23: Princeton Tigers
24: Holy Cross Crusaders
25: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

POD Knows

The Most Significant Win: South Dakota Coyotes
The Most Significant Loss: South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 11:43 AM
This week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-11-top-25-results-3/

I thought it was interesting to see Missouri St leapfrog Montana (barely) for that coveted #8 spot at the bottom of the seed line but the Griz will have a chance to get back in front this week. I still think Sac St is underrated at #13. I also think Harvard needs a longer look seeing as how Holy Cross, who Harvard dominated, is the consensus #25 and Princeton, who Harvard should've beaten if not for a botched call in OT, is the consensus #23.

In addition to the highlighted point totals in the first post and Missouri St barely edging Montana you can see some razor thin margins for JMU over NDSU for #3 and for SLU over SIU for #15. There's a big drop off in points after UIW at #18 so I'd tend to think every team above that is probably safely in the playoffs.

crusader11
November 15th, 2021, 11:49 AM
Agree with that, Chaos. Harvard is a top 25 in my eyes.

By similar logic, Holy Cross should be above Monmouth. Not only does HC have a better record (8-2 vs. 7-3), but they throttled Monmouth on the road.

Christiank22
November 15th, 2021, 11:49 AM
So sweet seeing all the reactionary sdsu rankings get **** on. Such a dumb move to put them so high last week anyway.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 11:50 AM
My submission this week:

1: Sam Houston Bearkats
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: North Dakota State Bison
4: James Madison Dukes
5: Eastern Washington Eagles
6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Missouri State Bears
8: UC Davis Aggies
9: Sac State Hornets
10: Southern Illinois Salukis
11: Montana Grizzlies
12: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
13: South Dakota Coyotes
14: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
15: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
16: Kennesaw State Owls
17: Incarnate Word Cardinals
18: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
19: Mercer Bears
20: Dartmouth Big Green
21: Jackson State Tigers
22: Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks
23: Chattanooga Mocs
24: Harvard Crimson
25: Holy Cross Crusaders

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Agree with that, Chaos. Harvard is a top 25 in my eyes.

By similar logic, Holy Cross should be above Monmouth. Not only does HC have a better record (8-2 vs. 7-3), but they throttled Monmouth on the road.
Yeah, that's another good point. Kind of surprising to see Monmouth go from 10 total points in the week 6 poll all the way to 100+ and into the top 25 for beating teams with a combined record of 13-26.

MUHAWKS
November 15th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that's another good point. Kind of surprising to see Monmouth go from 10 total points in the week 6 poll all the way to 100+ and into the top 25 for beating teams with a combined record of 13-26.

could be b/c we are beating them with way more authority than Kennesaw who is ranked relatively high- That and the 3 pt loss to Princeton maybe makes some voters give the benefit of the doubt that THIS Monmouth team (last 5 weeks) is more the real team than the one who did not show up and got smoked by HC- But at this point for us it does not even matter. I would care where we are in polls if had a shot at an at large but we do not, so....

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 12:28 PM
This week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-11-top-25-results-3/

I thought it was interesting to see Missouri St leapfrog Montana (barely) for that coveted #8 spot at the bottom of the seed line but the Griz will have a chance to get back in front this week. I still think Sac St is underrated at #13. I also think Harvard needs a longer look seeing as how Holy Cross, who Harvard dominated, is the consensus #25 and Princeton, who Harvard should've beaten if not for a botched call in OT, is the consensus #23.

In addition to the highlighted point totals in the first post and Missouri St barely edging Montana you can see some razor thin margins for JMU over NDSU for #3 and for SLU over SIU for #15. There's a big drop off in points after UIW at #18 so I'd tend to think every team above that is probably safely in the playoffs.

Good call on Harvard!

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 12:33 PM
3: James Madison Dukes
4: North Dakota State Bison
6: Missouri State Bears
7: Villanova Wildcats
8: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
9: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
10: Sac State Hornets
11: Montana Grizzlies
12: South Dakota Coyotes
13: Incarnate Word Cardinals
14: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
15: UC Davis Aggies
16: Southern Illinois Salukis
17: Dartmouth Big Green
18: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
19: Kennesaw State Owls
20: Harvard Crimson
21: Princeton Tigers
22: Monmouth Hawks
23: Holy Cross Crusaders
24: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
25: Mercer Bears

caribbeanhen

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Hello Preferred Walk-On,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 11/14/2021 18:05:12

Your vote is listed below.

5: Missouri State Bears
6: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
7: Sac State Hornets
8: Eastern Washington Eagles
9: Kennesaw State Owls
11: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
14: Montana Grizzlies
15: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
16: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
17: UC Davis Aggies
18: Villanova Wildcats
19: Dartmouth Big Green
20: Mercer Bears
21: Jackson State Tigers
22: Harvard Crimson
24: Northern Iowa Panthers
25: Princeton Tigers

Preferred Walk-On

The Most Significant Win: Mercer Bears
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2021, 12:48 PM
3: Villanova Wildcats
5: James Madison Dukes
6: Eastern Washington Eagles
7: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
8: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
9: Montana Grizzlies
10: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
11: Missouri State Bears
12: Kennesaw State Owls
13: South Dakota Coyotes
14: Incarnate Word Cardinals
15: Sac State Hornets
16: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
17: Southern Illinois Salukis
18: Dartmouth Big Green
19: Jackson State Tigers
20: Harvard Crimson
21: UC Davis Aggies
22: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
24: Mercer Bears
25: Princeton Tigers

The Most Significant Loss: Virginia Military Institute Keydets
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

OhioHen
November 15th, 2021, 12:59 PM
That's more about Monmouth winning while teams ahead of them lost. The Hawks have finally move back into my top 25 this week - they've been moving up within my top 40 every week because of the teams around/above them not performing.

