PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: "Should ASU be invited to join Division-I next season"

th0m
September 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3139

A series of questions about the upset, this is question #4.

I'm not even gonna get upset over their usage of Division-I incorrectly, but what I do find ignorant is that 1) they don't know a moratorium has been set in place 2) how does a DIVISION invite you? and 3) 63% voted YES.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM

I'm not even gonna get upset over their usage of Division-I incorrectly, but what I do find ignorant is that 1) they don't know a moratorium has been set in place 2) how does a DIVISION invite you? and 3) 63% voted YES.

Completely ridiculous... That's all I'm gonna say.

katstrapper
September 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM

Uh, they are already in Div I. Just goes to show that ESPN and other college football fans dont have a clue. Me personally I wouldnt want to go to FBS. At least in the FCS just about everyone has at least a chance to play for national title.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
xnutsx xcoolx

BTW, this is one of the only downsides to yesterday's win... now we'll have to listen to all the should they move to I-A talk for another year. xcoffeex

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
I saw that question. It was just dumb. And the other question about where they would be in the FBS rankings was ridiculous. They are a great team, but if they had to play in, lets say, the Big Ten they'd win 5 games tops.

lambertjr
September 2nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Nope.
Just keep paying them and other 1-AA teams to come to your place and kick your as$.xlolx

chantster
September 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Huge win for ASU as well as FCS.

Sad part is, I doubt if any FBS teams will ever schedule ASU after this.

th0m
September 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
xnutsx xcoolx

BTW, this is one of the only downsides to yesterday's win... now we'll have to listen to all the should they move to I-A talk for another year. xcoffeex

Correct indeed. I've gotten to the point where it's not even worth responding to, although that'd be the desired effect for 'them'.

Mountain Panther
September 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
ESPN's Chris McKendry to Corey Lynch this morning on Sportscenter:

"Do you have a better name for your division?

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Corey took it in stride, saying "I'll leave that up to you guys."

The perfect response would have been "yeah....the BEST division."

Col Hogan
September 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Here's where I have so much heartburn with the folks at UMass who want us to go FBS...and with some of those folks from teams who post here from schools that recently went FBS.....

ESPN analysts say Michigan is out of the National Championship picture with this loss...

ONE loss in the FIRST game...and they are already written off...

The win by ASU is HUGE and they deserve all respect...but they still have to earn the National Championship...no one is going to roll over and just give it to them...

Thus, this ESPN poll is not worth the electrons it takes to put it on your screen...

dgreco
September 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
does mike hart not playing 2 quarters effect the win at all? Do you think if he played all 4 quarters they would of been blown out of the water?

th0m
September 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Michigan was down most of the game, it's not like ASU snuck up on them. Carr had all the opportunity to play Hart he wanted, if he really could've made a difference.

BisonBacker
September 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
ESPN should be ashamed of putting something on it's website that is so full of errors. Invited? Referring to APPY as something other then Division I. Not knowing about the 4 year moratorium.
I agree with djp22192 about it not worth even reading.

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
ESPN's Chris McKendry to Corey Lynch this morning on Sportscenter:

"Do you have a better name for your division?

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Corey took it in stride, saying "I'll leave that up to you guys."

The perfect response would have been "yeah....the BEST division."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Jerbearasu
September 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
does mike hart not playing 2 quarters effect the win at all? Do you think if he played all 4 quarters they would of been blown out of the water?
It does and it doesn't. Yes he was out for quite some time but he had 23 carries... It's not like they were going to give it to him 45 plus times but I understand your point. They are a better team with him on the field and make App account for him even if the play is not going to him bc it keeps them guessing. Do they win? Possibly... Is it a given they do? Not at all since App was winning when he left the game.

mistersykes
September 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
What makes everybody think that ASU wants to join the FBS? Seriously, not only are there no playoffs, but also, it seems like such a large percentage of FBS fans are completely clueless (of course, the great media outlets such as ESPN help the cause a lot...). What a crock.

I like it in FCS (and not just because we're winning). Too bad that we'll be permitted to move up next year. :(

CopperCat
September 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Stupid question from stupid people.

So no, ASU should do what it wants to.

I wish they would have lost this game so that we wouldn't have to talk about it for the next eight months.xrolleyesx

mistersykes
September 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Stupid question from stupid people.

So no, ASU should do what it wants to.

I wish they would have lost this game so that we wouldn't have to talk about it for the next eight months.xrolleyesx

Honestly, I think that most App fans have handled it really well. Most of the threads have been started by non-App people (not that we mind;) ), and none of the less-liked App fans who smack everyone else 24/7 have shown up to gloat. Most everyone is just enjoying the moment, while being grounded about having a whole season to play. The prevailing attitude is "Any Given Saturday" rather than "We're going to destroy everyone else in FCS". That's not too bad, is it?xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
September 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
ESPN really is smarter than it sounds sometimes.

How about we just invite Michigan to join the FCS?

grizband
September 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
ESPN really is smarter than it sounds sometimes.

How about we just invite Michigan to join the FCS?
So they could take 2nd or 3rd in the Gateway? xthumbsupx xlolx

proasu89
September 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM

All you need to know about espn is what it's first letter stands for:

Entertainment & Sports Programming Network

getting it's facts straight isn't very high on their to do listxwhistlex

00bluehen
September 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Question on ESPN's ticker on their front page:

"Armanti Edwards burst on the national scene Saturday in Ann Arbor, which has fans wondering: Why is 'Money' toiling at App State?"

What a load of crap.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Huge win for ASU as well as FCS.

Sad part is, I doubt if any FBS teams will ever schedule ASU after this.

It may be broader than that - you may see a reduction in FBS/FCS match-ups.

appsfan
September 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
xnutsx xcoolx

I think the moratorium should squelch that kind of talk for a couple years.xshhhx

bandit
September 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
FCS went 2-20 against FBS competition this weekend, with the average score 40-10.

That being said: wow, what a great boost the App. State win is for FCS, because it was so visible, and that's all that anybody is talking about. Hopefully it will help lead to increased visibility for all FCS football this year.

Kudos to the Mountaineers!