PDA

View Full Version : Hail Mary victory for South Dakota over SDSU

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Here's the video for those who haven't seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHRLiYloTY&ab_channel=MSGHighlights

Hammerhead
November 13th, 2021, 09:27 PM
Lots of bunny fans not happy with the play call to give USD one second to try the Hail Mary.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2021, 09:43 PM
Another angle (much better perspective than the TV angle) of it:
https://twitter.com/KELOBower/status/1459653509100421121

MTfan4life
November 13th, 2021, 09:56 PM
Another angle (much better perspective than the TV angle) of it:
https://twitter.com/KELOBower/status/1459653509100421121

Much better fan noise, too! My favorite is how the touchdown magically healed the guy with the crutches! xlolx

Roamingriz
November 13th, 2021, 10:03 PM
Don't tell that to the Bobcat healers..... I think I saw Ifanse posted up with a couple of those waiting for a signal....

Roamingriz
November 13th, 2021, 10:05 PM
Special awesome lucky play Coyotes, love it!

Bisonoline
November 14th, 2021, 12:01 AM
Stig over thought this one.

Libertine
November 14th, 2021, 01:33 AM
Step 1 of defending a Hail Mary: Bat the ball down. As in straight down. Toward the ground. If uncertain where the ground is, look toward your feet. That direction is "down".
Step 2 of defending a Hail Mary: Celebrate victory.

If Step 1 is neglected, there is no need for Step 2.

Laker
November 14th, 2021, 08:10 AM
I was listening to the end of this game. Had the feeling that something odd was going to happen when they put one second back on the clock.

Unbelievable ending.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2021, 08:26 AM

xnodx

POD Knows
November 14th, 2021, 09:08 AM
He only brings his A game when they play the Bison. How in the hell do you lose a game when the other team only has one time out left and you are first and ten at mid field with less than two minutes left.

TribeNomad1
November 14th, 2021, 09:48 AM
He only brings his A game when they play the Bison. How in the hell do you lose a game when the other team only has one time out left and you are first and ten at mid field with less than two minutes left.

Saw the end of the game sequence. Makes me feel better about London's game management.

JacksFan40
November 14th, 2021, 10:08 AM
It’s the SDSU speciality. Always show glimpses of how dominant this team could be, like when we steamrolled a solid MWC team, and beat NDSU. Followed by inexplicable losses that would’ve gotten a coach fired at programs who actually want to win.

We’ve peaked as a program under Stig. Our best season was a national runner up that has a giant asterisk next to it.

Schism55
November 14th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Lots of bunny fans not happy with the play call to give USD one second to try the Hail Mary.

As well they should be. Just an unmitigated coaching and execution disaster.

Chalupa Batman
November 14th, 2021, 10:25 AM
Step 1 of defending a Hail Mary: Bat the ball down. As in straight down. Toward the ground. If uncertain where the ground is, look toward your feet. That direction is "down".
Step 2 of defending a Hail Mary: Celebrate victory.

If Step 1 is neglected, there is no need for Step 2.

I put this in another thread, but I think players get heat for not knocking the ball down more often than they should. I think they’re almost always trying to do that, but if you can’t get your hands on top of the ball a lot of times it bounces up or to the side instead of down. Not saying that’s what happened here or not, this is more or a general observation, but I don’t think it’s quite as simple as it may seem.

Defenders want to high point the ball before any offensive players can get their mitts on it, which makes it difficult to get their hands on top of the ball and swat it down. Often times defenders are also leaning backwards which makes it harder to knock it down. There’s a lot of fighting for position and/or hand fighting going on while waiting for the ball and a player might get his arms up late, only in time to knock it back up or sideways.

As others have said SDSU should’ve never even found themselves in that position to begin with. It’s mind bottling how they lost that game after picking up that final first down.

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Saw a tweet from Trevor Gebhardt that teams are now 2-8 the week after playing NDSU. Only teams to buck the trend are Missouri St and Illinois St.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2021, 11:23 AM

Because he’s motivated by free drinks

Paladin1aa
November 14th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Because he’s motivated by free drinks

Ill drink to that !

Classic coaching ****** up

ElCid
November 14th, 2021, 03:30 PM
I obviously saw the replay, everywhere, but what kind of coach calls timeouts when you have the lead, the team you are beating has no timeouts left and all you have to do is run out the clock on two rushing plays? This sort of boggles my mind. Can someone explain, I mean seriously explain and not just say he is an idiot. Was he just trying to prolong the agony for SD? The entire episode does not compute.

