PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Mandate Gone - SWAC vs SWAC OOC Allowed

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Kenn Rashad over at TSPNSports.com has this quote from the interim SWAC Commish on if SWAC vs SWAC will be allowed out of conference now that the nine-game mandate is coming to an end next year...

Interim SWAC Commissioner Duer Sharp on Monday confirmed, when the conference goes to a seven-game mandate starting next season, conference schools can still play each other in games that won’t count toward SWAC standings.

http://www.tspnsports.com/2007/08/31/and-we-wonder-why-the-swac-is-what-it-is.htm#more-67

Why get rid of the mandate, then? Seems getting rid of the mandate will not help matters at all. Actually, I think some schools will take advantage of not having the mandate, but some schools will continue to play their SWAC brethren.

Hopefully the SWAC changes the stance on this. Great job Kenn in bringing this up!

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Kenn Rashad over at TSPNSports.com has this quote from the interim SWAC Commish on if SWAC vs SWAC will be allowed out of conference now that the nine-game mandate is coming to an end next year...

http://www.tspnsports.com/2007/08/31/and-we-wonder-why-the-swac-is-what-it-is.htm#more-67

Why get rid of the mandate, then? Seems getting rid of the mandate will not help matters at all. Actually, I think some schools will take advantage of not having the mandate, but some schools will continue to play their SWAC brethren.

Hopefully the SWAC changes the stance on this. Great job Kenn in bringing this up!

No way will SU/Jackson State/ Alcorn/Grambling stop playing each other every year. Thats the games our fans want to see. Lets be real, the only reason Southland schools want to play Swac schools is because we have fans and you guys don't.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
No way will SU/Jackson State/ Alcorn/Grambling stop playing each other every year. Thats the games our fans want to see. Lets be real, the only reason Southland schools want to play Swac schools is because we have fans and you guys don't.

Perhaps the SWAC should go to an eight-game mandate than if they want to keep all these rivalry games intact. They'd still get three OOC which is better than two, but tough on the schools than. Got to play by the rules put out...

Oh, give me a break, playing a SWAC school won't do too much for the budget...SLC schools want to play SWAC schools because they want a Division I win to count towards playoff eligibility. It does more for us than playing these Div II schools -- typically, better competition than those Div II teams too.

Much easier to get a deal with a SWAC school than a school from elsewhere because everyone around the country has to fly to play at the SLC, while the SWAC can make the short drive. Being west of the Mississippi is tough if your an FCS because of the severe lack of schools in the west of the country at this level.

BobcatSymphony
September 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM

I've never decided to weigh in before on the SWAC mandate/OOC discussion but I feel compelled to add.

First, please don't confuse one poster's many threads on SWAC football as being the sentiment from every SLC fan. I personally have an appreciation for the games SWAC schools play for their ability to generate interest. The events surrounding a "classic" football game is something that can't/shouldn't be ignored.

However, that's where my appreciation ends regarding the game day events leading up to the actual contest. When it comes to the football I'm watching, I always check to see if someone else is playing on tv. Don't get me wrong, there are many individual athletes at every school that warrant attention, but without a team playing great football, those players have to wait for the next level to show their mettle on the field conclusively.

I could get my friends together, start a weekly one-on-one wing eating contest, win, and proclaim myself the "champion" of wing eating everywhere I went. However, if someone offered a challenge and I refused based on the criteria they weren't in my group of friends, I'd appear downright foolish.

I use a non-compensating (read: no money involved/exchanged) event because the game of football is played by kids, students on the field trying to prove they're the best team on the field that day. They don't get to benefit directly from the money the university makes. They want to win. It appears silly to not schedule some of the perennial strong programs around the country so that these kids can prove to naysayers and doubters that they are part of a great program.

I understand that EVERY school suffers from money issues if they field athletics. The SWAC has for years had their classics to circumvent the problems of having athletics siphon monies from the university. However, many schools are finding more and more ways to do the same things without subverting to a mandate or self-isolation from the rest of the country.

I personally hope to see more of the SWAC play OOC games with OTHER conferences. Take a payday game each year (if money is that necessary) and enjoy the classics held in the conference part of the season. But if you must crown a "national champion", make sure they play the teams consistently going for FCS Championships to provide some merit to the title.

tsutiger
September 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I've never decided to weigh in before on the SWAC mandate/OOC discussion but I feel compelled to add.

First, please don't confuse one poster's many threads on SWAC football as being the sentiment from every SLC fan. I personally have an appreciation for the games SWAC schools play for their ability to generate interest. The events surrounding a "classic" football game is something that can't/shouldn't be ignored.

However, that's where my appreciation ends regarding the game day events leading up to the actual contest. When it comes to the football I'm watching, I always check to see if someone else is playing on tv. Don't get me wrong, there are many individual athletes at every school that warrant attention, but without a team playing great football, those players have to wait for the next level to show their mettle on the field conclusively.

I could get my friends together, start a weekly one-on-one wing eating contest, win, and proclaim myself the "champion" of wing eating everywhere I went. However, if someone offered a challenge and I refused based on the criteria they weren't in my group of friends, I'd appear downright foolish.

I use a non-compensating (read: no money involved/exchanged) event because the game of football is played by kids, students on the field trying to prove they're the best team on the field that day. They don't get to benefit directly from the money the university makes. They want to win. It appears silly to not schedule some of the perennial strong programs around the country so that these kids can prove to naysayers and doubters that they are part of a great program.

