PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette at Lehigh - 157th Game

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2021, 08:31 AM
The week is finally here after a two-year hiatus. But what are we really looking at?

If the Pards beat Lehigh, what really changes in Easton? If the Gilmore gang wins on Saturday, what really changes in Bethlehem?

A win is a must in this game of course, but I do not see the direction of these programs really changing.

My pick is that Lehigh straight-up wins this game. It was entertaining to see them not score a TD until late October, but they clearly found something. They have heart. Lafayette does not - I do not know what we have - but we have looked like a disorganized mess following bye week.

Calling out Lafayette for having no heart would have been enough to get Tavani mad-dog mad and have Lafayette ready to play... Garrett will... ??

Heart will be the deciding factor - the talent is identical. As much as I hate Lehigh, we don't have it - nor a clue on the field.

Lehigh 24, Lafayette 17

LUHawker
November 14th, 2021, 08:57 AM
I think P4L makes a pretty good assessment. For as bad as Gilmore has been as head coach and a loss here would maybe send him packing (which I hope happens), Lehigh has some momentum; Lafayette does not. IMO, Lehigh should have beaten Fordham and has been playing better (a very low bar, mind you). I’ve seen the LC games against Harvard, G’town and Colgate and despite some of their early season flashes, this team looks more like the Garrett teams we’ve come to expect.

I also see Lehigh winning this one by about 3 or 4.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2021, 10:08 AM
What barometer exists for coaches on South Mountain nowadays? Lembo was not welcome back after 11, 8, 8, 9, 8 win seasons if I recall...

IslandPard
November 14th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Agree with both of the above assessments. We’re clearly hanging on at this point. And, because of the black box that LC is, we’ll never know why.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Agree with both of the above assessments. We’re clearly hanging on at this point. And, because of the black box that LC is, we’ll never know why.

This is where a great beat writer like Paul Reinhard would come into play... but local papers are dying or gutted... and we are not relevant enough to attract media attention from traditional and social/independent media (i.e. bloggers). LFN is the closest to this independent model but he is a rah-rah Lehigh homer, not that he won't be the first to admit that.

Digby
November 14th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Lehigh looks better.
Lafayette’s offense has no rhythm. There is no consistency and despite a good start there’s no way to know if Davis is the future QB.
This game is the Apathy Bowl. I’ll probably skip it.

ngineer
November 14th, 2021, 08:57 PM
What barometer exists for coaches on South Mountain nowadays? Lembo was not welcome back after 11, 8, 8, 9, 8 win seasons if I recall...

Not sure about Lembo not being 'welcome back". He was looking to move up the college football ladder and grabbed a great opportunity to turn around a moribund Elon program and burnish his reputation after a strong run at Lehigh. If there was a criticism about Pete, it was his 'prickly' personality. He didn't take criticism easily and had an infamous snarky retort at a luncheon years ago with an alum that did not go down well. I think he felt he was beyond criticism with all of his wins. Pete, Cecchini, and Gilmore all contributed to and benefitted from the program Higgins put together after Small left. There may never be another streak like Lehigh had from 1998-05. I think Sterrett liked the fact that Gilmore truly loved his time at Lehigh and has been unabashedly proud to come back and, I think, feels that if he can turn around the program it could turn into a longterm gig to retirement. He's in his late 50's with kids and loves the Lehigh Valley. We shall see. If we beat the 'pards this Saturday, and follow it with a winning record in '22 and compete with Holy Cross and Fordham like we did this year, then he may be on the road he wants. If we lose Saturday and nothing appear to improve in '22, then he may be gone after that. From what I have seen over the past month, the guys on the team have seen what kind of improvement can occur with hard work. You can tell watching them on the sideline that they are enjoying the game and having fun, again. Lehigh has traditionally been a patient institution when it comes to changes. We will find out in the next year how it wears.

ngineer
November 14th, 2021, 09:03 PM
This is where a great beat writer like Paul Reinhard would come into play... but local papers are dying or gutted... and we are not relevant enough to attract media attention from traditional and social/independent media (i.e. bloggers). LFN is the closest to this independent model but he is a rah-rah Lehigh homer, not that he won't be the first to admit that.

So true about the lack of local coverage. Reinhard did Lafayette and Groller did Lehigh. Now, neither gets covered until sometime in mid week. Hell, there is rarely an article the day after our games anymore. I guess it is assumed everyone has already gotten their info from the internet. Sports staff is worn thin, an more time spend on the heavy high school sports.

LehighU11
November 14th, 2021, 09:16 PM
Before the Fordham game, it looked like an easy Lafayette win in this one to me. The W-L record in the Gilmore era is indisputably bad, but I haven't seen a Lehigh team as "up" to play in quite some time. This is a hungry team, as shown from the stunning turnaround at Fordham, jawing and near halftime brawl against HC, thumping of Bucknell, and the team's energy yesterday for the coin toss (at 1-8!) against Georgetown on a dreary day in a nearly empty stadium.

I'll go with 23-20 Lehigh in a chippy contest. Garrett may not be inspiring, but LC's seniors certainly will remember the no-show in 2018. Lehigh was determined to send Andy Coen out on a high note, and caught the Leopards flat-footed from the opening drive. I don't expect that to happen again.

ngineer
November 14th, 2021, 09:20 PM
My pick: I'm sticking with my 30-24 score in the PL thread. I have not seen, first hand, Lafayette, but saw a couple of their games on TV earlier in the season and they appeared to have some momentum building toward a .500 or plus season. They have obviously hit some potholes the past few weeks, and there is nothing to salvage at this point. Even a win over Lehigh doesn't taste all that great due to the expectations that were building back in October. OTOH, Lehigh is experiencing a resurgence and, as mentioned, has shown a lot of heart. Their horrendous start to the season and becoming a virtual laughing stock could have resulted in a lot of discord, finger pointing, and dissension. This didn't happen, and some credit has to go to the coaching staff in keeping the ship afloat, as well as the few seniors who have shown great leadership. The players can now look back and see how they have grown and are already looking forward to the winter workouts and next year. They know winning this game means a lot to the alums. I have had several express thanks in seeing the number of Lehigh fans at our away games this year; frequently equalling or outnumbering the fans in the home stands. Weather, at this point is not a factor. For some reason, I am really looking forward to this game moreso than some of the others. Perhaps it's because we've been denied our tradition last year and just being back with a good crowd is something to look forward to; but, I also think it's because some of us see the chance for a new beginning and a win on Saturday sets the stage for next season. And, as has been my tradition, here, at this time of year: NOVEMBER 20, 2021, THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!! GO LEHIGH!!

CHIP72
November 15th, 2021, 11:27 AM
FWIW, it appears L-L 157 may NOT be on TV in the Baltimore and Washington areas; when I looked at the TV Guide listings online yesterday (Sunday 11/14), it appeared neither MASN nor NBC Sports Washington planned to televise the game. MASN has generally picked up the Lafayette Sports Network feed for broadcast in past years (and did televise one Lafayette game earlier this year).

It may still be possible either MASN or (less likely) NBC Sports Washington will televise the game on their overflow, second channel (i.e. in NBC Sports Washington's case the channel that was known as CN8 back in the 2000s).

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2021, 04:13 PM
The big regional sports networks are in trouble.

https://theathletic.com/2952789/2021/11/15/amid-sports-tv-chaos-what-happens-if-sinclairs-rsns-go-bankrupt-next-year/

CHIP72
November 15th, 2021, 06:34 PM
FWIW, it appears L-L 157 may NOT be on TV in the Baltimore and Washington areas; when I looked at the TV Guide listings online yesterday (Sunday 11/14), it appeared neither MASN nor NBC Sports Washington planned to televise the game. MASN has generally picked up the Lafayette Sports Network feed for broadcast in past years (and did televise one Lafayette game earlier this year).

