PDA

View Full Version : SoCon week 2

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Busy week. Let's talk it up.

-Appalachian State (1-0) v. Lenoir Rhyne (DII): LR will drive the 30 min up from Hickory, take a whipping, drive 30 min home.

- Furman (1-0) at Hofstra (0-0): Furman got out first game mistakes, Hofstra hasn't had a chance to. Furman wins by two tds

- Western Carolina (0-1) v. Eastern Kentucky (0-1): Western needs to find their feet and get some confidence. EKU takes it by two scores.

- Wofford (1-0) v. Charleston Southern (0-1): Another tough game for Charleston Southern. Wofford wins.

- Elon (0-1) v. West Virginia Wesleyan: Prime time TV right here. Elon wins.

- Chattanooga (0-1) at Jacksonville State (0-1): Things keep getting tough for Mocs. Jacksonville wins a hard fought game.

- Georgia Southern (0-0) v. West Georgia (DII): UWG is stiff on defense and have stung the Eagles once in Pauslon. Coach Hatcher gets an ugly first win.

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Appalachian State (1-0) v. Lenoir Rhyne (DII): LR will drive the 30 min up from Hickory, take a whipping, drive 30 min home.

That's what Michigan fans said about App State ;)

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
That's what Michigan fans said about App State ;)

LR isn't exactly the class of their division of football.

OL FU
September 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
ASU versus LR - - ASU will have to have a let down after last week but it won't matter. ASU wins by more than 4 scores ( any where from 24 to 148 pointsxsmiley_wix )

WCU @ EKU - Western won it last year but I don't think they can take EKU in Richmond. EKU by 10

CSU @ WC - - - CSU goes 0-2 as Wofford starts getting it together. My guess is that it is about the same margin as the Citadel game.

WV Wes. at Elon - Don't know a thing about WV Wesleyan so Elon by 21.

Chattanooga at Jacksonville STate - Chattanooga wakes up and plays some football. But Jacksonville has a good football environment and JSU takes this one by 7.

GSU - -- - West Georgia - - - GSU by more than 20xnodx

Furman @ Hofstra - Hofstra had a horrible record last year but my recollection is that they played everyone close even the best of the CAA. I think defense was their largest asset and I believe most of the team returns. I think it will be closer than most expect. Even if FU wins by a couple of TDs it won't feel like it. I'll take FU by 7 in a lower scoring game

TheCatamount
September 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
I think WCU will get the win vs EKU

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think WCU will get the win vs EKU

t'would be nice.

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
if you can make the 45 miles from hickory to boone in 30 minutes past all that construction then you are damn good and need to show me the way you go!... i usually think of it as about an hour... but back to the football i dont expect much of a let down

CID1990
September 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
You forgot El Cid vs. Webber International.

It's going to be a bloodletting.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
yes, my bad. I didn't even know they had a football program :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
- Appalachian State (1-0) v. Lenoir Rhyne (DII): surely ASU won't be as focused and fired up this week as they were last week, but they still win by 30+ easily.

- Furman (1-0) at Hofstra (0-0): Furman wins by two touchdowns or so.

- Western Carolina (0-1) v. Eastern Kentucky (0-1): I wish I knew how good 'Bama really is this year. I think WCU gets the win, though.

- Wofford (1-0) v. Charleston Southern (0-1): Another tough game for Charleston Southern. Wofford wins. [Agreed]

- Citadel defeats Weber International

- Elon (0-1) v. West Virginia Wesleyan: Elon gets squished.

- Chattanooga (0-1) at Jacksonville State (0-1): Things keep getting tough for Mocs. Jacksonville wins a hard fought game. [Agreed]

- Georgia Southern (0-0) v. West Georgia (DII): UWG is stiff on defense and have stung the Eagles once in Pauslon. Coach Hatcher gets an ugly first win.

That game was 13 years ago this Thursday...and there are new players, and three coaches have been and gone since Tim Stowers left. But we don't need to have revenge on the players minds to take this one.

I think GSU makes a big statement to start the season. We have competent offensive coaches this year and we are so deep at running back that it's nuts. Also, a lot of GSU fans are saying that this may be the one of the best (if not the best) secondaries we've ever had.

