PDA

View Full Version : UT Martin Season Opener

Weems
September 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
I was at the game, and first of all, i would like to say i was very surprised at the fan support we had. Yes, there might have been 100 and change, but for most of the fans to travel over 7 hours to see the game, i am very shocked, especially knowing the kind of fan support we have xnonox

Anyways, UTM got handed a pretty good defeat, 35-13, but Did UTM represent the FCS well? Talking to some USM fans, they thought( They were drunk too) that we were a pretty dominate team in the FCS.. ha ha.

So back to my question, seeing the score on ESPN, What were your initial thoughts? I know this thread will probably be thrown to the back considering APP States HUGE win, and i don't blame it, What an awesome feat!!! xthumbsupx

Weems
September 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
bump

Maroons
September 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
I was surprised and impressed. I thought that only UTM and EIU represented the OVC well this past weekend. You are the early favorites in my book.

mistersykes
September 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Southern Miss is a borderline top 25 team in the FBS this year. There is definitely no shame in that score. Way to represent FCS, UT-M!

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'll admit, I had dropped UTM from my preseason poll for Week 1. You guys were near the bottom, so the loss hurt. To be fair though, the whole thing will be blown up by the end of September xpeacex

I will say though that I'm keeping a close eye on UTM the rest of the way, and certainly expect them to at very least factor heavily in the OVC race. Nice job with a Southern Miss side that's always tough. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Anyways, UTM got handed a pretty good defeat, 35-13, but Did UTM represent the FCS well? Talking to some USM fans, they thought( They were drunk too) that we were a pretty dominate team in the FCS.. ha ha.

I know from dealing with them on message boards a couple of years ago when McNeese played them with a non-playoff team that they have no clue...even with respect to their own history. Southern Miss is historically only 3-2 against I-AA teams that went on to make the playoffs yet they still apparently think that they should just be able to walk over any I-AA/FCS team regardless of how good it is and that if an FCS offers them the least bit of resistance it must be "dominant."

Having said that, my thought when I saw the score is that UTM did a respectable job.

hawkeye
September 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I was at the game, and first of all, i would like to say i was very surprised at the fan support we had. Yes, there might have been 100 and change, but for most of the fans to travel over 7 hours to see the game, i am very shocked, especially knowing the kind of fan support we have xnonox

So back to my question, seeing the score on ESPN, What were your initial thoughts? I know this thread will probably be thrown to the back considering APP States HUGE win, and i don't blame it, What an awesome feat!!! xthumbsupx

Just back from the weekend and glad to see your post Mr. Weems.

I can tell you from my point of view, it was exciting at halftime. To still be in the ballgame (14-6) at that point was a feat in itself. USM outweighed us on avg 30pds across the line. Our defensive line literally had to look up to look at the face of Southern Ms offensive lineman. Coach Boone and the defensive staff knew going in that Fletcher could turn the lights out and be in bed before dark struck.
I think we should have a promising season. One thing for sure, we will not see another running back like Fletcher. Nor will we see a larger offensive line and nasty defense like USM. We should be ok with the 2 injuries we suffered and it does look promising for the Skyhawks. Very respectable indeed. xthumbsupx

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
I was Looking forward to seeing your reply, Hawkeye. :) I believe we did represent the FCS very well, and the game was extremely exciting even halfway into the 3rd quarter. The play calling in the first quarter was great, exciting, and very helpful! Deep pass play followed by a WR end around showed USM that we were there to play football, not to get our check. BTW, who got hurt? I saw one player get cramped towards the end (i think it was a cramp) and then our center was hurt also... Any followups on that?

TheValleyRaider
I'll admit, I had dropped UTM from my preseason poll for Week 1. You guys were near the bottom, so the loss hurt. To be fair though, the whole thing will be blown up by the end of September

You dropped UTM after their performance against a FBS school? Please explain why someone would do that. Is it just because they got an L? Just curious :D

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
You dropped UTM after their performance against a FBS school? Please explain why someone would do that. Is it just because they got an L? Just curious :D

Fair question. That's pretty much it. I did a lot of restructuring of the poll considering this weekend was the first I had taken a real good look at it since first putting it together back in May. UTM ended up pretty low, and the usual shuffling that goes on at the bottom put them out so others could move up and in. At this point in the season, if UTM wins next week, or the next two weeks, they'll be right back in.

I do try to be honest with people about the whole thing, and UTM is far from gone. End up 2-1 and you'll be right back in. By that point of courses, the whole thing will have been redone since I'll have a more accurate picture of the country. If UTM's won their games, no doubt they'll get a solid ranking.

Besides, if you miss out on the AGS Top 25, it probably won't be because of me xpeacex

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
haha, ya, i understand, i just didn't know how people did that kind of thing. I'm new to FCS football, started following last year when i attended UTM. Obviously they count W/L, but i didn't know if it was weighed heavily when against a FBS foe..xthumbsupx

OSRacer
September 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I thought that UTM had very good showing. USM will beat teams in their conference by more than they beat UTM....

hawkeye
September 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I thought that UTM had very good showing. USM will beat teams in their conference by more than they beat UTM....

I was really shocked about you guys and the score. That coach showed no class at all running the score up like they did. That is really very poor and shows little class. Its a round world. No sense in that. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

hawkeye
September 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I was Looking forward to seeing your reply, Hawkeye. :) I believe we did represent the FCS very well, and the game was extremely exciting even halfway into the 3rd quarter. The play calling in the first quarter was great, exciting, and very helpful! Deep pass play followed by a WR end around showed USM that we were there to play football, not to get our check. BTW, who got hurt? I saw one player get cramped towards the end (i think it was a cramp) and then our center was hurt also... Any followups on that?

Defensive lineman and offensive lineman could be out for several weeks. Not known just yet and Im sure Coach Simpson will let us know on his talk show. He cannot give explicit medical details due to privacy but Im sure he will let us know who will and will not make a showing. Still going to be an exciting year.

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I was really shocked about you guys and the score. That coach showed no class at all running the score up like they did. That is really very poor and shows little class. Its a round world. No sense in that. Good luck to you guys the rest of the year.

Very much agree. Murray State is a young team. Hopefully, it will not happen again :(

Hawkeye, did you have good seats at the game?

hawkeye
September 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Very much agree. Murray State is a young team. Hopefully, it will not happen again :(

Hawkeye, did you have good seats at the game?

Excellent seats or view should I say. Close enough to hear and see the coaches make a call.............................................. ........

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
haha, pretty good i should say :) I sat on the Goal line, but was glad that Southern Miss had their brand new scoreboard :)

ShowMeBear2
September 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well UTM looks like we have you next,or my team Da Bears that is. Cannot wait for game,have to listen to it on radio.

Weems
September 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
ya, i was wondering if yall had a message board or anything?? i did a quick search, and only found something that looked to be dead for quite a while :/

douglasdmb
September 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
ya, i was wondering if yall had a message board or anything?? i did a quick search, and only found something that looked to be dead for quite a while :/

www.letsgobears.com

xthumbsupx

You'll need to register for an account, but it's a quick process. Feel free to come on by and give us the ol' scouting report.