PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs TV

mvfcfan
November 15th, 2021, 07:56 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/broadcast-info

Appears that all of the 1st and 2nd round games with be on ESPN+ this season instead of ESPN3 which is a welcome change in my opinion, since I'll be able to watch them now on my phone with my + account.

The quarterfinals will be the same except that the two E3 games will be on E+ now. The other two will be ESPN/E2. Semifinals and championship are all on ESPN2. I'm not sure if the championship will still be on ABC as well, but hopefully it is. I'll be in Frisco, but I think having it on network TV is great for the FCS.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 08:00 AM

Appears that all of the 1st and 2nd round games with be on ESPN+ this season instead of ESPN3 which is a welcome change in my opinion, since I'll be able to watch them now on my phone with my + account.

The quarterfinals will be the same except that the two E3 games will be on E+ now. The other two will be ESPN/E2. Semifinals and championship are all on ESPN2. I'm not sure if the championship will still be on ABC as well, but hopefully it is. I'll be in Frisco, but I think having it on network TV is great for the FCS.
I saw it mentioned earlier that the reason the championship got bumped from ABC is that ESPN and ABC are simulcasting some week 18 NFL games on the last Saturday of the regular season that day. Apparently with the extra week of regular season the NFL divvyed up those last weeks games to all of it's TV providers. Too bad since that was great exposure for the FCS and JMU/NDSU drew a pretty good number 2 years ago (2.7M viewers)... but nobody beats the NFL.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 10:55 AM

if I login to ESPN + on iPhone I can only watch ESPN + plus games

if I try to watch ESPN3 game it asks me to login to cable provider and I don’t have cable only net

but on Roku app/ logged in to ESPN on TV, I can watch both plus and ESPN3 games without cable

my problem will be when games go to ESPN2

Hammerhead
November 15th, 2021, 11:26 AM
It's a good thing I didn't pay for 30 days of ESPN+ to watch the Bison play at Youngstown State until last Friday so I can still catch the first two rounds. ESPN3 is included in my cable package so I liked that better. :)

Hammerhead
November 15th, 2021, 11:33 AM
That TV schedule sucks with all of the 1st round games at the same time and half of the 2nd round games on Friday noon/morning. What if there is no Big Sky team hosting a quarterfinal and a team in the central time zone has to kick off at 9:00 PM? I guess that would make for some good tailgating Friday evening.

CHIP72
November 15th, 2021, 11:46 AM
That TV schedule sucks with all of the 1st round games at the same time and half of the 2nd round games on Friday noon/morning. What if there is no Big Sky team hosting a quarterfinal and a team in the central time zone has to kick off at 9:00 PM? I guess that would make for some good tailgating Friday evening.

My guess is those are just tentative times the NCAA has identified until the bracket is announced and the game pairings are set.

As a different type of example of a schedule conflict meaning a 12 PM ET game wouldn't work, if Villanova is a top 8 seed, gets a first round bye, and hosts a second round game, I think it is very unlikely they'd play their home game at 12 PM ET on Saturday 12/4 (though a Friday 12/3 12 PM ET game would be interesting; I'm off that day so I might go! xawesomex). Villanova basketball hosts one of their biggest rivals, fellow Philadelphia Big 5 team St. Joe's, at 12 PM ET at the Pavilion on campus that day. A Villanova football home playoff game would probably start at 4 PM or later on Saturday 12/4 due to the conflict.

McCowboys
November 15th, 2021, 12:24 PM

if I try to watch ESPN3 game it asks me to login to cable provider and I don’t have cable only net

but on Roku app/ logged in to ESPN on TV, I can watch both plus and ESPN3 games without cable

ESPN3 gives me trouble. I can watch it on my laptop through "WatchESPN," but the video quality always seems poor quality. I can use Chromecast to cast it to my TV, but the quality is still subpar.
If I try to watch it directly from my smart TV with the ESPN app (and even though I do have an ESPN+ subscription), it asks me to log in with my cable provider. I do have a cable provider subscription, but for some reason, it will not accept my log in.
What is the point of ESPN3?