It may still be possible either MASN or (less likely) NBC Sports Washington will televise the game on their overflow, second channel (i.e. in NBC Sports Washington's case the channel that was known as CN8 back in the 2000s).

I was incorrect above; the Lafayette broadcast of L-L 157 will be televised on MASN2 in the Baltimore and Washington areas. (It will also be televised on NBC Sports Chicago and NBC Sports Bay Area.)

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Lafayette sports broadcasts have had a curious trend. I think that we have lost access to LC sports in the past few years - all Lafayette football games, home and away, were broadcast on LSN. The Patriot League Network would broadcast games for free. Now, all streamed football games are on ESPN+ behind a pay-wall. Only home games are broadcast on LSN. However, I have seen Lafayette and other PL games being broadcast on SNY, the NY Mets network. So, I am not sure if the past few years are better or... ?

CHIP72
November 15th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Lafayette sports broadcasts have had a curious trend. I think that we have lost access to LC sports in the past few years - all Lafayette football games, home and away, were broadcast on LSN. The Patriot League Network would broadcast games for free. Now, all streamed football games are on ESPN+ behind a pay-wall. Only home games are broadcast on LSN. However, I have seen Lafayette and other PL games being broadcast on SNY, the NY Mets network. So, I am not sure if the past few years are better or... ?

I think things have gotten worse, at least for Patriot League teams. Streamed games used to be free. To my knowledge WBPH Channel 60 in Bethlehem has also gone to all religious programming, rather than religious programming interrupted periodically by Lafayette football or basketball games produced by the Lafayette Sports Network. (I could be wrong about that.)

A few years ago I could watch either the Lehigh broadcast or the Lafayette broadcast of the L-L game in the DC area. (I think the Lehigh broadcast was picked up by Fox College Sports Atlantic or one of the regional Fox College Sports channels before they were pulled from the air.) Now I'm lucky to at least get the Lafayette broadcast. I think the Lehigh broadcast of the game may also no longer be on WFMZ Channel 69 in Allentown.

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2021, 07:03 PM
It is said "throw the records out the window, it's Lafayette-Lehigh, anything can happen." Is this really true?

I consider an 'upset' if the team that wins the Rivalry entered it with a 3-win margin i.e. Lehigh enters the game 7-3 and Lafayette 4-6. Here is what I found:

Remarkably, through 157 meetings, both Lafayette and Lehigh have each entered the Rivalry with a 3+ game margin over their rival 32 times.

In these instances...
Lafayette is 2-30, with upsets in: 1949 (4 games worse than Lehigh) and 2013 (5 games)
Lehigh is 5-27, with upsets in: 1892 (4), 1965 (3), 1968 (5), 2008 (3), 2009 (5)

So, I think upsets are rare - only 7 in 64 games (11%). However, they seem to be more "frequent" - 3 of 8 since 2008 when there was a 3+ game differential (Lafayette is 0-2 and Lehigh is 5-1).

And it goes to show you how badly Lafayette bungled the end of the 2000s.

I will share more trends throughout the week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2021, 07:14 PM
I just saw Jim Clements has Kutztown the #1 seed in the Northeast in the D2 playoffs. The man has never had a losing record as a college head coach! If Clements is not the head coach at Lafayette or Lehigh in the next 13 months someone it will be an epic failure. I'd love for Lehigh can Gilmore and hire Clements this year. He's the coach Lehigh needs to return to national viability again....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Jim Clements career record, all this happened within 40 miles of Lehigh and Lafayette. I applaud Holy Cross's leadership ability to fire a bum like Gilmore and identify a proven winner like Chesney. If Lehigh loses I pray there's enough ammo to send Gilmore packing and perhaps make it happen. Here's Clements record....I wish this truly was a "Sweepstakes Bowl". The loser really wins...

Jim Clements
2006 Delaware Valley 8-3
2007 Delaware Valley 5-5
2008 Delaware Valley 8-3
2009 Delaware Valley 10-3 D3 Playoffs
2010 Delaware Valley 9-3 D3 Playoffs
2011 Delaware Valley 11-1 D3 Playoffs
2012 Delaware Valley 8-3
2013 Delaware Valley 7-4
2014 Kutztown 6-5
2015 Kutztown 7-4
2016 Kutztown 7-4
2017 Kutztown 8-3
2018 Kutztown 9-2 D2 Playoffs
2019 Kutztown 11-2 D2 Playoffs
2020 No Season
2021 Kutztown 9-1 D2 Playoffs

Career Record
Clements 114-44 (Winner)
Tom Gilmore 78-99 (Loser)
John Garrett 14-33 (Loser)

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Jim Clements career record, all this happened within 40 miles of Lehigh and Lafayette. I applaud Holy Cross's leadership ability to fire a bum like Gilmore and identify a proven winner like Chesney. If Lehigh loses I pray there's enough ammo to send Gilmore packing and perhaps make it happen. Here's Clements record....I wish this truly was a "Sweepstakes Bowl". The loser really wins...

Jim Clements
2006 Delaware Valley 8-3
2007 Delaware Valley 5-5
2008 Delaware Valley 8-3
2012 Delaware Valley 8-3
2013 Delaware Valley 7-4
2014 Kutztown 6-5
2015 Kutztown 7-4
2016 Kutztown 7-4
2017 Kutztown 8-3
2020 No Season

Career Record
Clements 114-44 (Winner)

Interesting! Wow! My friend and I were just talking about who else (no names given) interviewed at Lafayette besides Garrett? Killer B's son would know!!

IslandPard
November 16th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Interesting! Wow! My friend and I were just talking about who else (no names given) interviewed at Lafayette besides Garrett? Killer B's son would know!!

I believe Tim Cramsey and John Troxell were interviewed. But my memory is not what it used to be!

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2021, 12:55 PM
I believe Tim Cramsey and John Troxell were interviewed. But my memory is not what it used to be!

OK I recall Cramsey name and I assume Troxell. Not sure if ever acknowledged though

ngineer
November 16th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Possibly due to ESPN+ now covering all PL games? Game still being broadcast in in eastern PA by WFMZ, Ch.69 out of Allentown.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2021, 01:13 PM

There was someone on the Pard board posting at the time who certainly appeared to have inside info. He called the Garrett hire early on.

I recall James Perry (now the head coach at Brown) and Harvard assistant Joel Lamb as the other finalists per this poster. I understand Cramsey was not interviewed in person. It was Bruce leading the search of course. Ms. Freeman appears to have better judgment.

ngineer
November 16th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Jim Clements
2006 Delaware Valley 8-3
2007 Delaware Valley 5-5
2008 Delaware Valley 8-3
2012 Delaware Valley 8-3
2013 Delaware Valley 7-4
2014 Kutztown 6-5
2015 Kutztown 7-4
2016 Kutztown 7-4
2017 Kutztown 8-3
2020 No Season

Career Record
Clements 114-44 (Winner)

That is an impressive record. Question I have never seen answered is whether Clements actually applied for and was interviewed for the job? I don't recall ever seeing an 'official' list of who applied and was interviewed. There were reported 'sightings' of Cecchini and Gilmore on campus during the process, but I don't recall that Clements was ever mentioned as being interviewed. I am sure there were a lot of applications submitted that were then sifted to determine if telephone interview, followed by an invite to campus for a 'finals' interview. Certainly, if Clements was seriously considered in 2018-19, there might be some re-thinking. Typically, not Lehigh's style to terminate mid-contract. And if Lehigh wins Saturday, that makes it even more unlikely. Like him or not, the players seem to have responded to Gilmore in a positive way in fighting through the desert. Additionally, maybe Clements stock is rising to the extent that HE is no long interested in us or the FCS, but may be looking for an assistant position at an FBS school, if he is like a "Lembo", looking to eventually grab the brass ring of a major program. Will be interesting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2021, 09:58 PM
With Lehigh's 85-75 loss to Monmouth and Lafayette's 85-57 setback to Penn both school's hoops teams are 0-3. That's about right these days....xsmhx

LehighU11
November 17th, 2021, 06:09 AM
With Lehigh's 85-75 loss to Monmouth and Lafayette's 85-57 setback to Penn both school's hoops teams are 0-3. That's about right these days....xsmhx
The last 2 seasons have been rough on Lehigh, but that's in part due to rebuilding and two starters transferring to NC State and BC. Prior to 2019-2020, LU had 5 straight winning campaigns both overall and in PL play, with only 1 losing season in 10 years. The basketball program is not in the same decline as football has been.