100 extra points is only 2 spots higher per voter times 50 voters. 2 spots higher is "out of poll" to #24.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 01:16 PM
That's more about Monmouth winning while teams ahead of them lost. The Hawks have finally move back into my top 25 this week - they've been moving up within my top 40 every week because of the teams around/above them not performing.

100 extra points is only 2 spots higher per voter times 50 voters. 2 spots higher is "out of poll" to #24.
That's true... and Monmouth was ahead of Holy Cross in the ORV these last few weeks as well but I get the feeling voters are forgetting that Holy Cross trucked Monmouth on the road earlier this year (and that Harvard trucked Holy Cross on the road as well).

MSUDuo
November 15th, 2021, 01:28 PM
This could all blow up in a few weeks, but holy hell what fun these 2 years have been.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 01:41 PM
This could all blow up in a few weeks, but holy hell what fun these 2 years have been.
This week is the highest ranking for Missouri St in the history of the AGS Poll (which goes back to 2004). xbeerchugx

EDIT: ETSU and Jackson St also set a program all-time record highs in the AGS Poll this week at #7 and #20, respectively.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Chattanooga lost on the road to a ranked team where they gave up only 163 yards of offense, and for that they drop 7 spots out of the poll?? That's bananas.

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Chattanooga lost on the road to a ranked team where they gave up only 163 yards of offense, and for that they drop 7 spots out of the poll?? That's bananas.

I don't know about "bananas"?

Commit five turnovers and only score 6 pt to the 24th ranked team. It doesn't take much to drop out of the poll when we are talking about only receiving 6 points per #19 vote. Teams just behind them in the rankings won and did so (for the most part) in comfortable fashion.

I might go with "That's unfortunate."

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 02:57 PM

I'll bet. Enjoy it!

nodak651
November 15th, 2021, 03:22 PM

Pretty sure UND dropped out of the poll after losing by 3 to current number 16 SIU (at the time like top 5), after our back up kicker missed 3 short field goals. And that's the worst loss. Chatty dropping seems fair to me.

ElCid
November 15th, 2021, 04:03 PM
What I think is interesting is that we only got 32 teams in the poll. Not sure how many are hidden due to onesies and twosies which aren't shown normally, but still we normally have a full docket or at least closer to 40. It's been like this for the last few weeks.

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 04:20 PM
What I think is interesting is that we only got 32 teams in the poll. Not sure how many are hidden due to onesies and twosies which aren't shown normally, but still we normally have a full docket or at least closer to 40. It's been like this for the last few weeks.

We do only have about one-half to two-thirds the voters (~50) we might have in a normal year (~80-90). Perhaps with less voters, there is less likelihood for some teams to make the 5 vote threshold. That said, last spring there were just a bit fewer regular voters (~40), and we still had about 36-38 teams that had at least 5 votes; however, there were also only about 80 teams to choose from and teams often missed a game or two making them even harder to evaluate, so who knows?

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. Sam Houston St. (1)
2. Montana St. (2)
3. North Dakota St. (3)
4. Missouri St. (4)
5. Villanova (5)
6. Eastern Washington (16)
7. James Madison (8)
8. Dartmouth (9)
9. Princeton (12)
10. Southern Illinois (11)
11. Harvard (13)
12. East Tennessee St. (6)
13. Sacramento St. (14)
14. South Dakota (25)
15. Incarnate Word (17)
16. South Dakota St. (7)
17. Southeastern Louisiana (18)
18. Kennesaw St. (19)
19. Holy Cross (NR)
20. Tennessee-Martin (20)
21. Montana (21)
22. Jackson St. (24)
23. Mercer (NR)
24. Florida A&M (NR)
25. UC Davis (15)

Dropped - Northern Iowa (10), VMI (22), Tennessee-Chattanooga (23)

W - Eastern Washington
L - VMI

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Only two teams were left off with a combined 4 pts. I think it was Maine and Florida A&M.

Since we have less than 40 teams if you guys want I will list all once we get to less than 40? Just seems sort of unnecessary when we have more than 40 to put the work in on 1's and 2's listing them out.

NY Crusader 2010
November 15th, 2021, 10:28 PM
I'm guessing everyone that ranked Monmouth ahead of HC forgot that we played each other. At their place. And Holy Cross won 45-15. Also common opponent Fordham -- Monmouth beat them in West Long Branch by under a score. We beat Fordham by 28 in The Bronx.

But I'll take getting back in the Top 25.

ElCid
November 15th, 2021, 10:53 PM
I'm guessing everyone that ranked Monmouth ahead of HC forgot that we played each other. At their place. And Holy Cross won 45-15. Also common opponent Fordham -- Monmouth beat them in West Long Branch by under a score. We beat Fordham by 28 in The Bronx.

I think people were poisoned by the Merrimack game. Takes a bit to flush it from the system. Right or wrong, I think that was it.