GSU wins by 4 or more TDs.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Managed to go 5-2 in the first week. Losses were picking the wrong teams in play-up games (I'll let you guess what one of those was ;) )

Webber International at The Citadel The Citadel Webber International? Is that like "Grills of the World" or something? xconfusedx Dogs roll

Chattanooga at Jacksonville State Chattanooga Mocs fight off some of the disappointment from losing the opener, top OVC foe

Lenoir Rhyne at Appalachian State Appalachian State Mountaineers avoid the "Chadron State" trap, win comfortably enough in the end

West Georgia at Georgia Southern Georgia Southern Eagles flying high to get the season started knock around in-state opponent. We'll get our first look to see if Hatcher really is the better coach

West Virginia Wesleyan at Elon Elon Phoenix even their record with a solid win at home. Lembo knows how to win these kinds of games

Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky Eastern Kentucky Going with the Colonels and home-field advantage here

Charleston Southern at Wofford Wofford Bucs couldn't handle Citadel in a town they both shared, have even more problems travelling inland to see the Terriers. Dog days for CSU continue

Furman at Hofstra Furman Paladins know better than to sleep on Hofstra after last time. Purple squeezes this one out again

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
They may win big, but I just don't see Georgia Southern winning by four touchdowns. Furman was a playoff and top 10 team last year and UWG held our very good offense to 24 points.

All I am saying is remember how confident your fans were in beating Central Connecticut by 40?

FurmanPaladins4138
September 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I'm not much for picking scores...

Citadel over Webber Int. (who is Webber Int.- what division are they in?)

Jacksonville St. over Chattanooga- sorry, i just really don't think chattanooga has a chance...

Appalachian St. over Lenoir-Rhyne- Duh. I would be surprised at a margin of less than 50 points.

Georgia Southern over West Georgia- could be competitive for a quarter, but I expect at least a 20-pt. victory for GS.

Elon over WV Wesleyan- Elon's program has been steadily improving.

Eastern Kentucky over Western Carolina- Could be close, but homefield advantage plays a big role.

Wofford over Charleston Southern- have to go with my buddies from Spartanburg.

Furman over Hofstra- as long as Furman eliminates some or most of their mistakes from the PC game, they can win by at least two TDs

Eyes of Old Main
September 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
I see things pretty much the same as everyone.

The Citadel beats Webber by as much as they want to.
Jacksonville State beats Chattanooga by a couple TD's.
Furman handles Hofstra with ease.
Wofford takes care of Charleston Southern.
Eastern Kentucky beats Western Carolina in a relatively close game.
Appalachian State beats Lenoir-Rhyne handily, but not a little hangover from last week.
Elon beats West Virginia Wesleyan with little difficulty.
Georgia Southern gives Coach Hatcher a debut win over West Georgia.

Death Dealer
September 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
The Mocs and Cats continue to stink it up. Everybody else wins if they stay focused and play well. But, I have to admit that the Hofstra game on the road makes me nervous.

By the way, where's the love from the Appy fans for little old Death Dealer and his week one prediction of a win in the big house for their boys? I mean, D@mn, I only missed it by one point! Checks or money orders are O.K., but I also accept rep points!xcoolx xwhistlex xwhistlex

Kill'em
September 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
They may win big, but I just don't see Georgia Southern winning by four touchdowns. Furman was a playoff and top 10 team last year and UWG held our very good offense to 24 points.

All I am saying is remember how confident your fans were in beating Central Connecticut by 40?

I am not one to predict big wins for us but I feel we will kill West Georgia. Remember, West Georgia was Valdosta St's biggest rival so Hatcher is very familiar with them. This is not BVG and his "prevent offense." He is the one who actually called the CCSU game a scrimmage. Hatcher is not one to take any team lightly. He is smart enough not to overlook anyone, especially after we went 3-8 and he hasn't coached a game at Georgia Southern yet.

As for the rest:
App destroys Lenoir Rhyne
Citadel beats Webber Intl
Jacksonville St beats Chattanooga, easily
Furman pounds Hofstra
Wofford beats Charleston Southern
Western Carolina loses a close game to Eastern Kentucky
Elon manhandles West Virginia Wesleyan

CID1990
September 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Webber Intl. is a NAIA school out of Florida. They have been playing football for 5 years, and looking at their record they appear to hover around .500.

They have pretty uniforms.

The Cats
September 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Webber International at The Citadel

Chattanooga at Jacksonville State

Lenoir Rhyne at Appalachian State

West Georgia at Georgia Southern

West Virginia Wesleyan at Elon

Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky

Charleston Southern at Wofford

Furman at Hofstra

seantaylor
September 3rd, 2007, 11:56 PM

GSU will beat WGA by at least 4 TD's.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I am not one to predict big wins for us but I feel we will kill West Georgia. Remember, West Georgia was Valdosta St's biggest rival so Hatcher is very familiar with them. This is not BVG and his "prevent offense." He is the one who actually called the CCSU game a scrimmage. Hatcher is not one to take any team lightly. He is smart enough not to overlook anyone, especially after we went 3-8 and he hasn't coached a game at Georgia Southern yet.

As for the rest:
App destroys Lenoir Rhyne
Citadel beats Webber Intl
Jacksonville St beats Chattanooga, easily
Furman pounds Hofstra
Wofford beats Charleston Southern
Western Carolina loses a close game to Eastern Kentucky
Elon manhandles West Virginia Wesleyan

West Georgia beat Valdosta in 2005 if I'm not mistaken.

