PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-after week 1

JALMOND
September 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Very few surprises in the Big Sky in the first weekend of play. Teams that were supposed to win won and the teams that were supposed to lose lost. With that in mind, this week's power ratings, as compiled by myself. All are my own opinion and all open to discussion. This week (last week).

1. Montana (1)---The Griz appeared a little shaky at first against Southern Utah, but a couple late scores made the final a little bit more realistic. Results from other games moved the Griz clearly in front and this week's game at home against DII Fort Lewis should only pad that cushion.

2. Northern Arizona (4)---OK maybe a stretch considering the win came at the hands of DII Western New Mexico, but they were the only team to win out of the three headed monster emerging behind the Grizzlies. Jacks step up to FBS by heading down to Tucson and playing Arizona.

3. Montana State (3)---For a brief moment, the Cats had visions of Appalachian State dancing in their heads as they led #25 Texas A&M 7-0 very early in the game. Then the Aggies resumed control and the Cats fell. Still, a good showing by the team and the new coach and the FBS loss did not hurt them. An off week awaits the team before DII Dixie State.

4. Portland State (2)---Somehow the run and shoot should generate more points than 4 field goals, especially when the Vikings were in the red zone seven times and came away with no touchdowns, even against a top FCS team like McNeese State. This week another team smarting after a tough loss comes to Portland in the form of UC-Davis. Will Glanville and Co. have the run and shoot running like a Porsche, or will it still be like your grandpa's '52 Chevy in the garage?

5. Eastern Washington (5)---Big win for the Eagles over NAIA Montana Western, but then again it should be. An off week awaits, followed by a visit by UC-Davis.

6. Weber State (6)---Either Boise State is really good or Weber State is really bad. My assumption is that Boise is really good, which means the Wildcats are not that bad. A week to recuperate and then its off to San Luis Obispo for a game against Cal Poly.

7. Idaho State (7)---An off week gives the Bengals an extra week of practice before their home opener this week against NAIA Southern Oregon. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (and nothing lost).

8. Sacramento State (9)---Holding FBS Fresno State to 28 points has to be an eye opener for the Hornets. An off week this week means they will have an extra week to work on the offense as the defense seems to be clicking.

9 Northern Colorado (8)---Not that the Bears are this bad, but losing to Hawaii 63-6 is not a good way to begin the year, even if its only your second season. Chadron State comes to Greeley this weekend looking to knock off another Big Sky member in two years. Here's hoping the Bears learned something on the Islands.

Five games this week in the Big Sky and none are conference games. Right now, I'd say Montana is clearly out in front with 2-4 virtually a dead heat. I don't think much will clear up behind the Griz until conference play begins.

Green Cookie Monster
September 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Sac held Fresno to 24.

JALMOND
September 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Sac held Fresno to 24.

Oops sorry. Looks even better for the Hornet defense.

Peems
September 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
i'd put the bobcats two. Even though they lost 38-7 they still looked good, and didn't have trouble moving the ball. Who knows about NAU since they played a D2 school. It will take a few more weeks in my opinion before we know much about any of the schools.

Proud Griz Man
September 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
UC Davis versus Portland St.? xchinscratchx

SactoHornetFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Jalmond, while I respect that you take the time to spell out predictions and reviews, I think you are off your rocker if you still have us eighth after not turning the ball over on offense and starting a freshman qb with no practically no offense returners against a FBS team.

AZGrizFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Jalmond, while I respect that you take the time to spell out predictions and reviews, I think you are off your rocker if you still have us eighth after not turning the ball over on offense and starting a freshman qb with no practically no offense returners against a FBS team.

That's why it's called "discussion". JALMOND is entitled to his opinion (as off the rocker as it might be), just as you are entitled to yours.

BTW, I agree. I'd have Sac State 6th.

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
i'd put the bobcats two. Even though they lost 38-7 they still looked good, and didn't have trouble moving the ball. Who knows about NAU since they played a D2 school. It will take a few more weeks in my opinion before we know much about any of the schools.

I Agree, 403 yards on a I-A Big XII team in front of 79,000+. Coaching staff looked good, that was one of the big questions going into the game.

Also how can Griz game with Fort Lewis "pad" your lead? you are expected to win very big. If you win by less than 30 it could hurt you?

grzftbl
September 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I Agree, 403 yards on a I-A Big XII team in front of 79,000+. Coaching staff looked good, that was one of the big questions going into the game.

Also how can Griz game with Fort Lewis "pad" your lead? you are expected to win very big. If you win by less than 30 it could hurt you?

So how bad do you need to beat Dixie State by in order not to drop?xwhistlex

CrazyCat
September 4th, 2007, 11:39 AM

1 xsmiley_wix

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM

I agree we need to win big, But you shouldnt expect it to be as big as your win.

We are ranked #21 you are ranked #3, A #3 team should beat a D2 team big. I would expect that if MSU (#21) dosent win by 20 it could hurt us in the polls.

