandals/

MSUBobcat
November 18th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Petrino’s contract runs through June 30, 2022, with a base salary of $446,214.40

Dafuq?!?! xrotatehx

Catbooster
November 18th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Petrino’s contract runs through June 30, 2022, with a base salary of $446,214.40

Dafuq?!?! xrotatehx
I don't think they cut his pay when they dropped down to FCS? Not sure.

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2021, 07:39 PM

That's correct.

MSUBobcat
November 18th, 2021, 08:47 PM

Even still.... I randomly looked up Central Michigan's base salary for head coach. Jim McElwain gets a base of only $400k. Idaho is no CMU, and Petrino is no McElwain. There's a bunch more additional money that's basically guaranteed, but that seems commonplace in coaches' contracts so I assume Petrino also gets them.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Even still.... I randomly looked up Central Michigan's base salary for head coach. Jim McElwain gets a base of only $400k. Idaho is no CMU, and Petrino is no McElwain. There's a bunch more additional money that's basically guaranteed, but that seems commonplace in coaches' contracts so I assume Petrino also gets them.

I think Farley at UNI is almost a 1/2 million, if I remember correctly (that may be total, not base salary though). He also just got a 5-year extension this last spring which takes him to 2026.

MSUBobcat
November 18th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Can't seem to find a definitive answer (Idaho Statesman article is behind a pay wall), but it seems like his contract was extended sometime in 2016. UI announced they were dropping down on April 26th, 2016. If they had announced they were going to be FCS in 2 seasons, they should have paid him as such. I would suspect he was making well over $600k total. For lackluster performance at best.

Mfergy4
November 19th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Was he not one of the biggest advocates for the 32-Team play-off bracket?

Libertine
November 19th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Can't seem to find a definitive answer (Idaho Statesman article is behind a pay wall), but it seems like his contract was extended sometime in 2016. UI announced they were dropping down on April 26th, 2016. If they had announced they were going to be FCS in 2 seasons, they should have paid him as such. I would suspect he was making well over $600k total. For lackluster performance at best.

Results aside, both parties agreed to the original contract. As such, the school couldn't unilaterally decide they're going to pay him less money without Petrino agreeing to renegotiate. For his part, he was under no obligation whatsoever to renegotiate and I don't know that the argument of "we want to pay you way less money for doing exactly the same job with less resources at your disposal" would have been much of an incentive to do so just because the school yanked the FBS carpet out from under the program.