PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference is back

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
I've seen a lot of folks on this board, especially those who do rankings or power polls, etc., sort of relegate the SLC to second-tier status this preseason. Granted, the SLC was down last year, but c'mon, get some perspective people. Before last year, there was a Southland team in the playoff final four in seven of the previous 11 years, the same as, say, the Big Sky. Chew on that for a minute before you go rating the OVC or the MEAC ahead of the SLC.

This week the SLC was (correct me if I'm wrong here) the only FCS league with two wins over ranked opponents plus it had the division's "other" win over an FBS team.

We'll just ignore what happened to Stephen F. Austin though...

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Agreed.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
I've seen a lot of folks on this board, especially those who do rankings or power polls, etc., sort of relegate the SLC to second-tier status this preseason. Granted, the SLC was down last year, but c'mon, get some perspective people. Before last year, there was a Southland team in the playoff final four in seven of the previous 11 years, the same as, say, the Big Sky. Chew on that for a minute before you go rating the OVC or the MEAC ahead of the SLC.

This week the SLC was (correct me if I'm wrong here) the only FCS league with two wins over ranked opponents plus it had the division's "other" win over an FBS team.

We won't....xlolx

Bearkatpresident
September 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I agree wholeheartly with the gentleman from Lake Charles...

....and Natchitoches...hard for me to ignore that too

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Great weekend for the conference...

This conference will not have that big a weekend this coming week with the only game of note being SFA traveling to NDSU and then we have a conference match-up between UCA and NWST (which is huge, but not really a chance for a team to prove their worth to the nation as in a OOC game).

Best of luck to all SLC teams, let's keep the OOC season in good form!

SFA 71
September 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Agreed.

How the beercats do when "the second coming" goes down.

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090107aaa.html

"Adding injury to insult, the Lumberjacks had to go the majority of the game without services of preseason all-conference running back Louie Runnels who went down in the first quarter with an injury. Making matters more severe for the 'Jacks, backup running back Vincent Pervis left the game in the second quarter with an injury and did not return."
xthumbsupx

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Well actually Bomar did leave the game due to his legs cramping. When he did come back, they were tight for them the rest of the game.

Didn't really matter since we ran the ball mostly in the 2nd half anyways.

DuckDuckGriz
September 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree the SLC looks pretty good. And I don't want to be a naysayer here but it sounds like there is alot of frustration coming from Huntsville after SHSU's less than stellar 17-13 win over their DII opponent (the name escapes me). And a letdown from Bomar's performance.

Time will tell though. One thing's for sure, MaaacNeese is back xnodx

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Bomar's performance wasn't a let down. We ran the ball most of the game. Bomar was 16 of 24 with 3 dropped passes...so more like 19 of 24. He ran well. His one interception was a total fluke.

The letdown was the play calling. We RAN the ball most of the game when we were barely winning.

Gil Dobie
September 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
Great start for the Southland. Looking forward to the next two weeks in the Fargodome. Should be some great football. xthumbsupx

SFA 71
September 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Well actually Bomar did leave the game due to his legs cramping. When he did come back, they were tight for them the rest of the game.

"without... Runnels.... the majority of the game.... went down in the first quarter"

I think there is an obvious difference in the two statements. Can a beercat see the difference? xthumbsupx

PMB4Life
September 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Look, not to take a whiz on your shoes, but I think the SLC still has a way to go. I'm happy that Nicholls State p0wned Rice, but the Tarleton State and Angelo State games show that the ship needs to be righted. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the SLC still has about two season left before they are back in the thick of the FCS elite.

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I agree the SLC looks pretty good. And I don't want to be a naysayer here but it sounds like there is alot of frustration coming from Huntsville after SHSU's less than stellar 17-13 win over their DII opponent (the name escapes me). And a letdown from Bomar's performance.

Time will tell though. One thing's for sure, MaaacNeese is back xnodx

I do think the Lone Star is a quality D-II conference (although I don't profess to be as informed about D-II as I like to think I am about the FCS). And we all know quality D-IIs can compete with quality FCS teams.