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2021, 02:07 AM
Holy Cross has a better resume than Monmouth even without the H2H factor, IMO.

Of course, this doesn't really matter since they won't be competing with each other for an at-large anyway.

MUHAWKS
November 16th, 2021, 08:02 AM

We played Fordham @ their place but same difference.. Def hard to make an argument that we should be ranked above you and it is not just AGS but the the 2 major polls as well. If the shoe were on other foot I would think the same thing as you. I still sort of think the same thing and it is my team getting the benefit.

I think possibly this could be the same thing I always get upset about and it is "perception"-- To wit, even though The Big South is still not "up" based on MU performance against Sam in the playoffs we finally got "boosted" a bit in the eyes of perception. We were ranked as high as 11th in the pre season so even though you blew our doors off, we are 5-1 since than with a last second loss to a team ranked well above us both, and that team beat a team that blew you guys out and won much easier against Yale then you. On top of that we are blowing teams out while scoring tons of points and this may be reaching but since Kennesaw has been ranked fairly high in all polls all year maybe people are looking at us beating the same teams with ease that they need last minute heroics to beat. Again, I agree we should not be ranked above you, just giving some possible reasons as to why. I do not say the following as an excuse but the team HC beat is NOT the real Monmouth team. That was like a perfect storm of us being over confident, flat and you guys playing awesome and out coaching us. Does not change anything but all I am saying is based on what we have done since, I think people chalk that up to "sh8t happens" I mean look at Tampa Bay just losing to Washington. But yes really cannot see a way to have MU ranked above you unless people look at the stuff I just mentioned and still "perceive" HC to also be sort of a good team but not top team (like us) and are just putting the team with small but still more recent overall success. It is no secret that pollsters still weight recent years even though I think that is stupid- 2019 we blew you out in our playoff game and last year we took the eventual champs to the last play. I think for some reason and combined with our laundry list of injuries we had early we are getting the benefit of the doubt. Not easy for either of us b/c even if we beat Kennesaw , everyone thinks Kennesaw is overrated anyway- and even though you guys are having a great year, same things holds (lose to merrimack, beat handily by Harvard and the rest of the PL is not good) so only way to really prove is win at least 2 in the playoffs for both of us..

crusader11
November 16th, 2021, 08:25 AM
Good post, MUHAWKS.

The two primary things are at play here:

1) Recency bias (Monmouth has had success the past few years...much more so than HC).
2) Patriot League, where HC plays, stinks.

My guess is that posters probably forgot HC tripled up Monmouth earlier this year. If they remembered that, I'm sure that Monmouth wouldn't have been ranked ahead of HC. In fact, I'd be curious for a poster to come forward and explain the rationale of ranking Monmouth ahead of HC if they did recall the lopsided HC win.

Gil Dobie
November 16th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Good post, MUHAWKS.

1) Recency bias (Monmouth has had success the past few years...much more so than HC).

My guess is that posters probably forgot HC tripled up Monmouth earlier this year. If they remembered that, I'm sure that Monmouth wouldn't have been ranked ahead of HC. In fact, I'd be curious for a poster to come forward and explain the rationale of ranking Monmouth ahead of HC if they did recall the lopsided HC win.

I went with FAMU, ;)

MUHAWKS
November 16th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Good post, MUHAWKS.

The depression after that game still lingers in my mind. Just an awful day! You have no idea how upset us MU fans were to see you guys go lose to merrimack - sort of just writes both of us off as "also rans"- HOWEVER you gusy did what you needed to to get back in the national convo and we have our chance next week. It is no secret that I am a fan of East Coast football and specifically teams like HC and whoever represents the NEC in a given year so I will always pull for the PL sans when it is us playing you.. I think HC can make a little noise. The coaching and defense alone should keep you in most games. The thing I am looking forward to seeing (of course all only matters if we get in) is the pairings for first rd. I thought we both got fkked last year-- sending you to SD state and us to Sam Houston meanwhile Sacred Heart went o Delaware! One of us should have got the hens.. anyway IF the east teams this year are JMU, NOVA (seeds) Davidson, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, HOLY Cross and one more CAA team- that is 5 eastern teams.. Someone is going to get screwed. Even though Sacred Heart is pretty good, that is the game I would ant rd 1 OR Davidson.. They wont match MU/HC b/f of reg season... So very good chance could be URI, HC, MU, Sscared heart and Davidson.. Maybe they would send davidson to Kennesaw (sort of close) and that leaves you guys or us against URI/Sacred heart.. I am getting way ahead of myself for Monmouth as we sitll need to win this wekeend, but I guess what I am sayin is hopefully neither of us get that crap draw like we did in the Spring.

JSUSoutherner
November 16th, 2021, 08:56 AM
FWIW we ejected Grass so we should probably go ahead and get our top 10 spot back now. :D

dewey
November 16th, 2021, 02:21 PM
Here is my top 25.

Your vote is listed below.

7: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
8: Sac State Hornets
9: Montana Grizzlies
10: UC Davis Aggies
11: Incarnate Word Cardinals
12: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
13: Missouri State Bears
14: South Dakota Coyotes
15: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
16: Southern Illinois Salukis
17: Dartmouth Big Green
18: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
19: Kennesaw State Owls
20: Mercer Bears
22: Jackson State Tigers
23: Monmouth Hawks
24: Rhode Island Rams
25: Harvard Crimson

dewey

Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
November 16th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Here's mine.