Bisonoline
November 14th, 2021, 03:45 PM
I obviously saw the replay, everywhere, but what kind of coach calls timeouts when you have the lead, the team you are beating has no timeouts left and all you have to do is run out the clock on two rushing plays? This sort of boggles my mind. Can someone explain, I mean seriously explain and not just say he is an idiot. Was he just trying to prolong the agony for SD? The entire episode does not compute.

The answer to your question is---Its Stig. He does a lot of crazy ****.

ElCid
November 14th, 2021, 04:19 PM
The answer to your question is---Its Stig. He does a lot of crazy ****.

Well, while I'm sorry for players and fans, he apparently got what was coming to him then.

POD Knows
November 14th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Holy Nutmeg. I have watched that Hail Mary at least a dozen times already. It will never get old.

Daytripper
November 14th, 2021, 06:06 PM
I watched it and I have one question. Why were any of the SDSU defenders not in the end zone? They had to score. The was obviously falling short of the goal line. I know the instinct is to play the ball, but in this one specific situation the smart play is stay on the goal line. Even if the Coyote player catches it he will be facing the line of scrimmage with no momentum to the end zone. Just tackle him when he catches the ball in the field of play.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2021, 08:35 PM
I watched it and I have one question. Why were any of the SDSU defenders not in the end zone? They had to score. The was obviously falling short of the goal line. I know the instinct is to play the ball, but in this one specific situation the smart play is stay on the goal line. Even if the Coyote player catches it he will be facing the line of scrimmage with no momentum to the end zone. Just tackle him when he catches the ball in the field of play.

that, and instead of 3 man rush why not bring 5, just pop the the QB your back 6 will still have time to react to the ball with all that hang time

ElCid
November 14th, 2021, 09:02 PM
Yeah preventing the hail Mary is one thing, but I still can't figure on how they got to that point without some seriously bad and bizarre decisions. Should have never gotten to that point in the first place. Always fun to see it executed successfully, but geez.

Sundog
November 14th, 2021, 10:47 PM
Schadenfreude!

100%GRIZ
November 15th, 2021, 09:17 AM
I watched the entire game until I thought it was over. *****!!!

Mfergy4
November 15th, 2021, 09:23 AM
SDSU QB should never have thrown the Ball out of bounds...another reverse of direction and two more steps and that's the game....hell run it back to the 1 yard line and take a knee would have worked better.

ElCid
November 15th, 2021, 09:28 AM
SDSU QB should never have thrown the Ball out of bounds...another reverse of direction and two more steps and that's the game....hell run it back to the 1 yard line and take a knee would have worked better.

Or their coach could have not called two time outs and that play would have not been necessary either. I'm still waiting for someone to tell why he called time outs with the game won. I guess mental illness is the only explanation.

Mfergy4
November 15th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Or their coach could have not called two time outs and that play would have not been necessary either. I'm still waiting for someone to tell why he called time outs with the game won. I guess mental illness is the only explanation.

There is no explaining Stig's decision making....maybe he missed his 4th quarter portion his vodka. QB should be just as aware of the time situation as the coach too.

JacksFan40
November 15th, 2021, 10:07 AM
There is no explaining Stig's decision making....maybe he missed his 4th quarter portion his vodka. QB should be just as aware of the time situation as the coach too.

I expect more from a coach who has been at the helm since 1997, versus a QB who is in his early 20s. Oladokun made a dumb decision, and had played an awful game up to that point, but the incompetence of Stig is inexcusable.

Mfergy4
November 15th, 2021, 10:24 AM
I expect more from a coach who has been at the helm since 1997, versus a QB who is in his early 20s. Oladokun made a dumb decision, and had played an awful game up to that point, but the incompetence of Stig is inexcusable.
Could not agree more with you but he is all yours, enjoy.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 10:36 AM
I believe he called them with one second on the play clock to avoid a delay of game. If you ask me why he cared if they got a delay penalty if he didn't care that they got another first down (as evidenced by the 4th down play call) I don't have an answer for that one. They also wouldn't have even had to snap it on 4th down if they would've ran more time off during the 1st/2nd/3rd down plays. They had half the field to work with so they could've just had the QB take the snap.. run backwards for a few seconds and go to a knee when the first defender got close.