I, for one, am not ready to dismiss SFA's season, or Sam Houston's. I think both Tarleton and Angelo would be able to field competitive D-I teams if they were so inclined.

Heck, look at the Dakota schools...

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Look, not to take a whiz on your shoes, but I think the SLC still has a way to go. I'm happy that Nicholls State p0wned Rice, but the Tarleton State and Angelo State games show that the ship needs to be righted. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the SLC still has about two season left before they are back in the thick of the FCS elite.

This from a conference that just had a top team lose to Drake (no offense to Drake)...

If you don't think quality D-II teams can compete, look what happened to Montana State last year a week after the Colorado win. And Montana State was a quarterfinalist in the I-AA playoffs.

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Or look at Texas State barely beating Delta State in 2005 and going to the semi-finals.

Or SFA last year LOSING to Delta State but then almost winning conference.

Dallas Demon
September 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM

You're wrong. The Southland as a whole easliy had the best showing of any FCS conference the first week.

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm happy that Nicholls State p0wned Rice, but the Tarleton State and Angelo State games show that the ship needs to be righted.

Kind of like what last year's North Dakota/UNI game showed about the Gateway?

One of these days it's going to dawn on people that there isn't a whole lot of difference between D-II and FCS.

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Or look at Texas State barely beating Delta State in 2005 and going to the semi-finals.

Or SFA last year LOSING to Delta State but then almost winning conference.

Or Florida Atlantic losing by 45-17 to D-II Valdosta State in 2003 yet making it to the I-AA semifinals. Or Big Sky champ Montana losing to D-II North Dakota State during the same year. Or undefeated I-AA national champ Youngstown State winning a white knuckler over D-II North Alabama in 1994. Or 1980 Division I-AA champion Boise State losing to D-II Cal Poly during the regular season.

Nope. A I-AA/FCS to a D-II teams is not necessarily a disgrace.

Also, remember that D-II opened its season the previous week and each D-II team already had a game under its belt.

patssle
September 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM
One of these days it's going to dawn on people that there isn't a whole lot of difference between D-II and FCS.

Agreed. There's a reason why D2 schools mostly do well when they move up to FCS...and why FCS schools usually DON'T do well when they move to FBS.

BEAR
September 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm UCA proud but I only wish we hadn't cooked up 6 turnovers for La. Tech to feast on. Heck, I think we were the better team, if not an equal in that game. I am rather dissapointed but the Tech crowd is extremly friendly and if our receivers actually make an effort to get the ball, wow...it's gonna be a great year! Go SLC! Go Bears. xthumbsupx xlolx

bisonguy
September 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Kind of like what last year's North Dakota/UNI game showed about the Gateway?

Fixed your post for you. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Fixed your post for you. xthumbsupx

Thanks. I went back and edited it.

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'm UCA proud but I only wish we hadn't cooked up 6 turnovers for La. Tech to feast on. Heck, I think we were the better team, if not an equal in that game. I am rather dissapointed but the Tech crowd is extremly friendly and if our receivers actually make an effort to get the ball, wow...it's gonna be a great year! Go SLC! Go Bears. xthumbsupx xlolx

Good GRIEF! I just looked at the stats for the first time. 28 first downs to La Tech's 13. 386 total yards to Tech's 261. I can understand why you're disappointed. No question in my mind your boys would've been in real good shape to win without the turnovers.

Really too bad. I'd have loved to have seen your guys knock Tech off. And it looks like there was real potential for it happening.

McTailGator
September 2nd, 2007, 10:36 PM

Another way to look at it is,

The SLC has played in 3 of the last 5 semi-final games. xthumbsupx

02, (McNeese)
04, (SHSU) &
05, TxSU)

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Another way to look at it is,

The SLC has played in 3 of the last 5 semi-final games. xthumbsupx

02, (McNeese)
04, (SHSU) &
05, TxSU)

And seven since 1995. Only two championship game appearances though...(thanks to one particular program...)...