8: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
9: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
11: Sac State Hornets
13: UC Davis Aggies
15: Kennesaw State Owls
16: Montana Grizzlies
19: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
20: Jackson State Tigers
22: Holy Cross Crusaders
23: Harvard Crimson

The Most Significant Win: Eastern Washington Eagles

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Here's mine.

8: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
9: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
11: Sac State Hornets
13: UC Davis Aggies
15: Kennesaw State Owls
16: Montana Grizzlies
19: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Holy Cross Crusaders
23: Harvard Crimson

The Most Significant Win: Eastern Washington Eagles

Harvard dominated Holy Cross

38-13

Chalupa Batman
November 16th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Harvard dominated Holy Cross

38-13

Yeah I’m aware. They’re pretty close for me but we’re far enough removed from that game that it isn’t the only factor in ranking these teams.

kdinva
November 16th, 2021, 07:15 PM
2: James Madison Dukes
4: Montana State Bobcats
7: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
8: Montana Grizzlies
9: Villanova Wildcats
11: UC Davis Aggies
17: Missouri State Bears
18: Southern Illinois Salukis
21: Monmouth Hawks
22: Dartmouth Big Green
23: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
25: Rhode Island Rams

MSUDuo
November 16th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Wait, what? 🤨

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Yeah I’m aware. They’re pretty close for me but we’re far enough removed from that game that it isn’t the only factor in ranking these teams.

ugh, ok I guess a complete butt whipping domination got overwhelmed by your other factors, just aint necessary

Chalupa Batman
November 16th, 2021, 08:00 PM
ugh, ok I guess a complete butt whipping domination got overwhelmed by your other factors, just aint necessary

I don’t think we’d get the same result if they played again. I could be wrong but that’s the opinion I have. If it just happened the last couple weeks I’d have them ranked differently. Not much different than most people having JMU ranked ahead of Villanova despite them having essentially the same FCS record and Nova winning H2H.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 08:11 PM
I don’t think we’d get the same result if they played again. I could be wrong but that’s the opinion I have. If it just happened the last couple weeks I’d have them ranked differently. Not much different than most people having JMU ranked ahead of Villanova despite them having essentially the same FCS record and Nova winning H2H.

the anti Ivy bias is strong

So why is Jackson State ranked over Dartmouth ?

just curious

Chalupa Batman
November 16th, 2021, 08:25 PM
the anti Ivy bias is strong

So why is Jackson State ranked over Dartmouth ?

just curious

Check my poll again

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Check my poll again

my bad, so why is Jackson State ranked over Princeton?

I believe Dartmouth would beat UC Davis, less impressed with them each week

POD Knows
November 16th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Because they are a better football team. I have watched these Ivy’s, not impressed. Maybe they should play somebody outside or ****ty little teams from the NE and their own conference

I have ranked some IVYS in my poll. Mainly because from 20 and down this year is mostly pretty average.

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Princeton barely beat a good-but-certainly-not world-beater Monmouth team. Dartmouth handily beat the worst UNH team since Ricky Santos was riding the pine in the early 2000's. Yale lost to one of the 3 worst FBS teams in the country (UCONN).

Harvard now probably has the most impressive OOC performance with the dominant win at Holy Cross in October. But Harvard lost to Dartmouth and Princeton.

Hence why I tend to agree with POD and don't see the reason any Ivy should be ranked above 20 right now.

Mind you, if Dartmouth hypothetically beat Holy Cross in the playoffs and then upset Villanova in the 2nd round, there'd be reason to talk. But...that isn't going to take place.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Because they are a better football team. I have watched these Ivy’s, not impressed. Maybe they should play somebody outside or ****ty little teams from the NE and their own conference

I have ranked some IVYS in my poll. Mainly because from 20 and down this year is mostly pretty average.

and Jackson State has played who?

and what has the SWAC done in OOC play?

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 08:52 PM
Princeton barely beat a good-but-certainly-not world-beater Monmouth team. Dartmouth handily beat the worst UNH team since Ricky Santos was riding the pine in the early 2000's. Yale lost to one of the 3 worst FBS teams in the country (UCONN).

Harvard now probably has the most impressive OOC performance with the dominant win at Holy Cross in October. But Harvard lost to Dartmouth and Princeton.

Hence why I tend to agree with POD and don't see the reason any Ivy should be ranked above 20 right now.

Mind you, if Dartmouth hypothetically beat Holy Cross in the playoffs and then upset Villanova in the 2nd round, there'd be reason to talk. But...that isn't going to take place.

So you’re saying the Ivies won all those games

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 08:56 PM
So you’re saying the Ivies won all those games

Yes. And I forgot to mention that Dartmouth boat raced the likely NEC champ Sacred Heart.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2021, 08:56 PM

I don’t think this Princeton team is as good as the Princeton team was a couple years back. I watch Ivy football. I watched the multiple overtime game a few weeks back. I thought both teams looked bad and they didn’t seem to be that well coached. I would love for these guys to go outside their cloistered football world but they won’t.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2021, 08:57 PM
and Jackson State has played who?

and what has the SWAC done in OOC play?
Nobody. Just like the Ivy’s.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Nobody. Just like the Ivy’s.

exactly

now back to the question on Jackson State, with that pathetic schedule I just don’t see a sound reason to have them ranked other than just because

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 09:09 PM
I guess "Prime Time" is worth 3 or 4 slots in a Top 25 pol.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 09:10 PM
Yes. And I forgot to mention that Dartmouth boat raced the likely NEC champ Sacred Heart.

