PDA

View Full Version : SoCon after Week 1

ElonPride
September 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
App 34
Michigan 32
Only one thing to say about this game, simply amazing.

South Florida 28
Elon 13
USF fans say Elon gave USF all they could handle. Elon's true freshman QB Scott Riddle looks to be picking up right where Wes Pope left off. Riddle went 33-54 for 220 yards. Elon was only trailing 7-3 at the half. Riddle set an Elon record in his first game by completing 33 passes! Another solid performance by a SoCon team vs. an FBS team. USF is possibly a top 25 squad.

Alabama 52
WCU 6
An expected outcome

Wofford 38
Georgetown(KY) 21
I expected the score to be pretty onesided. Did Wofford pull their starters early?

Overall a great day for the SoCon!

psc2445
September 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
good showing Elon! i was impressed when i saw the score. Could you have won?

ElonPride
September 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
good showing Elon! i was impressed when i saw the score. Could you have won?

Apparently we could have. We had 2 turnovers in the red zone and missed a FG. But those are the what ifs. Good teams cause those turnovers, and that's what USF did.

We have an extremely young team, and for them to go in with a crowd of 30,000+ against a team that came off a huge bowl win last season, and play this well......it's a good moral victory.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
You forgot one

Furman 40 PC 16.

PC did a good job of stopping the run so we passed. PC played well but honestly the score should have been much worse. Furman was in the redzone three or four times without scoring due to fumbling and penalties.

Defense looked good except they gave up some big plays that is a little scary.

All told not a bad start but the turnovers and mental errors on the penalties need to stop or there will be some tough games ahead.

Also Citadel over CSU. Nice bit of revenge.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Elon's true freshman QB Scott Riddle looks to be picking up right where Wes Pope left off. Riddle went 33-54 for 220 yards.

54 passes??? Did Elon have a running play all game?

813Jag
September 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Apparently we could have. We had 2 turnovers in the red zone and missed a FG. But those are the what ifs. Good teams cause those turnovers, and that's what USF did.

We have an extremely young team, and for them to go in with a crowd of 30,000+ against a team that came off a huge bowl win last season, and play this well......it's a good moral victory.
Elon was in the game until the end. They only trailed at halftime 7-3 and believe me USF knew they had to work to win that game. I was impressed at the execution of Elon especially with a young QB.

ElonPride
September 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Opps, sorry for forgetting Furman and El Cid!!!!

PC is a pretty well coached team. We managed only a 28-0 win agianst them last year and they played us pretty close until the 3rd.

Good win for El Cid and a good tune up for the season.

terrierbob
September 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Wofford only awoke in the third quarter w/ a couple of long (one 99yd.) drives. The 2nd string qb, Widemeyer, hit a 20-30 yd. pass, which is always astonishing for WC. G'town is a solid team. I'd say they would do well in some of the weaker FCS conferences.

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
And don't forget GSU's impressive showing against Bye.

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Best game GSU has had in a long time...

CSUBUCDAD
September 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Opps, sorry for forgetting Furman and El Cid!!!!

PC is a pretty well coached team. We managed only a 28-0 win agianst them last year and they played us pretty close until the 3rd.

Good win for El Cid and a good tune up for the season.
I doubt very seriously any of the Cid players or coaches were looking at it as a tune up and after it was over, I can assure you none of the players did either. It was a hard hitting game that was won on a couple of miscues and mistakes in critical situations.

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
PC gave us fits with some good spread offense play. Apparently the team had to look at some old Byrnes High School film in order to have a guess at what PC was going to do. Still, for a first week, I thought the defense was sharp, especially up front.

Offensively, we were out of sync, dropped the ball several times, and had an uncharacteristic number of penalties....and still put up 40 points and 500+ yards. I think we'll be fine. Renaldo Gray was on target, Jordan Sorrells is practically a second starter (rotated him in and out) and RJ Webb is simply a stud. PC's entire defensive plan was to stop Felton, so he only got about 10 touches for 57 yards (plus a receiving TD). He barely played after the first quarter.

Needless to say, I feel a million times better about this team than I did after the home opener last year (Comeback win over Jacksonville State, completely devoid of offense).

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Halted that five-game losing streak.

ElonPride
September 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
It was a hard hitting game that was won on a couple of miscues and mistakes in critical situations.

Sorry man, but I don't buy that. El Cid had 419 of total offense to your 161. Turnovers were even. Both teams were heavily penalized. CSU only had 24 yards rushing!!! On top of that, CSU only had 6 first downs compared to 24 for El Cid. Looks like an old fashioned butt whoopin! The score seemingly should've been more lopsided.

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Wofford 38
Georgetown(KY) 21
I expected the score to be pretty onesided. Did Wofford pull their starters early?

Wofford didn't pull the starters until the last offensive drive. They played well at times, but not at others. They came out strong in the first quarter, let Georgetown take control in the second, and then regained controlmidway through the third, although Georgetown wouldn't go away and came back to get within 3 in the fourth.

