PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-1

JALMOND
November 1st, 2021, 09:09 PM
"And down the stretch they come". Three weeks to go and the top part of the conference is still a big mess. Usually there are one or two teams that seem to be the favorite when November starts, but this year, the Big Sky has six teams. This should set up a mad dash to the finish where games begin to count more and style points give way to "just win, baby". Here are this week's power rankings (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Buckle up, it's going to be a crazy ride.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week bye, this week at Eastern Washington---The Bobcats took last week off from their impressive start to prepare for their final games and none are as big as the one this week. They hit the road for a tough battle with Eastern Washington in a game that, while may not decide things, will set the tone for the rest of the season.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Eagles entered their bye weekend after a tough home loss to a resurgent Weber State team, but they also had an extra week to prepare for their home stretch. They get a home game this weekend against Montana State, and then a tough road game the following week at UC Davis. Eek!

3. Sacramento State (2)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 27-24, this week Cal Poly at home---The Hornets put their undefeated streak on the line on the road and did get a tough win against one of the bottom feeders. They get another bottom feeder this weekend, this time at their house. They've got a fairly smooth run to their rivalry game but they can't afford to stub their toe.

4. UC Davis (5)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---The Aggies took last week off as well to prepare for perhaps the roughest stretch run anyone has to face in the conference. This week's game should be the easiest, but they have one loss in a dome so far this year, and in this game, they also have to contend with altitude. Win it and things get really tough.

5. Weber State (6)---Last week won at Idaho State 40-17, this week Portland State at home---Just in time for the party, the Wildcats seem to be back in the thick of things. They didn't suffer a letdown after their big road win at Eastern Washington, but they got another road win indoors. They need to keep rolling along as they don't have much room for error.

6. Montana (4)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 20-19, this week at Northern Colorado---What is going on with the Grizzlies? It looked like they were back on their winning ways at Idaho the previous week and then tried their best to give the game this past weekend to a lowly opponent. Perhaps they were looking ahead to Northern Colorado, but that doesn't make much sense.

7. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week won at Idaho 38-31, this week UC Davis at home---After looking pathetic the week before, the Lumberjacks put their things together and got a good road win last week. Harboring slim playoff hopes and needing a statement win, they get a chance at home this weekend for an impressive win, and another chance next week.

8. Portland State (9)---Last week, beat Cal Poly at home 42-21, this week at Weber State---A daunting task for the Vikings who also hold slim playoff hopes. After a win at home last week, they head out on the road for a tough game against one of the conference heavy hitters. Their stretch run is against all heavy hitters so they may have a shot if they win out.

9. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 27-24, this week Montana at home---Playing the role of spoiler in the conference, the Bears almost did just that last weekend, but Sacramento State flexed their muscle and the Bears ended up on the short end. They now entertain a reeling Montana squad and get them in the Bear's den.

10. Idaho (8)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 38-31, this week Southern Utah at home---The Vandals came up on the short end of a game that they really needed last week. Their season slowly going away, they get a good shot at a win this weekend with the conference patsy coming to town. Good time as any to get a much deserved win.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 40-17, this week at Brigham Young (FBS Independent)---Fresh off their tough home loss last week, the Bengals step out of conference play and move up to the FBS level with a date against Brigham Young. A win would definitely send shock waves through both the FBS and FCS, but the Bengals would want to avoid any injury/

12. Southern Utah (13)---Last week lost at Montana 20-19, this week at Idaho---One blocked field goal is what kept the Thunderbirds from springing a major upset at this point in conference play. One has to think that it resurrected hope that the Thunderbirds will get a conference win in their final season. If they play like they did last week, they may have a chance this weekend.

13. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost at Portland State 42-21, this week at Sacramento State---My but that win the first game of the year seems so long ago. The Mustangs took another one on the chin last week and continue their search for that elusive conference win this season. If last weekend was tough, wait until they experience what this weekend will bring.