Dartmouth, if not for the snobbery, would bewilder the FCS community if only they would set them free

And yes POD, Princeton was better in 2018/19 than this year

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 09:14 PM
I think Princeton would have had a fighting chance to make it to the FCS semis in 2018. Objectively, I think they were at least as good as Colgate that year.

caribbeanhen

I think that’s it, would be great to see the Ivies get plugged in with SWAC on some type of post season playoff

Top 4 Ivies vs top 4 SWAC

I would love it

or at least one game

POD Knows
exactly

now back to the question on Jackson State, with that pathetic schedule I just don’t see a sound reason to have them ranked other than just because
They are undefeated in FCS, weak ****ty teams but undefeated. Who has SHSU beat. I get that they are the defending champ but there schedule is full of stiffs as well.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2021, 09:16 PM
I think Princeton would have had a fighting chance to make it to the FCS semis in 2018. Objectively, I think they were at least as good as Colgate that year.
I agree. That was a good football team. They passed the eye test. Good QB and pretty solid elsewhere. These Ivy’s this year look like a big step back IMNHO.

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 09:18 PM
They are undefeated in FCS, weak ****ty teams but undefeated. Who has SHSU beat. I get that they are the defending champ but there schedule is full of stiffs as well.

they beat the Bison back a few months ago

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 09:19 PM
I agree. That was a good football team. They passed the eye test. Good QB and pretty solid elsewhere. These Ivy’s this year look like a big step back IMNHO.

Lol. Tell me you weren’t dogging Princeton hard a few years ago

NY Crusader 2010
November 16th, 2021, 09:21 PM

Talent-wise, I don't necessarily think so. I just don't see a reason any should definitively be ranked higher than 20. There just isn't any evidence -- unless Holy Cross shocks the world and wins at least 2 playoff games. I could argue that Dartmouth, Princeton and Harvard should all be bunched up between 20 and 25. Assuming it's believed that Holy Cross and Monmouth are Top 25 teams.

Dartmouth also lost 16-0 to Columbia at home on a Friday night. Would any of the Top 15 teams in FCS teams have had that happen? Think for a minute.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2021, 09:21 PM
they beat the Bison back a few months ago
So did the Coyotes back in 2015 in Fargo. Hell. The Bison lost to freaking Indiana State during the natty run and the loss occurred in Fargo

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2021, 09:26 PM
So did the Coyotes back in 2015 in Fargo. Hell. The Bison lost to freaking Indiana State during the natty run and the loss occurred in Fargo

You play South Dakota this Saturday right? Better be careful with that scrappy team, I’m liking South Dakota right now

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 07:20 AM

Sacred Heart lost to a 2 win Howard, even Delaware St beat Howard this year. Jay Walker might be hiding this year.

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 07:21 AM
You play South Dakota this Saturday right? Better be careful with that scrappy team, I’m liking South Dakota right now

Very possible, it won't be an easy game to win.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2021, 08:18 AM
Very possible, it won't be an easy game to win.
Bison are busting out the yellow jerseys (I think) and harvest helmets for the first time in two years (undefeated in both). It's in the bag! ;)

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Sacred Heart lost to a 2 win Howard, even Delaware St beat Howard this year. Jay Walker might be hiding this year.

....WELL....AS POD POINTS OUT IN POST #61.......EVERAH-ONE HAS UH SKELETON.......AWK!

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Lol. Tell me you weren’t dogging Princeton hard a few years ago
Yea I dogged them. You guys were saying they were the second coming a couple games into the season. They were a good football team but not great. Again. We have no real way to see how good they REALLY are.

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 08:44 AM
So am I. I picked them.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2021, 08:59 AM

I took a look at Jackson State vs Southern game

a few observations

It was really good to see a packed house of enthusiastic football fans watching an FCS game, and cheering too. You won’t see this in the northeast where FCS football is on life support

Southern really looked like the better Football team until crunch time or when things counted, and that’s when quarterback Sanders took over the game, he made some great throws and basically won that game by himself. I can see Jackson State being ranked just because of him.

I didn’t know why Coach Sanders was on the sidelines in a motorized wheelchair, Apparently he had foot surgery back in September and has had some complications. Get well coach and give the Ivies a call.

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 09:50 AM
....WELL....AS POD POINTS OUT IN POST #61.......EVERAH-ONE HAS UH SKELETON.......AWK!

That Indiana St team was good, losing a close one to Indiana, and 2 FCS playoff teams, finishing 7-4. Unlike a 2 win Howard.

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 09:59 AM
That Indiana St team was good, losing a close one to Indiana, and 2 FCS playoff teams, finishing 7-4. Unlike a 2 win Howard.
Yea. ISUb was decent that year. Two pick 6’s cost us the game.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 10:01 AM

.....UC DAVIS....IDAHO STATE....BONES EVERAH-WHERE.......BRAWK!

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 10:10 AM

Sacred Heart has a couple bones, add Bryant.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 10:12 AM

.....POD MAKES IT SOUND....LIKE DUH END O' WORLD....."FREAKING INDIANA STATE".......AWK!