Wofford should have won this game, and on paper, probably should have won by a bigger margin. Georgetown is a perennial power in NAIA and without a doubt could win some games in certain FCS conferences. I see this game from their perspective much like Appalachian saw their game against Michigan. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain and they gave it their best shot.

Good football isn't confined to any one division as we saw yesterday, so simply assuming Wofford would roll to a huge victory didn't take into account the whole story. Most Wofford fans realized this since we played them two years ago and won by 14, but I agree that the result looks underwhelming if you don't consider Georgetown's ability and program strength.

Laserlips
September 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM

Yep..

The last time I was so pleased with a game was when I watched our Eagles knock off "then" number one FURMAN in Statesboro two years ago.. xrolleyesx

Hey... Just a thought. Don't your folks come back into Paulson this year?

J. Pomeroy

Cocky
September 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Isn't Chattanoooga in the SOCON?

Baldy
September 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Isn't Chattanoooga in the SOCON?
Technically. xlolx

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I doubt very seriously any of the Cid players or coaches were looking at it as a tune up and after it was over, I can assure you none of the players did either. It was a hard hitting game that was won on a couple of miscues and mistakes in critical situations.

There were lots of hard hits, you are right about that, but they were mostly our defensive front whacking your backs. One of the CSU touchdowns was a gift after a fumbled punt (which we did twice), and CSU only had one legitimate scoring drive the whole game. Otherwise, the score really should have been more of the blowout that it was.

catamount man
September 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
WCU stunk up the joint again. I'm calling it RIGHT NOW, 0-11 in 2007 in Cullowhee.

The new no huddle offense moved at times, but our defense couldn't stop Alabama at all. You may say I'm crazy, but I'm telling ya, 0-11. Bet on it!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

bobbythekidd
September 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
WCU stunk up the joint again. I'm calling it RIGHT NOW, 0-11 in 2007 in Cullowhee.

The new no huddle offense moved at times, but our defense couldn't stop Alabama at all. You may say I'm crazy, but I'm telling ya, 0-11. Bet on it!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
Gosh CM. Your talking about Ala-freaking-bama! WCU is no App State. All things in perspective.

catamount man
September 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Gosh CM. Your talking about Ala-freaking-bama! WCU is no App State. All things in perspective.

It's more than the on the field play btk. Unless you're a Catamount supporter, you wouldn't understand. I hope I am proven wrong.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ElonPride
September 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
There were lots of hard hits, you are right about that, but they were mostly our defensive front whacking your backs. One of the CSU touchdowns was a gift after a fumbled punt (which we did twice), and CSU only had one legitimate scoring drive the whole game. Otherwise, the score really should have been more of the blowout that it was.

CID1990, after looking at the stats, I didn't buy his comments at all. 6 first downs? Looks like they weren't really in the game and it was miscues and mental mistakes by El Cid that made the score look somewhat respectable for CSU.

On paper, it looked like a fairly solid day for your offense & defense......special teams may need a little more fine tuning.xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Considering Furman had zero tape of what PC was going to do and PC had a long time Furman coach on their staff, I am very happy how the game went down.

LarryBoy
September 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yep..

The last time I was so pleased with a game was when I watched our Eagles knock off "then" number one FURMAN in Statesboro two years ago.. xrolleyesx

Hey... Just a thought. Don't your folks come back into Paulson this year?

J. Pomeroy

We do...and I have no shame in admitting that that game terrifies me...even if we're undefeated coming in.

walliver
September 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

But, you do get to play Chattanooga.:D

catamount man
September 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
But, you do get to play Chattanooga.:D

Okay, 1-10.(j/k Mocs)xthumbsupx

CID1990
September 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
CID1990, after looking at the stats, I didn't buy his comments at all. 6 first downs? Looks like they weren't really in the game and it was miscues and mental mistakes by El Cid that made the score look somewhat respectable for CSU.

On paper, it looked like a fairly solid day for your offense & defense......special teams may need a little more fine tuning.xthumbsupx

Big South has a couple fluky seasons and suddenly they are a powerhouse conference.

Things are now as they should be : The Citadel > CSU, and Delaware State > CCU. Heck, right now, VMI has a better record.

Millwoch
September 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM

The Citadel perfected its defensive game plan to a tee. They wanted to stop the run and they did. 55 of 160 total yards for the Bucs on offense came on one play(a pass in which the corner bit on play action and the receiver got behind him...I will give the Bucs credit for a nice play)...and that play tied the game in the first quarter. I thought the Citadel offense was a little sloppy, especially early. 4 fumbles but luckily we only lost 2. Not sure if it was the rain or not. We controlled the clock, holding the ball 13+ minutes longer than CSU and running 28 more offensive plays then CSU. We still easily reached 400+ yards total Offense..almost splitt 50/50 run/pass. Sorry Bucs but this was a warm up game when looking at the rest of the schedule. We have one more warm up, then we better play our best ball to beat the top of the SOCON.