POD Knows
November 15th, 2021, 10:51 AM
I believe he called them with one second on the play clock to avoid a delay of game. If you ask me why he cared if they got a delay penalty if he didn't care that they got another first down (as evidenced by the 4th down play call) I don't have an answer for that one. They also wouldn't have even had to snap it on 4th down if they would've ran more time off during the 1st/2nd/3rd down plays. They had half the field to work with so they could've just had the QB take the snap.. run backwards for a few seconds and go to a knee when the first defender got close.
Those final 4 plays after the first down, which should have iced the game, were pretty odd. They could have done the time clock math in their head and probably got the clock under 3 or 4 seconds on 4th down and then threw the ball into the stands.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Those final 4 plays after the first down, which should have iced the game, were pretty odd. They could have done the time clock math in their head and probably got the clock under 3 or 4 seconds on 4th down and then threw the ball into the stands.

I thought that’s what they did

I need to watch the end of this game

Bisonator
November 15th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Yep, pretty much what we had Easton Stick do in the 2017 championship game. Run around until the clock expired and take a knee.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2021, 11:06 AM
I thought that’s what they did

I need to watch the end of this game
Was 3 pretty quick between the tackle runs... about 5-6 seconds each from snap to resetting the play clock.

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2021, 11:36 AM
Saturday after throwing for a 1st down they had a 3 point lead, 1st & 10 on their own 48, with 1:43 on the clock and USD having 1 timeout.

Their handling of the end of the game from that point gets even dumber when you realize in 2017 SDSU had a very similar situation......against USD.....in the Dakota Dome.

In that game they were up 3 points when they recovered an onside kick at their own 47 with 2:11 left and no timeouts remaining for the Coyotes. On first down Taryn Christon ran around to kill time and took a 16 yard loss. On 2nd down he did the same and took a 10 yard loss. On 3rd down he did the same and took a 17 yard loss. Then on 4th & 53 from the 4 yard line they were able to kneel and let the clock run out.

Mfergy4
November 15th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Yep, pretty much what we had Easton Stick do in the 2017 championship game. Run around until the clock expired and take a knee.

Yep, and notice, he ran all the way back to the five yard line to ensure all the time ran out.

Mfergy4
November 15th, 2021, 11:54 AM
32280 and they are still trying to figure it out....

ElCid
November 15th, 2021, 12:26 PM

That makes more sense but who cares if they got a penalty on the last one. And they could have used more time by stretching out plays E to W. They had 1:39 to go on 2nd down. That should have been enough. And yeah run backwards a few yards with protection.

Yote 53
November 15th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Lost in all this is that the better team won the game. Look at the stats and USD had a better day on the ground and in the air and won the turnover battle. Two missed FGs were the big blemishes and the difference up until that last play. The D held SDSU's potent running game in check up until their last drive where they got a bunch of rushing yards.

It was a fluke play but not really a fluke win.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Scrappy Dakota

said it about their defense watching Kansas game, got some laughs from Bison fans only I wasn’t jokin

nodak651
November 15th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Lost in all this is that the better team won the game. Look at the stats and USD had a better day on the ground and in the air and won the turnover battle. Two missed FGs were the big blemishes and the difference up until that last play. The D held SDSU's potent running game in check up until their last drive where they got a bunch of rushing yards.

THIS!

Preferred Walk-On
November 15th, 2021, 03:28 PM
Scrappy Dakota

said it about their defense watching Kansas game, got some laughs from Bison fans only I wasn’t jokin

Sam Houston or South Dakota...who ya' got? ;)

ST_Lawson
November 15th, 2021, 04:13 PM

That's true...USD had that game for most of it. It was only right at the end that it looked like SDSU was going to pull off the comeback victory.

Lorne_Malvo
November 15th, 2021, 04:16 PM

We will see this weekend.

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 05:12 PM
Sam Houston or South Dakota...who ya' got? ;)

home team

Chalupa Batman
November 15th, 2021, 05:28 PM
Scrappy Dakota

Careful not to break your arm there Hen.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/82okbIOv8krUhwgHCz/giphy.gif

caribbeanhen
November 15th, 2021, 06:32 PM
Careful not to break your arm there Hen.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/82okbIOv8krUhwgHCz/giphy.gif

HaHa. I like it