PDA

View Full Version : SUU vs Univ. of North Dakota

pcola
September 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
This is the only game UND plays against a FCS school this year and the last time UND will play a FCS school as a Division II team. We already know what JBB thinks. What does the rest of the AGS crowd think?

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I think UND will win by 2 or 3 scores.

Good Luck to the Newest FCS school in North Dakota. xthumbsupx

BISON Thunder
September 4th, 2007, 10:21 AM
This is the only game UND plays against a FCS school this year and the last time UND will play a FCS school as a Division II team. We already know what JBB thinks. What does the rest of the AGS crowd think?

I think it will be a close game. I believe both teams are better than most Fargo fans give credit. Good luck to both former (one to be) conference mates!

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I think it will be a close game. I believe both teams are better than most Fargo fans give credit. Good luck to both former (one to be) conference mates!

I'd probably say some Fargo fans vs most Fargo fans, there are many Sioux fans in Fargo. ;)

Still too bad the conference didn't vote to move up. 4-6 was the vote, and now 5 schools have moved up.

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry but I think SUU takes it, or atleast keeps it close. Their QB is fast and definetly not afraid to take a hit. The Griz offense wasn't quite up to par against them but I would suggest airing the ball out because their D won't let much up the middle.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I guess it's good you beat Humbolt State 59-0 because the last two times you opened with a 50+ to 0 wins over Minnesota Crookstan you lost in week two... xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

UND 57 - Minnesota Crookstan 0
Central Washington 43 - UND 7

UND 59 - Minnesota Crookstan 0
Mesa State 31 - UND 24

Should be a good game and if you beat SUU I get a Montana hat from Ronbo because this is the last chance SUU is going to have for a win. GO SIOUX!! :D

JBB
September 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
This is a D2 play-up game. Equally matched squads. "Game of the Century" for UND. Can they keep it together? Can they match up physically? Do they have the depth to keep up?

Time will tell, but the stats rolled up by the Thunderbirds in Montana were impressive. Certainly they are a physical team with a playmaker at QB. Their defense was aggressive and physical as well.

This is no Humboldt State, but SUU is no Montana either. They played with the Griz but in the end just didnt have enough. Could be a mirror image of Saturdays "Game of the Century" for UND with The Thunderbirds prevailing in a good matchup.

Probably this thread should be in the GWFC topic board? This is the "Game of the Century" for UND, but really not a national contest for anyone else. Game of interest because of the divisional difference, thats all.

Ronbo
September 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I think SUU will have a chance against ND (home), Davis (home), Cal Poly (home), SDSU, and MSU. They only lost by 3 at McNeese last season and get them at home. So the home game with McNeese might just be a hornet's nest the Cowboy's are walking into. xsmiley_wix .

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
When did UND last play a Division I opponent?

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Northern Iowa last year, UND won.

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
This is the "Game of the Century" for UND
xconfusedx Didn't UND just beat UNI last year?

TheBisonator
September 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think UND will win by a couple touchdowns, but SUU will make the game look very competative. It could be a shootout type of game. Let's go with that. I predict a high-scoring shootout.

UND 47
SUU 34

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Should be a good game and if you beat SUU I get a Montana hat from Ronbo because this is the last chance SUU is going to have for a win. GO SIOUX!! :D

I don't think this is SUU's best chance for a win this year. UND could be several of the teams on SUU's schedule. DII label is the only thing that makes it look like UND might have a disadvantage, but they have a good coaching staff, and good players, may that could play for FCS teams.

pcola
September 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'm just hoping for a victory, whether it is by a couple of scores or a nail-biter at the end. Last year's UNI game about gave me a heart attack with the back and forth in the fourth quarter.

Go Sioux!!

89Hen
September 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
UND could be several of the teams on SUU's schedule.
Agreed, but the T-birds can't.

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Agreed, but the T-birds can't.

Agreed :(

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM
The SiouxSports.com homepage has a poll asking UND fans what they think will be the toughest game of the season. The choices given are Southern Utah, Nebraska-Omaha, and South Dakota. Southern Utah is currently a distant 3rd in the poll, which tells us all we need to know about whether or not Sioux fans consider this to be the "Game of the Century". Although SUU is the only I-AA opponent on the schedule this year, they are a significant downgrade from UNI (who we beat last year) and just another non-conference game as far as I'm concerned. I expect the Sioux to win this game easily. If they don't I'll be concerned.

AggieFinn
September 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I honestly think SUU can and will win this football game. It is a pretty even match though. SUU being at home should help just enough.

Cap'n Cat
September 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Sue 30
'Birds 10

xnodx

McNeese75
September 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I think SUU will have a chance against ND (home), Davis (home), Cal Poly (home), SDSU, and MSU. They only lost by 3 at McNeese last season and get them at home. So the home game with McNeese might just be a hornet's nest the Cowboy's are walking into. xsmiley_wix .

I am thinking the same thing xnodx . But, I also think our team and coaches will be ready for the birds and bring it when we visit in a few weeks. Like the heat here this past weekend, the altitude in Cedar City will be somewhat of a factor in favor of the home team. In 2003 I did notice the team got fatigued the second half. This team is better than last year so I think we shall survive. :D

bisonguy
September 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I believe the game will be fairly close through the middle of the third quarter. UND will then take control of the game and finish with a 14-17 point victory.

Griz0383
September 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I know nothing about UND but I believe that SUU is a good team and will give anyone in the FCS a tough game and should beat all DII schools. SUU's QB is a stud and he can beat you through the air our ground!