CHIP72
November 15th, 2021, 01:20 PM
ESPN3 gives me trouble. I can watch it on my laptop through "WatchESPN," but the video quality always seems poor quality. I can use Chromecast to cast it to my TV, but the quality is still subpar.
If I try to watch it directly from my smart TV with the ESPN app (and even though I do have an ESPN+ subscription), it asks me to log in with my cable provider. I do have a cable provider subscription, but for some reason, it will not accept my log in.
What is the point of ESPN3?

ESPN3's point until recently was 1) to provide an outlet for people living outside of certain regions to watch games via streaming for teams on an ESPN-affiliated conference-based network, such as watching SEC Network games if you live in an area where the SEC Network isn't on your cable package and 2) to allow games in less prominent DI-A/FBS and many DI-AA/FCS conferences to be available for streaming for people with cable packages that included ESPN channels. Now with many people cutting cable and those same people watching TV exclusively via streamed channels, which was the impetus for ESPN to create ESPN+ a few years ago, the need for ESPN3 has been reduced. Not coincidentally, there were significantly fewer games available this football season on ESPN3; most games that were previously on ESPN3 (and also available on ESPN GamePlan) are now being shown on ESPN+. It is ESPN's way of trying to show ESPN+ has value so people buy it. (Of course, ESPN also wants you to still subscribe to cable to get ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU so they can charge you twice.)

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2021, 01:37 PM
AH'VE GOT ESPN3...ON XFINITY (COMCAST)....AN'.......MOSTLY WATCHED ALOT O' UNINSPIRED GAMES........WHILE LOTTAH GOOD ONES......WERE ON DUH +......HAD AH KNOWN ESPN+....WOOD CARRY FIRST TWO ROUNDS UH DANCE......@ BEGINNIN' UH SEASON.......AH MIGHTA SPRUNG FO' IT........BUT AH'LL SIT 'EM OUT DIS YEAR......DEY'RE WAS UH NOTICE IN MAH CABLE BILL.....DIS TIME....AS UH DECEMBER 31st....NBC SPORTS NETWORK (NBCSN)....WILL CEASE OPERATIONS........AWQ!

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2021, 03:27 PM

How do you watch live TV channels? Or do you.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 04:00 PM
How do you watch live TV channels? Or do you.

I don’t watch live TV and don’t feel I’m missing out

with Roku you can load channel apps and watch a lot of channels but it is somewhat limited without cable

3 years ago the local ISP was about 40 bucks, now it’s $65 a month here on Island

In NYC I have Verizon for internet and price has gone from 40 to 74 per month in 4 years, I use Firestick in NYC and it’s very similar to Roku

I have learned that if I go to YouTube and search on a game that might be on ESPN / 2, I might get lucky

If I added basic cable again would probably be $75 on top of Internet so they can kizz my grits

ST_Lawson
November 15th, 2021, 04:11 PM
If I added basic cable again would probably be $75 on top of Internet so they can kizz my grits

Ditto for me. No live TV beyond games I can get on ESPN+.

Lorne_Malvo
November 15th, 2021, 04:15 PM

with Roku you can load channel apps and watch a lot of channels but it is somewhat limited without cable

3 years ago the local ISP was about 40 bucks, now it’s $65 a month here on Island

In NYC I have Verizon for internet and price has gone from 40 to 74 per month in 4 years, I use Firestick in NYC and it’s very similar to Roku

I have learned that if I go to YouTube and search on a game that might be on ESPN / 2, I might get lucky

Get a Nvidia Shield. It crushes roku and firestick.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Get a Nvidia Shield. It crushes roku and firestick.

I have some shares, they are rocketing skyward so you must be right

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 07:10 PM
Ditto for me. No live TV beyond games I can get on ESPN+.

We are cut from same cloth