Socon 1
Big South 0

Congrats to all the Socon winners this week, especially Appy. Sorry but I can't pull for ya anymore this year.(playoffs and against FU excluded)

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM

B.S. BucDad! We kicked y'alls ass all over Johnson Hagood Stadium. 24 yards rushingdoes that sound familiar? the first drive is indicitive of what we are going to do this season.

blueballs
September 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
We do...and I have no shame in admitting that that game terrifies me...even if we're undefeated coming in.

You can throw the records out the window in that rivalry, regardless of where it is played.-

Death Dealer
September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
We have one more warm up, then we better play our best ball to beat the top of the SOCON.
Socon 1
Big South 0

Congrats to all the Socon winners this week, especially Appy. Sorry but I can't pull for ya anymore this year.(playoffs and against FU excluded)
First off, WAKE UP!!!!! You're dreaming.

Second, keep pulling against us, we love dissapointing the Bellhops.xnodx It's a Furman tradition.xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Can't say I'm not surprised about WCU and Alabama. Just like with the App/UM game, you can't tell how good the team will be this year, and especially with Alabama, who has a first-year coach.

I seriously doubt that WCU will be last in the conference, though.

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
First off, WAKE UP!!!!! You're dreaming.

Second, keep pulling against us, we love dissapointing the Bellhops.xnodx It's a Furman tradition.xlolx

and we love y'all too. horse is a fine meal! it is served regulary in the Mess Hall!

Death Dealer
September 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
and we love y'all too. horse is a fine meal! it is served regulary in the Mess Hall!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Good one Citdog. Actually, after hearing some of the stories about the Citadel mess from a few of my Citadel grad friends, I can almost believe you're not joking!xlolx

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Good one Citdog. Actually, after hearing some of the stories about the Citadel mess from a few of my Citadel grad friends, I can almost believe your not joking!xlolx

my job as a mess carver was to make sure the meat was really dead. on fried chicken days there was never a seagull anywhere near the campus. coincidence?

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Did they tell you the story about when the Citadel boys came up trying to vandalize our campus and got their butts whipped by the Furman men? :)

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Did they tell you the story about when the Citadel boys came up trying to vandalize our campus and got their butts whipped by the Furman men? :)

you read to many Conroy books!

citdog
September 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Furman men? :)

who are they?xconfusedx

Eyes of Old Main
September 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
on fried chicken days there was never a seagull anywhere near the campus. coincidence?

Rats with wings.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I'd really like to hear from some Elon fans. That game against USF no one is talking about, but it looks like the Phoenix gave a good account for themselves. Perhaps they aren't going to be the pushover everyone thought they would be.

gophoenix
September 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'd really like to hear from some Elon fans. That game against USF no one is talking about, but it looks like the Phoenix gave a good account for themselves. Perhaps they aren't going to be the pushover everyone thought they would be.

Not much to say about it. Two red-zone turnovers and two missed field goals basically cost us the game. It was winnable, I just think we have a very young team that needs to mature but we have good leadership right now. We have 6 seniors on the entire roster and start at least 6 freshman on both offense and defense mainly, including the QB.

We controlled time of possession by nearly 10 minutes. We controlled the clock. We forced South Florida on their heels. And we forced them out of their game plan basically taking their QB out of the game and forcing them to get creative with that young ace RB.

Good game, moral victory, but still a loss. So that is about as far as it goes.

terrierbob
September 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm thinking we have a pretty strong conference this year.

ElonPride
September 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Not much to say about it. Two red-zone turnovers and two missed field goals basically cost us the game. It was winnable, I just think we have a very young team that needs to mature but we have good leadership right now. We have 6 seniors on the entire roster and start at least 6 freshman on both offense and defense mainly, including the QB.

We controlled time of possession by nearly 10 minutes. We controlled the clock. We forced South Florida on their heels. And we forced them out of their game plan basically taking their QB out of the game and forcing them to get creative with that young ace RB.

Good game, moral victory, but still a loss. So that is about as far as it goes.

If you go to the South Florida board, they didn't give us much credit for the game. BUT some sensible South Florida fans came over to our board to congratulate us for a tough game. One said something to the effect of, "Your true freshman QB is beast, as well as WR #19, and showed maturity beyond his years."

Pete Lembo was quoted as saying that, we "lost a winnable game due to mistakes."

I think the strong point for us this year is what people early aren't giving us ANY credit (because of the loss of Nkang)......DEFENSE. The defense will be anchored by Corey Weaver, who was shadowed by Nkang last year and quietly finished 5th in the league in tackles (98).

It's too early to tell what's going on, but I think Riddle (QB) will be pretty good.

Where will we finish in the conference? Right now it looks like it could be anywhere from 3rd to last!!!!

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM
i think it is more like last. that team we beat like we owned them last season is a poor excuse for a Southern Conference team.