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The SiouxSports.com homepage has a poll asking UND fans what they think will be the toughest game of the season. The choices given are Southern Utah, Nebraska-Omaha, and South Dakota. Southern Utah is currently a distant 3rd in the poll, which tells us all we need to know about whether or not Sioux fans consider this to be the "Game of the Century". Although SUU is the only I-AA opponent on the schedule this year, they are a significant downgrade from UNI (who we beat last year) and just another non-conference game as far as I'm concerned. I expect the Sioux to win this game easily. If they don't I'll be concerned.

You might want to start being concerned. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM
You might want to start being concerned. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

As Michigan overlooked App St, UND may overlook SUU. ;)

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
UND better not overlook this one. The T-Birds are better than most think, the only problem is their offense is very one dimensional and they rely heavily on the QB. Defense they can shut down the run but...Call me a homer, but I think a big reason they kept it so close with Montana for 3 quarters was because the Griz never really tried attacking them in the air (other than little short passes) - the 2 times they did were deep Eric Allen TDs.

One thing's for sure SUU ain't no Humboldt State.

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
As Michigan overlooked App St, UND may overlook SUU. ;)

Can a D-II overlook somebody in the division ABOVE them? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I'll take SUU, straight up. xthumbsupx

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Are you kidding? :(

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Are you kidding? :(

I guess I forgot about last year...

:o

Mountain Panther
September 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I guess I forgot about last year...

:o

I guess it's harder for me to forget about than others on here xrolleyesx

DuckDuckGriz
September 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I guess it's harder for me to forget about than others on here xrolleyesx

Try seeing the NDSU logo at the top of the board all month xoopsx

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I know nothing about UND but I believe that SUU is a good team and will give anyone in the FCS a tough game and should beat all DII schools. SUU's QB is a stud and he can beat you through the air our ground!

With that blatant disrespect you just showed for D2, I hope you aren't one of those guys who always cries foul when I-AA gets disrespected by the major national media outlets. That would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
With that blatant disrespect you just showed for D2, I hope you aren't one of those guys who always cries foul when I-AA gets disrespected by the major national media outlets. That would be like the pot calling the kettle black.

I think what he meant was they are better than expected and should have the talent but I know you guys are a powerhouse and could see you taking that game. I will be very impressed if it's by two or three touchdowns.

Hansel
September 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
toss-up IMHO

Gil Dobie
September 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Can a D-II overlook somebody in the division ABOVE them? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Yes they could. xnodx xnodx xnodx

DaveK
September 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Could App. State overlook Akron?

dakotadan
September 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
toss-up IMHO

I think I have to agree. I really just can't decide how I think this game is going to go. I will not be surprised by anything really. From what I've read, it sounds like the biggest question mark is if our young D will be able to control SUU's quarterback.

But I sure know who I want to win. xthumbsupx

pcola
September 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Aren't there any SUU fans on this board?

Nice article in todays GF Herald about SUU has the toughest schedule in FCS this year. (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=49262&section=sports)
Southern Utah University has the most demanding schedule in NCAA Division I FCS football.

There should be no argument about that fact.

Southern Utah coach Wes Meier, however, isn't making any excuses. Instead, he's trying to make the most of the situation.

“We look at our schedule as a challenge,” Meier said. “We want to stay positive about it. We look at it as an opportunity instead of drudgery.”

Southern Utah's schedule features games against nine teams that were ranked in the FCS top 25 preseason poll, including five against teams ranked in the top 10. Again, Meier isn't asking for sympathy.

Go Sioux!!

pcola
September 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Sue 30
'Birds 10

xnodx
Looks like you were the closest Cap'n.

UND blew a 37-0 lead and won 37-10.xlolx

Go Sioux !!!

T-Dog
September 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The Southern Utah tour of death continues as scheduled.

Griz0383
September 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Once again I prove to all FCS fans that I don't know crap about football! Well done NDU and next year the west will have another powerhouse team to keep those eastern teams honest!!!!

bincitysioux
September 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
The Southern Utah tour of death continues as scheduled.

I know funny. That was funny. xlolx xnodx

Sioux Army
September 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Once again I prove to all FCS fans that I don't know crap about football! Well done NDU and next year the west will have another powerhouse team to keep those eastern teams honest!!!!

This is my first post on this bored but i had to respond to this awesome relization, at first i thought this guy was a D** but then he comes back with this retort, just f** awesome. xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
September 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats UND xthumbsupx

Romped SUU as expected. Lennon is a good coach.

pcola
September 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
It sounds as though the Sioux impressed the media in Cedar City."A Complete Meltdown (http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070909/SPORTS/709090315/1006)
SUU (0-2) was completely dismantled by the Fighting Sioux, falling to Division II's No. 3-ranked team 37-10 at Eccles Coliseum on Saturday night.

"It was a complete meltdown," said T-Bird offensive lineman Matt Roan. "It seemed like people were coming from everywhere. It was like they were coming from the ground. They showed up everywhere."

North Dakota (2-0) racked up 550 yards of offense against SUU, more than double the 242 yards the T-Birds gained. Sophomore Ryan Chappell (138 yards, two touchdowns) led a talented Fighting Sioux backfield to 322 yards rushing. North Dakota averaged 6.4 yards a carry against SUU, controlling the clock and the game.

GO SIOUX!

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM
i thought this guy was a D** xthumbsupx

ISN'T DICK....SPELLED........D***........AWK!