PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Constitutional Changes

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Some light reading... you may want to jump to page 12 in particular of the document linked to from the release below.

===

Draft constitution
The current draft of the constitution reduces the number of members of the NCAA Board of Governors from 21 to nine to streamline decision-making for Association-wide issues. Six members would be from the three divisions (four from Division I and one each from Divisions II and III), plus there would be two independent members and one former student-athlete. Student-athletes would also serve on the Division I Board of Directors and Division II and Division III Presidents Councils, and they would have voting representation within each of these groups.

The draft includes new concepts while also codifying some existing priorities and principles into the constitution for the first time. It prohibits pay-for-play but embraces name, image and likeness benefits. It maintains existing revenue allocations and championship opportunities for each division, and each division would have oversight of its own budget, expenditures and distribution to its members. The current draft constitution also underscores the importance of both physical and mental health and emphasizes diversity, inclusion and gender equity.

NCAA.org (https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-constitution-committee-introduces-draft-constitution)

AmsterBison
November 8th, 2021, 10:20 AM
If it's not "Kick the SEC out of the NCAA and save college athletics", then I don't want to read it.

walliver
November 8th, 2021, 01:38 PM
The NCAA site has little information.
ESPN has a little more: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32583346/ncaa-releases-draft-streamlined-constitution-give-power-schools

In the end, the SEC and B1G get what they want. If they leave the ACC, PAC-12 and maybe B12 follow. They will make it too expensive for most of the G5 to follow. March Madness fails and what is now March Madness will become the equivalent of the FCS playoffs.

Hopefully, the P5 leave only for football.