PDA

View Full Version : CAA fans....

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Tell me something about Hofstra. We saw them two years ago but that was back when they had a stud receiver named Colston.

Strengths, weaknesses?

SunCoastBlueHen
September 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Tell me something about Hofstra. We saw them two years ago but that was back when they had a stud receiver named Colston.

Strengths, weaknesses?

Hofstra is a bit of an enigma for everyone right now. They struggled a bit last year under a first year head coach (as many programs do). Most Delaware fans were big fans of Dave Cohen when he left for the Pride, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the team greatly improved in '07. They lost a lot of close games last year and should at least play you guys tough. xtwocentsx

I apologize for not having any real specifics.

KAUMASS
September 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM

Strengths, weaknesses?

Hofstra is a potential dark horse at the moment. They had a young team last year, went 2-9 and the worst loss in the CAA was to Maine by 11 points. New Hampshire beat them 10-6 and UMass beat them 22-16. They also lost to Marshall 54-31. They have a heck of a kicker and a all american linebacker. The starting QB this year is a transfer from Wisconsin who last year played at a JUCO and came to Hofstra this year or last spring.

My gut feeling is that they will give Furman all they can handle and it will be a close game. If it is close late in the 4th quarter, I will have to give Hofstra the edge with their kicker. Good luck in the game palidanfan, but I will be pulling for Hofstra.

A good link for Hofstra is the CAA website, www.caasports.com

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I expect it to be a pretty good game. Are they a physical team? Furman plays probably some of the most physical football in FCS and I remember that wearing heavy on Hofstra two years ago (along with the 95 degree weather).

KAUMASS
September 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I expect it to be a pretty good game. Are they a physical team? Furman plays probably some of the most physical football in FCS and I remember that wearing heavy on Hofstra two years ago (along with the 95 degree weather).

I saw them play UMass last year. They were not physically dominent and they threw a couple of deep balls for completions. They kind of hung around. Their defense was more of a bend alot and really tighten up in the red zone. They didn't run very well against UMass, but then again, only App. State and Navy had success running against us last year.

Hofstra was probably a couple players away from being a contender in the the A-10(CAA) last year. That is what is scary about our conference.

youwouldno
September 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hofstra seems to be well coached defensively and doesn't appear to make many mistakes. Whether they can stand up to Furman's run game remains to be seen though. It'll be interesting to see what Cohen draws up. PC's defensive coordinator came from Furman but he didn't really have the personnel to do anything.

My guess is that Cohen will pretty much stick to the Pride's normal game plan and hope his LB's can contain Felton & Co. Felton v. Villante is probably the most important individual matchup of the game. Also, Hofstra's outside backers against Gipson & Brown, and Furman's DEs v. Hofstra's OL.

Seawolf97
September 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Rob Zarilli is their kicker and he is probably on some NFL teams radar. If you let him inside the 40 he can sink 3 points easily. He is very accurate.

GeeWiz
September 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM

They have a good defense led by LB Gian Villante.

However, the game at Hofstra last year, Northeastern had two RB's run for over 100 yrds. (Mo Murray and Alex Broomfield).