Digby
November 17th, 2021, 08:30 AM
Lafayette will be 0-5 soon.
For Lehigh and Lafayette coverage, Wfmz.com does quite a bit. The newspapers are what they are. The fact that both still have a print edition daily is notable.
Lafayette faces another dreary season. At least we have a great coach!
The Greatest of All Time!

crusader11
November 17th, 2021, 08:46 AM
I think Lehigh takes this one.

Over the past four weeks, they've actually looked like a halfway decent team and are trending upward (I mean, they had nowhere to go but up after not scoring a touchdown through the first six weeks) -- could have beaten Fordham, had HC to a one possession game in the 4th, and handily beat Bucknell and Georgetown.

Lafayette have gone backwards the last four weeks, after we heard that they may be turning the corner.

Garrett should lose his job after this week. But he won't.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2021, 11:46 AM
There was someone on the Pard board posting at the time who certainly appeared to have inside info. He called the Garrett hire early on.

I recall James Perry (now the head coach at Brown) and Harvard assistant Joel Lamb as the other finalists per this poster. I understand Cramsey was not interviewed in person. It was Bruce leading the search of course. Ms. Freeman appears to have better judgment.
I think that was Killer B!!

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Boy this is a sad state of affairs for this thread. I guess not expected with a 2-8 team vs a 3-7 one....is LFN ok? He has been MIA for awhile. I know its a bad Hawk year but...

IslandPard
November 18th, 2021, 09:37 AM
Boy this is a sad state of affairs for this thread. I guess not expected with a 2-8 team vs a 3-7 one....is LFN ok? He has been MIA for awhile. I know its a bad Hawk year but...

Very sad indeed. Missing Carney, Andy, Maroon.

LC is not good enough right now to pin 3 in a row on LU. Barring some miraculous recovery in one week, it's LU by 2 TDs.

BTW, what's the spread? Seems impossible to handicap.

Digby
November 18th, 2021, 10:40 AM
I can’t find any spreads. Not yet.
Another thing about this game: In some years we are speculating on somebody from either team who might get to be an undrafted free agent (UDFA). Not this year.
Lafayette and Lehigh don’t have to send guys to the NFL to be a success and there are great guys on both sides. Just not the talent we had BEFORE scholarships!

CHIP72
November 18th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I can’t find any spreads. Not yet.
Another thing about this game: In some years we are speculating on somebody from either team who might get to be an undrafted free agent (UDFA). Not this year.
Lafayette and Lehigh don’t have to send guys to the NFL to be a success and there are great guys on both sides. Just not the talent we had BEFORE scholarships!

I'm glad I can't because I'd probably gain 5-10 pounds if I could! xlolx

RichH2
November 18th, 2021, 04:56 PM
I just saw Jim Clements has Kutztown the #1 seed in the Northeast in the D2 playoffs. The man has never had a losing record as a college head coach! If Clements is not the head coach at Lafayette or Lehigh in the next 13 months someone it will be an epic failure. I'd love for Lehigh can Gilmore and hire Clements this year. He's the coach Lehigh needs to return to national viability again....

+1

Digby
November 18th, 2021, 09:06 PM
The Gilmore Factor is Lafayette’s
best hope, just as Garrett’s strategy is Lehigh’s.

There is no local buzz around the game this week but a couple good years could bring that back.

I’ll take Lafayette 23-10. An offensive explosion for us.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2021, 09:15 PM
Only an article in the Call. Game will be on LSN and Service Electric.

ngineer
November 18th, 2021, 10:13 PM

The only surprise to me was the loss to NJIT. Rutgers and Monmouth are pretty good teams.

ngineer
November 18th, 2021, 10:24 PM
As of yesterday, Lehigh had only 300 tickets available. They didn't say in the article in the Brown & White whether Lafayette filled their allotment and returned any; so it could be a sellout. After being deprived of attending last fall, the Sophs and Frosh will both be attending their first, so there may be more interest strictly from a curiosity standpoint. The on campus L-L week traditions have been in full gear: the old 'Bed Races" have returned-changing the method to head to head competition with eliminating rounds versus just getting timed against the clock; The Marching '97 have been doing their infamous "Eco-Flame" surprise 'march-ins' into the three libraries, food courts, lecture halls and other buildings; sign competition has returned. I miss the elaborate house decorations that occurred back in the '60's -'80's. Weather looking good. Cloudy with high of 48F, probably low 40's at kickoff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2021, 10:30 PM
As of yesterday, Lehigh had only 300 tickets available. They didn't say in the article in the Brown & White whether Lafayette filled their allotment and returned any; so it could be a sellout. After being deprived of attending last fall, the Sophs and Frosh will both be attending their first, so there may be more interest strictly from a curiosity standpoint. The on campus L-L week traditions have been in full gear: the old 'Bed Races" have returned-changing the method to head to head competition with eliminating rounds versus just getting timed against the clock; The Marching '97 have been doing their infamous "Eco-Flame" surprise 'march-ins' into the three libraries, food courts, lecture halls and other buildings; sign competition has returned. I miss the elaborate house decorations that occurred back in the '60's -'80's. Weather looking good. Cloudy with high of 48F, probably low 40's at kickoff.

Seems like Lehigh's campus has been buzzing pretty good this week based on social media and such.

I'm considering going (i'll find a ticket ;)). Amazingly I have not been to a Lehigh-Lafayette game since 2016. That's after a 25 year stretch where I missed maybe 2-3 games.....

ngineer
November 18th, 2021, 10:45 PM
Seems like Lehigh's campus has been buzzing pretty good this week based on social media and such.

I'm considering going (i'll find a ticket ;)). Amazingly I have not been to a Lehigh-Lafayette game since 2016. That's after a 25 year stretch where I missed maybe 2-3 games.....

I will likely have one extra. As of right now, one of my two granddaughters may have some Girl Scout event. I will be at the "Kings of Tailgates" site (KOT flag flying), which is primarily Class of '74. We have great spread. 15 turkeys pressure cooked. We will be dressing them tomorrow afternoon. We usually get about 250-300 people. We do ask for a donation to a memorial fund for two of our passed captains Roger McMillan and Dan Mulholland. Money goes to the Lehigh Football Partnership. There are also usually some others walking around with an extra, as well as over at the Football Alum Pavilion bye the driveway running behind Stabler by the 'traffic circle'.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2021, 05:39 AM

In 2019 ticket sales were similar, and there were many unsold tickets in the NE section of Goodman Stadium, most likely from Lafayette's allotment.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2021, 06:54 AM
I will likely have one extra. As of right now, one of my two granddaughters may have some Girl Scout event. I will be at the "Kings of Tailgates" site (KOT flag flying), which is primarily Class of '74. We have great spread. 15 turkeys pressure cooked. We will be dressing them tomorrow afternoon. We usually get about 250-300 people. We do ask for a donation to a memorial fund for two of our passed captains Roger McMillan and Dan Mulholland. Money goes to the Lehigh Football Partnership. There are also usually some others walking around with an extra, as well as over at the Football Alum Pavilion bye the driveway running behind Stabler by the 'traffic circle'.