RECAP: 1-6 out front, 7-8 a ways behind, 9-10 fading, 11-13 off the pace

wapiti
November 2nd, 2021, 10:13 AM
1. Montana State ---MSU did not look good against Bye. Finished in a tie 0-0. MSU needs 1 more win for a playoff guarantee (@EWU, UI, @UM)

2. Sacramento State --Sac struggled against 1 clipboard short UNC. Road games can be that way sometimes. Nonetheless Sac earned the W. Needs 2 more win (CP, PSU, @UCD)

3. Eastern Washington ---EWU also struggled to a 0-0 tie against Bye. Both MSU and EWU had a bye to prepare to play each other. Needs 2 more wins (MSU, @UCD, @PSU)

4. UC Davis ---Will UCD be ready for a road game against a weaker opponent?? Needs 1 more win (@NAU, EWU, Sac)

5. Weber State ---BBQ finishes their schedule with the easy part of their schedule. Needs to win out to be a 7 win bubble team (PSU, @SUU, UNC)

6. Montana ---Griz struggled against SUU, but somehow the football god blessed them with a terrible kicker for SUU and took the W. Needs 2 more wins (@UNC, @NAU, MSU)

7. Northern Arizona ---NAU won a road game. Needs to win out to be a bubble. (UCD, UM, @CP)

8. Portland State --- Having 2 FBS games and a Div 2 hurt PSU chances of a playoff spot. PSU is out of the playoff hunt. Can only get to 6 Div 1 wins. (@BBQ, @Sac, EWU)

9. Idaho ---Losing 2 in a row at home is not good. (SUU, @MSU, @ISU)

10. Northern Colorado ---Gave Sac a close game, but lost at home. (UM, Bye, @BBQ)

11. Idaho State ---@BYU this weekend. ISU is going to get curb stomped. (@BYU, @CP, UI)

12. Southern Utah ---Gave UM all they could handle. If only SUU had a decent kicker?? (@UI, BBQ, Bye)

13. Cal Poly ---CP and SUU fighting this last place spot. CP gets it this week due to SUU playing UM so close. (@SAc, ISU, NAU)

RECAP: 1-4 leading the way, 5-7 a half-step behind, 8-10 fading out, 11-13 bottom of the barrel

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2021, 11:24 AM
1. Montana State ---MSU did not look good against Bye. Finished in a tie 0-0. MSU needs 1 more win for a playoff guarantee (@EWU, UI, @UM)

2. Sacramento State --Sac struggled against 1 clipboard short UNC. Road games can be that way sometimes. Nonetheless Sac earned the W. Needs 2 more win (CP, PSU, @UCD)

3. Eastern Washington ---EWU also struggled to a 0-0 tie against Bye. Both MSU and EWU had a bye to prepare to play each other. Needs 2 more wins (MSU, @UCD, @PSU)

4. UC Davis ---Will UCD be ready for a road game against a weaker opponent?? Needs 1 more win (@NAU, EWU, Sac)

5. Weber State ---BBQ finishes their schedule with the easy part of their schedule. Needs to win out to be a 7 win bubble team (PSU, @SUU, UNC)

6. Montana ---Griz struggled against SUU, but somehow the football god blessed them with a terrible kicker for SUU and took the W. Needs 2 more wins (@UNC, @NAU, MSU)

7. Northern Arizona ---NAU won a road game. Needs to win out to be a bubble. (UCD, UM, @CP)

8. Portland State --- Having 2 FBS games and a Div 2 hurt PSU chances of a playoff spot. PSU is out of the playoff hunt. Can only get to 6 Div 1 wins. (@BBQ, @Sac, EWU)

9. Idaho ---Losing 2 in a row at home is not good. (SUU, @MSU, @ISU)

10. Northern Colorado ---Gave Sac a close game, but lost at home. (UM, Bye, @BBQ)

11. Idaho State ---@BYU this weekend. ISU is going to get curb stomped. (@BYU, @CP, UI)

12. Southern Utah ---Gave UM all they could handle. If only SUU had a decent kicker?? (@UI, BBQ, Bye)

13. Cal Poly ---CP and SUU fighting this last place spot. CP gets it this week due to SUU playing UM so close. (@SAc, ISU, NAU)

