View Full Version : Coach Moore and Appalachian State

OL FU
September 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Thank Youxthumbsupx

chantster
September 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Great Coach.

Here is a coach that ran the ball for 30+ years. A vocal few from ASU wanted to get rid of him after the 2004 season after another dismal season.

He goes to West Virginia with his staff to learn the spread offense.

Dismantles his coaching philosophy of ball control and field position to a new offense.

Wins two National Championships and pulls one of the biggest upsets ever in the history of modern college football.

Great Coach.

No_Skill
September 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
He has been a great ambassador for FCS, as well.

I loved it when in the midst of his post game interview he was talking up the division.

Impressed the hell out of me. xthumbsupx

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
He has been a great ambassador for FCS, as well.

I loved it when in the midst of his post game interview he was talking up the division.

Impressed the hell out of me. xthumbsupx

People were talking about Omar Cuff locking up the Payton with his 7 TD performance (which I don't think it did; gave him a great head start on everyone else though)... Does this seal a repeat of the Eddie Robinson award for Coach Moore especially if ASU has a good enough season to make the playoffs?

No_Skill
September 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
People were talking about Omar Cuff locking up the Payton with his 7 TD performance (which I don't think it did; gave him a great head start on everyone else though)... Does this seal a repeat of the Eddie Robinson award for Coach Moore especially if ASU has a good enough season to make the playoffs?

There is a ton of season left. Any Given Saturday.

pete4256
September 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Great Coach.

Here is a coach that ran the ball for 30+ years. A vocal few from ASU wanted to get rid of him after the 2004 season after another dismal season.

He goes to West Virginia with his staff to learn the spread offense.

Dismantles his coaching philosophy of ball control and field position to a new offense.

Wins two National Championships and pulls one of the biggest upsets ever in the history of modern college football.

Great Coach.

Actually, Moore changed things after 2003. He came out with a new O in 2004 and went 6-5. That's when they wanted to fire him. Then his defense got healthy and eligible for 2005.

Ronbo
September 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
If Michigan were smart Jerry Moore and staff would be Coaching in Ann Arbor next season.

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
I liked when he said in the postgame interview on the field when asked if this was his biggest win ever, "great feeling to win but not as important as our two championship victories"

mistersykes
September 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Even though I already knew the class that this program shows, I loved how Coach Moore kept plugging FCS and the Socon. And the players had a relatively even keel too! After a game like that, they were still talking about getting ready for Lenoir-Rhyne. Those comments really impressed me and probably impressed all who watched.

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Thank Youxthumbsupx

OL FU:

Wow! I still cannot quite believe we came out of the Big House with a win. That was truly something else.

And, Bless Lou Holtz for saying that it was NOT an upset, that the best team WON. (That was what I thought too.) ASU was faster, and we simply wanted the game more. By the 4th qtr., when there was no more gas in the tank for numerous ASU players, they still found a way to win the game. Corey Lynch's blocked FG was great, but the best play of the day I thought was at the first of the game. Michigan had just marched down the field like the beginning of a blowout in the making, and then ASU answered with a touchdown pass from Edwards to Jackson who outran the entire Michigan team for about 65 yards to TIE THE GAME. Now, THAT was a message that ASU came to play & thought we could win the game.

But, I heard through the grapevine that Coach Moore's pre-game talk to the players included a comment that ASU could win the game. That message gave them a sense of confidence in themselves and their team when they most needed it. Coach Moore deserves all the accolades he is finally getting. xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Actually, Moore changed things after 2003. He came out with a new O in 2004 and went 6-5. That's when they wanted to fire him. Then his defense got healthy and eligible for 2005.

Not to pick nits, but you make it sound like the cause of the 6-5 season was the change to this new offense. Actually, the real reason for the poor season was that Coach Moore let a bunch of starters go when they were caught using steroids before the season started (at least that is the rumor I heard.) Those let go were mostly starting DL types, so our defense was awful. Especially on the road, our defense stank that year. But because of this a couple of freshmen got chances where they probably should not have - Touchstone & Woahzeah. This was the year Richie's offense scored 56 points in Chattanooga AND LOST!!! I don't think there was much wrong with this offense, and if the DL had just behaved, '04 would have been better.

And, you're right that some were calling for Coach's head. Not me.

feb18blacksunday
September 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Our team is well grounded and Coach Moore and his staff keep them that way. He doesn't want to move up to D1 cause he likes to get the kids that "fall thru the cracks".

Punchykky
September 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Appalachian State. I xbowx down to you. What you accomplished on Saturday at the University of Michigan moved mountains for FCS schools like us. And I thank you for making the impossible possible on any given Saturday.xthumbsupx

igo4uni
September 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
coach Moore is a class act.

walliver
September 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Our team is well grounded and Coach Moore and his staff keep them that way. He doesn't want to move up to D1 cause he likes to get the kids that "fall thru the cracks".

Don't let AGSadmin see that.xlolx

We are D-I.xthumbsupx

majorbta
September 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
One thing I think that is the most noteworthy about coach Moore is the respect he commands, as well as his staff, from the football players. If Moore or his staff say or ask anything, they always respond yes sir and it is done immediately. Even the Michigan fans commented on how well mannered the players were and respectful of the coaching staff.

james_lawfirm
September 3rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
One thing I think that is the most noteworthy about coach Moore is the respect he commands, as well as his staff, from the football players. If Moore or his staff say or ask anything, they always respond yes sir and it is done immediately. Even the Michigan fans commented on how well mannered the players were and respectful of the coaching staff.

I agree. This is more than just window dressing. Although I generally hate the word "respect", I know what you mean. I prefer describing it as maintaining high standards and being of good character. By whatever name, it is truly noteworthy. I believe truly that this character trait of maintaining high standards is THE main reason for Coach Moore's success at ASU.

Ask Lou Holtz, and I can practically guarantee agreement.

The real point is that the ends DO NOT justify the means. Ask Titus Howard (starting DB who sat out the Mich. game for team rules infraction) whether he is inclined to break more rules in the future. By sticking to his standards, Coach Moore sends a message to all.

The best part is, it has been great being around the ASU team with young kids (now they're 12 & almost 14). The players are a group of well-behaved young men. Truly good role models for my boys to look up to. And, add to that the fact that they are champions, and the message for the kids gets even better. Especially given the antics and poor life decisions displayed by many current athletes (e.g., Michael Vick).