SoCon48
September 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Must have been female cadets in uniform.

citdog
September 5th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Must have been female cadets in uniform.

we have no female Cadets. only female students who happen to wear a uniform.

Eyes of Old Main
September 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM

If they are armed, you might not want to show them "the little Brigadier".

Laserlips
September 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM

citdog:

Bet the "female students" you speak of and their family members & friends might chose to disagree with you.

If I had a daughter or granddaughter at the Citadel she would indeed be a "female cadet", and I would be offended at the idea that she was somehow considered "less" than a male "cadet by anyone..

JMOFO but I don't think the Iraq insurgents make a distinction as to whether or not U.S. female soldiers are fair game when they start shooting, do they? In fact, if anything, I'll bet a female soldier would be a preferred target over a male.

See, contrary to the way most of American's think the Iraq's don't consider women equal with men in any respect. Could you imagine any intelligent American soldier having an attitude like that? xwhistlex

Um..?

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

NashMoc
September 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I'm thinking we have a pretty strong conference this year.

I would like to apologize to the entire conference for whatever drag effect my Mocs will give the SoCon. I really thought that we had enough athletes to contend for the fourth spot. I have never seen a team with a third year starting QB with a veteran offensive line look so inept. These guys are so poorly coached.

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
citdog:

Bet the "female students" you speak of and their family members & friends might chose to disagree with you.

If I had a daughter or granddaughter at the Citadel she would indeed be a "female cadet", and I would be offended at the idea that she was somehow considered "less" than a male "cadet by anyone..

JMOFO but I don't think the Iraq insurgents make a distinction as to whether or not U.S. female soldiers are fair game when they start shooting, do they? In fact, if anything, I'll bet a female soldier would be a preferred target over a male.

See, contrary to the way most of American's think the Iraq's don't consider women equal with men in any respect. Could you imagine any intelligent American soldier having an attitude like that? xwhistlex

Um..?

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

you self righteous prck! they are not Cadets, should never have been made Cadets by the Yankee Occupiers the US Govt, and will never be Cadets! the family members of these college chicks in uniform can disagree all they want, their opinion means nothing to me nor most of us who were members of the Assoc. of Citadel MEN! if they, or you, don't like it then go to VMI!

lizrdgizrd
September 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
you self righteous prck! they are not Cadets, should never have been made Cadets by the Yankee Occupiers the US Govt, and will never be Cadets! the family members of these college chicks in uniform can disagree all they want, their opinion means nothing to me nor most of us who were members of the Assoc. of Citadel MEN! if they, or you, don't like it then go to VMI!
See what happens when you let a little estrogen into the Citadel? The men go all soft and start crying! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM
See what happens when you let a little estrogen into the Citadel? The men go all soft and start crying! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

gizrd's just pissed his bbq sucks!

lizrdgizrd
September 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
gizrd's just pissed his bbq sucks!
I take my bbq like I take my women. On my plate with a side of hush puppies. xconfusedx

ElonPride
September 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Okay ladies, who hijacked the thread?

Let's get back on topic.

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Okay ladies, who hijacked the thread?

Let's get back on topic.

OK SO WHY IS ELON AN EMBARRASMENT TO HAVE IN THE SOCON.,.......

DISCUSS!

Black and Gold Express
September 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the inspiration for that new Cavemen television show. It wasn't the Geico commercials, it was this moron.

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the inspiration for that new Cavemen television show. It wasn't the Geico commercials, it was this moron.

caveman i may be in your eyes, but since you have no idea about the subject on which you post i will let it slide.xreadx

walliver
September 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I would like to apologize to the entire conference for whatever drag effect my Mocs will give the SoCon. I really thought that we had enough athletes to contend for the fourth spot. I have never seen a team with a third year starting QB with a veteran offensive line look so inept. These guys are so poorly coached.

Look on the bright side, you get to play Samford next year.xnodx

Laserlips
September 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM

citdog:

Um... "Yankee Occupiers"?

You are too stupid to be taken seriously. xazzx

J. Pomeroy

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
citdog:

Um... "Yankee Occupiers"?

You are too stupid to be taken seriously. xazzx

J. Pomeroy

South Carolina is in her 142 year of occupation by a foreign government. you are too stupid and reconstructed to know or recognize this fact!xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

LarryBoy
September 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
South Carolina is in her 142 year of occupation by a foreign government. you are too stupid and reconstructed to know or recognize this fact!xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

Um....wow. I just would like to throw this out there: not all South Carolinians are like this. Promise.

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Um....wow. I just would like to throw this out there: not all South Carolinians are like this. Promise.

purplelarryboy is right. some scalawags, OL FU, have allowed yankee propaganda make them feel ashamed of their ancestors and what they did during our 2nd Revolution.

Laserlips
September 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM

citdog:

You simply cannot be this stupid..