Or look down at the ground where I found my 2005 ticket with no one within 100 yards that morning. Game was sold out in advance and I couldnt get ticket so went early yo scope one near gate. Guy had a sign that said NEED 4 TIX and he crossed the number out as he copped them...3, 2 and I was following him around and asked him if I could have the sign after he got last one...no problem he said. At one point looking to close it out he walked way forward to the bus dropoff and I was following behind like 10 yards or so and there it was...Lehigh side! I walked Lehigh tailgates and one guy was hawking tickets and said to me "hey its your side..I told him lets trade and he said no, he wanted $10 premium. Im like nah i can sit anywhere but left him with "it will be easier for you to flip if its on your side" As I walked away he reconsidered the deal and we traded even up.

RichH2
November 19th, 2021, 10:26 AM
A toss up game I expect. There will be mistakes and odd bounces of the football. Who recovers best likely gets the W. Lehigh has shown that ability guite well over the last few games. Kudos to the staff and players. OL back at full health. Return of Gurth has stabilized the line. A solid unit. Not a great one but pretty good overall. After staff stubborness and failure to act, Lehigh has a servicable QB in Perri.Excellent RBs and a young talented WR group.If they can avoid drops a real factor for Saturday. Both TEs healthy is a bonus. Better blocking and Snyder is acdangerous weapon for Lehigh.
D is very young but with a lot of PT all through the 2 deep. Staff has to keep them focused on assignments not all the pregame hype.
LB unit is excellent with a healthy Haffner.
DL may be an issue missing Jablonski and Colton inside. Callahan's return helps but no depth behind Murphy.
A toss up. Think LU has the edge but not by much.
Lehigh 27-17

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Lehigh has a major edge in the mental game.

It will be close on the scoreboard but won’t be close on the field because Lehigh is still a bad team.

I stand by my 24-17 Lehigh pick.

Garrett should be gone even if he wins tomorrow: game planning, execution, team look way too disorganized. We regressed from early October.

LehighU11
November 19th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Sad to see much of Lafayette doesn't care about this game anymore. More than 700 tickets from their general allotment are still available, plus an additional 500 or so from the student allotment. Gonna be a whole lot of empty seats at midfield.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Sad to see much of Lafayette doesn't care about this game anymore. More than 700 tickets from their general allotment are still available, plus an additional 500 or so from the student allotment. Gonna be a whole lot of empty seats at midfield.

Would want to pay $30 for this disgrace? And can tailgate instead? Student tickets at ACC schools are free for basketball and football games. Should not be charging.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Would want to pay $30 for this disgrace? And can tailgate instead? Student tickets at ACC schools are free for basketball and football games. Should not be charging.

To be fair, are student tickets at ACC or any other conferences’ ROAD games free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2021, 09:14 PM
To be fair, are student tickets at ACC or any other conferences’ ROAD games free?

Good point, but that's only because the home team cannot satisfy their own student ticket demand. Our game is a little unique - stadium can fit them.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 06:21 AM
My youngest is at an ACC school. Tickets at home are not free for football or basketball.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Good point, but that's only because the home team cannot satisfy their own student ticket demand. Our game is a little unique - stadium can fit them.

Yes, I realize that 1) demand for the L-L game and 2) Lafayette’s proximity to Lehigh and vice-versa is why many students from the visiting school attend the game. I’m just pointing out that having a not insignificant sized student ticket allotment for the visiting team and making those tickets free is an uncommon, probably very uncommon, situation. I’m guessing, using an ACC example, North Carolina doesn’t have a visiting team, free student ticket allotment when they host N.C. State or Duke in football or vice-versa.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2021, 09:06 AM
My youngest is at an ACC school. Tickets at home are not free for football or basketball.

They are at the handful I know. Probably built into student fees.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Yes, I realize that 1) demand for the L-L game and 2) Lafayette’s proximity to Lehigh and vice-versa is why many students from the visiting school attend the game. I’m just pointing out that having a not insignificant sized student ticket allotment for the visiting team and making those tickets free is an uncommon, probably very uncommon, situation. I’m guessing, using an ACC example, North Carolina doesn’t have a visiting team, free student ticket allotment when they host N.C. State or Duke in football or vice-versa.

Yes Carolina has free student tickets for football and basketball including Duke game, but you have to enter a lottery. Football are easier to get. If you are caught scalping it’s big trouble.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Any change of sentiment around here? Still think Pards get hammered. Only saw Pards Rule and Lehigh98 pick Lafayette.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 09:27 AM
I'll take Lehigh 21-17

If a loss meant Gilmore would be "forced out" then I'd happily take it. The reality is, neither coach should be employed after today by either school....

RichH2
November 20th, 2021, 09:41 AM
Cant disagree owl. I'll stick with 27-17. This'll be the 2nd game I've missed since '63. A bit bittersweet.
Will give props to TG and staff for building a resilient culture with these kids through the overlong streak of Ls( which I do blame staff for).

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Lafayette 23 - Lehigh 21
Lafayette will run.
Over the season, Lafayette has been bad but in our own mundane way.
Lehigh has made history.
I believe in Gilmore.
Lafayette will prevail!

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Yes Carolina has free student tickets for football and basketball including Duke game, but you have to enter a lottery. Football are easier to get. If you are caught scalping it’s big trouble.

North Carolina allows N.C. State or Duke students to attend N.C. State/UNC or Duke/UNC football games in Chapel Hill for free?

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Any change of sentiment around here? Still think Pards get hammered. Only saw Pards Rule and Lehigh98 pick Lafayette.

Nope. We have zero momentum. I hope I’m wrong.

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Davis is out for LC?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 11:45 AM
TD Lehigh! Great drive capped with an awesome throw by Perri on the last play of the first quarter...

Lehigh 7-0 End of 1Q

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 12:05 PM
1 yard run by Sutton. 7-7. LC still sleep walking though.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Can’t tell: Is Davis out or coach’s decision?

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Missed the first 10 or so minutes of the game, but saw the good touchdown drives by Lehigh and then Lafayette. Very competitive so far.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 12:11 PM
If Garrett made the decision, kudos to him, win or lose. We need that kind of thinking. Nothing against Davis but this is supposed to matter.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:17 PM
OT: score of possible interest to some of you/us:

D3 playoffs, first round

Muhlenberg 24 Framingham State 0

Half

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Lehigh with a blocked punt for a TD!! Their 5th of the year!

Lehigh 14-7 3:00 2Q

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Lehigh had three guys come through on that punt block that turned into a LU touchdown.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Great kickoff return for Lafayette with 15 yards added on a Lehigh penalty. The Leopards have a golden opportunity to tie the game again.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:26 PM
If I were Lafayette, I would have gone for it on 4th and 3 at the 20 yard line.

The Leopards cut the Lehigh lead 14-10 with a 37 yard FG.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Burbage gets lit up on the return and fumbles!! Lafayette ball with time to do damage...

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Lehigh fumbled on the ensuing kickoff return, Lafayette recovers, will take over just inside the LU 30 yard line.

I bet nobody expected each team to score and for LC to threaten again when the Leopards lined up for that punt when it was 7-7.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 12:30 PM
Lehigh fumbled on the ensuing kickoff return, Lafayette recovers, will take over just inside the LU 30 yard line.

I bet nobody expected each team to score and for LC to threaten again when the Leopards lined up for that punt when it was 7-7.

Lehigh has made mistake after mistake....

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 12:32 PM
If we could get just ONE block by our oline!!!!

