PDA

View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 12, Fall 2021

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 12:34 PM
It is the last weekend before the committee imparts its justice on the field. For some, it is time to hold serve. For others, this weekend will determine theirs and others’ fates. Enjoy!

#2 Montana State @ #9 Montana - Brawl of the Wild featuring two top 10s.

#12 South Dakota @ #4 North Dakota State - Bison need good showing (and help) if they want to stay in Fargo this December.

#20 Mercer @ #7 East Tennessee State - SoCon title. Enough said.

#13 Sac State @ #10 UC Davis - A Bobcat slip-up, and the Hornets are lurking.

#32 North Dakota @ #11 South Dakota State - Fighting for an at-large?

#24 Monmouth @ #14 Kennesaw State - Taking away an at-large?

Alcorn State @ #20 Jackson State - Last “hurdle” for Deion and a perfect conference regular season.

#28 Harvard @ Yale - The Game.

Lafayette @ Lehigh - The Rivalry.

Other - A few other matchups with at-large implications (vote here if this is your GOTW and tell us who ya' got.)

Catbooster
November 18th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Lots of good games. Some affect the seedings, some affect which teams make the field and a few don't have any effect on the playoffs but are big traditional rivalries.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 11:38 AM
OTHERS:

RHODE ISLAND @ ELON
RICHMOND @ WM & MARY

CHIP72
November 18th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Even as someone who follows both Lehigh and Lafayette, I have to go with the Brawl of the Wild in this poll.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Even as someone who follows both Lehigh and Lafayette, I have to go with the Brawl of the Wild in this poll.

It's one of the biggest rivalry games in FCS in any season. When both teams are in the top 10 though...that's pretty huge. Wa-Griz is going to be jumping on Saturday.

ysubigred
November 18th, 2021, 02:39 PM
The M & Mst game is a doosie!! xthumbsupx

crusader11
November 18th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion Kennesaw makes it as an at-large if they were to lose to Monmouth?

They'd have eight D1 wins with their best win coming against 5-win Jacksonville State. Unfortunately for them, in most years a win over Wofford would be considered a good OOC win, but the Terriers aren't helping matters this year with being downright awful.

7-4 W&M looks more attractive than 9-2 Kennesaw, IMO.

Let's remember 10-1 Lehigh missed the playoffs in 2012 despite having wins over Liberty, Princeton, and Monmouth who were all .500 or above. The PL sucked that year outside of Lehigh and Colgate, so conference wins didn't do much for Lehigh.

MUHAWKS
November 18th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion Kennesaw makes it as an at-large if they were to lose to Monmouth?

They'd have eight D1 wins with their best win coming against 5-win Jacksonville State. Unfortunately for them, in most years a win over Wofford would be considered a good OOC win, but the Terriers aren't helping matters this year with being downright awful.

Let's remember 10-1 Lehigh missed the playoffs in 2012 despite having wins over Liberty, Princeton, and Monmouth who were all .500 or above. The PL sucked that year outside of Lehigh and Colgate, so conference wins didn't do much for Lehigh.

I think it is a foregone conclusion to most of us only b/c of what we think the committee thinks not what we all think. 9-2 with an FBS loss, loss to playoff team/conference winner and a win against an AT THE TIME ranked, plus handling other business Plus top 7-20 ranking all year PLUS a history of playing with and beating some good teams, I think it would come as a major surprise if they did not make it as an at large with a loss. Not their fault Jax State ended up being whatever..I say they are in regardless.

crusader11
November 18th, 2021, 03:21 PM
All good points, HAWKS.

To play devil's advocate, Lehigh advanced to the quarterfinals in 2010 and 2011 and were ranked between #16 and #8 all year, yet were still left out.

I think they probably make it as an at large, but they're not a lock.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2021, 03:32 PM

Just my opinion but I think KSU would be in even with a loss. They have decent (but not great) wins over Jacksonville St and NC A&T and like MUHAWKS said no bad losses. I think that with their 9-2 record would be enough to get them in. W&M has a great win over Villanova and a decent win over Elon but some questionable losses to teams that won't be in the playoffs in Maine and Delaware. That along with one fewer D1 win keeps KSU in front of them I'd say.

Also in 2012 there only 20 total teams and 10 at-large in the playoffs. With 13 at-large and 24 total teams in the playoffs now KSU has some extra avenues to the playoffs that Lehigh didn't have in 2012.

crusader11
November 18th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah big difference with the expansion. Imagine Lehigh was one of the last out but would’ve made it with 24.

TennBison
November 18th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Lots of big games this week with playoff and seeding implications, and interesting twists. But hard not to pick the Montana-Montana St game just for it's history.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2021, 07:04 AM

It should be noted the playoff field was only 20 teams in 2012. Lehigh would have been a playoff team in a 24 team field.

EDIT: My bad, I didn’t read the posts after the one quoted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2021, 07:39 AM
W&M has a great win over Villanova and a decent win over Elon How is a win over Elon considered a “decent win?”

Elon lost to Wofford, who went 0-8 in the SoCon and is 1-9 Overall. Mercer, Chattanooga, Furman, and WCU all beat the rat dog shiite out of Wofford…by an avg margin of 3 scores.

Yep, Wofford’s ONLY win was over Elon. In fact, Elon has been the only Team Wofford has defeated in their most recent 17 scheduled games…18, after they lose to UNC tomorrow!

Elon may very well finish in 3rd place in the CAA, but it seems fairly certain they would be winless & in last place in the SoCon.

CAA has 2 Teams.