ButlerGSU
September 4th, 2007, 06:31 AM
GSU will beat WGA by at least 4 TD's.

I don't know about that. We need one more score than they have to win and I'll be okay with that after last season.

Furman wins big.

El Cit beats Webber without any problems.

Jacksonville State takes UTC apart unless they had one heck of a weeks practice.

App State beats Lenoir Rhyne even if they are distracted from the big win last Saturday.

Georgia Southern is not back yet but Hatcher has seen enough of West GA in his 7 years at VSU to know their number.

Elon beats the school I've never heard of.

Western gets their first win but it won't be pretty.

Wofford rolls.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure about Furman winning big, but I appreciate the vote of confidence. Furman, I think, certainly has the toughest test this week. Long road game versus a good football team.

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I don't agree with Sagarin often especially this time of year and especially since he always over-rates the A-10 (CAA) but to put the Hofstra game in perspective, he has them favored by 8 or 9 pointsxnodx.

I think it will be much closer than most people are picking

jhbeagle
September 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
We could win our game by a FG or by 40. It's very hard to tell at this point. We have looked good playing against ourselves on both sides of the ball in practice.

Eyes of Old Main
September 4th, 2007, 08:37 AM
...he always over-rates the A-10 (CAA) but to put the Hofstra game in perspective, he has them favored by 8 or 9 pointsxnodx.

I agree that Sagarin does always seem to favor the CAA schools. He must be smoking something if he's calling Furman a 8-9 point underdog.

Kill'em
September 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM
West Georgia beat Valdosta in 2005 if I'm not mistaken.

We are a lot more talented than Valdosta St.

terrierbob
September 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Sagarin has FU buried in the power rankings. So much for computers.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM
We are a lot more talented than Valdosta St.

That's true, but the only team on your schedule that has seen your offense is the one you are playing this weekend.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
That's true, but the only team on your schedule that has seen your offense is the one you are playing this weekend.

So are you saying they will do better against us than you?

xlolx xsmiley_wix

Yosef_grrl99
September 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I don't know a whole lot about Sagarin ratings.....and from what I hear it's got to be taken with a grain of salt but.....this has to be the highest ASU has ever been. xeekx

38 Appalachian State AA = 78.33 1 0 79.96( 35)

40 Michigan A = 77.03 0 1 75.40( 49)

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
So are you saying they will do better against us than you?

xlolx xsmiley_wix

I think he is saying what your fellow GSU fan said. it could be 40 points or it could be 4

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't know a whole lot about Sagarin ratings.....and from what I hear it's got to be taken with a grain of salt but.....this has to be the highest ASU has ever been. xeekx

38 Appalachian State AA = 78.33 1 0 79.96( 35)

40 Michigan A = 77.03 0 1 75.40( 49)

I agree the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt. They get better as the season progresses but even thenxeyebrowx ... But at the first of the year they are practically useless. However, I do think Hofstra is going to be better than most posters are given them credit.

Laserlips
September 4th, 2007, 11:39 AM

PaladinFan:

JMOFO, as none of us have seen our Eagles play a down of football under the tuteledge of Chris Hatcher.

I believe that we (GSU) have some very good players from last season who were sorely mismanaged by the goober.. We have been fortunate in having several "potential" good players transfer in. We have a real coach this year who has a winning record as a head coach (in D2) and it seems he is the real deal.

Whether or not we beat West Ga. by four touchdowns or not might be either because we aren't good enough, or that if we ARE good enough but Coach Hatcher is not the sort of Coach to DELIBERATELY run the score up on a beaten opponent.

As a long time GSU fan I just hope our Eagles have their "poop" together and we play a solid game and win. Obviously we better we look the better we will all feel.

I have heard rumblings of our having the potential for a pretty good defense and quality backs.. Hope that's true. And Lordy I hope we have found a kicker this year..

Last year was a disaster with BVG the goober at the helm. I think we were very fortunate to hire Coach Chris Hatcher and I honestly believe he can, and will, turn our program around. It will take several years for him to get his "guys" and offense clicking, but I think this year will be a good start for the GSU Eagle football program and those fans left who didn't jump off the bridge into the Ogeechee River after last seasons embarrassing losses.

We'll all find out at the same time how good, or not, our Eagles are come Saturday night in Paulson Stadium..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

SCPALADIN
September 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
They have pretty uniforms.

xchinscratchx xchinscratchx
snicker...xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Sagarin has FU buried in the power rankings. So much for computers.

that is what happens when you win by 24 instead of the 53 that Sagarin predictedxrolleyesx

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
that is what happens when you win by 24 instead of the 53 that Sagarin predictedxrolleyesx

Sagarin=idiot