PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Cover

mountain man
September 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Rumor has it that the cover next week will feature App with the title Hart-Broken!

Ram Ball
September 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
They deserve it. Incredible win! Congrats

Mountain Panther
September 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Rumor has it that the cover next week will feature App with the title Hart-Broken!

I like "House Broken" better, but that's just me.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
With Michigan paying App $400k; how about a pic of Armanti aka "Money" Edwards diving into the end zone with the caption "Money Maker"

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Well, that settles it.

App now loses to Lenoir-Rhyne, courtesy of the SI Cover Jinx

xnodx

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
more like what the cover will be:

NDSUFREAK
September 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
more like what the cover will be:

....NAWWW

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Well, that settles it.

App now loses to Lenoir-Rhyne, courtesy of the SI Cover Jinx

xnodx

Actually they better be glad they have L-R next week. It'd be almost impossible not to come out flat after a win of that magnitude no matter who you are. I'm sure they will be glad to have some lesser competition to face off following the big win. Much, much better to be facing L-R than Furman, Wofford or Georgia Southern the next week.

For example, in 1993, Wofford (then D-II) opened the season by crushing The Citadel (ranked in the top 10 of I-AA at the time) only to come home and lose to Wingate (a bad D-II program) the next week. Oddly enough, the Terriers went to Furman (also ranked in I-AA at the time) the week after that and came out with a tie.

Eyes of Old Main
September 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
No matter what, Appalachian certainly deserves a place on the cover of SI. I can't think of anything else more significant to take their place.

No, Travis, Buchholz' no-no doesn't compare...

DuckDuckGriz
September 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
The sad thing is that every story about this and cover with major media will focus more on "Michigan's meltdown" rather than "App's triumph."

ButlerGSU
September 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
The sad thing is that every story about this and cover with major media will focus more on "Michigan's meltdown" rather than "App's triumph."

That's true, no one is really saying App went out there and won it. They keep blaming UM's coach for not having their team together. It really isn't fair to App who from the highlights played the game of their lives.

DuckDuckGriz
September 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's true, no one is really saying App went out there and won it. They keep blaming UM's coach for not having their team together. It really isn't fair to App who from the highlights played the game of their lives.

Doug Flutie deserves props. Last night on ESPN in the 'Colleg Football Final' Mark May (biggest downer regarding anything) and Lou Holtz were discussing how Michigan should not even be in the top 25 and how they just gave it away, need to go back to the basics, work hard after this, etc. As the show was ending Flutie goes "Hey - how about good job App guys, haven't heard that the whole time, they just flat out dominated." That was it.

th0m
September 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
In other commentaries Lou Holtz has also been very respectful toward ASU while the other guys were just pointing out Michigan's flaws.

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
more like what the cover will be:Talk radio online was actually questioning whether App players were on steroids because that's the only way they could hang with Michigan. xsmhx

GeauxColonels
September 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. BUT, I saw an article today by Pat Forde on ESPN.com with the title:
Appalachian State earns role as conquering hero (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3001214&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)

Pretty good article and he gives the Mountaineers some props.

UMass922
September 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. BUT, I saw an article today by Pat Forde on ESPN.com with the title:
Appalachian State earns role as conquering hero (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3001214&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)

Good article; thanks for the link. Forde says it well:

This wasn't a No. 16 seed beating a No. 1 -- that would be an insult to the two-time champions of the Division Formerly Known As I-AA. More than anything else, Appalachian State proved Saturday that the best of the little fellers can play exceptional football. That they must be accorded respect. That they are not as far behind the big boys as we've always assumed.

proasu89
September 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM

It didn't hurt that Pat Forde became very familiar with us during our 25-8 basketball season last year. He spent quite a bit of time discussing our post season chances, especially after the Bracketbusters win at Wichita St.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM

That's not true. Lou Holtz himself said it was not an upset and that the better team won. But I agree that the other talking heads on ESPN, who know less about what they are talking about than Coach Holtz, seem to be saying UM lost it.

skinny_uncle
September 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
It didn't hurt that Pat Forde became very familiar with us during our 25-8 basketball season last year. He spent quite a bit of time discussing our post season chances, especially after the Bracketbusters win at Wichita St.xthumbsupx

Although I usually pull for Valley teams in the BB, I didn't mind you beting the Shockers that much. Their mascot may be uglier than yours.
:D

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/images/secondary/aboutwsu/aboutwsu-whatsashocker.jpg

feb18blacksunday
September 2nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
I was there. We dominated the first half. Played not to lose until the last drive. We left 7 points on the field.

proasu89
September 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
xlolx xlolx
Although I usually pull for Valley teams in the BB, I didn't mind you beting the Shockers that much. Their mascot may be uglier than yours.
:D

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/images/secondary/aboutwsu/aboutwsu-whatsashocker.jpg

Thanks...I think
xlolx

Pauly LB
September 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
What is this D-II that you speak of (the Sports Illustrated cover)?

FCSFAN
September 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
What is this D-II that you speak of (the Sports Illustrated cover)?It's a joke about how clueless SI is.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Actually, given it's SI, and knowing their lack of knowledge of non-BCS conferences, they might think Appalachian's in the MAC or Sun Belt xdohx