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Definite win for Lehigh to only give up 3 points on the last two possessions (long LC kickoff return + penalty after LU punt block for touchdown, Lehigh fumble and Lafayette recovery on the ensuing Leopards kickoff).

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 12:36 PM
If we could get just ONE block by our oline!!!!

Lehigh’s defense has done a good job on the Lafayette screen passes.

I agree with the Lafayette announcers the Leopards should try some 15+ yard passes down the field to try to loosen up the defense.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Can Lehigh make as many bad plays in the second half?
If we have learned anything, if history has taught us anything …
yes they can!

RichH2
November 20th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Mistakes have kept Pards in this game. But, not unexpected. Need more Discipline and fewer dropped passes a key in the 3rd.
Expect a nerve wracking 2nd half.

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Lehigh’s defense has done a good job on the Lafayette screen passes.

I agree with the Lafayette announcers the Leopards should try some 15+ yard passes down the field to try to loosen up the defense.

…and our Oline are sloths.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 12:56 PM
…and our Oline are sloths.

Big guys who can't move. The Lehigh broadcast crew even said so much...lol

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 01:02 PM
A wry sportswriter once referred to a Pard line about 30 years ago as “the five lumps of pasta,” not the legendary blocks of granite.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Whelp, apparently Garrett was able to transform the 'Pard Sloths into the WFT Hogs during half. Lafayette is running it right down Lehigh's throat....

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:24 PM
Lafayette’s inability to throw the ball was the story of the 3rd quarter. The Leopards had the ball most of the quarter but scored 0 points during the quarter.

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 01:25 PM
28 seniors and we can’t finish a drive. SMH

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Lehigh's offense has reverted to early season form while Lafayette's offense can't get yards when it matters. The 'Pards could easily be up 2 scores right now. They've dominated the last 25 minutes of play....

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:34 PM
D3 update of possible interest:

Muhlenberg 45 Framingham State 0

Final

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:36 PM
D3 update of possible interest:

Muhlenberg 45 Framingham State 0

Final

Cortland beat Springfield 26-21

Delaware Valley rolled if the score I saw updated correctly.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Lehigh's offense has reverted to early season form while Lafayette's offense can't get yards when it matters. The 'Pards could easily be up 2 scores right now. They've dominated the last 25 minutes of play....

Lafayette could be up two scores right now if they could pass the ball. But they can’t. Lehigh’s defense deserves credit too.

Lehigh’s offense hasn’t done much outside of their touchdown drive, but that plus the punt block are enough for them to be winning this game right now.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Cortland beat Springfield 26-21

Delaware Valley rolled if the score I saw updated correctly.

They did (last I saw they were winning 55-10). Muhlenberg and Delaware Valley will likely play just outside of Doylestown next Saturday.

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 01:40 PM
This is so frustrating to watch. The game is there for the taking. Both O and D look clueless.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Perri is a solid QB but the OL remains subpar the play calling is so boring. Try somethin!! A trick play for a big play!!

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:42 PM
This is so frustrating to watch. The game is there for the taking. Both O and D look clueless.

This is what happens when a 3-7 team plays a 2-8 team.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Two big pass plays gets the Lehigh offense to the shadow of the goal line.

This is where the Mountain Hawks’ inability to run the ball could hurt them. Of course, you can’t run when you don’t try to run.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Two big pass plays gets the Lehigh offense to the shadow of the goal line.

This is where the Mountain Hawks’ inability to run the ball could hurt them. Of course, you can’t run when you don’t try to run.

Steve Degler just said they have to run it! Ugh...'Pards made some good defensive plays to break up passes. Still, run the damn ball!!

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Lehigh should have run the ball on at least one of those goal to go plays from the 3 yard line IMO. They do get the FG, but it’s still a one score game.

One other comment - I’ve never been a fan of the wide hash marks in college football. It makes short field goals unfairly hard because of the tight angle.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 01:49 PM
If Lehigh does win this game, holding Lafayette to 3 points on those two late 2nd quarter possessions when LC started their possessions deep in Mountain Hawks territory may be the key sequence of the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Lafayette should either hand it off or throw to the monster TE. Lehigh can't stop either...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Lafayette with another failed 4th down attempt! Lehigh ball with 4 minutes left....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Lafayette roughs the kicker with two minutes left! Lehigh 1st down...that should do it...pards have one timeout left...

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Special teams were a big factor in this game, mostly in Lehigh’s favor:

*Lafayette blocked punt becomes Lehigh touchdown

*Lafayette misses late 2nd quarter FG attempt

*Lafayette running into the kicker penalty on 4th and less than 5 yards on Lehigh punt attempt

The Leopards did have a long kickoff return in the second quarter and did make a 37 yard FG, but those other plays were killers for Lafayette.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Lehigh wins 17-10!

Garrett should be forced to resign at midfield....lol

IslandPard
November 20th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Lehigh wins 17-10!

Garrett should be forced to resign at midfield....lol

Nothing would make me happier right now.

RichH2
November 20th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Ugly game but Lehigh D wins it. Mistakes and bounces galore but Lehigh got the better of them.
Kudos to players and staff. Not much chane that Tom gets sacked but weccan hope for a new OC perhaps.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Well done Lehigh. They were the better team.
The only good that can come of this is the end of Garrett’s tenure.

“Creating a Championship Culture.”

Freeman too should go.

What do we have to lose?

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2021, 02:49 PM
Garrett should no longer be coaching Lafayette today after what we saw and how the year went.

Yeah kudos to Lehigh and they played motivated and won, but how badly did Lafayette bungle this game?

The aggravating thing is we knew the script and it happened as we all expected.

And both teams managed ONE offensive touchdown.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Lafayette fans have O’Hanlon ball to look forward to … three pointers, meaningless substitutions and rotation switches, and when a “big” guy makes a basket inside, he gets taken out.
i think we’re 0-4 … 0-5?

Anyway if the school doesn’t give a damn neither do I. I’ll come back when there is a new coach.

CREATING A CHAMPIONSHIP CULTURE!

No.

The train has stopped and they don’t want to fix it. Instead, let’s just close the curtains and pretend it’s moving.

LUHawker
November 20th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Missed most of the first quarter because of Lehigh’s ridiculous noon start times, but apparently I didn’t really miss much. Fairly boring game, especially with Lehigh’s many 3 and outs and LC’s controlling the ball for most of the second half. What happened to Davis?

Both Gilmore and Garrett need to go. Lehigh’s wins are over 1 win G’Town and Bucky and 3 win Lafayette. Pretty sad state of affairs. Garrett is taking Lafayette nowhere fast.

Digby
November 20th, 2021, 04:49 PM
I concur. Both must go.
Neither team beat anybody good.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Congrats to Lehigh. I would’ve congratted the Pards,too.

ngineer
November 20th, 2021, 09:14 PM
Well, I was at the game and got back late after some celebrating. I've scanned the thread and was surprised to see no one mentioned what I considered a huge point in the game that if it not had occurred may have turned it into a more solid Lehigh win. The personal foul/roughing the passer penalty that our star LB got on 3rd and long, on a pass thrown out of bounds, giving the 'pards the ball back, plus 15 yds and first down led to their only TD drive. If that penalty does not occur, Lehigh gets the ball at midfield, and at the time was moving it well. scoring on the next possession would have changed the complexion of the game..Granted one is assuming Lehigh would have scored on the next possession, but that was one of the biggest mistakes that I was afraid we would make, as we have done it repeatedly in the recent past, including earlier this year.

