PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference Week #12 Pick 'em

McCowboys
November 15th, 2021, 08:16 AM
Southland Conference Week #12 Pick 'em

No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners.

All six SLC teams are in action this week. There is a poll (scroll up) to make choosing your winners easier. Home teams are on the bottom.

This past weekend, the Incarnate Word Cardinals jumped into the driver's seat for the SLC's automatic bid into the FCS playoffs with a hard fought win over Nicholls. SLU and McNeese easily defeated the two conference bottom dwellers Northwestern State and HBU, respectively.

This week's poll will close early as the game to watch is Thursday between the Southeastern Louisiana Lions and the Nicholls Colonels for the River Bell Trophy, and for playoff seeding and possible inclusion. Maybe one of you can fill in the implications of this game on the playoffs.

McNeese Cowboys will host hated rivals Northwestern State Demons. A win by the Cowboys, coupled with a loss by Nicholls to SLU, would allow the Cowboys to tie for 3rd in the conference standings.

UIW, unless it completely implodes, should have no trouble with the Houston Baptist Huskies in Houston.

Good luck to all in the final week of the regular season Fall 2021!

McCowboys
November 16th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Does anyone have a current (possibly updated) list of the members of the FCS playoff selection committee? The reason I ask is the only one I can find has Ryan Ivey (SFA) as the Southland Conference representative, the only problem as we know is SFA is in the WAC now, not the SLC. Also, does the WAC does not have a representative? Does the ASun?

The Cats
November 16th, 2021, 07:20 PM
voted

NOLA
November 16th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Houston Baptist's AD is on the committee.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2021-playoff-committee-members-bzbz/

I think the only thing the River Bell game will determine is if SELA gets a share of the title with Incarnate Word. Well if UIW loses Saturday (a huge IF) then the Lions would be outright champs with a win. SELA and UIW both win and finish 7-1 then UIW gets the AQ and both would make the playoffs. SELA losing could be interesting because their best win would be against a 6-5 Nicholls team that they literally just lost to. Imagine 8 mediocre wins would be enough but it wasn't for McNeese in 2017.

NOLA
November 16th, 2021, 10:39 PM
With this week's games, no way UIW loses to Houston Baptist. So congrats to the Cardinals on Sam Houstoning on their way out of the league. 48-10. Not a no way for McNeese but I like the Cowboys at home against the Demons. 31-14. Wondering if these are the last games we see from HBU and Northwestern State's coaches. I think Houston Baptist gets more of a pass with all their guys going to Western Kentucky and losing their quarterback early.

I've been wrong all season so picking the Colonels to win Thursday. 38-35. I think we try to slow the game down again like last weekend. Can't afford more than one turnover.

McCowboys
November 17th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Houston Baptist's AD is on the committee.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2021-playoff-committee-members-bzbz/

I think the only thing the River Bell game will determine is if SELA gets a share of the title with Incarnate Word. Well if UIW loses Saturday (a huge IF) then the Lions would be outright champs with a win. SELA and UIW both win and finish 7-1 then UIW gets the AQ and both would make the playoffs. SELA losing could be interesting because their best win would be against a 6-5 Nicholls team that they literally just lost to. Imagine 8 mediocre wins would be enough but it wasn't for McNeese in 2017.

Thank you for directing me to the FCS committee list. This is definitely an updated one from the only one I had been able to find.

McCowboys
November 17th, 2021, 06:06 AM
With this week's games, no way UIW loses to Houston Baptist. So congrats to the Cardinals on Sam Houstoning on their way out of the league. 48-10. Not a no way for McNeese but I like the Cowboys at home against the Demons. 31-14. Wondering if these are the last games we see from HBU and Northwestern State's coaches. I think Houston Baptist gets more of a pass with all their guys going to Western Kentucky and losing their quarterback early.

I've been wrong all season so picking the Colonels to win Thursday. 38-35. I think we try to slow the game down again like last weekend. Can't afford more than one turnover.

Thanks for your input. You should post more often.

McCowboys
November 18th, 2021, 06:19 AM
This poll will end this morning since Southeastern and Nicholls play this evening.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 08:31 PM
NICHOLLS/S.E.LA. KNOTTED UP 28-28 3Q.............BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 08:53 PM
NICHOLLS STATE 38
S.E.LA. 28 3Q

Daytripper
November 18th, 2021, 08:54 PM
Nicholls is punking SELA-- 45-28 early in 4th quarter.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 08:56 PM
....bonarae.....WHERE'S DUH SCORE THREAD?.............BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 09:03 PM
Nicholls is punking SELA-- 45-28 early in 4th quarter.

not over just yet

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2021, 09:16 PM
NICHOLLS ST. 45
S.E.LA. 35 4Q

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 09:18 PM
19 Guggenheimer looks like Franz Klamer in Austria

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Down goes SLU 45-42 to Nicholls. I'd assume the Lions are still in the playoffs at 8-3. Only caught the last few minutes but Nicholls got a gift from the stripes when they didn't throw a flag on a clear hit out of bounds right before SLU missed the potential game tying 44 yards FG.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Nicholls pulls it out

crazy good game to watch

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2021, 10:03 PM
Down goes SLU 45-42 to Nicholls. I'd assume the Lions are still in the playoffs at 8-3
The YURVIEW Announcers didn’t seem so confident about SELA’s playoff chances.

Good thing they played 2-8 NW State (whose 2 wins are both over 0-10 Houston Baptist) twice…HBU is also 1 of SELA’s other wins. Bet they wish they coulda got HBU 2x instead of 2x with Nicholls. Might’ve been in contention for a Top 8 seed @ 9-2, huh?

As it is, all in all, kinda looks like 3 ‘gimmes’ out of 8 wins for the Lions. #ScheduleMatters

McCowboys
November 19th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Nicholls certainly put a fly in that ointment.
Do you think the FCS committee can deny including a QB like Cole Kelley, reigning Payton Award winner, and the potent Lions offense? Yeah, their competition is certainly suspect, but as they say, you can only play what is before you, and the shrinking of the SLC due to five schools leaving didn't help with scheduling.

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2021, 08:55 AM
The YURVIEW Announcers didn’t seem so confident about SELA’s playoff chances.

Good thing they played 2-8 NW State (whose 2 wins are both over 0-10 Houston Baptist) twice…HBU is also 1 of SELA’s other wins. Bet they wish they coulda got HBU 2x instead of 2x with Nicholls. Might’ve been in contention for a Top 8 seed @ 9-2, huh?

As it is, all in all, kinda looks like 3 ‘gimmes’ out of 8 wins for the Lions. #ScheduleMatters

Oh c’mon man

Have some Mercer on the Lions

they will be in

lionsrking2
November 19th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Oh c’mon man

Have some Mercer on the Lions

they will be in

I’ve said all along 8-3 would be danger territory and I’m not confident at all. That said our people seem to think we’ll get in and host — we apparently put in an extremely aggressive bid.

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2021, 10:49 AM
19 Guggenheimer looks like Franz Klamer in Austria

anyone get it?

I know I spelled #19 wrong

but 1976
Olympics
skier
playboy
downhill

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2021, 10:54 AM
I’ve said all along 8-3 would be danger territory and I’m not confident at all. That said our people seem to think we’ll get in and host — we apparently put in an extremely aggressive bid.

I’m thinking no way they can keep you out. Those games between SLA and Nicholls always deliver top FCS entertainment