I understand that EVERY school suffers from money issues if they field athletics. The SWAC has for years had their classics to circumvent the problems of having athletics siphon monies from the university. However, many schools are finding more and more ways to do the same things without subverting to a mandate or self-isolation from the rest of the country.

I personally hope to see more of the SWAC play OOC games with OTHER conferences. Take a payday game each year (if money is that necessary) and enjoy the classics held in the conference part of the season. But if you must crown a "national champion", make sure they play the teams consistently going for FCS Championships to provide some merit to the title.

Don't hate the SWAC. They are doing the same thing the BCS is doing on a much smaller scale. If you have a problem with the SWAC, you should also have a problem with the Ivy's and FCS "mid majors". The FCS has several issues on how it's run.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Don't hate the SWAC. They are doing the same thing the BCS is doing on a much smaller scale. If you have a problem with the SWAC, you should also have a problem with the Ivy's and FCS "mid majors". The FCS has several issues on how it's run.

It is easy to have problems with the mid-majors, but one must put that blame on the shoulder of the NCAA who is really not sure how to deal with these schools. Quite frankly, I do not think any of us have a solution!

The Ivy League schools are an interesting subject on their own as is to some extent, the Patriot League. Very similar models, much different...

BobcatSymphony
September 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

I don't hate the SWAC. I just stated that I enjoy the environment surrounding it's games and classics. Also that they do produce quality players at the next level. I simply stated that it "appears" silly to do what is being done. If it happened in any other conference it would be just as intensely harped on.

I will state however that the Ivy League has a less comparable situation than the SWAC. First off, while the Ivy's only play themselves, there isn't as much "hype" to the contest, nor the activities surrounding them (ie: Battle of the Bands). Also, I don't feel that the Ivy's use their limited schedules to boost university revenue and "balance the books". They harp more on the power of their education systems, and how many alumns are leaders in the corporate, political, etc worlds. They're sustained from alumn donations made all year round, not just Sept-Nov.

I wish the Ivy's would schedule more OOC just like I wish the SWAC would. I got to witness games at TxSt agains Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M. The gameday experience was awesome! The bands were entertaining, and the crowds supporting their teams enjoyed the atmosphere. However, I don't remember anything about the quality of football other than that TxSt won both games...xtwocentsx

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM

Actually, we like the guaranteed wins....

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
THE SWAC was 3-1 OC.
SU beat Famu
Alabama State beat Jacksonville State
Alabama A&M beat Tenn. State
Jackson State lost to Delta State, who also beat SFA last season.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I don't hate the SWAC. I just stated that I enjoy the environment surrounding it's games and classics. Also that they do produce quality players at the next level. I simply stated that it "appears" silly to do what is being done. If it happened in any other conference it would be just as intensely harped on.

I will state however that the Ivy League has a less comparable situation than the SWAC. First off, while the Ivy's only play themselves, there isn't as much "hype" to the contest, nor the activities surrounding them (ie: Battle of the Bands). Also, I don't feel that the Ivy's use their limited schedules to boost university revenue and "balance the books". They harp more on the power of their education systems, and how many alumns are leaders in the corporate, political, etc worlds. They're sustained from alumn donations made all year round, not just Sept-Nov.

I wish the Ivy's would schedule more OOC just like I wish the SWAC would. I got to witness games at TxSt agains Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M. The gameday experience was awesome! The bands were entertaining, and the crowds supporting their teams enjoyed the atmosphere. However, I don't remember anything about the quality of football other than that TxSt won both games...xtwocentsx

PVU and TSU are cellar dewlars in the SWAC.

BobcatSymphony
September 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
PVU and TSU are cellar dewlars in the SWAC.

So the cellar dwellers can schedule a true OOC opponent but the "power houses" don't feel the need to prove anything... Gotcha

FCSFAN
September 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
THE SWAC was 3-1 OC.
SU beat Famu
Alabama State beat Jacksonville State
Alabama A&M beat Tenn. State
Jackson State lost to Delta State, who also beat SFA last season.Don't go there, citing OOC records for the SWAC. Ask pneck about it. Just don't go there.

Mr. Tiger
September 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
The SWAC mandate is gone and there are only a few games that will continue to be played because of how much money the games bring in. Those games are important to our budgets. The Southern-Jackson State series brings in over 50,000 fans in Jackson and a full house in Baton Rouge. So it is an economic issue. As you can see Jackson State has already line up Northwestern State and SE Louisiana in the future so you will see more SLC and SWAC matchups.

As for the SWAC's OOC record, every year is different. This season appears to be off to a good start for us.

tsutiger
September 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM

Didn't say you hate the SWAC. I said stop hating on the SWAC. My fault for using slang. Your response proves what i'm talking about. You have a problem with the SWAC playing two out of conference opponents and a championship game instead of playing in the playoffs. However you try to justify the Ivy's not playing in the playoffs because the don't have the same crowds.

If you were paying attention you would see it's a problem that the Ivy's are included in the Top 25 FCS poll. That "mid majors" are included in the top 25 FCS poll. That's like Northwestern winning the Big Ten then not going to the Rose Bowl because of their "high academic standards". That's bullshat. Why is the University of Dayton who offers zero scholorships in the same football classification as App. State? UD plays other non scholorship schools but has finished the season ranked in the top 20 in 1AA/FCS. This is perfectly fine with you. But you have a problem with the SWAC. xthumbsupx