Regardless, I was not happy with the Lehigh's play calling. First and goal at the 3 and no running play???!! A few times we gained 5 yards running on first down, and then passed the next. To me if you are getting 5 yards a pop you keep feeding the backs until they get stopped. I fully agree we need an OC with some imagination who can read what's going on. DiPietro got MVP as he had direct hands in both Lehigh TDs: catching the TD pass in the first quarter and blocking the punt in the second that turned into a TD. I have been impressed with our Special Teams coach this this year. He's in his second year with us and he has had an impact. Defense played very well considering how long they were on the field. 'pards must have run 20 more plays and their OL outweighed our DL by almost 50 lbs/man. Of course, you need mobility, too, and I loved that our DC kept dialing up pressure on LC's QB. Perri had a solid game and showed good poise; though I don't know how he did not see wide open Burbage (#3) at the 10 yard line with no one within 20 yards in the firsts quarter. I thought LC was too conservative in both the O and D play calling. LC has a nice TE in Stalianotos, but the calls were repeated. He caught a lot of balls but averaged only 5 yards a catch. I don't recall him being sent over the middle. I don't recall LC calling very many blitzes, which is surprising to me in this game. This is one game where you take some chances/shots...though the once chance they did take on trying to block our punt with about 5 min left in game was questionable, as the miss and resultant penalty of running into kicker pretty much sealed their fate.
I will be shocked if Gilmore does not return. I went down on the field afterward, and you can tell the guys are stoked already for next year. We have a lot coming back. With a more experienced squad, I can see some of this year's losses turned around and some games become competitive when a break or two can steal you a win. You have to respect the ability of this team to weather those eight horrendous weeks, not quit or 'tune out' the coaches, but continue to grind and improve. I figured out that since my freshman year, Lehigh is 33-18 in The Rivalry. I don't know if we can catch the 'pards by the time I check-out (we are down 72-80-5)unless they go into a real tailspin, but one can only hope. This will make the winter warmer...Now bring on wrestling!

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 09:25 PM
Well, I was at the game and got back late after some celebrating...Now bring on wrestling!

One thing is for sure - with the starts both teams have had so far this season, no one at either Lehigh OR Lafayette is going to say "bring on men's basketball!" xsmhx

ngineer
November 20th, 2021, 09:38 PM
One thing is for sure - with the starts both teams have had so far this season, no one at either Lehigh OR Lafayette is going to say "bring on men's basketball!" xsmhx

I wouldn't get upset, yet. The season is early and I actually felt they played fairly well versus Rutgers and Monmouth. NJIT? No idea what happened there, of course they may have improved their program in recent years, but they have no 'pedigree' that makes people respect them. I think Lehigh will be competitive in the PL this year.

CHIP72
November 20th, 2021, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't get upset, yet. The season is early and I actually felt they played fairly well versus Rutgers and Monmouth. NJIT? No idea what happened there, of course they may have improved their program in recent years, but they have no 'pedigree' that makes people respect them. I think Lehigh will be competitive in the PL this year.

The funny thing is I think Brett Reed has generally done a good job in his tenure (what, about 15 years?!?) at Lehigh but the Mountain Hawks have slid back the last 2-3 years. In some ways this isn't dissimilar to what happened with Fran O'Hanlon at Lafayette, who was really good, probably even better than Reed, his first decade or so on College Hill but has only been so-so for most of the last 15 years. Reed's career arc at Lehigh is also similar to Bruiser Flint's at Drexel; Bruiser did a really good job in University City, Philadelphia for his first decade but lost the touch his last 3-4 years there. If Reed can't turn things around, it may be an indication that his successful period at Lehigh will have run its course.

ngineer
November 20th, 2021, 10:46 PM
The funny thing is I think Brett Reed has generally done a good job in his tenure (what, about 15 years?!?) at Lehigh but the Mountain Hawks have slid back the last 2-3 years. In some ways this isn't dissimilar to what happened with Fran O'Hanlon at Lafayette, who was really good, probably even better than Reed, his first decade or so on College Hill but has only been so-so for most of the last 15 years. Reed's career arc at Lehigh is also similar to Bruiser Flint's at Drexel; Bruiser did a really good job in University City, Philadelphia for his first decade but lost the touch his last 3-4 years there. If Reed can't turn things around, it may be an indication that his successful period at Lehigh will have run its course.

Can't disagree with the general observation; however, basketball is a funny sport wherein one major recruit can change your program's projection almost overnight and for 3-4 years. Lehigh has never been a bball school--with few exceptions: the hey day of Queenan and Polaha, a few blips in the late 90's, a couple spikes with Billy Taylor, and then Reed, who landed CJ. I my day Lehigh was a perennial doormat. My senior year we won 1 game. The Brown & White in a spoof edition reported that the team's shooting percentage increased 30% when the campus had a sudden power outage during a game at old Grace Hall. Reed is a good face for the University. He's articulate, has a great rapport with the players and their families and demands academic discipline. For some reason he has trouble recruiting a 'big guy'. We've had a good number of nice ball handlers and shooters, but we typically lose games on the boards. I heard Reed had a some opportunities to 'move up' to some midwestern schools when we had our good run with CJ, but that he preferred to stay at Lehigh.

crusader11
November 21st, 2021, 06:43 AM

Chris Pincince is another name to look at. He's done well at New Haven and understands the FCS landscape very well with stops at Holy Cross, Elon, Rhode Island, and Brown.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2021, 08:40 AM

However Lehigh lost to Merrimack by 10 on Friday. I cannot believe they are any good.

Meanwhile Colgate beat Syracuse 100-85… Lafayette lost to Syracuse by 30.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2021, 08:54 AM
Chris Pincince is another name to look at. He's done well at New Haven and understands the FCS landscape very well with stops at Holy Cross, Elon, Rhode Island, and Brown.

Good coach has D-II New Haven in the 2nd round of the playoffs this year (and for his second time overall). Has done a great job there after taking over for Pete Rossomondo who left UNH for the CCSU job in 2014.

Also, Chris is the older brother of CCSU interim AD Tom Pincince. UNH has been rumored to be an expansion candidate for the NEC.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2021, 09:12 AM
The more I reflect on this game, the more angry I am feeling. Considering:

- Our QB was 15-19 at one point "gee he sounds like he's killing it! Does he have 200 yards and some TDs?" Nope - 77 yards... 5 yards per pass! He ended 24-36 for 133 yards... 7 yards per pass!

- This was not our QB's first ever game. He can throw a 40-yard ball accurately... AND WE DO NOT THROW ONE BALL into the end zone. We definitely had one, maybe two pass attempts more than 15-20 yards the entire game.

- We advanced the ball to the Lehigh 20, 22, 27, 30, 19 on five of six drives... THREE POINTS!!

- Late in the second quarter really cost us the game - Garrett wasted time, and even the announcers did not understand what he was doing

- During those deep LC drives, we were 2nd and short several times... and we lose yards by stupid play calling

- Too many passes and plays to the flats... we do not have the speed, and Lehigh was ready for it... it really cost us deep in their territory

- Our missed FGA was not even close (ok cannot blame coaching on everything) but after this, we do not attempt any more FGs

I cannot even admit "yeah Lehigh is a good team and they really executed today, we did not play our game"... NO! Lehigh was an awful team and we played down to their level, and we played our game, which is utter offensive incompetence. Lehigh beat us where it counted - commitment and belief - they were jacked up the entire game.

If Lafayette had even the slightest hint of offensive competence today, we win by 10 points. If we were very offensively competent (good execution all year) - I'm not even talking about 'great team winning the PL' - we win by 21 points. I seriously believe that.

TheGame
November 21st, 2021, 12:32 PM
What's worse than ****ting the bed against Lehigh?

Doing it with a decent roster knowing we're going to suck even more next year.

Lafayette got a LOT of breaks against a 2-8 team. Didn't matter.

If 'Pards don't get "lucky" with the 2nd quarter roughing the passer call and the closest 4th down spot I've ever seen in my life - then this isn't even a game. Instead it was a game, it was a horrendous football game. We are all worse for having watched it.