I'm a senior citizen, from Georgia no less... In the 1950's I used the "White only" bathrooms and water fountains, in the 1960's I had a rebel tag on the front of my car. When the radio stations signed off they played "DIXIE", and it would bring tears to my eyes.. I was ALMOST as stupid then, as you are NOW.

My only excuse was that I was raised in a redneck society in a racist/sexist time, and everyone I knew (all white of course) was just like me. Thank the good Lord in the ensuing decades I have learned that just because a person is another color, or sex, does not mean they are somehow less than those of us with lighter skin, or gonads between our legs. A person is just a person.. Male, female, black, white, whatever.. Just an individual.

I sincerely hope that ignorance such as you display is not a common trait for cadets at the Citadel.. Male cadets, OR female cadets.

You are an embarrassment to the CITADEL and if you seriously think in 2007 the Citadel is somehow being occupied by a foreign Government, the U.S. Government, you are in serious need of therapy and medication.

I'm thru with this little conversation because you simply are not intelligent enough to carry on your half of it.

Loser.

J. Pomeroy

citdog
September 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
citdog:

I'm a senior citizen, from Georgia no less... In the 1950's I used the "White only" bathrooms and water fountains, in the 1960's I had a rebel tag on the front of my car. When the radio stations signed off they played "DIXIE", and it would bring tears to my eyes.. I was ALMOST as stupid then, as you are NOW.

My only excuse was that I was raised in a redneck society in a racist/sexist time, and everyone I knew (all white of course) was just like me. Thank the good Lord in the ensuing decades I have learned that just because a person is another color, or sex, does not mean they are somehow less than those of us with lighter skin, or gonads between our legs. A person is just a person.. Male, female, black, white, whatever.. Just an individual.

I sincerely hope that ignorance such as you display is not a common trait for cadets at the Citadel.. Male cadets, OR female cadets.

You are an embarrassment to the CITADEL and if you seriously think in 2007 the Citadel is somehow being occupied by a foreign Government, the U.S. Government, you are in serious need of therapy and medication.

I'm thru with this little conversation because you simply are not intelligent enough to carry on your half of it.

Loser.

J. Pomeroy

IT IS YOU WHO ARE THE LOSER. IT IS YOU WHO IN YOUR IGNORANCE EQUATED OUR STRUGGLE FOR INDEPENDENCE WITH RACISIM. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE "REBEL TAG" YOU HAD ON THE FRONT OF YOUR CAR. IF YOU MEAN THE FLAG OF THE INDEPENDENT AND SOVEREIGN CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA, I THINK YOU CHEAPENED A SACRED SYMBOL BY HAVING IT PUT ON SOMETHING AS PETTY AND LOW AS A CAR LISCENSE PLATE. AS FAR AS THE ADMISSIONS POLICY AT MY COLLEGE, WE LOST A VERY CLOSE SUPREME COURT DECISION THAT WE WOULD NOW WIN WITH THE NEW MAKEUP OF THE COURT. THE JUSTICE DEPT OF A PRESIDENT NOT KNOWN FOR HIS GOOD FEELINGS TOWARDS THE MILITARY AND A MILITANT FEMINIST FOR A WIFE PRESIDED OVER THE LARGEST PUBLICLY FUNDED BIG GAME SAFARI IN THE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN COURTS. SINGLE GENDER EDUCATION HAD, AND HAS VALUE. IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT UP TO A VOTE OF THE TAXPAYERS OF THIS GREAT STATE IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN CLOSE. ALL THE CITADEL, LIKE THE CONFEDERACY, WANTED WAS TO BE LEFT ALONE. I PERSONALLY FEEL SORRY AND ASHAMED FOR YOU. YOU HAVE ALLOWED OUTSIDERS, THE SAME ONES WHO LAID WASTE TO YOUR PEOPLES LAND, INSULTED YOUR WOMEN, STOLE YOUR PROPERTY, AND RUINED THE ECONOMY OF YOUR STATE TO ALLOW YOU TO TELL YOU WHAT IT WAS THAT MADE THEM TAKE UP ARMS IN DEFENSE OF THEIR STATE. IT IS YOU SIR WHO IS AN EMBARASSMENT, AND WHEN YOU GET TO HEAVEN........ YOUR PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU SO.

HERE'S HOPING YOU REDISCOVER SOME OF YOUR SOUTHERN PRIDE!

KEVIN

I TOO, AM THROUGH WITH YOU AND FROM NOW ON YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON ON MY IGNORE LIST. FRANKLY THE SMELL OF YOU MAKES ME SICK!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
purplelarryboy is right. some scalawags, OL FU, have allowed yankee propaganda make them feel ashamed of their ancestors and what they did during our 2nd Revolution.

I'm proud of them resisting the expanding hegemony of the big banks and trying to protect true federalism. I'm ashamed of them for fighting to preserve slavery. In many ways the south was the lesser of the two evils.

Anyways, we're digressing. I'm thinking the Socon is 8-0 this week.

gophoenix
September 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I agree with points citdog makes.