RECAP: 1-4 leading the way, 6-7 a half-step behind, 8-10 fading out, 11-13 bottom of the barrel

I don't understand why teams schedule ZERO FCS OOC games. Really puts you behind the 8-ball from the get-go, having to go at least 7-1 in conference to have a chance. I think going 6-2 in conference (also FCS), on a 5 game win streak, and running the gauntlet of @BBQ, @ Sac St. and vs. EWU, they'd get a look for an at-large, but it would need to be a weak bubble field. Of course.... running the table is highly improbable.

Where are you putting #5 Weber? I assume a half-step behind, but perhaps not with their "easy" remaining schedule.

wapiti
November 2nd, 2021, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why teams schedule ZERO FCS OOC games. Really puts you behind the 8-ball from the get-go, having to go at least 7-1 in conference to have a chance. I think going 6-2 in conference (also FCS), on a 5 game win streak, and running the gauntlet of @BBQ, @ Sac St. and vs. EWU, they'd get a look for an at-large, but it would need to be a weak bubble field. Of course.... running the table is highly improbable.

Where are you putting #5 Weber? I assume a half-step behind, but perhaps not with their "easy" remaining schedule.

Are there any BBQ fans on this board??
I put BBQ in the half-step behind, but with their remaining schedule they should find themselves in the leading the way before the end of the regular season.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2021, 11:47 AM

It needs to be a situation where the committee cannot fill the field out with teams with 7 quality DI wins, and they need to look at those with 6. If Portland State were to win out, they would come into the playoffs with wins over 3 top 25 teams, two of which were on the road. I am not saying they (excuse me, we) should be in but it would be worth considering.

I do think it is all a moot point. I think after this week, both PSU and NAU's chances will be done.

MSUBobcat
November 2nd, 2021, 12:00 PM
It needs to be a situation where the committee cannot fill the field out with teams with 7 quality DI wins, and they need to look at those with 6. If Portland State were to win out, they would come into the playoffs with wins over 3 top 25 teams, two of which were on the road. I am not saying they (excuse me, we) should be in but it would be worth considering.

I do think it is all a moot point. I think after this week, both PSU and NAU's chances will be done.

As recently as 2018, a 6 DI win Elon made the playoff field (went 6-4 due to a hurricane-cancelled game), so with that final stretch run, PSU would be considered for sure and depending on bubble could make it. But.... yeah, PSU and NAU are likely done after this weekend.

wapiti
November 2nd, 2021, 12:53 PM

There is a very long outside shot of a chance that PSU could still get in as an at-large, but it would require a bunch of other teams to lose a game or two. (and not just in the Big Sky)

mvemjsunpx
November 2nd, 2021, 04:49 PM
The 7 DI win "rule" isn't a thing anymore, at least not officially. If PSU can somehow get to 7-4, they'll probably get in. Their chances of getting to 7-4 with that schedule are practically nil, though.

wapiti
November 2nd, 2021, 06:11 PM
The 7 DI win "rule" isn't a thing anymore, at least not officially. If PSU can somehow get to 7-4, they'll probably get in. Their chances of getting to 7-4 with that schedule are practically nil, though.

Portland State can only get to 6 Div 1 wins. One of their wins is over Western Oregon, which is sub div 1.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2021, 06:35 PM

As a PSU fan, I'm not holding my breath. If we can somehow get by Weber and Sac State, then I'll be more vocal about it, but right now I'm more concerned with getting Rocky in the NAIA playoffs. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2021, 07:43 PM
Portland State can only get to 6 Div 1 wins. One of their wins is over Western Oregon, which is sub div 1.
That's why he said the rule isn't a thing anymore.

mvemjsunpx
November 2nd, 2021, 08:11 PM
That's why he said the rule isn't a thing anymore.

Yeah, I think they got rid of it a few years ago. It wasn't a literal requirement (& it replaced the "4 loss rule" that used to be in place), but it was a de facto requirement.