Lehigh easily winning the next meeting - graduation is decimating the 'Pards on both lines. They actually had a decent roster. Didn't matter.

Garrett's entire career has been characterized by moving around. It is just our luck he decided Easton was the place he was going to lay down roots.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2021, 04:24 PM
Parking lots looked full - good tailgate action but the attendance was 12,200. That's probably the lowest for a Goodman Lafayette game.

Game time start was too early. Comical what the stands looked like through the first quarter. Is this an ESPN or Lehigh problem?

Also, I was very disappointed that there were no game programs for sale. I was not the only person - lots of Lehigh people were confused too. I have a game program from every Lehigh game I have attended. The game programs are quasi-works of art and collector pieces. Way to go Lehigh... another reason why it's a pathetic school.

NY Crusader 2010
November 21st, 2021, 04:33 PM
The more I reflect on this game, the more angry I am feeling. Considering:

- Our QB was 15-19 at one point "gee he sounds like he's killing it! Does he have 200 yards and some TDs?" Nope - 77 yards... 5 yards per pass! He ended 24-36 for 133 yards... 7 yards per pass!

- This was not our QB's first ever game. He can throw a 40-yard ball accurately... AND WE DO NOT THROW ONE BALL into the end zone. We definitely had one, maybe two pass attempts more than 15-20 yards the entire game.

- We advanced the ball to the Lehigh 20, 22, 27, 30, 19 on five of six drives... THREE POINTS!!

- Late in the second quarter really cost us the game - Garrett wasted time, and even the announcers did not understand what he was doing

- During those deep LC drives, we were 2nd and short several times... and we lose yards by stupid play calling

- Too many passes and plays to the flats... we do not have the speed, and Lehigh was ready for it... it really cost us deep in their territory

- Our missed FGA was not even close (ok cannot blame coaching on everything) but after this, we do not attempt any more FGs

I cannot even admit "yeah Lehigh is a good team and they really executed today, we did not play our game"... NO! Lehigh was an awful team and we played down to their level, and we played our game, which is utter offensive incompetence. Lehigh beat us where it counted - commitment and belief - they were jacked up the entire game.

If Lafayette had even the slightest hint of offensive competence today, we win by 10 points. If we were very offensively competent (good execution all year) - I'm not even talking about 'great team winning the PL' - we win by 21 points. I seriously believe that.

Seems like this is the 5th straight week that Lehigh's opponent has felt this way. It seems fairly clear now that their offense somehow started clicking heading into the Fordham game. And their defense was OK this year. Even during their historically bad open to the season, their D was at worst a little bit below average.

Congrats to Tom Gilmore on the Lafayette win and strong finish to the season. I believe he'll definitely be back next year but still believe it's time to move on after the contract is up. And take the league finish with a grain of salt. A strong ending to a season has not always predicted a strong start to the following season when it comes to Gilmore. We learned that during the Peter Pujals era at HC.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2021, 04:53 PM
Parking lots looked full - good tailgate action but the attendance was 12,200. That's probably the lowest for a Goodman Lafayette game.

Game time start was too early. Comical what the stands looked like through the first quarter. Is this an ESPN or Lehigh problem?

Also, I was very disappointed that there were no game programs for sale. I was not the only person - lots of Lehigh people were confused too. I have a game program from every Lehigh game I have attended. The game programs are quasi-works of art and collector pieces. Way to go Lehigh... another reason why it's a pathetic school.

There was the same issue with the late arriving crowd in 2019. I think it’s a “people go crazy tailgating” problem, specific to the L-L game.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2021, 05:02 PM

ESPN+ will show it any time. Same for SE2 and LSN. Put the blame on Lehigh for not wanting the risk of playing at dusk.

Still don't see why a 3:30 or 7:00 start wouldn't be a better move, at least in Easton. And at some point, the Luddites of the PL have to make stadium lights a league requirement.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2021, 07:23 PM
ESPN+ will show it any time. Same for SE2 and LSN. Put the blame on Lehigh for not wanting the risk of playing at dusk.

Still don't see why a 3:30 or 7:00 start wouldn't be a better move, at least in Easton. And at some point, the Luddites of the PL have to make stadium lights a league requirement.

Still does not make sense though... every Lafayette game at Lehigh has started at 12:30PM and the sun is not setting any differently.

Starting that late would not be great. This is not a rabid B10 school where alumni and fans will show up whatever the time. Yankee Stadium at 330PM worked ok though. But when it's in Easton, 1PM is the perfect time - enough time to tailgate and drink, game wraps up by 4PM, and then it's dark and cold(er). 7PM is a problem because tailgating would not be easy. 3:30 would be ok but then it's dark in one hour... I'm just not a fan of 3:30 games generally.

ngineer
November 21st, 2021, 10:16 PM
There was the same issue with the late arriving crowd in 2019. I think it’s a “people go crazy tailgating” problem, specific to the L-L game.

All Lehigh's home games this year started at 12 noon. I didn't get the 'no program' policy this year. It was for all home games. They sent season ticket holders an electronic one, and there were bar codes posted around the stadium to scan to access the program. I agree, there should have been glossy paper programs so people could continue their souvenirs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2021, 11:05 PM
I remember when the game started at 11 am (??) for at least one year following the 1991 riot.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2021, 06:19 AM

Agreed on both points strongly P4L! I mean they even had a 4 page program with rosters for the April Covid game! I collect them all too - so now I have 41 not 42. And the 12 noon start sucked (better than the 11AM yesterday in 1981, that classic 10-3 win in Russo's first season on the Hill, 40 years ago). And its an ESPN problem according to Mr Sell. AND the most insane thing - because of ESPN the folks in the stands could NOT watch replays!!! WTH! What ESPN wants us to stream live on our phones while in the stands?! GTFOOH! BTW I walked yesterday morning at the old Taylor Field grounds remembering that great game 40 years ago at the exact hour it began at 11AM. I ddint know there was a nice courtyard area with the treasured entrance header to the stadium preserved on the grass bank. I also remember a mid rise dorm that faced our visitors side that game. It was immortalized in the end of game picture with Bill Russo (RIP) being carried on the shoulders of two players. There was a banner hanging between the end windows clearly readable (reflecting that era): NUKE THE LEOPARDS. It seems to have been demoed for that Ziegler Arts Center? And what is the building they are building at Morton & Webster Sts? I understand the one going catty corner to old Taylor site is where the relo Rausch Business Center will be (talking to a Marching 97 frosh with his mother from Kansas!) and converting that into medical school space. This game was not as bad as 2018, but 2018 was too early to cost JG his job.