The Citadel was a Men's school. The Citadel was essentially tricked into accepting a female and thus opening itself to the crap that let female in. Why is it so bad to sponsor a men's only school? After all, that is what the problem was, The Citadel was male only.

After all. Public funds go to build women's only dorms, women's sororities buildings, women's only clubs at schools, women's affairs buildings, go to fund women's studies as a major. There is still plenty of public funding to give women an "edge" in school because they are called a minority even though they beat out male enrollment. There is still affirmative action. There is still special scholarships in lots of states for women funded by public funds. There is plenty of female only crap that is funded by public money....

The real issue is that women's groups (not all women) want not equality, they want "better" without the "bad" that goes along with equality.

So yes, I think Citdog has a right to be mad that his University was used as a tool by the women's movement to create "equality" in this area while the same group pushed for inequality in others at the same time.

We all have traditions and a lot of the PC movement is killing many traditions nationwide. The Citadel had this tradition. Many of our mascots have been killed off. And there are many other examples.... And when people hold on to traditions, passionately sometimes, people are really quick pull the bigotry and xxx-ism (sexism, racism, etc) cards because it is a quick way to publicly stop any argument.

So,even though he managed to blast another insult at Elon, I'll still sit here and back up the main idea of what he is saying, just not some of the specifics that he quotes.

But I will agree with him. Federalism vs Republic really ended with the War, whatever you want to call it, and the basic invasion of Northern politicians into the South in the late 1800s. And really, what has federalism gotten us? Social Security, Federal health care, federal taxes that should not exist, removing of the voice of the states in the government, and has ultimately lead to the exact issues that people complain about with Bush. Bush is a federalist.

ALL THE CITADEL, LIKE THE CONFEDERACY, WANTED WAS TO BE LEFT ALONE.

This is basically it. I love how some people complain about conservatives pushing their values on others while the rest push their secular values on the rest of us. Secularism is becoming the new conservativism. But the fact remains, most of these issues are STATE issues and should be the discretion of the state. We have 50 states for people to choose from. If you do not like your state's laws, move somewhere else or change your state. If you are in another state and don't like the values of a separate state, big deal, you do not live there or have the "right" to change it any more than you have the right to change Canada.

And Citdog is right. Single-gender education has a place. Whether it is completely gender isolated sides of campus like at Campbell or single-gender like at Sweet Briar, Randolph Macon Women's College or Hampden-Sydney ... these colleges still exist, though in the private sector.

But then it all begs the question. In a capitalist society where we tout privatization of everything, why not stop the public funding of universities altogether and leave it up to private donations, small grants and so on .... why make the rest of us subsidize the university education of others?

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Y'all go moan somewhere else. We're talking football here.

ElonPride
September 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM
OK SO WHY IS ELON AN EMBARRASMENT TO HAVE IN THE SOCON.,.......

DISCUSS!

Seems to be that you're the embarrassment.......now get back to talkin' football!

Death Dealer
September 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Off topic for just a second. There are in existence right now, single gender schools that receive public funding, they just happen to be "all women", so that no self-respecting man would be caught dead trying to go to one of them. But you don't see any of the so-called "equality" overlords trying to gender-integrate these institutions. The Citadel was the victim of a feminazi conspiracy ( I use that term reluctantly, for lack of a better one, realizing that it will be equated with Rush, whom I, for the record, hate with a passion. I mean, you want to talk about Nazi! But, that's another thread better suited to the poli lounge, as is the last couple of pages of this thread).

Now, back to football, which is really why we are all here. I think the SOCON has a very good chance of going 6-2 this week. I'd go for 8-0, but Western and Chatty don't give me much hope.

I am excited to see our conference looking so good, and spirits so high. I am eager to see GSU's debut this weekend. This may seem weird coming from a Vermin, but I want GSU to have a good season. It makes it that much sweeter when we hand them their @$$ in a hat in Paulson. I mean, honestly, beating them last season was like screwing a hooker. Sure, it felt good, but it wasn't exactly what you'd call special. And Elon looked good on Saturday! That's good for us all. Hell, if all goes well, we might even slip three teams in the top ten this week. Overall, I think it's going to be a good season for the SOCON!xnodx