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 10:32 AM
.....POD MAKES IT SOUND....LIKE DUH END O' WORLD....."FREAKING INDIANA STATE".......AWK!
Any loss by the Bison to anybody is a glitch in the Matrix. 😁

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Any loss by the Bison to anybody is a glitch in the Matrix. 

..........WHICH IS DUH PROBLEM...ON AGS NOW.....AWK!

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 10:52 AM

UCD has not beat anyone either.

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 11:12 AM
Well. They beat Tulsa and Tulsa is probably better than either UMass or UGotConned. They beat Weber State which is an average win.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 11:13 AM

....@ #10 IN AGS POLL...&....AHEAD UH 3 VALLEY SQWADS..........VOTERS HAVE IT WRONG THEN.......BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2021, 11:22 AM

I believe Dartmouth would beat UC Davis, less impressed with them each week

Yes, I’m sticking with this UC Davis opinion

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2021, 11:54 AM
....@ #10 IN AGS POLL...&....AHEAD UH 3 VALLEY SQWADS..........VOTERS HAVE IT WRONG THEN.......BRAWK!

This is not the best year for AGS voters. Maybe due to low numbers. It's still better than other polls though.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 12:10 PM
This is not the best year for AGS voters. Maybe due to low numbers. It's still better than other polls though.

.....SO VOTERS ARE WRONG..THEN...GOT IT.......AWK!

lionsrking2
November 17th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Well. They beat Tulsa and Tulsa is probably better than either UMass or UGotConned. They beat Weber State which is an average win.
An FBS win is an FBS win but Tulsa had multiple suspensions from their bowl game vs Miss St that carried over, plus some others for disciplinary reasons.

POD Knows
November 17th, 2021, 12:58 PM
An FBS win is an FBS win but Tulsa had multiple suspensions from their bowl game vs Miss St that carried over, plus some others for disciplinary reasons.
Still better than the two I mentioned.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2021, 01:02 PM
.....SO VOTERS ARE WRONG..THEN...GOT IT.......AWK!

they were slow thanks to no Flo on Delaware and Rhode Island for sure

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 01:20 PM
.......GUESS SAC STATE GAME SETTLES IT......BUT WHIFF ALL DUH GOOD RECORDS....WEST UH OL' MAN RIVER.........CAIN'T WAIT TA HEAR DUH SOBS.....'CAUSE TEAMS IN BIG SKY/MISERY VALLEY WHOM DID NOT MEET IN SEASON.....COOD GO AT IT.....IN FIRST ROUND......BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2021, 01:24 PM
.......GUESS SAC STATE GAME SETTLES IT......BUT WHIFF ALL DUH GOOD RECORDS....WEST UH OL' MAN RIVER.........CAIN'T WAIT TA HEAR DUH SOBS.....'CAUSE TEAMS IN BIG SKY/MISERY VALLEY WHOM DID NOT MEET IN SEASON.....COOD GO AT IT.....IN FIRST ROUND......BRAWK!

The Big Sky is where playoff dreams go to die

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 01:45 PM
....GONNAH BE UH FUN SUNDAY.....xlolx....BRAWK!!

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2021, 01:54 PM

It's possible, but less likely for the Big Sky, IMO. EWU is a seed, barring a PSU upset. A Sac St. win over Davis, and they're a seed as either sole or co-champs. Davis winning may knock both out of a seed, or swap Davis for Sac St. If MSU beats UM, MSU is a seed for sure and the Griz probably play in the first round. A Griz win may result in both being seeded. MSU, at 9-1 vs FCS with a road win against a seeded EWU and a road loss to a seeded UM, would have a decent case for a seed even with a road loss to the Griz, unless it's a dump trucking. The only real chance I see for an intra-conference first round in the Big Sky is if the Aggies and Griz both lose, they could send Davis to Missoula; same if Davis wins, but does not earn a seed. But since Davis to Missoula is a flight regardless, sending the Aggies to a conference foe would probably have to eliminate a flight in another matchup, i.e. if there's going to be 6 flights in round one regardless of if Davis goes to Missoula or not, I would hope the committee wouldn't pair up conference mates that didn't play.

MSU not getting a seed would open up the likelihood. We did not play Sac or Davis so if both went unseeded, they'd probably have to send one to Bozeman (we also better not lose a first round bid war).

Preferred Walk-On
November 17th, 2021, 02:28 PM
It's possible, but less likely for the Big Sky, IMO. EWU is a seed, barring a PSU upset. A Sac St. win over Davis, and they're a seed as either sole or co-champs. Davis winning may knock both out of a seed, or swap Davis for Sac St. If MSU beats UM, MSU is a seed for sure and the Griz probably play in the first round. A Griz win may result in both being seeded. MSU, at 9-1 vs FCS with a road win against a seeded EWU and a road loss to a seeded UM, would have a decent case for a seed even with a road loss to the Griz, unless it's a dump trucking. The only real chance I see for an intra-conference first round in the Big Sky is if the Aggies and Griz both lose, they could send Davis to Missoula; same if Davis wins, but does not earn a seed. But since Davis to Missoula is a flight regardless, sending the Aggies to a conference foe would probably have to eliminate a flight in another matchup, i.e. if there's going to be 6 flights in round one regardless of if Davis goes to Missoula or not, I would hope the committee wouldn't pair up conference mates that didn't play.

