PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFF HOME GAME QUESTIONS

MUHAWKS
November 8th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know how the bidding process works in terms of fringe teams? Like obviously teams like JMU, Dakota's, Sam Houston etc. know but teams like Monmouth or Holy Cross or the NEC Champ, is there any "risk" in bidding? Like in 2019 we (Monmouth) were not a shoe in until we won the last day of the season but clearly bidding had to be done before that. This year same thing, if we get in it will be last day of season and since 1st rd is regional for the most part (not in the spring when they sent us to sam houston) would we sort of already be along in this process by now?

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2021, 01:21 PM
Schools do submit bids to host playoff games several weeks before the playoffs start. I don't know what the deadline this year is but I would guess that it's passed so any team that is in contention for the playoffs or hopes to be by season's end has probably already submitted bids.

Anthony215
November 8th, 2021, 01:31 PM
If not selected for the playoffs I'm sure that the $ put up for the bid would be reimbursed to the school. For Monmouth getting a first round home game may not be profitable if the stadium holds 4k and they can't sell out. Remember the NCAA makes all the $$ from ticket sales, the schools make their money from parking and concessions. So a sell out in tickets would mean people are parking and eating which makes it profitable for them to host. JMU has a 25k seat stadium so they're able to sell 20k tickets and still make it profitable as they'll be able to get more folks to eat and drink not to mention parking there is probably double what Monmouth would charge. The thing is with JMU, SHSU, JSU all moving up that means more small schools will have a chance to win bids.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2021, 01:36 PM
If not selected for the playoffs I'm sure that the $ put up for the bid would be reimbursed to the school. For Monmouth getting a first round home game may not be profitable if the stadium holds 4k and they can't sell out. Remember the NCAA makes all the $$ from ticket sales, the schools make their money from parking and concessions. So a sell out in tickets would mean people are parking and eating which makes it profitable for them to host. JMU has a 25k seat stadium so they're able to sell 20k tickets and still make it profitable as they'll be able to get more folks to eat and drink not to mention parking there is probably double what Monmouth would charge. The thing is with JMU, SHSU, JSU all moving up that means more small schools will have a chance to win bids.
The host schools don't owe anything until after the games I'm sure since they may end up sending more to the NCAA than their bid amount. The NCAA gets 75% of the net receipts (ticket revenue minus the host school's expenses) or the bid amount, whichever is higher.

Mocs123
November 8th, 2021, 02:20 PM
First round games always have terrible attendance so I think the NCAA has trouble getting schools to bid.

MUHAWKS
November 8th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Ok thanks, fair enough, yes I am sure we prob lost $$$ in 2019 when we hosted- and with covid etc doubt smaller schools would do it just for the hell of it at this point..I am jumping ahead of myself anyway as we still need to get in but regardless of who wins C/Fordham I know they dont like sending reg season games to play each other again in 1st rd..so guess that would mean Patriot league gets the NEC winner. JMU would get a bye and if we do get again I assume that means regionally the only team left would be Nova (assuming no bye for them) and The Pioneer winner which is why I originally asked my question.. The game HAS to be played at one of the 2 schools, so I am just wondering if like Davidson is even bidding. Who bids def could effect who plays who if they really try and keep it regional.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Finally found the website with all the current details: https://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-football

Bid packets are due by next Monday (11/15): https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2021-22D1MFB_BidChecklist.pdf. That includes bids/budgets but also preferred start times if you do host.

Page 3 here lists the minimum bid requirements for each round: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2021-22D1MFB_PrelimHostOpsManual.pdf. I had thought that the first round games didn't have a minimum bid but apparently they do at 30K and the minimum goes up by 10K for each round until it hits 60K for the semis.

Mocs123
November 8th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Good question by MUHawks though I wonder what happens if not enough teams bid to match up regional schools? It could happen in a COVID year.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Good question by MUHawks though I wonder what happens if not enough teams bid to match up regional schools? It could happen in a COVID year.
If neither team bids they will apparently contact each school to "offer" them the potential to host for the minimum bid and if it happens later in the tournament they'll offer the previous round's minimum bid if they still can't find a taker:

CRITERIA – PRELIMINARY ROUND SITE SELECTION
Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw
31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria
when selecting playoff sites:

1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75
percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Second round—$40,000
Quarterfinals—$50,000
Semifinals—$60,000

2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eightseeded
teams.

3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as
follows (listed in alphabetical order): (1) attendance history and potential, 2) quality of facility, (3) revenue
potential plus estimated net receipts, (4), student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time); and (5)
team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents).

4. If a second-round, quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved
did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit
a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee
will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

5. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum
financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host
institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

6. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host
institution.

They don't seem to spell it out but I'd assume if neither school in a first round game wants to submit a minimum bid the NCAA just chooses one of the schools to host and will take their 75% of the net receipts even if that's under the minimum bid amount.

MUHAWKS
November 8th, 2021, 03:46 PM
GREAT INFO CHAOS thank you for finding.. I feel lazy now..