SCPALADIN
September 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
IT IS YOU WHO ARE THE LOSER. IT IS YOU WHO IN YOUR IGNORANCE EQUATED OUR STRUGGLE FOR INDEPENDENCE WITH RACISIM. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE "REBEL TAG" YOU HAD ON THE FRONT OF YOUR CAR. IF YOU MEAN THE FLAG OF THE INDEPENDENT AND SOVEREIGN CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA, I THINK YOU CHEAPENED A SACRED SYMBOL BY HAVING IT PUT ON SOMETHING AS PETTY AND LOW AS A CAR LISCENSE PLATE. AS FAR AS THE ADMISSIONS POLICY AT MY COLLEGE, WE LOST A VERY CLOSE SUPREME COURT DECISION THAT WE WOULD NOW WIN WITH THE NEW MAKEUP OF THE COURT. THE JUSTICE DEPT OF A PRESIDENT NOT KNOWN FOR HIS GOOD FEELINGS TOWARDS THE MILITARY AND A MILITANT FEMINIST FOR A WIFE PRESIDED OVER THE LARGEST PUBLICLY FUNDED BIG GAME SAFARI IN THE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN COURTS. SINGLE GENDER EDUCATION HAD, AND HAS VALUE. IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT UP TO A VOTE OF THE TAXPAYERS OF THIS GREAT STATE IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN CLOSE. ALL THE CITADEL, LIKE THE CONFEDERACY, WANTED WAS TO BE LEFT ALONE. I PERSONALLY FEEL SORRY AND ASHAMED FOR YOU. YOU HAVE ALLOWED OUTSIDERS, THE SAME ONES WHO LAID WASTE TO YOUR PEOPLES LAND, INSULTED YOUR WOMEN, STOLE YOUR PROPERTY, AND RUINED THE ECONOMY OF YOUR STATE TO ALLOW YOU TO TELL YOU WHAT IT WAS THAT MADE THEM TAKE UP ARMS IN DEFENSE OF THEIR STATE. IT IS YOU SIR WHO IS AN EMBARASSMENT, AND WHEN YOU GET TO HEAVEN........ YOUR PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU SO.

HERE'S HOPING YOU REDISCOVER SOME OF YOUR SOUTHERN PRIDE!

KEVIN

I TOO, AM THROUGH WITH YOU AND FROM NOW ON YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON ON MY IGNORE LIST. FRANKLY THE SMELL OF YOU MAKES ME SICK!

Our tax dollars at work...xoopsx
Two 'prominent' alumns and one cadet (all male) arrested on cocaine related charges in a little over a year...then there's good ol pederass Robin Vanderwall up in Virginia trying to pick up 13 year old boys. One in 25 men surveyed in 2006 reported being sexually assaulted since joining The Citadel. Yeah, women destroyed your college...ahh the future leaders of South Carolina xrolleyesx

Off the soapbox...I concur, SoCon goes 8-0 this weekend with Furman taking care of the "Yankee b@st@ards" on Long Island.

LarryBoy
September 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Hey, look! A football!

SCPALADIN
September 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hey, look! A football!

Here's hoping we hold on to it in the Red Zone on Saturday up in New York...xprost2x

Eyes of Old Main
September 6th, 2007, 11:13 PM
While I applaud the fact that this discussion has thus far been "schmeckle-free", I think it would be best to refocus our attention on FOOTBALL.

gophoenix
September 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM
While I applaud the fact that this discussion has thus far been "schmeckle-free", I think it would be best to refocus our attention on FOOTBALL.

That isn't nearly as fun.... unless Elon wins consistently.

Laserlips
September 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Death Dealer

I am excited to see our conference looking so good, and spirits so high. I am eager to see GSU's debut this weekend. This may seem weird coming from a Vermin, but I want GSU to have a good season. It makes it that much sweeter when we hand them their @$$ in a hat in Paulson. [/QUOTE]

Death Dealer:

Paulson hasn't been too friendly to our friends from FURMAN in the past I believe... Don't think you are any happier to be coming to see us at "our house" than our Eagles are looking forward to giving you a warm welcome...

Any GSU/Furman game is always a good indicator of how well our respective teams are doing in any particular season, and this year will be no different. The GSU/Furman rivalry always makes for good football, and in this season of rebuilding for the GSU football team I'm glad the game is in Statesboro.

Hope both of our schools do well this year. The SOCON is looking pretty good after our mutual opponent App State knocked off Michigan last week.

Now after our Eagles beat App State (in Boone no less) and then we beat your guys in Statesboro I think we can safely say GSU had a very good year. xthumbsupx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Please remember I'm a GSU "homer".. (Boone has been no kinder in years past to our Eagles than Paulson has been to your Paladins).

Eyes of Old Main
September 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM

So you are saying you'd rather talk about another guy's schmeckle than football just because Elon isn't winning consistently?

CID1990
September 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM
citdog:

Loser.

J. Pomeroy

So you drank the Kool Aid, I see.

citdog
September 7th, 2007, 08:33 AM
So you are saying you'd rather talk about another guy's schmeckle than football just because Elon isn't winning consistently?

unh or jon doppelganger!

CID1990
September 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Our tax dollars at work...xoopsx
Two 'prominent' alumns and one cadet (all male) arrested on cocaine related charges in a little over a year...then there's good ol pederass Robin Vanderwall up in Virginia trying to pick up 13 year old boys. One in 25 men surveyed in 2006 reported being sexually assaulted since joining The Citadel. Yeah, women destroyed your college...ahh the future leaders of South Carolina xrolleyesx

Off the soapbox...I concur, SoCon goes 8-0 this weekend with Furman taking care of the "Yankee b@st@ards" on Long Island.