MSU not getting a seed would open up the likelihood. We did not play Sac or Davis so if both went unseeded, they'd probably have to send one to Bozeman (we also better not lose a first round bid war).

Going to be an interesting finish and bracketology for the Big Sky, but I think MR. CHICKEN was indicating that the "MVFC-Big Sky Challenge" would be continued in the playoffs. Although he mentioned 1st round, the challenge will likely continue and be prominent in the 2nd round, especially if there are 5 Big Sky and 5 MVFC teams in the tourney.

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Going to be an interesting finish and bracketology for the Big Sky, but I think MR. CHICKEN was indicating that the "MVFC-Big Sky Challenge" would be continued in the playoffs. Although he mentioned 1st round, the challenge will likely continue and be prominent in the 2nd round, especially if there are 5 Big Sky and 5 MVFC teams in the tourney.

Technically, I don't think there is anything against teams from different conferences having a rematch in the first round, so a UNI-Sac State rematch could happen if UNI were to make it. One would hope that would be avoided wherever possible. But that, and the mention of the first round leads me to think he meant a Big Sky-Big Sky or MVFC-MVFC happening in the first round. I don't think anyone would be "sobbing" about a Davis vs. SIU type of matchup. I definitely could have misinterpreted his intention though.

With the number of likely Big Sky and MVFC teams in the playoffs, a continuation of the "challenge" is a certainty.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Technically, I don't think there is anything against teams from different conferences having a rematch in the first round, so a UNI-Sac State rematch could happen if UNI were to make it. One would hope that would be avoided wherever possible. But that, and the mention of the first round leads me to think he meant a Big Sky-Big Sky or MVFC-MVFC happening in the first round. I don't think anyone would be "sobbing" about a Davis vs. SIU type of matchup. I definitely could have misinterpreted his intention though.

With the number of likely Big Sky and MVFC teams in the playoffs, a continuation of the "challenge" is a certainty.
They're supposed to avoid inter-conference rematches from the regular season in the first round unless it adds a flight. Since UNI and Sac St are well outside the 400 mile radius for mandatory air travel I'd think they won't be paired in the first round but, like you alluded to, UNI would probably play in Canada if it meant they got a playoff spot.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 03:05 PM

........THIS.......BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2021, 03:08 PM
They're supposed to avoid inter-conference rematches from the regular season in the first round unless it adds a flight. Since UNI and Sac St are well outside the 400 mile radius for mandatory air travel I'd think they won't be paired in the first round but, like you alluded to, UNI would probably play in Canada if it meant they got a playoff spot.

I thought that was a rule against it, but when I did a very cursory search, all I found was "teams from the same conference that played each other during the regular season will not be paired for first-round games. (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-01-11/fcs-championship-everything-you-need-know)" so I was thinking it was more of a guideline that a rule? It was admittedly a VERY cursory search. Sac-UNI is the only potential BSC-MVFC rematch for Round 1 unless I missed something, and UNI is in a bit of a precarious position at 5-5.

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2021, 03:23 PM

.....DUH SOBBIN'....MIGHT COME 'CAUSE.......IT'S POSSIBLE YOU'LL ELIMINATE....SOME UH YER OWN.....IN 1st ROUND........WHICH IS WHAT AH MEANT......AWK!

....HAPPENED TA YOU-DEE......2018.....WE GOT JMU....1st ROUND....AWQ!

MSUBobcat
November 17th, 2021, 03:44 PM
.....DUH SOBBIN'....MIGHT COME 'CAUSE.......IT'S POSSIBLE YOU'LL ELIMINATE....SOME UH YER OWN.....IN 1st ROUND........WHICH IS WHAT AH MEANT......AWK!

....HAPPENED TA YOU-DEE......2018.....WE GOT JMU....1st ROUND....AWQ!

Yeah, that's how I interpreted your comment. xthumbsupx I do think it's somewhat unlikely for the BSC, as there would seem to be only 1 possible matchup, but that hinges a bit on MSU remaining a seed even with a loss. If MSU is bounced off the seed line and Davis and/or Sac are also unseeded, there's a possible matchup there also, but in the Big Sky a flight is always going to be involved so we are less "exposed" to the risk of traveling to a conference mate unless there's enough other "bus trips" (less than 400miles).

That's not to say the committee won't send a conference mate to another without reducing the number of flights, but man... I sure hope they would for us fans' sake. And I'm not even talking about getting bounced by a conference foe. I just like the intrigue of seeing a matchup that wouldn't likely occur outside of the playoffs. If people want to see MSU vs. Davis... just wait 10 months. xboringx Now if it means there's 5 flights instead of 6 for that round... I accept the financial reasoning behind it. I don't like it, but accept that FCS just isn't a big money sport for NCAA.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 06:06 AM

Princeton beat Monmouth at Monmouth

Dartmouth beat Princeton

Dartmouth better than Monmouth

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 06:10 AM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. Sam Houston St. (1)
2. Montana St. (2)
3. North Dakota St. (3)
4. Missouri St. (4)
5. Villanova (5)
6. Eastern Washington (16)
7. James Madison (8)
8. Dartmouth (9)
9. Princeton (12)
10. Southern Illinois (11)
11. Harvard (13)
12. East Tennessee St. (6)
13. Sacramento St. (14)
14. South Dakota (25)
15. Incarnate Word (17)
16. South Dakota St. (7)
17. Southeastern Louisiana (18)
18. Kennesaw St. (19)
19. Holy Cross (NR)
20. Tennessee-Martin (20)
21. Montana (21)
22. Jackson St. (24)
23. Mercer (NR)
24. Florida A&M (NR)
25. UC Davis (15)

Dropped - Northern Iowa (10), VMI (22), Tennessee-Chattanooga (23)

W - Eastern Washington
L - VMI

just might be the most accurate poll

we will never know

crusader11
November 18th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Absolutely love how caribbeanhen is the Ivy League police on this board...and I agree with his steadfast stance.