LehighU11
November 22nd, 2021, 07:11 AM
Agreed on both points strongly P4L! I mean they even had a 4 page program with rosters for the April Covid game! I collect them all too - so now I have 41 not 42. And the 12 noon start sucked (better than the 11AM yesterday in 1981, that classic 10-3 win in Russo's first season on the Hill, 40 years ago). And its an ESPN problem according to Mr Sell. AND the most insane thing - because of ESPN the folks in the stands could NOT watch replays!!! WTH! What ESPN wants us to stream live on our phones while in the stands?! GTFOOH! BTW I walked yesterday morning at the old Taylor Field grounds remembering that great game 40 years ago at the exact hour it began at 11AM. I ddint know there was a nice courtyard area with the treasured entrance header to the stadium preserved on the grass bank. I also remember a mid rise dorm that faced our visitors side that game. It was immortalized in the end of game picture with Bill Russo (RIP) being carried on the shoulders of two players. There was a banner hanging between the end windows clearly readable (reflecting that era): NUKE THE LEOPARDS. It seems to have been demoed for that Ziegler Arts Center? And what is the building they are building at Morton & Webster Sts? I understand the one going catty corner to old Taylor site is where the relo Rausch Business Center will be (talking to a Marching 97 frosh with his mother from Kansas!) and converting that into medical school space. This game was not as bad as 2018, but 2018 was too early to cost JG his job.
The new Health, Science, and Technology building (195,000 sq ft) is at the corner of Morton & Webster, and will be home to the new College of Health (not a medical school). The 74,000 sq ft. building going in catty corner from Rauch is for the College of Business, which will also remain housed in Rauch.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2021, 09:13 AM
The new Health, Science, and Technology building (195,000 sq ft) is at the corner of Morton & Webster, and will be home to the new College of Health (not a medical school). The 74,000 sq ft. building going in catty corner from Rauch is for the College of Business, which will also remain housed in Rauch.
Ok thx LU11. I guess the frosh got it mixed up. So, I was exposed early yesterday afternnon to new collegespeak about the rivalry: to wit, standing at the LU Saxby's Coffee on Sunday waiting for my coffee and a co-ed asked the co-ed barista "So, how was your Leh-Laf?"...AND for the first time in years, probably since the late 80s, a dude barfed in the row behind me. Obviously, he was an older alum (like me) as we were in the white hair (for me) or no hair or fake hair (didnt see one) section. I didnt see it happen but the guy next to me said he barfed right after the blocked punt for TD play! If that doesnt make a Pard barf, right? Apparently his friend escorted him out, both to never return (please cue Odd Couple theme here).

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2021, 09:18 AM
I remember when the game started at 11 am (??) for at least one year following the 1991 riot.

Possibly. That would have been 92 in Easton. The 32-29 win by Pards. I would have to find my program (hey where the hell were they this year) to which every year I staple my ticket (with game time) to the back cover, except this year. I asked an LU guy at the services tent to confirm what I saw posted at the sales shack that you can get it online. After I explained how I save those as souvenoirs, he said yeah Im getting A LOT of that and I think were going back (to printed ones) next year.

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2021, 05:53 PM

This is decidedly a Lehigh problem. A noon start?! Are you kidding me! Lehigh has had its head in its arsch for years with these early start times in general. $2.8 Billion Endowment - we can afford lights! 1pm start would be fine, but noon is ridiculous.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2021, 06:16 PM
This is decidedly a Lehigh problem. A noon start?! Are you kidding me! Lehigh has had its head in its arsch for years with these early start times in general. $2.8 Billion Endowment - we can afford lights! 1pm start would be fine, but noon is ridiculous.

This was an ESPN edict...just like NO replays on scoreboard during game. NONE!

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2021, 06:24 PM
This was an ESPN edict...just like NO replays on scoreboard during game. NONE!

I dunno which Hawkineer said it, but I agree the game can be played whenever and it will be streamed. It's only live locally and the ESPN stream is one of dozens of games. 150 started at 330PM I think to accomodate CBS, which made sense.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2021, 06:26 PM

It's not the field... it's the path to the field and the parking lot that's the problem I was told...

CHIP72
November 22nd, 2021, 08:46 PM
It's not the field... it's the path to the field and the parking lot that's the problem I was told...

I suspect that actually is the problem in all seriousness.

Having said that, if they were able to find a way to put lights in and near at the Erector Set out in Mountains, Cows, and Hay Fields Country in the middle of nowhere central Pennsylvania, they can find a way to put lights in without destroying the grass or having people tripping over and killing themselves at Goodman Stadium too.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2021, 09:02 PM

We can afford lights. They just don't want them. Further Lehigh's endowment is about half that 2.8B figure. Noon start has been in place all season. Nothing new. No one complained all year that I heard. I agree that 1 p.m. would be better. Those of us involved in big tailgates could use the extra hour in the a.m.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2021, 09:10 PM
I suspect that actually is the problem in all seriousness.

Having said that, if they were able to find a way to put lights in and near at the Erector Set out in Mountains, Cows, and Hay Fields Country in the middle of nowhere central Pennsylvania, they can find a way to put lights in without destroying the grass or having people tripping over and killing themselves at Goodman Stadium too.

The school isn't going to spend money to put lights all over the fields beyond the parking lots to be used only 5 times a year. I am sure there are liability concerns over people getting hurt in the dark. Fisher Field is in an urban area with street lights all over. I prefer the Saturday afternoon game in our setting.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2021, 09:44 PM
What does Penn State do? Their stadium is in the middle of a field.

Bill
November 22nd, 2021, 10:11 PM

I'm sure as soon as Lehigh gets $53 million a year in conference payout money for all those TV games those lights will be up.xdrunkyx

ngineer
November 22nd, 2021, 10:15 PM

No idea. I have never been there and seen the layout. It's also possible that the the surrounding residential neighborhoods to the east and west would object to the increased vehicular and foot traffic. The soccer and lacrosse games played under the lights only draw about 500 people at the most and there is no real 'tailgating' occurring.

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2021, 05:36 AM
No idea. I have never been there and seen the layout. It's also possible that the the surrounding residential neighborhoods to the east and west would object to the increased vehicular and foot traffic. The soccer and lacrosse games played under the lights only draw about 500 people at the most and there is no real 'tailgating' occurring.

Driving through that neighboring residential development on Saturday AM, I recalled that was started in early 90s (as I drove thru the streets and houses were going up in 91 and 93). First time to Goodman in 1989, it was truly the middle of nowhere

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2021, 07:21 AM

I've been to Beaver Stadium a half dozen times, though I wasn't always the one driving/parking the car and I've only attended day games (or games that ended during daylight) when I was driving. The big danger there IMO is if you park in one of the acres of hay fields north of the stadium and need to walk along the main road (Park Avenue), which doesn't have sidewalks or I think lights, to get to/from the stadium. Once you are in the street/roadway block that contains the stadium there are no issues.

I know and understand why Lehigh does not want to put paved walkways in between the Stabler Arena parking lot and Goodman Stadium (would negatively impact the bucolic feeling of the Goodman Stadium experience), but IMO they should put a couple wide, paved (or at least semi-permeable) walkways in that area and light them. If Lehigh does that and puts lights in Goodman Stadium itself, it increases Goodman Stadium's operational flexibility. If nothing else, it also increases the likelihood Lehigh will be able to host playoff games when they become good again, whenever that happens.

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2021, 02:37 PM
I dunno which Hawkineer said it, but I agree the game can be played whenever and it will be streamed. It's only live locally and the ESPN stream is one of dozens of games. 150 started at 330PM I think to accomodate CBS, which made sense.

Pard4Life...please resend your PM. I cleaned my box

ngineer
November 23rd, 2021, 04:24 PM
I've been to Beaver Stadium a half dozen times, though I wasn't always the one driving/parking the car and I've only attended day games (or games that ended during daylight) when I was driving. The big danger there IMO is if you park in one of the acres of hay fields north of the stadium and need to walk along the main road (Park Avenue), which doesn't have sidewalks or I think lights, to get to/from the stadium. Once you are in the street/roadway block that contains the stadium there are no issues.

I know and understand why Lehigh does not want to put paved walkways in between the Stabler Arena parking lot and Goodman Stadium (would negatively impact the bucolic feeling of the Goodman Stadium experience), but IMO they should put a couple wide, paved (or at least semi-permeable) walkways in that area and light them. If Lehigh does that and puts lights in Goodman Stadium itself, it increases Goodman Stadium's operational flexibility. If nothing else, it also increases the likelihood Lehigh will be able to host playoff games when they become good again, whenever that happens.

They can't put pavements through those fields that are used for Intramural Sports. They are lined for soccer and touch football. You might be able gto pave a walkway from the field hockey area over to Goodman.