CopperCat
September 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I would also be putting MSU at #2. NAU pounding WNM doesn't really prove much. THIS week we will see some true character come out when they get a test from Airizona.

Outgaining a Big 12 school (and top 25 no less) is a pretty big accomplishment. That game was not as one-sided as the score indicated. MSU had plenty of chances to put the points on the board, but the kicker had his head somewhere else and shanked 3 FG's (I think there was a dropped TD pass as well). MSU is #2, followed by NAU at #3, and PSU #4.

Walkon79
September 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM

31!xsmiley_wix

already123
September 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I would put MSU at 2 and NAU at 3. You guys are right, NAU has to prove itself a bit more before we give them too much props. However, I would say that if NAU has a good to great showing against UofA (win or close loss) NAU ties with MSU or moves up IMO...

cats2506
September 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I would put MSU at 2 and NAU at 3. You guys are right, NAU has to prove itself a bit more before we give them too much props. However, I would say that if NAU has a good to great showing against UofA (win or close loss) NAU ties with MSU or moves up IMO...

I'll give you that, If you put in a good showing against UA then it is close.

CopperCat
September 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM

The thing to consider here is that A&M was ranked in the top 25. UofA is probably one of the weaker teams out west as far as big name BCS teams go, but if NAU gives them a good scare, who knows. It might just change my mind.

Peems
September 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I agree we need to win big, But you shouldnt expect it to be as big as your win.

We are ranked #21 you are ranked #3, A #3 team should beat a D2 team big. I would expect that if MSU (#21) dosent win by 20 it could hurt us in the polls.

We're 2nd:D;)

cats2506
September 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
We're 2nd:D;)

sportsnetwork (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm)

Yer turd xnodx

mvemjsunpx
September 5th, 2007, 01:37 AM

I should hope the Bobcats beat Dixie State by more than 20.

They went 1-10 last year & just became a 4 year school within the last decade.

cats2506
September 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I should hope the Bobcats beat Dixie State by more than 20.

They went 1-10 last year & just became a 4 year school within the last decade.

Hey, they won a game last week, beat sombody 37-7.

But I still agree with you

mvemjsunpx
September 5th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Yeah, Dixie State's results this year are a little confusing.

They beat Adams State, who killed them last year.
However, in their first game, they got blown out by Mesa State, the only team to lose to Dixie last year.

BisonBacker
September 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM
UC Davis versus Portland St.? xchinscratchx

This is the game that intrigues me. Two teams coming off disappointing weeks especially UCDavis. This ones a toss up. If UCDavis QB can gel with his offense then I give them the edge. PSU players don't seem from the accounts I've read to have th speed for the offense that Glanville wants to run.

cats2506
September 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
This is the game that intrigues me. Two teams coming off disappointing weeks especially UCDavis. This ones a toss up. If UCDavis QB can gel with his offense then I give them the edge. PSU players don't seem from the accounts I've read to have th speed for the offense that Glanville wants to run.

PSU lost their QB and a FB for the season in their game with McNeese. I think the still have a good QB in White and the r&s souldent use a fb too much. I hate to see the injury problems and they should be ok. Still, losing depth hurts.

IMO UC Davis will win, I think the game they lost was kind of a rilavery game, most of us know anything can and does happen in them.

already123
September 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
eh...

CopperCat
September 5th, 2007, 11:26 PM
PSU lost their QB and a FB for the season in their game with McNeese. I think the still have a good QB in White and the r&s souldent use a fb too much. I hate to see the injury problems and they should be ok. Still, losing depth hurts.

IMO UC Davis will win, I think the game they lost was kind of a rilavery game, most of us know anything can and does happen in them.

I didn't hear anything about this. It is true? That really sucks for PSU losing two guys for the season right off the bat.

appfan2008
September 5th, 2007, 11:42 PM
with nau being that good... asu's matchup with them next week should be quite exciting

JALMOND
September 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Glad to see we're getting into some great discussions. That's why I do this. What I post is just my own opinions. Just like belly buttons, everyone has one (OK, I modified the adage so I could post it here without the fear of getting a strike).

A little clarity. At the start of the season, I had PSU, MSU and NAU pretty clustered together. I gave the edge to the Vikings by having to play both MSU and NAU at home. After the first week, NAU was the only winner, albeit against DII. MSU lost to FBS, which was better than PSU's loss to FCS (even if it was a Top 10 team). I still think of the three as pretty close together, just the order has changed a bit. Still, just my opinon.

appfan2008
September 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
it should be interesting to see who emerges out of those three... imo msu will followed by psu and then nau
i think psu will be even better next year

CopperCat
September 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Something that has just occured to me is that PSU had plenty of time to get into their offensive system, while MSU had fall camp, and that was it. MSU was consistent in getting up and down the field (400+ yards against a big and fast FBS defense) while PSU struggled to get the offense going. So what explains the difference? I would certainly think that PSU would have enough time to get acquainted with the system to make it work better than it did in their first game.