PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette 49 Marist 10

ngineer
September 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Haven't found any of my PL bretheran of the spotted persuasion posting anything about tonight's game. I watched most on TV, and was wondering what their take was?

TV gives a different perspective than being there live and seeing more than what the screen is giving you, but from what I could see, Marist was really out of their league. I think Lafayette would have gotten a better test from their two-deep. Totally outmanned up front. Tavani got to see a bunch of his youngsters in game situation, so playing a team like Marist does have it's advantages since in the course of he season, the injury bug will hit and you need the two and three's to step in.

I thought Lafayette's QB did a very nice job--of course he has a stellar receiver in Adair, who adjusted well to the throws. White reminds me somewhat of our Ron Jean a few years back, though a little bigger, he's very quick and strong for a small guy. Running behind a huge line like that will be problems for anyone facing LC this year.

Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, occurs next week at Georgetown. I suspect Leopards will be faced with a much stiffer defense. Only real improvement that will need work is the new PK..Strong leg, but missed wide left twice...Could be first game jitters, but when the tight games come arrive having a freshman back there can give you the heavie-jeevies..

colgate13
September 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM
I also want to hear about the G'Town/Stony Brook game. It was close.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Solid day for the PL. Next week should tell us even more with Fordham-Albany, Lehigh-Villanova and Colgate-Umass.

Fordham-URI: Not too suprised Fordham won, figured it would be a close game. Fordham needed a win like this to help build confidence for a team that has struggled the last couple years. Next weeks game against Albany will tell more than today's game.

Lafayette-Marist: From what i understand Lafayette had a huge advantage in the trenches and Marist never had a chance. Still an impressive beat down nonetheless. Probably won't know just how good the Leopards are until they meet Penn in two weeks.

Colgate-Albany: Good win for the Raiders over a quality OOC opponent. Offense still should be a concern especially with Umass up next week. I think their D is good enough to give them a chance but they'll struggle to put up points.

Bucknell-Duquesne: Good win for the Bison over a decent opening game opponent. Have a good shot to start out 3-0 before Richmond visits.

Georgetown-Stony Brook: Followed this game for a little bit. Georgetown seemed like they played pretty good against a team that's better than some of the Hoya fans think. Offense moved the ball running but still struggles mightily to throw the ball. They now embark on a brutal stretch of games, could start 0-5.

carney2
September 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Haven't found any of my PL bretheran of the spotted persuasion posting anything about tonight's game.

Nice summary, ngineer. I'm not up for these night games yet, so here is the quickest and dirtiest summary ever before I get too far into the wee small hours of Sunday AM:

Is Lafayette that good? Probably not.

Is Marist that bad. Maybe.

This was such a horrible mismatch that we learned very little. I hope that the coaches got something out of it. This is the first time that I can ever remember watching a team intentionally try NOT to score. Taking a knee is one thing (they did that too), but intentionally taking a delay of game with the ball on the one - well it shows to go ya that these teams play at different levels.

The post-game fireworks were great.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Nice summary, ngineer. I'm not up for these night games yet, so here is the quickest and dirtiest summary ever before I get too far into the wee small hours of Sunday AM:

This was such a horrible mismatch that we learned very little. I hope that the coaches got something out of it. This is the first time that I can ever remember watching a team intentionally try NOT to score. Taking a knee is one thing (they did that too), but intentionally taking a delay of game with the ball on the one - well it shows to go ya that these teams play at different levels.

What was the attendance for the game?

65 Pard
September 2nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
What was the attendance for the game?

In a thread before the game I opined that the over/under for this game's attendance was 8500.....What do I win??

"Despite what the college did to promote this event, the stands in Fisher Stadium had thousands of vacancies during the Leopards' nonleague romp over Marist. College officials said 8,452 fans showed for the game"

JoltinJoe
September 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
In a thread before the game I opined that the over/under for this game's attendance was 8500.....What do I win??

"Despite what the college did to promote this event, the stands in Fisher Stadium had thousands of vacancies during the Leopards' nonleague romp over Marist. College officials said 8,452 fans showed for the game"

Well, before we jump to that question, did you take the over or the under?;)

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM

8,500 isnt a bad attendance figure for a non-league opponent and an expected mis-match. We should get a very nice crowd against Princeton in a few weeks, and the usual solid homecoming and family weekend crowds.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
8,500 isnt a bad attendance figure for a non-league opponent and an expected mis-match. We should get a very nice crowd against Princeton in a few weeks, and the usual solid homecoming and family weekend crowds.

It thought the 8400+ was a good showing--about what I expected with the all the pregame hype. Obviously, Marist brought very few, and typically, in years past an LC opener against a lesser OOC opponent usually would draw only about 5000. The Princeton game, besides being competitive should also bring some visitors.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Georgetown-Stony Brook: Followed this game for a little bit. Georgetown seemed like they played pretty good against a team that's better than some of the Hoya fans think. Offense moved the ball running but still struggles mightily to throw the ball. They now embark on a brutal stretch of games, could start 0-5.

0-5? Well, the stretch run includes at Pennsylvania, Fordham, at Bucknell, at Lehigh and Colgate.

Suffice it to say that the AI isn't doing Georgetown any favors in this league.

Seawolf97
September 2nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
0-5? Well, the stretch run includes at Pennsylvania, Fordham, at Bucknell, at Lehigh and Colgate.

Suffice it to say that the AI isn't doing Georgetown any favors in this league.