That survey was an internal one, done by General Rosa, and the findings were flawed, because most of the male cadets did not take it seriously. In fact, if I recall correctly, a larger percentage of male cadets alleged assaults than the women did. If that survey had been given to me in the 90's, I would have checked "YES" for the hell of it. Nice try, but you pointed out a survey that we did on ourselves, not one by some investigative body.

As of the rest of your post, as I have said before, you can point to all of our specific alumni who have gotten in trouble in recent years precisely because there are so few of them.

I agree with your SoCon Week 2 assessment.

lizrdgizrd
September 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
With the way you played last week, you might be closer to consistency than you think. xthumbsupx

I thought you'd given up on Elon football. :P

SCPALADIN
September 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
In fact, if I recall correctly, a larger percentage of male cadets alleged assaults than the women did.
Actually, 1 in 5 women cadets reported being sexually assaulted...that would be 5X the percentage of men.

As of the rest of your post, as I have said before, you can point to all of our specific alumni who have gotten in trouble in recent years precisely because there are so few of them.

Interesting theory...definitely explains all of the PC, Furman, and Woffy alumns and students in the news for drugs and sex related charges. (That was sarcasm)xeyebrowx

Back to football...Go SoCon!! 8-0 this week would be fantastic. With the overall strength of the conference this year we should strive to put 3 teams in the playoffs again.xthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
September 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
The thread title should be:

SoCon after 1865.:(

take it somewhere else guys!

Death Dealer
September 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Death Dealer:

Paulson hasn't been too friendly to our friends from FURMAN in the past I believe... Don't think you are any happier to be coming to see us at "our house" than our Eagles are looking forward to giving you a warm welcome...

Any GSU/Furman game is always a good indicator of how well our respective teams are doing in any particular season, and this year will be no different. The GSU/Furman rivalry always makes for good football, and in this season of rebuilding for the GSU football team I'm glad the game is in Statesboro.

Hope both of our schools do well this year. The SOCON is looking pretty good after our mutual opponent App State knocked off Michigan last week.

Now after our Eagles beat App State (in Boone no less) and then we beat your guys in Statesboro I think we can safely say GSU had a very good year. xthumbsupx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Please remember I'm a GSU "homer".. (Boone has been no kinder in years past to our Eagles than Paulson has been to your Paladins).
No worries J. I am an FU homer, so I know where you are coming from and take no offense in you supporting your team. Just so you know, you boys are gonna need all the mojo Paulson can give you and then some, because we are coming to Statesboro to put a big purple hoof print on the 50 yard line. xeekx Yeah baby!!!!!xlolx xlolx

SU DOG
September 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Look on the bright side, you get to play Samford next year.xnodx

Playing Samford next year may not be the easy task that most of the SoCon thinks. We shall see. xsmiley_wix

Laserlips
September 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
No worries J. I am an FU homer, so I know where you are coming from and take no offense in you supporting your team. Just so you know, you boys are gonna need all the mojo Paulson can give you and then some, because we are coming to Statesboro to put a big purple hoof print on the 50 yard line. xeekx Yeah baby!!!!!xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer:

To be serious for a moment.. We have absolutely no clue as to how our Eagles will do this season.. We are trying to recover from the absolute worse season in modern GSU football, and from having our program basically dismantled and tossed under the bus by BVGoober.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that we have a new Coach in Chris Hatcher and he seems to be the "real deal".. Coach Hatcher has been embraced by the GSU community in a big way, and even if this season isn't successful by GSU standards, (playoffs at least) I'm sure he will be given considerable slack to get his players and program in order. In other words if our team doesn't have a great year I don't think anyone but the retards will be calling for his head, like we have been so guilty of in the past.

Also, GSU does have some quality athletes.. Some of these young men were absolutely misused, underused, NOT used last season, but that doesn't mean they weren't talented, just that the dumb donkey that was running the show didn't know what to do with them..

So here we have opening day for GSU football in 2007. We have high expectations and we have the Coach we want, and apparently, with the exception of a kicker, (I just don't know if someone has come along to solve that problem) we have pretty good personnel at most positions.

So, we are in a rebuilding season, but I think we'll surprise some folks..

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

SoCon48
September 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Playing Samford next year may not be the easy task that most of the SoCon thinks. We shall see. xsmiley_wix
There may be a couple SoCon teams that Samford might beat next year.xcoffeex

citdog
September 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
There may be a couple SoCon teams that Samford might beat next year.xcoffeex

that's true, they are a good addition but we need to get back into Virginia.

ElonPride
September 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
that's true, they are a good addition but we need to get back into Virginia.

The SoCon should go after Hampton.

SCPALADIN
September 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
The SoCon should go after Hampton.

NEVER going to happen.

ElonPride
September 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
NEVER going to happen.

It was just wishful thinking!xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
It was just wishful thinking!xsmiley_wix