PDA

View Full Version : I wish it was still "I-AA."

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I wasn't in favor of the name change to begin with but after listening to coverage yesterday, I feel more strongly that way. The "FCS/FBS" thing is nothing but a source of ridicule. Plus, as far as everyone beyond people like us is concerned, it's still "I-AA." "FCS" or "Championship Subdivision" just doesn't come off well. At least I don't think so.

And you're not going to stop people from calling it "D-II" or saying things to imply it's not "D-I" by changing the name. Not going to happen.

In fact, on my drive back from the McNeese game last night I heard App called "D-II" during a rant by a radio talk show guy on how Michigan had "...no business losing that game."

JMU1992
September 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I think it would be a lot easier if they just went with I-FBS and I-FCS

lambertjr
September 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
It was rather amusing listening to the commentators fumbling over the correct name.
If they would have just not tried to fix something that isn't broke we wouldn't be having this issue.

Golden Eagle
September 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Brent Musburger used "Playoff Division" and "Bowl Division" last night. Worked for me.

Ram Ball
September 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
I like the Musberger categories. How long before someone distinguishes them as Money Makers vs. Non-Money Makers or In the Black vs. In the Red...

ChickenMan
September 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I know most fans here probably won't agree.. but I say cut all the BS and make it:

DI... (FBS)

DII... (FCS)

DIII... (DII)

DIV... (DIII)

at least then most people would understand the different classifications label the divisions correctly.

No_Skill
September 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Yep I saw this a couple of times. The worst was when someone said "...FCS or whatever it's called now..."

Ouch. xsmhx

This stuff is not good for the subdivision. It makes us seem comical.

At first I didn't care either way about the name change. Now I think it was a bad decision.

Hopefully, it will work itself out given a little time.

Russ B
September 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Someone was calling it "the division formerly known as I-AA" last night. Heh.

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I can't stand the new names......I don't use I-AA because I'm afraid that someone will have a conniption around here.........xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I say Bowl Division/Playoff Division is the best terminology to use.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
When the Winston Cup changed names to the Nextel Cup, I refused to acknowledge the change but it soon became customary. The difference here is that the announcers are not doing it right because they keep saying "formerly known as" or "whatever they call it now" every single time they talk about it. I don't think they give the public enough credit to know what is what.
And about the comment that we should just change to D2... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
We are Division 1 sports for every single sport we play. The name change is not primarily about football (it affects football the most) but it is about high school basketball and baseball recruits being told by schools like Ball State and Miami of Ohio not to go to Youngstown or Delaware to play sports because they are just "Division 1-AA". That is where the significance of all of this name change is in. We lose recruits in other sports because they want to go to a program where they can win on the biggest stage and they are getting confused by us being referred to as a lower classification.
To the announcers: just call us the FCS or like Brent Mussberger says "Playoff Division" and move on! Quit this ammature, "i'm being told to say this even though I don't believe it" rhetorical talk and get over it. I think everyone now refers to NASCAR as the Nextel Cup now; same will happen here!!!! (sorry about the rant)

SIUallDay
September 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
screw all of that and just put all of thr FBS/1-AA and FCS/1-AA schools in ONE DIVISION like they do in basketball....that'll never happen because the BCS schools don't want to lose all of their money and their $11-$18 mil payout from the BCS bowl games....

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I don't like it mainly because they really blew it with the name. Musberger's "Playoff Division" sounds perfect. Short, to the point, makes the distinction. Love it. The rumored proposed names, BCS and PCS, were in this same mould. FCS and FBS? Doesn't quite do it for me, but honestly, it doesn't really matter. They'll eventually stop using the "formerly known as" and "used to be".

Within 3 years, it'll be like the names I-A and I-AA never existed xtwocentsx

Retro
September 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
The more abbreviations, acronyms, dashes, etc., the more confusing... Just modify the current names to this.....

BOWL DIVISION - Leave off sub and don't use FBS..

PLAYOFF DIVISION - Leave of sub and don't use FCS..

It's all Division I and if they use those 2 names: Bowl and Playoff division, more people will grasp it better and quicker and learn to identify the two and distinquish the teams better..

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
The more abbreviations, acronyms, dashes, etc., the more confusing... Just modify the current names to this.....

BOWL DIVISION - Leave off sub and don't use FBS..

PLAYOFF DIVISION - Leave of sub and don't use FCS..

It's all Division I and if they use those 2 names: Bowl and Playoff division, more people will grasp it better and quicker and learn to identify the two and distinquish the teams better..

My guess it that the BCS teams (and Bowls) don't want to use those terms because it reminds everyone that a playoff system could be used. ;)

RadMann
September 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
In this first year with the new names it is even more confusing. On ESPN listening to Holtz and company, if I had not been an FCS fan and known better I would have interpreted their comments to mean that ASU was previously in I-AA but was now division I-A. It was very confusing....

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Today on the way to Church I was talking to my wife about all the football happenings yesterday and trying to use the new terminology. Finally, I just said, "I'm just going to say 'I-AA' and 'I-A."