Dont sell the Hoyas short - they played a tough game last night. They kept our defense off balance most of the night, stopped us on the 1 yard line with a minute left in the first half ( Why we didnt go for field goal I dont know ) and were in it till the end.
Our offense came to the rescue and looked pretty good. Georgetown should win some games this season- they are quick.xpeacex

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM

Not to mention that yesterday was a GREAT day to go the Jersey Shore, which is easily reachable from that area.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM

Jeez carney, way to be optimisitc here.. xrolleyesx

As I have quietly said at points during the offseason, I don't understand why DiPaola "isn't the the man" who can carry the team at QB. Yes Marist was unbelievably horrible that I thought I was watching a scrimmage, but DiPaola was composed and made some good plays when he had to... throwing the ball away on the sideline for one was a good example, but that shoulda-been pick was not too swift... again, I did not see anything to dispell the notion that he can't do the job...

I was suprised Curley did not fare as well.. though he was not given many throwing opportunities.

Paulson is an animal... I can see him being a fan favorite shortly.

Crowd was excellent.. the homestands were very full... remember, capacity is 13,200... about 2500 of those seats are on the visitors side (50 Marist fans).. so we had about 8500 of 10,700 seats filled for Lafayette... I know it was crowded because I was complaining about the idiots dawdling in the rows.. and my seat was surrounded with people.. good part was it seemed that there were alot of local people there..

Studetns showed up in force... stadium was gorgeous at sundown.

Pard4Life
September 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Not to mention that yesterday was a GREAT day to go the Jersey Shore, which is easily reachable from that area.

Heck we start at Monmouth next year so walking from the beach to the game is entirely plausible!

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Stadium and related improvements truly provide a wonderful setting for College Football. Any program should be very proud to call the place home!

carney2
September 3rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
Jeez carney, way to be optimisitc here.. xrolleyesx

As I have quietly said at points during the offseason, I don't understand why DiPaola "isn't the the man" who can carry the team at QB. Yes Marist was unbelievably horrible that I thought I was watching a scrimmage, but DiPaola was composed and made some good plays when he had to... throwing the ball away on the sideline for one was a good example, but that shoulda-been pick was not too swift... again, I did not see anything to dispell the notion that he can't do the job...

I was suprised Curley did not fare as well.. though he was not given many throwing opportunities.

Paulson is an animal... I can see him being a fan favorite shortly.

Crowd was excellent.. the homestands were very full... remember, capacity is 13,200... about 2500 of those seats are on the visitors side (50 Marist fans).. so we had about 8500 of 10,700 seats filled for Lafayette... I know it was crowded because I was complaining about the idiots dawdling in the rows.. and my seat was surrounded with people.. good part was it seemed that there were alot of local people there..

Studetns showed up in force... stadium was gorgeous at sundown.

Let's talk after the Penn game. Then we'll know something. DiPaola will be a question mark until he proves himself against a real team. A few of those coming up.

Have seen Curley twice now. As you hint, Curley "looks" good, but the offense does not seem to move when he is on the field. Good arm. Maybe he will get the rest of it together. The coaches obviously see something. Jones seems to be slipping from the radar screen.

Where were the students? I saw them heading toward the stadium before the game, but from where I sat, there didn't seem to be a defined "student section."

Great atmosphere. I thought that last year's Lehigh game was the best atmosphere for THE Game that I have ever seen, and I have been to many.

Looking forward to Princeton. They usually bring their own crowd, so the place ought to be hopping again.

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Yes, I went to the game, stayed overnite and then went on to Long Beach Island (LBI). Did anyone else note how Tavani had the team take an intentional delay of game in the final minute when LC had the ball inside Marist's 10? At that point I think a TD was a given but Frank has class.

Pards Rule
September 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
The night game was fantastic. It really was strange seeing the sun set behind the trees at the scoreboard. The Morning Call had an excellent color shot at twilight of the field from the Kirby end zone in Sundays (9/2) paper. Anyone can post it?

letsgopards04
September 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I remember a nasty game (maybe G'Town) over Fall Break (caught it on TV) where near halftime they panned around and there could not have been more than 100 people in the stands. I'll take 8500 any time.

Franks Tanks
September 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I remember a nasty game (maybe G'Town) over Fall Break (caught it on TV) where near halftime they panned around and there could not have been more than 100 people in the stands. I'll take 8500 any time.

How about the O5 Columbia game in the Monsoon. I believe that was fall break as well and there were defintily more people on the field than in the stands that day xlolx

Go...gate
September 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
To the Lafayette fans who saw the game: Did the Marist club look like potential PL material from a personnel standpoint, or are they way below us?

aceinthehole
September 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
To the Lafayette fans who saw the game: Did the Marist club look like potential PL material from a personnel standpoint, or are they way below us?

I was thinking the same thing. Seems Duquesne is still the best the MAAC has to offer. They put up a good game vs. Bucknell. The remaining schedule includes Brown and 4 NEC teams (Monmouth, RMU, SHU, Wag).

The Dukes have announced the addition of scholarships and a move to the NEC in 2008. Marist has yet to announce post-MAAC plans, but do have 4 PL teams on the schedule this year (Lafayette, Bucknell, Fordham, and G-town).

Should Duquesne, a full-time member of the A-10, been a target of the PL for football? Although the NEC lost Stony Brook, the Dukes may wind up being a very nice replacement.

What does the future hold for Marist?

carney2
September 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM

The were not competitive, but the biggest difference was size. I believe that the Lafayette offensive line outweighed their counterparts on the Marist defensive side by something like 65 lbs. per man.

This is the Patriot League and not the SEC. Gaps can be closed if there is a will. I don't really believe that Marist's ability to compete in football is the primary consideration for them to become a Patriot League member though, is it?