PDA

View Full Version : ASU.. possible downside

ChickenMan
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
The win over Michigan was better than great.. but will the euphoria/hangover from such an accomplishment linger too far into the '07 season. It won't be easy to put that win behind them.. as everyone around the ASU campus is sure to remind them of how great they are for quite awhile. Also you can bet that all of ASU's '07 opponents are going to be extremely hyped to beat the team that beat Michigan. ASU certainly was up to the challenge of playing in the "Big House'.. now the question is .. are they ready to put that great win behind them?

Casey_Orourke
September 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
The win over Michigan was better than great.. but will the euphoria/hangover from such an accomplishment linger too far into the '07 season. It won't be easy to put that win behind them.. as everyone around the ASU campus is sure to remind them of how great they are for quite awhile. Also you can bet that all of ASU's '07 opponents are going to be extremely hyped to beat the team that beat Michigan. ASU certainly was up to the challenge of playing in the "Big House'.. now the question is .. are they ready to put that great win behind them?

I think they will because prior to this there was the "euphoria/hangover" of being the two-time, back to back, 1-AA/FCS champions, which in our world is huge, and still got back to business.

I think the ASU coaches have enough experience to know how to get their kids refocused after the last big game and focus on the next.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
It'll be interesting to see. Their schedule this year is tougher than most with road games in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Charleston. Their last loss game at Paladin Stadium in 2005.

They will get everyone's best game. We'll see if their opponents are up to the task.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
As strange as it sounds, I think the tough part will be getting past LR College next week. Once that is done, the "euphoria" phenomenon will be past. But the coaches may have a challenge to be sure that the bodies AND THEIR BRAINS show up this coming Saturday. Last year MSU beat Colorado and then lost to Chadron State. I would hate to see that happen in Boone. And I really don't think it will, but it could.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
As strange as it sounds, I think the tough part will be getting past LR College next week. Once that is done, the "euphoria" phenomenon will be past. But the coaches may have a challenge to be sure that the bodies AND THEIR BRAINS show up this coming Saturday. Last year MSU beat Colorado and then lost to Chadron State. I would hate to see that happen in Boone. And I really don't think it will, but it could.

Colorado is not Michigan, Montana State is not ASU.

The game could be closer than people like if ASU loses focus, and they won't lose too much focus.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
When you combine it with the fact they've won 2 straight titles, yeah, I think they'll have a bit of a midseason hangover. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a middle-of-the-pack SoCon team (i.e. not Furman and/or Wofford) that takes them down. Combination of "been there, done that", "when do the playoffs start?" and facing another really ramped-up opponent is likely to cause a slip-up during the regular season.

As much as everyone loves to win, sometimes it's just hard to keep that edge after 2 in a row, plus a huge opening win like they just had, over the long haul of the regular season. xtwocentsx

Once in the playoffs though, their heads will be screwed on plenty straight. Even if they lose once or twice during the regular season, you'd be hard-pressed to not consider them the favorites come playoff time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
It may not be easy to keep a team motivated, but it can be done.

In the '01 season GSU was the defending national champ for the second season in a row and we were 12-1 going into the semifinals that year (and the only reason we lost that one game was because we had our 3rd string QB and no Adrian Peterson).

Also, I think Jerry Moore is too good of a coach to let that happen, and Richardson and Edwards too good as players.