She said, "Good, because otherwise I don't know what the heck you're talking about."

Just one more illustration, I think.

FargoBison
September 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
I know most fans here probably won't agree.. but I say cut all the BS and make it:

DI... (FBS)

DII... (FCS)

DIII... (DII)

DIV... (DIII)

at least then most people would understand the different classifications label the divisions correctly.

I don't agree with calling DI schools DII, they should have just called it Bowl Division and Playoff Division.

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
This has bothered me since the switch was made. I've used FCS here, as Mainejeff, out of fear of the repercussions of any zealots that might want to jump on me or give me negative rep points for "not being politically correct". But after yesterday, I don't just dislike the FCS designation, I hate it.

The DI, DII, DIII, DIV thing would work, except it makes us seem like we are the current D-II which isn't a place any of us want to be. Using the playoff or bowl division names is OK, but still doesn't signify us as members of Division I. But then again, even within FBS, you have BCS and non-BCS leagues to muddy the waters.

I think everyone in Division I should be called Division I. Either by bringing back the I-A and I-AA designations, or by calling everyone D-I with some conferences participating in the BCS, some just in the bowls, and some in the playoffs. That would solve our marketing problems, and make things easier to follow and easier for sportscasters to report.

We already have the precedent since the Ivies and the SWAC are part of our classification, play OOC games against other schools that participate in the playoffs, yet choose not to participate themselves based on their own agendas. This way, you'd have the biggest D-I schools playing in the BCS, the mid-levels in the bowls, and then those playing in the playoffs.

No matter what happens, the FCS classification may be best, but the name FCS leaves a lot to be desired.

JohnStOnge
September 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
This has bothered me since the switch was made. I've used FCS here, as Mainejeff, out of fear of the repercussions of any zealots that might want to jump on me or give me negative rep points for "not being politically correct". But after yesterday, I don't just dislike the FCS designation, I hate it..

I use it here too out of respect for people who really care about the subdivision but I've decided I'm going to quit trying to use it in talking to mainstream college football fans. When I do I have to explain it and the people I talk to think it's ridiculous. Much easier to just use "I-AA." Everybody knows what I'm talking about in terms of the teams/level involved, I don't have to explain things, and I don't get any critical comments about the name change.

downbythebeach
September 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
give it a bit of time and everyone will know of it as FCS............then they'll change it again......lol

89Hen
September 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
You know my feelings on it. I said from day one that I will not call it anything but I-AA. xpeacex

catamount man
September 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I still say I-AA.xthumbsupx

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
It's all just BCS and FCS, not very difficult to remember and its not going to change xtwocentsx

proasu89
September 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
My guess it that the BCS teams (and Bowls) don't want to use those terms because it reminds everyone that a playoff system could be used. ;)

Let's replace that with SHOULD;)

Retro
September 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
It's all just BCS and FCS, not very difficult to remember and its not going to change xtwocentsx

Even you can't get it right......

It's supposed to be FBS and FCS! BCS is the bowl championship series..

I'm using Playoff Division and Bowl Division from now on.. The NCAA doesn't pay my bills!xrolleyesx

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Even you can't get it right......
It's supposed to be FBS and FCS! BCS is the bowl championship series..
I'm using Playoff Division and Bowl Division from now on.. The NCAA doesn't pay my bills!xrolleyesxFBS is an NCAA placeholder like I-AAA used to be. All FBS teams are BCS and that's what they play for. So if it is easier for you then use the names that rhyme:

FCS
BCS

Lionsrking
September 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
The worst was Mark May who kept calling App State a "subdivision team" which makes it sound lower than it already is.

yosef1969
September 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
FBS is an NCAA placeholder like I-AAA used to be. All FBS teams are BCS and that's what they play for. So if it is easier for you then use the names that rhyme:

FCS
BCS

Try and tell that to Conference USA, MAC, and Sunbelt schools. All FBS and not BCS schools.
I-AA is what I still use. Doesn't matter, from the perception of talking heads and most college football fans, we'll always be D-II.

McNeese_beat
September 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
FBS is an NCAA placeholder like I-AAA used to be. All FBS teams are BCS and that's what they play for. So if it is easier for you then use the names that rhyme:

FCS
BCS

That's not really true though...unless your league has an automatic tie-in to the bowl championship series, you aren't really a BCS team. Perhaps you are saying because Boise State managed to find its way into a BCS bowl that all mid-major FBS conferences are really BCS? I don't think that would be the case, otherwise they'd get the same chunk of BCS money...and THAT is where there's an important distinction to be made.

BlueHenBoy
September 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
The networks don't even agknowledge the change. The BOttomLine on ESPN said 1-AA/FCS. Just go back.

Mountaineer
September 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I gave up on trying to explain the FCS/I-AA name after the amount of phone calls, emails and text messages I received yesterday. :D

I'm going back to I-AA for public consumption but will use FCS around these parts. xlolx