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Princeton beat Monmouth at Monmouth

Dartmouth beat Princeton

Dartmouth better than Monmouth

FAMU's only FCS loss was to #20 on this poll submission. Dartmouth lost to #?? Columbia, 5th in the Ivy.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 08:57 AM
FAMU's only FCS loss was to #20 on this poll submission. Dartmouth lost to #?? Columbia, 5th in the Ivy.

Good, let’s see Florida A&M get an at large bid. I’m all for it

POD Knows
November 18th, 2021, 09:07 AM
Absolutely love how caribbeanhen is the Ivy League police on this board...and I agree with his steadfast stance.
Yea. It is a pretty safe bill to perch on, you can never be proven wrong

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Basically just pointing out some weird polls considering actual results of OOC games

The good Ivies passed every test but still get ranked lower than teams they beat

I was expecting to hear... Well I don’t rank Ivies in my poll

Always willing to listen to the why’s no matter how bizarre

POD Knows
November 18th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Basically just pointing out some weird polls considering actual results of OOC games

The good Ivies passed every test but still get ranked lower than teams they beat

I was expecting to hear... Well I don’t rank Ivies in my poll

Always willing to listen to the why’s no matter how bizarre
Their OOC schedules are almost always the softest in FCS. It is rare to see them play anybody decent because they don’t go any where and the football in the NE just simply isn’t as good.

smilo
November 18th, 2021, 09:40 AM

Columbia is one spot behind of Jackson State in SP+ (#34/35). I personally ranked Jackson State 25, but let's not pretend Columbia is very far behind. Probably top 35ish, 40 at the worst. The gap isn't very significant by any metric of your choice.

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2021, 09:46 AM
Columbia is one spot behind of Jackson State in SP+ (#34/35). I personally ranked Jackson State 25, but let's not pretend Columbia is very far behind. Probably top 35ish, 40 at the worst. The gap isn't very significant by any metric of your choice.

We can always go back to to 10 point win over Valpo. The prior week NDSU beat the same Valpo team by 60+.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 10:39 AM

.....AS WELL.....AS YOU....BEIN' RIGHT............AWK!

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Holy crap, UT Martin is sneaky good

I usually write the OVC off but somebody better be careful with this team in first round

ElCid
November 18th, 2021, 06:18 PM

I usually write the OVC off but somebody better be careful with this team in first round

I've had them in early since I saw them. They are solid.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 08:24 PM
......FEW WEEKS BACK DEY DEFEATED...S.E.MISSOURI STATE 38-30........SATURDAY @ S.E.MISSOURI STATE.....HARD TA BEAT UH TEAM A SECOND TIME........WE'LL SEE........AWQ!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Their OOC schedules are almost always the softest in FCS. It is rare to see them play anybody decent because they don’t go any where and the football in the NE just simply isn’t as good.

The talent level within the IL is very good. These schools are able to recruit at a level that's generally above that of other FCS schools because of their academic prowess. They also have very good facilities and coaching staffs due to the endless amounts of green that grows on these campuses. These are fringe FBS programs in many ways....

The institutional ideology that Ivy League football falls back on comes to scheduling/playoffs has nothing to do with the quality of the teams.....

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 08:47 PM
The talent level within the IL is very good. These schools are able to recruit at a level that's generally above that of other FCS schools because of their academic prowess. They also have very good facilities and coaching staffs due to the endless amounts of green that grows on these campuses. These are fringe FBS programs in many ways....

The institutional ideology that Ivy League football falls back on comes to scheduling/playoffs has nothing to do with the quality of the teams.....

....DEY'RE AFFLETES.....IVY NETWORKIN'......SET FO' LIFE ..........WHIFF-OUT DUH NFL.......AN' WON'T HAVE [email protected]!

POD Knows
November 18th, 2021, 10:19 PM

Then they should win every OOC game they play by 50 given who they play. They don’t

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 08:58 PM

told ya

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2021, 09:27 PM
told ya
Ha! I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum in the game thread but if you finish +5 in turnover margin you better win the game I don't care who you're playing. It's not like that was the UTM defense's MO coming in either since they were even on turnover margin on the year coming into this one.

You should just keep on that "I was the first to rank Sam Houston #1 in the spring" victory lap. ;)

mvemjsunpx
November 27th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Ha! I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseum in the game thread but if you finish +5 in turnover margin you better win the game I don't care who you're playing. It's not like that was the UTM defense's MO coming in either since they were even on turnover margin on the year coming into this one.

You should just keep on that "I was the first to rank Sam Houston #1 in the spring" victory lap. ;)

Can't we all just be happy that Bobby Petrino lost? xlolx

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2021, 09:49 PM

haha

I have a few more